PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Chiefs: Ok, a DARKER Darkest Day

teedubya
12-22-2009, 12:41 AM
http://uponfurtherreview.kansascity.com/?q=node/1734

A Black Hole
On Friday, I made the argument that it was the darkest day in Chiefs history. Of course that was the day they made it official that the Chiefs would be blacked out after all these years of sell-outs and home field domination. It couldn’t get any worse, but … it did. And, it was, appropriately, on the Winter Solstice (the shortest – darkest - day of the year). Well, yes, that’s technically tomorrow, but since KC isn’t invited to play on MNF (duh), today is as close as they could get.

Not only was today the official blackout day, but the Chiefs lost one of saddest games in their 50 years… to a 2-11 team… at home. You know the deal. You watched the game… Uh, ok, you probably didn’t watch it and neither did I, but I found myself following every play on line and listening to the game on radio. It was almost equivalent to vegging in front of the tube. It was definitely more cerebral.

I will be doing an analysis this week (or soon) about which are the worst Chiefs teams over the years, but you can bet 2009 will challenge for the dishonor.

Obviously, you know the Chiefs allowed two kick-off returns for touchdowns – both over 100 yards. But, that was small potatoes compared to Jerome Harrison who had the third highest rushing total in NFL history – missing Adrian Peterson’s 296 yards by only 10. Jerome Harrison is your basic average running back. He had 301 yards in 2009 before this game and he almost doubled his total. And, the 301 was the highest of his four-year career. KC’s rushing defense will probably drop from 28th to 30th or worse. Their total defense will probably drop from 30th to (dare I say it?)… 33rd.

There just isn’t much to talk about. They allowed 269 return yards by Cribbs and 286 rushing yards by Harrison. Add another 131 yards rushing and passing. The result? An abysmal defense. Who’s to blame? Obviously, Carl. He raped the organization and left it talently bankrupt. But, that’s old news. Nevertheless, I’m putting up a back-fire against the inevitable Pioli/Haley bashes.

Were there some good things? Sure. Despite being behind two possessions, they caught up and took a two possession lead. Again, they fell behind two possessions and again they caught up. But, they lost!

Yes, Charles had a “great” game rushing (154 yards), but he was only 132 short of his counterpart. Yes, Chambers had some excellent catches for 114 yards, but that gets dwarfed by Cribbs’ exploits. Yes, Cassel had a 99.1 QB rating to Quinn’s 27.7, but … the Chiefs lost! Yes, KC had a net +2 on turnovers and 491 yards on offense (their best since 2006) and scored the most points they have put on the scoreboard since 2006, but (you guessed it), they lost. They lost one of the most embarrassing games in club history. They allowed 41 points to a 2-11 team at home! I’m not sure it’s possible to get worse than that!

I’m sorry I’m so negative, but what emotion is left?

I refuse to play the what-if game. What if the receivers hadn’t dropped eight (assuming the announcers are correct) passes? (KC entered the game worst in the NFL with 39 drops). What if Haley had not used two of his timeouts during the last Cleveland drive? (I consider it the right decision). What if the first quarter fumble had been overturned? (etc.)

The bottom line is that what-ifs and 50 cents will buy you a copy of tomorrow’s Star. By the way, it’ll be a fantastic edition. Everything you ever wanted to know.

The last time Kansas City scored 34 points and lost was 1998. The last time they allowed 40+ points in three of four games was 1983. They have now allowed 400+ yards 10 times in 2009 – a record number for the franchise.

I’m passing out clothes pins if you need one.

The one saving grace is that IMO, it really cannot get worse than this. Next year almost has to be better. Whether fans will wait another year in a lousy economy??? I don’t know. I guess we’ll find out. But, so ends a really, really bad home season which ended 1-7 and included two of the three worst home defeats in club history - and that doesn't even count losing to Buffalo and Cleveland.

If you are a glass half-fuller, feel free to offer me a drink. I'm very thirsty.

teedubya
12-22-2009, 12:44 AM
The Chiefs stupidity reminds me of this...

http://www.nastyhobbit.org/forum/animated_gifs/geronimo.gif

Goldmember
12-22-2009, 01:34 AM
I'm more interested in finding out what happened to that dog. Where do you guys get this shit??

