PDA

View Full Version : KU QB controversy?

SDChiefs
12-18-2009, 06:15 PM
Just looking for a consenus of the planet. Who would you rather have at QB, given the chance.

Clausen

Locker

Cassel

Or other (please list)

Poll to follow....

Mr. Laz
12-18-2009, 06:18 PM
I enjoy losing. Lets stick with Cassel

stupid ass poll ... why even make it if you are gonna just fuck it up with this?

SDChiefs
12-18-2009, 06:19 PM
stupid ass poll ... why even make it if you are gonna just **** it up with this?

So I take it your choice is Cassel?

Mr. Laz
12-18-2009, 06:20 PM
So I take it your choice is Cassel?
no ... but since you basically removed that option for everyone the poll is a big FAIL.

OnTheWarpath15
12-18-2009, 06:21 PM
What's the point?

People will just flip-flop anyway.

No one wanted any part of Cassel this time last year, but the minute we trade for him, people started flopping.

SDChiefs
12-18-2009, 06:22 PM
no ... but since you basically removed that option for everyone the poll is a big FAIL.

I didn't remove the option. I assure you its still up there. Click on it and you will see.

BigMeatballDave
12-18-2009, 06:22 PM
Clausen and Locker are complete crap compared to Stafford/Sanchez

SDChiefs
12-18-2009, 06:24 PM

Well they are not really an option at this point. I don't know much about either of them so I am trying to get others opinions on it.

BigMeatballDave
12-18-2009, 06:27 PM
What's the point?

No one wanted any part of Cassel this time last year, but the minute we trade for him, people started flopping.Not really. Like myself, the deal had been made and I was not gonna bitch about it because we were gonna be stuck with him for atleast 2 seasons. If the Chiefs sign/trade for a new player, I will support them. Of course now, I'm off Cassels bandwagon.

boogblaster
12-18-2009, 06:43 PM
Cassel needs to improve ... why the long-term signing I'll never know ....

Brock
12-18-2009, 06:44 PM
Locker isn't really an option. FAIL

L.A. Chieffan
12-18-2009, 06:46 PM
there is no fucking way pioli is giving up on his boy cassel

BigMeatballDave
12-18-2009, 06:51 PM
there is no fucking way pioli is giving up on his boy casselI just hope that if Matt sucks this bad next season, that Pioli will admit its not working and find another QB. Epic FAIL.

OnTheWarpath15
12-18-2009, 06:54 PM
I just hope that if Matt sucks this bad next season, that Pioli will admit its not working and find another QB. Epic FAIL.

I'm calling it now:

He'll very, very marginally improve, and we'll be subjected to another year.

And all of his defenders will say, "see, he just needed more talent around him."

I'll be shocked if the guy ever wins a playoff game, much less the SB, which is the expectation for a franchise QB.

SDChiefs
12-18-2009, 06:57 PM
there is no ****ing way pioli is giving up on his boy cassel

This is hypothetical, if you had your choice. Not what you think will transpire.

BigMeatballDave
12-18-2009, 07:05 PM
And all of his defenders will say, "see, he just needed more talent around him."

This was me earlier in the season. Then I started thinking, what are the odds we could get two receivers with the talent level of Welker/Moss?

Lzen
12-18-2009, 07:07 PM
I didn't remove the option. I assure you its still up there. Click on it and you will see.

I think what he was saying is that since you added your comments about Cassel (basically meaning that if one were to choose that, they must like losing) to that option, you might as well have not even put it in there.

Also, why include Locker? Didn't he say he was going back to school?

Lastly, WTH did you put a KU icon on this poll? This has nothing to do with KU.

Thread and poll FAIL!

