PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Whitlock: Haley, Pioli should try to fix their own problems

Tribal Warfare
12-27-2009, 12:38 AM
Haley, Pioli should try to fix their own problems (http://www.kansascity.com/sports/columnists/jason_whitlock/story/1651661.html)
By JASON WHITLOCK
The Kansas City Star

When it comes to putting thought into the Chiefs, there’s nothing quite like a snowstorm, cancellation of your scheduled flight home for Christmas and aggravated back pain from pushing a car stuck in the ice and snow.

This Christmas I had so much time to think about our favorite professional football team that I actually figured out how, in just one offseason, Scott Pioli and Todd Haley can fix the inherited mess they made worse.

For much of the season, I’ve pointed to Pioli’s and Haley’s bloated egos as the cause of what’s wrong with the 2009 Chiefs. The truth is, ego is only half of the problem.

The other half is youthful, inexperienced and immature leadership. Sorry, I’m not talking about the players. I’m talking about Pioli and Haley. Young, newly installed managers frequently make the mistake of focusing an immense amount of energy on proving the incompetence of the previous regime.

This applies to any workplace, not just professional sports. When young managers are asked to replace a failed management team, they often assume the easiest way to score points is by showing everyone they’re not as stupid as the previous boss.

Everything that transpired under the previous regime either stunk or wasn’t near as productive as it could’ve been. Young managers often lack confidence and a legitimate game plan to produce winning results. Insecurity causes them to preach to a choir: “Man, the old boss was bad.”

If you’ve read the spoon-fed narratives written this season by national writers who cover the NFL, the focus is always on how dumb Carl Peterson and Herm Edwards were. If you believe what has been written, Pioli and Haley took over the worst NFL franchise in the history of the league. Not only were the players no good, but they were fat, out of shape and complacent.

Here’s what young managers fail to realize. No one hired them to prove the previous boss needed to be fired. That case was already made. That’s why Clark Hunt dumped Peterson and allowed Pioli to can Edwards.

Pioli and Haley were hired to fix things, not tell us what we already know (the organization is broken).

Anyway, the beauty of next season is that Pioli and Haley will spend less time — hopefully no time — wasting energy vilifying Peterson, Edwards and the players they inherited. In 2010, Pioli and Haley will be forced to embrace the organization and roster as their own.

This could lead to far better decision making. It should lead to a far more positive leadership approach next season. Rather than looking for problems, Pioli and Haley will be focused on finding solutions.

My hope is they’ll discover a few more Jamaal Charleses. Think about it. Had Larry Johnson not melted down on Twitter, the Chiefs might not have a running back of the future and people would still believe Kansas City has a high school-level offensive line. The unearthing of Charles solved a couple of problems.

Last week, tight end Brad Cottam looked like he might be another solution. Cottam caught four passes for 62 yards. He’s 6 feet 7, 270 pounds. He’s a big target. He could turn out to be an important ingredient in making Matt Cassel play like a legitimate starting quarterback.

Peterson and Edwards drafted Charles and Cottam. Next year that fact won’t be seen as a negative, an impediment to getting on the field.

Next year there won’t be anymore Bernard Pollards or Derrick Johnsons. Next year the most talented players will play because Pioli and Haley will have less incentive to demonstrate that Peterson and Edwards overvalued the wrong players.

Here’s another thought that crossed my mind over Christmas: The last young head coach I thought was completely overmatched his first season was Kansas State basketball coach Frank Martin. I thought Martin’s sideline demeanor and temper would ruin any chance he had of being successful.

Obviously I was wrong, and just as obviously Martin has adjusted, matured and grown in confidence.

The same thing could happen to Todd Haley. It’s the holiday season, why not dream of miracles?

TinyEvel
12-27-2009, 01:15 AM
THis is actually a pretty good piece.

I hope he's right.
HERE'S TO OPTIMISM! :toast:

kcfanXIII
12-27-2009, 01:40 AM
looks like the fat man has some christmas spirit. not a bad article.

Tiger's Fan
12-27-2009, 03:27 AM
Fat drunk and stupid is no way to go through life.

One piece in the star doesn't change the fatmans status as media idiot.

kcfanXIII
12-27-2009, 03:30 AM
Fat drunk and stupid is no way to go through life.

One piece in the star doesn't change the fatmans status as media idiot.

not really claiming he's a legit journalist now, just sayin its a nice read.

