PDA

View Full Version : Poop A Pet Question

Donger
12-15-2009, 07:20 PM
Say your pet (be it a dog, cat, hamster, snake, or whatever) is ill because of it's own stupidity and you have a choice: pay for surgery to fix the animal or let it die. What would be the fiscal tipping point for you to decide to let the animal die?

Thanks.

luv
12-15-2009, 07:22 PM
How old is it?

Donger
12-15-2009, 07:22 PM
How old is it?

One year old.

mikeyis4dcats.
12-15-2009, 07:26 PM
a hamster, fish, bird I could personally never get attached to to the point of spending anything significant.

One of our dogs however, I would spend significant money on if we could afford it.

RippedmyFlesh
Say your pet (be it a dog, cat, hamster, snake, or whatever) is ill because of it's own stupidity and you have a choice: pay for surgery to fix the animal or let it die. What would be the fiscal tipping point for you to decide to let the animal die?

Thanks.

1 factor for me would be how they are expected to recover I wouldn't want to prolong suffering.

Pablo
Approximately three times the amount you paid for said animal.

Iowanian
12-15-2009, 07:27 PM
The value of my dog was the value I paid for him.

The look of shock when I told the vet that the value of my dog's life was less than $300 and to consider that with treatment suggestions.

What I never understand is the people who spend thousands on diseased, OLD dogs/cats. I understand the attachment, but not the thought process in prolonging a pet's suffering.

Donger
12-15-2009, 07:30 PM

Interesting. That's what the very decision I'm facing, and then some.

Buck
12-15-2009, 07:32 PM
How much do you love the pet?

Sorry, can't place a monetary value on something you truly care about.

If you are even questioning this, it sounds obvious that you don't care too much.

Bugeater

The look of shock when I told the vet that the value of my dog's life was less than $300 and to consider that with treatment suggestions.

What I never understand is the people who spend thousands on diseased, OLD dogs/cats. I understand the attachment, but not the thought process in prolonging a pet's suffering.
My mother in law once drove all the way down to Kansas State University to have some kind of surgery done to her 15 yr old cat.

Mojo Jojo
What are the costs? How long will the pet live with treatment? Will the pet suffer durning or after the treatment? Do you have kids and what do they say?

We have friends that are laying down @ $5,000 on a dog to have surgery that will give the dog one to two more years of life with pain. By the way they told their kids they won't be getting much for Christmas so they can save the dog. Two vets said to put the dog down, but they won't let it go.

There are too many questions you need to answer...other than that you are getting the advice you paid for on the site.

Donger
12-15-2009, 07:33 PM
How much do you love the pet?

Sorry, can't place a monetary value on something you truly care about.

If you are even questioning this, it sounds obvious that you don't care too much.

I don't love animals.

CoMoChief
12-15-2009, 07:34 PM
Birds, reptiles, cats, rodents, etc. Just let em die prob.

If I could afford it I'd pay a lot for my dog get healthy again, granted I would take age into account. Wouldnt be paying out the ass for a 12 yr old hound.

Bugeater
12-15-2009, 07:35 PM
So if you got the animal for free...nothing?

Buck
12-15-2009, 07:35 PM
I don't love animals.

Then, why are you posting this thread? If you don't love it, then why does it matter to you if you save its life?

Bugeater
12-15-2009, 07:36 PM
Then, why are you posting this thread? If you don't love it, then why does it matter to you if you save its life?
I'm guessing he has family members that DO love the animal.

Donger
12-15-2009, 07:36 PM

Because I have a family who does love the animal. Any other questions?

Bugeater
12-15-2009, 07:38 PM
I suppose replacement cost would be the sensible tipping point, assuming you are going to replace it if it dies.

Pablo
12-15-2009, 07:39 PM
So if you got the animal for free...nothing?Pretty much.

I don't have a problem with mutts, but as far as dogs go, they're an investment. If you can breed them and make money, great. They're definitely worth more, and worth saving more than another mutt you got for free.

alnorth
12-15-2009, 07:40 PM
probably about $18,000. Maybe.

I cant actually afford to pay that, but I have a pretty good pet insurance policy. $250 deductible and 20% co-pay, insurance pays out a limit of $14,000 per incident, $100,000 for lifetime.

The limit caps out after coinsurance somewhere in the 17 grand range, so at $18,000, I'd be looking at about $4,000, which is close to the maximum I might be willing to pay.

Buck
12-15-2009, 07:42 PM

That makes sense. Sorry that was a bit confusing. You aren't really giving us the full story, so I can't decide.

Mr. Laz
12-15-2009, 07:43 PM
if you had a heart you wouldn't need to ask this question.

can you afford it ... then do it.

if you can't ... then don't.

RippedmyFlesh
12-15-2009, 07:45 PM
I don't love animals.
Sounds more like a pet you tolerated at best for the sake of others which is noble of you.When it's "your pet" it would be harder to discuss if illogically like myself you do love animals.
I had dogs as a kid and cats now.
I have fonder memories of those dogs than I do of some of people I have known.

