PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Babb: Haley doesn’t consider Cassel among Chiefs’ shortcomings

Tribal Warfare
12-16-2009, 07:57 AM
Haley doesn’t consider Cassel among Chiefs’ shortcomings (http://www.kansascity.com/sports/chiefs/story/1633904.html)
By KENT BABB
The Kansas City Star

Todd Haley hasn’t left much doubt, and he started this week by trying to quiet suggestions that Matt Cassel isn’t up to the job as the Chiefs’ starting quarterback.

No, Cassel didn’t respond well a week after being benched in a blowout loss to Denver. No, he didn’t avoid the one thing that Haley has suggested is a quarterback’s mortal sin — failing to protect the football — in Sunday’s loss to Buffalo.

The losses keep coming, and the questions have grown louder. But Haley reiterated during his weekly news conference that Cassel’s ability and long-term prospects are not among the Chiefs’ many shortcomings.

“I thought Matt did some real good things in that game,” Haley said of Kansas City’s 16-10 loss to the Bills. “It’s easy to pile on the quarterback.”

Cassel hasn’t done much to make it any less easy. Haley benched Cassel against the Broncos after he threw no touchdown passes with two interceptions and amassed a 14.6 quarterback rating. Cassel said he’d have to be better.

This past Sunday, Cassel’s rating was 35.4. He still threw zero touchdown passes but had four interceptions instead of two.

But Cassel finished the game, so there’s that, and Haley spent part of Monday saying that Cassel is the Chiefs’ man … and he’d keep on being the Chiefs’ man … and, yes, the interceptions were unfortunate … and, sure, Cassel could’ve been better in some of those situations … but, come to think of it, most of those bad throws weren’t even really his fault.

“I think there’s one decision we’d like to have back,” Haley said. “I was overall pleased with the majority of the quarterback play.”

Two of those intercepted passes were tipped, and two came late in the fourth quarter when Kansas City was desperate for a go-ahead touchdown. Several receivers dropped open passes, too. So it wasn’t just Cassel.

But as the Chiefs continue waiting for Cassel to show signs that he offers something more than leadership, intensity and a name on the receiving end of a long-term contract, he’s running out of games to quiet the doubt that might just follow him into the offseason.

He’s also the nerve center of an offense that has spent 13 games trying new things, searching for an identity, licking its wounds, and taking stock in the small victories — “We overcame a penalty or two,” Haley said — and not offering much proof that improvement is ongoing.

But Haley seems comfortable that Cassel has it in him to be great, or at least better than he has been. The coach said that the offense could have been more efficient Sunday, could’ve lined up more quickly, could have gotten organized without having to rush as often. But those weren’t shortcomings attributed to the quarterback.

“Matt was doing what he was supposed to do,” Haley said.

The Chiefs and Cassel now have three games remaining to salvage something from a season that hasn’t offered much in the way of hope.

“I don’t have any doubt we’re making progress,” Haley said. “It’s tough when you look at the record and see that. But I just have to go by what I see on a daily basis and see what I see during the game, after the game, certain responses by players, desire of the players to get better and do the right thing. We’re making progress.”

It’s just not easy to see, from the Chiefs and occasionally from Cassel. But if Haley has made one thing clear, it’s that the team believes in its quarterback. No, he might not be perfect. But he’s it.

BigMeatballDave
12-16-2009, 07:57 AM
Well, then Haley is a fucking idiot...

suds79
12-16-2009, 08:02 AM
I couldn't even read the article.

I just saw the headline and believed it's a bunch of BS that Todd will be feeding us that he personally doesn't believe but has to do anyways because he has to stick by his QB.

Whether he likes it or not.

You tell me if I'm right.

Bane
12-16-2009, 08:06 AM
Well, then Haley is a ****ing idiot...

