PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Assistant Coaches to hire

Ralphy Boy
12-09-2009, 10:17 PM
Anyone have any suggestions on possible assistant coaches? The obvious names of Romeo Crennel & Charlie Weis have been beaten to death so I'm looking for some fresh names that we haven't already discussed at length. For the record I'd love to have either or both of them but I'm looking for other names and positions other than coordinator.

Current Chiefs coaches that were on staff prior to Haley's arrival and most likely to be shown the door: Bob Bicknell, Joe D'Alessandris, Tim Krumrie, Brent Salazar & Cedric Smith.
Positions we need to fill based on the above coaches going away and positions currently vacant: OC, QB, DL, TE, DB & Asst OL. Salazar & Smith are Strength & Conditioning coaches and given Todd Haley's Biggest Loser contest/massive conditioning overhaul last offseason, I'd think he'd be inclined to keep them around.

I'm hoping that since they never hired a coach specifically for the DB's Clancy's title as DC was offered as a one-year gig and that he'll move to coaching the Secondary after this season. It's what he coached in Dallas from 02-06 and Haley gets to keep his buddy on staff and hire a DC who actually knows how to run a 3-4.

It could be based on either the head coach being on the hot seat and likely shown the door or college coaches looking to move up to the big leagues.

Ralphy Boy
12-09-2009, 10:18 PM
Some of the names I've come up with that I didn't want to put in the header:

College Coaches that might be options:
Defensive Line Al Groh, Head Coach, Virginia. Was Todd's boss with the Jets and worked for Parcells at the Giants as the LB coach from 89-90 and the DC in 91, before becoming the DC for BB in Cleveland in 92 and returned to work with Parcells from 93 to 96 as DC and moved with him to the Jets as LB coach from 97-99 eventually becoming the HC in 2000 before leaving for the Virginia job. Got fired this season after 9 years, for a defensive coach, his defenses were never very good. Not saying he's a DC but may be the DL or LB coach, or at least a possibility at consultant. Obviously knows the 3-4. He has done a good job developing players for the NFL, Eugene Monroe, Albert, Chris Canty, Chris Long, D'Brickashaw, Heath Miller.

Asst Offensive Line Scott Huff, Offensive Line Coach, Boise State. No connection to anyone, but has to be turning some heads with the way the Boise State O-line has played. Was a 2002 graduate of Boise State and has coached the O-line for 3 seasons. During his first season, he coached Ryan Clady, who really improved over his senior season. Currently Boise State ranks #1 in college football with only 5 sacks allowed.link (http://www.cfbstats.com/2009/leader/national/team/defense/split01/category20/sort01.html). He is a young guy and might be a good hire to be replace Joe D'Alessandris, who is currently our assistant O-line coach that was brought onboard with Chan Gailey after serving as his O-line coach at Georgia Tech. I can't see them replacing Bill Muir since Haley hired him and they worked together with the Jets, but Huff is a young guy who could eventually replace Muir.

Notre Dame Coaches:
These would be a lot more likely hires if Weis came on board, but I think they deserve consideration whether he does or not. Its very hard to find young talented coaches.
TE Coach Rob Ianello, Asst Head Coach, Receivers Coach & Recruiting Coordinator. Has coached several players including Golden Tate, Owen Daniels, Jeff Samardzija, BOBBY WADE and Dennis Northcutt. Obviously he'd know the offense we run and I think he'd give us a bit of an edge on college players this coming draft. My initial thought was WR coach, but, since Haley brought him in, Dedric Ward probably isn't going anywhere and since Bicknell wasn't a Haley guy, he gets the axe. If not he could be a Offensive Assistant.

QB Coach Ron Powlus, QB Coach, Notre Dame.
Only the QB coach since 2007 and was Director of Personnel Development before that, but was a Notre Dame QB who went undrafted and spent minimal time with the Oilers, Lions & Eagles. He's probably due some credit for Clausen, but the real credit goes to Weis. He's also a ND alum, so he may stay put. If Haley hires an OC, I could see him hiring a guy to help him with the QB though he'd be very involved.

QB Coach Jeremy Bates, USC
Only been at USC this season, was on Shanahan's Denver staff since 2005 working as WR/QB coach in 2007 & QB coach in 2008. My only thought here is regarding how well Jay Cutler while working with him.