'Hamas' Jenkins
12-15-2009, 07:46 PM

p. much.

tmax63
12-15-2009, 07:46 PM
Age, prognosis, level and length of care during recovery and follow-ups as everyone has stated before plays a big part. I love my dogs dearly but family comes first. Sometimes the most humane thing is lead poisoning (done correctly) or an overdose of barbiturates and potassium chloride by the vet. Each one is an individual case that that has to be looked at in the context of the situation.

Saulbadguy
12-15-2009, 07:47 PM
It really depends on if the surgery is guaranteed to fix it or not. If it is guaranteed to fix it, probably up to $500. If it's experimental, bye bye kitty.

LaChapelle
12-15-2009, 07:48 PM
Sounds suicidal. It's an animal, let natural selection do it's will.

CoMoChief
12-15-2009, 07:49 PM
I'm looking at my dog right now, 15 years old, cant hear, cant see, poop's on the walkway, my wife would kill me if I didnt do everything I could to keep his sorry ass around...

Jesus time to put the foot down.

Frazod
12-15-2009, 07:50 PM

If you have the means, why not? You're doing for your family, after all.

Donger

I do have a heart, but the dog caused this situation by his own actions. This isn't an illness.

Mr. Laz
I don't love animals.
so this thread was made by you because you are looking for excuses to do what you want to do already?

looking for something to ease your conscience for offing the animal you don't like anyway?

looking for some rationale to tell the family you'd rather not have?

stop me if i get close

Phobia
12-15-2009, 07:52 PM
The rule in my house is $100 for every year of life expectancy remaining. Our little dog is 9 and is expected to live 12-15 years. I'd guess $500 depending on the prognosis. If survival is iffy, I'll spend $.25 on a small caliber bullet.

Mr. Laz
I do have a heart, but the dog caused this situation by his own actions. This isn't an illness.
so the dumb animal deserves to die

is that the rationale you're using to ease your conscience or the excuse for the family?

Donger
so this thread was made by you because you are looking for excuses to do what you want to do already?

looking for something to ease your conscience for offing the animal you don't like anyway?

stop me if i get close

I do like the dog, but I don't love him. So, yes, stop.

Donger
12-15-2009, 07:53 PM
so the dumb animal deserves to die

is that the rationale you're using to ease your conscience or the excuse for the family?

No, but I will place a fiscal limit to save him. Was that not clear?

alnorth
12-15-2009, 07:53 PM
the dog caused this situation by his own actions.

That's not really relevant unless its something that will likely be repeated after surgery. (In which case your wasting good money delaying the inevitable)

Dogs and cats have the reasoning and critical thinking capabilities of severely retarded young children.

Donger
12-15-2009, 07:54 PM
That's not really relevant unless its something that will likely be repeated after surgery. (In which case your wasting good money delaying the inevitable)

Dogs and cats have the reasoning and critical thinking capabilities of severely retarded young children.

The dog apparently ingested something that is threatening his life.

Phobia
12-15-2009, 07:55 PM
The rule in my house is $100 for every year of life expectancy remaining. Our little dog is 9 and is expected to live 12-15 years. I'd guess $500 depending on the prognosis. If survival is iffy, I'll spend $.25 on a small caliber bullet.

FWIW, this is established, discussed, and understood in advance. It helps if you figure that out and plan accordingly, methinks.

Pablo
12-15-2009, 07:56 PM

stop me if i get closeSo, if you had like $20K in your savings account(say for an extra car fund or something) and your cat got some sort of rare cat cancer or some shit, you'd just throw it out there, no problem?

kstater
12-15-2009, 07:57 PM
Wait, there's pet insurance? No offense, but there really is a sucker born every minute.

And,
I enjoy having the dog around, but there's a time where it's best to cut bait and put it down. Probably around $500, and that's if it's a reasonable chance of normal survival.

mikeyis4dcats.
My mother in law once drove all the way down to Kansas State University to have some kind of surgery done to her 15 yr old cat.

My parents paid over $3k for my childhood dog at KSU to have multiple procedures. He truely was the sweetest dog you'd ever meet, and part of the family.

RIP Sam

alnorth
No, but I will place a fiscal limit to save him.

Thats absolutely fair and something everyone should think about. If someone's fiscal limit, whether through choice or financial hardship, is only a few hundred dollars, then all you can do is enjoy your time with the pet, make sure they get their regular visits, and hope for the best.

If someone's financial limit is several thousand dollars, they should probably think about insurance. I can probably reason logically that spending around $4,000 on a cat or dog is silly, but I know myself. I know damned well if my pet gets hurt I'm pulling out the credit card, so I bought a decent pet insurance policy to at least limit the financial damage if something crazy happens.

RippedmyFlesh
12-15-2009, 07:58 PM
Almost did that with my wifes cat.
I live not too far from cornell it's un fucking believable what vet colleges can do just about anything that can be done on a person they can do on a dog or cat. We didnt do it but basically anything is possible if you have the $$
Surgery mri's it can get into 5 figures at the blink of an eye.

alnorth
12-15-2009, 08:00 PM
Wait, there's pet insurance? No offense, but there really is a sucker born every minute.

Why? If you're probably only willing to pay a few hundred dollars then yeah its a bad deal. If you think you'll choose to spend several thousand dollars in that situation, then it begins to make sense to pay the premium.

