PDA

View Full Version : Football Leach suspended for bowl game.

kstater
12-28-2009, 04:56 PM
Fixing to get Manginoed.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/bowls09/news/story?id=4776848
Leach suspended after player complaint
<cite class="source">
</cite>

<!-- end mod-article-title --> <!-- begin story body --> <!-- template inline -->LUBBOCK, Texas -- Texas Tech (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/clubhouse?teamId=2641) coach Mike Leach has been suspended while the school investigates complaints from a player and his family about treatment after an injury.
The school said in a release Monday defensive coordinator Ruffin McNeill will be the interim coach and lead the team in the Valero Alamo Bowl on Jan. 2 against Michigan State (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/clubhouse?teamId=127).

(http://espn.go.com/blog/ncfnation)

McNeill will remain in charge of the team until the investigation is complete.
Sources told ESPN's Joe Schad that the parents felt the player endured harsh treatment because he was unable to practice after an injury.
The Red Raiders went 8-4 this season.
Leach did not immediately return a call or a text message from The Associated Press seeking comment. A message left on McNeill's cell phone was not immediately returned.

There's been internal strife this season with the Red Raiders and Leach has resorted to some tongue-lashing.
He chastised players after a loss to Texas A&M in October for listening to "their fat little girlfriends," and thinking the Aggies were a pushover. And after the Red Raiders' loss at then-No. 12 Houston in September, Leach suspended indefinitely starting offensive lineman Brandon Carter for violating team rules.

The loss to the Cougars was the second straight for the Red Raiders, who had fallen 34-24 at No. 2 Texas in an early Big 12 matchup. This season is the first since 2002 -- Leach's third season -- that the Red Raiders dropped two of their first four games.
That same week Leach banned his players from having Twitter pages after linebacker Marlon Williams asked on his account why he was still in a meeting room when "the head coach can't even be on time."

ArrowheadHawk
12-28-2009, 04:59 PM
A little late to replace the coach don't ya think.

Buehler445
12-28-2009, 07:27 PM
LOL. Leach is a freak show.

sodcat
12-28-2009, 07:29 PM
Pretty soon they will all be holding hands on the side lines....

KcMizzou
12-28-2009, 07:38 PM
Apparently the kid in question is Craig James' son.

Supposedly he had a concussion, and Leach locked him in a closet.

alanm
12-28-2009, 08:36 PM

Supposedly he had a concussion, and Leach locked him in a closet.I guess Texas Tech will be looking for a coach soon if that is indeed what happened. I can't imagine what reason there would be for locking a kid in a closet.

Frazod
12-28-2009, 08:40 PM
I guess Texas Tech will be looking for a coach soon if that is indeed what happened. I can't imagine what reason there would be for locking a kid in a closet.

Wouldn't it be ironic if they replaced him with Mangino?

KcMizzou
12-28-2009, 08:41 PM
I guess Texas Tech will be looking for a coach soon if that is indeed what happened. I can't imagine what reason there would be for locking a kid in a closet.Oddly enough, my Jr high football coach/gym teacher got fired for the same thing.

Sure-Oz
12-28-2009, 08:43 PM

Supposedly he had a concussion, and Leach locked him in a closet.

Craig James might just beat Leach's ass

KcMizzou
12-28-2009, 08:46 PM
Mike Leach suspended for allegedly 'isolating' Craig James' concussed son in electrical closet

By Matt Hinton

Six days before the team closes its season in the Alamo Bowl, the game has become the least of Texas Tech's worries, which began this afternoon with a mysterious report from the university that coach Mike Leach wouldn't be on the sideline due to an investigation into alleged mistreatment of a player:

The school said in a release Monday defensive coordinator Ruffin McNeill will be the interim coach and lead the team in the Alamo Bowl on Jan. 2 against Michigan State.

McNeill will remain in charge of the team until the investigation is complete.

