PDA

View Full Version : Food and Drink -- Please list your favorite Mexican spot for food. Also, list..

Simply Red
12-10-2009, 02:29 PM
Please list your favorite Mexican spot for food. Also, list the contents of the meal and what make's it special/delicious. Fast food -or- a casual bullshit quick spot. Another option, if you make at home, tell us about that.

... Mr. Flopnut's spinoff

http://i47.tinypic.com/20u36dz.jpg

th^t was my hotspot. Taco Town, Carthage Mo. :(

Mr. Flopnuts
12-10-2009, 02:30 PM
There's something catchy about "Mr. Flopnut's spinoff" I should open a Mexican restaurant.

Dayze
Guicho's - Belton MO; excellent food; great prices ($9); great beer (24 oz Dos Equis Amber for $3.5); consitently good; owner (Guicho) is always there greeting people, excellent tequila selection; good little bar for a quick stop-in eat n' beer. My favorite spot. Same service staff for a few years since they opened; waiters etc recognize you and greet with a handshake and 'hola amigo'. Good people/hard working.

Manny's - KCMO - used to be my favorite spot; food seemed to go a bit down hill and prices seemed to creep up quite a bit. still good food, but a little pricier.

Los Corales - KCMO - little hole in the wall off of around 9th and Broadway? right by Tanners etc/The Quaff on Broadway. good food; good prices; good service

*Ponaks - KCMO; no necessarily for the food, but for the pitcher margarita*. I swear I was hammered after 1/2 a pitcher. the margaritas aren't green, but rather gold in color. food is decent - usually hit it up before a concert down town etc and don't want to jack with P&L. decent prices. Cool little bar. expensive pitcher of margaritas but you'll only need to split one. so, they're worth it. I think they were like $23?

Skip Towne
Juarez

journeyscarab
12-10-2009, 02:31 PM
Mi Ranchito

Simply Red
12-10-2009, 02:31 PM
There's something catchy about "Mr. Flopnut's spinoff" I should open a Mexican restaurant.

Taco-Town is a mess, Grandma Lee is rolling over in her grave.

Frazod
12-10-2009, 02:33 PM
Please list your favorite Mexican spot for food. Also, list the contents of the meal and what make's it special/delicious. Fast food -or- a casual bullshit quick spot. Another option, if you make at home, tell us about that.

... Mr. Flopnut's spinoff

http://i47.tinypic.com/20u36dz.jpg

th^t was my hotspot. Taco Town, Carthage Mo.

Looks like it's seen better days.

Mine's El Famous Burrito. They're a local chain up here. Very good and authentic. You always see lots of Mexicans eating there.

KCUnited
12-10-2009, 02:34 PM
Los Corales - KCMO

This. Their chips and salsa are the best, warm homemade chips with salt. I get their tacos every time. Deep fried pockets of meat.

Many of these restaurants try to get all crazy with the ****ing platters of shit which is way too much food, or these giant ****ing burritos. Give me some basic, simple, great tasting tacos and a cold cervaza.

Poco's on 31st and SW Boulevard for a great Mexican breakfast.

keg in kc
12-10-2009, 02:35 PM
In with the early Taco Bell.

MOhillbilly
12-10-2009, 02:36 PM
La Comida
El Taco
Mexican Villa

Mojo Jojo
12-10-2009, 02:36 PM
Fronteras
3 locations; Lenexa, OP and Olathe. This replaced Mi Ranchito at the top of my list.

KC native
12-10-2009, 02:37 PM
Los Corales - KCMO - little hole in the wall off of around 9th and Broadway? right by Tanners etc/The Quaff on Broadway. good food; good prices; good service

Yea buddy, I love Los Corales. My family has been going there for years so we've gotten to know the people that run it.

memyselfI
12-10-2009, 02:38 PM
El Tepeyac in LA is the best I've ever eaten outside of my Mamas. Locally, we like Fronteras and Margaritas.

Stewie
12-10-2009, 02:38 PM
Mi Ranchito

+1

Simply Red
12-10-2009, 02:40 PM
In with the early Taco Bell.

Bell-beefer!!!!!!!!!

journeyscarab
Fronteras
3 locations; Lenexa, OP and Olathe. This replaced Mi Ranchito at the top of my list.

Same family isn't it? I think the receipes/menus are pretty similar.

Stewie
Fronteras

Where are they located in Lenexa? I do Mi Ranchito because it's really good and convenient. I'm willing to try this place if it's around 95th and I-35.

BigOlChiefsfan
12-10-2009, 02:41 PM
I grew up going to Spanish Gardens on Johnson Drive, my reward for a good gradecard was a platter of ranch style frijoles topped w/fried eggs. Yum. Sadly, they closed and went into the chips and dip bidness.

Already mentioned several current faves (Mi Ranchito, Mannys, Los Corales, Ponaks) but there's a tiny joint on Merriam Lane, just north of Johnson Drive called Pollo Loco IIRC. I get half a smoked chicken w/a bunch of flour tortillas and a batch of marinated red onions. Tear the meat off the bone, pile it in the tortilla, add some onions and sauce, fold and munch. It's PFG*. They also have PFG tamales. I don't know if they make their own tamales or buy the mamacita-collective ones from the Guadalupe center. But PFG, either way.

*PFG = pretty f***ing good

jiveturkey
12-10-2009, 02:41 PM
Los Corales for me as well.