Kyle DeLexus
12-18-2009, 07:07 PM
I voted Locker, but that's because I'm expecting him to continue to grow and feel he'll be an elite prospect next year.

sedated
12-18-2009, 07:08 PM
Cassel needs to improve ... why the long-term signing I'll never know ....

its not rocket science, so I don't know why this question keeps getting thrown around. they signed him because it costs less for 2 years under the long-term deal than it would have with 2 years under the franchise tag. If he doesn't work after 2 years, we look elsewhere and have a decent backup, or cut his ass with a minor cap hit.

Lzen
12-18-2009, 07:11 PM
its not rocket science, so I don't know why this question keeps getting thrown around. they signed him because it costs less for 2 years under the long-term deal than it would have with 2 years under the franchise tag. If he doesn't work after 2 years, we look elsewhere and have a decent backup, or cut his ass with a minor cap hit.

2 years? I thought his contract was 5 years. What was the signing bonus? How much would the cap hit be if we cut him after 2 years? Serious questions. Not joking. I didn't really follow the details when he was signed.

sedated
12-18-2009, 07:12 PM
this is the dumbest poll ever made. ONE guy available this year , a guy available next year, and a personal idiotic comment about our current QB that completely nullifies that choice.

what about Bradford? or the other QBs available this year.

Lzen
12-18-2009, 07:13 PM
This was me earlier in the season. Then I started thinking, what are the odds we could get two receivers with the talent level of Welker/Moss?

I don't think anyone ever expected that to happen. I found myself wondering if the guy was truly a good QB, how much will that sieve of an Oline shatter his confidence. I'm hoping that it hasn't happened but it sure looks that way.

sedated
12-18-2009, 07:17 PM
2 years? I thought his contract was 5 years. What was the signing bonus? How much would the cap hit be if we cut him after 2 years? Serious questions. Not joking. I didn't really follow the details when he was signed.

(Im sure CP will correct me if I'm wrong)

His signing bonus was $30 mil. The franchise tag was around $17 (?) this year, and was likely to go up next year.

We give him the bonus and a high salary the first two years, when we are rebuilding and don't need the money for big free agent contracts. Then the 3rd-5th years his salary is dirt cheap. He can be cut, or benched.

Kyle DeLexus
12-18-2009, 07:29 PM
(Im sure CP will correct me if I'm wrong)

His signing bonus was $30 mil. The franchise tag was around $17 (?) this year, and was likely to go up next year.

We give him the bonus and a high salary the first two years, when we are rebuilding and don't need the money for big free agent contracts. Then the 3rd-5th years his salary is dirt cheap. He can be cut, or benched.

Quote from when his contract was first worked....he's making $15 mill this season.

What this also means is that Cassel will be paid at least $25.5 million over years two and three of his contract. Bottomline? Here's here for at least three years.

They frontloaded the contract for the first 3 years, I still haven't found all the details though.

Mr. Flopnuts
12-18-2009, 07:30 PM

We'll see about that...........

Mr. Flopnuts
12-18-2009, 07:32 PM
I voted Locker, but that's because I'm expecting him to continue to grow and feel he'll be an elite prospect next year.

I'm not voting for this very reason. Next year at this time the QB situation will become a lot more clear in KC. For a lot of people it already is, but nothing is going to happen until next year at the earliest. I'm just going to sit here and cross my fingers while hoping the Sun and the Moon collide.

Kyle DeLexus
12-18-2009, 07:39 PM
I'm not voting for this very reason. Next year at this time the QB situation will become a lot more clear in KC. For a lot of people it already is, but nothing is going to happen until next year at the earliest. I'm just going to sit here and cross my fingers while hoping the Sun and the Moon collide.
It might work out well for you.

7/14/2009: Signed a six-year, $63 million contract. The deal includes $28 million guaranteed and $40.5 million in the first three seasons. 2009: Under Contract, 2010: Under Contract, 2011: Under Contract (+ $7.5 million option bonus), 2012-2014: Under Contract, 2015: Free Agent

If Cassel plays as bad next year that $7.5 mill option bonus won't look all that appealing and might make them cut their losses.

