PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Interception with 2 min left. Who's fault?

googlegoogle
12-27-2009, 04:13 PM
Len Dawson said Cassel underthrew it.

I saw the replay and it was perfect pass but a perfect int by their good corner.

Where do you lean on this?

Pablo
12-27-2009, 04:14 PM
Cassel threw the perfect pass for a perfect INT.

So it was his fault.

ClevelandBronco
12-27-2009, 04:14 PM
Perfect pass to a receiver that wasn't there.

Blankey
12-27-2009, 04:15 PM
How could anyone call that a perfect pass

LaChapelle
12-27-2009, 04:15 PM
On the first one
I thought Bowe thought the best he could do would be tip it up for a possible INT
gabe up and it got picked anyway

Pablo
12-27-2009, 04:16 PM
How could anyone call that a perfect passIt was a perfect pass...

if you're the CB.

petegz28
12-27-2009, 04:16 PM
100% Cassel. Chambers was as covered as covered can get.

Pioli Zombie
12-27-2009, 04:17 PM
The bear did it.
Posted via Mobile Device

kitten_mittons
12-27-2009, 04:22 PM

I saw the replay and it was perfect pass but a perfect int by their good corner.

If there was a perfect pass made but it was intercepted, then the QB shouldn't have thrown it, so the blame falls on Cassel. Stop asking dumb questions.

Kraus
12-27-2009, 04:24 PM

A perfect pass would be in a spot where only our receiver would have a shot at it. This was far from a perfect pass.

baitism
12-27-2009, 04:26 PM
Deeper and down the sideline was the only chance Chambers would have had to catch it. But, Cassell threw it 5 yards short and 5 yards to far into the field.

petegz28
12-27-2009, 04:27 PM
A perfect pass would be in a spot where only our receiver would have a shot at it. This was far from a perfect pass.

WTF? It was a perfect fucking pass! Right to the CB! Couldn't have been prettier.

Pablo
12-27-2009, 04:27 PM
Deeper and down the sideline was the only chance Chambers would have had to catch it. But, Cassell threw it 5 yards short and 5 yards to far into the field.Try 2 yards too short and 1 yard too far into the field and you're right.

Coogs
12-27-2009, 04:29 PM
50% Cassel. 50% OC. We have struggled on that pass all year. Stay with what worked for the long drive right before half. Work the 10 yard stuff they were going to give us.

kitten_mittons
12-27-2009, 04:31 PM
50% Cassel. 50% OC. We have struggled on that pass all year. Stay with what worked for the long drive right before half. Work the 10 yard stuff they were going to give us.

You're a moron, the OC didn't make him throw it there.

Coogs
12-27-2009, 04:37 PM
You're a moron, the OC didn't make him throw it there.

Whatever. It is where he has thrown it all year long. Only time it is completed is when the WR's wrestled it away from the defenders.

TheGuardian
12-27-2009, 04:40 PM
Whatever. It is where he has thrown it all year long. Only time it is completed is when the WR's wrestled it away from the defenders.

That's the QB's fault. Manning throws that pass all the time with great success. So do all of the good quarterbacks. you have to lead the WR and air it over the top of the DB. Cassel simply sucks and can't do it.

petegz28
12-27-2009, 04:40 PM

Sorry, Coogs. The play may have been designed to go there but Cassel has to realize when a receiver is covered. Haley can only call the play before things happen. That is why there is more than one receiver on the field.

Jerm
12-27-2009, 04:42 PM
All on Cassel...terrible read and an even worse throw.
Posted via Mobile Device

kitten_mittons
12-27-2009, 04:43 PM

Stop trying to take away from Cassels suckiness.

Bowser
12-27-2009, 04:44 PM
Coogs isn't wrong. The play has been as good for us as an ice cold mug of piss. Cassel made a shit throw, but Haley should know better to send out that play, especially against Hall, who had been having a great game all day.

Mr. Laz
12-27-2009, 04:45 PM
the pass was about a foot too far inside but Chambers sure as hell didn't fight for it very hard.

neither guy did their job very well

TinyEvel
12-27-2009, 04:46 PM
the pass was about a foot too far inside but Chambers sure as hell didn't fight for it very hard.

neither guy did their job very well

(I agree with) THIS. Chambers hasn't been too scrappy fighting for balls. His best catches/most impressive plays have been in the clear. Last year's Bowe probably would have come up with that.