There's also a place in Claycomo called Sombreros that's pretty good.

jiveturkey
12-10-2009, 02:42 PM
Where are they located in Lenexa? I do Mi Ranchito because it's really good and convenient. I'm willing to try this place if it's around 95th and I-35.

It's actually right at 95th and I-35. It's off of the side road that leads to Costco right on 95th.

Inspector
Yea buddy, I love Los Corales. My family has been going there for years so we've gotten to know the people that run it.

Haven't been for years but always loved their nachos.

Otherwise, my favorite would be Mrs. Inspector's fish taco's and/or veggie tacos. Mmmmm...

Dayze
This. Their chips and salsa are the best, warm homemade chips with salt. I get their tacos every time. Deep fried pockets of meat.

Many of these restaurants try to get all crazy with the ****ing platters of shit which is way too much food, or these giant ****ing burritos. Give me some basic, simple, great tasting tacos and a cold cervaza.

Poco's on 31st and SW Boulevard for a great Mexican breakfast.

:hmmm:

I agree; los corales' chips are stellar. Oh, and if anyone is thinking of going and waiting for a table at the bar...don't. lol. I mean..you can get a drink tc...but you'll most likely drink it outside. Which is fine; love doing that on a summer night.

Right on on the 1st bolded part there brotha.

TrebMaxx
There was a place in Spokane, WA called Taco Time that was the best for me.

The Franchise
12-10-2009, 02:43 PM
Baldos......

HemiEd
12-10-2009, 02:43 PM
We love Mexican food, but not "authentic" Mexican food. :Lin:

El Mexico, on south Seneca in Wichita use to be incredible. They had an all meat burrito (pork) that was served on a meat platter, covered in cheese and beans. It was great, and very reasonable. Their tacos, were also huge, fresh and very tasty. I always make a point of going there at least once on each trip back.

This last trip I noticed their quality is eroding, along with the size of their portions. The place is turning into a real dive also.

memyselfI
12-10-2009, 02:44 PM

Off of Quivera and 79thish.

In the strip mall across the street from Margaritas.

Dayze

I think the one in Olathe is at I35 and ....oh, the outer road. it's on the SE corver of 135th/Santa Fe and I35. Frontera's, that is.

KC native
Rudy's Tenampa Taqueria on Westport Rd was always pretty good too. The fish tacos were the shite.

Also, I used to go to Taqueria Mexico on SW Blvd all the time especially when they started staying open late for the drunks.

Stewie
12-10-2009, 02:45 PM
but there's a tiny joint on Merriam Lane, just north of Johnson Drive called Pollo Loco IIRC. I get half a smoked chicken w/a bunch of flour tortillas and a batch of marinated red onions. Tear the meat off the bone, pile it in the tortilla, add some onions and sauce, fold and munch. It's PFG*. They also have PFG tamales. I don't know if they make their own tamales or buy the mamacita-collective ones from the Guadalupe center. But PFG, either way.

*PFG = pretty f***ing good

Holy shit! If this is the same Pollo Loco that used to be in Olathe about 10 years ago their chicken kicks ass! Is it all cooked over an open fire? I'm there if this is the next rendition of the old Pollo Loco.

L.A. Chieffan
tito's. http://titostacos.com/

seriously click the link, its awesome

memyselfI
My husband loves Cancun in Westport but I've been a couple of times and I think it's mediocre at best. Rudy's, OTOH, is quite good.

Dayze
12-10-2009, 02:46 PM

I used to work around there; I think there was a Mi Ranchito at Switzer and 75th....

I think the Margaritas is now something else?
(I may be thinking a few blocks E of where you're talking about though...)

sedated
12-10-2009, 02:48 PM
I used to go to Mi Ranchito all the time for the carne asada tacos, but I’ve noticed recently that the margaritas taste a little like straight sweet and sour mix.

I’ve just gotten on a Salty Iguana kick, but that’s mostly because they are the only Mexican place that has multiple TVs and shows sports besides soccer.

Fronteras in OPKS is pretty good, and has replaced Mi Ranchito as go-to spot.

I hate Cactus Grill now, they changed their menu to please the rich Johnson county crowd, and overloaded it with fish. Plus the place is just full of high school kids that drink free refills of soda for hours to eat the free chips.

Sure, they all aren’t “real authentic” Mexican, but I don’t give to shits about you ivory tower hipsters* that only like Mexican food if it comes with real authentic diarrhea. (*See any thread about beer or BBQ for reference)

BigOlChiefsfan
12-10-2009, 02:50 PM
Holy shit! If this is the same Pollo Loco that used to be in Olathe about 10 years ago their chicken kicks ass! Is it all cooked over an open fire? I'm there if this is the next rendition of the old Pollo Loco.

Sorry, don't know if they're from Olathe. Didn't look inside to see if there was an open flame, but the chicken looks like it's been cooked on a grill or something. Long story short, exit I 35 @ Johnson drive, go west on J-drive, take a right at Merriam, it's about a block and half on the left. Muy bueno.

Dayze
I used to work with a guy hre in KC who used to rave about tamales from where he was from in El Paso (I think...if it's the one near the border then yeah).

this dude made really good money, and one day brought in like 4 huge buckets of these things he had shipped from EP; he brought in a few crockpot type things to warm them up. Holy hell....they were (as BigolChiefsfan says) 'PFG'.

I always meant to ask him again where he ordered them from; love to ship them for a Super bowl/draft etc.

memyselfI
I used to work around there; I think there was a Mi Ranchito at Switzer and 75th....

