PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Babb: Albert’s poor play has weighed heavily on the Chiefs

Tribal Warfare
12-18-2009, 12:12 AM
Albert’s poor play has weighed heavily on the Chiefs (http://www.kansascity.com/sports/chiefs/story/1637742.html)
By KENT BABB
The Kansas City Star

The thermal food bag is there every day, never far from Branden Albert’s locker. Inside it are his prepared meals — the low-calorie, smart foods that helped him lose nearly 40 pounds in less than six months before this season.

That much hasn’t changed. What has changed in the months after the weight loss is the outlook for Albert, the Chiefs’ left tackle, and the role his slimmer body — he is listed now at 316 pounds but has weighed as little as 305 this season — has played in what has been a disappointing second season. Nine sacks allowed in 11 games, a number so high that it is second in the NFL, behind only the 9 1/2 sacks allowed by Oakland’s Mario Henderson.

“A humbling experience,” Albert said of his 2009 season.

He entered this season having been showered in praise and all but assured of greatness. Albert was one of the Chiefs’ most promising young players, a first-round pick in 2008, and it seemed only a matter of time before he was selected to a Pro Bowl. He lost the weight because coach Todd Haley wanted his linemen to be quicker, and Albert became the poster child for what was possible if players just followed the plan.

With the thermal bag with him always, Albert hasn’t strayed. But without the extra girth to keep defenders another step or two away from quarterback Matt Cassel, Albert has been far less reliable. Haley said that’s the downside to the weight loss: A lighter player has to sometimes work harder to block pass rushers, instead of just taking up space. But Haley insisted this week that heavy linemen are limited, and a 340-pound Albert wouldn’t be of much use when asked to pull, as he was asked to do Sunday against Buffalo, one of the many new assignments that rely on quickness.

“We need guys who are athletic,” Haley said, “who can move the way we need them to move and execute what we need to get done.

“We want our guys to be in condition, and he’s been a great shining example of that aspect of it. But there is an adjustment period there.”

That period, which seems ongoing, has required Albert to pay more attention to details. His steps, hand placement and mental approach have been tested perhaps as never before. Albert had always been able to get by on being big and quick — and, the Chiefs believe, that was enough to overshadow the rough edges that have become visible since the weight loss.

Now that they’re exposed, Albert has had to learn some things the hard way. Haley said he still believes in Albert’s long-term potential, but the reality of undergoing such a shift has led to mistakes. In addition to the staggering number of sacks allowed, Albert also has been flagged for five illegal-procedure penalties and three holding calls. One of those procedure penalties negated a 15-yard gain Sunday against the Bills and forced the Chiefs to convert a fourth-down play.

Albert said the mistakes haven’t come because his body has failed him but rather because he hasn’t always passed the mental tests he now faces more regularly.

“The things that have gone wrong for me,” Albert said, “they weren’t physical. It’s all mental.

“Like I told people at the beginning of the season or before the season, I didn’t say I was going to be a Pro Bowl football player. I said I would strive for it, but most importantly I would strive to help my teammates; help our team win games. That was my main goal.”

So with all the facts considered, an important question emerges: If a heavier Albert was more effective, why force the man to play at a weight that, if it doesn’t create uncomfortable situations for Albert, certainly has done so for the Chiefs?

Haley maintained that the weight loss was the right move, and that it’ll pay off in due time for Kansas City. The coach said he expected Albert to adjust to his new body and train himself to rely more on all of his tools rather than just the single — and limiting — weapon of size.

“I believe strongly in some things, and that’s one of them,” Haley said. “I think that a player will be at his best when he’s in condition that we’re asking him to be in. You’re in the way and you’re heavier. But that’s not the way.

“He’s been up and down a little bit more than I would like, and I think he understands that. He just has to continue to be more and more consistent. … Branden has gotten more and more comfortable with what we’re asking him to do.”

But whether it’s right or wrong, Albert is now on a timetable to show that he’s up to the job for the long haul. Regardless of Haley’s hopes for Albert and the lineman’s commitment to the plan, the Chiefs cannot overlook the sacks and penalties.

With those mistakes in mind, Kansas City might be tempted this offseason with drafting or signing a left tackle, and discussions will be had on whether Albert — who plays for a coach and in a system that requires him to be at a certain weight, whether it’s a good fit for him or not — is the Chiefs’ long-term answer. From potential Pro Bowler to a player whose future is in question, that’s the burden Albert now carries around along with that thermal bag.