Pablo
12-27-2009, 04:47 PM

neither guy did their job very wellHe got his hands on the ball; and sort of struggled to pull it in...but he couldn't. Because Cassel put it in the absolute best spot imaginable for the CB.

Coogs
12-27-2009, 04:49 PM
That's the QB's fault. Manning throws that pass all the time with great success. So do all of the good quarterbacks. you have to lead the WR and air it over the top of the DB. Cassel simply sucks and can't do it.

That is what I am saying as well. That is why I think we need a QB in the draft. But 50 % of the blame should go to the OC for calling the play. Use the same philosohhy that worked before half instead of calling a play that was doomed from the start.

kitten_mittons
12-27-2009, 04:49 PM
Coogs isn't wrong. The play has been as good for us as an ice cold mug of piss. Cassel made a shit throw, but Haley should know better to send out that play, especially against Hall, who had been having a great game all day.

God you people are dumb, haley calls the play, cassel reads the defense, snaps the ball, chambers? Covered? Oh well, lets chuck it up there. Interception! Damnit Todd, you know I can't read a defense!

Pablo
12-27-2009, 04:50 PM
That is what I am saying as well. That is why I think we need a QB in the draft. But 50 % of the blame should go to the OC for calling the play. Use the same philosohhy that worked before half instead of calling a play that was doomed from the start.Well, Haley isn't a brilliant OC by any means..or at least he hasn't shown he is with this cast...but he has to have some faith in his QB to make those sorts of throws. Because almost any good QB can make that throw.

Mr. Laz
12-27-2009, 04:51 PM
He got his hands on the ball; and sort of struggled to pull it in...but he couldn't. Because Cassel put it in the absolute best spot imaginable for the CB.
you expect the receiver with the leverage and size of chambers to be able to take the ball away.

Bowe/Chamber are big guys who are supposed to win the jump ball

Chambers didn't

that said it would of sure helped if cassel throws that ball a foot deeper and a foot closer to the sideline.

like i said ... both guys failed

Bowser
12-27-2009, 04:51 PM
God you people are dumb, haley calls the play, cassel reads the defense, snaps the ball, chambers? Covered? Oh well, lets chuck it up there. Interception! Damnit Todd, you know I can't read a defense!

So tell us, Unitas - who was running open and should have gotten the ball?

Mecca
12-27-2009, 04:52 PM
Size of Chambers?

He's 5'11.

An intercepted pass is far from perfect.

petegz28
Well, Haley isn't a brilliant OC by any means..or at least he hasn't shown he is with this cast...but he has to have some faith in his QB to make those sorts of throws. Because almost any good QB can make that throw.

That and he has to have faith in his QB to know when a receiver is covered and to throw it away of check it down.

Coogs
12-27-2009, 04:54 PM

Look, if Milkman were to tell me I am dumb, then I might step back and rethink my position. It was a shitty throw, I will give you that. I am not trying to take away from Cassel's suckage an any way shape or form. We have seen that same throw made multiple times this season. And pretty much everytime it has been... FAIL!

Dayze
12-27-2009, 04:54 PM
Cassels; this isn't an instance where the WR mis-read the coverage and optioned to a different route (QB and WR not being on the same page).

they were on the same page, and it was a p*ss poor throw.

Pablo
12-27-2009, 04:55 PM
you expect the receiver with the leverage and size of chambers to be able to take the ball away.

Bowe/Chamber are big guys who are supposed to win the jump ball

Chambers didn't

It's only a jump ball if both the WR and the CB have an EQUAL opportunity to grab the ball. Chambers was at a disadvantage, due to a shitty throw, and made an effort to grab the ball, but couldn't.

Chambers isn't a CB. It's not his job to play one because Cassel makes a bad throw, and I certainly can't get pissed at him for not playing one very well.

Raptor
12-27-2009, 04:55 PM
Deeper and down the sideline was the only chance Chambers would have had to catch it. But, Cassell threw it 5 yards short and 5 yards to far into the field.

AKA a normal Cassel deep pass:D

el borracho
12-27-2009, 05:02 PM
100% Cassel.

wild1
12-27-2009, 06:14 PM
The last one was just a bad throw. Some other plays, the announcers made comments about the receivers being slow coming out of their breaks and otherwise not doing Cassel any favors.

We really miss Tony Gonzalez.

jspchief
12-27-2009, 06:19 PM
1 on 1 coverage, it wasn't a poor decision to throw to him... it was a bad throw because he put it in the wrong place

TRR
12-27-2009, 06:39 PM
It was a bad throw by Cassel...And Chambers didn't do much to help him.