I think the Margaritas is now something else?
(I may be thinking a few blocks E of where you're talking about though...)

The Margaritas was a Hardees and then something else and then Margaritas. It's on the West side of 79th and Quivira. Fronteras is on the opposite side of the street in the same strip mall as Mezzaluna...

not the Nicole Simpson one.

sedated

77th and Quivira

blaise
This place is my favorite ever. Especially the tacos al pastor, and the el rey taco. (it's in Houston)

http://www.elreytaqueria.com/

kcxiv
12-10-2009, 02:51 PM
my moms kitchen. For me, its the best spot. lol

memyselfI
12-10-2009, 02:51 PM
I used to go to Mi Ranchito all the time for the carne asada tacos, but I’ve noticed recently that the margaritas taste a little like straight sweet and sour mix.

I’ve just gotten on a Salty Iguana kick, but that’s mostly because they are the only Mexican place that has multiple TVs and shows sports besides soccer.

Fronteras in OPKS is pretty good.

I hate Cactus Grill now, they changed their menu to please the rich Johnson county crowd, and overloaded it with fish. Plus the place is just full of high school kids that drink free refills of soda for hours to eat the free chips.

Sure, they all aren’t “real authentic” Mexican, but I don’t give to shits about you ivory tower hipsters* that only like Mexican food if it comes with real authentic diarrhea. (*See any thread about beer or BBQ for reference)

Cactus Grill is Jose Peppers with a different name. Mi Ranchito iand Fronteras are the most authentic of the those you mentioned.

T-post Tom
12-10-2009, 02:52 PM
Known for dairy products.

http://www.celebzu.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/salma-hayek-boobs.jpg

memyselfI
12-10-2009, 02:52 PM
my moms kitchen. For me, its the best spot. lol

Mine too. And her Grandmother, RIP. That woman was an amazing cook. I miss her lettuce, cheese, and onion enchiladas. I can still remember the taste and it's probably been 35 years since I last had one.

kcxiv
12-10-2009, 02:54 PM
Mine too. And her Grandmother, RIP. That woman was an amazing cook. I miss her cheese and onion enchiladas. I can still remember the taste and it's probably been 35 years since I last had one.

My moms makes them with chicken. So fucking good. I have a cousin she makes them with just potatoes inside no meat. That was even better.

My grandmother was a good cook too but she passed away 2 years ago. I am just glad that my sister can cook like my mother, my other sister, not so much. lol

DaneMcCloud
12-10-2009, 02:54 PM
tito's. http://titostacos.com/

seriously click the link, its awesome

Tito's IS awesome. Their enchiladas and tacos are out of this world.

I don't know if it's my favorite (which is difficult in Los Angeles considering the huge number of great Mexican joints) but it's certainly in my top 5.

Simply Red
12-10-2009, 02:55 PM
Mine too. And her Grandmother, RIP. That woman was an amazing cook. I miss her cheese and onion enchiladas. I can still remember the taste and it's probably been 35 years since I last had one.

if you ever want phenomenal enchilada recipes, hit me up. I make, Chicken w/ green chile sauce, cheddar and vidalia onion, and beef w/ velveeta (don't laugh, they're magnificent)

DaneMcCloud
12-10-2009, 02:56 PM
Cactus Grill is Jose Peppers with a different name. Mi Ranchito iand Fronteras are the most authentic of the those you mentioned.

Jose Peppers is gross. Just flat out gross. No flavor, poor serving size, etc.

You can get better enchiladas at Taco Bell.

Simply Red
12-10-2009, 02:57 PM
i sincerely miss Taco Via, badly. A lot of you claim it's slop. But growing up, we'd walk to the one on 7-hwy and bust on some taco-burgers and that cinnamon crisp thingy.

Dayze
12-10-2009, 02:57 PM
The Margaritas was a Hardees and then something else and then Margaritas. It's on the West side of 79th and Quivira. Fronteras is on the opposite side of the street in the same strip mall as Mezzaluna...

not the Nicole Simpson one.

ah..got it. know it now.

come to think of it, I ate at Fronteras once for lunch; it was so-so. maybe because of lunch menu or something.

I think the other restatraunt I was thinking of at 75th and Switzer is Mi Pueblito then. there is also a place across the street that looks like it was converted froma Margaritas.

Mojo Jojo
12-10-2009, 02:58 PM

79th & Quivira is Fronteras.

L.A. Chieffan
12-10-2009, 02:58 PM

I don't know if it's my favorite (which is difficult in Los Angeles considering the huge number of great Mexican joints) but it's certainly in my top 5.

for a hole in the wall joint its the best. but yeah theres nice sit down places that have camarones and shit that are better.

Simply Red
12-10-2009, 02:59 PM
for a hole in the wall joint its the best. but yeah theres nice sit down places that have camarones and shit that are better.

Hubert's?

L.A. Chieffan
12-10-2009, 02:59 PM
Hubert's?

no silly, barcadia

Mojo Jojo
12-10-2009, 03:00 PM
It's actually right at 95th and I-35. It's off of the side road that leads to Costco right on 95th.

That is Mi Ranchito at 95th & I-35. Fronteras is at 79th & Quivira.

memyselfI
if you ever want phenomenal enchilada recipes, hit me up. I make, Chicken w/ green chile sauce, cheddar and vidalia onion, and beef w/ velveeta (don't laugh, they're magnificent)

Sounds good. But my Mom's is the best. She's only half Mexican but she has the rest of the family beat as far as being the best Mexican cook. IMO. And pretty much everyone.

