PDA

View Full Version : Life My virtual run across America, and a business idea.

Rain Man
12-29-2009, 01:58 PM
So I'm getting over my little knee problem and have started running again, and I thought it'd be cool to plot my progress on a map of the U.S., running across the country. I've always thought it would be cool to walk across the U.S., but I can't figure out how to get my work done in that scenario, so this is my fallback.

And then I thought, "Hmm, this is a pretty good idea for a website. If I started a website, could I get enough people to sell some advertising and stuff and maybe make some money?"

So I went out looking to see if it's already out there. The concept isn't overly innovative, so I see a fair amount of sites out there that talk about it, but they all seem to be pretty lame. Here's a map, print it, color in your progress with a crayon kind of stuff.

What I'd like is a web site where you plot your progress and then see a google maps street view of your location, and then a virtual tour of towns that you walk through, and an atlas so you can pick your route as you go, and an interactive map so you can plot your route. That doesn't exist.

Is there money in this? What's the revenue model? Any web designers out there who would want to collaborate on this?

In my 15 minutes of looking, I found one web site that's actually kind of close, though it's still basic. http://exercise.lbl.gov/index.html is a federal government site, and they do the street view pictures, which is pretty cool, and the online log. However, they only give you one route, an inexplicable Yorktown, Virginia, to Florence, Oregon, route, and you can't vary from that. Also, you don't get local information along your route as far as I can tell.

I signed up for it, though, since it's the best option out there, and am now 11 miles into my journey. I've left Yorktown and am now on this nice road about 2 miles from Williamsburg. Anyone else want to wander along?

http://exercise.lbl.gov/TrailPointImage?pt_id=52

Dave Lane
12-29-2009, 02:11 PM
I think that idea would rock. I think you could make more than you make now if it were done right. I'm not sure Google earth street view has country roads but if it did it would be cool as hell.

JohninGpt
12-29-2009, 02:17 PM
So you need a treadmill with a monitor that shows google earth street view and handlebars to steer.
I bet there are software geeks out there that could make that happen.

ziggysocki
12-29-2009, 02:18 PM
Im in... signing up now.

ziggysocki
12-29-2009, 02:22 PM
Site is slooooooooooooow

Bearcat
12-29-2009, 02:23 PM
I've seen stuff like this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cT_w8_jgyy8), and I've wondered if Google is working on a feature of Maps that will let you see a route in Street View in a "drive the route" sort of way, with only a couple of clicks.

I created a Google Map a couple of weeks ago that outlined a trip to Rome, and even though you can click on certain spots in Street View, it would be cool to virtually take the same tour.

Rain Man
12-29-2009, 02:24 PM
Im in... signing up now.

I don't know how the team/partner stuff works, but if you want to try it I'm #59102. Otherwise, I'm fine to just track progress separately.

I'm doing both running and walking, and counting only my "avoidable" walking, which is pretty much just my walks to and from work.

Rain Man
12-29-2009, 02:26 PM
So you need a treadmill with a monitor that shows google earth street view and handlebars to steer.
I bet there are software geeks out there that could make that happen.

I'm thinking simpler, so more people could do it. Just put in your mileage each time and it'll plot where you're at and what you're near.

Rain Man
12-29-2009, 02:26 PM
I've seen stuff like this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cT_w8_jgyy8), and I've wondered if Google is working on a feature of Maps that will let you see a route in Street View in a "drive the route" sort of way, with only a couple of clicks.

I created a Google Map a couple of weeks ago that outlined a trip to Rome, and even though you can click on certain spots in Street View, it would be cool to virtually take the same tour.

I don't get it. It looked like it was just a video. Am I missing something?

ziggysocki
12-29-2009, 02:29 PM
I don't know how the team/partner stuff works, but if you want to try it I'm #59102. Otherwise, I'm fine to just track progress separately.

I'm doing both running and walking, and counting only my "avoidable" walking, which is pretty much just my walks to and from work.

Sounds good. I am trying to partner up now, that site is kinda slow I am 59131.

What day did your 11 miles start? Not to be competitive, but I don't wanna give you a head start. :D

Rain Man
12-29-2009, 02:42 PM
Sounds good. I am trying to partner up now, that site is kinda slow I am 59131.

What day did your 11 miles start? Not to be to competitive, but I don't wanna give you a head start. :D

I started on the 27th. They give you the option to select running partners, but then say something like "Mileage will be reset so you're in the same position." That can't be right, because it was giving me the option to pick anybody in the country and I think it would annoy some random stranger with 2,000 miles if I reset them. So I was kind of befuddled about that. I have no idea what will happen.

I have a feeling you'll pass me pretty quick, though, which again makes me wonder what the partner function is useful for. Probably worth experimenting with at this young stage, though.

Bearcat
12-29-2009, 02:42 PM
I don't get it. It looked like it was just a video. Am I missing something?

It's a stream of pictures from Google Maps Street View. Someone took each picture of the path and put them all together to make it look like someone was taking a video.

Here's another one...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QU8h7wVUoQE&feature=related

rageeumr
12-29-2009, 02:55 PM
Seems cool... I'll go sign up. I've begun Spring Marathon training, so I should be able to make pretty decent progress.

tooge
12-29-2009, 02:56 PM
I've gotta take a dump on my run. Any churches or hospitals in the area? gotta know fast!

rageeumr
12-29-2009, 03:06 PM
OK all signed up. 59136. I added you both. Hopefully I didn't eff up your mileage, Rain Man.

Man I really hope it doesn't take as long to log runs as it does to add partners. I'll spend more time logging than running.

rageeumr
12-29-2009, 03:16 PM
Oh, and my suggestion for the site would be to combine something like this with a powerful training log. People aren't going to want to log their mileage twice, so combining the mapping aspect with a useful log is important, IMO.

I use Runner's World log, but really I just picked it because it was the first place I looked for one. It does its job of tracking when I ran and how far, but a bit more statistical analysis would be cool. They obviously have places to enter date, distance and pace, but there are also boxes for weather type, temperature, time of day, amount of effort required, etc. But you have to do your own cross-referencing to get any worthwhile information. I'd like to click a button and see what my average pace is when it's 50 degrees and compare it to my average pace when it's 80, for example. There are sites that do that kind of thing, but I'm too lazy to transfer all of my data.

Also, an easy creation of logs or progress bars to embed or link to (like for a CP signature or a Facebook update) would be awesome. I'm starting to get a little detailed, I suppose.

Rain Man
12-29-2009, 03:28 PM
I'll try to sign you both up as partners, but for some reason it's not letting me go to the "choose partners" tab. I'll try again after a restart.

Dang government low-bid work.

ziggysocki
12-29-2009, 03:34 PM
I made a team called ChiefsPlaneteers. Try and join the team!

mlyonsd
12-29-2009, 03:39 PM
So I'm getting over my little knee problem and have started running again,

What did you do to your knee?

I ask because I average running about 10 miles a week on my treadmill and I did something to my knee a couple of weeks ago on a Bowflex. It's swollen in the back, cracks, pops, and every once in a while when I step it feels like it wants to give out. More annoying than anything but I've been resting it for about a week and am wondering when I should bite the bullet and have it looked at.

I'm 49 btw and have never had a knee problem like this. Ticking me off and I'm getting lazy.

ziggysocki
12-29-2009, 03:39 PM
For daily logging, I use my Garmin forerunner 405. It is awesome. tracks all useful stats and uploads it to my garmin connect website. You can even link your activities (splits and all) to social networking profiles, twitter, etc. Here was my activity for the KC marathon back in October. I HIGHLY recommend them to anyone doing any serious long distance running, hiking, walking, biking, canoeing.. whatever. But then again, I am a data junkie, so maybe it is just me http://connect.garmin.com/activity/16672187

rageeumr
12-29-2009, 03:47 PM
For daily logging, I use my Garmin forerunner 405. It is awesome. tracks all useful stats and uploads it to my garmin connect website. You can even link your activities (splits and all) to social networking profiles, twitter, etc. Here was my activity for the KC marathon back in October. I HIGHLY recommend them to anyone doing any serious long distance running, hiking, walking, biking, canoeing.. whatever. But then again, I am a data junkie, so maybe it is just me http://connect.garmin.com/activity/16672187

I have a 305. I always liked the graphs that the Garmin Training Center software would create, but data analysis was still tedious. Plus it didn't keep track of my treadmill runs. I avoid the treadmill like the plague, but some days you just can't get around it. I did 3 miles in the snow yesterday, and I can't imagine going much further than that.

To be honest, I didn't even know this GarminConnect website existed. I'll have to give it a shot.

rageeumr
12-29-2009, 03:57 PM
I made a team called ChiefsPlaneteers. Try and join the team!

Unless I'm missing something, I think you need to add us to the team. I can't seem to find anywhere to join a team. I put the team name in and clicked "create", assuming I would join or get an error, but it just let me create a new team with the same name.

Rain Man
12-29-2009, 03:58 PM

I ask because I average running about 10 miles a week on my treadmill and I did something to my knee a couple of weeks ago on a Bowflex. It's swollen in the back, cracks, pops, and every once in a while when I step it feels like it wants to give out. More annoying than anything but I've been resting it for about a week and am wondering when I should bite the bullet and have it looked at.