“I can’t worry about that,” he said. “You want to be a great player; you don’t want to just be another guy on the field. … I can say it has been a learning experience. Everything is not perfect. I’ve just got to keep moving on.”

DeezNutz
12-18-2009, 12:14 AM
305. :shake:

TRR
12-18-2009, 12:26 AM
Albert will be fine. He's hit the sophmore slump like many players before him. A lot of rookie LT's get by because nobody has tape on them. This year, everyone had tape on Branden Albert.

Albert is the least of KC's problem at this point.

FloridaMan88
12-18-2009, 12:26 AM
In related news, Jared Allen is good.

DaneMcCloud
12-18-2009, 12:38 AM
Haley's a fucking idiot.

Just one more example of square peg in a round hole.

That fucking guy won't be fired soon enough for me.

Fucking golf pussy.

B_Ambuehl
12-18-2009, 01:03 AM
This is an area where Haley seems to be talking out of his ass. Unless you've played football you can't fathom the impact that 40 lbs. one way or the other has on the ability to fend off people trying to run you over. There's a reason the avg lineman has gone up an average of 30 lbs. the last 15 years.

mcan
12-18-2009, 01:14 AM
Diets make you weaker. Enough said. After a year of being at this weight and putting back on some GOOD weight, he'll regain his strength and have a newfound quickness and he'll have worked on his footwork. Haley isn't my hero at this point, but I believe he's right on this one. Too many FAT linemen out there. Willie Roaf was 320lbs of solid muscle with perfect technique. Any aspiring LT in this league would do himself a favor to emulate that guy.

'Hamas' Jenkins
12-18-2009, 01:16 AM
Willie Roaf weighed a hell of a lot more than 320 lbs, and he wasn't solid muscle.

T-post Tom
12-18-2009, 01:21 AM
Todd, for fuck's sake, give the kid a donut.

Tribal Warfare
12-18-2009, 01:21 AM
Willie Roaf weighed a hell of a lot more than 320 lbs, and he wasn't solid muscle.

the man was a walking house he wasn't necessarily fat and he wasn't all muscle either. Willie was just one naturally big motherfucker at 340+.

58kcfan89
12-18-2009, 01:25 AM
Albert will be fine. He's hit the sophmore slump like many players before him. A lot of rookie LT's get by because nobody has tape on them. This year, everyone had tape on Branden Albert.

This is an area where Haley seems to be talking out of his ass. Unless you've played football you can't fathom the impact that 40 lbs. one way or the other has on the ability to fend off people trying to run you over. There's a reason the avg lineman has gone up an average of 30 lbs. the last 15 years.

These. I think Albert's going to be alright, from what I've seen he's played better over the last few games (I don't have stats/film, so correct me if I'm wrong). And I don't think you draft a LT in the first round twice in 3 years, regardless of the situation (the exception being that the draftee isn't on the team any more). He's obviously got a ton of potential and I'm still holding out hope that he can reach it. If he can, it'll go a long way toward the rebuild. I definitely think getting more talented guys at the 4 spots to the right of him will help a lot as well.

That being said, 40 pounds is a metric asston of weight, especially for a LT. I'm just hoping Haley didn't ruin Albert with this weight loss crap.

T-post Tom
12-18-2009, 01:30 AM
The Chiefs line hasn't gone far enough. They need to lose about another 200+ pounds of useless fat: Bill Muir.

Mecca
12-18-2009, 01:31 AM
I think Todd Haley is a complete idiot to think weight loss and conditioning go hand in hand...there are plenty of outstanding players in the league that are huge that are also very well conditioned.

Phobia
12-18-2009, 01:34 AM

I agree. Been saying this for about 10 weeks. He's not the problem.

splatbass
12-18-2009, 01:48 AM
I think Todd Haley is a complete idiot to think weight loss and conditioning go hand in hand...there are plenty of outstanding players in the league that are huge that are also very well conditioned.

He wasn't talking about condition, he was talking about quickness. He wants someone that can pull. The problem is that a bigger guy can get away with poor technique, after losing the weight that poor technique has been exposed. He just needs to learn the right way to do it instead of just relying on size like he did before.

