PDA

View Full Version : Home and Auto Ignition frozen in truck

cdcox
12-11-2009, 12:36 PM
The ignition switch is stuck in my '94 F-150 6-cylinder truck. I also broke the key, which was the only key I have. It did not break off in the ignition, luckily.

I know how to replace the ingition switch if I had a key and it would turn. Unfortunately I don't have a key and it wasn't turnning in the ignition.

Options:

1. Tow it to the dealer

2. Call a locksmith

3. Try to drill out the ignition and turn it with a screwdriver to replace it

4. Take apart the steering wheel/column to get to the ignition switch in another direction

5. Post on Chiefsplanet to see if someone here has a bright idea or recommendation of doing one of the above 1-4.

Bugeater
12-11-2009, 12:42 PM
Assuming Ford is still doing things the way they did about 20 years ago, there's no other way to get the switch out, there's a pin that holds the switch in place that you cannot get to easily. I'd try shoving the piece of the key you broke off into the slot, then rest of the key and see if you can get it to release. What do you really have to lose if it doesn't work?

SAUTO
12-11-2009, 12:43 PM
The ignition switch is stuck in my '94 F-150 6-cylinder truck. I also broke the key, which was the only key I have. It did not break off in the ignition, luckily.

I know how to replace the ingition switch if I had a key and it would turn. Unfortunately I don't have a key and it wasn't turnning in the ignition.

Options:

1. Tow it to the dealer

2. Call a locksmith

4. Take apart the steering wheel/column to get to the ignition switch in another direction

5. Post on Chiefsplanet to see if someone here has a bright idea or recommendation of doing one of the above 1-4.

so the key just wouldnt turn? is the column solid or can you take the screws out and split the halves without removing the steering wheel? IF SO: take the lower half off and just drill the pin out. if you know how to remove the tumbler with the key you know what pin im talking about.

SAUTO
12-11-2009, 12:45 PM
actually you are talking about the lock cylinder too, the ignition switch is separate on that unit

Skip Towne
12-11-2009, 12:48 PM
Fix Or Repair Daily

Bwana
12-11-2009, 12:50 PM
http://www.germes-online.com/direct/dbimage/50247444/Stone_Hammer_With_Fiberglass_Handle__British_Type_.jpg

Bearcat
12-11-2009, 12:51 PM
Antifreeze.

Simply Red
12-11-2009, 12:51 PM

Options:

1. Tow it to the dealer

2. Call a locksmith

This'll be a GREAT time to use your new phone. :D

Bearcat
12-11-2009, 12:52 PM

LMAO

cdcox
12-11-2009, 12:54 PM
so the key just wouldnt turn? is the column solid or can you take the screws out and split the halves without removing the steering wheel? IF SO: take the lower half off and just drill the pin out. if you know how to remove the tumbler with the key you know what pin im talking about.

Yeah, I know about the pin. So if I drill that pin out, the cylinder will come out without being able to turn it? If so, bingo. Problem solved.

teedubya
12-11-2009, 12:56 PM
My dad did something... but he drilled something out... now he doesn't have to use a key at all.

Doubt this helps. heh.

cdcox
12-11-2009, 12:59 PM

Heh. This has been the week for starting problems with my truck. I had a bad starter that I was waiting to get around to fixing. Sure enough Monday morning I stopped on the way to work for coffee and forgot to leave the truck running and it wouldn't start. I called my wife on my cell phone to give me a jump (additional power can temporarily overcome a bad starter), used the 3G internet to find a place that rebuilds starters, located it on the map, and called to make sure they could fit me in that day. It was awesome.

Radar Chief
12-11-2009, 01:01 PM
'94 F-150

Well there’s your problem, it’s got four letters wrong with it. F ,O ,R & D. :Poke:

Boise_Chief
12-11-2009, 01:05 PM
Take the 2 pieces down and have a new key cut, they can do it easily.

SAUTO
12-11-2009, 01:12 PM
Yeah, I know about the pin. So if I drill that pin out, the cylinder will come out without being able to turn it? If so, bingo. Problem solved.

YEP, when you turn it there is a recess that allows that pin to move up, drill out the pin and pull the lock cylinder out.

SDChiefs
12-11-2009, 01:28 PM
Call Ford and get them to make you a key.

googlegoogle
12-11-2009, 01:58 PM
locksmith? How about an extremely small bead of superglue on the freed part of key and try and glue the pieces together? Risky.

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20060923180119AAWFlbF

http://ask.metafilter.com/19805/How-to-get-a-broken-key-out-of-ignition

i like the part about jbweld and using a tap.

tweezers?

