PDA

View Full Version : Football Indy

kstater
12-13-2009, 06:24 PM
So if you're the coach, when do you start sitting Peyton?

Halftime of the next 3 games?
The entirety of week 17?

journeyscarab
12-13-2009, 06:25 PM
never

KurtCobain
12-13-2009, 06:25 PM
He shouldn't start another game untill week 17 to get his groove back, but then leave in the second half.

kstater
12-13-2009, 06:27 PM
I think it's an interesting position. I'd play him all of next week, then the first half of the last 2 games.

Bugeater
Sit him immediately, that way he'll be fresh when they get bounced from the playoffs by the Chargers.

DBOSHO
Start him the whole game, and hope he gets hurt so i never have to hear another word about peyton fucking manning.

BY1401
12-13-2009, 06:32 PM
Sit him immediately, that way he'll be fresh when they get bounced from the playoffs by the Chargers.

Third time's the charm.

*crosses fingers*

smittysbar
12-13-2009, 06:35 PM
I would keep it rolling like the Saints are going to do, if you're in a groove why stop. I doubt he is going to get injured, I would tell him to get rid of it if any pressure was on.

Hammock Parties
12-13-2009, 06:38 PM
I have Brees so I'm kinda worried about this. May need to pick up a QB for Week 16 championship. I don't think Brees will hit the bench in Week 15 because of the Vikings.

'Hamas' Jenkins
12-13-2009, 06:39 PM
You don't sit him until the game is in hand. They're undefeated.

tk13
12-13-2009, 06:43 PM
He's going to start every game to keep his streak intact. I don't think they care about being undefeated though, so if he sat most of Week 17 I wouldn't be surprised.

Psyko Tek
12-13-2009, 07:43 PM
a few years ago didn't the colts set everybody for 3 weeks,
and then got smoked in the first round cause they were rusty?

DaFace
12-13-2009, 07:46 PM
a few years ago didn't the colts set everybody for 3 weeks,
and then got smoked in the first round cause they were rusty?

Yep.

The Bad Guy
12-13-2009, 08:10 PM
I have him in 2 fantasy leagues. The mother fucker better play an entire game.

Although, I would argue, he played one full quarter today.

Deberg_1990
12-13-2009, 08:35 PM
Never..

I could be wrong, but Peyton has never missed a game right due to injury??

Chances are good hes going to hold up.

ClevelandBronco
12-13-2009, 08:39 PM
Immediately following today's kickoff would have been good.

Mr. Flopnuts
12-13-2009, 08:48 PM
I think it's an interesting position. I'd play him all of next week, then the first half of the last 2 games.

Yeah, me too.

BY1401
12-14-2009, 10:19 AM
Never..

I could be wrong, but Peyton has never missed a game right due to injury??

Chances are good hes going to hold up.

He's missed one snap due to injury: Miami - 2001. A D-lineman broke his jaw. He played the rest of the season with a grill off of a '93 Peterbilt bolted onto his helmet in place of a facemask.

verbaljitsu
12-14-2009, 12:20 PM
I don't think I could ever forgive a coach who sat me if I had a chance to lead my team to an undefeated record.

Play him in every game so he doesn't get rusty and has a chance to go undefeated. If the Colts get a two score lead, set him down.

Mile High Mania
12-14-2009, 12:35 PM

This is what I think will happen...

At this point, they're playing for 'history' with the 16-0 talk and that falls short of the ultimate goal. However, with the first round bye locked up... it would be silly to think that the bulk of that team should take what amounts to a month off before that round 2 game in the playoffs.

Think about it... that divisional round doesn't happen until Jan 16-17. That is the next "meaningful" game for the Colts, a full month from now.

So, with their next three games - they need to keep their team in synch.

@ Jax - important from the sense that it's a road game, even with half a crowd this is against a team fighting for a playoff spot, so the level of competition will be high. I don't think I would play him much in the 2nd half if Indy has a 17-24 point lead though. But, I definitely think he should play 2-3 quarters.

vs Jets - another team with a nice defense fighting for a playoff spot. Start the full team for 2-3 quarters, but not the full game.

@ BUF - At this point, if they're still undefeated... you go fully loaded for at least a half, build a lead and then sit on it. But, if Indy is 15-0 at this point... the ability to rest the stars will be tough if the game is close, but it really shouldn't be @ the Bills.

There are 12 quarters of football and I think that the stars should play in at least 8 of those quarters.

I think Payton has already said the Saints are standing on the gas pedal and not letting up, so if you have Saints on your fantasy teams, you shouldn't worry and next week... they are going to destroy Dallas.