The main idea with the last 4 is their youth. All are fairly young and have a lot of upside.

Couple of coaches I wouldn't want, that we might go after anyway:
Eric Mangini, DC. The guy is a prick, but he does know the defense and has all the obvious connections to Haley & Pioli. The question is if Pioli is so pissed about the SpyGate fiasco that he'd have anything to do with him. Don't know how much credit he is due for the defense since BB pulled the strings. His 08 Jets were ranked #16, 07 was #18 and 06 was #20. Cleveland is dead last in total defense this year so I'm inclined to think he's been overrated. It is interesting to think that Cleveland fired one Patriots DC to hire another.

Rob Ryan, Defensive Coordinator, Cleveland Browns.
I'll puke if this happens. Some people forget that he was on Belichicks staff in New England from 2000 thru 2003 as the linebackers coach. Really wouldn't want him because he's never been a great DC, though his 06 Raiders were ranked #3. Every other year he's been a DC, the team has been near the bottom and his Cleveland defense is last in the league. Just throwing the name out because Mangini might be shown the door and he has a BB connection.

BryanBusby
12-09-2009, 10:39 PM
Jeremy Bates is likely going to follow Mike Shanahan to whatever NFL team hires him. I wouldn't mind having him as an offensive coordinator though.

chiefzilla1501
12-09-2009, 10:52 PM
You also have to consider what coaches are on the chopping block:

-First, Mike Martz is on the market. Keep him away from playcalling, but in terms of QBs coaching, he's one of the best in the game

REDSKINS:
-Jim Zorn--phenomenal QBs coach. I think he would make a decent OC too--like Haley, I think he was in way over his head trying to coach and call plays at the same time
-How about Joe Bugel (Redskins' o-line coach). The Redskins' o-line has struggled this season, but I think that's due moreso to a lack of talent than poor coaching. He is very highly regarded as an o-line coach.
-Greg Blache--coordinator of the Bears in the early century. Has done a terrific job w/Washington's defense this year.
Actually, the defensive coaching talent in Washington is strong. There's a good chance they can pull some of these guys in a lateral move

BILLS:
-Perry Fewell--probably won't coordinate the defense, because he's not a 3-4 guy. But he's got a lot of experience as a D-backs coach.
-Bob Sanders--a truckload of experience as a coach. Might take a lateral move over to D-line

BEARS:
-Bob Babich--lots of experience as a LBs coach
-Lovie Smith--it's a wild card. But on the very big off-chance he decides to go back to positional coaching, he's a very good LBs coach

RAIDERS:
-John Marshall--a wealth of experience at D-line/LBs, if he goes back to positional coaching
-James Lofton (formerly) -- WRs? And his name always pops up for head coach openings--given that Haley probably won't want a strong voice at OC, is this a young, raw guy the Chiefs might not mind bringing in?

BROWNS:
-Brian Daboll--not an exciting candidate. But he has a ton of experience w/the Jets and Patriots (QBs and WRs), which leads you to believe he'll be a top candidate.
-Carl Smith (ditto)--QBs
-Jerome Henderson--D-backs--might not be a bad guy to look at
-Rob Ryan--he was mentioned for D-coordinator, which would be horrible. But as a LBs coach, this wouldn't be such a horrible thing.

Brock
12-09-2009, 10:54 PM
Wad Phillips

Ralphy Boy
12-09-2009, 11:34 PM
You also have to consider what coaches are on the chopping block:

-First, Mike Martz is on the market. Keep him away from playcalling, but in terms of QBs coaching, he's one of the best in the game

I can't see Martz leaving the studio to be a QB coach, but I wouldnt have a problem with it. Anyone can say whatever they want about Martz's antics, but the guy is smarter than most OC's and could very well take the job just to learn all the in's and out's of the Earhardt-Perkins style of offense and the Fairbanks 3-4 and come out of it looking like the genius everyone thought he was back in 1999 to 2001. I'd maybe even use him as a consultant to see how other teams would attach our defense. His insight couldn't make us any worse.

