PDA

View Full Version : Life Athens

Marco Polo
12-26-2009, 08:28 PM
I thought I'd throw out a possible situation in my life up for discussion tonight since it seems slow besides the Urban Meyer threads.

I work for the fed govt and a 3 year job promotion opened up in Athens. I'd be traveling 30% of the time to Turkey & Israel. My housing would paid for as well.

I'm 29 & single so I'd be 32-33 when I get back. I'd like to meet "the one" at some point and feel that I'd be putting my personal life on hold should I do this (and get it). Also I'd be at the age where less and less quality women with no kids are available.

So I'm torn between the adventure and once in a lifetime experience with the risk of possibly impacting my personal life at what could be a critical juncture in my life.

Thoughts?
Posted via Mobile Device

Saul Good
12-26-2009, 08:33 PM
How's the money? If it's good, do it. I'm 31 years old and got married when I was about your age and had a kid shortly (oops) after. 32-33 is plenty young. You can't get those years and experiences back. The difference between 29 and 33 is nothing for a man. Also, you can get more women from ages 20-40 when you are in your thirties. If you've got a good career and good life experiences, you'll have a ton of choices.

patteeu
12-26-2009, 08:39 PM
You should take the promotion if it's a good career opportunity. There are plenty of women available for 33+ yo's who have a decent career and unless you like older women, it won't be too late to start a family. But there's really no reason why you couldn't meet a nice greek gal during your time over there. There are probably quite a few greek women interested in coming to America.

Marco Polo
12-26-2009, 08:40 PM
The money would be phenomenal. After the asignment is over, I'd go back to my position now. I would try to visit all of europe and parts of north africa. However being away from parents and friends..it would definitely be more lonely, though I'm sure I'd meet new friends. I doubt I could watch American sports? Not sure how that works there.
Posted via Mobile Device

ziggysocki
12-26-2009, 08:42 PM
I thought I'd throw out a possible situation in my life up for discussion tonight since it seems slow besides the Urban Meyer threads.

I work for the fed govt and a 3 year job promotion opened up in Athens. I'd be traveling 30% of the time to Turkey & Israel. My housing would paid for as well.

I'm 29 & single so I'd be 32-33 when I get back. I'd like to meet "the one" at some point and feel that I'd be putting my personal life on hold should I do this (and get it). Also I'd be at the age where less and less quality women with no kids are available.

So I'm torn between the adventure and once in a lifetime experience with the risk of possibly impacting my personal life at what could be a critical juncture in my life.

Thoughts?
Posted via Mobile Device

GO GO GO GO GO GO... You will have plenty of time to be stuck in one place. GOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

Saul Good
12-26-2009, 08:46 PM
The money would be phenomenal. After the asignment is over, I'd go back to my position now. I would try to visit all of europe and parts of north africa. However being away from parents and friends..it would definitely be more lonely, though I'm sure I'd meet new friends. I doubt I could watch American sports? Not sure how that works there.
Posted via Mobile Device

Take the job. If the money is that good, you should be able to come back with $100,000 or more in liquid assets. That can end up setting you up for life if you're smart with it.

You may get lonely from time to time. I used to travel a lot for my job. I'll tell you this much, you can meet ANYONE if you are from out of town, are interesting, and are outgoing. Finally, screw sports. Sports are a distraction. The more interesting your life becomes, the less you will care about sports.

Saul Good
12-26-2009, 08:48 PM
This guy thinks you should go for it.

patteeu
12-26-2009, 08:53 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

I think you should take it. Don't be afraid.

Marco Polo traveled the world. You were meant to do this.

Marco Polo
12-26-2009, 09:24 PM
Thanks for the perspective
Posted via Mobile Device

ziggysocki
12-26-2009, 09:27 PM
Thanks for the perspective
Posted via Mobile Device

Go. Go now. The world is big, see as much as you can on someone elses dime. Your family and friends will be just as boring and doing the same things when you get back. GO!

Rain Man
12-26-2009, 09:32 PM
Absolutely do it, for the following reasons:

1. Meeting a woman is a possibility. This nice assignment is a certainty. A bird in the hand is worth two bushes, or something like that.

2. You're just as likely to meet "the one" there as you are here. You'll just meet women on trains and at kibbutzes and in turkish baths instead of at your office, and they'll be more interesting anyway.

3. Money, money, money.

4. Women are more attracted to interesting guys, and this would give you good stories. Plus, women are more attracted to interesting guys with money, money, money.

5. Chicks aside, what's best for your professional development? Sounds like this is. Never turn down a promotion unless you're about to quit.

Just out of curiosity, are you an international spy and/or assassin?

ziggysocki
12-26-2009, 09:33 PM

1. Meeting a woman is a possibility. This nice assignment is a certainty. A bird in the hand is worth two bushes, or something like that.