I would think a draft expert like you would know this. :)

Mecca
12-18-2009, 01:49 AM
I think having your LT be 300lbs is asking for problems...look around the league how many teams start guys that light?

mcan
12-18-2009, 03:16 AM
the man was a walking house he wasn't necessarily fat and he wasn't all muscle either. Willie was just one naturally big mother****er at 340+.

willie roaf weight

google that.

mcan
12-18-2009, 03:24 AM
http://www.nytimes.com/2004/09/05/sports/football/05chiefs.html?_r=1&pagewanted=all&position=

Or better, read this article about the Chiefs AMAZING line. It was built off of this same philosophy. Strong, Lean, Athletic, Powerful, Disciplined. Each member of the line had be able to pull. When Vermeil got here, he got rid of all the fat linemen and replaced them with guys that fit what he wanted to do. Look at the pic.

michaelj_58
12-18-2009, 04:11 AM
so know they will ship him out and he will play for broncos,put on a few pounds and be a hall of famer. thats how are luck has been going. stupid haley, and you dont take points off the board by going for it on fourth down on the two yard line with a bootleg. what if we made a field goal there. we could of kicked a field goal at the end of regulaton and won in overtime. shottenheimer would have kicked a field goal there.YOU DONT TAKE POINTS OFF THE BOARD HALEY,AND YOU DONT FAKE PUNT ON YOUR OWN 30 YARD LINE YOU STUPID IDIOT

tyton75
12-18-2009, 06:20 AM
Willie was one of those guy who was still very athletic with some weight on... he had more fat on him than Albert does at this point.

IMO.. Albert could stand to put on 15-20lbs and still be able to pull... you can be heavier and still be "in shape"

SenselessChiefsFan
12-18-2009, 06:30 AM
This is stupidity at it's finest. Albert isn't the kind of player that Haley is looking for. Haley needs to adapt the scheme to the player OR replace him.

Now, considering that Albert is a good prospect, I would prefer that Haley change the scheme a little.

bevischief
12-18-2009, 06:42 AM
It doesnt help he is surrounded by subpar talent either.

beach tribe
12-18-2009, 06:45 AM
http://www.nytimes.com/2004/09/05/sports/football/05chiefs.html?_r=1&pagewanted=all&position=

Or better, read this article about the Chiefs AMAZING line. It was built off of this same philosophy. Strong, Lean, Athletic, Powerful, Disciplined. Each member of the line had be able to pull. When Vermeil got here, he got rid of all the fat linemen and replaced them with guys that fit what he wanted to do. Look at the pic.

:clap:

Red Dawg
12-18-2009, 07:14 AM
Haley's a ****ing idiot.

That ****ing guy won't be fired soon enough for me.

****ing golf pussy.

Geeat insight. You should be a fugging coach. Tool!

BigRedChief
12-18-2009, 07:21 AM
I went to the game last week and got to watch albert from the 7th row. He's doing a good job. Not perfect, but he is the solution at LT. We have way more pressing needs than a new LT.

Fire Me Boy!
12-18-2009, 07:40 AM

Would anyone other than me KILL to have Will Shields and John Welbourne back? I know Welbourne was the weak link in that line, but damn, he was a lot better than any of the guys we've trotted out at RT since he left.

Nixhex
12-18-2009, 08:11 AM
Perhaps Albert having to learn better technique to be successful will help him in the long run. Without the weight loss Albert may have continued to lean on his size to be successful and not learned technique as much. With his experience this year Haley should let him gain a few lbs back for next season and see what he can do. I also agree that you can be a little overweight and still be in good "condition".

Postivie spin^^

Pioli Zombie
12-18-2009, 08:12 AM
Would anyone other than me KILL to have Will Shields and John Welbourne back? I know Welbourne was the weak link in that line, but damn, he was a lot better than any of the guys we've trotted out at RT since he left.
Has the Mrs come back yet? hope so Christmas time and all.
Posted via Mobile Device

Chiefnj2
12-18-2009, 08:14 AM
Albert also benefited last year by playing in the pistol formation.

chris
12-18-2009, 08:16 AM
Haley's a ****ing idiot.

That ****ing guy won't be fired soon enough for me.

****ing golf pussy.

So how do you REALLY feel about Haley?? :)

ForeverChiefs58
12-18-2009, 08:19 AM
Anyone watch the Alabama game where they put Terrrance Cody DT at FB to lead block like Ditka with fridge perry. My point is those coaches didn't find a problem getting a fat guy to pull.