REDSKINS:
-Jim Zorn--phenomenal QBs coach. I think he would make a decent OC too--like Haley, I think he was in way over his head trying to coach and call plays at the same time
-How about Joe Bugel (Redskins' o-line coach). The Redskins' o-line has struggled this season, but I think that's due moreso to a lack of talent than poor coaching. He is very highly regarded as an o-line coach.
-Greg Blache--coordinator of the Bears in the early century. Has done a terrific job w/Washington's defense this year.
Actually, the defensive coaching talent in Washington is strong. There's a good chance they can pull some of these guys in a lateral move

Isn't Zorn a WCO guy? Can't see him as OC. Maybe QB coach. Has Blache ever run a 3-4?

BEARS:
-Bob Babich--lots of experience as a LBs coach
-Lovie Smith--it's a wild card. But on the very big off-chance he decides to go back to positional coaching, he's a very good LBs coach

I wouldn't be the least bit surprised to see Lovie as a DC again somewhere. The Tampa 2 might be out for now, but everything gets recycled in the NFL. The 3-4 is hot now, but with every team moving to that as their base D, the players are going to get harder and harder to find. Before long the Tampa 2 will have some success again and be back en vogue.

RAIDERS:
-John Marshall--a wealth of experience at D-line/LBs, if he goes back to positional coaching
-James Lofton (formerly) -- WRs? And his name always pops up for head coach openings--given that Haley probably won't want a strong voice at OC, is this a young, raw guy the Chiefs might not mind bringing in?
With them having 4 wins and possible wins coming against Washington & Cleveland, I wouldn't be shocked if Al kept Tom Cable around since their record has improved. Cable seems like someone AD would like.

Dante84
12-09-2009, 11:49 PM
I'm not sure how it normally works, but wouldn't it most likely be a trickle down effect? We hire the OC/DC first, then bring them in on the rest of the hiring decisions since those guys will be answering to the Coordinator first?

I know this past year it didn't work like that, since we got in the hiring game well after most guys had been picked up. We have a pretty rag-tag bunch of coaches right now. I think heads are going to roll, and Pioli and Haley will begin to assemble the "Right 12" or however many coaches they deem necessary.

Won't we most likely hire from the top down, though?

Ralphy Boy
12-10-2009, 12:18 AM
I'm not sure how it normally works, but wouldn't it most likely be a trickle down effect? We hire the OC/DC first, then bring them in on the rest of the hiring decisions since those guys will be answering to the Coordinator first?

I know this past year it didn't work like that, since we got in the hiring game well after most guys had been picked up. We have a pretty rag-tag bunch of coaches right now. I think heads are going to roll, and Pioli and Haley will begin to assemble the "Right 12" or however many coaches they deem necessary.

Won't we most likely hire from the top down, though?

Normally I'd say your right, but Haley IMO has control issues. He's going to hire someone to run his offense, if he hires anyone to be OC. Defense he'd probably be less involved.

CaliforniaChief
12-10-2009, 12:26 AM
Anyone know if Rich Gannon is interested in getting into coaching? I love his takes, he seems to buy into Todd Haley, and in my opinion, would be a great QB coach.

KCChiefsMan
12-10-2009, 01:10 AM
Ditka

BryanBusby
12-10-2009, 01:12 AM
Anyone know if Rich Gannon is interested in getting into coaching? I love his takes, he seems to buy into Todd Haley, and in my opinion, would be a great QB coach.

I'd highly doubt Gannon would be interested in being a positional coach. He'd work a hell lot more hours than his current gig and likely make less money. He's also been out of the game in a more hands-on approach for going on 5 years now, which is an awfully long amount of time.

It's too bad, as he potentially could of been a great one.

'Hamas' Jenkins
12-10-2009, 01:23 AM
Lovie Smith will most likely end up with the Colts or Bucs. He's a Tampa 2 guy, through and through.

You guys have to look at the systems these guys come from.

If a guy is known as a 4-3 or WCO guy, forget about it, he's not coming here. Nor are we going to be hiring someone w/ experience in Air Coryell

BossChief
12-10-2009, 01:27 AM
Wad Phillips

this

booger
12-10-2009, 02:17 AM
If they either go after "their guys" like alot of teams do remember the interns for the first year @ training camp. Anderson took over for Ward as WR coach so who knows if that changed. Asst. GM Joel Collier is basically the QB coach since Gailey's firing. He's more noticable lately down on the bench talking w/ Cassel. I think he was in the press box before the bye week anyway. Nick Sirianni, the offensive quality control coach, was to help with the QB's as well. Ward may have been demoted to help with punt returners and assist w/WR's. Anderson seems to be front and center with Haley and Mo Carthon. Just a guess on my part but Ward probably moves on next year.