Mojo Jojo

79th & Quivira.

memyselfI
12-10-2009, 03:01 PM
That is Mi Ranchito at 95th & I-35. Fronteras is at 79th & Quivira.

Actually it's Margaritas at the corner of 79th (7850) and Quivira. Fronteras is 77th (7779) and Quivira.

Mojo Jojo
12-10-2009, 03:03 PM
I think the one in Olathe is at I35 and ....oh, the outer road. it's on the SE corver of 135th/Santa Fe and I35. Frontera's, that is.

Fronteras in Olathe is 135th and Blackbob. It was a Tanners many years ago.

Stewie
12-10-2009, 03:10 PM
I grew up going to Spanish Gardens on Johnson Drive, my reward for a good gradecard was a platter of ranch style frijoles topped w/fried eggs. Yum. Sadly, they closed and went into the chips and dip bidness.

Whaaaaa? No Don Chilitos (sp?)?

BigOlChiefsfan
12-10-2009, 03:10 PM
Don Chilitos? Better you than me, brother.

Megbert
12-10-2009, 03:11 PM
I concur with Ponak's as far as the 'rita's go. Damn those are strong and tasty.

Here in Phoenix if I want good sit down food that's fairly authentic I go to Tradiciones they have some interesting margarita's there too. They have a dinner for 2 or more where they bring this little table top grill to your table loaded with your choice of meats, grilled veggies and one of two kinds of beans on the side. Of course homemade flour or corn tortillas. It's authentic enough to make me happy but it's also 'mom' friendly.

For cheap ass Mexican food I like Salazar Bro's it's pretty much like any other cheap mexican place in the valley but it's close to the house and so that makes it my fav. I'm talking >$6 for a big assed carne asada burrito rice and beans. They have carne asada fries which are french fries covered in beef and pico and maybe guacamole I've only seen the picture haven't ordered it.

For Mexican seafood I really like this place called San Carlos Bay. It's an old house converted into a restaurant been around for well over 20 years. They have this 7 seas cocktail that is so freaking good. It's all these different crustaceans served chilled in this tomato based broth. It's so good on a hot Phoenix day.

journeyscarab
12-10-2009, 03:11 PM

Went there once...complete disappointment. Everything was ladled in nacho cheese. I looked for defibulartors stationed need our table.

memyselfI
12-10-2009, 03:13 PM

Don't you mean the Roach Motel? I don't know how many people I've talked to over the years who have seen them at that place.:eek:

BigOlChiefsfan
12-10-2009, 03:16 PM
I don't get over there very often, but I remember thinking this place was good:

guadalajara cafe (http://www.kcrestaurantguide.com/guadalajara_cafe.htm)

Mojo Jojo
12-10-2009, 03:16 PM

I did a lot of Don Chilitos back in the day. I think I still get the S**T'S just thinking about it. OOPS gotta go.....

Dayze
12-10-2009, 03:17 PM
for those who like Ponaks, Manny's, etc... you owe it to yourself to check out Guicho's in Belton if you're ever out that way. Actually....if you're ever passing through, as there isn't anything do lol.

it's right off 71 at the 58 hwy exit; West about a block before the Home Depot.

and if you like Tequila...they have a awesome selection.

Food wise, I usually get the chori-pollo; chicken breastes-es, covered in chorizo, topped with 'some' cheese (not all loaded with cheese); rice, beans, guac, pico on the side etc; and I get mine with corn, instead of flour tortillas. they come out hot....man oh man.

Fish tacos are really good too/light etc. I've also had their chimichangas a while back..but I usuallget the chori-pollo every time and a tall Dos Equis amber. Wife usually goes with the Nachos Vallarta;; scrimps, onions, green peppers saute'd like a fajita; placed ontop of chips with white cheese. she seems to love it.

Dartgod
Guicho's - Belton MO; excellent food; great prices ($9); great beer (24 oz Dos Equis Amber for $3.5); consitently good; owner (Guicho) is always there greeting people, excellent tequila selection; good little bar for a quick stop-in eat n' beer. My favorite spot. Same service staff for a few years since they opened; waiters etc recognize you and greet with a handshake and 'hola amigo'. Good people/hard working.
for those who like Ponaks, Manny's, etc... you owe it to yourself to check out Guicho's in Belton if you're ever out that way. Actually....if you're ever passing through, as there isn't anything do lol.

Food wise, I usually get the chori-pollo; chicken breas, covered in chorizo, topped with 'some' cheese (not all loaded with cheese); rice, beans, guac, pico on the side etc; and I get mine with corn, instead of flour tortillas. they come out hot....man oh man.

Fish tacos are really good too/light etc. I've also had their chimichangas a while back..but I usuallget the chori-pollo every time and a tall Dos Equis amber. Wife usually goes with the Nachos Vallarta;; scrimps, onions, green peppers saute'd like a fajita; placed ontop of chips with white cheese. she seems to love it.
These....

And Guadalajara Cafe (103rd & State line). If you get Ivan as your waiter, be sure to order a chimichanga. :D

Titty Meat
Panchos

Stewie
12-10-2009, 03:18 PM
Don't you mean the Roach Motel? I don't know how many people I've talked to over the years who have seen them at that place.:eek:

I had a friend from church that worked at Don Chilito's when we were in high school. I stayed away.

Dayze
12-10-2009, 03:18 PM

I live very close to there; we just moved and are always on the look out for good eats. I'll have to remember that place (I remember seeing it).