BossChief
12-22-2009, 04:36 AM
These last few years have beaten every reminance of homer, that I used to have, into a coma... one that it may never escape from if these guys have anything to say about it.

I didnt go to a game this year for the first time since 2002, and I really wanted to get a bunch of good shots of the stadium before completion...I just cant stomach driving 5 hours each way, spending a bunch of money on a hotel, food, parking, etc...only to see my team get beat down.

If I ever see Carl Peterson again, I swear I am going to jail because Im gonna walk up to him and act like I want to shake his hand, once I get close Im gonna kick him square in the nuts!

Ill let him know it was from the Planet!

PhillyChiefFan
12-22-2009, 05:52 AM
If I ever see Carl Peterson again, I swear I am going to jail because Im gonna walk up to him and act like I want to shake his hand, once I get close Im gonna kick him square in the nuts!

:toast:

Lonewolf Ed
12-22-2009, 06:18 AM
These last few years have beaten every reminance of homer, that I used to have, into a coma... one that it may never escape from if these guys have anything to say about it.

I didnt go to a game this year for the first time since 2002, and I really wanted to get a bunch of good shots of the stadium before completion...I just cant stomach driving 5 hours each way, spending a bunch of money on a hotel, food, parking, etc...only to see my team get beat down.

Have someone get video of it and post it. I want to hear his deep booming voice go all high and squeaky.

bsp4444
12-22-2009, 08:29 AM
I'm sure bail will be covered by the rest of us.

Reerun_KC
12-22-2009, 08:30 AM
There have been plenty of darkest of dark days over the last 4 years... Sunday was nothing special...

Shit anyone forget Herm taking his team to Carolina a couple of years ago...

Dark Horse
12-22-2009, 08:38 AM
I'm more interested in finding out what happened to that dog. Where do you guys get this shit??

home movies

Extra Point
12-22-2009, 08:40 AM
Two things: The Winter Solstice was yesterday. The Star is 75c.

Let's not twist the knife of frustration into our temples. The blackout was necessary, and there will be more next season. Maybe Carl and Scott will see what elasticity of demand looks like.

HemiEd
12-22-2009, 09:36 AM
If you think that was bad, what is going to be like when LJ puts up 300 on his former team Sunday?
I don't think I will even watch it.

Toad
12-22-2009, 11:51 AM
That performance makes me wonder if there is a bottom to this black hole...

The Franchise
12-22-2009, 11:55 AM
The one saving grace is that IMO, it really cannot get worse than this. Next year almost has to be better.

And therein lies the problem. It can get worse. I've said this line many times before. After Herm was fired and Haley was hired......well shit it can't get worse than last year. Did we win more games? Yeah. But it still got worse. And can it get worse next year? Sure it can.....we can go 0-16.

CoMoChief
12-22-2009, 12:15 PM
The Chiefs stupidity reminds me of this...

http://www.nastyhobbit.org/forum/animated_gifs/geronimo.gif

Dumb dog just broke every bone in his body. ROFL

CoMoChief
12-22-2009, 12:35 PM
This team could win 11 games easily next season with next season's easy schedule if.........

- They sign NT Wilfork and OG Mankins. Re-sign Derrick Johnson (I will get ripped on this but we're very short at the LB position and he's much better than Mays or Belcher)

- Win the next 2 games (this season) and then trade down to around 10th spot in draft, pick up another 2nd rd and 3rd next season.

- 2010 DRAFT
1. S - Taylor Mays, USC
2. MLB - Brandon Spikes, Florida
2. WR - Golden Tate, Notre Dame
2. OLB - Eric Norwood, S.Carolina
3. WR - Mardy Gilyard, Cincy
4. OT - Chris Scott, Tennessee
5. WR - Denario Alexander, Mizzou

- Get Charlie Weis and Romeo Crennell on board as coord's and get Cassel a QB coach, whether that be Weis or someone else besides Haley.

KCDC
12-22-2009, 01:05 PM
It could have been worse. We could have also been shutout by the Browns.

Still, you know you are at the bottom of the barrel when you start Lance Long, and Cassel throws to ... Copper in the end zone on a critical play. What was Copper even doing in the game? How can you justify either man on an NFL roster?