I'm 49 btw and have never had a knee problem like this. Ticking me off and I'm getting lazy.

Just tedonitis for me. It had been bothering me, and then went from there to outright bad pain. I had to stop doing anything for about a month for it to go away.

I have no idea what would've happened to yours. Swollen in the back?

ziggysocki
12-29-2009, 03:58 PM
Honestly, I am not sure... although a great idea, this government website has the performance of a one legged donkey that fell out of an aids tree

Rain Man
12-29-2009, 04:02 PM
Okay, I've got you guys as partners. I'm not sure what happens now, but we'll see. I didn't get any notification when you added me, so maybe running partners are invisible to each other?

And yeah, can you add us to the team? I tried to create a team with the same name to see if it would join me up, but I get an error that says "no teams defined".

ziggysocki
12-29-2009, 04:02 PM
I have a 305. I always liked the graphs that the Garmin Training Center software would create, but data analysis was still tedious. Plus it didn't keep track of my treadmill runs. I avoid the treadmill like the plague, but some days you just can't get around it. I did 3 miles in the snow yesterday, and I can't imagine going much further than that.

To be honest, I didn't even know this GarminConnect website existed. I'll have to give it a shot.

I would rather run 10 miles on snow and ice than 1 mile on a dreadmill. I fucking hate treadmills. I have the heartrate monitor too, but I always forget to put it on before I leave in the morning. :cuss: The garmin connect does have a manual entry system so you could enter in your dreadmill runs (splits and all) if you wanted to. I would almost rather run without shoes than without my garmin. Worth every penny, and it wasn't cheap.

Rain Man
12-29-2009, 04:03 PM
Honestly, I am not sure... although a great idea, this government website has the performance of a one legged donkey that fell out of an aids tree

Yeah, my mile logging the past couple of days has gone really easy and the individual stuff like the maps and pictures. It seems like it's the partner stuff that's really doggy. Maybe once that stuff is set up it'll go easier.

mlyonsd
12-29-2009, 04:04 PM
Just tedonitis for me. It had been bothering me, and then went from there to outright bad pain. I had to stop doing anything for about a month for it to go away.

I have no idea what would've happened to yours. Swollen in the back?

The back part of my knee where it bends is swollen. The front is where it pops though.

I bought a cheap brace for it and will give it another week to see what it does. Like I said more annoying than anything so its probably nothing.

I was just looking for some cheap advice on when I should be worried about it.

Rain Man
12-29-2009, 04:05 PM
I would rather run 10 miles on snow and ice than 1 mile on a dreadmill. I ****ing hate treadmills. I have the heartrate monitor too, but I always forget to put it on before I leave in the morning. :cuss: The garmin connect does have a manual entry system so you could enter in your dreadmill runs (splits and all) if you wanted to. I would almost rather run without shoes than without my garmin. Worth every penny, and it wasn't cheap.

I can't run on a treadmill. For some reason it makes me dizzy, and I get all nervous that I'm going to fall off and end up on youtube with a bunch of teenagers calling me a dweeb.

Rain Man
12-29-2009, 04:08 PM
Oh, hey. If I go to the map and ask it to show me the teams, it shows two Chiefsplaneteers teams. I'm not sure what that means. I tried twice to create a team and got errors, so it could be mine showing up, or it could be rageumr's team showing up on at least one of them.

You're both showing up as my partners, too, both with 11 miles.

Hog's Gone Fishin
12-29-2009, 04:09 PM
I applaud your ingenuity of a great concept to make money. Follow it thru. I could see this as a good idea!

ziggysocki
12-29-2009, 04:16 PM
Oh, hey. If I go to the map and ask it to show me the teams, it shows two Chiefsplaneteers teams. I'm not sure what that means. I tried twice to create a team and got errors, so it could be mine showing up, or it could be rageumr's team showing up on at least one of them.

When I do that, it shows us all with 0 miles... ROFL

here is the explanation, makes sense I guess...

We have adjusted your partner(s) mileage so that both you and your partners start at the same point. Virtual partners who started before you have had their mileage set to your mileage on your start date.

So it is just an "Go Forward" Comparison

rageeumr
12-29-2009, 04:21 PM

Hmm.... mine shows everyone at 0 miles and no teams (I deleted the one I created).

ziggysocki
12-29-2009, 04:22 PM
I just entered distances from sunday, and now it shows me at 13.3, and you both at 9.2. So I am guessing Rain Man has entered 9.2 since sunday?

AustinChief
12-29-2009, 04:26 PM
And then I thought, "Hmm, this is a pretty good idea for a website. If I started a website, could I get enough people to sell some advertising and stuff and maybe make some money?"

Good idea and not hard at all to implement. If you find someone who is adept at the google API... this thing basically writes itself.

The hard part is getting traffic to the site... once you have the traffic and a good community... it could make some money.

The problem I see is that it's novelty isn't interactive enough... coem up with some further "hooks" and you have a winner. Think in terms of making it more of a community or a competition.

...but from a technical standpoint... not hard to do at all.

rageeumr
12-29-2009, 04:28 PM
I just entered distances from sunday, and now it shows me at 13.3, and you both at 9.2. So I am guessing Rain Man has entered 9.2 since sunday?

Backdating the log, huh, cheater?

You're showing 4.1 on mine now with Rain Man and I at 0.

ziggysocki
12-29-2009, 04:30 PM
Backdating the log, huh, cheater?

You're showing 4.1 on mine now with Rain Man and I at 0.

so you just entered today's run, cause that is what I did this morning... And I did not cheat! :cuss: If I wanted to cheat, I would go back and enter the 1191.9 miles that I have logged since 7/22/08... :D

Rain Man
12-29-2009, 04:32 PM
Okay, I've now got you both in my own team called ChiefsPlaneteers. Do you see anything?

I'm starting to think that teams and partners are invisible to the other people. If true, I think it's a bit of a mistake on their part since it limits the community aspect that would be valuable. Another competitive advantage to my own web site.

Any web designers out there who want to partner on this?

Rain Man
12-29-2009, 04:35 PM
Good idea and not hard at all to implement. If you find someone who is adept at the google API... this thing basically writes itself.

The hard part is getting traffic to the site... once you have the traffic and a good community... it could make some money.

The problem I see is that it's novelty isn't interactive enough... coem up with some further "hooks" and you have a winner. Think in terms of making it more of a community or a competition.

...but from a technical standpoint... not hard to do at all.

I can come up with hooks. And yeah, I think the key is making a community out of it. How much would it cost to build this if I hired someone? (Roughly.)

Rain Man
12-29-2009, 04:37 PM
I'm showing ziggy at 15.1 and rage and myself at 11. I can see us all having 11 because that's what I've entered.

Ah, I think I see what's happening. If ziggy entered 4.1 after we became partners, that's where we start diverging. So it only puts us all at the same starting point, which is the mileage we had when we selected partners.

So this means that we can track each other, but there's no communication or anything.

Rain Man
12-29-2009, 04:39 PM
The team is showing us at 4.1 collectively, so I bet it just adds our distances together. Do you guys see a team yet? It's working on mine, but I bet you each have to build the team yourself.

AustinChief
12-29-2009, 04:45 PM
I can come up with hooks. And yeah, I think the key is making a community out of it. How much would it cost to build this if I hired someone? (Roughly.)
Depends on the scope of the project.

Your best bet lies in one of two routes...

#1 Set out EXACTLY what you want the site to be able to do... make mock ups and write descriptions of every detail. THEN outsource the project on one of the many programming outsourcing sites where people bid for the job. (if I had to guess... shouldn't cost more than $5000)

#2 Find a capable programmer that you trust and partner with them... keeping your cost at ZERO (minus server costs which are almost nothing for a project like this)

Extra Point
12-29-2009, 04:48 PM
Your left shoe needs a new sole. Fix with Shoe Goo and rest for two days.

rageeumr
12-29-2009, 04:49 PM
Yep, you're right, I had to recreate the team.

I'm planning on a sixer tonight, so we'll see how that affects everything.

Dartgod
12-29-2009, 04:50 PM
Every time I click on "Choose Partner" I get a script error.

I'm 59141

Rain Man
12-29-2009, 04:53 PM
Every time I click on "Choose Partner" I get a script error.

I'm 59141

The Choose Partner thing is finicky. Try getting out and then logging back on, and I bet it works.

Simply Red
12-29-2009, 04:56 PM
So I'm getting over my little knee problem and have started running again, and I thought it'd be cool to plot my progress on a map of the U.S., running across the country. I've always thought it would be cool to walk across the U.S., but I can't figure out how to get my work done in that scenario, so this is my fallback.

So I went out looking to see if it's already out there. The concept isn't overly innovative, so I see a fair amount of sites out there that talk about it, but they all seem to be pretty lame. Here's a map, print it, color in your progress with a crayon kind of stuff.

What I'd like is a web site where you plot your progress and then see a google maps street view of your location, and then a virtual tour of towns that you walk through, and an atlas so you can pick your route as you go, and an interactive map so you can plot your route. That doesn't exist.

Is there money in this? What's the revenue model? Any web designers out there who would want to collaborate on this?