L.A. Chieffan
12-10-2009, 03:19 PM

Food wise, I usually get the chori-pollo; chicken breas, covered in chorizo, topped with 'some' cheese (not all loaded with cheese); rice, beans, guac, pico on the side etc; and I get mine with corn, instead of flour tortillas. they come out hot....man oh man.

hmm ill check that out next time im there, my grandparents live in belton but always go to this disgusting place that they say is great, but is really like eating doritos dipped in lard

DeezNutz
12-10-2009, 03:19 PM
Torreon.

Located off 87th. Near Antioch.

Stewie
12-10-2009, 03:20 PM
Torreon.

Located off 87th. Near Antioch.

Are they still there? I thought they closed.

memyselfI
12-10-2009, 03:21 PM
My husband is always raving about The Best Burrito in Harrisonville. I haven't been there to see if it's as good as he says but he loves it.

Dartgod
12-10-2009, 03:22 PM
hmm ill check that out next time im there, my grandparents live in belton but always go to this disgusting place that they say is great, but is really like eating doritos dipped in lard
Where is the disgusting place? There's a shit ton of Mexican restaurants in Belton. The only one I ever liked before Guicho's opened was Mi Pueblito.

Titty Meat
12-10-2009, 03:23 PM
Anyone ate at this dump called Momma Tios? (sp?) I think its over on 85th and prospect. Pretty good food

Dayze
12-10-2009, 03:27 PM

i know everyone's taste buds are different, but I really think you'll like it; I've really never had bad food (or even 'average' for that matter) there; or bad service.

Angel - server dude brings you your food; good dude.
Luis - good waitier
Willie - good waiter
Israel - good waiter; Luis' brother

Jasmine - bartender, who is no longer there unfortunately (not sure why). I used to walk in and she'd see me and by the time I sat at the bar, I would have a tall Dos Equis - no lime- in front of me. She would ask "you want the usual". I'd say yes; she'd wait just the right amount of time to put the order in etc. Great bartender, very cool/nice. Wonder where she went.

*edit*...I almost forgot...the Carnitas! Mexican style. Holy, MF sh*t these are good. Used to split an order of them with my father-in-law after playing golf. Excellent. big ol slices of fresh jalepenos...mmm.

wutamess
12-10-2009, 03:28 PM
Jose Peppers is gross. Just flat out gross. No flavor, poor serving size, etc.

You can get better enchiladas at Taco Bell.

THIS! THIS! THIS!
After they changed owners it's been the worse mexican ever.

There's this hole in the wall called Fiesta Azteca on 350 & Raytown Road that has awesome flavor (Next to Applemarket).
I love their chicken nachos... already come with guacomole, beans and pico already on it.
No hagging the waitress for some freaking veggies on your nachos is awesome.

Silock
Mi Ranchito. Anything there is good.

Dayze
My husband is always raving about The Best Burrito in Harrisonville. I haven't been there to see if it's as good as he says but he loves it.

it's 'ok'.
they opened one in Peculiar (where we lived before).
a lot of their dishes seem like it's just hamburger with seasoning etc.

RickObie
12-10-2009, 03:29 PM
Tony's Jacal in Solana Beach, California has the best authentic Mexican food.

But for fish tacos and such - En Fuego in Del Mar kicks ass!! Great Mariges at both places!

Delano
12-10-2009, 03:29 PM
There is a little Mexican grocery store in my town that serves a fantastic seafood soup type of thing. Prawns, octopus, mussels. MMMMM - tastes like a spicy little bit of the ocean. My local paper's food guy called it a 'playful little dish.'

wutamess
12-10-2009, 03:33 PM
Actually, best burrito is town is actually this fast food type burrito chain called Ponchos.
One on 39th and Main. Good as hell.

Titty Meat
12-10-2009, 03:36 PM
Actually, best burrito is town is actually this fast food type burrito chain called Ponchos.

Theres also one on 87th in Lenexa. You gotta be drunk for that shit to taste good.

DaneMcCloud
12-10-2009, 03:36 PM
for a hole in the wall joint its the best.

Absolutely.

Buck
12-10-2009, 03:37 PM
Any Taco Shop who serves decent food. I feel sorry for the midwesterners who haven't had decent Mexican food.

Simply Red
that Manny's place still around? .. in KC? ... think i've asked you all, before.

wutamess
Theres also one on 87th in Lenexa. You gotta be drunk for that shit to taste good.

No... I've never been drunk while eating it.
I've only ate at the one on 39th and Main. can't speak for the others.
Maybe it's the roach juices or something but they have the best burritos in town.

Dayze
12-10-2009, 03:38 PM
that Manny's place still around? think i've asked you all, before.

yep.
although, I think the won that used to be open in OP is closed/no more etc.

the one off of SW Blvd and Wyandotte (i think) is still there.

DaneMcCloud
12-10-2009, 03:38 PM
THIS! THIS! THIS!
After they changed owners it's been the worse mexican ever.

There's this hole in the wall called Fiesta Azteca on 350 & Raytown Road that has awesome flavor (Next to Applemarket).
I love their chicken nachos... already come with guacomole, beans and pico already on it.
No hagging the waitress for some freaking veggies on your nachos is awesome.

Bill and his partners sold their interest in Jose's?

Well, that makes sense as to why it sucked ass last weekend.

It was pretty damn good in the late 80's, early 90's.

Titty Meat
12-10-2009, 03:39 PM
No... I've never been drunk while eating it.
I've only ate at the one on 39th and Main. can't speak for the others.
Maybe it's the roach juices or something but they have the best burritos in town.