DeezNutz
12-18-2009, 08:31 AM
****ing golf pussy.

Where? /Tiger/

DeezNutz
12-18-2009, 08:32 AM
willie roaf weight

google that.

No chance that Roaf was only 320 lbs.

Chiefnj2
12-18-2009, 08:42 AM
“The things that have gone wrong for me,” Albert said, “they weren’t physical. It’s all mental."

- Is this a case of Albert not wanting to say something bad about Haley's approach, or does he really think his mistakes/problems are unrelated to losing weight?

OnTheWarpath15
12-18-2009, 08:42 AM
Albert's poor play has weighed heavily on Chiefs.

Haley doesn't Consider Cassel among Chief's shortcomings.

Who's coaching this team, Stevie fucking Wonder?

Bane
12-18-2009, 08:47 AM
Albert's poor play has weighed heavily on Chiefs.

Haley doesn't Consider Cassel among Chief's shortcomings.

Who's coaching this team, Stevie ****ing Wonder?

I was thinking maybe he needs his eyes checked.:D

Tribal Warfare
12-18-2009, 08:47 AM
No chance that Roaf was only 320 lbs.

It's like saying Reggie White always played at 290 throughout his career, I saw that dude up close on Lambeau Field and he was more like 320 to 330. Hell, Eric Williams didn't look any bigger than Reggie when they faced off during games.

Bwana
12-18-2009, 08:52 AM
Albert is the least of our player issues right now. I have no doubt he will be just fine.

Brock
12-18-2009, 09:24 AM
This is idiotic.

Mr. Kotter
12-18-2009, 09:41 AM
Albert is having trouble adjusting to his new body. Either he'll make the adjustment, or he'll quite likely go back to what used to work for him. One of the two. End of story.

There are a helluva of a lot more troubling and relevant stories about the Chiefs to be written than this sing-songy piece of crap.

:rolleyes:

dtrain
12-18-2009, 09:54 AM
This is stupidity at it's finest. Albert isn't the kind of player that Haley is looking for. Haley needs to adapt the scheme to the player OR replace him.

Now, considering that Albert is a good prospect, I would prefer that Haley change the scheme a little.

That is the true sign of a good coach. You adapt to what you have not make them adapt to you!

Chiefnj2
12-18-2009, 10:06 AM
Albert was 315lbs at the combine. He can't deal with a loss of 10lbs?

Demonpenz
12-18-2009, 10:07 AM
alberts fine, sometimes cassel moseys to the left or right when he should step up saw that last week when i went to the game. Also cassel gives 1 mili second look to the middle of the field and throws an our route

ModSocks
12-18-2009, 10:18 AM
I dont see why people are bitching about Albert losing weight. I thought his game was suppose to be his agility. Wasn't that the hype about him coming out of the draft?

"oh, yeah he should be a LT in the NFL and not an LG because he has quick feet and can pull, blah blah blah"

So what is the problem with refining that aspect of his game? Albert is exactly what Haley wants in a LT. And vs Buffalo, we witnessed Albert doing a decent job of pulling. I agree with Haley on this one, and Albert isn't going anywhere except for MAYBE LG. People are blowing shit out or proportion.

Albert will start packing on Muscle mass. With the forced weight loss, Albert probably was not in good condition at the begining of the season. He will be at the start of next season.

Albert has all the physical ability to be a great LT. He will add muscle and strengthen his core. He will improve his technique. And he will be fine. Lets focus on the rest of the team and give Albert some damn time to grow.

Mr. Laz
12-18-2009, 10:21 AM
it would of been smarter to have Albert lose the weight gradually over time.

10lbs before the season started
10lbs towards the end of the season
10lbs next offseason

btw albert is only down to 316 now so he's only lost 15lbs from last year.

DaneMcCloud
12-18-2009, 10:27 AM

Lick my taint, moron

Brock
12-18-2009, 10:28 AM

Right, it ranks right up there with your critiques of Bowe.

DaneMcCloud
12-18-2009, 10:30 AM
I dont see why people are bitching about Albert losing weight. I thought his game was suppose to be his agility. Wasn't that the hype about him coming out of the draft?