Probably Joe D’Alessandris as well since he was a Gailey guy. Probably goes back to the college level coaching OL.

Like Anderson, Pleasant has stuck around and helped w/the DL and OLB's. I wouldn't be suprised if both of them are both full time coaches on the staff just not officially anounced. Pleasant could be an OLB coach if they label it like some teams that run the 34 do with an OLB and ILB coaching each group. Or college does DE's and DT's coaches. That's basically the current setup with Pleasant and Krumrie.

I think Ronnie Bradford is a valueable coach since he has experience with Denver coaching CB's S's and DB's as a group as well as being their special teams coach. No doubt he has helped ease Hoffman from a kicking coach into coaching the whole unit. Not taking anything away from him as he was a long time QC coach on both O and D too.

That leaves Clancy and Gary Gibbs as possibly being replaced. Pat Perles has experience on both sides of the ball so maybe he would be a candidate to coach the OL w/Bill Muir.

Also Otis Smith came in to help with the corners for a couple weeks. There is potential there for a hire for next year too i'm sure.

Strength and conditioning is a hard one to guess. Simply a matter if they do it the way Haley wants it done.

As far as new names i agree on Weis, Crennel, Rob Ryan, Al Groh, etc. The connection is there. If something happens in Miami keep an eye on Paul Pasqueloni as he and Pioli and Collier have the Syracuse connection and coached together. Todd Bowles in Miami was a HC candidate last offseason could be another DC candidate. Although he could get promoted in Miami too. I wouldn't expect Pioli/Haley to ruffle feathers with Parcells so Bowles would be a suprise.

CHIEFS HAVE FOUR INTERNS WITH THEM IN RIVER FALLS

There are four coaching interns on the practice fields for the Chiefs in the first days of training camp:

Anthony Pleasant – A former DE/OLB who played 14 seasons in the NFL with the Browns, Ravens, Falcons, Jets, 49ers and Patriots, where he won a pair of Super Bowl rings. He appeared in 202 games with 58 career sacks.

Richie Anderson – A former NFL fullback who made the 2001 Pro Bowl while playing with the New York Jets. He also played for the Dallas Cowboys. He retired after 12 seasons in the NFL with 318 carries for 1,274 yards and four touchdowns. Anderson also caught 397 passes for 3,149 yards and 14 TDs.

Jamar Cain – is a member of the coaching staff at Cal Poly where he handles the defensive line. He spent the previous three seasons working on Terry Allen’s staff at Missouri State.

Chip Taylor – is a member of the coaching staff at Valparaiso where he handles the defensive backs. He did a training camp internship last summer with the Arizona Cardinals.

http://www.bobgretz.com/chiefs-football/monday-cup-o%e2%80%99chiefs-2.html#more-9744

Jamar Cain bio (all coaches on same page)
http://www.calpolymustangs.com/index.php?p=sports_info&cat_sport=29891&id=41161

Chip Taylor bio
http://www.valpoathletics.com/directory/default/122/3712/

booger
12-10-2009, 02:34 AM
Akron: FootballScoop is hearing that Notre Dame wide receivers coach has interviewed at Akron and San Jose State. There is a report that Akron could name Ianello as the new head coach by Thursday.

http://www.footballscoop.com/?cat=24

good site to keep up on coaching rumors.

booger
12-10-2009, 02:37 AM
Aside from following shannyhan Bates could wind up in Chicago if lovie doesn't get canned. I think PFT had something on that.

BryanBusby
12-10-2009, 02:54 AM
Aside from following shannyhan Bates could wind up in Chicago if lovie doesn't get canned. I think PFT had something on that.

Lovie Smith is a goner

booger
12-10-2009, 02:56 AM
with the history of Cutler and Bates it wouldn't be a suprise no matter who the HC is.

booger
12-10-2009, 02:58 AM
Blache and Haley coached together in Chicago. That doesn't change Blache's 43 background and KC's 34 though.

angelo
12-10-2009, 08:05 AM
What about Carl Pelini (Nebraska DC/DL Coach) for DL Coach.
Has KC ties (Coached at Winnetonka 4 years)

I like the idea of the Boise OL coach.