Mr. Plow
12-11-2009, 02:19 PM
Antifreeze.

This took entirely too long.

Frazod
12-11-2009, 02:21 PM
My dad did something... but he drilled something out... now he doesn't have to use a key at all.

Doubt this helps. heh.

Where does your dad live? :evil:

googlegoogle
12-11-2009, 02:22 PM
This took entirely too long.

ROFL

smittysbar
12-11-2009, 02:27 PM
Well there’s your problem, it’s got four letters wrong with it. F ,O ,R & D. :Poke:

Yeah, should stick with GM. Government Manufactured :evil:

HemiEd
12-11-2009, 02:35 PM
Well, if you don't have any illegals around handy, I would call a lock smith.

Radar Chief
12-11-2009, 02:50 PM
Yeah, should stick with GM. Government Manufactured :evil:

:thumb:

cdcox
12-11-2009, 07:52 PM
YEP, when you turn it there is a recess that allows that pin to move up, drill out the pin and pull the lock cylinder out.

I picked up the new cylinder tonight -- I see how drilling the pin is going to free the old cylinder.

For all that suggested a new key, the old lock cylinder isn't turning freely even with the key. Not sure a new key cut from an old key that doesn't work would do me much good.

Thanks to all that made suggestions.

SAUTO
12-11-2009, 07:56 PM
I picked up the new cylinder tonight -- I see how drilling the pin is going to free the old cylinder.

For all that suggested a new key, the old lock cylinder isn't turning freely even with the key. Not sure a new key cut from an old key that doesn't work would do me much good.

Thanks to all that made suggestions.

make sure to drill straight, thats the key. good luck. and no a new key wouldnt help. at least from my experience
Posted via Mobile Device the actual problem is with the wafers not the key:)

googlegoogle
12-11-2009, 08:11 PM
try removing the key dumbass.

You chose poorly.

Rain Man
12-11-2009, 08:12 PM
How did you break the key without it being in the ignition? Were you stabbing somebody with it?

SAUTO
12-11-2009, 08:15 PM

You chose poorly.

WTF are you talking about?
Posted via Mobile Device

Rain Man
12-11-2009, 08:16 PM
Off topic, but when I was in high school an acquaintance of mine had a car that wouldn't start. He couldn't afford to fix it so he just let it sit for several months until he could finally scrape enough money together to at least get it diagnosed, both of which were a huge hardship for a high school senior. He then tackled the problem of getting the car to the garage by having a friend come over and look at it to see about towing it or something. The friend noticed that the gear shift wasn't exactly in "Park" pushed it forward a little bit, started it, and said, "So what's the problem again?"

Brock
12-11-2009, 08:17 PM
Heh. My truck starts with a screwdriver.

Brock
12-11-2009, 08:18 PM

You chose poorly.

Hurf.:clap:

cdcox
12-11-2009, 08:18 PM
How did you break the key without it being in the ignition? Were you stabbing somebody with it?

I twisted it too hard in the ignition, but owing to many previous episodes of such stupidity, when I felt it twist, I stopped from twisting further. I had to twist it the opposite direction to get it out, but it was still bent. In the process of straightening it outside the ignition, it finally fatigued and broke.

Rain Man
12-11-2009, 08:19 PM
I twisted it too hard in the ignition, but owing to many previous episodes of such stupidity, when I felt it twist, I stopped from twisting further. I had to twist it the opposite direction to get it out, but it was still bent. In the process of straightening it outside the ignition, it finally fatigued and broke.

Ah.

I was kind of hoping for the stabbing thing.

cdcox
12-12-2009, 05:31 PM
Well I have new respect for the skill of car thieves.

It's fixed. For some reason it was really hard to get the ignition switch out. Drilled and drilled on that sucker. Finally the lock cylinder came out but the end had broke leaving the end stuck in the ignition. That was also hard to get out, then all the sudden I had it. I think it was maybe an interlock between the brake and/or clutch because I was pressing on both of those and it just slipped out.

Total cost $20.
About 2 hours including buying the part and driving down there and back.
Two broken drill bits.

Bugeater
12-12-2009, 05:35 PM
Eh, it's easier for a car thief, he isn't concerned about preservation of the rest of the vehicle when he's breaking the ignition.

Rain Man
12-12-2009, 06:02 PM
You're really kind of lucky. In most movies, this car problem is immediately followed by the driver being dragged out of the car by a murderer with a chain saw.

cdcox
12-12-2009, 06:08 PM
I think my cordless drill must have scared off the chainsaw guy.