PDA

View Full Version : Movies and TV My complaint about Antiques Road Show

Rain Man
12-27-2009, 07:41 PM
I love the show, but any more it seems like it's more about antiques collectors showing off their stuff. It's no longer about people bringing in family treasures to see if they're worth anything.

On tonight's episode, some guy was showing a very basic looking dresser that none of us would pay more than $50 for. The furniture appraiser was all excited about it, and it was from some Philadelphia school that was high value. The guy was acting like he knew nothing about it and just liked it, and was using it as a night stand. It was eventually appraised it at about $4,000 to $6,000. But when they asked him what he paid for it, he said he paid $2,000 about 10 years ago.

Total fraud guy. Liar. There's no way he would pay $2,000 for that dresser if he didn't know what it was. And he's standing there trying to act like he had no idea. Liar.

Then the next guy comes up with a piece of pottery that he bought at a garage sale. Kind of ugly Indian pottery. After they talk about it for a while, the guy says, "So would you call this Redware?" I don't know what Redware is, but the expert kind of curtly said yes, it's Redware. I contend that your normal pottery buyer at a garage sale doesn't know what Redware is.

Otter
12-27-2009, 07:48 PM
I just wanted my 7000th post to be on a Rain Man post

Rain Man
12-27-2009, 07:55 PM
I just wanted my 7000th post to be on a Rain Man post

At auction, I would value your 7,000th post between $3,000 and $4,000. Maybe $5,000 if you get the right bidder. May I ask what you paid for this post?

Bowser
12-27-2009, 07:58 PM
You're all hopped up on the Dr. Pepper tonight, aren't you?

Rain Man
12-27-2009, 08:01 PM
You're all hopped up on the Dr. Pepper tonight, aren't you?

I have a problem.

LaChapelle
12-27-2009, 08:01 PM
Needs more cleavage

Ebolapox
12-28-2009, 04:39 PM
(insert joke about mica schist here)

Dave Lane
12-28-2009, 05:22 PM
I always try to see if I miss any of the valuations other than paintings by more than 10%.

I actually LOVE it when someone comes in convinced their item is massively valuable and then find out its a reproduction. I live for those :)

Maybe I should start a thread and value stuff for people. This has been a trade of mine for 20+ years.

Dave Lane
12-28-2009, 05:24 PM
OK as a Xmas present anyone that posts a picture of an antique on this thread gets a free valuation. Need good clear shots and bottom or any writing needs to be photoed.

Rausch
12-28-2009, 05:25 PM
I love the show, but any more it seems like it's more about antiques collectors showing off their stuff.

Really, there is no wife, is there?...:spock:

Deberg_1990
12-28-2009, 05:27 PM
Anyone watch "Pawn Stars" on History channel?? Its like a combonation of Antiques Roadshow and American Chopper.

Dave Lane
12-28-2009, 05:29 PM
Anyone watcg "Pawn Stars" on History channel?? Its like a combonation of Antiques Roadshow and American Chopper.

It is pretty good. But they WAY overpay for stuff and over price it too. There is another series called Picker that is coming out I'm going to Tivo too.

rockymtnchief
12-28-2009, 05:30 PM
Anyone watcg "Pawn Stars" on History channel?? Its like a combonation of Antiques Roadshow and American Chopper.

I've seen a couple episodes.

Deberg_1990
12-28-2009, 05:31 PM
It is pretty good. But they WAY overpay for stuff and over price it too.

Who knows? Maybe the market is different out in Vegas?

Dave Lane
12-28-2009, 05:39 PM
Who knows? Maybe the market is different out in Vegas?

The market for good antiques is global. I think maybe the show kicks in some bucks to make offers better and the valuations interesting

Rausch
12-28-2009, 05:40 PM
I think maybe the show kicks in some bucks to make offers better and the valuations interesting

Nah...

Demonpenz
12-28-2009, 05:41 PM
on slickdeals.net they had the first and second season of A.R.S. good stuff

Rain Man
12-28-2009, 05:51 PM
OK as a Xmas present anyone that posts a picture of an antique on this thread gets a free valuation. Need good clear shots and bottom or any writing needs to be photoed.

I have this photo, autographed by all of the Mercury astronauts plus the two program managers. What say you?

http://www.boeing.com/news/feature/mac100/images/macastro1.jpg

Dave Lane
12-28-2009, 05:53 PM
Nah...

The prices they try to get on stuff bothers me. And I'm not normally the cheap guy on the block for antique stuff.

