PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Chiefs buzz: Grigsby exits Chiefs broadcast booth for final time

Tribal Warfare
12-20-2009, 11:28 PM
Chiefs buzz: Grigsby exits Chiefs broadcast booth for final time (http://www.kansascity.com/sports/chiefs/story/1642284.html)

Grigsby makes his exit

Longtime broadcaster Bill Grigsby, a Kansas City icon for six decades, completed his final contribution to the Chiefs broadcast on Sunday. He said he’s retiring after watching all but a handful of Chiefs games in the franchise’s history.

“Times change, you know?” Grigsby, 87, said before Kansas City’s home finale Sunday.

He has called Chiefs games since the team moved from Dallas in 1963, missing only eight, he estimated Sunday.

Grigsby also broadcast the first game at Allen Fieldhouse, the Chiefs’ only Super Bowl win and the first nationally broadcast Final Four.

Grigsby said he might spend his time writing or at The National, his home golf course where he also keeps an office. But he said he’d never be too far away from the Chiefs.

“This is always going to be in my blood,” he said. “This is like family.”

Succop in good company

Kicker Ryan Succop made the 20th and 21st field goals of his rookie season, tying Hall of Fame kicker Jan Stenerud’s rookie mark from 1967.

Small announced attendance

The Chiefs announced an attendance of 53,315. That’s the smallest announced crowd for a regular-season Chiefs game at Arrowhead Stadium since Dec. 13, 1992. The Chiefs announced a crowd of 52,208 for a game against New England in a heavy, cold rain.

In those days, the NFL announced turnstile count and not tickets sold, as it does now.

Big day for Cottam

Brad Cottam hasn’t played much this season, but he finally became part of the game plan Sunday. He caught four passes, matching his career high, for 62 yards.

He was upended after making one catch and landed on his head. Cottam left the game for a few plays but later returned.

“It is just a little sore, but I got back in there and was able to play,” he said.

“I don’t think it will be a big deal.”

Studebaker gets TD this time

After taking an interception 94 yards but failing to score in last month’s win over Pittsburgh, linebacker Andy Studebaker got his touchdown Sunday. He fell on a loose ball in the end zone in the second quarter.

The Browns were attempting a punt, but the snap hit the upback, Nick Sorensen, and deflected to the end zone. That’s where Studebaker jumped on it.

“I really didn’t see what happened with the snap, but the ball was free in the end zone, and it didn’t look like anyone knew where the ball was,” Studebaker said.

“People were slamming into each other, and the ball was there for me to take.”

Sweet Daddy Hate
12-21-2009, 04:46 AM
So long ol' Griggs, it was beeeeeeeeeeeeuitiful while it lasted.

Extra Point
12-21-2009, 05:06 AM
I'll never forget a loss to Denver, back in the late 80's, and I could tell that Grigs had been drinking heavily during the 4th quarter. I'm talking heavily drinking! He said it would take a lot more scotch to take the bad taste out of his mouth.

Ah, the good times, the bad times, he's been through all of them.

Grace and peace to you, Bill Grigsby! You're a good guy!

Fat Elvis
12-21-2009, 08:35 AM
You know the Chiefs suck when Grigsby gives up his season tickets....

Deberg_1990
12-21-2009, 09:38 AM
Pppppprrriiiccce. Chooooopppppppeeerrr!!
Posted via Mobile Device

Skip Towne
12-21-2009, 09:41 AM
Quitter

gblowfish
12-21-2009, 09:51 AM
I like Grigs. The ultimate homer. "Twelve degrees with a thirty mile an hour breeze from the north, beautiiiiiful day for football!"

Molitoth
12-21-2009, 09:56 AM
GAAAAAARRRRRROOOOOZZZZOOOOOOSSSSSS

THEEEE JAAAAAAZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

wazu
12-21-2009, 10:08 AM
A Kansas City classic. He will be missed.

DumbHillbillies
12-21-2009, 10:17 AM
Too bad he had to call that one for his last game. He should kick haley in the nuts as his last act before he leaves.

Sweet Daddy Hate
12-21-2009, 12:33 PM
I'll never forget a loss to Denver, back in the late 80's, and I could tell that Grigs had been drinking heavily during the 4th quarter. I'm talking heavily drinking! He said it would take a lot more scotch to take the bad taste out of his mouth.

LMAO That's awesome. I hate this whole PC era of sports. The old timers like Griggs and Harry Caray were fun to listen too, ESPECIALLY if your team was stinking up the joint.

Sweet Daddy Hate
12-21-2009, 12:34 PM
Too bad he had to call that one for his last game. He should kick haley in the nuts as his last act before he leaves.

Haley would just flip him off.