To me it seems like everything is microwaved, though they do have delicious shreded beef tacos.

sedated
12-10-2009, 03:39 PM

that place is money. the menu is unique, not your typical burrito/taco/quesadilla.

ChiefsCountry
12-10-2009, 03:40 PM
Sunrise Cantina - Sunrise Beach, MO at the beautiful Lake of the Ozarks

Simply Red
12-10-2009, 03:41 PM
I'd smack your mexican mother for this plato:

http://i50.tinypic.com/65u4ya.jpg

memyselfI
12-10-2009, 03:42 PM
I'd smack your mexican mother for this plato:

http://i50.tinypic.com/65u4ya.jpg

WTF is the Velveta?

sedated
12-10-2009, 03:43 PM

oh man, that place is the worst I've ever had. everything tastes like salt.

I got a chicken burrito once, the big one. the first couple bites were good, then the grease started running down my hands, the tortilla fell apart (not in the typical way, it kinda disintegrated like a wet peice of paper), and I bit into a chicken bone.

their "salsas" were pretty nasty too.

Simply Red
12-10-2009, 03:43 PM
WTF is the Velveta?

that wasn't aimed at you, just a saying. Those aren't mine, just a delicious looking plate of goodness, I found. :)

memyselfI
12-10-2009, 03:44 PM
that wasn't aimed at you, just a saying. Those aren't mine, just a delicious looking plate of goodness, I found. :)

NTTIATWWT. I happen to love Velveta. Just not on my Mexican food.

Simply Red
12-10-2009, 03:45 PM
NTTIATWWT. I happen to love Velveta. Just not on my Mexican food.

I know, it's silly. But, they're really good.

memyselfI
12-10-2009, 03:46 PM
I know, it's silly. But, they're really good.

The rest of that plate looks epic.

Alton deFlat
12-10-2009, 03:57 PM
OK, dammit! I'm sitting here at work eating an apple, cause I'm hungry as hell. Not that the apple isn't good, and good for me (even though it's a conventional apple), but what I wouldn't give for a couple enchiladas with rice and beans right now.

BTW, we don't have any great Mexican places here, although Maria's in Joplin, MO isn't bad. The last good place in KC I ate at was The Salty Iguana.

underEJ
12-10-2009, 03:59 PM

Tito's is definitely good. I also love my neighborhood spot, La Estrella #3. The are multiple locations, but I like the ave 61 and Fig one best.

http://www.lataco.com/taco/la-estrella-tacos-3-highland-park

And I used to live by El Tepeyac in City Terrace, and you need 3 people to eat just about any one item there, but very good.

LA has it's positives, although on occasion I'd about kill for a San Francisco burrito.

DaneMcCloud
12-10-2009, 04:03 PM
Tito's is definitely good. I also love my neighborhood spot, La Estrella #3. The are multiple locations, but I like the ave 61 and Fig one best.

http://www.lataco.com/taco/la-estrella-tacos-3-highland-park

And I used to live by El Tepeyac in City Terrace, and you need 3 people to eat just about any one item there, but very good.

LA has it's positives, although on occasion I'd about kill for a San Francisco burrito.

Yeah, that looks good!

For bigger parties, we hire a caterer that only makes tacos. He makes his own salsas and provides carne asada, chicken and carnitas, all grilled fresh. They're as good or better than any tacos I've had in my life.

Simply Red
12-10-2009, 04:17 PM
http://i46.tinypic.com/o5b1cj.jpg

DrRyan
12-10-2009, 04:21 PM

Corales has been my favorite in KC since a buddy of mine introduced me to it when we both worked downtown KC. Their hot salsa is some of the best I have ever had. I think all but one time I ate there I ordered the #1: 2 tacos, 2 enchiladas for $5(last time I ate there).

In Phoenix, Los Olivos is my favorite. Their guacamole is top notch.

Now I am dying for some Mexican food!

Dayze
12-10-2009, 04:25 PM
Corales has been my favorite in KC since a buddy of mine introduced me to it when we both worked downtown KC. Their hot salsa is some of the best I have ever had. I think all but one time I ate there I ordered the #1: 2 tacos, 2 enchiladas for $5(last time I ate there).

In Phoenix, Los Olivos is my favorite. Their guacamole is top notch.

Now I am dying for some Mexican food!

I know man; it's so good.

it's perfect for some pre-concert grub/pre-event at the Sprint center grub.
avoid allt he BS in the P&L. I like P&L but sometimes it's a bit much.

Simply Red
12-10-2009, 04:27 PM
lol @ AD at page bottom.

:edit: Must've changed, was a diabeetus ad.

Cannibal
12-10-2009, 04:35 PM
We love Mexican food, but not "authentic" Mexican food. :Lin:

El Mexico, on south Seneca in Wichita use to be incredible. They had an all meat burrito (pork) that was served on a meat platter, covered in cheese and beans. It was great, and very reasonable. Their tacos, were also huge, fresh and very tasty. I always make a point of going there at least once on each trip back.

This last trip I noticed their quality is eroding, along with the size of their portions. The place is turning into a real dive also.

You're correct, it got so nasty we stopped going and I think a lot of other people did to. Since then they have remodelled and cleaned up. The food is still really good. They've raised their prices though.

Cannibal
12-10-2009, 04:36 PM
Playa Azule in Wichita is really good authentic Mexican though.