"oh, yeah he should be a LT in the NFL and not an LG because he has quick feet and can pull, blah blah blah"

So what is the problem with refining that aspect of his game? Albert is exactly what Haley wants in a LT. And vs Buffalo, we witnessed Albert doing a decent job of pulling. I agree with Haley on this one, and Albert isn't going anywhere except for MAYBE LG. People are blowing shit out or proportion.

Albert will start packing on Muscle mass. With the forced weight loss, Albert probably was not in good condition at the begining of the season. He will be at the start of next season.

Albert has all the physical ability to be a great LT. He will add muscle and strengthen his core. He will improve his technique. And he will be fine. Lets focus on the rest of the team and give Albert some damn time to grow.

Albert is NOT an NFL left guard. He doesn't have the upper or lower body strength to play the guard position.

Albert plays well space and will be just fine at left tackle.

If someone would get off his ass and stop nitpicking.

Fire Me Boy!
12-18-2009, 10:30 AM
Has the Mrs come back yet? hope so Christmas time and all.
Posted via Mobile Device

Isn't gone yet. Leaves in February.

DaneMcCloud
12-18-2009, 10:59 AM
Right, it ranks right up there with your critiques of Bowe.

Besides that, I've only been detailing Albert's struggles in depth since Training Camp. I bet there's anywhere between 25-50 such posts.

HemiEd
12-18-2009, 11:11 AM

It would be nice to have Casey back on this team.

L.A. Chieffan
12-18-2009, 11:15 AM
Haley has every right to decide what his players weigh. if he wants his lineman to weigh 200 lbs because theyll be better in pulls than fuck it, he's the coach and they better start dragging around thermal bags everywhere. lazy ass football players, jesus.

L.A. Chieffan
12-18-2009, 11:17 AM
oh, not to mention they all have weight clasues built into their contracts that haley can enforce whenver he sees fit so they better lose their goddamn weight if they wanna keep playing for haley

L.A. Chieffan
12-18-2009, 11:18 AM
and if they dont do it they be poor examples too and this team is gonna be hardasses, not a bunch of candyasses like with Herm. its all about changing the culture people

Chiefnj2
12-18-2009, 11:20 AM
I finally found a combine article regarding his weigh in: "Branden Albert was the first person to weigh in and get interviewed at the Combine. Branden Albert interviewed well and weighed in at 309 lbs. and 6′5" 1/2."

What's wrong with Haley wanting Albert to be right around the same weight he was in college and at the combine?

Coogs
12-18-2009, 11:20 AM
Haley has every right to decide what his players weigh. if he wants his lineman to weigh 200 lbs because theyll be better in pulls than fuck it, he's the coach and they better start dragging around thermal bags everywhere. lazy ass football players, jesus.

It would be interesting to see the trade off on number of pulling situations vs number of strength (run)/pass protection situations. I would think the latter would be far greater than the former for the tackle position.

HypnotizedMonkey
12-18-2009, 11:30 AM
Branden gon' be okayy.

HemiEd
12-18-2009, 11:37 AM
I finally found a combine article regarding his weigh in: "Branden Albert was the first person to weigh in and get interviewed at the Combine. Branden Albert interviewed well and weighed in at 309 lbs. and 6′5" 1/2."

What's wrong with Haley wanting Albert to be right around the same weight he was in college and at the combine?

Not a damn thing, but then we wouldn't have all this drama.

DaneMcCloud
12-18-2009, 11:37 AM

For one, he was two years younger. Albert's still young and his body still maturing.

Secondly, I'm sure he worked his ass off in terms of cardio to be prepared for the NFL draft. I highly doubt that was his "natural" weight, much like a boxer that has to make weight.

Lastly, Albert played incredibly well at the heavier weight as an NFL rookie.

Why mess with a good thing?

BigChiefFan
12-18-2009, 11:38 AM
“The things that have gone wrong for me,” Albert said, “they weren’t physical. It’s all mental.

Albert gets it, why can't some of you?

The weight loss is a good thing, unless you prefer, undisciplined fat slobs lining up on the O-Line. This story has taken a mole hill and turned into a mountain. Albert was out of shape, asking him to get into shape isn't absurd, quite the contrary.

DaneMcCloud
12-18-2009, 11:45 AM

Albert gets it, why can't some of you?

The weight loss is a good thing, unless you prefer, undisciplined fat slobs lining up on the O-Line. This story has taken a mole hill and turned into a mountain. Albert was out of shape, asking him to get into shape isn't absurd, quite the contrary.