Mr. Laz
12-15-2009, 08:01 PM
So, if you had like $20K in your savings account(say for an extra car fund or something) and your cat got some sort of rare cat cancer or some shit, you'd just throw it out there, no problem?
you misunderstand me, i have put a pet to sleep before.

I just think this thread is a cop out because he's looking for an excuse/rationale to do what he wants to do.

It's about the thread, not the pet.

i think a more honest thread should of be titled something like "I'm going have the family pet put to sleep and feel guilty about it ... help"

LaChapelle
12-15-2009, 08:01 PM
If you feel down the stairs and banged your head
it would lap up your salty blood

mikeyis4dcats.
12-15-2009, 08:02 PM

so if you were goofing around and broke your arm, would you not expect treatment because it was your own fault?

hate to break it to you chief, but animals don't have the same sense humans do.

Extra Point
12-15-2009, 08:03 PM
If you're still on this board waiting for opinions vs. getting demands from your family to save your dog, then you obviously don't have much vested interest. For a one-year-old dog, $400, tops. The bell curve varies, as mentioned above. I would spend down, as age goes up, as risk decreases as age increases.

I'm not a pet actuary, though I play one, as time permits.

Pablo
12-15-2009, 08:04 PM

I just think this thread is a cop out because he's looking for an excuse/rationale to do what he wants to do.

i think a more honest thread should of be titled something like "I'm going have the family pet put to sleep and feel guilty about it ... help"Earlier in the thread you said he didn't have a heart and if you have the financial means you should save the pet.

Well, if you've got $20K sitting back, then do you throw that out there if the vet tells you it's gonna take $20K to save the pet? Or do you try to establish financial boundaries like Donger is?

Donger
12-15-2009, 08:06 PM

i think a more honest thread should of be titled something like "I'm going have the family pet put to sleep and feel guilty about it ... help"

Not at all. I could kill him myself for free. I don't want him to die, but I also am logical enough to put a price on an animal's life. I paid about $1,800 for him and the surgery is going to be ~$3,500.00 alone plus post-op.

Pablo
12-15-2009, 08:07 PM
Not at all. I could kill him myself for free. I don't want him to die, but I also am logical enough to put a price on an animal's life. I paid about $1,800 for him and the surgery is going to be ~$3,500.00 alone plus post-op.WTF kind of dog costs $1,800?

kstater
How old is the animal?

Extra Point
Goodbye, doggie.

kstater
WTF kind of dog costs $1,800?

English Bulldog, easily.

Buck
Not at all. I could kill him myself for free. I don't want him to die, but I also am logical enough to put a price on an animal's life. I paid about $1,800 for him and the surgery is going to be ~$3,500.00 alone plus post-op.

$1800? WTF kind of animal is it?

Did he ingest a poisonous plant or animal or did he ingest some kind of chemical that was somewhere in your house?

Donger
12-15-2009, 08:08 PM
so if you were goofing around and broke your arm, would you not expect treatment because it was your own fault?

hate to break it to you chief, but animals don't have the same sense humans do.

Sure, but I don't agree with anthropomorphizing.

RippedmyFlesh
he is still in your X 3 range.

Donger

Dobermann.

Mr. Laz
12-15-2009, 08:09 PM
Earlier in the thread you said he didn't have a heart and if you have the financial means you should save the pet.

and i reserve the right to fuck with donger whenever i see fit so what's your point?

kstater
12-15-2009, 08:10 PM
At $3500, I'm looking at more than a months salary, pushing 3 paychecks. Sorry, but it'd be a buried dog at that amount.

Phobia
12-15-2009, 08:10 PM
I think we should put you down for spending $1800 on a frick'n dog.

kstater
12-15-2009, 08:12 PM

Including the paperwork fee, that's roughly $1750 more than needed. Too many good dogs get put down.

Donger
12-15-2009, 08:13 PM

Thanks for your input.

Donger
12-15-2009, 08:13 PM
and i reserve the right to **** with donger whenever i see fit so what's your point?

Yeah, you're a sweetheart.

Buck
12-15-2009, 08:14 PM
Yeah man. Cant believe you bought an $1800 dog in the first place, but thats not his fault. Anyways, it should probably be up to your wife and kids, and not us.

Pablo
12-15-2009, 08:15 PM
and i reserve the right to **** with donger whenever i see fit so what's your point?Didn't know you all had a personal issue, but feel free to f*ck with him whenever you like.

I just don't think it's heartless to ask a question regarding setting financial boundaries for a pet...

Pablo
12-15-2009, 08:16 PM
Yeah man. Cant believe you bought an $1800 dog in the first place, but thats not his fault. Anyways, it should probably be up to your wife and kids, and not us.It's obvious his wife and kids are probably attached to this dog, and the money part doesn't mean jack shit to the kids. It should mean something to someone though, that's a lot of damn money for a dog. But if you already spent $1,800 on this animal, you may as well save his/her dumbass and breed it to recoup some of the costs.

RippedmyFlesh
12-15-2009, 08:18 PM
Are you going to replace this dog soon? 1800 + 1800 and you are close to the cost of the surgery so if you were going to replace the dog soon I would say get the surgery on this one because if the money is relatively close it would mean much more to the rest of your family to save this one I would think.