LaChapelle
12-18-2009, 07:46 PM
Locker didn't get a first-round grade from Advisory Committee

Posted by Mike Florio on December 18, 2009 8:25 PM ET

For those of you who admire the dedication and/or question the sanity of Washington quarterback Jake Locker for deciding not to enter the NFL draft in what could be the last year of the big-money windfalls at the top of the pecking order, the decision to stay in school isn't as honorable and/or stupid as previously believed.

As pointed out in the Associated Press article regarding Locker's decision not to forgo his final season of college eligibility, Locker had submitted his name for consideration to the NFL Collegiate Advisory Committee, which estimates where a player might be drafted.

Despite a proclamation by ESPN's Todd McShay that Locker would/should/could be the first overall pick, a league source tells us that Locker didn't receive a first-round grade from the Advisory Committee.

The source concedes that Locker might have still be drafted in round one given the value of the position, but the source insists that McShay was flat wrong in his assessment of Locker.

"That's the problem," the source opined. "McShay is clueless. Up until three weeks before the 2008 draft, he said that [Kentucky's] Andre Woodson would be a first-round pick. He went in the sixth and is out of the league."

And the source explained that these opinions come not from the same-old rant by NFL scouts that guys like McShay and Mel Kiper have the luxury of popping off with no accountability as long as it all sounds good (the same-old rant has a significant amount of accuracy, by the way), but from concerns that guys like McShay do kids a disservice by pumping up their expectations.

"The problem I have with people like McShay saying stupid things is parents and others who 'advise' these kids think McShay knows what he is talking about," the source said. "And they believe him before they believe the Advisory Committee. Then, when the kids go a lot lower than projected they are pissed and/or depressed. . . . This stuff happens every year and we have to deal with the broken hearts because people who don't know what they are talking about put visions of grandeur into young players' heads."

This item isn't intended to be a shot at McShay. But if the Advisory Committee didn't give a first-round grade to the guy that McShay had at the top of his board, then something is wrong with this picture. And we're inclined to think the defect doesn't come from the Committee made up of folks who scout players for a living -- and whose ongoing careers depend not on their ability to talk smoothly about their views, but on whether enough of the players whom they believe to be good players become good players.

L.A. Chieffan
12-18-2009, 07:49 PM
locker is a homeless mans tebow

SPATCH
12-18-2009, 07:51 PM
This thread is pretty dumb considering Locker isn't even coming out... and anyone who would take Claussen over Cassel should never post again.

yeah actually this thread SUX ASS

BigMeatballDave
12-18-2009, 07:54 PM
We'll see about that...........Seriously. I'm not and never was a Stafford/Sanchez fanboy even tho I'd love to have either one of them. But I looked at video on Clausen and Locker and they just don't look nearly as good. I can't find any highlight video on Clausen where he's not in shotgun.

Psyko Tek
12-18-2009, 08:08 PM
QB myu ass
lets get a O line
and run the ball
three yards and a cloud of dust
k 4 yards

LJ just got 2.9 yards

Chiefspants
12-18-2009, 09:13 PM
http://www.freedomreeves.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/uncle_rico.jpg

None of the options listed can throw a pigskin a quarter mile.

DeezNutz
12-18-2009, 09:16 PM
Stafford is too risky, IMO. What has he really done at Auburn? Never won a big game, that's for damn sure.

DeezNutz
12-18-2009, 09:18 PM

Why guarantee year two? We controlled his rights, big deal if it costs a bit more. Better to be cautious and be correct than jump to conclusions and be wrong.

Pioli Zombie
12-18-2009, 09:42 PM

Sanchez compares to crap.
Posted via Mobile Device

cdcox
12-18-2009, 09:57 PM

Cassel wouldn't win a SB with Welker/Moss.

