PDA

View Full Version : Other Sports Potential CP night at the Mavericks

Big Dog
12-22-2009, 10:14 AM
Months ago I posted about my decision to buy Missouri Maverick's season tickets. It recently was resurrected for a short while and a discussion of a potential Chiefs Planet night was discussed. I have spoken with Mike (Fish) Fisher and here is what he will do for us:

The game in question is against the Wichita Thunder on Saturday, February 27th at 7:05pm. Once I get a feel for how many tickets we'll need Fish will block off a group of tickets for us. He has offered to get us the Rinkside category of tickets (normally $25) for just $16 a piece for this little event. After he has done that, I'll post the information and people can call his office with credit card information and be able to pick up the tickets at will-call.

The current plan is to grab a group of seats in the same section as my season tickets (103), but that can be decided when I give Fish a potential number.

I told him maybe everyone would have fun wearing Chief's stuff and making a spectacle of themselves...and he thought that would be pretty cool...but again, that's up to those who decide to come.

I'll be happy to offer any information I can...concession prices, parking info (free btw), tailgating restrictions (if that's a consideration in February), etc.

I am going to keep this thread bumped for a couple of days to see what interest there is. Also, as soon as I figure out how to reduce image sizes, I am going to post some photos from last week's game.

Chime in and let me know interest levels and how many tickets you would be getting.

BigRedChief
12-22-2009, 10:20 AM
Put me down for 3 tickets

Fish
12-22-2009, 10:24 AM
I'll be down for a couple tickets.

Dayze
12-22-2009, 10:29 AM
put me down for 2.
I'm in. ($16ea?..can't beat that)

Big Dog
12-22-2009, 11:59 AM
7 and counting....

Big Dog
12-23-2009, 08:50 AM
An informational bump.

The game last night was awesome. In a game that had several lead changes, we were tied 5-5 at the end of regulation. Then a scoreless overtime took us to a shootout that went to the 6th man, with the Mavericks coming out a winner. Stadium was 90% full, and it was a great time!

I hope we can put something together, I suspect a good time will be had by all!

Fish
12-23-2009, 09:13 AM
Wow that sounds like a great game. I shoulda come out there instead of playing night golf...

Dayze
12-23-2009, 09:18 AM
I don't think my wife has ever been to a hockey game; and I've only been to maybe one or two. But had a great time each time.

BigRedChief
12-23-2009, 09:22 AM
I don't think my wife has ever been to a hockey game; and I've only been to maybe one or two. But had a great time each time.I've been to two Blades games at Kemper. I have no clue whatsoever on what the rules are or anything. :)

rockymtnchief
12-23-2009, 09:25 AM
I've been to two Blades games at Kemper. I have no clue whatsoever on what the rules are or anything. :)

Once you learn them you'll enjoy the game even more. I played for nine years and spend every winter sitting at the bar explaining the rules. Now I have a pretty good entourage that shows up to watch the Stanley Cup playoffs with me.

Fish
12-23-2009, 10:13 AM
Maybe this will help.........

Hockey rules for Dummies(or those new to the sport :D)

Off sides and icing is what really confuses most folks. And explaining it here makes it sound much more complicated than it actually is. You'll pick up these rules rather quickly just by watching a game or two.

http://images.wikia.com/openserving/sports/images/8/8a/HockeyRink.png

The spot between the blue line and the goal is known as the team's zone.

Basic Vocabulary

→ Period There are three periods, each encompassing 20 minutes of stop time. There is an overtime period if the game is tied after three. Overtime is played as "sudden death", meaning the first team to score wins the game. If no one scores during the overtime period, there is a shoot out.
For a shoot out, each team selects five players. In turn, each player begins at center ice, skating in for one shot on goal. The team scoring the most goals in five attempts is the winner. If the shootout is tied after all ten players have made their attempts, the competition continues in "sudden-death" mode: The teams trade shots until there is a winner.

→ Off-side When a team is on offense, the puck must enter the opposing team's zone(past the blue line) before any of the offensive players do. Icing happens when both of an offensive player’s skates are completely over the opposing team's blue line in their offensive zone before the puck enters the zone. When that happens, play is stopped and a face off occurs. The confusing part is when the puck leaves the zone when all the offensive players are still in the zone. If the puck leaves the zone, the offensive team must have all their players also leave the zone(cross the blue line) before the puck can re-enter the zone.

→ Icing Icing occurs when a player shoots the puck (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hockey_puck) across at least two red lines (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_line_%28hockey%29), the opposing team's goal line being the last, and the puck remains untouched. When icing occurs, a linesman (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Official_%28ice_hockey%29#Linesmen)(referee) stops play. Play is resumed with a faceoff (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faceoff) in the defending zone of the team that committed the infraction. a player on the opposing team other than the goaltender (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goaltender) must touch the puck to cause the stoppage of play. If the puck is first touched by the goaltender or a player on the team that iced the puck, icing is waved off (cancelled) and play continues. The icing rule can lead to high-speed races for the puck. While an icing call is pending, the linesman raises an arm to indicate that a potential icing call may be made. If the icing is waved off, the official lowers his arm and gives the washout signal (extending both arms sideways from the body at shoulder height).