In my 15 minutes of looking, I found one web site that's actually kind of close, though it's still basic. http://exercise.lbl.gov/index.html is a federal government site, and they do the street view pictures, which is pretty cool, and the online log. However, they only give you one route, an inexplicable Yorktown, Virginia, to Florence, Oregon, route, and you can't vary from that. Also, you don't get local information along your route as far as I can tell.

I signed up for it, though, since it's the best option out there, and am now 11 miles into my journey. I've left Yorktown and am now on this nice road about 2 miles from Williamsburg. Anyone else want to wander along?

http://exercise.lbl.gov/TrailPointImage?pt_id=52

It's incredibly evident what you do for a living. Love it.

Rain Man
12-29-2009, 04:58 PM
Based on our experience so far, I'm deciding that this site isn't strong competition. But if our ID numbers are really linear and there are 59,000 people, there's a demand.

patteeu
12-29-2009, 06:45 PM

Your knee forgot your birthday and thinks it's 50.

patteeu
12-29-2009, 06:46 PM
I was going to sign up, but I'm out of breath reading this thread so I guess I'm out.

ziggysocki
12-30-2009, 07:22 AM
Ok, so I just completed another 3.7 miles across the virtual Virginia countryside. At least the 2 new inches of snow made the ice a little less slippery. :D . I am now 4 miles from Jamestown VA, going up a hill.

Rain Man
12-30-2009, 11:44 AM
Ok, so I just completed another 3.7 miles across the virtual Virginia countryside. At least the 2 new inches of snow made the ice a little less slippery. :D . I am now 4 miles from Jamestown VA, going up a hill.

I got an email today that said you passed me. Damn you.

I'm 6 miles from Jamestown. Just got passed by a car. Nice scenery, but not much room for us runners.

Dartgod, I've got you partnered up now and can see you on my map. Did you get the partner thing to work?

http://exercise.lbl.gov/TrailPointImage?pt_id=67

Dartgod
12-30-2009, 11:50 AM
Dartgod, I've got you partnered up now and can see you on my map. Did you get the partner thing to work?

I did, but do not see how to join the Chiefsplanet team. I can only create a team.

Rain Man
12-30-2009, 11:55 AM
I did, but do not see how to join the Chiefsplanet team. I can only create a team.

Yeah, we've pretty much decided that each person has to create their own team. Not sure why.

Rain Man
01-01-2010, 04:46 PM
I'm about one-third of the way to Richmond now. 32.4 miles down, 4,055.6 to go. Not sure what's going on with those cars on the side of the road.

http://exercise.lbl.gov/TrailPointImage?pt_id=147

ziggysocki
01-01-2010, 05:07 PM
Dang Rain Man, you have logged a bunch of miles this week. You better take it easy or you are gonna make that knee flare up again. I have a 9 miler tomorrow, so I will start getting caught back up with you.

Rain Man
01-01-2010, 05:09 PM
I did a slow 12 miles today, my longest since the knee thing flared up, but my secret weapon is 3.8 miles round trip to work each day. As long as I don't have to drive, I can pile up miles during the week. Granted, those are walking miles, but they still count in my book since they're voluntary miles.

ziggysocki
01-01-2010, 05:13 PM
I did a slow 12 miles today, my longest since the knee thing flared up, but my secret weapon is 3.8 miles round trip to work each day. As long as I don't have to drive, I can pile up miles during the week. Granted, those are walking miles, but they still count in my book since they're voluntary miles.

Sure... lots of folks say the health benefits of walking are almost the same as running, just a bit slower. You have inspired me to do the same. I could gain an additional 2 miles a day if I walk to work, home for lunch, back to work and then home again.

stumppy
01-01-2010, 05:25 PM
Got a question. If I sign up for this do I have to get out and actually walk the miles I log in ?
I'm thinking you could make your new website a lot more fun and appealing if people didn't have to get out and really walk/run the miles they are logging in. If we all could just type in some arbitrary number of miles we "walked" it would leave more time for surfing the internet, or eating ice cream, or....whatever you wanted to do.

Yea, I could get with an excersise program like that.

Rain Man
01-01-2010, 05:34 PM
Got a question. If I sign up for this do I have to get out and actually walk the miles I log in ?
I'm thinking you could make your new website a lot more fun and appealing if people didn't have to get out and really walk/run the miles they are logging in. If we all could just type in some arbitrary number of miles we "walked" it would leave more time for surfing the internet, or eating ice cream, or....whatever you wanted to do.

This is a great idea. So maybe just have people enter a random number when they come to Chiefsplanet.

stumppy
01-01-2010, 05:40 PM
This is a great idea. So maybe just have people enter a random number when they come to Chiefsplanet.

Oh Oh Oh.....carry it a little farther.

How about we get Daface to change the user controls around so we could just enter whatever post count we wanted and maybe increase our repower.
All while sitting comfortably at home enjoying a bowl of Rocky Road.

patteeu
01-02-2010, 10:18 AM

Brilliant! Virtual jogging. All the scenery without the sweat and sore feet!

ziggysocki
01-02-2010, 01:47 PM
Ok, after my 9 miler today (2 laps around the lake. Hilly and icy, patches of snow and ice still all over made for a nice challenging run. Not to mention it was 9 degrees at 9 am when we started... So far I am 26 miles in.

ziggysocki
01-05-2010, 09:10 AM
Ok, bump... WHERE YOU GUYS AT?

RockChalk
01-05-2010, 09:40 AM
I just signed up today. Looks pretty cool, although the site runs like i'm on a 56k modem

I'm doing biking/running. My ID is #59338. I added you all to my list of partners.

rageeumr
01-05-2010, 09:41 AM
I'm sitting on the side of the road nursing some runner's knee. I ran a six miler on New Years Day and been fighting it since then. I skipped my long run this weekend (supposed to be 12) and I ran about a quarter mile on the dreadmill last night and cut it short because every step hurt. I've been icing and 'profening up, and it feels a little better today.

Hopefully I can get that 12 in this weekend. It's actually supposed to get into the 30's on Sunday!

ziggysocki
01-05-2010, 09:44 AM
I'm sitting on the side of the road nursing some runner's knee. I ran a six miler on New Years Day and been fighting it since then. I skipped my long run this weekend (supposed to be 12) and I ran about a quarter mile on the dreadmill last night and cut it short because every step hurt. I've been icing and 'profening up, and it feels a little better today.

Hopefully I can get that 12 in this weekend. It's actually supposed to get into the 30's on Sunday!

I'd love to see 30... high here on saturday (for scheduled 10 miler) is 9... Probably won't be that warm at 8 am when I run. No aches or pains so far... luckily. But I do have about 500 miles on my current shoes, about time to go shopping.

Added you as well RockChalk.

Rain Man
01-05-2010, 10:49 AM
I just signed up today. Looks pretty cool, although the site runs like i'm on a 56k modem

I'm doing biking/running. My ID is #59338. I added you all to my list of partners.

Cool. Once I'm able to find Matthew Broderick from Wargames to help me dial up and get in I'll add you to my list. With your newfangled biking machinery, you may pass us all pretty quick.

Rain Man
01-05-2010, 10:52 AM

That's my fear. Knee problems stink. I had to sit out 7 weeks in November and December. I'm back now, but I'm slow as molasses at the moment.

ziggysocki
01-05-2010, 10:52 AM
I would add in biking, but I don't have a 4 wheel drive bike with snow mobile tracks on it... so I wont be logging any miles any time soon.

Slayer Diablo
01-05-2010, 10:54 AM
That would be awesome! You should also pair it with the "Sketch/CAD" program that lets you create structures and place them on Google Earth. Just think of the possibilities in your running route if you could build an Alaska-Russia bridge or a Canada-Greenland-Iceland-England-France bridge!

Rain Man
01-05-2010, 10:57 AM
Ok, bump... WHERE YOU GUYS AT?

This whole thing about having different sets of books for each person is weird. I'd rather they just gave absolute locations.

I just passed through Charles City at 43.8 miles, and now I've got a long open stretch before I get to Glendale (16.7 miles away). The good news is that my maps have shifted up and are showing Richmond now. [Edit: well, not the map that I just pasted in.]

http://exercise.lbl.gov/TrailPointImage?pt_id=193

patteeu
01-05-2010, 11:07 AM
Why stop at America? Someone should come up with an alternative virtual reality across which joggers can run and explore. You have to log your miles to discover new and amazing views and landmarks.

http://www.corbisimages.com/images/AR-050-0102.jpg?size=67&uid=43A1E727-F147-4896-921F-8B46849204FC

RockChalk
01-05-2010, 11:08 AM
Cool. Once I'm able to find Matthew Broderick from Wargames to help me dial up and get in I'll add you to my list. With your newfangled biking machinery, you may pass us all pretty quick.

My knees only tolerate so much running, unfortunately. My recumbent bike comes in pretty handy with they start acting up

Rain Man
01-05-2010, 11:32 AM
Why stop at America? Someone should come up with an alternative virtual reality across which joggers can run and explore. You have to log your miles to discover new and amazing views and landmarks.