See you can even look for yourself...

http://lochianos.com

there's even Chiefs stuff there :)

Dave Lane
12-28-2009, 05:54 PM
I have this photo, autographed by all of the Mercury astronauts plus the two program managers. What say you?

http://www.boeing.com/news/feature/mac100/images/macastro1.jpg

Can't see who they all are. I'd guess $600 - $800 range. Cool thing.

Iowanian
12-28-2009, 05:58 PM
I always try to see if I miss any of the valuations other than paintings by more than 10%.

I actually LOVE it when someone comes in convinced their item is massively valuable and then find out its a reproduction. I live for those :)

Maybe I should start a thread and value stuff for people. This has been a trade of mine for 20+ years.

really.

I've got quite a few items that were in my house when I bought it that I wonder if hey have value. The former owner died while residing here and left alot of stuff...cash box, tin print ss cards etc...

Examples.
Some antique costume jewelry, complete set of national geographic from 1937-1945, an entire book full of 1940s travel souveniers from oversees..alot of lace things from France etc....
I've got about 30 artist prints, framed with typing on back that gives dates and artist, alot of Renois etc....mostly 8x10 or smaller.

I'd post some pics if someone can tell me if I have "anything" or nothing.

I'd prefer not to think about the dollars that were thrown out in dump trailers by my "help"...a box of political buttons, many jfk.

Crush
12-28-2009, 06:01 PM
Is anyone a fan of the original British version of Cash in the Attic? I love that show.

Rain Man
12-28-2009, 06:02 PM
Can't see who they all are. I'd guess $600 - $800 range. Cool thing.

It's the Mercury astronauts. Carpenter, Cooper, Glenn, Grissom, Shepard, Slayton, Schirra.

I see prices all over the board, and they seem to vary by whether the autographs are all there, Grissom's is present, whether they're on a photograph or not, and probably some other stuff. Mine seems to have every desirable trait and I've only seen two like it. The first was on sale on ebay for $5,000 minimum bid, and the second one is here: http://www.historyforsale.com/html/prodetails.asp?documentid=264267&start=1&page=31. Considerably higher.

Dave Lane
12-28-2009, 06:03 PM
I can definitely tell you. The national geos are the worst bets of the group the others can be crap or gems hard to say till I see a pic. If you want to email pics go to my site and you can get my email there. Better than 200 pics on here.

Dave Lane
12-28-2009, 06:04 PM
Is anyone a fan of the original British version of Cash in the Attic? I love that show.

I did 3 appraisals for them on that show. I always like getting a call from the from the English chick over there. She just sounded hot.

Dave Lane
12-28-2009, 06:09 PM
It's the Mercury astronauts. Carpenter, Cooper, Glenn, Grissom, Shepard, Slayton, Schirra.

I see prices all over the board, and they seem to vary by whether the autographs are all there, Grissom's is present, whether they're on a photograph or not, and probably some other stuff. Mine seems to have every desirable trait and I've only seen two like it. The first was on sale on ebay for $5,000 minimum bid, and the second one is here: http://www.historyforsale.com/html/prodetails.asp?documentid=264267&start=1&page=31. Considerably higher.

The market for autographs is really hard. I originally put 800-$1000 but changed my mind. There is about a 3000% markup on autographs. I had one of the coolest autograph books even had 200 or so autographs from Bing Crosby, Charlie Chaplin, Oliver Hardy the Tinman (Jack Haley) and tons of other famous guys and got $800 for it on Ebay. The guy that bought it probably parted out the signatures in a fancy frame to retail guppies for $10,000. I'm guessing REAL sell it on Ebay value not what someone is asking for it. But I could be wrong.

Iowanian
12-28-2009, 06:39 PM
a couple of examples of my cache...

I know they're prints, Renois, Rembrandt etc...

Micjones
12-28-2009, 06:41 PM
Am I the only person wondering why you're even watching ARS?

Okay, okay... I watch it from time-to-time at 2am when I can't sleep.
Can't lie about that.

Iowanian
12-28-2009, 06:41 PM
a friend tested and its not diamonds. can't remember the brand name, but it was higher end. He thought around 150 on ebay, curious if he's a dumbass.Ugly as hell, but sometimes that seems to make stuff "cool".

Iowanian
12-28-2009, 06:46 PM
I've got piles of stuff like this....old maps like 1940's NYC, travel pamphlets, match books, pins...all kinds of that stuff. I'm curious if there is any value to this type of stuff. I can post pics of the foreign stuff if it is useful.