RealSNR
12-18-2009, 09:59 PM
Locker's staying an extra year, retarts

Pioli Zombie
12-18-2009, 10:01 PM
What a stupid ass comment. Brady hasn't won a Super Bowl with Moss and Welker. I guess he sucks.
Posted via Mobile Device

cdcox
12-18-2009, 10:20 PM
What a stupid ass comment. Brady hasn't won a Super Bowl with Moss and Welker. I guess he sucks.
Posted via Mobile Device

Brady was perhaps the key player for 3 championships. Manning is a coach on the field and the best regular season quarterback I've ever seen. Favre is a 3-time MVP. Drew Brees has completed 70% of his passes this season and is pushing almost 9 yards per attempt.

Do you honestly project there is any circumstance where Matt Cassel is going to accomplish anything approaching this level of performance? When you think of any possible future championship prospects, he is an "inspite of" quarterback, not a "because of" quarterback. You can see it plain as day from watch the games, he has neither the physical tools nor the field savvy to do anything extraordinary.

DeezNutz
12-18-2009, 10:20 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

You know another stupid ass comment? One that doesn't understand something, yet criticizes it nonetheless.

Tribal Warfare
12-19-2009, 12:02 AM
right now Croyle

sedated
12-19-2009, 12:40 AM
Why guarantee year two? We controlled his rights, big deal if it costs a bit more. Better to be cautious and be correct than jump to conclusions and be wrong.

that's the point, it didn't cost anything more to lock him up than it would have to go year by year, and involved less risk.

hindsight being 20/20, sure, he didn't play great this year. But what if he played great? What if he plays great next year? We got a good deal, I'm not bitching about it.

Sure-Oz
12-19-2009, 01:23 AM
I really want the guy to succeed, i just dont know if it will happen

DaWolf
12-19-2009, 01:28 AM

Pretty good bet considering Brady hasn't won one with them either...

DaWolf
12-19-2009, 01:33 AM
Right now I don't see how any of those choices are better than the other. Neither college guy could win in college consistently, and Cassel hasn't won in KC with a bad team.

How about we get an OC, a QB coach, and upgrade the OL and receivers first, because I don't see anyone listed there that's going to turn a team around by himself...

chiefsfan4life1978
12-19-2009, 01:41 AM
Who is Gaz?
Posted via Mobile Device

sedated
12-19-2009, 01:48 AM
How about we get an OC, a QB coach, and upgrade the OL and receivers first,

amen.

people seem to forget how bad trINT green was in his first year in KC.

suddenly we got Roaf and Kennison and a year under the system, and we were the #1 offense in the NFL.

Thig Lyfe
12-19-2009, 02:38 AM
Draft Reesing!

TrickyNicky
12-19-2009, 02:41 AM
Juice Williams.

Mr. Flopnuts
12-19-2009, 03:22 AM
Seriously. I'm not and never was a Stafford/Sanchez fanboy even tho I'd love to have either one of them. But I looked at video on Clausen and Locker and they just don't look nearly as good. I can't find any highlight video on Clausen where he's not in shotgun.

I'm not remotely saying Locker is as good as Sanchez or Stafford right now. But since he's going back to school for a guy that took him from untalked about, to this potential 1st round pick in 1 year is saying something. He has everything you're looking for in a QB. If he can be taught more of what he's picked up in this last year, sky's the limit for him. He very well could be the 1st pick in next year's draft if his junior/senior transition is anything like his junior/sophomore was.

Disclaimer: Mr. Flopnuts is a HUGE Jake Locker fan. Outside of the Chiefs, I'm a Husky football fan before any other team.

BigMeatballDave
12-19-2009, 07:02 AM
Draft Reesing!Do they allow dwarfs in the NFL?

RealSNR
12-19-2009, 08:58 AM
Juice Williams.This. ROFL

irishjayhawk
12-19-2009, 09:16 AM
What's the point?

No one wanted any part of Cassel this time last year, but the minute we trade for him, people started flopping.

I was a fan of bringing him in for a 1 year (as his contract was) stint to see what he's made of and as a stop gap.