And low-gravity worlds are much easier on the knees. I like it.

ziggysocki
01-06-2010, 11:41 AM
Bump, so you guys remember to log your miles. 5 more miles this morning across the antarctic tundra puts me at 36.1 total, and 5.86 mi to Charles City, VA, Charles City County

rageeumr
01-06-2010, 02:10 PM
Bump, so you guys remember to log your miles. 5 more miles this morning across the antarctic tundra puts me at 36.1 total, and 5.86 mi to Charles City, VA, Charles City County

What kind of terrain are you running on? There's a trail right by my office, and I'll go on my lunch break a lot of days, but it varies from a semi-packed 3" to a deep 6" of snow along the trail right now. Extremely difficult to run in. I just did a 4 miler and felt like I was going to die. My typical 4 mile pace is in the 7:15 range, but it was like 9:30 today.

I find it hard to motivate myself to get out and run in conditions like that. Last weekend I went up to Shawnee Mission park and ran on the roads. That wasn't bad, but it can get repetitive.

ziggysocki
01-06-2010, 03:11 PM
What kind of terrain are you running on? There's a trail right by my office, and I'll go on my lunch break a lot of days, but it varies from a semi-packed 3" to a deep 6" of snow along the trail right now. Extremely difficult to run in. I just did a 4 miler and felt like I was going to die. My typical 4 mile pace is in the 7:15 range, but it was like 9:30 today.

I find it hard to motivate myself to get out and run in conditions like that. Last weekend I went up to Shawnee Mission park and ran on the roads. That wasn't bad, but it can get repetitive.

I am from a small town with very little money to clear roads, so our side roads (where I run) are a mix of hard packed snow, slick ice spots, big chunks of ice, some really crunchy thicker snow and a few actual clear bits of road here and there. My 5 mile time is usually 7:45 - 8 range, and it has slowed me down to about 8:30, but I am pretty dead afterward. When running on shit conditions you have to stay tight and tense every step to make sure you don't lose footing and go down. I look at it like this; when this stuff clears up, and the air is warm enough to actually hold oxygen, I should be flying! I have been actually using this as motivation... I just tell myself, "Not everyone can push themselves through this. Most people would say it is too cold, too icy, too snowy." I have basically decided that mother nature is trying to challenge me, and I am determined to kick that bitch's ass.

ziggysocki
01-09-2010, 01:21 PM
53.3 miles for me so far... today really helped, 10 mile run followed by 4 mile cool down walk. I am now 53.3 mi - "7.22 mi to Glendale, VA", Charles City County
"Section: 12 Map Name: Chickahominy, 148"

Cmon guys, updates.... post some updates.

Rain Man
01-09-2010, 04:22 PM
After an 8.5 mile run today and 2 miles walking afterwards, I'm at 67.6 miles now, and on my way to Mechanicsburg. 35.5 miles running, 32.1 miles walking. I appear to be in a residential neighborhood at the moment, but no one has come out to offer me lemonade. They probably don't realize that I'm running across the nation.

http://exercise.lbl.gov/TrailPointImage?pt_id=302

rageeumr
01-09-2010, 04:30 PM
And I'm sitting on the side of the road again.

A bit different situation this time, though. My wife had an emergency c-section last night. Our son joined us about 3 weeks earlier than expected. He's holed up in the NICU at the moment with some respiratory issues, but they're really mild. They really only have him in there so they can keep an eye on him. Momma is doing great!

[/threadjack]

I'm only about a mile from a 24 hour fitness. I might sneak out there and hit the mill a little later tonight when the wifey is snoozing. She's due for it, she hasn't slept in about 34 hours. If I spend the next three straight days in this hospital room I might snap.

Rain Man
01-09-2010, 04:38 PM
Congratulations! I'm glad to hear they're doing well. What's his name?

ziggysocki
01-09-2010, 04:43 PM
wtg rain man. this is pretty country. We will be outta Virgina before you know it. I will be logging the extra walking miles starting this week.

Rain Man
01-09-2010, 04:51 PM
wtg rain man. this is pretty country. We will be outta Virgina before you know it. I will be logging the extra walking miles starting this week.

Yeah, it sure seems nice. At the same time, I'm wondering if they'll always have us avoid cities. It would've been nice to go through Richmond to see what it's like. It looks like they're definitely avoiding big cities, but I wonder if we'll end up going through some smaller towns.

Rain Man
01-09-2010, 04:53 PM
Have you figured out any way to see how far it is to different places like, for example, the Kentucky border?

ziggysocki
01-09-2010, 05:31 PM
Not using that site. You can use this Google maps toolhttp://www.gmap-pedometer.com/, but it is kind of a pain to match the exact route they have mapped.

rageeumr
01-09-2010, 05:39 PM
Congratulations! I'm glad to hear they're doing well. What's his name?

Robert Stephen. We're going to call him Robbie. Not exceptionally original, but they're both family names.

ziggysocki
01-09-2010, 05:44 PM
And I'm sitting on the side of the road again.

A bit different situation this time, though. My wife had an emergency c-section last night. Our son joined us about 3 weeks earlier than expected. He's holed up in the NICU at the moment with some respiratory issues, but they're really mild. They really only have him in there so they can keep an eye on him. Momma is doing great!

[/threadjack]

I'm only about a mile from a 24 hour fitness. I might sneak out there and hit the mill a little later tonight when the wifey is snoozing. She's due for it, she hasn't slept in about 34 hours. If I spend the next three straight days in this hospital room I might snap.

Congrats! Hope all turns out well....

ziggysocki
01-11-2010, 02:55 PM
So I was checking out the route our 'virtual run' will be taking us on, and figure out that you can drill down to any section of the map you want, just like the one we are on presently in Virginia. Turns out this route actually comes withing about 1 city block of my house. Pretty cool. I will be able to stop in for a hot meal and a soft bed. Virtually of course.

Rain Man
01-13-2010, 10:28 PM
So I was checking out the route our 'virtual run' will be taking us on, and figure out that you can drill down to any section of the map you want, just like the one we are on presently in Virginia. Turns out this route actually comes withing about 1 city block of my house. Pretty cool. I will be able to stop in for a hot meal and a soft bed. Virtually of course.

Wow! It seems like the odds of that would be astronomical, or at least ... solarsystemical... particularly since it looks like we don't get routed through bigger cities.

I'm at 88.0 miles, and just exited the Richmond metro area if you count getting past the outer loop as leaving. Only 645 more miles and I'm in Kentucky. I'm over 2% of the way to the Pacific!

Anyone in the Castlewood Subdivision that I can visit? If not, I'm on my way to Ashland.

http://exercise.lbl.gov/TrailPointImage?pt_id=375

Taco John
01-13-2010, 11:21 PM
If you run by my house wearing a virtual reality helmet, I'll throw a wad of ones your way for the entertainment of it all. There's got to be a business model in there somewhere.

ziggysocki
01-19-2010, 02:20 PM
13.04 mi to Ashland, VA, Hanover County.
My mileage should really pick up now... week 7 of marathon training...
mon-3 mi. , tue-6 mi. , wed-3 mi. and 12 mi. on saturday.

Here is my scenery and relative progress to my CP training partners.

Rain Man
01-25-2010, 08:20 PM
I'm at 159.1 miles now, 7.9 miles from Palmyra in Fluvanna County. Virginia is very pretty, but it all looks the same so far.

I think I'm more than 25 percent through the state now, and about 4 percent of the way across the U.S. on this route.

http://exercise.lbl.gov/TrailPointImage?pt_id=675

Rain Man
01-25-2010, 08:32 PM
Why the heck won't they give me a little of West Virginia or Tennessee? I want to be able to count more states.

Rain Man
02-14-2010, 09:52 PM
I've got a little traffic jam going as I enter Lexington, Virginia. I think the horses are slowing things down.

I'm at 271.6 miles since December 27th, averaging about 5.4 miles per day. Within the next two days I should be halfway through Virginia, and am about 7 percent of the way across the U.S.

How are my teammates doing? Y'all getting your miles logged? Ziggy? Rage? Rock? Dart?

http://exercise.lbl.gov/TrailPointImage?pt_id=1155

ziggysocki
02-15-2010, 10:35 AM
I've got a little traffic jam going as I enter Lexington, Virginia. I think the horses are slowing things down.

I'm at 271.6 miles since December 27th, averaging about 5.4 miles per day. Within the next two days I should be halfway through Virginia, and am about 7 percent of the way across the U.S.

How are my teammates doing? Y'all getting your miles logged? Ziggy? Rage? Rock? Dart?

http://exercise.lbl.gov/TrailPointImage?pt_id=1155

Man... I have been so busy getting back into the whole university student routine, I have forgot to log the miles... still running, just forgot to log... ill check in in a little while.

patteeu
02-15-2010, 10:40 AM
I think I saw a guy who looked just like ziggysocki jogging in place with a bookbag over his shoulder just outside of Ashland.

ziggysocki
02-15-2010, 10:49 AM
Ok. I updated my miles, 4 miles to Charlottesville. I don't know how the hell this thing accumulates...
59131 ziggysocki 183.8 mi
59102 RainMan 151.7 mi
59136 Rage 125.2 mi
59338 BrentF 78.4 mi
Sooooo I don't know why mine doesn't show your other 100 miles RainMan. My mileage reflects what I have accumulated with my Garmin (Running only). (btw... Did an 18 miler this weekend at 9 min pace VERY comfortably - I have been training around 7:45)

rageeumr
02-15-2010, 11:13 AM
With weather, broken toe, screaming infant... etc, my training has really taken a hit. But I did a 15 miler at an 8:03 clip on Saturday and it felt fantastic. I didn't feel the least bit tired, but my legs were toast by the end. I might get ready for a spring marathon after all.