Donger
12-15-2009, 08:20 PM
It's obvious his wife and kids are probably attached to this dog, and the money part doesn't mean jack shit to the kids. It should mean something to someone though, that's a lot of damn money for a dog. But if you already spent $1,800 on this animal, you may as well save his/her dumbass and breed it to recoup some of the costs.

Well, considering he is snipped, that isn't a consideration. I'm probably going to fix him regardless of the cost, but I'd be lying if the fiscal part of me didn't say, "It's going to cost HOW much"? I just wanted to get a feel for what others would expend on their pets to save them.

memyselfI
12-15-2009, 08:23 PM
A one year old dog or cat that will show no long term side effects would be worth saving especially since you sunk so much money into buying the animal in the first place.

kstater
12-15-2009, 08:26 PM
Well, considering he is snipped, that isn't a consideration. I'm probably going to fix him regardless of the cost, but I'd be lying if the fiscal part of me didn't say, "It's going to cost HOW much"? I just wanted to get a feel for what others would expend on their pets to save them.

You spent $1800 on a dog that you can't even breed?

ChiefsFan4Life
12-15-2009, 08:27 PM
Judging by this thread one can only assume Donger put out antifreeze for the dog and watched the dog ingest and now thinks he should let the dog die for being stupid enough to drink the antifreeze

I never understood people who pay $1800 for a dog when they could get a perfectly good dog for the small adoption fee of $50

Pablo
12-15-2009, 08:28 PM
Judging by this thread one can only assume Donger put out antifreeze for the dog and watched the dog ingest and now thinks he should let the dog die for being stupid enough to drink the antifreeze

I never understood people who pay $1800 for a dog when they could get a perfectly good dog for the small adoption fee of $50Typically because they have a good blood line and you can breed them and make a great deal of that back, if not make your money back x times over and have a family pet to boot.

Donger
12-15-2009, 08:28 PM

Yes.

stumppy
12-15-2009, 08:29 PM
The way I look at it is how attached you and/or your family are to the animal. And of course if you have the means.
I've always been a dog person. I had one dog I got when I was 5 yrs old, he died 13 yrs later. I would have done about anything for him. In fact, kinda funny but Lil stumppy is named after him.:D
Nowdays I have two beagles. Ones 14 the other is 12. The 12 yr old went blind a couple months ago, then got real sick last month. The little bastiage has diabetes. I have to watch his diet and, unfortunately give the bitting bastard 2 shots of insulin a day(they go in the neck...right up there by the choppers):D. It only costs me about $60 a month for the insulin and syringes and I have no problem with paying it. If I can afford whatever medical treatment they need and are not suffering in any way I'll gladly pay it. But then again I like my dogs better than most people I know.

Lumpy
12-15-2009, 08:29 PM

IMO, I think ur getting shafted on the cost. Have u checked w/ other vets?

We had a puppy that would chew up ever single item in our house; the couch, the carpet, and then he actually ate the glass out of a photo frame. We didn't even hesitate to get him into surgery, but it didn't cost that much, (around a grand, IIRC). They had to put him under, (of course), and remove every sliver of glass.

Mr. Laz
12-15-2009, 08:33 PM
Just tell your kids that by killing their pet you are helping to replenish the worlds oil supply.

Go big oil!!!

Donger
12-15-2009, 08:34 PM

I never understood people who pay $1800 for a dog when they could get a perfectly good dog for the small adoption fee of $50

Because I and my wife are partial to Dobermanns and we wanted a puppy with exceptional breeding to be raised with our kids. Having spent the last ten years fostering rescued Dobes, I would not have considered adopting with small children.

Donger
12-15-2009, 08:35 PM

We had a puppy that would chew up ever single item in our house; the couch, the carpet, and then he actually ate the glass out of a photo frame. We didn't even hesitate to get him into surgery, but it didn't cost that much, (around a grand, IIRC). They had to put him under, (of course), and remove every sliver of glass.

Actually, yes. Our normal vet can do the surgery for about a grand.

Donger
12-15-2009, 08:36 PM
Just tell your kids that by killing their pet you are helping to replenish the worlds oil supply.

Go big oil!!!

I fail to see how my dog's death would replenish the crude supply.

Phobia
12-15-2009, 08:44 PM

It's a Doberman. Just a little peanut butter and they're all yours.

JD10367
12-15-2009, 08:46 PM
Surgery vs. death, and/or the "fiscal tipping point to let the animal die", will vary greatly from person to person and from pet to pet. If you love your pet and you've had it a long time, money's no object. If you're not an animal person--and you don't sound like you are--then you'd probably let the thing croak.

But the question here doesn't seem to be about the animal, it seems to be about your family (since they're apparently the ones who care about the dog). The real question is, what's the "fiscal tipping point" for you to make your family happy by saving the dog? If you've got the cash, it's probably better to heal the dog.

Phobia
12-15-2009, 08:51 PM
Actually, yes. Our normal vet can do the surgery for about a grand.

I'm no animal surgeon but unless your regular vet is an epileptic risk, I think you just answered your own question.