You know,I understand Haley has to support Cassel and treat him like a 9 year old at daycare and say all the right things but deep down he has to be kicking his own ass in the bathroom before and after his press conferences like Jim Carrey in Liar Liar.:banghead::banghead:

Reerun_KC
12-16-2009, 08:10 AM
Has Haley checked with all the unemployeed NFL GM's on Chiefsplanet about this yet?

HemiEd
12-16-2009, 08:48 AM
What else is Haley going to say?

Our QB is a panicking idiot, without the capability to throw the long ball accurately?

He is damaged goods?

No, this team is stuck with him for at least one more season, hopefully this offseason will dull some of sensitivity that Cassel has developed for getting sacked.

The long ball accuracy? Not much hope, his eyes are too close together in his head. So it is harder for him to triangulate the receiver, like a normal person.

Hog's Gone Fishin
12-16-2009, 09:16 AM
Captain checkdown with his wobble launcher part II

OnTheWarpath15
12-16-2009, 09:31 AM
http://i41.tinypic.com/2gwgp4j.jpg

King_Chief_Fan
12-16-2009, 09:49 AM
Haley should be considered among Chiefs shortcomings.

His comments about Cassel are proof of that. I know he isn't going to give him a public flogging but his comments don't appear to be rational based on what is seen.

El Jefe
12-16-2009, 09:49 AM
Well, then Haley is a ****ing idiot...

I didn't even read the article, the headline was enough to make me vomit in my mouth.

Ralphy Boy
12-16-2009, 10:18 AM
Good. He should say all those things, just like Vermeil did when Trent led the league in INT's in his first year here. Then he should also do what Vermeil did and get him an offensive line to protect him so it doesn't look like they made a HUGE mistake in getting him.

The whole team sucks, so it would be more likely that Haley would go than Cassel, but neither of them are going anywhere for at least another couple of seasons. Cassel has shown that he can be a successful starting QB in the NFL, I don't care if it was in New England where he supposedly never had to overcome any adversity, or dropped passes because his receivers were perfect and had 2 1/2 minutes after each snap to throw.

Haley however, has not shown that he can be a successful Head Coach in the NFL. At this point, he's a worse coach than Cassel is QB.

Hammock Parties
12-16-2009, 10:25 AM
I don't think Haley wants Cassel. Pioli is forcing him on him.

The Franchise
12-16-2009, 10:34 AM

This.

Marcellus
12-16-2009, 10:35 AM

Our QB is a panicking idiot, without the capability to throw the long ball accurately?

He is damaged goods?

No, this team is stuck with him for at least one more season, hopefully this offseason will dull some of sensitivity that Cassel has developed for getting sacked.

The long ball accuracy? Not much hope, his eyes are too close together in his head. So it is harder for him to triangulate the receiver, like a normal person.
:)

Coogs
12-16-2009, 11:01 AM
What do you guys think of Jason Campbell of Washington? Would you be happy if he was our QB instead of Cassel? I am saying this because from everything I have heard, Washington is totally in the market for a QB. I have not watched many Redskins games, but I would be inclined to agree. I would not have faith in Campbell being our QB either. I am using Campbell, because he has thrown 6 more passes than Cassel on the season.

Go to this link...

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?season=2009&seasonType=REG&d-447263-o=2&conference=null&tabSeq=0&statisticCategory=PASSING&d-447263-p=1&d-447263-s=PASSING_ATTEMPTS&d-447263-n=1

...and compare the 2 QB's numbers. Pretty damn scary if you asked me!

Mr. Laz
12-16-2009, 11:02 AM
this

we will find out what Haley really thinks of Cassel in the offseason.

Mr. Laz
12-16-2009, 11:03 AM
What do you guys think of Jason Campbell of Washington? Would you be happy if he was our QB instead of Cassel? I am saying this because from everything I have heard, Washington is totally in the market for a QB. I have not watched many Redskins games, but I would be inclined to agree. I would not have faith in Campbell being our QB either. I am using Campbell, because he has thrown 6 more passes than Cassel on the season.