Mojo Jojo
12-10-2009, 04:47 PM
There was a place on Broadway about 15th or 16th street on the west side that was a little hole in the wall. I can't remember the name and haven't been there in 10+ years but it was GREAT. The pork chili was the best cure for cold days and/or hangovers. Everything else was very authentic...most customers didn't speak English. Does anyone remember that place, the name and is it still there?

Stewie
12-10-2009, 04:53 PM
We're headed to Pollo Loco for dinner as mentioned by BigOlChiefsfan. I have to know if this is the same place I used to crave. Their spice combination and guac was killer.

Simply Red
12-10-2009, 04:56 PM
We're headed to Pollo Loco for dinner as mentioned by BigOlChiefsfan. I have to know if this is the same place I used to crave. Their spice combination and guac was killer.

we have them here. They throw down some fire grilled yard-bird.

Stewie
12-10-2009, 04:58 PM
we have them, here. They throw down some fried yard-bird.

I think this Pollo Loco is a one-hit wonder. If it's in the location I'm thinking of it's not a chain by any stretch of the imagination.

BigOlChiefsfan
12-10-2009, 05:09 PM
Hope you enjoy your dinner!

DEN 44 KC 13
12-10-2009, 05:14 PM
44-13ROFL

alpha_omega
12-10-2021, 02:13 PM

Don Chilitos? Better you than me, brother.

Final chance to eat at a popular Johnson County restaurant

https://fox4kc.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/16/2021/09/Don.png?w=629&h=362&crop=1

MISSION, Kan. — It’s your final opportunity to get your fix at Don Chilito’s Mexican Restaurant in Mission.

After 50 years of serving up Mexican cuisine on the corner of Johnson Drive and Broadmoor Street, owner Barry Cowden opened his restaurant for the final time Friday morning.

“It has been a great run and we want to thank our many loyal customers, all the great employees, our suppliers, and all the friends we have made over the past five decades,” Cowden wrote on the restaurant’s website.

Cowden announced in September that he would retire and close the popular restaurant.

Just because the restaurant is closing doesn’t mean it will easily be forgotten. Cowden is selling Don Chilito’s t-shirts at the restaurant today. You can also preorder his new cookbook “Don Chilito’s Secret Recipes.” The cookbook is a tribute to the restaurant’s history, plus secret recipes from 16 of the restaurant’s most popular dishes.

The restaurant is open from 3 p.m. until 8 p.m. Friday, Dec. 10.

https://fox4kc.com/business/final-chance-to-eat-at-a-popular-johnson-county-restaurant/

BWillie
12-10-2021, 02:19 PM
K Machos Olathe

The street tacos next store are good too

sedated
12-10-2021, 02:50 PM
There was a place on Broadway about 15th or 16th street on the west side that was a little hole in the wall. I can't remember the name and haven't been there in 10+ years but it was GREAT. The pork chili was the best cure for cold days and/or hangovers. Everything else was very authentic...most customers didn't speak English. Does anyone remember that place, the name and is it still there?

Not that it matters a decade after this was said, but I think this was referring to Los Tules.

It was still there pre-covid, but haven't driven by in a while to see if that's still the case.

HC_Chief
12-10-2021, 02:56 PM
Ponak's (a big plate of melted cheeses with some enchilada sauce)

Rudy's (is this place still around?)

Manny's (killer enchiladas...like their tacos as well)

Jalepeno's (good place to slam margaritas and enjoy definitely not authentic Mexican food)

Jose Peppers (for whatever reason, my go-to when I have a brutal hangover)

In CA and TX we had "authentic" Mexican; if you consider Americanized Mexican food "authentic" :) It was good, but not all that. In CDMX (Mexico City), the authentic stuff was legit! Super simple but damn good. Braised beef with corn tortillas, a bit of cotija, and habanero salsa. Dayum that shizz was good.

Fish
12-10-2021, 02:59 PM
Ponak's (a big plate of melted cheeses with some enchilada sauce)

Rudy's (is this place still around?)

Manny's (killer enchiladas...like their tacos as well)

Jalepeno's (good place to slam margaritas and enjoy definitely not authentic Mexican food)

Jose Peppers (for whatever reason, my go-to when I have a brutal hangover)

In CA and TX we had "authentic" Mexican; if you consider Americanized Mexican food "authentic" :) It was good, but not all that. In CDMX (Mexico City), the authentic stuff was legit! Super simple but damn good. Braised beef with corn tortillas, a bit of cotija, and habanero salsa. Dayum that shizz was good.

Rudy's Tenampa Taqueria. Yes, still around. Ate there this week. One in Westport and one in Lenexa. It's a regular for me.

sedated
12-10-2021, 03:07 PM
El Patron was always my favorite until it came out that the owner was a serial rapist. Best margaritas in KC.

cripple creek
12-10-2021, 03:08 PM
love the rio grande burrito from el magueys... beef tips and rice then smothered with 2 cheese sauces.

HC_Chief
12-10-2021, 03:17 PM
Rudy's Tenampa Taqueria. Yes, still around. Ate there this week. One in Westport and one in Lenexa. It's a regular for me.

Sweet, thanks! We recently moved back into the area so I need to make a trip and get some.

ModSocks
12-10-2021, 03:25 PM
If anyone is ever visiting San Diego and looking for authentic restaurant quality mexican food i'd recommend Casa Guadalajara in Old Town.

Great food, live mariachi band that goes table to table, they make the tortillas fresh right there in front of you, and best of all they large size margaritas.

