PDA

View Full Version : Life Mechanic help needed asap..please.

Dottefan
12-20-2009, 06:41 PM
Over the past couple of weeks my truck has started to backfire. I have a 98 2 door tahoe with a 5.7 liter vortec. Well Today, along with the master cylinder I went ahead and replaced the spark plugs and wires, and fuel regulator...but it still keeps back firing. It happens mostly when I take my foot of the gas, it starts to do it very rapidly, and its Idling ruff.. when I have my foot on the gas, it doesn't do it that much..it also acts like it wants to die on me every so often..I`m dropping it off at the shop tomorrow, not sure whats up with it..I `m thinking the compression is off, or the fuel pump..I also noticed that I had a hole in my muffler, while I was bleeding the breaks maybe thats the reason? I dont know...and Ideas ?

Brock
12-20-2009, 06:45 PM
Probably not fuel pump. Sounds more like timing.

Dottefan
12-20-2009, 06:54 PM
Probably not fuel pump. Sounds more like timing.

Do you mean the timing belt? or is this something else ? and do you know how expensive this might be?

SAUTO
12-20-2009, 07:00 PM
Do you mean the timing belt? or is this something else ? and do you know how expensive this might be?

the hole in the muffler is probably just popping when you let off the gas and the unburned fuel gets there and ignites with the oxygen from the hole
Posted via Mobile Device

Simply Red
12-20-2009, 07:02 PM
Pinche Gringos

Bwana
12-20-2009, 07:03 PM
Fuel pump, vacuum line, coil, water in the gas, etc. Start with the cheap stuff and throw in a bottle of "Yellow heat" and check under the distributer cap for any condinsation. You didn't get the engine wet at any point in the last week or so, did you?

WilliamTheIrish
12-20-2009, 07:03 PM
I wondered why everybody was jumping under their tables in the Dotte. The ol' Tahoe backfire.

joemama
12-20-2009, 07:05 PM
Possibly spider injector.

Dottefan
12-20-2009, 07:06 PM
the hole in the muffler is probably just popping when you let off the gas and the unburned fuel gets there and ignites with the oxygen from the hole
Posted via Mobile Device

Would that cause it to Idle ruff also, and act like it is dying?

Simply Red
12-20-2009, 07:07 PM
Fuel pump, vacuum line, coil, water in the gas, etc. Start with the cheap stuff and throw in a bottle of "Yellow heat" and check under the distributer cap for any condinsation. You didn't get the engine wet at any point in the last week or so, did you?

yep, had that issue before with a Nissan 240 yrs ago. Yes to Yellow Heat.

Dottefan
12-20-2009, 07:08 PM

No water in the engine lol. I replaced the distributor cap today when I did the tune up and didn't see any water. It has new heads on it and a new intake manifold..but I did notice when I took the top of the fuel injector off that it was pretty dirty, didn't know if that was from the fuel modulator that I replaced being bad or not.

Dottefan
12-20-2009, 07:10 PM
I wondered why everybody was jumping under their tables in the Dotte. The ol' Tahoe backfire.

That would be funny if ...........If I didnt live in Johnson County. ;)

Bwana
12-20-2009, 07:12 PM
No water in the engine lol. I replaced the distributor cap today when I did the tune up and didn't see any water. It has new heads on it and a new intake manifold..but I did notice when I took the top of the fuel injector off that it was pretty dirty, didn't know if that was from the fuel modulator that I replaced being bad or not.

I would still go over to the store and invest in a $1.00 bottle of Heat. Get the Heat in the yellow bottle. One of my rigs was doing about the same thing last week and that cleared it right up. A little water in the gas will raise hell with the way it runs. It will only cost you $1.00 to find out.

Dottefan
12-20-2009, 07:14 PM
I would still go over to the store and invest in a $1.00 bottle of Heat. Get the Heat in the yellow bottle. One of my rigs was doing about the same thing last week and that cleared it right up. A little water in the gas will raise hell with the way it runs. It will only cost you $1.00 to find out.

Thanks..On my way right now.

Gonzo
12-20-2009, 07:59 PM
Those engines, (while great) are notorious for having the valve guide seals leak and go tits up. It doesn't sound like this is the case here but some of the symptoms are consistent. When you start it up, does blue smoke come out of the exhaust?
Posted via Mobile Device

Dottefan
12-20-2009, 08:02 PM
Those engines, (while great) are notorious for having the valve guide seals leak and go tits up. It doesn't sound like this is the case here but some of the symptoms are consistent. When you start it up, does blue smoke come out of the exhaust?
Posted via Mobile Device

No..I looked for that also.

Gonzo
12-20-2009, 08:07 PM
No..I looked for that also.

Well shit....

I'm thinking you have an ignition problem then. Likely a bad coil pack/distributor or your timing is screwed.
Posted via Mobile Device

PastorMikH
12-20-2009, 08:18 PM
...Sounds more like timing.

ditto

I'm wondering if the timing chain jumped a tooth or two.