I was not a fan of the 66 million we paid him without letting him earn it.

sedated
12-19-2009, 09:25 AM
Juice Williams.

*state of illinois face-palm*

Coogs
12-19-2009, 09:52 AM
I voted for Clausen. I voted for Clausen because I believe if you want to have the best chance to have a franchise QB, you have to take that risk in the top of the first round. And yes, I know all about the QB greats of all time that have been drafted in later rounds, and all about the flops that have been drafted in the top 5 of the draft. But I still believe you have to roll the dice and take a chance when the opportunity arises.

We have had opportunity the past two years to do this, and have declined on Ryan, Stafford, and Sanchez. Yes we would have had to traded up to get two of those three guys, but at the time trade options were available. And some teams do trade up to get the guys they want to be their QB for 15 years or so.

I also believe you have to have great O-lines and D-lines and all of that stuff as well. But IMO, when you have the chance to grab at a potential franchise QB you do it. You can always work on the lines and other positions in later rounds or future drafts.

Let the QB sit for a year or so why that piece of the puzzle is working it self out.

The problem with this theory is that you have to have some patience and look at long term vs look at the short term. Going this route means you first round pick may not provide any form of help for the team next season, and most here do not have the patience for our top draft pick to not make a difference right now.

And lastly, I went with Clausen over Locker based off of the theory that it is going to take the #1 pick in next years draft to get Locker. At some point, we are going to be out of the top of the draft. At that point in time, the top QB's will be pretty much off of the draft board by the time we pick, and we won't have the opportunity. And at those picks you can always get the linemen or other positions.

Take the QB when you have the chance. That arrow points at Clausen right now.

Rasputin
12-19-2009, 10:21 AM
I'd like to see Brodie get a shot at least one of our last three games. Not that he would be a franchise QB cuz of his injury history. I am impressed that he comes back from injury time and time again so I think he deserves a shot so we can evaluate him. If he turns out to be a better QB than Cassel then at least we would know, if he fails then at least we would know that too and move forward.

I think Brodie is better than Cassel. I think we made a huge mistake on giving Cassel all that money before proving himself and I think they should have had more compitition during preseason and not just give it too him.

& why don't we have a QB coach? who is developing our 2nd & 3rd string QBs? I'm sure that's why Haley is stuck on Cassel cuz that's who he has been working with all season and not get advise from a QB coach.

With out a QB coach our QBs are going to continue to fail IMO.

Sweet Daddy Hate
12-19-2009, 12:25 PM
stupid ass poll ... why even make it if you are gonna just fuck it up with this?

Bullshit. This is the greatest poll evah!

What's the point?

And Cassel's in the lead.ROFLROFLROFLROFLROFL

I vote "other" because 2011 will be a better year/class.

Sweet Daddy Hate
12-19-2009, 12:26 PM
Do they allow dwarfs in the NFL?

No but they allow groundskeepers, and Sodd has an intimate familiarity with Arrowhead.

Sweet Daddy Hate
12-19-2009, 12:31 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

Give up; your boy sucks. But you can have him back for the price of one 64oz. soda and a king size Snickers.

SDChiefs
12-22-2009, 06:24 PM
I think what he was saying is that since you added your comments about Cassel (basically meaning that if one were to choose that, they must like losing) to that option, you might as well have not even put it in there.

Also, why include Locker? Didn't he say he was going back to school?

Lastly, WTH did you put a KU icon on this poll? This has nothing to do with KU.

Thread and poll FAIL!

Apparently your comprehension is not good. I asked hypothetically who people would want. I put no paramaters on when a QB was coming out of college. Many have stated that they would wait and pick up Locker. Hard to understand?

SDChiefs
12-22-2009, 06:26 PM
this is the dumbest poll ever made. ONE guy available this year , a guy available next year, and a personal idiotic comment about our current QB that completely nullifies that choice.

what about Bradford? or the other QBs available this year.

Would be why there is a poll for "Other". I fail to see how hard this is to understand.