PDA

View Full Version : NFL Draft Jake Locker staying in school

ChiefsCountry
12-14-2009, 02:12 PM
Its on ESPN College Football Live right now.

Mecca
12-14-2009, 02:14 PM
As expected, he was just given about 2 mill by the Angels after being drafted in the baseball draft.

Mr. Flopnuts
FUCK YES!!!!!!!!!!

The Franchise
Flopnuts should be happy.

The Franchise
FUCK YES!!!!!!!!!!

Flopnuts should be happy.

I knew it.

Mr. Flopnuts
MOTHERFUCK YES!!!!!!!! UW finally goes bowling again next year. What a great fucking day!!!!

Mr. Flopnuts
12-14-2009, 02:15 PM
I knew it.

PBJ PBJ PBJ PBJ PBJ

Mecca
LOL I always thought it was a given he was staying after he got the Angel money.

ChiefsCountry
Herby said that he wanted to work under a pro-style offense with Sarkisan for another year.

Bradford is back in the top 10 now IMO.

kepp
12-14-2009, 02:16 PM
As expected, he was just given about 2 mill by the Angels after being drafted in the baseball draft.

Now how does that work? He has to give the $$ back if he goes to the NFL or something?

kepp
12-14-2009, 02:16 PM
Herby said that he wanted to work under a pro-style offense with Sarkisan for another year.

Bradford is back in the top 10 now IMO.

Bradford: "Jake, I'll give you 25% of my signing bonus."

Mecca
12-14-2009, 02:17 PM
I think he gets to keep that money, it's on the Angels for giving it to him thinking he'd play baseball.

Mr. Flopnuts
LOL I always thought it was a given he was staying after he got the Angel money.

Me too. I think the kid wants to play pro football, but who's turning down 3 million? This is the best thing for Jake from an NFL perspective as well.

He really struggled with accuracy until this year, and Sarkesian has him running a pro style offense. Sark is great for Jake and I think he'll be a top 5 pick in the draft next year for sure now.

This is great for me on many levels. By the end of next year, if Cassel doesn't improve that experiment may be over. I'd love to see Locker in a Chiefs uniform provided he progresses next year as well as he did this year.

kepp
I think he gets to keep that money, it's on the Angels for giving it to him thinking he'd play baseball.

Wow...that's a win/win for the kid.

'Hamas' Jenkins
The trade down contingent will be pissed.

The Franchise
12-14-2009, 02:18 PM
Me too. I think the kid wants to play pro football, but who's turning down 3 million? This is the best thing for Jake from an NFL perspective as well.

He really struggled with accuracy until this year, and Sarkesian has him running a pro style offense. Sark is great for Jake and I think he'll be a top 5 pick in the draft next year for sure now.

This is great for me on many levels. By the end of next year, if Cassel doesn't improve that experiment may be over. I'd love to see Locker in a Chiefs uniform provided he progresses next year as well as he did this year.

Not if the Chiefs draft Clausen this year. :D

Mr. Flopnuts
12-14-2009, 02:19 PM

Yeah. As a matter of fact, the contract he signed pretty much states so. He played semi pro ball during the offseason last year. He definitely has the chops to play baseball, but he loves football.

Mr. Flopnuts
12-14-2009, 02:20 PM
Not if the Chiefs draft Clausen this year. :D

Well, I just want the best QB for the Chiefs. I know you do. You've seen more of Clausen, and I've seen more of Jake, but I love Locker. It would be much cooler for him to be a Chief than it was for ex Husky Damon Huard.

Mecca
12-14-2009, 02:22 PM
Clausen is a lot more polished, I'd fear for Locker playing for the Chiefs he needs coaching and we basically have nothing in that regard.

Mr. Flopnuts
12-14-2009, 02:23 PM
Clausen is a lot more polished, I'd fear for Locker playing for the Chiefs he needs coaching and we basically have nothing in that regard.

Right now. Let's see how you feel after another year under Sark. I would've never wanted Locker on this team before this year. With the progress he made, if he can repeat that next year, I think we'll all want him. He's got a much better arm than Tebow and he is called the west coast Tim Tebow. We'll see, but I have a good feeling about him. But I am a homer for the Huskies..................

The Franchise
12-14-2009, 02:23 PM
Well, I just want the best QB for the Chiefs. I know you do. You've seen more of Clausen, and I've seen more of Jake, but I love Locker. It would be much cooler for him to be a Chief than it was for ex Husky Damon Huard.