I also bought a nice Specialized bike that I'll be picking up this week. So I'll be logging some cycling miles before too long. I want to do a couple tri's this summer and see if I like them.

Oh, and I'm showing:
59136 R.J. 116.0 mi
59131 Ziggy 174.6 mi
59102 Rain Man 260.8 mi
59338 BrentF 153.3 mi

Rain Man
02-23-2010, 06:08 PM
Sooooo I don't know why mine doesn't show your other 100 miles RainMan. My mileage reflects what I have accumulated with my Garmin (Running only). (btw... Did an 18 miler this weekend at 9 min pace VERY comfortably - I have been training around 7:45)

Just a hunch, but if your settings are only for running, I wonder if your system ignores my walking miles and counts only my running miles. That would kind of make up for the difference.

Other than that, I have no idea.

Rain Man
02-23-2010, 06:11 PM
I am in California, and the invasion fleet is in training. My mission is to seize high ground on Catalina Island in a 13.1 mile amphibious landing and ground invasion.

I can see the island from my base. The invasion fleet will launch Friday, and the assault will occur on Saturday.

http://www.ethelkrawitz.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/460.jpg

Rain Man
02-23-2010, 06:12 PM
Here's the boat to which I am assigned on the invasion fleet. I pray that we will make the beach in one piece.

http://www.balboapavilion.com/Catalina_flyer_05s.jpg

Rain Man
02-23-2010, 06:18 PM
My mission will be to seize the mountain 1,500 feet above the shore, secure it, and then move over to to a nearby lower peak and seize it as well. If I can do it in less than 2 hours and 40 minutes and then return to the landing area, we will control the island. If it takes longer than 2 hours and 50 minutes, the second wave will all surely perish in their Higgins boats. This invasion depends on me and my men.

Rain Man
03-02-2010, 04:05 PM
The invasion was a success. I made it in 2:26:59, which was much faster than I was expecting. It was a big haul uphill during the first 5 miles, and parts seemed bigger than was shown on the map. Mile 5 looked like it would be a shallow uphill, but it had some significant slope up and down, as did Mile 8. Add to that the fact that it rained all night, producing muddy trails, and I'm very happy with my time.

I came in 104th out of 204. One ship with roughly 100 runners got in late due to storms and weather, requiring a second start time, so only about 20 of those runners ran. They were the more serious ones since a majority of them beat my time, which knocked me out of the top half of finishers. Bummer. I was still in the top half of my gender/age group, though.

ziggysocki
03-06-2010, 10:02 AM
I am way behind in logging my virtual run, but I will get it caught up... main reason I am posting though is that I just got back from a 20 miler. Finished in 2:43:46 averaged 8:11 miles... and I feel great. tired, but no aches and pains so to speak... Now I am going to throw a brisket on the smoker and try and eat the whole fucker myself about 8 pm tonight.

mikeyis4dcats.
03-06-2010, 12:18 PM
I have nothing to add other than I read this morning that actor Eddie Izzard (comedian/transvestite) ran 42 marathons in 50 days last year after only 6 weeks of training.

I was impressed.

Rain Man
03-06-2010, 03:26 PM
I am way behind in logging my virtual run, but I will get it caught up... main reason I am posting though is that I just got back from a 20 miler. Finished in 2:43:46 averaged 8:11 miles... and I feel great. tired, but no aches and pains so to speak... Now I am going to throw a brisket on the smoker and try and eat the whole ****er myself about 8 pm tonight.

Nice! That's a good pace, too.

I keep thinking that I should do a marathon, but I'm not sure I'm up for it. I may just stick with halfs.

I'm doing another mountain half next weekend if I can get over a cold or whatever this is. Keeping up the training for summer and that Pike's Peak climb.

ziggysocki
03-06-2010, 05:41 PM
Nice! That's a good pace, too.

I keep thinking that I should do a marathon, but I'm not sure I'm up for it. I may just stick with halfs.

I'm doing another mountain half next weekend if I can get over a cold or whatever this is. Keeping up the training for summer and that Pike's Peak climb.

Running halves in the mountains should have you ready to run a nice flat Kansas or Nebraska marathon.

ziggysocki
03-14-2010, 09:49 AM
Got my virtual run mileage caught up. "12.68 mi to Catawba, VA", Botetourt County
Here are the totals now According to my start date.
Name Distance
ZachA 327.2 mi
KevinR 190.1 mi
R.J.A 195.2 mi
BrentF 97.1 mi

Rain Man
03-28-2010, 06:02 PM
As a team, we just crossed 1,000 miles according to my books. 1,004 miles as of today. We're almost all the way across Kentucky and are about to enter Illinois.

My mileage is way down since I've been sick the entire month of March. I was averaging about 157 miles per month in January and February, and this month I'm only at 107. It's been a long March if I can borrow Mao's term. Bleah.

I'm at 420.8 miles now, about 2 miles from Wytheville, Virginia. I should be able to see Tennessee this week and then start up that last stretch toward Kentucky. Man, Virginia has been long. I should be able to hit Kentucky before the end of April, though.

http://exercise.lbl.gov/TrailPointImage?pt_id=1724

Rain Man
03-28-2010, 06:04 PM
Ziggy, did you sign up for Pike's Peak?

rageeumr
03-28-2010, 08:06 PM
I might have posted this on here, but I gave up on getting ready for a full this spring. The new baby and tons of snow this winter just made it too tough. But I ran the Rock the Parkway half on Saturday in 1:37:40 (7:27), which beats my previous PR by almost 5 minutes.

I'm going to try to stay in half-marathon shape over the summer. I'm also doing a few tri's here and there. My name is in the NYC marathon lottery, so if it hits, I'll be doing that in November.

If you are SUPER bored and have nothing else to do, you can check out this Channel 41 report about Saturday's race. I'm the goofy looking guy in the navy long sleeve top and gray shorts that trots by at 1:59.
http://www.nbcactionnews.com/mediacenter/local.aspx?videoId=593267&navCatId=4295

Rain Man
03-28-2010, 08:49 PM
1:37 is pretty awesome. I don't think I could've done that even in my prime.

And did you catch that chick in the yellow?

I was planning to run a half next month here in Denver that looked like a nice easy course for a change - a shallow downhill the whole way other than a couple of little hills. It would've been really convenient in terms of location, but when I went to sign up they'd closed down entries. The course is on a running trail, and I guess it doesn't have much capacity. That was a bummer since I wanted to run it and thought it might be a good course for me to break 2 hours. Now I think I'll go do one that's about 80 miles north of here, but the course doesn't match my strengths very well.

rageeumr
03-29-2010, 07:31 AM
It's funny that you ask that. The girl in the yellow and I kept passing each other for the first 10 miles or so. I had a pretty good kick (ran the last 1.1 at a little under a 6:30 pace), so I'm guessing that I got her.

That sucks about the race filling up. You need to run a flat race. All that mountain climbing is bad for you :)

rageeumr
04-07-2010, 11:42 AM
My name is in the NYC marathon lottery, so if it hits, I'll be doing that in November.

The lottery was today. Denied. They can only tell me no one more time, though.

patteeu
04-07-2010, 12:10 PM
The lottery was today. Denied. They can only tell me no one more time, though.

What does that mean? Does it mean that you're only allowed to submit your request one more time or does it mean that after the next denial they have to accept your subsequent requests or does it mean something else?

Rain Man
04-07-2010, 12:19 PM
What does that mean? Does it mean that you're only allowed to submit your request one more time or does it mean that after the next denial they have to accept your subsequent requests or does it mean something else?

They have some rule where if you lose the lottery X years in a row, you get automatically accepted in Year X+1. I think X=5

patteeu
04-07-2010, 12:26 PM
They have some rule where if you lose the lottery X years in a row, you get automatically accepted in Year X+1. I think X=5

Ah thanks. That's what I thought he meant, but it wasn't clear.

rageeumr
04-07-2010, 12:27 PM

It's 3. This was my second straight denial, so if they tell me no next year, I get a guaranteed entry in 2012.

ziggysocki
04-07-2010, 02:17 PM
It's 3. This was my second straight denial, so if they tell me no next year, I get a guaranteed entry in 2012.

I figure I will put my name in NY at some point. Are you running in Olathe this Saturday? Thats where you live right?

Rain Man
04-07-2010, 02:55 PM
I figure I will put my name in NY at some point. Are you running in Olathe this Saturday? Thats where you live right?

I think he actually lives in Oooooooooolathe.

ziggysocki
04-07-2010, 03:04 PM
I think he actually lives in Oooooooooolathe.

Maybe its LOLathe

rageeumr
04-12-2010, 08:52 AM

I missed this when you posted it. I would have liked to have done Olathe (at least the half) but I had a meeting out of town that day. I did the Brew-to-Brew yesterday, which was a blast as always. I ran 2 legs, 5.88 @ 7:01 and 4.62 @ 7:03.