2. You're just as likely to meet "the one" there as you are here. You'll just meet women on trains and at kibbutzes and in turkish baths instead of at your office, and they'll be more interesting anyway.

3. Money, money, money.

4. Women are more attracted to interesting guys, and this would give you good stories. Plus, women are more attracted to interesting guys with money, money, money.

5. Chicks aside, what's best for your professional development? Sounds like this is. Never turn down a promotion unless you're about to quit.

Listen to Rain Man. Wise words indeed.

Rain Man
12-26-2009, 09:36 PM
In fact, take me with you. You're going to need a personal valet while you're there.

Saul Good
12-26-2009, 09:38 PM
Marco Polo traveled the world. You were meant to do this.

Dammit pat. How in the hell did I miss that?

Misplaced_Chiefs_Fan
12-26-2009, 10:19 PM
Hell, I was on orders to Field Station Athens before they closed it.

I'd jump on that assignment in a heartbeat.

Bowser
12-26-2009, 10:24 PM
Take it, and don't think twice.

Do this while you're single, instead of when you're newly attached.

NewChief
12-26-2009, 10:27 PM
Definitely do it. I can vouch for Greece. One of my favorite places in the world (though Athens isn't my favorite place... getting out to the Islands and other cooler areas shouldn't be a problem). Meeting women also shouldn't be a problem, seriously. Europeans talk a good game when it comes to dogging on America... but they all want a peek at what Uncle Sam is packing if they get the chance.

Bearcat
12-26-2009, 10:30 PM
I'm 29 and travel for my job is up to 100% worldwide... When I started a couple of years ago, I thought I'd do it for 2-3 years. It's been 2 years, and that social clock is definitely ticking and I've thought about settling down; however, I wouldn't trade the last two years for anything, and I think I could do it a few more years before feeling like I need to settle down, find "the one", 3.2 kids, etc.

There's Skype for friends/family, justin.tv and Slingbox for American TV and sports, countless places to visit on long weekends and vacations, amazing food, interesting people, many different cultures, wonders of the world...

That said, 3 years is a long time to be out of the US. If you get the job and it's not part of the package, you might negotiate/talk to them about free trips home every once in a while. The longest I've been overseas at one time was 'only' a month, and if someone told me tomorrow that I'd be going overseas for the next two-three years, I'm not 100% sure I'd do it without a decent amount of vacation days and some home leave every 4-6 months.... that's because even though I've never been overseas long enough for it to really sink in, I worked 80 hours a week for the first couple of weeks in Bangkok, and when you only see the path between where you live and where you work, it does only become another day at work regardless of your location on Earth..... but, if you know you'll have plenty of time to travel and see new things, it's more than worth the time away from home (and if nothing else, travelling so much has given new meaning to the holidays), especially if you're making good money.

Saul Good
12-26-2009, 10:31 PM
Europeans talk a good game when it comes to dogging on America... but they all want a peek at what Uncle Sam is packing if they get the chance.

This could not be more true. That goes for every country I have ever been, by the way. The more they "hate" us, the more they want it. (I've never been to Afghanistan, though.)

Marco Polo
12-26-2009, 11:02 PM
I'm 29 and travel for my job is up to 100% worldwide... When I started a couple of years ago, I thought I'd do it for 2-3 years. It's been 2 years, and that social clock is definitely ticking and I've thought about settling down; however, I wouldn't trade the last two years for anything, and I think I could do it a few more years before feeling like I need to settle down, find "the one", 3.2 kids, etc.

There's Skype for friends/family, justin.tv and Slingbox for American TV and sports, countless places to visit on long weekends and vacations, amazing food, interesting people, many different cultures, wonders of the world...

That said, 3 years is a long time to be out of the US. If you get the job and it's not part of the package, you might negotiate/talk to them about free trips home every once in a while. The longest I've been overseas at one time was 'only' a month, and if someone told me tomorrow that I'd be going overseas for the next two-three years, I'm not 100% sure I'd do it without a decent amount of vacation days and some home leave every 4-6 months.... that's because even though I've never been overseas long enough for it to really sink in, I worked 80 hours a week for the first couple of weeks in Bangkok, and when you only see the path between where you live and where you work, it does only become another day at work regardless of your location on Earth..... but, if you know you'll have plenty of time to travel and see new things, it's more than worth the time away from home (and if nothing else, travelling so much has given new meaning to the holidays), especially if you're making good money.

Thanks for the post. If selected, I'd get two free trips home per year. Sounds like you've traveled a lot.
Posted via Mobile Device

Marco Polo
12-26-2009, 11:04 PM
Hell, I was on orders to Field Station Athens before they closed it.

I'd jump on that assignment in a heartbeat.