I've watched a lot of Clausen the last two years.....and he's a really good QB. The only thing I don't like is he makes some decisions that leave you scratching your head. That and when he throws a fade to the corner of the endzone.....the fucking ball hangs there for 6 seconds. It's horrible to watch him throw that pass.

Mecca
12-14-2009, 02:25 PM
I also think Todd Haley would quickly ruin most young QB's so that factors in.

Mr. Flopnuts
12-14-2009, 02:31 PM
I also think Todd Haley would quickly ruin most young QB's so that factors in.

That's another reason I think it's great that he's staying in school. Who knows who the OC is gonna be next year. If it's someone who's good with QB's, we very well could be in the market next year. I just don't think there's any way in hell we draft a QB early on in this year's draft.

A solid OC, with a year of everyone learning the system, and then you draft your franchise QB. I shouldn't get too excited. It's about a million to one it happens.

The Franchise
12-14-2009, 02:36 PM
That's another reason I think it's great that he's staying in school. Who knows who the OC is gonna be next year. If it's someone who's good with QB's, we very well could be in the market next year. I just don't think there's any way in hell we draft a QB early on in this year's draft.

A solid OC, with a year of everyone learning the system, and then you draft your franchise QB. I shouldn't get too excited. It's about a million to one it happens.

Yeah....I really don't see us taking a QB this year....unless it's someone in the later rounds. If we can actually get some starters in this years draft.....then we won't be TO bad off. The worst thing that can happen is that we build the team through this years draft.....and Cassel shits the bed next year. That means that we can get rid of his ass and go looking for another QB. Hopefully that means that we'll be drafting one and one will be there to draft.

Titty Meat
12-14-2009, 02:39 PM
Nebraska plays them next year. Hmmm this will prolly be a national televised game now.

Titty Meat
12-14-2009, 02:39 PM
The trade down contingent will be pissed.

:(

Mr. Flopnuts
12-14-2009, 02:45 PM
Nebraska plays them next year. Hmmm this will prolly be a national televised game now.

I expect it to be a competitive one too. First time I've been able to say that in almost a decade. It's a good fucking day to be a Dawgs fan.

eazyb81
12-14-2009, 02:48 PM

It was 300K, not 2 mill.

And yes, he does receive the money, but if he ever decides to play baseball because the football thing isn't working out, he has to play for the Angels.

Titty Meat
12-14-2009, 02:50 PM
How much are football tickets up there? I've always wanted to see Seattle

Titty Meat
12-14-2009, 02:51 PM
300k and being the star QB at your college, The guy most bone entire sirrority houses.

Frosty
12-14-2009, 03:13 PM
* Chocks up another Beaver win against the Huskies next year *

Sweet Daddy Hate
12-14-2009, 03:20 PM
Congratulations Flop!

Mr. Flopnuts
12-14-2009, 04:09 PM
It was 300K, not 2 mill.

And yes, he does receive the money, but if he ever decides to play baseball because the football thing isn't working out, he has to play for the Angels.

Everything I heard, it was 3 million. That would be a bunch though considering he was a 10th round draft pick, and Dennis Dixon was only paid 150k after being drafted in the 5th round with a very similar deal.

I think you're right. I know Anaheim also had to pay his tuition at school for the next couple of years as it freed up a scholarship for the Dawgs.

Mr. Flopnuts
12-14-2009, 04:11 PM
* Chocks up another Beaver win against the Huskies next year *

I'm not even gonna talk any shit. The Beavers are going to be WAY better next year than they were this year. And frankly, they're coming off of what is probably their largest margins of victory against UW in back to back years. They won't blow us out next year though. That game will be competitive.

The Franchise
12-14-2009, 04:29 PM
When the hell is Nate Montana gonna get a chance?

Mr. Flopnuts
12-14-2009, 04:32 PM

They'll probably red shirt him and start him the following year after Locker leaves. I know his dad really wanted him to play for Sark. That kid was going to USC until Steve signed with the Dawgs.

Joe Seahawk
12-14-2009, 06:50 PM

Locker to stay home and play for the Seahawks!

This is fantastic news that he's returning to the Huskies, please stay healthy Jake..

Tribal Warfare
12-14-2009, 06:53 PM

That's Nick Montana, Nate is playing backup at ND as a walk-on.

Mr. Flopnuts
12-14-2009, 06:55 PM
Locker to stay home and play for the Seahawks!

This is fantastic news that he's returning to the Huskies, please stay healthy Jake..