To best explain this.... a shot from spot B would result in icing unless the puck is first touched by either the opposing goalie, or a member of the shooting team. A shot from spot A is not icing, since the puck doesn't cross both red lines.

http://img684.imageshack.us/img684/3976/icing3770385.png

→ In the crease If a player from the opposing team is in the other goalie’s crease (the area directly in front of the net) when the puck is not, the whistle is blown and the faceoff is taken in the neutral zone.

→ Puck leaving the ice If the puck deflects off into anything outside the playing area (other than the boards or glass), a faceoff will be called from where the puck was shot.

→ Handling the puck The puck may be batted down by a player’s hand anywhere on the ice. However, it may not be held, carried, or thrown. Only in a player’s defensive zone may a puck be passed to his own teammate.

Minor penalty (2 minutes) A minor penalty is assessed when an official sees that an infraction has occurred. When a penalty is called on a player, the team becomes shorthanded while the player is in the box. If another player gets a penalty on the same team, the team is then down to three men on the ice. If by chance one or more penalties occur while the two players are already in the box, the new players also go in the box but the time on the third penalty does not start until the first one is over.
A teammate who was on the ice at the time of the infraction serves a goalie’s penalty.
The referee does not blow the whistle for a penalty until the player’s team touches the puck. A penalty is expired when the team with more players scores. The team with an advantage is said to have a “power play” while the team with players in the box are “killing a penalty.”

→ Tripping It is illegal for a player to use a stick or any part of the body in a manner that causes an opponent to fall. hooKing A player may not impede an opposing player by hooking or blocking the body with the stick. This is one of the most commonly called penalties in hockey, from collegiate level to NHL.

→ Interference If the opponent does not have possession of the puck, it is illegal for the player to impede the progress of that opponent.

→ Elbowing This is called when a player is using their elbow to hit an opponent is a cause for a minor penalty.

→ Holding A player must not grab an opponent in anyway.

Major penalty (5 minutes) Minor penalties can be assessed as major if the referee believes the player committing the infraction had the intent to injure.

Misconduct (10 minutes) In this situation, a player serves their penalty off the ice and may be substituted for another player on the team. Misconduct penalties include: Abusive language or taunting to official, continued altercations, second violation for illegal equipment, obscene gesture, threatening, language, ethnic or racial slurs, failure to go to penalty bench, player interference with penalty shot, puck shot after whistle, throwing stick off ice, and general unsportsmanlike conduct.

Miscellaneous Infractions

→ Fighting Any type of fighting or punching can be a major penalty, misconduct, or game disqualification.

→ High stick vs. high sticking A high stick is when a player hits the puck from the air above four feet with his stick. This is just a faceoff in the player’s defensive end. High sticking, however, is a penalty when a player has his stick too high so that it endangers other players’ heads and necks.

→ Checking: women vs. men In Women’s hockey, separating the puck from the puck carrier with distinct body impact is not permitted. Men are allowed this luxury.

→ Hitting from behind Pushing, charging, cross checking, and body checking an opponent from behind in open ice is a penalty, usually a major one. Charging Skating more than two steps to hit an opponent is charging.

luv
12-23-2009, 10:43 AM
Interested. Count two for me. I've got a friend who is a huge hockey fan.
Posted via Mobile Device

Jilly
12-23-2009, 10:46 AM
I need to talk to Sully, but we're probably in for 2. We love the Mavs!

Sandyskc
12-24-2009, 02:51 PM
Big Dog, Dan and I are interested. Put us down for 2.

Titty Meat
12-24-2009, 04:30 PM
I'll go but I gotta see if my dad wants to go too he loves hockey.

CoMoChief
12-24-2009, 04:52 PM
Offsides is retarded. I guess it prevents cherry picking. But if you're cherrypicking that prevents you from having any potential power plays.

Sully
12-24-2009, 05:15 PM
Jilly and I are in.
We could possibly host a preparty, as we live 2 miles away.

Kyle DeLexus
12-24-2009, 05:19 PM
In for at least one, going to talk to some friends and see if I can get some guys together. Should be able to get a couple more.

Big Dog
12-28-2009, 09:39 AM
Sorry all, been out of town for the holidays. I count 14 with more considering. Of course I am not sure anyone will look at this thread with the 'epic ip ban bet' threads going on right now :)

Let's get that number up around 20 or so, and I will get it set up with the Mavericks!

Saulbadguy
12-28-2009, 10:51 AM
I went to the Wichita Thunder game on Saturday night and the Missouri Mavericks kicked their asses. I didn't realize the Thunder were so bad: 3-21-3..wow. The Mavericks are below .500 and they still beat the Thunder handily.