Lumpy
12-15-2009, 08:51 PM
Welcome back JD. :D

JD10367
12-15-2009, 08:55 PM
Welcome back JD. :D

Thanks. It's one of the rare moments where I'm at home, and actually have a minute to log on. Of course, now I'm heading back out the door to spend literally all night (again) working on building my IMAX print of "Avatar". Sometimes I hate my job.

Back to the pets... I have a cat that I paid around $30 for at a pet store in 1997 (I know, bad me, don't buy pets from pet stores). This cat cost me two grand a few years back, when she had some sort of softball-sized tumor. But she was only around 8 years old, and she's got a lot of personality, so it was worth it for me.

Donger
12-15-2009, 08:55 PM
I'm no animal surgeon but unless your regular vet is an epileptic risk, I think you just answered your own question.

Yes, that was good news. He's going under the knife tomorrow. As punishment for and reminder of his stupidity, I've demanded that whatever he ingested be saved and placed around his collar.

DeezNutz
12-15-2009, 08:59 PM
The dog apparently ingested something that is threatening his life.

So it sounds like the fault actually lies with the owner(s).

NewChief
12-15-2009, 08:59 PM

One of our labs chewed up a string of Christmas lights. BRILLIANT! I think that lab had a grand total of about 8,000 in destruction before he finally outgrew that phase. The leg on the $5,000 antique table was the one that really helped wrack it up.

The best one, though, was the one that chewed up a piece of hemp rope then shit the thing out. We saw him running around out in the field with about a foot of rope sticking out of his ass. My dad went up to him and grabbed ahold of it. The dog took off running and about 6 feet of rope came out of his ass.

JD10367
12-15-2009, 09:00 PM
Yes, that was good news. He's going under the knife tomorrow. As punishment for and reminder of his stupidity, I've demanded that whatever he ingested be saved and placed around his collar.

Won't he just eat it again, then?

And this tactic might explain that g/f I had for a while, the one with the necklace of penises... :eek:

JD10367
12-15-2009, 09:00 PM
One of our labs chewed up a string of Christmas lights. BRILLIANT!

The best one, though, was the one that chewed up a piece of hemp rope then shit the thing out. We saw him running around out in the field with about a foot of rope sticking out of his ass. My dad went up to him and grabbed ahold of it. The dog took off running and about 6 feet of rope came out of his ass.

Certain parts of town, you gotta pay extra for that.

NewChief
12-15-2009, 09:02 PM
Certain parts of town, you gotta pay extra for that.

Yeah, I was looking for a benwa ball joke in there somewhere, but got tired of thinking and just hit submit.

Donger
12-15-2009, 09:02 PM
So it sounds like the fault actually lies with the owner(s).

Possibly. But what if the UIO is, say, a chess piece?

Donger
12-15-2009, 09:03 PM
Won't he just eat it again, then?

And this tactic might explain that g/f I had for a while, the one with the necklace of penises... :eek:

I'll encapsulate it in Plexiglass or something.

DeezNutz
12-15-2009, 09:04 PM

Checkmate.

You "won" the bill, unfortunately.

Mr. Flopnuts
12-15-2009, 09:04 PM
Interesting thread. For the $500 and lower crowd, is that lifetime? Or per incident? If it's per incident, how many incidents until you say fuck it, die?

DeezNutz
12-15-2009, 09:05 PM
Hmm....is pet insurance worth investigating...?

Phobia

Then you have an expensive game again.

Mr. Flopnuts
Also, remember, Donger bought this dog a little over a year ago. Gas was $4 a gallon then. If you don't like people buying 1800 dollar dogs, don't buy 4 dollar a gallon gasoline.

Mr. Flopnuts
12-15-2009, 09:06 PM

Pre existing conditions. Obama can't work fast enough, man.

Phobia
12-15-2009, 09:07 PM
Interesting thread. For the $500 and lower crowd, is that lifetime? Or per incident? If it's per incident, how many incidents until you say **** it, die?
For my dog with 5 years life expectancy, I don't expect to pour more than $500 into him beyond normal anticipated expenses. So if he experiences a rough patch of luck we'll experience puppy love shortly thereafter.

Iowanian
12-15-2009, 09:09 PM
I don't care how much I like an animal, if I can buy a semester of tuition for one of the kids for the cost......the kids will be learning one of life's tougher lessons.

North's pet will be put on Obama's "Cadilac plan tax' with that policy. Most people don't ahve that good of a health plan.

Mr. Flopnuts
12-15-2009, 09:11 PM
You guys make me feel better. My dog keeps biting her ass and tearing away all the fur. The vet wanted $350 to run a battery of tests to figure out why. I told the vet she could bite her entire ass off before I paid that over scratching. She don't have fleas, so it's not infecting my house.

alnorth
12-15-2009, 09:12 PM

IMO, it depends.

If your pet is old, dont buy pet insurance.

If you wouldnt spend more than a few hundred dollars before euthanasia, dont buy pet insurance.

If you are broke and dont have credit, dont buy pet insurance. (pet insurance usually works on a reimbursement basis, so you have to be able to pay the bill)

If you have lots of money in the bank and a few thousand dollars wouldnt really hurt, dont buy pet insurance.