Go to this link...

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?season=2009&seasonType=REG&d-447263-o=2&conference=null&tabSeq=0&statisticCategory=PASSING&d-447263-p=1&d-447263-s=PASSING_ATTEMPTS&d-447263-n=1

...and compare the 2 QB's numbers. Pretty damn scary if you asked me!
Do not want Campbell plox

Coogs
12-16-2009, 11:08 AM
Do not want Campbell plox

And he is kicking the crap out of Cassel in nearly every stinking catagory. Pretty sad.

Bring on Clausen!

Mr. Laz
12-16-2009, 11:10 AM
And he is kicking the crap out of Cassel in nearly every stinking catagory. Pretty sad.

Bring on Clausen!
while i don't disagree about Clausen ... QB stats are just as much a reflection of the entire offense as anything.

Reerun_KC
12-16-2009, 11:11 AM

Bring on Clausen!

Oh boy, this ought to cause ripples through the board....

Draft a QB in the 1st round? WTF r u thinking?

Coogs
12-16-2009, 11:15 AM
QB stats are just as much a reflection of the entire offense as anything.

And to a degree, the vice versa is true as well.

I know it is not the QB position, but look at the difference Charles has made over LJ at the RB spot. Maybe not a fair comparison, but hopefully you get what I am saying.

Chiefnj2
12-16-2009, 11:17 AM

Haley didn't want Gailey, Haley didn't want Cassel. Haley probably should have looked for a different head coahcing gig.

Coogs
12-16-2009, 11:17 AM
Oh boy, this ought to cause ripples through the board....

Draft a QB in the 1st round? WTF r u thinking?

That I would like to see another Super Bowl with the Chiefs playing as the AFC rep. Saw it once as a kid. It was pretty cool.

Hammock Parties
12-16-2009, 11:20 AM
Haley didn't want Gailey, Haley didn't want Cassel. Haley probably should have looked for a different head coahcing gig.

Money talks.

HC_Chief
12-16-2009, 11:20 AM
Jut another example of the fact that QBs get more credit and flack than deserved.

DrRyan
12-16-2009, 11:54 AM
Cassel has a ton of shortcomings. Unfortunately we are stuck with him for, at minimum, one more season, hopefully not 5.

I think getting him a real QB coach could help to make those shortcomings less pronounced. I think it is painfully obvious that he is not going to become an accurate passer or be able to throw a good deep ball, but getting him a good QB coach could improve his decision making and game management. Currently his game management skills are inept. See the end of last weeks game, the INT before half from inside the ten(Raiders game right?), and multiple check downs in the middle of the field when the clock in winding down at the end of the half and games.

If he could just improve his ability to make competent decisions and manage the clock the Chiefs would likely have another win, maybe two. It is just maddening watching him try to run a two minute drill.

Mecca
12-16-2009, 12:03 PM
He has no choice, his boss chose that QB. What's he going to say, Cassel sucks ass and he really doesn't want to play him but that isn't an option?

That's Pioli's boy Haley will go before Cassel does.

Coogs
12-16-2009, 12:03 PM
It is just maddening watching him try to run a two minute drill.

The worst was Sunday when he wasted several seconds after everyone was lined up just spiking the ball to stop the clock. Crap like that has to lose the faith of his teammates in his abilities to lead them to a win. And that is not really something that needs to be coached... that is common sense.

HemiEd
12-16-2009, 12:04 PM
:)

That was the goal.

tyler360
12-16-2009, 12:07 PM
It would be nice if the KC star would report something not so damn obvious just once.

Fish
12-16-2009, 12:11 PM
He has no choice, his boss chose that QB. What's he going to say, Cassel sucks ass and he really doesn't want to play him but that isn't an option?

That's Pioli's boy Haley will go before Cassel does.