I know a guy who has one of Goerings photo albums, taken by a WWII Airborne soldier....pics of Goering and Hitler holding babies, birthday parties, Christenings..creapy as hell.

My brother in laws family have a house full of furniture from the 15-1600s, with lists of the family members who have owned them and years...Its neat stuff.

Dave Lane
12-28-2009, 07:11 PM
I've got piles of stuff like this....old maps like 1940's NYC, travel pamphlets, match books, pins...all kinds of that stuff. I'm curious if there is any value to this type of stuff. I can post pics of the foreign stuff if it is useful.

I know a guy who has one of Goerings photo albums, taken by a WWII Airborne soldier....pics of Goering and Hitler holding babies, birthday parties, Christenings..creapy as hell.

My brother in laws family have a house full of furniture from the 15-1600s, with lists of the family members who have owned them and years...Its neat stuff.

The album is huge money, depending on the number of pics and if they have never been published. Could be 10's of thousand depending on those factors.

This is your best group. Should be a few hundred $ but unsure how many of these there are total. Most the "cool" pieces are $20 each kinda range. Some could be even more.

Dave Lane
12-28-2009, 07:14 PM
a friend tested and its not diamonds. can't remember the brand name, but it was higher end. He thought around 150 on ebay, curious if he's a dumbass.Ugly as hell, but sometimes that seems to make stuff "cool".

Look at the name on the back. It will be like Monet, Coro, Trifari , or some such name. Costume jewelry is all about the maker. Use a magnifying glass if you need to. Most is pretty low value and I find this set pretty ugly personally.

Dave Lane
12-28-2009, 07:16 PM
a couple of examples of my cache...

I know they're prints, Renois, Rembrandt etc...

Nothing here, just old master reprints. Decorative value only. "Art Prints" ie signed in pencil by the artist (and even better if numbered) are going to be the best things to find in the print market.

Crush
12-28-2009, 07:36 PM
I did 3 appraisals for them on that show. I always like getting a call from the from the English chick over there. She just sounded hot.

That is pretty damn cool. Lorne Spicer was quite hittable when she was on the show.

Extra Point
12-28-2009, 07:47 PM
Autographed 7 X 9 Photo of Will Rogers taken by Spuir LA? $100?

Dave Lane
12-28-2009, 08:00 PM

Lots of these autographed items are so tough. Is it an original signature? Is it a unique picture or just one he mailed out for requests? Was it an auto pen or secretary signing for him?

Lots of range on all of these because of the factors above.

Extra Point
12-28-2009, 08:02 PM
His ink.

Sincerely

Rogers

kstater
12-28-2009, 08:10 PM
http://pictures.sprintpcs.com//mmps/RECIPIENT/005_10799a33c7817088_1/2?inviteToken=LEDrPg8omh7wkhO8khCQ&limitsize=258,258&outquality=90&squareoutput=255,255,255&ext=.jpg&iconifyVideo=true&wm=1

It says Gibson on the back.

Dave Lane
12-28-2009, 09:22 PM

If real I'd guess more like $200-300. Maybe even more if the picture is a candid type shot.

Dave Lane
12-28-2009, 09:25 PM
http://pictures.sprintpcs.com//mmps/RECIPIENT/005_10799a33c7817088_1/2?inviteToken=LEDrPg8omh7wkhO8khCQ&limitsize=258,258&outquality=90&squareoutput=255,255,255&ext=.jpg&iconifyVideo=true&wm=1

It says Gibson on the back.

Probably Gibson silver Plate may say something like quadruple plate on the back. Unless its sterling and it would be marked as such feel free to eat with it. If Sterling probably $20 or so.

Iowanian
12-28-2009, 10:38 PM
The album is huge money, depending on the number of pics and if they have never been published. Could be 10's of thousand depending on those factors.

This is your best group. Should be a few hundred $ but unsure how many of these there are total. Most the "cool" pieces are $20 each kinda range. Some could be even more.

I doubt the photos in that album have been viewed by 100 people. I wish it were mine for several reasons, but knew I was holding a mint when I saw it. I don't know how many pics, but at least 100-150.

So the life long travel literature, maps, pamphlets and whatnot is the most valuable of the lot. I didn't know if any of it was, but its nice to have some input.

The book is probably 8" thick, so I'd guess there are at least a couple of hundred items, with quite a bit of variety, but common themes in the types of items collected. Alot of Americana but quite a bit from Europe. The next question would be, what is the best way to vend such items? 1 collector? ebay? Is there a shop/place/collector you'd recommend?