Brock
12-20-2009, 08:19 PM
ditto

I'm wondering if the timing chain jumped a tooth or two.

I'm thinking more along the lines of it's not really out of time, but the 'puter thinks it is because of a haywire sensor or something.

Dottefan
12-20-2009, 08:21 PM
Well shit....

I'm thinking you have an ignition problem then. Likely a bad coil pack/distributor or your timing is screwed.
Posted via Mobile Device

Do you know how expensive that might be if its the timing? or a bad coil pack?

Brock
12-20-2009, 08:23 PM
Do you know how expensive that might be if its the timing? or a bad coil pack?

My suggestion is to go to autozone and get a code reading. (free) They'll tell you what the code means and what parts are likely to be bad, and how much those parts cost.

Dottefan
12-20-2009, 08:23 PM
I'm thinking more along the lines of it's not really out of time, but the 'puter thinks it is because of a haywire sensor or something.

I`m thinking the same thing...or at least my pockets are hoping its just that lol.

Dottefan
12-20-2009, 08:24 PM
My suggestion is to go to autozone and get a code reading. (free) They'll tell you what the code means and what parts are likely to be bad, and how much those parts cost.

First thing in the morning..thanks. I`m going to get some Yellow Jacket? or what ever its called also. Thanks for all the help fellas, greatly appreciated..

Bwana
12-20-2009, 08:55 PM
First thing in the morning..thanks. I`m going to get some Yellow Jacket? or what ever its called also. Thanks for all the help fellas, greatly appreciated..

Heat in the yellow bottle.

http://www.omahabiodiesel.net/images/heetyellow.JPG

IA_Chiefs_fan
12-20-2009, 09:35 PM
I would get the compression checked before you spend too much money on all the little things. Also a leak down test might be in order. Good luck either way.

Dottefan
12-21-2009, 04:29 PM
UPDATE.. Took my car to autozone this morning..10 codes popped up in the computer.lol..dropped it off at the shop today..Intake gasket was bad, and I had a vacum leak...total bill was $311.06..after dropping $225.00 the day before on tune up, brakes and fuel regulator..oh well, my truck should run like a champ..if I can afford gas this week lol.

Extra Point
12-21-2009, 04:38 PM
UPDATE.. Took my car to autozone this morning..10 codes popped up in the computer.lol..dropped it off at the shop today..Intake gasket was bad, and I had a vacum leak...total bill was $311.06..after dropping $225.00 the day before on tune up, brakes and fuel regulator..oh well, my truck should run like a champ..if I can afford gas this week lol.
Good for you! My bro's 98 Dakota was coughing and not wanting to keep running. Had to replace a cracked vacuum boot off the intake, and that was that!

Glad you're good to go. That old horse is worth it. Hopefully, it will keep you on the road for a good while.

Bwana
12-21-2009, 04:43 PM

Tisk tisk, that was one of the things I told you to look for no? Hey, at least your outfit should run like a champ now.

SAUTO
12-21-2009, 05:11 PM
Tisk tisk, that was one of the things I told you to look for no? Hey, at least your outfit should run like a champ now.

ROFL i came on here because i got the same unit with the intake gasket leaking and the upper plenum o ring around the injector plug in leaking vacuum. ran just like what you described. and that a pretty good price dotte

Phobia
12-21-2009, 05:18 PM
yep, had that issue before with a Nissan 240 yrs ago. Yes to Yellow Heat.

I don't believe Nissan has been around that long.

Simply Red
12-21-2009, 05:21 PM
I don't believe Nissan has been around that long.

nice catch,ROFL

Dottefan
12-21-2009, 06:26 PM
ROFL i came on here because i got the same unit with the intake gasket leaking and the upper plenum o ring around the injector plug in leaking vacuum. ran just like what you described. and that a pretty good price dotte

If I cant fix it..I take it to Able Automotive. I`ve taken my cars there for over 10 years..they always give good rates and do great work...I was actualy thinking of selling it but it only has 120,000 miles and its a 2 door tahoe..man its my baby..can`t let her go lol.

SAUTO
12-21-2009, 06:31 PM
If I cant fix it..I take it to Able Automotive. I`ve taken my cars there for over 10 years..they always give good rates and do great work...I was actualy thinking of selling it but it only has 120,000 miles and its a 2 door tahoe..man its my baby..can`t let her go lol.

ROFL in armourdale? i've known bob greiner my whole fucking life. if i had a dollar for every time he called me "young man" i would be a rich guy. my cousin DJ worked for years in his son's shop fixing torch heads.

Dottefan
12-21-2009, 08:50 PM
ROFL in armourdale? i've known bob greiner my whole ****ing life. if i had a dollar for every time he called me "young man" i would be a rich guy. my cousin DJ worked for years in his son's shop fixing torch heads.

ROFL..Yup..those boys do good work... I dont trust any else...

Able automotive"beep beep..somebody knows us ..lol.