Saulbadguy
12-28-2009, 10:52 AM
Offsides is retarded. I guess it prevents cherry picking. But if you're cherrypicking that prevents you from having any potential power plays.

:spock:

Bearcat
12-28-2009, 11:02 AM
Put me down for two... I've driven to Omaha twice for hockey this season, so I guess I should drive across town one of these days. :)

Fish
12-28-2009, 11:25 AM

Well.... CoMo is an expert on all things retarded...

Big Dog
01-05-2010, 11:55 AM
I am headed to the game tonight, so I thought I would bump this up and see if there is any more initial interest.

I believe we are at 16 potential tickets at this point. I'll check back in before going to the game tonight, so I can firm up plans with Fish at the Mavericks.

sedated
01-05-2010, 12:02 PM
It'll be pretty funny to see a bunch of guys in Chiefs gear rooting for a team that wears blue and orange and has a horse as their mascot.

BigRedChief
01-05-2010, 12:06 PM
I am headed to the game tonight, so I thought I would bump this up and see if there is any more initial interest.

I believe we are at 16 potential tickets at this point. I'll check back in before going to the game tonight, so I can firm up plans with Fish at the Mavericks.It would seem like a big part of their overall long term plan has to be to get Chief fans to attend the Maverick games. Here you have a group of them coming to the game. Seems like we could get a good deal.

Big Dog
01-05-2010, 05:10 PM
Well, I certainly couldn't comment on a 'big part of their overall long term plan' but I do know the director of ticket sales is aware I post on this forum (ok, mainly lurk....) and did give us a good deal imo. As stated in original post $25 tix for $16 bucks and he will 'block out' a section of seats.

I guess I have become the unofficial Mavericks cheerleader here, it's just that I have been enjoying these games much more than my Arrowhead experience the last couple of years. ;)

BigRedChief
02-27-2010, 12:05 PM
They got a parking advisory on the front page of their website. They are warning people to arrive early.

stevieray
02-27-2010, 12:18 PM
....my neighbor's daughter and her choir are singing the NA tonight.

Dayze
02-27-2010, 01:20 PM
how 'early' is early to arrive for parking. I was planning on getting there areoun 6:15 or so....

Phobia
02-27-2010, 01:39 PM
I didn't get tix. Anybody got 2 they wanna unload?

BigRedChief
02-27-2010, 02:15 PM
I didn't get tix. Anybody got 2 they wanna unload?I think Luv had extras.

BigRedChief
02-28-2010, 11:17 AM
Good times. Nice to meet some of my online friends in person for the first time, put some more faces to names on the Planet.

Shout out to Big Dog for putting this together.

Another shout out for Bearcat for putting up with all my hockey n00b questions.:clap:

Big Dog
02-28-2010, 12:26 PM
Hope you guys all had fun, It was a pretty good game all in all. Every seat in the house truly was full, the 4 players on IR had nowhere to sit, so we ended squeezing extra folding chairs in with us.

I spent most of the 2nd and 3rd period chatting with a couple of players while watching the game. The two from last night and the two I previously have had brief conversations with are very personable articulate young men. It's just so different than some of my experiences with NFL players, many of whom see you as a problem, not an interested fan.

Dayze
02-28-2010, 02:10 PM
great, great game/time.
thanks Big Dog for organizing/setting things in motion.

Great to meet Big Chief Dave, Bearcat, Luv.
I already knew Jilly & Sully (Jilly married my wife an I).

We're definitely planning on going to games in the future. awesome value for your $.

Jilly
02-28-2010, 02:45 PM
great, great game/time.
thanks Big Dog for organizing/setting things in motion.

Great to meet Big Chief Dave, Bearcat, Luv.
I already knew Jilly & Sully (Jilly married my wife an I).

We're definitely planning on going to games in the future. awesome value for your $.

You're welcome! It was a great time! I've never seen that many redheads in one place!

Slainte
02-28-2010, 04:17 PM
He didn't say 'thank you'....

luv
02-28-2010, 04:29 PM
You're welcome! It was a great time! I've never seen that many redheads in one place!

I thought the same thing!

BigRedChief
02-28-2010, 05:17 PM
I've never seen that many redheads in one place!:LOL: that was kind of fluke thing.

Jilly
02-28-2010, 05:51 PM
He didn't say 'thank you'....

No, but if you have ever seen his wife you'll know he didn't have to. She's got great "assets".

Dayze
02-28-2010, 06:13 PM
No, but if you have ever seen his wife you'll know he didn't have to. She's got great "assets".

:D

BigRedChief
02-28-2010, 06:27 PM
No, but if you have ever seen his wife you'll know he didn't have to. She's got great "assets".why is it you can say something like that but if I say it, I get punched in the nose?:)

Sandyskc
02-28-2010, 06:55 PM
We had a great time, too. Thanks all!

Jilly
02-28-2010, 07:46 PM
why is it you can say something like that but if I say it, I get punched in the nose?:)

Double Standard....sometimes they work in the woman's favor, but not often.