Some would say he's already said that.... in a way...

http://i48.tinypic.com/1zbrnfk.gif

SDChiefs
12-16-2009, 12:15 PM

So thats why Matt is so bad. Haley has told him to not hit open recievers and throw a lot of interceptions, all the while never winning. ITS HALEYS FAULT!! Gimme a break.

Christofire
12-16-2009, 12:16 PM
I couldn't even read the article.

I just saw the headline and believed it's a bunch of BS that Todd will be feeding us that he personally doesn't believe but has to do anyways because he has to stick by his QB.

Whether he likes it or not.

You tell me if I'm right.

Early in the season, I don't think there was any question Matt was the better option. Brodie rehabbed much of the offseason, had missed a bunch of games at the end of last year, and didn't get near the OTA reps Cassel did to shake off rust and acclimate himself to the team. It's amazing he performed serviceably in the Baltimore game.

Now, Brodie been's healthy all season and has been getting consistent second-team reps every weeks. I think this gives him a better chance at improving on Cassel's play. But things are SO tailored to Cassel now, it would be hard to switch horses.

King_Chief_Fan
12-16-2009, 12:24 PM

So thats why Matt is so bad. Haley has told him to not hit open recievers and throw a lot of interceptions, all the while never winning. ITS HALEYS FAULT!! Gimme a break.

doing what he is supposed to do does not result in a QB rating of 34.5

Chiefnj2
12-16-2009, 12:31 PM
doing what he is supposed to do does not result in a QB rating of 34.5

It might come close if your OC keeps calling for a wide receiver screen pass that goes for minus 3 yards on average.

Mecca
12-16-2009, 12:38 PM
Well I don't know what else he can call Mark Bradley can beat his guy downfield twice for TD's and Cassel can't even get the ball in the same zipcode.

SAUTO
12-16-2009, 12:40 PM
Well I don't know what else he can call Mark Bradley can beat his guy downfield twice for TD's and Cassel can't even get the ball in the same zipcode.

come on, same zip code? did you watch the game?

Mecca
12-16-2009, 12:41 PM
Keep defending him man, those were completely awful throws, by NFL standards Bradley was pretty wide open and he didn't come close.

SAUTO
12-16-2009, 12:43 PM
Keep defending him man, those were completely awful throws, by NFL standards Bradley was pretty wide open and he didn't come close.

defending him? no, but lets be realistic. those throws werent as bad as you would like to make them out to be. they WERE close no matter what you think, hell if bradley would have tracked the first one a little better he would have caught it

Red Dawg
12-16-2009, 12:44 PM
Has Haley checked with all the unemployeed NFL GM's on Chiefsplanet about this yet?

He checked with me and I'm good with Matt. I also promised to get him some actual NFL Wr's to replace the pathedic lot he has now.

DeezNutz
12-16-2009, 12:45 PM
It might come close if your OC keeps calling for a wide receiver screen pass that goes for minus 3 yards on average.

Haley said that the plan was to start the game with a lot of "high percentage passes."

The implicit claim is sufficiently clear.

OnTheWarpath15
12-16-2009, 12:46 PM
defending him? no, but lets be realistic. those throws werent as bad as you would like to make them out to be. they WERE close no matter what you think, hell if bradley would have tracked the first one a little better he would have caught it

:spock:

Both were WELL overthrown.

The only way Bradley was catching either was with an ACME rocket strapped to his back.

A "close" throw is one a WR can at least make a play on.

That wasn't the case here, no matter how badly you want it to be.

DeezNutz
12-16-2009, 12:47 PM

Close? Not really.

And Bradley was not at fault in the slightest. Both passes were absolutely terrible.

Mecca
12-16-2009, 12:47 PM
It's Mark Bradley's fault that Matt Cassel sucks, never the QB's fault!

Hammock Parties
12-16-2009, 12:48 PM
Bradley dove for both of those throws and didn't come close to catching either...now imagine if he hadn't sold out his body.

Well overthrown.

