PDA

View Full Version : Food and Drink What are you making?

Fire Me Boy!
12-17-2009, 05:01 PM
I have to admit, it's not my recipe. Totally stole this, but I never saw the recipe and made it from memory. It took me like four trips around the grocery to get everything because I kept forgetting stuff over in the produce section. :)

I'm guessing on some of these amounts.... I cook by look and taste.

Serves 2:

1 clove garlic, minced
3(?) turns olive oil
2-4 scallions, sliced
1 jalapeno, seeded or not, sliced thin
1/3 (?) pt. of grape or cherry tomatoes, halved
1/2 lb. raw shrimp, peeled and de-veined
6(?) fresh basil leaves, chiffonade
Angel hair pasta
White wine (couple splashes)
salt/pepper to season
Lemon

Boil salted water for pasta.

Heat oil over medium high heat. Saute garlic, scallions, and chile. If you like your tomatoes firmer, wait to add them. If you like them cooked down a little, add them now. Saute about 3 minutes.

Drop the pasta in the water.

Add shrimp and wine (and tomatoes if you want the firmer texture) and saute for 3 minutes.

Drain pasta, add to pan and toss with shrimp/sauce mixture. Top with chiffonade of basil and a good squeeze of lemon.

http://img13.imageshack.us/img13/2092/nonamejg.th.jpg (http://img13.imageshack.us/i/nonamejg.jpg/)

Jack
12-17-2009, 05:04 PM
What'd ya call it?

Demonpenz
12-17-2009, 05:08 PM
i am going to ryans buffet for xmaz

jiveturkey
12-17-2009, 05:10 PM
Turducken for us.

Stuffed with Cajun sausage and cornbread.

Fire Me Boy!
12-17-2009, 05:11 PM
What'd ya call it?

Shrimp Diablo Angelica?

No idea, the name above is a play on the angel hair pasta and spicy nature of the sauce.

Simply Red
12-17-2009, 05:13 PM
you should use iodized salt, just to freak everyone out.

Fire Me Boy!
12-17-2009, 05:23 PM
you should use iodized salt, just to freak everyone out.

ROFL

I actually used gray salt (Kosher in the water).

Simply Red
12-17-2009, 05:25 PM
ROFL

I actually used gray salt (Kosher in the water).

yeah, kosher is the way to go.

Fire Me Boy!
12-17-2009, 05:26 PM

Gray or fleur de sel is best for finishing, but normal everyday cooking it's always Kosher. Just felt like finishing with the gray salt today. Nice little treat, great flavor.

kstater
12-17-2009, 05:28 PM
Freshly killed duck breast. Fried.

Simply Red
Gray or fleur de sel is best for finishing, but normal everyday cooking it's always Kosher. Just felt like finishing with the gray salt today. Nice little treat, great flavor.

believe it or not, i never have used it.

Cannibal
I have to admit, it's not my recipe. Totally stole this, but I never saw the recipe and made it from memory. It took me like four trips around the grocery to get everything because I kept forgetting stuff over in the produce section. :)

Serves 2:

1 clove garlic, minced
3(?) turns olive oil
2-4 scallions, sliced
1/2 lb. shrimp
Angel hair pasta
salt/pepper to season
Lemon

Heat oil over medium high heat. Saute garlic, scallions, and chile. If you like your tomatoes firmer, wait to add them. If you like them cooked down a little, add them now. Saute about 3 minutes.

Add shrimp and wine (and tomatoes if you want the firmer texture) and saute for 3 minutes.

Drain pasta, add to pan and toss with shrimp/sauce mixture. Top with chiffonade of basil and a good squeeze of lemon.

http://img13.imageshack.us/img13/2092/nonamejg.th.jpg (http://img13.imageshack.us/i/nonamejg.jpg/)

That looks F'g delicious.

Fire Me Boy!
12-17-2009, 05:48 PM
That looks F'g delicious.

First time I've ever made it, and it is DEFINITELY going in the ol' repertoire. It was very tasty.

Simply Red
12-17-2009, 05:52 PM
First time I've ever made it, and it is DEFINITELY going in the ol' repertoire. It was very tasty.

do you have The Fresh Market, there? Their Parmesian is absolutely amazing.

Fire Me Boy!
12-17-2009, 06:37 PM
do you have The Fresh Market, there? Their Parmesian is absolutely amazing.

No market by that name here. I miss Whole Foods, really.

LaChapelle
12-17-2009, 06:57 PM
babies?

Fire Me Boy!
12-17-2009, 07:00 PM
babies?

Huh?

CHENZ A!
12-17-2009, 07:11 PM

Serves 2:

1 clove garlic, minced
3(?) turns olive oil
2-4 scallions, sliced
1/2 lb. shrimp
Angel hair pasta
salt/pepper to season
Lemon

Sounds great! I have made similar dishes before. Usually use crushed red pepper instead of jalapeno, but I'm sure I'd like it either way. Also could throw in some capers, and maybe a little of the lemon zest.

One question though, when you say scallions do you mean green onions? or do you mean shallots? I always get the two names confused. I would go with whatever the ones that are not green onions are called.