The official release from the university doesn't shed much light. ESPN reporter Joe Schad, however, gets more specific on his Twitter feed: "Mike Leach is alleged to have isolated a player in a dark closet for not practicing with a concussion." That player, we soon learned, is wide receiver Adam James, son of ex-SMU star and current ESPN analyst Craig James, who reported to Texas Tech "with great regret and after consideration" that "[his] son had been subjected to actions and treatment not consistent with common sense rules for safety and health," according to a release by the family. Specific allegations include confining Adam James to an equipment room for three hours when he was unable to practice and instructing a trainer to "place James in an electrical closet." An attorney for Leach (who also has his own law degree) admitted James was secluded on two occasions, but "the circumstances were not as portrayed by the James family."

Oh: By the way, Craig James was scheduled to call the Alamo Bowl for ESPN on Jan. 2, where his and his son's beef with Leach will be the hottest story throughout the broadcast; predictably, that assignment has been scuttled.

From Leach's perspective, the important word is alleged; an accusation by a disgruntled player can fall apart in a hurry when people start digging into the facts. It doesn't help Leach, though, that the quirky, freewheeling persona that's made him such a crowd (and blogger) favorite over the years also makes him a logical candidate to step over the line. We already know he's no stranger to creative punishment, and with the recent deluge of information about the debilitating long-term effects of concussions, anything in the vicinity of "isolating a player in a closet" for refusing to put himself at risk could qualify as a firing offense. And a complaint by a well-connected football lifer like Craig James is unlikely to come up empty.

Not that anyone is particularly looking to kick Leach to the curb the way so many people in Kansas seemed anxious to be rid of the infamously sour and temperamental coach Mark Mangino earlier this year, when a complaint by a current player in the midst of a losing streak sparked an investigation that opened the floodgates for a parade of ex-players and parents to air their grievances and force Mangino's ouster. Aside from some contentious contract negotiations, Leach is a generally beloved figure around Lubbock, one of the game's few genuinely unique characters and the most successful coach in Tech history to boot; the Raiders' first obvious regression on the field in his tenure this fall -- from a breakout 11-2 finish in 2008 to a relatively mediocre 8-4 in '09 -- isn't going to change that. If James' charge has legs, though, all the wins, passing records, primetime cameos and fawning national profiles may not be enough to save the Cap'n this time.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/blog/dr_saturday/post/Mike-Leach-suspended-for-allegedly-isolating-C?urn=ncaaf,211027

Easy 6
12-28-2009, 08:50 PM
Craig James might just beat Leach's ass

Thats def i how i would feel... 'you, you locked my kid in a closet for 3 hours because he had a concussion?... SMASH!'

Take the rap, bail out, pay the fine & do some community service... it would be well worth it.

Extra Point
12-28-2009, 08:50 PM
How this plays out is gonna be interesting......

KcMizzou
12-28-2009, 08:51 PM
He sure chose the wrong guy's kid to pick on...

luv
12-28-2009, 09:03 PM
Um, what's the point of locking him in a closet?

KcMizzou
12-28-2009, 09:06 PM
Um, what's the point of locking him in a closet?Humiliation, I guess.

Brock
12-28-2009, 09:07 PM
Keeping him away from his fat little girlfriend.

KcMizzou
12-28-2009, 09:08 PM
Keeping him away from his fat little girlfriend.LMAO or that.

Extra Point
12-28-2009, 09:10 PM
Leach is going to put his JD to work, and sue the school, the James family, and ESPN. I don't buy for a minute that Leach would lock any kid in a closet. He probably told James he was confined to the hot tub, and the James kid was delusional. Corroborating witnesses will probably prove that.

But who knows?

alanm
12-28-2009, 09:26 PM
Oddly enough, my Jr high football coach/gym teacher got fired for the same thing.I wonder if being fired for cause voids any money owed to him?
I know he wanted out of there but something like this isn't going to get him a better job.

Reerun_KC
12-28-2009, 10:06 PM
What is the deal with the Stoops coaching tree being a bag of dicks?

sportsman1
12-29-2009, 01:47 AM
Tech Student here. News is out now that Leach's lawyer is trying to get the suspension lifted.