If your pet is young and you would spend thousands of dollars to save it even though you probably cant afford to blow that kind of money on a dog or cat, you might want to think about it. Even then, you may decide instead to start up a pet savings account and self-insure. Assuming you dont raid the account for christmas presents and you are able to build it up before you need it, then you dont really need the insurance anymore.

Phobia
12-15-2009, 09:13 PM
You guys make me feel better. My dog keeps biting her ass and tearing away all the fur. The vet wanted $350 to run a battery of tests to figure out why. I told the vet she could bite her entire ass off before I paid that over scratching. She don't have fleas, so it's not infecting my house.

She caught Mad Tyson disease. Tattoo something strange on her face some everybody approaching her will be forewarned.

That will be $250.

Lumpy
12-15-2009, 09:14 PM

My dog had that problem too. Try Dermacool HC spray. I'm sure u can find it, (or something similar w/ hydrocortisone in it), at any pet store. It does wonders. If it doesn't help, then there could be something major wrong w/ ur dog.

Iowanian
12-15-2009, 09:15 PM

Isn't there a gland near a dog's ass that will make them do it? milk it.

It's chewing on it because it itches or hurts. My longest tenured dog, Roy the wonderdog, did that when he had ass cancer.

Mr. Flopnuts
12-15-2009, 09:16 PM
She caught Mad Tyson disease. Tattoo something strange on her face some everybody approaching her will be forewarned.

That will be $250.

Heh, the check's in the mail. Thanks Chief.

Mr. Flopnuts
12-15-2009, 09:17 PM

It's chewing on it because it itches or hurts. My longest tenured dog, Roy the wonderdog, did that when he had ass cancer.

I always refer to her backside as her ass, but it's actually a good 6-7 inches north of her tail and asshole. It's actually on her back. But I'd love to tell the wife to milk her. That would be youtube material.

booger
12-15-2009, 09:34 PM

That's the spirit.

At one year he is probably just getting over getting all his permanent teeth in and does chew on stuff he shouldn't. Plus he's still pissed cause you took away his balls.

I've been through this now with my Dobe who is 2 1/2 or so. Takes them awhile to except having no nuts. Luckily everything he wasn't supposed to eat he did digest. Sucks that happened to your dog and family.

I'll tell you what helps though, just sit him down and have a long talk with the son of a bitch. Tell him he's a Dobermann and it's about damn time he start acting like it. Tell him he isn't some retriever or something.

I've had similar talks with mine about issues he's had growing up.

booger
12-15-2009, 09:41 PM
Because I and my wife are partial to Dobermanns and we wanted a puppy with exceptional breeding to be raised with our kids. Having spent the last ten years fostering rescued Dobes, I would not have considered adopting with small children.

Sounds like you made the right call looking for the right temperment of the dog for your situation.

I wish you would just keep that stuff to yourself however, because now i can't come up with some smart assed remark about me spending 350 compared to your 1800.

Mr. Flopnuts
12-15-2009, 09:45 PM
My dog had that problem too. Try Dermacool HC spray. I'm sure u can find it, (or something similar w/ hydrocortisone in it), at any pet store. It does wonders. If it doesn't help, then there could be something major wrong w/ ur dog.

I totally missed this post. Thanks Lumpy, I'll give it a shot.

Phobia
12-15-2009, 09:52 PM
Sounds like you made the right call looking for the right temperment of the dog for your situation.

I wish you would just keep that stuff to yourself however, because now i can't come up with some smart assed remark about me spending 350 compared to your 1800.

Yeah, but your dog's sire's owners didn't go to some gymnasium every weekend of the year to show how well they could brush fur and walk a dog around on a leash. He got the better end of this.

booger
12-15-2009, 10:27 PM
Yeah, but your dog's sire's owners didn't go to some gymnasium every weekend of the year to show how well they could brush fur and walk a dog around on a leash. He got the better end of this.

True.

But my dog farts and belches more than i do. I'm pretty impressed.

ClevelandBronco
12-16-2009, 12:03 AM

I'm with Iowanian, except that I'd figure it from replacement cost. I could probably find a pretty good deal on a previously owned animal.

SPchief
12-16-2009, 03:26 AM
At $3500, I'm looking at more than a months salary, pushing 3 paychecks. Sorry, but it'd be a buried dog at that amount.

Your dog ingests something tommorow that bleeds her intestnse that requires imdiate surgery and you say no? and again it all depends on a dogs age, but your dog is maybe 5 years old

memyselfI
12-16-2009, 07:01 AM

I used to work in a Vet's office and had a dog that used to bite her fur off. What you are describing is the anal glad which can get infected if it becomes impacted. They will lalso scoot alot.

For my dog her fur biting was seasonal allergies to grass and an allergy to fleas. They treated her with Benadryl as a preventative and Prednisone when she was affected. She was on alot of Benadryl.

As far as tests go, mo way should the doctor have not ruled out this type of allergy from the beginning.

Amnorix
12-16-2009, 07:27 AM
I'm looking at my dog right now, 15 years old, cant hear, cant see, poop's on the walkway, my wife would kill me if I didnt do everything I could to keep his sorry ass around...

You need to convince your wife that the DOG wants to go. That she is keeping the poor thing around for HER benefit, and not for the dogs.