I'll offer the NG to the local history teacher and the prints to the art teacher. Thanks for the input.

88TG88
12-28-2009, 10:55 PM
My Ethan Horton rookie card is worth more than any of those crappy antiques.

notorious
12-28-2009, 11:07 PM
What about a 1941 (Pre-WWII) Blue Jacket Manual Mint and a 1945 Blue Jacket Manual Mint?

Dave Lane
12-28-2009, 11:08 PM
Am I the only person wondering why you're even watching ARS?

Okay, okay... I watch it from time-to-time at 2am when I can't sleep.
Can't lie about that.

Tivo is my friend

Dave Lane
12-28-2009, 11:09 PM
What about a 1941 (Pre-WWII) Blue Jacket Manual Mint and a 1945 Blue Jacket Manual Mint?

Are you talking dress blues like Marines? A set or just the jacket? Any insignia? rank? medals? makers name on label? Certainty of date?

Gracie Dean
12-28-2009, 11:11 PM
I have a dish given to my daughter from my mom passed down several generations. It was originally a wedding gift to my moms grandmother so it has to be from at least the 1850's I don't ever want her to get rid of it, but I am curious as to its value

KcMizzou
12-28-2009, 11:11 PM
I'll admit to enjoying Antiques Road Show. It's pretty damned interesting.

Pawn Stars is good too. It's basically the same thing... they just jazzed it up a bit.

notorious
12-28-2009, 11:12 PM
Are you talking dress blues like Marines? A set or just the jacket? Any insignia? rank? medals? makers name on label? Certainty of date?

Sorry, the actual Navy Handbooks.

We also have some intelligence maps and photos before Iwo Jima invasion. Those are not for sale :)

My Grandpa must have seen some terrible things.

Dave Lane
12-28-2009, 11:13 PM
I have a dish given to my daughter from my mom passed down several generations. It was originally a wedding gift to my moms grandmother so it has to be from at least the 1850's I don't ever want her to get rid of it, but I am curious as to its value

Send me or post a pic front and back or at least the front and ANYTHING it says on the back and I can give you some clues

notorious
12-28-2009, 11:17 PM
Whoa, I just pulled the Bluejackets Manuals out to look at them and they are actually 1940 and 1944.

It's been a while LOL.

Really cool stuff, it shows photos of the ships in service and a lot of info you would need to know to be in the NAVY.

Gracie Dean
12-28-2009, 11:17 PM
Send me or post a pic front and back or at least the front and ANYTHING it says on the back and I can give you some clues

cool, give me a couple days I am just learning my new camera and how to actually move the picts from camera to computer

thanks

Dave Lane
12-28-2009, 11:20 PM
Sorry, the actual Navy Handbooks.

We also have some intelligence maps and photos before Iwo Jima invasion. Those are not for sale :)

My Grandpa must have seen some terrible things.

Opppsss sorry I just saw jacket and well. The later one is fairly low value probably $15-20 the earlier pre war one probably like $40-50 both depending on condition. And yes Iwo Jima was a blood bath. They have much more sentimental value than actual but probably $100 if they were standard navy issued items for the invasion. If he took some action shots you might have some good value in the photos.

notorious
12-28-2009, 11:21 PM
Opppsss sorry I just saw jacket and well. The later one is fairly low value probably $15-20 the earlier pre war one probably like $40-50 both depending on condition. And yes Iwo Jima was a blood bath. They have much more sentimental value than actual but probably $100 if they were standard navy issued items for the invasion. If he took some action shots you might have some good value in the photos.

That is about what I was guessing.

They mean a lot more to me then just about any amount of $$$$.

Thank you, Sir.

TinyEvel
12-28-2009, 11:54 PM
About ten years ago I used to go to the Rose Bowl Swap Meet. It was held every month on the second Sunday of the month. I'd pay the extra five dollars to get in at 5:30 am early admission and literally RUN through the area looking for Evel Knievel stuff, old electronic handheld games and motion beer signs.

I'd also keep my eye out for anything I could sell on eBay (at the time, a fledgling upstart online swap meet)
I came upon a guy with all kinds of random old stuff. He had a Star Trek Enterprise Bridge by Mego and three action figures (Kirk, Spock, and one other guy) the guys had boots and the belts with phasers. I asked him how much he wanted for the three guys, he said 45 bucks, and $30 for the bridge set. I offered $60 for all three plus the bridge. He obliged.