Fire Me Boy!
12-17-2009, 07:41 PM
Sounds great! I have made similar dishes before. Usually use crushed red pepper instead of jalapeno, but I'm sure I'd like it either way. Also could throw in some capers, and maybe a little of the lemon zest.

One question though, when you say scallions do you mean green onions? or do you mean shallots? I always get the two names confused. I would go with whatever the ones that are not green onions are called.

Green onions.

Green onions are scallions. Shallots are shallots.

Fire Me Boy!
12-17-2009, 07:42 PM

I'm not a big fan of capers, but a little zest would be good. I could also have used a little more lemon juice than I did, but it was very good.

sedated
12-17-2009, 08:01 PM
Looks like something I make all the time, but I've never used the jalapeno. I like using a marsala wine personally.

Speaking of shrimp, what is ChiefsPlanet opinion on raw vs cooked shrimp when cooking a dish? Is there a huge sacrifice in flavor to use pre-cooked? Its not an ingredient I typically use.

RJ
12-17-2009, 09:00 PM
I love shrimp and pasta dishes. I always keep frozen shrimp on hand for an easy dinner in a pinch. That looks like a good version.

Fire Me Boy!
12-17-2009, 09:08 PM
Looks like something I make all the time, but I've never used the jalapeno. I like using a marsala wine personally.

Speaking of shrimp, what is ChiefsPlanet opinion on raw vs cooked shrimp when cooking a dish? Is there a huge sacrifice in flavor to use pre-cooked? Its not an ingredient I typically use.

Don't use pre-cooked. Overcooked shrimp are awful, and the time it'll take to re-heat the shrimp will render it over-done.

sedated
12-17-2009, 09:09 PM
Don't use pre-cooked. Overcooked shrimp are awful, and the time it'll take to re-heat the shrimp will render it over-done.

so you used raw shrimp?

no one ever seems to specify.

Fire Me Boy!
12-17-2009, 09:11 PM
so you used raw shrimp?

Yes, raw, peeled, de-veined. I always assume raw if the shrimp requires any cooking. I'd only use pre-cooked in a cold dish.

RJ
12-17-2009, 09:20 PM
so you used raw shrimp?

I always keep a bag of raw, peeled, deveined with tail on in the freezer. 26-30 count works well for most recipes.

BigOlChiefsfan
12-18-2009, 08:00 AM
Quick FYI. For those who use mostly kosher salt or sea salt...stop at Walgreens and buy a bottle of kelp tablets. Many of us no longer use iodized salt, and we're not getting the iodine dose we need for thyroid function. They add that iodine to table salt for a reason. Kelp tablets are cheap, contain some essential minerals you don't get otherwise, and you might even find you have 'more energy' (which is just your thyroid getting what it needs).

Pioli Zombie
12-18-2009, 08:10 AM
A morning dookie.
Posted via Mobile Device

CHENZ A!
12-18-2009, 08:41 AM

No difference in flavor, only texture. Shrimp have such a short cook time anyway, so either way you shouldn't add them until the end. I made a dish that called for the sauce to simmer for 1.5 hrs and add the shrimp for 2 min. I used pre-cooked because they were on sale, and didn't notice a bit of difference in flavor.
Posted via Mobile Device

Dallas Chief
12-18-2009, 09:27 AM
Traditional Christmas Eve dinner that I make is seafood and sausage gumbo, crabcakes, giant shrimp cocktail, and plenty of Captain n' cokes. :)
On Christmas day we usally do ribeyes and baked potatoes. I am usually pretty turkeyed out by then...
Posted via Mobile Device

Saulbadguy
12-18-2009, 09:40 AM

Hey - cool it with the antisemetic remarks.

Fire Me Boy!
12-18-2009, 10:32 AM
Hey - cool it with the antisemetic remarks.

How is that ant-Semitic in any way? He said Kosher is the way to go... that seems PRO-Semitic to me.

Fire Me Boy!
12-18-2009, 10:33 AM
No difference in flavor, only texture. Shrimp have such a short cook time anyway, so either way you shouldn't add them until the end. I made a dish that called for the sauce to simmer for 1.5 hrs and add the shrimp for 2 min. I used pre-cooked because they were on sale, and didn't notice a bit of difference in flavor.
Posted via Mobile Device

Rubbery shrimp is gross.

Saulbadguy
12-18-2009, 10:38 AM
How is that ant-Semitic in any way? He said Kosher is the way to go... that seems PRO-Semitic to me.

ROFL

Simply Red
12-18-2009, 10:41 AM
Rubbery shrimp is gross.

I fully endorse this post.

Simply Red
12-18-2009, 10:42 AM

AP, ding-dong... :)

Fire Me Boy!
12-18-2009, 10:45 AM
AP, ding-dong... :)

I might have gotten that if you'd been talking about frying up some ****ing potato pancakes... some latkes.

It was a little obscure talking about Kosher salt. Sorry.

Simply Red
12-18-2009, 10:52 AM
I might have gotten that if you'd been talking about frying up some ****ing potato pancakes... some latkes.

It was a little obscure talking about Kosher salt. Sorry.

I've seen that lucky jew bastard in his office full of kosher-salt, spinning a dreidel.