Huge Mike Leach supporter, and ticket holder to the Alamo Bowl. The University runs things like kindergartners on crack. This is quite insulting to those of us spending large amounts of money to support the team this weekend in San Antone.

Icon
12-29-2009, 08:08 AM
I recall hearing Leach's response to a question about Mangino's situation before Jabba Mangino "resigned". Leach said it sounded like KU was on a witch hunt. Two peas from the same pod/

mikeyis4dcats.
12-29-2009, 09:00 AM
Leach is going to put his JD to work, and sue the school, the James family, and ESPN. I don't buy for a minute that Leach would lock any kid in a closet. He probably told James he was confined to the hot tub, and the James kid was delusional. Corroborating witnesses will probably prove that.

But who knows?

Leach's own lawyer apparently admitted the closet bit is true...

patteeu
12-29-2009, 09:09 AM
I guess Texas Tech will be looking for a coach soon if that is indeed what happened. I can't imagine what reason there would be for locking a kid in a closet.

College athletes are pretty big these days. The lockers were probably too small.

Sam Hall
12-29-2009, 10:25 AM
I can't believe the people who have defended Mangino and Leach. Get off your high horse and stop accusing the players of being wusses. Leach needs to get his ass run out of town. Some of these college coaches are abusing their power.

vailpass
12-29-2009, 11:06 AM
Tech Student here. News is out now that Leach's lawyer is trying to get the suspension lifted.

Huge Mike Leach supporter, and ticket holder to the Alamo Bowl. The University runs things like kindergartners on crack. This is quite insulting to those of us spending large amounts of money to support the team this weekend in San Antone.

1. Better get used to the idea of having a new coach next year
2. Craig James could give a shit if you are insulted
3. Alamo bowl? San Antonio? You might as well stop in Austin and watch the game on TV. At least then you'll be in a cool place.

B_Ambuehl
12-29-2009, 11:34 AM
It was probably something that was said in jest and taken entirely out of context that the James family decided to pursue as a payback for lack of playing time. Leach walks in and says to the trainers, "Can he practice?" Trainers say, "He may have had a concussion yesterday" Leach shakes his head as he walks off saying, "Might as well leave his ass in the closet". Trainers let lie down in a standard 10 x 10 treatment room while everybody else goes to practice.

There are a lot of things said and done in football that the general public goes hog wild on when taken literally. The LJ incident was another good example.

Skip Towne
12-29-2009, 11:47 AM
What is the deal with the Stoops coaching tree being a bag of dicks?

It all started at KSU.

Hydrae
12-29-2009, 12:04 PM
1. Better get used to the idea of having a new coach next year
2. Craig James could give a shit if you are insulted
3. Alamo bowl? San Antonio? You might as well stop in Austin and watch the game on TV. At least then you'll be in a cool place.

He goes to school in Lubbock, San Antonio will seem like paradise!

mikeyis4dcats.
12-29-2009, 12:05 PM
It all started at KSU.

sure it did....keep dreaming

vailpass
12-29-2009, 12:47 PM
He goes to school in Lubbock, San Antonio will seem like paradise!

:D Oh my. Do people go there by choice or are they drafted?

Royal Fanatic
12-29-2009, 01:18 PM

But who knows?

It was probably something that was said in jest and taken entirely out of context that the James family decided to pursue as a payback for lack of playing time. Leach walks in and says to the trainers, "Can he practice?" Trainers say, "He may have had a concussion yesterday" Leach shakes his head as he walks off saying, "Might as well leave his ass in the closet". Trainers let lie down in a standard 10 x 10 treatment room while everybody else goes to practice.

There are a lot of things said and done in football that the general public goes hog wild on when taken literally. The LJ incident was another good example.
WTF? Is Mike Leach posting on this board under two different user names?

I say let the investigation determine what actually happened. It shouldn't be difficult, as there are apparently plenty of witnesses. If the charges turn out to be true, then fire his ass. But you don't just dismiss it with "I don't buy it for a minute" or "it was probably something said in jest".