How did your weekend of craziness go? Can you walk today?

ziggysocki
04-12-2010, 09:58 AM
I am walking surprisingly well. I finished Olathe Marathon in 4:05:27 on Saturday - official per ultramax timing chip - and Fayetteville Hogeye Marathon in 4:04:25 (unofficial per my Garmin) on Sunday. I was amazed how much easier it was to finish by intentionally slowing my pace by a minute per mile... I do think I am going to lose 4-5 toe nails though...

Planetman
04-20-2010, 12:24 PM
World's 10 Most Breathtaking Walks
These Ten Spectacular Walks Are Well Worth the Hike
By MARLEI MARTINEZ
April 20, 2010

Whether a trek on the wild side gets your blood rushing or a leisurely stroll through a metropolis is more your thing, ABC News has compiled a list of 10 walks around the world that every traveler can enjoy. It's time to lace up your best walking shoes.

1. Ben Nevis, Scotland
Standing tall among the hills and glens of the Scottish Highlands, Ben Nevis provides a magnificent journey for any walker, hiker or climber. Affectionately known as the 'Ben' by the local Fort William villagers, this monolithic mountain holds all the charms of pastoral beauty, from valleys glistening with freshly fallen snow in the winter to pristine waterfalls. Good ol' Ben stands at 4,406 feet, making it the highest mountain in the British Isles. For those wanting a leisurely walk, the west face of mountain has many walkable footpaths, while the north face is better suited for those craving an adventurous climb. During the journey, most travelers will enjoy the rural sights of grazing highland cattle. And if the magnificent height of the mountain doesn't take your breath away, the sights of the glassy Loch Eil will.

2. Grand Canyon, Arizona, USA

http://abcnews.go.com/images/Travel/nm_grand_canyon2_100416_main.jpg

Dubbed as one of the seven "Natural Wonders of the World," the Grand Canyon is an experience worthy of the scrapbooks. This 277-mile stretch of jagged rocks, cliffs and valleys was carved by the ravaging waters of the Colorado River tens of millions of years ago. And today what's left is the wondrous outline of the red, orange and brown hues of raw nature. At the Grand Canyon National Park there are a wide variety of pre-marked trails, ranging from the moderate 13-mile hike from Pipe Creek Vista west to Hermits Rest to the more challenging and dangerous six-mile descent from Grandview Point into Horseshoe Mesa. Along this more challenging path, travelers can see blue copper ores and what remains of Pete Berry's mining location.

3. Great Wall, China

http://abcnews.go.com/images/Travel/nm_great_wall_china_100416_main.jpg

Although many sections of the wall are now in ruins, this 2,000-year-old treasure of the Orient keeps bringing in the tourists. Winding its way from East to West China, the Great Wall crosses through valleys, meadows, deserts and mountains. In its 5,500-mile stretch, many sections of the Wall have their own distinct personality of dynasties past. Mutianyu, for example, is known for its jaw-dropping scenery, while Jinshanling is known for its steep crags and wildlife. Resembling a mythical dragon in many ways with its magnificent formation, the Great Wall is an excellent walk for any world traveler.

4. Cajas National Park, Cuenca, Ecuador
The Cajas National Park on the western side of Cuenca, Ecuador, is a sight right out of the postcards. With its grassy hills filled with blossoming flowers and grazing goats, this park is worth the walk. Located at 4,450 meters above sea level, this is a walk for those used to high elevations and deal well with altitude. If able to muster up the breath, the abundance of scenery for taking photographs and the vast span of land and lakes for mountain biking, fishing and hiking will make this trek one of the best you've travelled.

5. Inca Trail, South America

http://abcnews.go.com/images/Travel/nm_inca_trail_south_america_100416_main.jpg

Rich with its lush tropical forests, subtropical jungles and thousand-year-old ruins, this trail encompasses all that is beautiful in South America. Considered by many to be one of the top five treks in the world, this 26-mile trail is well worth the visit. Travellers start their journey in the grassy mountains above the Urubamba River, walk along the winding roads that lead to the legendary ruins of Machu Picchu. Here in the "Lost City of the Incas," travelers will catch a glimpse of the spectacular paved stones, relics and tunnels.

6. Kilimanjaro, Africa

http://abcnews.go.com/images/Travel/nm_kilimanjaro_africa_100416_main.jpg

A walk up Mount Kilimanjaro in northern Tanzania is a feat not only worthy of the photo albums, but worthy of bragging rights as well. Not only is Kilimanjaro the tallest mountain in Africa (at a whopping 19,336 feet), it is one of the biggest volcanoes on the planet, but don't worry it's dormant. Rising above the Indian Ocean, Kilimanjaro has three volcanic cones -- Kibo, Mawenzi and Shira. Just like the trek in Cajas National Park, this walk is best for those who can acclimate well to high altitudes. But the physical work is worth the workout. Along the six- to seven-day trek, you'll see the dormant craters, wild forests, gigantic rock formations and spectacular waterfalls.

7. Amazon Jungle, South America

http://abcnews.go.com/images/Travel/nm_amazon_jungle_100416_main.jpg

If what you want out of a nice walk is an exotic world filled with wild animals, plants and fruit, the Amazon Jungle in South America is what you've been looking for. Depending on where in the jungle you venture to, you may be able to see howler monkeys, slinky jaguars, lazy sloths, buzzing hummingbirds and an assortment of colorful reptiles. But if travelling along any rivers, such as the Rio Negro, make sure to keep an eye out for alligators and piranhas. Some of the more adventurous travelers may also want to consider a night walk to see the truly wild side of the nocturnal jungle. But if you decide to venture out in the wild after nightfall, it's best to go with an experienced tour guide.

8. Biscoitos, Azores
This breath-taking waterhole is in an area unknown by many. Located off the Western coast of Portugal and smack in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean, Terceira Island in the Azores archipelago is a real treasure. Formed by underwater volcanoes, this waterhole offers not only a great place to swim but also a great place to walk. The cliffs surrounding the waterhole are peppered with lush blues, purples and pinks of the national hydrangea flower. From the groupings of rocks to the little nooks and caves found along the water's edge, Biscoitos makes for a wonderful place to stroll and catch a glimpse of the grand Atlantic.

9. South Bank, London
For those desiring a nice mix of nature, city and activity, the characteristic South Bank in Central London is the place to walk for you. Situated along the historic Thames River, the South Bank is home to street performers, food festivals and the London Eye. While the South Bank only extends for a short two-mile stretch, the vast variety of activities and the unique sights are abundant enough to last for a few hours' walk.

10. Central Park, NYC

http://abcnews.go.com/images/Travel/nm_central_park_bridge_100416_main.jpg

For those who prefer a leisurely All-American kind of walk, Central Park is the place to go. Nestled in the heart of the Big Apple, this 843-acre plot of land (with 58 miles of paths) is big enough to walk through all-day long. With its quaint bridges, charming lakes, characteristic baseball fields and historic monuments, there's something for everyone to see at every leg of a Central Park trek. And the one great thing that Central Park has that the other walks do not are the New York style hotdog stands, the perfect treat for a weary traveler.

Copyright © 2010 ABC News Internet Ventures

http://abcnews.go.com/print?id=10394453

Rain Man
06-02-2010, 01:57 PM
I am walking surprisingly well. I finished Olathe Marathon in 4:05:27 on Saturday - official per ultramax timing chip - and Fayetteville Hogeye Marathon in 4:04:25 (unofficial per my Garmin) on Sunday. I was amazed how much easier it was to finish by intentionally slowing my pace by a minute per mile... I do think I am going to lose 4-5 toe nails though...

Dang impressive. Congrats!

Rain Man
06-02-2010, 02:14 PM
I've been limping a bit with a gimpy knee, but I'm still moving. 612.6 miles in, I'm in Kentucky.

Miles to Date:

December (Began on 12/27) - Ran 7.0, Walked 13.5
January 2010 - Ran 101.2, Walked 74.4 (Had five full weekends in January, which is when I usually run)
February 2010 - Ran 64.7, Walked 52.8 (doin' fine)
March 2010 - Ran 58.5, Walked 60.3 (sick most of March)
April 2010 - Ran 41.2, Walked 69.1 (hurt my knee in mid-April)
May 2010 - Ran 17.2, Walked 48.8 (knee still hurting bad)
Jun 2010 (through June 1) - Ran 3.5, Walked 0 (knee may be getting better, but can't run long distances yet)

Totals: 289.8 running, 322.8 walking.

http://exercise.lbl.gov/TrailPointImage?pt_id=2471

Rain Man
11-07-2010, 10:02 PM
I'm over 1,000 miles now, and Illinois is within striking distance. It's been a long haul across Kentucky, but I'm now at 1,022.3 miles, probably about 100 miles from the state border.

Rain Man
12-24-2010, 04:17 PM
Annnnnd, I'm crossing the bridge into Missouri now. 1,218.1 miles to date, 590.8 running and 627.3 walking. I started 363 days ago, so I made it past the eastern U.S. in less than a year.

Old Dog
12-24-2010, 05:07 PM
I told the Mrs that I needed to get to working out again. I quit in November after not having missed more than two days in over three years :(

This is a heck of an idea.