I knew Star Trek Mego was collectible but had no idea wether it was worth a mint or just a tiny bit. I paid the guy $60, then asked him if he had a bag or something to put it in. HE says, "I have this old box." It was a Johnny West Buckboard (carriage) box. Some empty box form a wild west horse carriage.

Well, I got home and cleaned everything up and listed each figure on eBay individually, as well as the bridge set and even the empty box (figuring maybe someone had the carriage and wanted the box for it)
THE FRIGGEN BOX SOLD FOR $60!!! for an empty box!

THe figures sold for about $40 each and the bridge for $30. So I made $150, in 1998 dollars. ROFL

Jenson71
12-29-2009, 12:03 AM
I was told in my Introduction to the Study of History class that we shouldn't like the show because it makes history important only as far as its monetary payback in consumer goods. :/

Dave Lane
12-29-2009, 12:05 AM
Yeah stuffed away in a box of two under the attic are some Mego figures and Johnny west stuff. And boxes are actually more rare than the figures by about a 100 times. Adding a box to a figure can triple the value.

Dave Lane
12-29-2009, 12:05 AM
I was told in my Introduction to the Study of History class that we shouldn't like the show because it makes history important only as far as its monetary payback in consumer goods. :/

Yeah thats the ticket :spock:

big nasty kcnut
12-29-2009, 12:13 AM
I wish ars had hot babes in short skirt doing the apprasing
Posted via Mobile Device

KcMizzou
12-29-2009, 12:14 AM
I wish ars had hot babes in short skirt doing the apprasing
Posted via Mobile DeviceAnd sharks. Needs more sharks.

ClevelandBronco
12-29-2009, 12:20 AM
Roberto Clemente autographed baseball from the opening game at Three Rivers Stadium.

Don't tell me what it's worth. It's not for sale. I'm just bragging.

Cannibal
12-29-2009, 12:22 AM
This was the absolute most crazy scene from the Roadshow I've ever seen.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/wlkYn39i4Fw&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/wlkYn39i4Fw&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

KcMizzou
12-29-2009, 12:28 AM

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/wlkYn39i4Fw&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/wlkYn39i4Fw&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>Wow... never saw that. Very cool.

Cannibal
12-29-2009, 12:28 AM
Yeah, I was happy for that old coot.

mlyonsd
12-29-2009, 06:22 AM

<EMBED height=344 type=application/x-shockwave-flash width=425 src=http://www.youtube.com/v/wlkYn39i4Fw&hl=en_US&fs=1& allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always"></EMBED>

Thanks for posting this.

I've seen the commercial for Road Show this appraisal was made into on PBS dozens of times and still laugh at it. I had always wanted to see the actual appraisal scene and hoped to catch the show it aired on.

Blindside58
01-04-2010, 08:14 PM
Bump! So I am watching tonight and this "Whiskey Tango" Gal brings in 4 Jade Sculptures, nothing bigger than 12" squared, her father brought back from China while he was in the Army in the 30's or 40's. The appraiser proceeds to tell her that the sculptures are $80K for the 1st basic bowl type thingy, $150K -$200K for the 2nd Teapot one, $300K-$400K for an Animal/Lizard sculpture and $400K-$600K for a "Dragon Bowl" made for the Emperor of China! All of the appraisals were conservative and her dad bought them for less than $100 total. Over a million dollars just like that! I would have said SOLD! Where can I pick up my cash?

Blindside58
01-04-2010, 08:27 PM
http://acn.liveauctioneers.com/images/stories/2009_06/2009_0630_antrdshwappraisal.jpg

alanm
01-04-2010, 09:15 PM
I love the show, but any more it seems like it's more about antiques collectors showing off their stuff. It's no longer about people bringing in family treasures to see if they're worth anything.

On tonight's episode, some guy was showing a very basic looking dresser that none of us would pay more than $50 for. The furniture appraiser was all excited about it, and it was from some Philadelphia school that was high value. The guy was acting like he knew nothing about it and just liked it, and was using it as a night stand. It was eventually appraised it at about $4,000 to $6,000. But when they asked him what he paid for it, he said he paid $2,000 about 10 years ago.

Total fraud guy. Liar. There's no way he would pay $2,000 for that dresser if he didn't know what it was. And he's standing there trying to act like he had no idea. Liar.

Then the next guy comes up with a piece of pottery that he bought at a garage sale. Kind of ugly Indian pottery. After they talk about it for a while, the guy says, "So would you call this Redware?" I don't know what Redware is, but the expert kind of curtly said yes, it's Redware. I contend that your normal pottery buyer at a garage sale doesn't know what Redware is.Their bringing in ringers?