All the Cassel bitching is for not. He is the Chiefs QB for the forseeable future. I can't wait till he is afforded another weapon or two, and a consistent OLine.
Posted via Mobile Device

googlegoogle
12-27-2009, 07:31 PM
Metrosports postgame was pretty positive of Cassel.

Rain Man
12-27-2009, 08:10 PM
It was definitely good defensive coverage, and the throw didn't take that into account.

I'm still amazed about the touchdown that Castille caught. That was the definition of an ill-advised throw, and I'm shocked that Castille caught it and that he's not lying in a morgue right now.

'Hamas' Jenkins
12-27-2009, 08:36 PM

You must really be dumb as shit.

The ball was underthrown by three yards, and it was thrown to the wrong shoulder of the receiver. He threw it to Chambers' right shoulder when it should have gone over his left...and that's assuming he hit him in stride, which he wasn't even close to doing.

Both picks were his fault. He's a piece of shit quarterback and the worst contract this team has ever doled out. Ever.

Marcellus
12-27-2009, 08:43 PM
He's a piece of shit quarterback and the worst contract this team has ever doled out. Ever.

He sucks but you have a short memory or a tainted one.Cassel will be gone in 2 years.

Chester McGlocksuck ring a bell? How about Kendrell Bell? Pat Surtain, huge fucking contract at the time (2nd round pick trade as well).

Napoleon Harris, straight stole $.

Thats the problem, a history of spending $ on shit players.

DeezNutz
12-27-2009, 08:43 PM
You must really be dumb as shit.

The ball was underthrown by three yards, and it was thrown to the wrong shoulder of the receiver. He threw it to Chambers' right shoulder when it should have gone over his left...and that's assuming he hit him in stride, which he wasn't even close to doing.

Both picks were his fault. He's a piece of shit quarterback and the worst contract this team has ever doled out. Ever.

This is the only arguable point in your post, and it could serve as the genesis of an interesting debate.

'Hamas' Jenkins
12-27-2009, 08:47 PM
None of them were already locked up for two years.

Imagine if the Chiefs drafted Sims, owned his rights for two years, and then decided to give the fat fuck another four years after mini camp.

kitten_mittons
12-27-2009, 08:50 PM
This is the only arguable point in your post, and it could serve as the genesis of an interesting debate.

Chiefs front office is so dumb. They're one of the only teams that dishes out big paydays to players that haven't proven they deserve it. Also, Rob Johnson, I mean Ryan Leaf, I mean. . .Cassel, hasn't been good and will not be good.

Marcellus
12-27-2009, 08:53 PM
None of them were already locked up for two years.

Imagine if the Chiefs drafted Sims, owned his rights for two years, and then decided to give the fat **** another four years after mini camp.

Look up how much money Sutain made over his contract in KC. Look at what McGlocksuck made. Same with Bell. None did shit. Carlton Grey is another example as well as Ty Law.

Not saying Cassel was worth the $ at this point by any means but shit we have hit the crapper on some contracts. Remember the difference in contracts $ now compared to back then as well.

kitten_mittons
12-27-2009, 08:54 PM
Look up how much money Sutain made over his contract in KC. Look at what McGlocksuck made. Same with Bell. None did shit. Carlton Grey is another example as well as Ty Law.

Not saying Cassel was worth the $ at this point by any means but shit we have hit the crapper on some contracts. Remember the difference in contracts $ now compared to back then as well.

You didn't have to give Cassel the contract prior to him playing a snap for your bum team. They could have waiting until like mid-october when they found out he was horrible, to decide if they were going to pay him or not.

Terribilis
12-27-2009, 09:19 PM
All on Cassel...terrible read and an even worse throw.
Posted via Mobile Device
this

Sully
12-27-2009, 09:26 PM
One more reason Lenny should retire.

"Back when I played..."

milkman
12-27-2009, 09:37 PM

I have just way too fucking much going on in my life, so I wasn't able to watch today, but have recorded it and will watch at the earliest convenience.

However, from the sounds of things, Cassel can't make a throw that many of us said before he was traded for that he can't make.

Chiefnj2
12-27-2009, 09:44 PM
http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2009122701/2009/REG16/chiefs@bengals#tab:watch

From the goal line angle, you can see Chambers had a step and a half on the corner. Cassel stared him down and threw it short.

OnTheWarpath15
12-27-2009, 09:51 PM
http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2009122701/2009/REG16/chiefs@bengals#tab:watch

From the goal line angle, you can see Chambers had a step and a half on the corner. Cassel stared him down and threw it short.

Kinda like when Chambers had a step on the CB early in the game for a sure 6 had he aired it out, but he underthrew it, and the pass was broken up.

Marcellus
12-27-2009, 10:09 PM
Cassel sucked today. Again. I am willing to say it and I was a Cassel supporter earlier this year.

Chiefnj2
12-28-2009, 10:03 AM
On the first INT Bowe (I think it was Bowe) got a serious case of alligator arms and didn't bother to reach or get a hand on the ball and it was picked.

Hammock Parties
12-28-2009, 10:13 AM
Quacks like a duck, walks like a duck, stinks like a duck...

Quack Cassel.

Hammock Parties
12-28-2009, 10:14 AM
On the first INT Bowe (I think it was Bowe) got a serious case of alligator arms and didn't bother to reach or get a hand on the ball and it was picked.

Alligator arms my ass. He would have needed a pterodactyl's wingspan to catch that ball.

Chiefnj2
12-28-2009, 10:30 AM
Alligator arms my ass. He would have needed a pterodactyl's wingspan to catch that ball.

It was a high throw, but Bowe certainly didn't make an effort and pulled in his arms thinking he was going to get hit.

blazzin311
12-28-2009, 12:07 PM

This comment here by Kraus sums it up pretty well. End of story!

Just Passin' By
12-28-2009, 12:16 PM

There seems to be a difference of opinion:

c. Are you kidding me, Dwayne Bowe? What a shameful, unprofessional display of alligator arms, resulting in a Matt Cassel interception that never should have been.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/peter_king/12/27/mmqb/4.html

Rain Man
12-28-2009, 12:35 PM

I'd love to see a replay of that. It looked like alligator arms to me, but then again I never caught quite the right angle to see how far it was overthrown. I could see where it may have been high, but can't confirm or refute it.

FAX
12-28-2009, 12:40 PM
I'd love to see a replay of that. It looked like alligator arms to me, but then again I never caught quite the right angle to see how far it was overthrown. I could see where it may have been high, but can't confirm or refute it.

If you go to thing NFL.com thing and click on the game deal at the top and go to the "analyze" tab and scroll down to the interception and click on "watch highlights", you can see the play, Mr. Rain Man.

Or, if I got all that wrong, you might wind up seeing a lady with fake boobs do the big nasty with a horse.

FAX

Chiefnj2
12-28-2009, 12:46 PM

Click the link in post 53 and then choose the Ndekew (however you spell it INT of Cassel). The replay at the 28 second mark gives the best view.

The safety is only 2 yards behind Bowe and catches the ball at the belt level. I think Bowe had a chance of getting his hands on it if he tried.

Rain Man
12-28-2009, 12:47 PM
Thanks for the tech support. Those were fake?

Anyway, I found the clip. It looks to me like it wasn't so much that the pass was overthrown but rather that it was a little behind Bowe in a way where he couldn't twist to get to it. It wasn't horribly off mark, but was just enough behind him that I guess I can see why he didn't try for it.

Rain Man
12-28-2009, 12:51 PM
Click the link in post 53 and then choose the Ndekew (however you spell it INT of Cassel). The replay at the 28 second mark gives the best view.

The safety is only 2 yards behind Bowe and catches the ball at the belt level. I think Bowe had a chance of getting his hands on it if he tried.

Yeah, definitely not overthrown. I think, though, that Bowe was running to the left flag and the ball was thrown on his right shoulder a little behind him. I suspect that he knew he couldn't get twisted around and stop enough to catch it.

It's hard to see exactly, though, so I could be wrong.

Chiefnj2
12-28-2009, 12:54 PM
Yeah, definitely not overthrown. I think, though, that Bowe was running to the left flag and the ball was thrown on his right shoulder a little behind him. I suspect that he knew he couldn't get twisted around and stop enough to catch it.

It's hard to see exactly, though, so I could be wrong.

On a 35 yard pass downfield Bowe should have some ability to adjust to a ball that ends up being 2 feet behind him. It's tough to tell since he never kept his arms up to try to get a hand on it. Not a perfect throw by any means, but it was also a very poor effort by Bowe.

Jilly
12-28-2009, 12:55 PM
I know he's an icon, but I hate listening to Len Dawson. He's so biased and really so negative. I'm sure it was a combination of faults between receiver and qb.

DeezNutz
12-28-2009, 12:56 PM
I know he's an icon, but I hate listening to Len Dawson. He's so biased and really so negative. I'm sure it was a combination of faults between receiver and qb.

Biased and negative? In what respect?

Brock
12-28-2009, 12:58 PM

You'd be negative too if you spent 20 Sundays per year watching this garbage. At home at least you can turn the TV off.

Jilly
12-28-2009, 12:59 PM
Biased and negative? In what respect?

he's so negative, you don't hear that? of course there's not much to be too positive about these days, but he's so judgmental..... Half the time I want to tell him that it's not the same game he played back then today....

I don't have specifics, but I always find myself frustrated when I listen to him.

Rain Man
12-28-2009, 01:00 PM
On a 35 yard pass downfield Bowe should have some ability to adjust to a ball that ends up being 2 feet behind him. It's tough to tell since he never kept his arms up to try to get a hand on it. Not a perfect throw by any means, but it was also a very poor effort by Bowe.

Yeah, I agree that the whole thing looked weird. The interception was very close to him.

DeezNutz
12-28-2009, 01:00 PM
he's so negative, you don't hear that? of course there's not much to be too positive about these days, but he's so judgmental..... Half the time I want to tell him that it's not the same game he played back then today....

I don't have specifics, but I always find myself frustrated when I listen to him.

Biased for the Chiefs, though, right?

I honestly haven't listened to a game this season. Heard a couple of calls last year. Personally, I cannot stand Mitch Holthus.

Brock
12-28-2009, 01:01 PM

I honestly haven't listened to a game this season. Heard a couple of calls last year. Personally, I cannot stand Mitch Holthus.

Mitch is an uber-homer, so anyone in the vicinity sounds negative.

KCUnited
12-28-2009, 01:02 PM
He definitely sides with the QB. Yesterday I believe it was something like, "...at this level if it hits you in the hands you have to catch the ball..." He's harped on that all season.

Brock
12-28-2009, 01:02 PM
I still get a hearty laugh every time I think about the things Mitch was saying right after the Chiefs beat the Steelers.

"This will be the game, Len Dawson, that everybody looks back at and says that's where they turned it all around" ROFL

Jilly
12-28-2009, 01:03 PM

ugh, I don't like him either. But I meant bias in that he often thinks it's not the QB's fault....but some other factor, which is often true, but not always. He'll say things like...oh he should have had that tackle, or o the pocket collapsed....but I rarely hear him say things like Cassel should have stepped into the pocket, or Cassell jitters around too much. Please know I don't mean ALL the time here, but generally, that's what I hear. I have to listen to the majority of the games as I'm usually on my way home from church and my child inevitably falls asleep, so I drive around for at least an hour, hour and ahalf.

ChiefsCountry
12-28-2009, 01:04 PM
I like Dawson on the radio, he is pretty much a straight shooter. Just tells it how it is.

DeezNutz
12-28-2009, 01:04 PM
I still get a hearty laugh every time I think about the things Mitch was saying right after the Chiefs beat the Steelers.

"This will be the game, Len Dawson, that everybody looks back at and says that's where they turned it all around" ROFL

Yeah...LMAO.

My problem with Holthus is that he's a bit of a douche in his public speaking appearances.

Jilly
12-28-2009, 01:05 PM
I like Dawson on the radio, he is pretty much a straight shooter. Just tells it how it is.

yeah, I don't get that.....you can tell mid game that his spirit has fallen and well, to keep me engaged as a listener, I don't want to hear his complaining the entire time.

Rain Man
12-28-2009, 01:06 PM
He definitely sides with the QB. Yesterday I believe it was something like, "...at this level if it hits you in the hands you have to catch the ball..." He's harped on that all season.

So you're saying that I could replace Len Dawson without missing a beat?

KCUnited
12-28-2009, 01:06 PM
Holtus loves him some Vrabel. Yesterday I think I heard him say " Michael (insert middle name) Vrabel, the pride of (insert town where player played high school ball)."

KCUnited
12-28-2009, 01:08 PM
So you're saying that I could replace Len Dawson without missing a beat?
Possibly, but I would have to gauge the disgust level exhuding from your tone.

Chief Henry
12-28-2009, 02:42 PM
It was underthrown for sure, but I thought our receiver should have knocked it down.