Unlike the rest of you, I could see the game on NFL Ticket, and did, since I live in DC. It was thrilling. It was a thrilling game. One had the fascination of watching a train wreck, or like that poor dog jumping out the window. On the other hand, seeing the running of Charles was a thing of beauty. It was the ray of hope that lay at the bottom of Pandora's Box. Metaphorically, the rest of the evil let lose Sunday was embarrassing, but laughable.

Cincy will plan to run LJ at us, thinking we'll be weak against the run. Remember the Colts playoff game where we laughed that the Colts were last in the run and that we'd just run LJ every play? They adjusted and shut us down completely (until the 4th quarter). Now we need to do the same. If we allow Cincy to rush for 300+ ... THEN it will be the darkest day.

The Franchise
12-22-2009, 01:10 PM
This team could win 11 games easily next season with next season's easy schedule if.........

- They sign NT Wilfork and OG Mankins. Re-sign Derrick Johnson (I will get ripped on this but we're very short at the LB position and he's much better than Mays or Belcher)

- Win the next 2 games (this season) and then trade down to around 10th spot in draft, pick up another 2nd rd and 3rd next season.

- 2010 DRAFT
1. S - Taylor Mays, USC
2. WR - Golden Tate, Notre Dame
4. OT - Chris Scott, Tennessee

- Get Charlie Weis and Romeo Crennell on board as coord's and get Cassel a QB coach, whether that be Weis or someone else besides Haley.

3 WRs? Jesus....that's a little overkill. Tate and Gilyard are pretty much the same player.

CoMoChief
12-22-2009, 01:40 PM
3 WRs? Jesus....that's a little overkill. Tate and Gilyard are pretty much the same player.

We need players that can catch the damn ball.

Long, Copper, Lawrence, Bradley is who we have outside Bowe and Chambers. And Chambers probably isn't a long term solution.

Bowe
Chambers
Tate
Gilyard
Alexander
And if we keep Bradley then so be it.

That's a pretty damn good WR's core. and Gilyard can return kicks.

The Franchise
12-22-2009, 01:42 PM
We need players that can catch the damn ball.

Long, Copper, Lawrence, Bradley is who we have outside Bowe and Chambers. And Chambers probably isn't a long term solution.

Bowe
Chambers
Tate
Gilyard
Alexander
And if we keep Bradley then so be it.

That's a pretty damn good WR's core. and Gilyard can return kicks.

Tate can return kicks as well. Chambers, I believe, has 1-2 years left on this team. I'm fine with taking Alexander late in the draft and Gilyard in the first 3 rounds....but we really don't need Tate AND Gilyard.

Bowe
Chambers
Gilyard
Alexander
Bradley/Long....it really doesn't matter.

CoMoChief
12-22-2009, 02:04 PM
- 2010 DRAFT (UPDATED)
1. S - Taylor Mays, USC
2. OT - Jason Fox, Miami
4. RB - Montario Hardesty, Tennessee
5. OL - Chris Scott, Tennessee
6. QB - Max Hall, BYU

The Franchise
12-22-2009, 03:12 PM
- 2010 DRAFT (UPDATED)
1. S - Taylor Mays, USC
2. OT - Jason Fox, Miami
6. QB - Max Hall, BYU

I'm perfectly fine with that.

Extra Point
12-22-2009, 03:14 PM
- 2010 DRAFT (UPDATED)
1. S - Taylor Mays, USC
2. OT - Jason Fox, Miami
6. QB - Max Hall, BYU

I'm fine with that, too, but I, too, believe, a lot of WTFs will be declared on draft day.

BossChief
12-22-2009, 03:16 PM
There have been plenty of darkest of dark days over the last 4 years... Sunday was nothing special...

Shit anyone forget Herm taking his team to Carolina a couple of years ago...The Carolina game was no different than any of five of six games this year imho.

- 2010 DRAFT (UPDATED)
1. S - Taylor Mays, USC
2. OT - Jason Fox, Miami
6. QB - Max Hall, BYU

Switch out Mays with Berry and Jason Fox with Iupati and Im down to roll with that!

kcfanXIII
12-22-2009, 03:17 PM
the run d, and special teams, both deserve to be ranked 35th at least. i'm sure there are three semi pro football teams that are better.