Tribal Warfare
12-16-2009, 01:05 PM

Dude, look at the subtitle below his name. That's all you need to know

Mecca
12-16-2009, 01:06 PM
Dude, look at the subtitle below his name. That's all you need to know

He's one of those guys, you know whoever is playing for the Chiefs is the best cause they're wearing the red and he wants them to be.

Chiefnj2
12-16-2009, 01:18 PM
Haley said that the plan was to start the game with a lot of "high percentage passes."

The implicit claim is sufficiently clear.

It could be lots of things - high percentage for the QB to throw the ball accurately, high percentage so the receivers don't drop the ball, high percentage so the receivers run the correct route, high percentage because the OL doesn't have to pass block very long.

Coogs
12-16-2009, 01:30 PM
Early in the season, I don't think there was any question Matt was the better option. Brodie rehabbed much of the offseason, had missed a bunch of games at the end of last year, and didn't get near the OTA reps Cassel did to shake off rust and acclimate himself to the team. It's amazing he performed serviceably in the Baltimore game.

Now, Brodie been's healthy all season and has been getting consistent second-team reps every weeks. I think this gives him a better chance at improving on Cassel's play. But things are SO tailored to Cassel now, it would be hard to switch horses.

And I really think you could make a case that the Baltimore game produced the best QB'ed game of the season for the Chiefs. And that is with the whole offseason and season being taylored to Cassels abilities.

I've seen enough to know we need to bring in a QB. If in 3 to 4 years that QB turns out like Rodgers did in Green Bay, then the 1st round pick will be one well spent pick. Long term over short term.

DeezNutz
12-16-2009, 01:32 PM
It could be lots of things - high percentage for the QB to throw the ball accurately, high percentage so the receivers don't drop the ball, high percentage so the receivers run the correct route, high percentage because the OL doesn't have to pass block very long.

Coming off a 14.6 QB rating and a benching, what's your best guess as to the reason for a bunch of "high percentage passes"?

SAUTO
12-16-2009, 02:02 PM
Bradley dove for both of those throws and didn't come close to catching either...now imagine if he hadn't sold out his body.

Well overthrown.

GIF THE first one please.

Chiefnj2
12-16-2009, 02:33 PM
Coming off a 14.6 QB rating and a benching, what's your best guess as to the reason for a bunch of "high percentage passes"?

A combination of all of the above especially considering receivers dropped 7 balls in the first half of that game alone and Chambers admitted to running the route incorrectly on 2 additional plays where Cassel was looking to go to him. That's 9 potential catches and the QB getting into a rhythm.

DeezNutz
12-16-2009, 02:35 PM
A combination of all of the above especially considering receivers dropped 7 balls in the first half of that game alone and Chambers admitted to running the route incorrectly on 2 additional plays where Cassel was looking to go to him. That's 9 potential catches and the QB getting into a rhythm.

As we discussed after that game, some of the "drops" were the result of piss poor throws. For example, look at the "drops" attributed to Cox and Charles.

OnTheWarpath15
12-16-2009, 03:09 PM

I'll give you ALL NINE of those "potential" catches, and I'll give you an extremely generous 11 yards for each.

That raises his QB rating to a masterful 54.3

Even with the drops, and a generous amount of additional yardage, his performance still sucks.

Hammock Parties
12-16-2009, 03:18 PM
GIF THE first one please.

Suck my balls, please.

Christofire
12-16-2009, 03:31 PM

Well overthrown.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-videos/09000d5d8146d56b/Matt-Cassel-Highlight-WK-11-vs-Steelers-2009

The above video is why I don't like Cassel's throwing motion. In the front view of his throw it looks like he has a three-quarters motion that gives it a flatter, sidearm-ish trajectory that balloons in the middle of the pass, then drops off the face of the planet.