Amnorix
12-16-2009, 07:28 AM
Donger -- if your wife is one of those that loves the cat, and you have the financial resources to do it, then you should let her decide.

It's not worth a few hundred bucks to get hung with "you killed my sweet kitten" for the rest of your life.

Iowanian
12-16-2009, 07:30 AM
Interesting thread. For the $500 and lower crowd, is that lifetime? Or per incident? If it's per incident, how many incidents until you say **** it, die?

I've seen that decision made over a $5 packet of just planted flowers that were dug up the next morning.

Amnorix
12-16-2009, 07:34 AM
This thread reminds me of a visit to the vet I made with one of my cats when I was a kid. We were up at the counter and there was a little old lady who had her cat up on the counter.

The poor thing was skinny as a rail, somewhat splotchy fur coat, literally trembling as it sat on the counter, and one of its eyes was milky, obviously blind in that eye. The little old lady is talking to me and tells me that her beloved [cat's name] is 20 years old!

And as I'm sitting there, all of 10 or 11 years of age myself, all I can think is that the poor thing really is not keen on making it to 21, but I probably should tell the old bird that.

Amnorix
12-16-2009, 07:37 AM
I"m surprised anyone is trying to come up with hard and fast rule. Over $X or below $Y dollars or whatever.

Here would be my factors:

1. pet's age

2. chances of recurrence

3. how good is the pet. How much do you love it? Not all pets are equally loved/lovable.

4. what are your financial resources in relation to the procedure needed? Are you going to be charging this and paying 18% interest on the cost for the procedure for years?

To me, the answer on how much to spend depends entirely on the above.

Iowanian
12-16-2009, 07:39 AM
I'm with Iowanian, except that I'd figure it from replacement cost. I could probably find a pretty good deal on a previously owned animal.

In my case, I'd gotten a lab pup, named aftera poll here. I'd spent hour and hours and hours with him, playing and training. He was a very good, obedient and loyal dog very early with no accidents(yes, I let the shedding, Giant(giant dog from champion duck lines) Oaf with a tail like a stegasaurus in the house. (never, ever again).

One morning, I heard something, went downstairs to be met in the kitchen by a horrid stench...just as in the dark I stepped into dog-a-rhea.

I took him to the vet. The immediately proposed doom and gloom should I wait....could be an inside out inestine...there is a proceedure..xrays..could be this and that...."here, buy this type of food that costs twice per day what you spend to feed yourself".....and....and that is when I said "look, I like my dog very much, he's a good dog, but the value of his life is $300. Before I spend $301, I'll take him on his last walk in the woods.

They were floored.

It was at that time, that they said "well, it's probably a parasite, these pills are $28."

That did it....Truman was cured, and now he's living happily ever after on my inlaws farm.

BigMeatballDave
12-16-2009, 07:42 AM
If I could afford to pay to keep it alive, I would. I wouldn't take out a loan to do so.

Lzen
12-16-2009, 08:44 AM
We have friends that are laying down @ $5,000 on a dog to have surgery that will give the dog one to two more years of life with pain. By the way they told their kids they won't be getting much for Christmas so they can save the dog. Two vets said to put the dog down, but they won't let it go.

That is stupid. I love my pets but there is no way I would do that. Probably $500-$1000 would be my price limit.

MOhillbilly
12-16-2009, 08:46 AM
ive worked on a few and can honestly say ive never given up on any of em' till they give up the ghost.
Ive fought everything from cocci,parvo,snake bite,spider bites, prolapsed uteris, infection, fever, kidney failure, broken bones, mouth infections, man the list is endless.....

If its something i cant wrap my mind around i head for the vet, but thats pretty rare.
This doesnt mean i havent culled a few shitforbrains.

MOhillbilly
12-16-2009, 08:53 AM
In my case, I'd gotten a lab pup, named aftera poll here. I'd spent hour and hours and hours with him, playing and training. He was a very good, obedient and loyal dog very early with no accidents(yes, I let the shedding, Giant(giant dog from champion duck lines) Oaf with a tail like a stegasaurus in the house. (never, ever again).

One morning, I heard something, went downstairs to be met in the kitchen by a horrid stench...just as in the dark I stepped into dog-a-rhea.

I took him to the vet. The immediately proposed doom and gloom should I wait....could be an inside out inestine...there is a proceedure..xrays..could be this and that...."here, buy this type of food that costs twice per day what you spend to feed yourself".....and....and that is when I said "look, I like my dog very much, he's a good dog, but the value of his life is $300. Before I spend $301, I'll take him on his last walk in the woods.

They were floored.

It was at that time, that they said "well, it's probably a parasite, these pills are $28."

That did it....Truman was cured, and now he's living happily ever after on my inlaws farm.

vets get paid by feed/wormer companies to pimp products.

heartgaurd for instance is just ivomec. 1/10cc per 10lb every month from last frost in spring till first frost in fall.
gotta get the one for cattle&hogs 28$ for a 50cc bottle & 10c for a 3cc syringe.
vets can be a rip off.

MOhillbilly
12-16-2009, 09:36 AM
I totally missed this post. Thanks Lumpy, I'll give it a shot.