Ang

Ralphy Boy
12-14-2009, 08:49 PM
Just thought of another one. John Bunting, former head coach at UNC. He was the co-DC in St Louis from 1997 to 1999 and was with the Chiefs from 93-96. Coached DE's from 93-94 and LB's from 95-96.
We ran a 3-4 with him as our LB coach in 93 but switched to a 4-3 in 94.

The Rams were pretty good under him (#4 in points in 99), but when Martz got the HC job, he left. Peter Guinta got the DC job for a season before getting fired. Bunting was in NO for one year before getting the HC job at his alma mater UNC, where he coached Peppers and made Ryan Sims look like he actually had talent. Obviously he got fired at UNC after the 06 season because they weren't very good.

I know his preference is a 4-3, but between the DL & LB spots, we could use more than a little help.

ILChief
12-14-2009, 09:06 PM
Anyone have any suggestions on possible assistant coaches? The obvious names of Romeo Crennel & Charlie Weis have been beaten to death so I'm looking for some fresh names that we haven't already discussed at length. For the record I'd love to have either or both of them but I'm looking for other names and positions other than coordinator.

Current Chiefs coaches that were on staff prior to Haley's arrival and most likely to be shown the door: Bob Bicknell, Joe D'Alessandris, Tim Krumrie, Brent Salazar & Cedric Smith.
Positions we need to fill based on the above coaches going away and positions currently vacant: OC, QB, DL, TE, DB & Asst OL. Salazar & Smith are Strength & Conditioning coaches and given Todd Haley's Biggest Loser contest/massive conditioning overhaul last offseason, I'd think he'd be inclined to keep them around.

I'm hoping that since they never hired a coach specifically for the DB's Clancy's title as DC was offered as a one-year gig and that he'll move to coaching the Secondary after this season. It's what he coached in Dallas from 02-06 and Haley gets to keep his buddy on staff and hire a DC who actually knows how to run a 3-4.

It could be based on either the head coach being on the hot seat and likely shown the door or college coaches looking to move up to the big leagues.

A potential OC to keep an eye on is Jason Garrett. I'd say Wade is history and Jerry will want to get a Shanahan/Holmgren type coach. Garrett and Haley worked together in Dallas under Parcells so it could be a logical choice

philfree
12-14-2009, 09:30 PM
Lovie Smith will most likely end up with the Colts or Bucs. He's a Tampa 2 guy, through and through.

You guys have to look at the systems these guys come from.

If a guy is known as a 4-3 or WCO guy, forget about it, he's not coming here. Nor are we going to be hiring someone w/ experience in Air Coryell

I don't have a clue as to what "kind" of offense we run. Todd's wadd?

PhilFree:arrow:

Ralphy Boy
12-14-2009, 09:45 PM
A potential OC to keep an eye on is Jason Garrett. I'd say Wade is history and Jerry will want to get a Shanahan/Holmgren type coach. Garrett and Haley worked together in Dallas under Parcells so it could be a logical choice

Yeah given that Jerry has openly questioned them not using Marion Barber more, I'd think that both of them could be on their way out. I'd be happy as hell with Garrett, though I think he'd get a look from some teams as a HC since they do have the #3 rated Offense and there are going to be a lot of openings. I'd fall out of my chair if we could get both of them to come here.

Given all the possible head coaching changes; Dallas, Washington, Jax, Carolina, Chicago, Seattle, Cleveland, Buffalo, Houston & Oakland, there could be a huge shakeup this year and several former head coaches will probably re-enter the league. Cowher, Marty, Shanahan, Gruden to name a few. Hell even Herm might get another shot.

Marty has come right out and said he isn't going back into coaching.

Best case scenario for us is Wade gets fired, they hire Shanahan who brings in either the newly fired Kubiak or his son or Jeremy Bates. We add Wade and Garrett.

RustShack
12-14-2009, 09:51 PM
Bunting was with the Chiefs last year..

Ralphy Boy
12-14-2009, 10:13 PM
Bunting was with the Chiefs last year..

I forgot all about that. Yeah that didn't work so well.

T-post Tom
12-14-2009, 11:18 PM
bill muir MUST go!!!

BryanBusby
12-14-2009, 11:20 PM

Haha Garrett would make CP pine for the days of Todd Haley being OC/QB Coach/Head Coach all in one.