This long pass to Charles is a pretty good example.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-videos/09000d5d8149ad07/Matt-Cassel-Highlight-WK-12-vs-Chargers-2009

In this throw, Charles had to come back to the ball, as did Chambers on the big play vs. the Steelers where he jacked up his shoulder. I'm sure it kills Cassel seeing the film that he came up short on these throws. So perhaps he's trying to give it a little more oomph in the last few games to get it there ... but because of the flatter trajectory, the receiver doesn't have time to run under it.

By comparison, here's Brady.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-videos/09000d5d8146cd1d/Tom-Brady-Highlight-WK-11-vs-Jets-2009

His throwing motion comes over the top more, allowing him to snap his wrist through the ball more and get better spin on the ball. Look how crisp that spiral is.

And just for kicks, I've included a picture of Peyton Manning's throwing motion.

http://smartfootball.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/15_slack.jpg

Chiefnj2
12-16-2009, 03:32 PM
I'll give you ALL NINE of those "potential" catches, and I'll give you an extremely generous 11 yards for each.

That raises his QB rating to a masterful 54.3

Even with the drops, and a generous amount of additional yardage, his performance still sucks.

I never said it didn't. His performance sucked. So did all the drops and incorrect routes.

okiedokieokoye
12-16-2009, 03:43 PM
Good. He should say all those things, just like Vermeil did when Trent led the league in INT's in his first year here. Then he should also do what Vermeil did and get him an offensive line to protect him so it doesn't look like they made a HUGE mistake in getting him.

The whole team sucks, so it would be more likely that Haley would go than Cassel, but neither of them are going anywhere for at least another couple of seasons. Cassel has shown that he can be a successful starting QB in the NFL, I don't care if it was in New England where he supposedly never had to overcome any adversity, or dropped passes because his receivers were perfect and had 2 1/2 minutes after each snap to throw.

Haley however, has not shown that he can be a successful Head Coach in the NFL. At this point, he's a worse coach than Cassel is QB.

Couldn't agree with you more.

SenselessChiefsFan
12-16-2009, 05:06 PM
Haley finally got something right. Don't get me wrong, Cassel needs to play better. But, the reality is that his WR's drop too many passes, and the defense sucks. He can't get into a rhythym because the WR's drop critical passes. Then, the defense gives up points like crazy and he puts all that on his back and tries to overcome it all.

Next year, at this time, I imagine most will be talking about how great of a year Cassel is having and how much better he will have gotten.

BigMeatballDave
12-16-2009, 05:19 PM
I don't think Haley wants Cassel. Pioli is forcing him on him.I wonder when Haley is gonna tell Cassel to take the diaper off?

BigMeatballDave
12-16-2009, 05:21 PM

Bring on Clausen!Clausen sux

Bane
12-16-2009, 05:23 PM
Clausen sux
Wait a year and break the bank for Jake Locker vs this crap.Clausen is a puss.

Fritz88
12-16-2009, 05:26 PM
no need to read the article, the replies are priceless..

“I thought Matt did some real good things in that game,”

Haley is a fucking idiot

Bane
12-16-2009, 05:27 PM
:LOL::bravo:

Sweet Daddy Hate
12-16-2009, 05:28 PM
"OMG MY DUMBASS QUARTERBACK DID SOME GOOD THINGS AND CHARTER TEH FUCKTARD CANOE ELEVENTY!!!!!@11111"

BigMeatballDave
12-16-2009, 05:32 PM
I like Haley, but this shit pisses me off. He benches Bradley for running shitty routes and praises the QB for throwing shitty passes.

Bane
12-16-2009, 05:35 PM
I like Haley, but this shit pisses me off. He benches Bradley for running shitty routes and praises the QB for throwing shitty passes.

Fukkn priceless.....ROFL

Bane
12-16-2009, 05:36 PM
"OMG MY DUMBASS QUARTERBACK DID SOME GOOD THINGS AND CHARTER TEH ****TARD CANOE ELEVENTY!!!!!@11111"

:jester: