PDA

View Full Version : Life Why do we love this team?

Dottefan
12-27-2009, 06:43 PM
As I sit here and watch another loosing season, game, month, ect..lol.. My girlfriend ask me why do I get so upset , and invest so much energy, time, money and emotions into a team that in her words "sucks", and always lets me down.

I try to explain to her how I grew up a Chiefs fan( not sure how, cuz my dads a Raiders fan)..and that its my civic duty to root for the Chiefs. I try to tell her how good they were in the 90`s( she then points out that they never one a super bowl in that era. :grr:) I told her how fun it was to watch that D take teams apart...how excited I was when Joe and Marcus came to town..how if Marty would of started Rich Gannon over Gerbach, we would of won a super bowl ..how if Lynne"****ing" Elliot would of only made one freaking field goal, we would of won a super bowl..

I explain to her, how I would get goose bumps watching Monday night games at arrowhead, and how proud I would be when the MNF team would talk about how awesome Arrowhead is, the tailgating, the crowd, and that noise..how much it would affect the apposing team. .. and the now famous "Arrowhead edition" of the National Anthem. How Arrowhead stadium was considered the loudest out door stadium, and how intimidating it was for opposing players and teams..( I then throw in the famous Rod Smith quote about his first trip to Arrowhead)

I also told her how much fun it was to watch that Al Saunders offense ...how it was like poetry in motion...how if we only had a descent D we would of won a super bowl, with that offense...I try to tell her all the joy that this team has brought me over the years.

Then after going over all that..it hits me..this is the low point of my relationship with my beloved team..this is the bottoming out point. I tell her "I refuse to give up on my team , or jump ship".."I`m in it for the long haul..this is a life long commitment that I`v made..and damn it.. I`m sticking it out"...

Now she wants the same commitment in our relationship, that I have toward my Chiefs..lol...DAMN CHIEFS.

Extra Point
12-27-2009, 06:57 PM
Just tell her you're not personally committed to failure.

chiefbowe82
12-27-2009, 06:58 PM
FREE REP FOR ALL DEPRESSED CHIEFS FANS HERE

Extra Point
12-27-2009, 07:01 PM
FREE REP FOR ALL DEPRESSED CHIEFS FANS HERE

I saw your avatar. That clinches it.

Dottefan
12-27-2009, 07:04 PM

ROFLROFL

Easy 6
12-27-2009, 07:08 PM

... LMAO

Hang in there Dotte, many of us have no choice, its 'Death or Dishonor'... like the PR guy in Blabbs posted article today says (para) 'some fans, were pretty sure they're not going anywhere'... she'll understand one day.

Sandyskc
12-27-2009, 07:09 PM
Ask her if she is willing to make this level of commitment. If she doesn't understand your commitment to the Chiefs, can she really make a strong commitment to your relationship?

MikeMaslowski
12-27-2009, 07:11 PM
this thread is wort..... nevermind.

big nasty kcnut
12-27-2009, 07:41 PM
I am chiefs fan till death.
Posted via Mobile Device

Mr. Laz
12-27-2009, 07:41 PM
i dunno ... character flaw?

Demonpenz
12-27-2009, 08:35 PM
I love football, I love kansas city, I love the ritual of getting up sunday and cooking drinking GOOD GOOD BOOZE, and getting away from fucking work.

RustShack
12-27-2009, 08:40 PM
Tell her your only committed to Chiefs fans.. so she needs to jump on the ship of get the heck out.

chiefbowe82
12-27-2009, 08:42 PM

EPIC WIN

kitten_mittons
12-27-2009, 08:47 PM
As I sit here and watch another loosing season, game, month, ect..lol.. My girlfriend ask me why do I get so upset , and invest so much energy, time, money and emotions into a team that in her words "sucks", and always lets me down.

I try to explain to her how I grew up a Chiefs fan( not sure how, cuz my dads a Raiders fan)..and that its my civic duty to root for the Chiefs. I try to tell her how good they were in the 90`s( she then points out that they never one a super bowl in that era. :grr:) I told her how fun it was to watch that D take teams apart...how excited I was when Joe and Marcus came to town..how if Marty would of started Rich Gannon over Gerbach, we would of won a super bowl ..how if Lynne"****ing" Elliot would of only made one freaking field goal, we would of won a super bowl..

I explain to her, how I would get goose bumps watching Monday night games at arrowhead, and how proud I would be when the MNF team would talk about how awesome Arrowhead is, the tailgating, the crowd, and that noise..how much it would affect the apposing team. .. and the now famous "Arrowhead edition" of the National Anthem. How Arrowhead stadium was considered the loudest out door stadium, and how intimidating it was for opposing players and teams..( I then throw in the famous Rod Smith quote about his first trip to Arrowhead)

I also told her how much fun it was to watch that Al Saunders offense ...how it was like poetry in motion...how if we only had a descent D we would of won a super bowl, with that offense...I try to tell her all the joy that this team has brought me over the years.

Then after going over all that..it hits me..this is the low point of my relationship with my beloved team..this is the bottoming out point. I tell her "I refuse to give up on my team , or jump ship".."I`m in it for the long haul..this is a life long commitment that I`v made..and damn it.. I`m sticking it out"...

Now she wants the same commitment in our relationship, that I have toward my Chiefs..lol...DAMN CHIEFS.

Ask her why she wants to be committed to such a loser. That should solve your problem.