Rain Man
02-07-2011, 04:46 PM
Just passed 1,400 miles. Wandering through the Ozarks.

rageeumr
02-07-2011, 05:00 PM
That's amusing. I hadn't updated this since June 4 of last year, so I pulled up my trusty Garmin exercise log and just entered all mileage since that date (422 mi running and 378 mi cycling) into today's workout. Hell of a day.

Oddly enough, it put me just in front of you. Just NE of Springfield in Fair Grove, MO. I'll have to stop for a get together while I'm there.

http://exercise.lbl.gov/TrailMapProgressImage?trail_id=143&user_distance=146720&other_distances=&map_id=392

Rain Man
02-07-2011, 05:06 PM
Cheater! Cheater! 800 miles in one day! Cheater!

Oh. Wait. I see what you did there.

Old Dog
02-07-2011, 05:17 PM
I've logged 116 miles so far since the beginning of the year. Not nearly as many as some of you real runners, but it's pretty good for me.

Thanks again for that site Mr Rain Man

rageeumr
02-07-2011, 05:17 PM
Cheater! Cheater! 800 miles in one day! Cheater!

Oh. Wait. I see what you did there.

I should probably deduct a certain percentage of miles as penance for my lackadaisical logging.

Instead, I'll probably just forfeit some of the prize money should I hold you off and win.

rageeumr
02-07-2011, 05:22 PM
I've logged 116 miles so far since the beginning of the year. Not nearly as many as some of you real runners, but it's pretty good for me.

116 seems like a lot to me! I'm in early weeks of marathon training, and I've only ran 80 miles this year. Of course I lost a week and a half to a snowboarding trip and I've been laid up for the last week with ankle problems. But even if I hadn't missed any workouts at all, I'd only be around 120 myself.

You training for something?

Rain Man
02-07-2011, 05:25 PM

Hey, cool. I didn't know if you'd actually signed up. I like this site because it's motivating to keep going to the next county and keep seeing that state line getting closer.

I'm #59102 if you want to track each other. The running partner thing is kind of lame, though.

Rain Man
02-07-2011, 05:27 PM
116 seems like a lot to me! I'm in early weeks of marathon training, and I've only ran 80 miles this year. Of course I lost a week and a half to a snowboarding trip and I've been laid up for the last week with ankle problems. But even if I hadn't missed any workouts at all, I'd only be around 120 myself.

Yeah, that's about what I do, counting both running and walking. I think I average 25 to 30 miles a week when I'm healthy.

Old Dog
02-07-2011, 05:46 PM

Hey, cool. I didn't know if you'd actually signed up. I like this site because it's motivating to keep going to the next county and keep seeing that state line getting closer.

I'm #59102 if you want to track each other. The running partner thing is kind of lame, though.

Not really training for anything other than to hopefully get in better shape, feel better and maybe be able to see my grandkids grow up (can't think of any better reasons though).
I HATE running if the only goal is to run somewhere to turn around and come home. The only way I will run outside is if I have someone take me a few miles from the house and drop me off so I pretty much have to run to get back (that, I kinda enjoy) so most of mine is on the treadmill.
Haven't done any "races" and have no thoughts of doing any marathons. Not saying it wouldn't be cool, just don't think it's in me to do something like that (5-6 miles at a crack is pretty much my limit, and even that is at a really slow pace....like a 8-9 minute mile and that doesn't change no matter what I have tried in the past). I just found that when I did work out I felt better more often than not.
I'm #63586 though and am hoping to reach the Kentucky line by 11 July. My original goal was Christmas, but found it easier to get back into than I thought and that it's only about 550 miles to the border rather than 750ish like it shows on the Virginia map.

ziggysocki
02-08-2011, 01:21 PM
I am going to have to pull out my garmin logs and do the same. I have not been on the planet much, as life gets in the way, and basically forgot. I am training for a 100K race at the end of april at Clinton Lake, so i have some decent mileage to put up.

rageeumr
02-08-2011, 01:35 PM
I am going to have to pull out my garmin logs and do the same. I have not been on the planet much, as life gets in the way, and basically forgot. I am training for a 100K race at the end of april at Clinton Lake, so i have some decent mileage to put up.

100K? At once? You silly bastard.

Are you going to run the Brew to Brew as a warm up?

ziggysocki
02-15-2011, 08:05 PM
100K? At once? You silly bastard.

Are you going to run the Brew to Brew as a warm up?

Yeah at once... I am a glutton for punishment. I was waiting for the snow to go away to put down some serious mileage, now I have a case of the flu that has knocked me on my ass... I am gonna have to work my ass off to get ready by april.

dtebbe
02-15-2011, 08:39 PM
These guys have been doing that sort of thing for a while:
http://www.walkingspree.com/

and

http://connect.garmin.com/

DT

Rain Man
03-19-2011, 08:54 PM
I'm in Kansas now, squinting west across the plains as I stand at 1,563.5 miles.

ziggysocki
03-24-2011, 08:14 AM
Since you are in Pittsburg Rainman, you should let me buy you a beer!

Old Dog
03-24-2011, 08:23 AM
Just hit the 300 mile mark this morning, but I only started on January 1st.

Rain Man
03-24-2011, 09:32 AM
Since you are in Pittsburg Rainman, you should let me buy you a beer!

We're on. You'll need to catch me in Girard now, but that shouldn't be a problem.

Are you still logging miles? You'd probably be in Wyoming by now.

Rain Man
03-24-2011, 09:33 AM
Just hit the 300 mile mark this morning, but I only started on January 1st.

Cool. In fact, I was going to PM you because I hadn't seen your mileage update.

At 300, you're over halfway across Virginia now. I think it's something like 555 to Kentucky.

ziggysocki
03-24-2011, 09:38 AM
We're on. You'll need to catch me in Girard now, but that shouldn't be a problem.

Are you still logging miles? You'd probably be in Wyoming by now.

Dont think Girard would be a problem~ ROFL

I am logging miles... haven't updated that site in forever, but am still putting some miles behind me. But I am about a month away from a 100K in Lawrence. The biggest problem training for ultras (for me) isn't so much the endurance, but the time commitment. Running 20+ miles takes a long time, so a daily run may go from 1-4 hours. That adds up over the course of a week. So a week ago I bought a 20lb conditioning vest to augment my training. WOW it is amazing how much harder a 10 mile run is with a 20lb vest. Makes me really value the 20 pounds I lost off my body.

Old Dog
04-11-2011, 06:02 PM
Is the site down? I can't seem to get logged in.

Rain Man
04-12-2011, 09:22 AM
Yep, site is down.

It looked to me like there was a database problem brewing, as my photo wasn't matching my map line all of a sudden. Hopefully they'll get it fixed soon.

Old Dog
05-28-2011, 10:14 AM
Just crossed into Kentucky this morning after five months.
514.7 miles to go to Illinois.......thinking I should get there by Thanksgiving (would be Halloween if I kept up this pace).

Rain Man
05-29-2011, 10:50 PM
Just crossed into Kentucky this morning after five months.
514.7 miles to go to Illinois.......thinking I should get there by Thanksgiving (would be Halloween if I kept up this pace).

Congrats! Virginia is a tough state. It seems to go on forever.

I'm currently at 1898.7 miles, directly south of Hays, Kansas. I have maybe 150 more miles of Kansas before I reach the Colorado border.

kysirsoze
05-30-2011, 09:19 PM
Well, I'm 65978. I'm just starting to run and I am in horrible shape so this will likely take me about 20 years to complete, but I might as well give it a shot.

Rain Man
05-30-2011, 09:54 PM
Well, I'm 65978. I'm just starting to run and I am in horrible shape so this will likely take me about 20 years to complete, but I might as well give it a shot.

Cool. I'll link up with you.

Someone who didn't put in their name linked up with me a while back. It could be a planeteer or someone else, but I was curious. It's 65869.

Old Dog
05-31-2011, 06:43 PM
Also finished with my best monthly total after 4 miles this evening. 128 to best my previous of 119.5

rageeumr
06-23-2011, 07:16 AM
Did my quarterly update this morning. Ran/Biked about 565 miles since my last update (February 8th). I'm about 24 miles from the Kansas/Colorado border. I started training for the KC Marathon this week, so I should really start racking up the miles.

http://exercise.lbl.gov/TrailPointImage?pt_id=8110
http://exercise.lbl.gov/TrailMapProgressImage?trail_id=143&user_distance=203304&other_distances=&map_id=187

Rain Man
06-23-2011, 10:18 AM
Did my quarterly update this morning. Ran/Biked about 565 miles since my last update (February 8th). I'm about 24 miles from the Kansas/Colorado border. I started training for the KC Marathon this week, so I should really start racking up the miles.

I was wondering who just passed me. I got an e-mail notification that I'd been passed, but it only gives a number, not a name.

I'm right behind you. I should hit 2,000 miles this weekend and am probably 100 miles from the Colorado border.

Rain Man
06-25-2011, 05:23 PM
I hit 2,000 miles last night. I'm about 30 miles from the halfway point across the country.

Old Dog
06-25-2011, 08:41 PM
I wish they would add another route. Maybe a South-North or something. I'm just into Kentucky but have already begun wondering what I'm going to use for motivation once I'm done.

Rain Man
06-25-2011, 10:33 PM
I wish they would add another route. Maybe a South-North or something. I'm just into Kentucky but have already begun wondering what I'm going to use for motivation once I'm done.