HC_Chief
12-10-2021, 03:32 PM
If anyone is ever visiting San Diego and looking for authentic restaurant quality mexican food i'd recommend Casa Guadalajara in Old Town.

Old Town Mexican Cafe, with the abuelas making tortillas out front, was pretty damned good. Next time we'll give Casa Guadalajara a try. SD/CA is such a fun city. Home to one of my favorite burger joints as well: Hodad's in Ocean Beach. Sloppy mess, but so good

Spott
12-10-2021, 03:48 PM
Is Annie’s Santa Fe still around?

wazu
12-10-2021, 03:51 PM

No. Neither is Bannister Mall.

KCUnited
12-10-2021, 03:59 PM
Tacoltan in Chicago in my go-to birria spot. The best though is their birria ramen.

https://instagram.com/tacotlantacos?utm_medium=copy_link

ModSocks
12-10-2021, 04:09 PM
Old Town Mexican Cafe , with the abuelas making tortillas out front, was pretty damned good. Next time we'll give Casa Guadalajara a try. SD/CA is such a fun city. Home to one of my favorite burger joints as well: Hodad's in Ocean Beach. Sloppy mess, but so good

Ah yes, that's another real popular one. Can't really go wrong too much in Old Town in general. Hodad's is like....THE spot in SD. Maybe the most popular local spot in SD? It's definitely up there.

Mr. Wizard
12-10-2021, 04:11 PM
I live in garden city, there aren’t any Mexican restaurants here.

suzzer99
12-10-2021, 05:13 PM
Rudy's Tenampa Taqueria on Westport Rd was always pretty good too. The fish tacos were the shite.

Also, I used to go to Taqueria Mexico on SW Blvd all the time especially when they started staying open late for the drunks.

Same on both. Still love Rudy's on Westport Rd. It's one of the places I always try to hit up any time I'm in KC.

Sassy Squatch
12-10-2021, 05:21 PM
Margaritas has my fave enchiladas

RustShack
12-10-2021, 06:11 PM
Torreador down town OP is a place I like to go. I don’t really know how to describe it, it’s definitely a hole in the wall. It’s cheap, margs are good, never been to a Mexican restaurant like it to compare it to. I always get the Chimi smothered in queso. Probably the worst chips of any Mexican joint I’ve been to though.

burt
12-11-2021, 08:49 AM
K Machos Olathe

The street tacos next store are good too

I have a customer that delivers for Sysco. He said that K Macho's has the cleanest kitchen he's seen in the restaurant industry. THAT is very telling. And yes the Mexican Supermarket next door has DAMN good street tacos!

Simply Red
12-11-2021, 08:54 AM

I always heard the Milfs @ happy hour were better than their enchiladas. But yes that place was good as hell way back when.

burt
12-11-2021, 09:03 AM
I always heard the Milfs @ happy hour were better than their enchiladas. But yes that place was good as hell way back when.

I waited tables at the Banister Annies and Waited/bartended/door manned at the Gladstone Annies. Never would have thought I'd out live Annies, but I even out lived both those buildings!!!

Bearcat
12-11-2021, 09:22 AM

Not sure that place saw Y2K, but went there many times as a kid, fighting over the queso tortilla bowl.

burt
12-11-2021, 09:32 AM
Not sure that place saw Y2K, but went there many times as a kid, fighting over the queso tortilla bowl.

Which location?

Bearcat
12-11-2021, 09:49 AM
Which location?

Bannister Mall. I moved out of the area in the early 90s though (seemed like a lot of people did).

burt
12-11-2021, 09:51 AM
Heck, I might have waited on you and your family.....

2bikemike
12-11-2021, 02:31 PM
Old Town Mexican Cafe, with the abuelas making tortillas out front, was pretty damned good. Next time we'll give Casa Guadalajara a try. SD/CA is such a fun city. Home to one of my favorite burger joints as well: Hodad's in Ocean Beach. Sloppy mess, but so good

I like OTMC better than Casa Guadalajara. The carnitas are the best. Also they used to have the best assortment of Tequila. Some of it was pretty high end!

Spott
12-11-2021, 02:54 PM

IIRC, it closed before I move from KC in 99. I hoped they would open another location, but I guess they didn’t. Used to love that place, but it may have been because it was the closest Mexican restaurant from Lee’s Summit back in the day.

neech
12-11-2021, 03:01 PM
love the rio grande burrito from el magueys... beef tips and rice then smothered with 2 cheese sauces.

I like the beef burrito Mexicano from El Magueys.

Bowser
12-11-2021, 03:12 PM
El Patron was always my favorite until it came out that the owner was a serial rapist. Best margaritas in KC.

Same.

That piece of shit went away in 2019, though. And I assume it's a new ownership group. Ate there a couple of months ago with the kid. It's still amazing food.

Dartgod
12-11-2021, 03:14 PM
There's a newish place in Raymore called Mojito's that is really solid. Dos D'Oro's at Blue Ridge and Holmes was our go to Mexican joint, but I like this place better. And they make a kickass margarita.

srvy
12-11-2021, 08:19 PM
I remember Patrikio’s at about 99th and Holmes being one of the best in KC till the kids took it over and it closed shortly after.

Annies was great at Banister Mall, the pretty ladies flocked there. They would eat and margarita up then head over to Jerimiah Tuttles that had a DJ and dance floor. Those were regular runs when I lived 3 years at 79th and Manning in Raytown. The one in Gladstone was good too after I move back to the Northland.