Right now, Jerry Jones is calling Shanahan and saying "Hey, the last time you took over a team coached by Wade, it worked out pretty well... I want my team to play in the SB we're hosting in 2012... we have Romo and you wanted him. Our team is "pretty damn close"... what will it take?"

BY1401
12-14-2009, 12:41 PM
Of the three games remaining, I'd rather they not mail it in against the Jags.

KCFalcon59
12-14-2009, 12:42 PM
I don't believe in sitting your stars unless the games are out of reach. They get a week off after the regular season. That's enough.

Bugeater
12-14-2009, 12:45 PM
I don't believe in sitting your stars unless the games are out of reach. They get a week off after the regular season. That's enough.
It's not about rest, it's about not risking injury in a meaningless game.

Mile High Mania
12-14-2009, 12:52 PM
It's not about rest, it's about not risking injury in a meaningless game.

Bingo... and since the Jags and Jets are fighting for their playoff lives, playing a team like Indy that has nothing to gain really ... well, their stars have bigger bullseyes on them... and if you're a Jags are Jets player trying to advance and Manning is tossing passes in a game that is meaningless to Indy... one would think that a defensive player might "try a little harder" to make a hit count.

kysirsoze
12-14-2009, 12:58 PM
You don't sit him until the game is in hand. They're undefeated.

This, and no I don't care that championships are what matter. If either of these teams goes undefeated and wins the superbowl they will instantly be in the running for best team ever. How do you pass that up?

kysirsoze
12-14-2009, 12:59 PM
Bingo... and since the Jags and Jets are fighting for their playoff lives, playing a team like Indy that has nothing to gain really ... well, their stars have bigger bullseyes on them... and if you're a Jags are Jets player trying to advance and Manning is tossing passes in a game that is meaningless to Indy... one would think that a defensive player might "try a little harder" to make a hit count.

You think those games are meaningless to Indy?:shake:

-King-
12-14-2009, 01:01 PM
Keep him in games until they're won. In the 2nd half, when they get a 14 point lead, sit him. No point in NOT trying to go undefeated.

Colts have bad luck coming off byes.........unless they're playing the Chiefs.

Mile High Mania
12-14-2009, 01:21 PM
This, and no I don't care that championships are what matter. If either of these teams goes undefeated and wins the superbowl they will instantly be in the running for best team ever. How do you pass that up?

The Patriots were 18-0 at one point... I would imagine that if you were to ask the Patriots about that 18-1 record a few years ago, they would resoundingly say "Yes, we would like for that 1 loss to have come at a different time".

You think those games are meaningless to Indy?:shake:

Is the ultimate goal to make history or to win a SuperBowl? Sure, you can do both and if they can, they'll do everything in their power to make it happen, but when it boils down to history or the title... I think they'll all say "we'll take the title."

The Colts cannot improve their playoff position at this point... the purpose of the regular season is to give your team the best chance at winning in the playoffs, getting the bye and only playing away from your stadium when you reach the SuperBowl. That goal has been achieved.

16-0 would be fantastic I'm sure... but, it's not the priority.

The Bad Guy
12-14-2009, 01:25 PM
Sitting guys also gives the Jaguars an unfair advantage over other wild card teams. Playing Curtis Painter, Mike Hart, and Hank Baskett is basically giving the Jaguars a W.

Mecca
12-14-2009, 01:27 PM
Personally I think Dungy's propensity to sit players at the end of every season is why that team always struggled in the playoffs.

Mile High Mania
12-14-2009, 01:27 PM
Sitting guys also gives the Jaguars an unfair advantage over other wild card teams. Playing Curtis Painter, Mike Hart, and Hank Baskett is basically giving the Jaguars a W.

It happens... in reality, the Colts shouldn't care about anything that doesn't relate to them.

Personally I think Dungy's propensity to sit players at the end of every season is why that team always struggled in the playoffs.

Very valid point...

BY1401
12-14-2009, 01:56 PM

I thought the same thing up until last season.

2005 = restfail
2006 = fightforplayoffseedingwin
2007 = restfail
2008 = fightforwildcardfail

CoMoChief
12-14-2009, 01:59 PM
You have to keep playing him so he can continue to gel with his players (starters)

However he can be pulled once his work is done after the first half. You can only practice and gets live snaps against other opponents during live games.

Mile High Mania
12-14-2009, 02:15 PM
You have to keep playing him so he can continue to gel with his players (starters)

However he can be pulled once his work is done after the first half. You can only practice and gets live snaps against other opponents during live games.

Yeah, I don't think that Peyton and company have quite found their groove... Peyton should have more yards and TDs this year than he has since 2004.