Iowanian
12-27-2009, 08:48 PM
I think its probably the same reason some people pay leather clad hookers to stomp on their nuts and hit them with a stick.

KcMizzou
12-27-2009, 08:55 PM
i dunno ... character flaw?Pretty much.

We're Chiefs fans. We can't help it. It sucks right now, but it'll get better. We can bitch and scream and pray for change... but that's about it. Sometimes you even decide not to care anymore.

But in the end... on Suday... when it's 3rd and 3... you get so damned nervous you'd think it was the Super Bowl.

Because it's your team. That's what we do.

Reerun_KC
I love this team, because it pissess of the 4 horsemen to no end...

Then we get to hear Meccas broken record in every thread...

I thought I was bad about Herm... Shit, I have nothing on the 4 horsemen...

Reerun_KC
Pretty much.

We're Chiefs fans. We can't help it. It sucks right now, but it'll get better. We can bitch and scream and pray for change... but that's about it. Sometimes you even decide not to care anymore.

But in the end... on Suday... when it's 3rd and 3... you get so damned nervous you'd think it was the Super Bowl.

Because it's your team. That's what we do.

:clap:

Damn straight!

Psyko Tek
12-27-2009, 08:57 PM
I think its probably the same reason some people pay leather clad hookers to stomp on their nuts and hit them with a stick.

only if it's red and gold leather
black is too raiderish

kcfanXIII
12-27-2009, 09:02 PM
does your relationship need a montage too?

Bearcat
12-27-2009, 09:11 PM
I asked myself that same question when they lost to the Colts in the playoffs in 2003, couldn't come up with a good answer, and things haven't been the same since.

It's nice to reach a point where you don't have to watch every game, you get over big losses (as opposed to expected losses) the same day they happen, and basically see it as another form of entertainment with a little bit of personal attachment.

When I first joined this board, there were guys like Dartgod who would say basically the same thing, and I refused to understand, because I was a 'true fan'... losses are supposed to hurt for a couple of days, and playoff losses hurt until at least August, damnit! How can you truly enjoy the wins if your heart doesn't break when they lose?!?! I can say I was here from the beginning, watched every game, spent time, emotion, and energy towards the team I love....

Yeah, can't say I miss it.

kitten_mittons
12-27-2009, 09:16 PM
how if Marty would of started Rich Gannon over Gerbach, we would of won a super bowl ..how if Lynne"****ing" Elliot would of only made one freaking field goal, we would of won a super bowl..

Doubtful.

Frankie
12-27-2009, 09:59 PM
As I sit here and watch another loosing season, game, month, ect..lol..

"Why do we love this team?"

My 5 reasons:

5- The Super Bowl win was the first full football game I ever watched.
4- They wear the same colors as my favorite childhood soccer team.
3- I believe in loyalty.
2- I love the memory of Lanier, Dawson, Bell, Taylor, Stram, etc. and see the Chiefs uniform as one with a proud tradition, overdue to recapture it.
(Drumroll)
1- This team has fans who can't spell "losing."

Frankie
12-27-2009, 10:03 PM
..how if Lynne"****ing" Elliot would of only made one freaking field goal, we would of won a super bowl..

That was actually more so with Stenerud in the longest game ever played.

stumppy
12-27-2009, 10:04 PM
Up until today I could count on one hand the # of games I've missed this entire decade.
Today, I forgot they were even playing. Somethings gotta give.

Frankie
12-27-2009, 10:06 PM
Up until today I could count on one hand the # of games I've missed this entire decade.
Today, I forgot they were even playing. Somethings gotta give.

What did you say, stumppy? I was distracted by your avatar.

Reaper16
12-27-2009, 10:08 PM
Because I'm from Kansas City. Me and this team are joined at the hip. I can't help it.

Mecca
12-27-2009, 10:09 PM
Sometimes I think was born here and made a Chiefs fan as a punishment.

googlegoogle
12-27-2009, 10:46 PM
Because you're building a superbowl team instead of a crap barely worthy playoff team.

Pioli =rings
haley = almost ring.

Truth = Marty Shottenheimer who fans love = never close to sniffing a ring.

suds79
12-27-2009, 10:53 PM
"Why do we love this team?"

I don't know. Probably because we're all fanatics... Fans.

Otherwise, we wouldn't be on this board.

But I've learned not to let how the Chiefs do ruin or make my day. My successes or failures are not driven by the Chiefs.

I suggest you all do the same for your sanity because as much as we love this team and will stick by them, this isn't the Pittsburgh Steelers we're talking about here. It's a team who's crowning achievement came 40 years ago. I wasn't even alive then. So it's not exactly an organization rich in tradition. Just seems like there's more down times than ups. So why get all worked up over it?

Don't let it effect your day.

big nasty kcnut
12-27-2009, 10:53 PM
If you don't want to be a chiefs fan then fuck you get out
Posted via Mobile Device

DumbHillbillies
12-27-2009, 10:58 PM
Haha, thanks for warning me. I will never make the same speech in front of my girlfriend.

Mecca
12-27-2009, 11:03 PM
Because you're building a superbowl team instead of a crap barely worthy playoff team.

Pioli =rings
haley = almost ring.

Truth = Marty Shottenheimer who fans love = never close to sniffing a ring.

In fairness if I was picking a team to hire someone from NE would be one of the last places with how their guys generally do after leaving.

Gracie Dean
12-27-2009, 11:51 PM
man, makes me nostalgic