C-Mac
01-04-2010, 09:45 PM
http://mentalfloss.cachefly.net/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/brian-regan.jpg

Brian Regan Antiques Road Show Skit (http://comedians.jokes.com/brian-regan/videos/brian-regan---antiques-roadshow)

Funny stuff....

JD10367
01-04-2010, 09:47 PM
I knew the jade stuff was gonna be worth big bucks when he said it was 18th century.

And the pattern now is that the last item appraised (usually around the :48 minute mark) is worth the most.

Rain Man
01-04-2010, 09:55 PM
Roberto Clemente autographed baseball from the opening game at Three Rivers Stadium.

Don't tell me what it's worth. It's not for sale. I'm just bragging.

Was it autographed before or after he died? The later ones are far more valuable.

Rain Man
01-04-2010, 09:58 PM
Bump! So I am watching tonight and this "Whiskey Tango" Gal brings in 4 Jade Sculptures, nothing bigger than 12" squared, her father brought back from China while he was in the Army in the 30's or 40's. The appraiser proceeds to tell her that the sculptures are $80K for the 1st basic bowl type thingy, $150K -$200K for the 2nd Teapot one, $300K-$400K for an Animal/Lizard sculpture and $400K-$600K for a "Dragon Bowl" made for the Emperor of China! All of the appraisals were conservative and her dad bought them for less than $100 total. Over a million dollars just like that! I would have said SOLD! Where can I pick up my cash?

Holy freaking cow.

I saw the one where the guy had the conquistador helmet that was something like a half million dollars, and that was the one where it was later revealed that the guy was a ringer. I can't remember if ARS was in on it or if it was a dealer who was trying to get publicity, but there was some sort of scandal involved in it.

Rain Man
01-04-2010, 10:12 PM
How can you even tell how old jade is? It's a rock.

Kyle DeLexus
01-04-2010, 10:49 PM
You know what I hate about Iron Chef? They give these guys 1 hour then they get all up in their grills ( ROFL ) and then expect them to answer all their questions and carry on a conversation with them. I would have to tell them to leave me alone i'm trying to cook a gourmet meal in one hour!

googlegoogle
01-05-2010, 03:32 AM

<object height="344" width="425">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/wlkYn39i4Fw&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" height="344" width="425"></object>

Ultranothing (http://www.youtube.com/user/Ultranothing) (1 month ago) Show Hide
Marked as spam Reply

I'm sorry it's taken so long to respond to your comment, but I just came across it. You were wondering hat had happened to the blanket and the guy who owned it:

I read an article about it from PBS. The Antiques Roadshow had a segment on their site called "Follow the story" about Ken, his wife, and the blanket. I haven't been able to find it since, but from what I can recall, they sold it to a museum for close to $700k and purchased their retirement home. It was a really touching story.

TigerPig
01-05-2010, 03:35 AM
http://acn.liveauctioneers.com/images/stories/2009_06/2009_0630_antrdshwappraisal.jpg

Someone needs to caption this, "EPIC WIN!"

googlegoogle
01-05-2010, 04:12 AM
LOL

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/C44k_OvkGNw&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/C44k_OvkGNw&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Cannibal
01-05-2010, 08:32 AM
Ultranothing (http://www.youtube.com/user/Ultranothing) (1 month ago) Show Hide
Marked as spam Reply

I'm sorry it's taken so long to respond to your comment, but I just came across it. You were wondering hat had happened to the blanket and the guy who owned it:

I read an article about it from PBS. The Antiques Roadshow had a segment on their site called "Follow the story" about Ken, his wife, and the blanket. I haven't been able to find it since, but from what I can recall, they sold it to a museum for close to $700k and purchased their retirement home. It was a really touching story.

Really cool.

TrebMaxx
01-05-2010, 09:05 AM

I watched this show last night. I liked when after the guy told her the total worth of all four pieces, her response was "Damn".

Dave Lane
01-05-2010, 09:07 AM
How can you even tell how old jade is? It's a rock.

You can tell by the tool marks and attention to detail. In those days the artisans of the court had nothing else they were doing so if a jade vessel to 6 months to make it took 6 months. Now if some one spends 6 hours its a miracle. The difference can be seen but its subtle.

Dave Lane
01-05-2010, 09:10 AM
LOL

Its only worth $5 or so no big loss. But still funny