Did your vet do a scraping to check for scarcoptic mange? that takes about 2 seconds.

edit-what type dog & do you have a picture?

MOhillbilly
12-16-2009, 09:39 AM
-for some of you knuckleheads.....basic cynology 101-

Some things handed down to me or learned over a lifetime with dogs.
My top 3.

never let a dog enter your domain before you. restrain the dog on a leash till it understands you are first all the time, no exceptions.

never feed a dog from the table or kitchen. always feed the dog after you have eaten your fill.

never let a dog sleep in the same bed.

other rules that are chisled in stone.
ween new puppies in a secluded place for atleast 3 days.
taking them out only for some social time at morning and evening feedings.
Let em get over that howlin and crying right off the bat. And when you open that door on the last day that pup will jump for joy at the same time when you kennel the pup at night you wont have to hear it cry all night cause it knows you aint comin back out till morning.

never let a dog lick you. dogs lick mothers face to trigger milk to drop. last i checked i dont produce milk.

Understand what your commands mean to you first before you transmit them to your dog. doesnt mean much if 'off' & 'down' are the same commands.
Ive said this a million times. Dogs come equiped from the time they are off mothers tit to read us, they do not see us as humans but other dogs.
It is our job as handlers to A-be able to read our dogs and B- give the dog the ability to read us through our commands and body language.

K.I.S.S. - the basics are all thats needed for a good companion.
come,sit,stay,off,down,no,good dog,no biting.( i dont do any other than these till the dog has these commands down cold.)

firm but fair.firm correction, afterwards always give praise, heaps of praise for puppies. dogs and puppies live imo in a world of risk/reward same as it would be in a pack. Handlers should view this mindset and give restraint & praise with a even hand.

be ultra consistant- almost robotic.

People ask me all the time how i can have a hotrod dog that is so well behaved yet will tear down doors hunting prey.
i tell them ' its not by accident '.

And remember, like my dad always said ' i never met a pup who didnt like alittle positive attention'.

Inspector
12-16-2009, 09:39 AM
How much does the dog weigh?

The Chinese buffet by our house pays $2.19 a pound.

No reason to let it go to waste.

Simply Red
12-16-2009, 09:58 AM
http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/gg180/Aaliyahshay/hello.gif

Cannibal
12-16-2009, 10:06 AM
I don't love animals.

Then why are you asking for advice. Let the animal die and spend 0 dollars in the process. Sounds like an easy decision.

Cannibal
12-16-2009, 10:10 AM
Kill it with extreme predujice.

BigCatDaddy
12-16-2009, 10:12 AM
Dude, I’m getting ready to drop 3K next month with KSU for cataract surgery on my 6 year old Min Pin. I know you have more cash then I do, so pony it up Big Dong.

bevischief
12-16-2009, 10:15 AM
I"m surprised anyone is trying to come up with hard and fast rule. Over $X or below $Y dollars or whatever.

Here would be my factors:

1. pet's age

2. chances of recurrence

3. how good is the pet. How much do you love it? Not all pets are equally loved/lovable.

4. what are your financial resources in relation to the procedure needed? Are you going to be charging this and paying 18% interest on the cost for the procedure for years?

To me, the answer on how much to spend depends entirely on the above.

this
Posted via Mobile Device

MOhillbilly
12-16-2009, 10:16 AM
Dude, I’m getting ready to drop 3K next month with KSU for cataract surgery on my 6 year old Min Pin. I know you have more cash then I do, so pony it up Big Dong.

CHRIST... how bout you send me that 6k and ill get you a champion or two and you breed the balls of em and make 50k....lol.

bevischief
12-16-2009, 10:16 AM
That is why I only go the old country vets that don"t mess around...
Posted via Mobile Device

The Franchise
12-16-2009, 10:18 AM
I spent $3000 to save a dog that I had for a week.....and it died 7 days later. And yes I realize that some people will say that I was stupid and that I should have just put him down. I don't care....

Still miss the little guy too....

Responding to the actual post though....it all depends. Is it something that's going to affect the dog for the rest of it's life? Will it be perfectly healthy once they do this?

tooge
12-16-2009, 10:20 AM
Depends on the age. An animal with a year or two to live going by the average age? Maybe $300. An animal with 5 or 6 years, probably a grand or so. I dumped $3600 into two knee replacements on my one year old lab 13 years ago. She lived to be 12 years old and was my best bud for those 12 years. Best $3600 I've ever spent. I then spent $400 on an emergency surgery when she was 12 and she died a week later. Worst $400 I've ever spent.

BigCatDaddy
12-16-2009, 10:24 AM
I’m big on personal responsibility and as we all know Donger is as well. When you get married you do everything you can to honor that commitment, when you have a child you raise them they way they deserve to be raised, and when you purchase a pet you give them every opportunity to live a full and happy life.

Simply Red
12-16-2009, 10:37 AM

Donger
12-16-2009, 10:39 AM

What is that thing?

38yrsfan
12-16-2009, 11:31 AM

Thanks.

Didn't read all the posts so if it has been said before, to bad ....... :rolleyes:

Obviously, what you do will be determined by what you value most and what is important to you.

Sometimes economics will determine the outcome, this happens with real people not just animals.