'Hamas' Jenkins
12-27-2009, 04:03 AM
That was a pretty thin stew. He doesn't offer any kind of evidence to support these claims. This reads like a lot of posts on here. "Well they did a shitty job this year, so I'll just assume that they do well next year because I want them to."

They didn't seem to have any problems playing pet Herm or Carl projects like Jon McGraw, Rudy Niswanger, or Larry Johnson. I'm sure there is favoritism involved, but it doesn't address the underlying problem--these guys have shown shitty talent evaluation abilities.

You can prove Carl and Herm are stupid without making every move from the scraps of your old organization.

Hammock Parties
12-27-2009, 06:23 AM
Yeah...other than OMG THESE PLAYERS ARE SO FAT I don't recall the current regime trying to vilify the old one all that much.

Just a lot of shit about THE PROCESS and THE RIGHT 53 and MIKE BROWN IS MY BOO.

Pollard was cut for underperforming and DJ was held to the fire and melted. I don't see those moves as attempting to show how dumb the old boss was.

|Zach|
12-27-2009, 06:45 AM
not really claiming he's a legit journalist now, just sayin its a nice read.

You people get so silly.

Icon
12-27-2009, 07:57 AM
My only recollection of Pioli falling into this trap is when Peter King quoted Pioli before the season started that 30 or so players are no longer on this roster from last year and only 2 of those 30 or so players are on a NFL roster.

That's clearly a slam on the previous regime. Also, you don't hear Pioli much at all. Rarely gives interviews so its hard to know what he's thinking.

notorious
12-27-2009, 08:23 AM
My only recollection of Pioli falling into this trap is when Peter King quoted Pioli before the season started that 30 or so players are no longer on this roster from last year and only 2 of those 30 or so players are on a NFL roster.

That's clearly a slam on the previous regime. Also, you don't hear Pioli much at all. Rarely gives interviews so its hard to know what he's thinking.

LOL Peter King picked this team to win 9 games this year.........

WHAT THE FUCK WAS HE THINKING ROFL ROFL ROFL

In a preseason interview,"This team is good, Pioli and Haley are building it the right way....".

booger
12-27-2009, 08:36 AM
5. If Chiefs head coach Todd Haley keeps his job — which I’m hearing he will – he’s going to shake up his defensive staff during the offseason.

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Sunday-at-the-Post-1416.html

Deberg_1990
12-27-2009, 08:46 AM
Id rather Haley be gone ( I just don't think he has it in him to change)

But realistically, he will be back for a 2nd year. I just hope he gathers some top level assistants to help him out.
Posted via Mobile Device

penchief
12-27-2009, 08:48 AM
More unsubstantiated claims by Whitlock. I don't understand why he believes that assigning sinister ulterior motives to everything Pioli and Haley do is his job or anywhere near professional journalism.

Nothing they have done came accross as rubbing the previous regimes nose in the mess it left behind.

I wish Whotlock would stop concocting bogus personal attacks against Pioli and:Haley and just stick to what is fair to comment on.
Posted via Mobile Device

chiefzilla1501
12-27-2009, 09:13 AM
That was a pretty thin stew. He doesn't offer any kind of evidence to support these claims. This reads like a lot of posts on here. "Well they did a shitty job this year, so I'll just assume that they do well next year because I want them to."

They didn't seem to have any problems playing pet Herm or Carl projects like Jon McGraw, Rudy Niswanger, or Larry Johnson. I'm sure there is favoritism involved, but it doesn't address the underlying problem--these guys have shown shitty talent evaluation abilities.

You can prove Carl and Herm are stupid without making every move from the scraps of your old organization.

Nobody's saying they assume Pioli will do well next year. People like me are saying he deserves the chance to prove he can do well next year. I for one think Pioli has done a shitty job and yes, am scared he'll do a shitty job in 2010. But there have been enough changes within the organization to think that MAYBE he can do better. Maybe he'll do better, maybe he'll do worse. We don't know. And yes, we HOPE he'll do better, because why would anyone hope he'd do a shitty job just to prove a point?

The second part is on Haley, and it's something that scares the shit out of me a lot more than Pioli. Between not playing Morgan and Studebaker, starting LJ over Charles, etc..., he's clearly not doing a good job of getting young players on the field and it really calls into question his ability to evaluate players.