Albert was not out of shape.

He wasn't at the playing weight that his new coach wanted.

He had issues with stamina and strength after the initial weight. Bloodwork was even performed. Contrary to popular opinion around here, the coaches couldn't give a shit about the players. They demanded Albert lose the weight quickly and he did. Unfortunately, it had adverse side effects.

When you couple that with an entirely new zone blocking scheme, it's completely understandable that he's struggled.

And furthermore, of COURSE it's mental: He had lost an enormous amount of weight in a short period of time, which damaged his confidence because of the initial loss of strength AND he had to actually THINK while on the field due to the new scheme.

I've been saying these very same things since Training Camp. At this point in time, as I predicted, it's a non-issue.

Albert will be FINE.

LaChapelle
12-18-2009, 11:50 AM
This turned into a fluff piece

L.A. Chieffan
12-18-2009, 11:52 AM

Out of shape according to who? Haley. Thats right bitches, HALEY RUNS THE MOTHERFUCKING SHOW AND YOU Y'ALL BETTER GET USED TO IT

Amnorix
12-18-2009, 12:47 PM
I won't speak to Albert, in particular, but the Patriots have this theory as well. No offensive lineman is muchmore than 305-310, except maybe the nwe guy, Vollmer, who is crazy athletic.

It's a pulling, trapping, quicker offensive line, and is obviously the best screen-running OL in the NFL over the last decade, in part because it doesn't have teh 335 OL that some teams do.

That said, it's not so hot on power rushing techniques for equally obvious reasons.

Willie Lanier
12-18-2009, 03:18 PM
Secondly, I'm sure he worked his ass off in terms of cardio to be prepared for the NFL draft. I highly doubt that was his "natural" weight, much like a boxer that has to make weight.

Lastly, Albert played incredibly well at the heavier weight as an NFL rookie.

Why mess with a good thing?

I can't argue that he exceeded expectations as a rookie especially given his position change.

But if his dropping weight as a (failed) experiment greatly increased his overall knowledge and instinctive technique, I see nothing wrong with taking a good player out of his comfort zone in an attempt to make him great.

I'm all for messing with a good thing if it can take him to another level; and I don't believe one unsuccessful season will cripple him permenantly as some fear.

Stack ten pounds back on Branden and he'll regain that impressive energy that wowed us last year.

Now if Haley doesn't allow him the opportunity to return to a more natural weight once his technique is refined, then I'll begin to worry

Chiefnj2
12-18-2009, 03:31 PM

So, he worked his ass off for the combine so he could show he was fast, agile, had great footwork and sell himself as a top prospect, but it's unfair for the Chiefs to ask that he try to play at the same weight?

I can't help but think that playing in the pistol helped hide a lot of his flaws.

DaneMcCloud
12-18-2009, 03:32 PM
So, he worked his ass off for the combine so he could show he was fast, agile, had great footwork and sell himself as a top prospect, but it's unfair for the Chiefs to ask that he try to play at the same weight?

Did I state that it was "unfair"?

Bob Dole
12-18-2009, 03:48 PM
it would of been smarter to have Albert lose the weight gradually over time.

10lbs before the season started
10lbs towards the end of the season
10lbs next offseason

btw albert is only down to 316 now so he's only lost 15lbs from last year.

Or better yet, actually wait and see if he could do what they wanted him to do and THEN decide whether losing weight was needed.

Willie Lanier
12-18-2009, 03:53 PM
I also want to add I'm not attempting to support Haley in this instance, because I have no way of knowing his actual intent or future plans for Branden.

I'm simply defending the potential upside of the method (taking a good player out of their comfort zone in an effort to encourage said player to break through illusionary ceilings by improving fundamentals) in the long haul if properly executed.

ChiefsCountry
12-18-2009, 04:15 PM
Albert looks like a wrestler who has lost alot of weight and is wrestling at a new weight class. It takes alot out of you physically to perform.

InChiefsHeaven
12-18-2009, 04:50 PM
God, this season just fucking sucks stanky baows...

Mr. Laz
12-18-2009, 05:58 PM
Or better yet, actually wait and see if he could do what they wanted him to do and THEN decide whether losing weight was needed.True ... but Haley was anxious to show what a bad ass coach he was so he couldn't do that.