Does that mean you were there? What's your view of the city? My operations would be at the embassy.
Posted via Mobile Device

Marco Polo
12-26-2009, 11:13 PM

3. Money, money, money.

Love the response. And no, I'm not a character from some movie.
Posted via Mobile Device

dtebbe
12-26-2009, 11:40 PM
I lived in Athens for 3 years from 1989 - 1992. Loved it. A little backwards back then, but looking back it was the time of our lives. I used to go TDY to Turkey, Italy, and Germany when I was there, mostly Turkey. I really liked Turkey too.

Our old station manager still lives in Athens, about 4 blocks from where the base used to be.. (our softball fields are still there :) )

JUST DO IT!

DT

patteeu
12-27-2009, 07:08 AM
Love the response. And no, I'm not a character from some movie.
Posted via Mobile Device

That's just what I'd expect a good spy to say.

Hog's Gone Fishin
12-27-2009, 07:34 AM
I would think that if you go, you will look back later on and be grateful for that experience.

If you don't go you'll always wonder what you missed and think that you should have gone while you had the chance.

Anyway the women over here are nothing compared to the women from that part of the world. It will open your eyes.

Buehler445
12-27-2009, 08:14 AM
I don't have any experience that I can share, other than making gigantic decisions.

If I were you, I'd try to determine the emotions you are feeling. The bad feelings are most likely fear or anxiety. Try to determine the root cause of those emotions and then determine if they are reasonable and the risks that you fear can be managed. The good emotions you are feeling are most likely wanting some change. Try to determine if the ideas fostering these emotions are reasonable.

Essentially try to look at it objectively. It's a very "gut feeling" decision, so you can't totally eliminate emotions, but you can try to identify the unreasonable ones.

Best of luck. Do what you think is best.

FWIW, you may land some crazy European chick over there and convince her to go to the US and settle down (and by settle down, I mean still have crazy European sex :) )

Hydrae
12-27-2009, 08:45 AM
GO GO GO GO GO GO... You will have plenty of time to be stuck in one place. GOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

Um, this!

kregger
12-27-2009, 08:58 AM
What Rainman said. And there's always the women, I want to travel to the Greek islands but it'll be dangerous taking my wife. My head would be on a swivel 24/7. Oh, to be 30, single, and in Greece.

bevischief
12-27-2009, 10:35 AM
Go, never know might meet mrs right.

Dayze
12-27-2009, 10:51 AM
do it; once you're married/kids/tied down etc, an opprotunity like that would be nearly impoassible to accept.

do it - check out the world. I doubt you'll regret it.

mikeyis4dcats.
12-27-2009, 10:57 AM
be a great adventure, but be careful. Americans are not well liked by many in that part of the world. Would your employer provide you with some self-defense training if you go?

Dave Lane
12-27-2009, 01:21 PM
Athens is a cool place don't know about meeting "the one" over there but it is still possible. I'd say go for adventure you are way younger than you think and have time to find "the one" here when you get back if you don't find it there.

Thoughts?
Posted via Mobile Device

Dave Lane
12-27-2009, 01:23 PM
be a great adventure, but be careful. Americans (but mostly George Bush) are not well liked by many in ANY part of the world. Would your employer provide you with some self-defense training if you go?

FYP for the realities of the real situation.

Kyle DeLexus
12-27-2009, 01:49 PM
There are always new crops of single 18 year olds women with no kids every year, if you have money you can buy one.

Param
12-27-2009, 01:53 PM
You should go.

I've lived there for 4 years, and I've been back recently and vacationed there and the islands. The airport, metro, bus systems have been upgraded since the the Olympics in 2004. The city is still gritty and run down compared to other Euro cities. The Euro there is cheap compared to other countries. For example, a pack of smokes, coke, etc. If you plan to visit other countries from Athens you will be flying rather than say trains for travel. The Greeks are fine. Lots of people there do not speak English well though. And obviously you will start learning phrases and words to get yourself around.

Oh, you should go.

Marco Polo
12-27-2009, 02:33 PM
I decided I'm putting in for it. Now it's up to a suit out east.

BigMeatballDave
12-27-2009, 02:41 PM
You should do it. Experience life while you can. Plus, I'm sure you could score some hot tail in Greece. Good luck!

BigMeatballDave
12-27-2009, 02:45 PM
Traveling to Israel sounds a bit scary though.

Coach
12-27-2009, 02:49 PM
Traveling to Israel sounds a bit scary though.

Yeah, going fro Hamas Jenkins to Hamas, that's a hell of a scary thought.

Kyle DeLexus
12-27-2009, 03:32 PM
You should do it. Experience life while you can. Plus, I'm sure you could score some hot tail in Greece. Good luck!

Hot tail in Greece...ROFL nice!

Bowser
12-27-2009, 04:04 PM

I see what you did there