Leach is lucky Craig James hasn't already knocked him out.

B_Ambuehl
12-29-2009, 02:02 PM
I don't buy it because I've played sports and been around a lot of coaches and have a good idea how they operate. Based on this from his attorney (via sporting news) it sounds like what happened is fairly close to what I descrbied above:

Leach's attorney, Ted Liggett, disputed the account. "Adam James claimed to have been hurt, was examined, and diagnosed with a mild concussion", Liggett told the AP. "I believe that James was a disgruntled student athlete that like many were not happy with their playing time", Liggett said. He told ESPN.com that, "James was placed in an equipment room as it was much cooler and darker than the practice field." The second time, "James was placed in a press room with air conditioning and a stationary bike he could use."

vailpass
12-29-2009, 02:06 PM
I don't buy it because I've played sports and been around a lot of coaches and have a good idea how they operate. Based on this from his attorney (via sporting news) it sounds like what happened is fairly close to what I descrbied above:

So Leach's defense attorney says Leach isn't guilty? Well hell let's drop all charges immediately. :)

sportsman1
12-29-2009, 09:25 PM
:D Oh my. Do people go there by choice or are they drafted?

Aggie, or Longhorn? Which do you claim?

vailpass
12-29-2009, 09:28 PM
Aggie, or Longhorn? Which do you claim?

Neither one bud, just playing around. Although I do get to Austin a couple times a year to visit my father-in-law ( I live in Phoenix) and it is one of my favorite cities in the world.
Have a good time at the Alamo Bowl.

sportsman1
12-29-2009, 11:19 PM
Ok fair enough. All of this stuff has us (Techsans) quite defensive. Phoenix is great. I enjoyed spring training this year.. too bad the Royal's blew lol.

verbaljitsu
12-29-2009, 11:52 PM
I listened to Leach's lawyer on Outside The Lines this afternoon, and he sounded like a bumbling idiot. I was probably in the "this might be getting blown out of proportion camp" before, but after hearing Mr. Liggett stammer around, I think I'm ready to switch.

BWillie
12-30-2009, 12:12 AM
I listened to Leach's lawyer on Outside The Lines this afternoon, and he sounded like a bumbling idiot. I was probably in the "this might be getting blown out of proportion camp" before, but after hearing Mr. Liggett stammer around, I think I'm ready to switch.

What difference does it make if his attorney could speak eloquently or not?

jettio
12-30-2009, 12:14 AM

I think it will be real hard to get a restraining order to bar a university from suspending its coach for one game. Leach would have to prove that he would suffer an irreparable harm if the game was played without him.

Texas Tech's lawyer could say to the judge that Texas Tech hired Bobby Knight after he was suspended and fired from Indiana, so why would Leach suffer an irreparable harm, since he will more than likely be able to find another job and he could, theoretically, win a money judgment against Texas Tech if they have violated any of his legal rights under the contract or employment law.

But, you never know the judge might have a sense of humor or adventure.

Seems like it would be an awkward situation if Leach gets the order and coaches the game.

chefsos
12-30-2009, 12:05 PM
Fired.

rageeumr
12-30-2009, 12:18 PM
I wonder if being fired for cause voids any money owed to him?
I know he wanted out of there but something like this isn't going to get him a better job.

I heard on the radio yesterday that if he was still employed on Jan 1 they owed him an $800,000 bonus, and they were speculating that it could lead to a swift decision by the university. Apparently that was the case.

They also noted that if fired, Leach would be entitled to $400,000/yr for the remainder of the contract (I believe it's through 2013).

vailpass
12-30-2009, 01:13 PM
Ok fair enough. All of this stuff has us (Techsans) quite defensive. Phoenix is great. I enjoyed spring training this year.. too bad the Royal's blew lol.

Looks like the excrement has struck the rotating cooling device. Any word on who is the top candidate to replace Leach? Will James be a Techy next year?