The Hawks will need a quarterback by the time Locker comes out as well. I know everyone involved would love that situation. If he doesn't go to the Chiefs, there's no other team I'd rather see him on.

chief52
12-14-2009, 07:12 PM
Yeah. As a matter of fact, the contract he signed pretty much states so. He played semi pro ball during the offseason last year. He definitely has the chops to play baseball, but he loves football.

Where did he play baseball this offseason? Probably sounds picky, but it is actually college summer ball, not semi-pro. You hear that a lot, but there is nothing "pro" about it. Do you know who he played for?

chief52
12-14-2009, 07:18 PM
I found it... Bellingham Bells of the West Coast Collegiate Baseball League. good league. Seen some of the teams in the league play here against the Humboldt Crabs. Corvallis Knights ( Knight as in Nike Knight ) play every year. Very good brand of baseball.

Basileus777
12-14-2009, 08:18 PM
He would have likely been the top QB taken this year. He's leaving a fair bit of money of the table.

Mr. Flopnuts
12-14-2009, 08:20 PM
He would have likely been the top QB taken this year. He's leaving a fair bit of money of the table.

I don't know that McShay was accurate in him being the top pick, but I'm glad he's staying none the less. No way I would've if I thought I'd go top 5. He did submit to the NFL advisory committee.

Basileus777
12-14-2009, 08:24 PM
I don't know that McShay was accurate in him being the top pick, but I'm glad he's staying none the less. No way I would've if I thought I'd go top 5. He did submit to the NFL advisory committee.

If there is any lesson to be learned from previous QBs who have stayed in school, it's take the money while it's there. Scouts will nitpick you to death if you give them an extra year. Look at Russell and Young coming out when they were hot compared to guys like Leinart, Quinn, Bradford, etc. who stayed in school and paid for it.

BryanBusby
12-14-2009, 11:57 PM
If there is any lesson to be learned from previous QBs who have stayed in school, it's take the money while it's there. Scouts will nitpick you to death if you give them an extra year. Look at Russell and Young coming out when they were hot compared to guys like Leinart, Quinn, Bradford, etc. who stayed in school and paid for it.

A lot of what people have said is true. He will likely be leaving quite a bit of money on the table for his rookie contract by staying another year. With that out of the, the kid lacked a lot of polish and will benefit by staying bar a freak event. The team that eventually bags him in will benefit most.

E: If Clausen and Bradford are the only QB's declaring early this season, next years class should look pretty damn good if Locker, Snead and Mallet all make strides.

chiefzilla1501
12-15-2009, 12:00 AM
Good. This guy scared the hell out of me.

Basileus777
12-15-2009, 12:00 AM
A lot of what people have said is true. He will likely be leaving quite a bit of money on the table for his rookie contract by staying another year. With that out of the, the kid lacked a lot of polish and will benefit by staying bar a freak event. The team that eventually bags him in will benefit most.

E: If Clausen and Bradford are the only QB's declaring early this season, next years class should look pretty damn good if Locker, Snead and Mallet all make strides.

I think the move is fine from a football perspective. Another year of experience in a NFL type system will likely benefit him. But from a financial perspective, it's a big mistake.

BryanBusby
12-15-2009, 12:33 AM
It's hard to say. There is no guarantee there will be a rookie slotting system or cap put into place and if he continues to move upward he could go from the top QB in the draft to deadlock #1 overall selection. In general, I agree that the move will likely backfire on him when it comes to getting paid on his rookie deal.

If there is any positive, he could avoid going into a hell zone known as Cleveland this year and is guaranteed to not land in Oakland unless his stock drops in the toilet.

Joe Seahawk
12-15-2009, 12:43 AM
It's hard to say. There is no guarantee there will be a rookie slotting system or cap put into place and if he continues to move upward he could go from the top QB in the draft to deadlock #1 overall selection. In general, I agree that the move will likely backfire on him when it comes to getting paid on his rookie deal.

If there is any positive, he could avoid going into a hell zone known as Cleveland this year and is guaranteed to not land in Oakland unless his stock drops in the toilet.

Perhaps he was trying to avoid the Rams?

BryanBusby
12-15-2009, 12:45 AM
Perhaps he was trying to avoid the Rams?

Well now that you mention it, Dick Curl is a QB Coach there. Yeah, probably. The Rams are more hopeless than the Chiefs though and it's probably a safe assumption they will be in the Top 5 again in 2011.