Yeah, me too. I wonder if you could jury-rig something out of google maps. Do they have street view for highways?

Rain Man
07-16-2011, 10:31 PM
I'm at 2,100 miles now. 2,105.7 to be exact, and I am now in the great state of Colorado. I am officially more than halfway across the U.S. now, and boy are my arms tired.

Old Dog
07-17-2011, 08:19 AM
Congrats

Sweet Daddy Hate
07-17-2011, 08:21 AM
Does this idea have any room for pitting people against each other with exotic weaponry?

In!

Old Dog
09-28-2011, 07:38 AM
Hit the 1,000 mile mark this morning (I know it's not a "state line" but I would have never thought I would do 1,000 miles in a year, let alone in nine months).
Should hit Illinois by the end of next month.

Rain Man
09-28-2011, 09:47 AM
Hit the 1,000 mile mark this morning (I know it's not a "state line" but I would have never thought I would do 1,000 miles in a year, let alone in nine months).
Should hit Illinois by the end of next month.

Awesome. Congrats! Illinois is nice because it goes really quick and you get to cross the river at the end.

I'm still cruising along, currently at 2,375 miles just outside Dillon, Colorado, headed toward Wyoming.

Old Dog
10-19-2011, 05:12 PM
Crossed into Illinois after four miles this afternoon.

ziggysocki
10-20-2011, 09:11 AM
I am terrible at doing repetitive things like logging miles, but I have run a lot since this thread started. According to my garmin connect stats I am around 1460 miles since this thread started. I have done a few miles where I forgot my forerunner or the battery died.. but that is pretty close. I have also run several trail races this year (and a road marathon) April - 100K Trail Ultra, June - 50K Trail Ultra, September 11 - Road Marathon 26.2 mi, September 23 - 50K Trail Ultra. I am doing another 50K Trail Ultra Saturday and the last one for the year will be a 50K Trail Ultra on Nov 6. So I think this is a good year for me, race wise... Next years goal will be to get the courage to sign up and finish a big scary 100 miler.

Rain Man
10-20-2011, 09:13 AM
Crossed into Illinois after four miles this afternoon.

Kentucky is a long one, isn't it? It seemed like it took me forever to get across Kentucky, though in fairness that was when I'd hurt my knee and wasn't getting many miles in for a while.

Rain Man
10-20-2011, 09:16 AM
I am terrible at doing repetitive things like logging miles, but I have run a lot since this thread started. According to my garmin connect stats I am around 1460 miles since this thread started. I have done a few miles where I forgot my forerunner or the battery died.. but that is pretty close. I have also run several trail races this year (and a road marathon) April - 100K Trail Ultra, June - 50K Trail Ultra, September 11 - Road Marathon 26.2 mi, September 23 - 50K Trail Ultra. I am doing another 50K Trail Ultra Saturday and the last one for the year will be a 50K Trail Ultra on Nov 6. So I think this is a good year for me, race wise... Next years goal will be to get the courage to sign up and finish a big scary 100 miler.

I still don't have the discipline I need to do a full marathon, much less anything longer. I want to, though, so maybe I should get more strict about my diet and stuff.

I just did my 28th 10+ mile race a couple of weekends, ago, though. I think I'm at 22 half-marathons (+/- 0.2 miles) 2 10-milers, and 4 that are 14 to 16 miles.

ziggysocki
10-20-2011, 09:47 AM
I still don't have the discipline I need to do a full marathon, much less anything longer. I want to, though, so maybe I should get more strict about my diet and stuff.

I just did my 28th 10+ mile race a couple of weekends, ago, though. I think I'm at 22 half-marathons (+/- 0.2 miles) 2 10-milers, and 4 that are 14 to 16 miles.

That is a lot of half marathons! Especially at altitude such as yours. The 100k in april was extremely challenging, but I was very surprised how mentally exhausting it was. You expect to be physically wiped after 12+ hours of running, but staring at the ground, watching every footfall to avoid tripping or stumbling... deciding which hills to walk, calculating distance and pace to the next checkpoint... That was tough. I was truly exhausted after that, physically and mentally. But to know that I had just moved my body over 62 miles of wooded trails under its own power was an amazing feeling of accomplishment. Even if standing and walking was painful for 10 days afterward! :thumb:

patteeu
10-20-2011, 09:53 AM
I can't decide whether I think you guys are really amazing or retarded. All that running is quite an accomplishment.

ziggysocki
10-20-2011, 09:55 AM
<-- Amazingly retarded.

Old Dog
10-20-2011, 10:43 AM
<--- Leads a really boring existence and has no better way to kill an hour a day than running and working out

ziggysocki
10-20-2011, 10:45 AM
<--- Leads a really boring existence and has no better way to kill an hour a day than running and working out

There in nothing boring about stepping forward with your right foot, followed by your left foot, and then repeating anywhere from 1-10 hours...... oh, well, when you put it like that...

Rain Man
10-20-2011, 10:58 AM
The more I think about it, running really is kind of a dumb hobby.

"What do you do for fun?"

"I run."

"Where?"

"Just around in circles for the most part."

Old Dog
11-28-2011, 02:38 PM
Crossed the Illinois/Missouri border after 4 miles yesterday morning. That gives me 1,217 miles so far this year.

Rain Man
11-28-2011, 02:40 PM
Cool. Across the bridge.

I hit 2,600 miles last night. I'm just north of Rawlins, Wyoming. Pretty quiet around here.

Rain Man
12-26-2011, 09:43 PM
Okay, today marks the end of my second year of doing this. I'm currently at 2,722.3 miles, which is averaging 3.7 miles per day every day - 7 days a week, 52 weeks a year.

At this pace I'm barely on pace to reach the coast before my three-year anniversary, so my goal for 2012 is to make the coast by December 26, 2012 or before the world is destroyed.

I'm currently slightly more than halfway across Wyoming, headed toward Yellowstone National Park and Montana.

-King-
12-26-2011, 09:47 PM
Okay, today marks the end of my second year of doing this. I'm currently at 2,722.3 miles, which is averaging 3.7 miles per day every day - 7 days a week, 52 weeks a year.

At this pace I'm barely on pace to reach the coast before my three-year anniversary, so my goal for 2012 is to make the coast by December 26, 2012 or before the world is destroyed.

I'm currently slightly more than halfway across Wyoming, headed toward Yellowstone National Park and Montana.

Is there a reason you started on the east coast?

Simply Red
12-26-2011, 09:48 PM
the people wanna see the Rain Man Nike Flights!!! they've spoken!

http://i44.tinypic.com/1zv66w5.gif

Rain Man
12-26-2011, 09:49 PM
Is there a reason you started on the east coast?

Yeah, the web site only gives you one route. So I really don't understand why I start in Yorktown, VA, and end in Florence, OR, but that's the deal that was on the table so I took it.

Old Dog
01-01-2012, 09:43 AM

Congrats. I finished my first year at an average of 3.61 miles per day or 1318 miles. I'm about 1/3 of the way across Missouri as we head into 2012. This coming month may well be my worst mileage month to date since the Mrs and I are going on a week long cruise for our 25th anniversary and then pretty much as soon as we get back I'm going to be out of town for a week for work.
I guess I have the rest of the year to make up ground though. I'm thinking I may actually attempt a half marathon or something like that this year (though thouse words sound simewhat insane as they rattle aroud in my skull).

patteeu
01-01-2012, 01:01 PM
Congrats. I finished my first year at an average of 3.61 miles per day or 1318 miles. I'm about 1/3 of the way across Missouri as we head into 2012. This coming month may well be my worst mileage month to date since the Mrs and I are going on a week long cruise for our 25th anniversary and then pretty much as soon as we get back I'm going to be out of town for a week for work.
I guess I have the rest of the year to make up ground though. I'm thinking I may actually attempt a half marathon or something like that this year (though thouse words sound simewhat insane as they rattle aroud in my skull).

Aren't cruise ships big enough to run on? Alternatively, do you log miles when you run on a treadmill or is that cheating?

Rain Man
01-01-2012, 02:35 PM
Congrats, old dog. You're making good time. You should do a half-marathon, too. I was rather unbelieving when I signed up for my first one, but they're fun and you get some cool t-shirts.

Rain Man
01-01-2012, 02:39 PM
Aren't cruise ships big enough to run on? Alternatively, do you log miles when you run on a treadmill or is that cheating?

Back in 2010 I was on ferries and a cruise ship for about 17 days over the course of a month. I was doing my jog around the ship on the deck and was told to stop. They said that the corners are blind and put you at risk of colliding with someone. I think that was on the ferry, though, but I suspect the cruise ships might have the same rule.

The treadmill question is compelling. The only time I used a treadmill was on that same cruise ship since I couldn't run, and I didn't count it. But I suspect I'm in the minority on that, and most people would. My take was that I couldn't confirm distance, and I think that treadmill miles are easier than road miles.

The treadmill question is compelling.

Old Dog
01-01-2012, 03:50 PM
The one we will be on has a small track (10 laps = 1 mile). I absolutely count treadmill miles....I would fathom that about 1/3 to 1/2 of mine since I started are on the treadmill.

My take was that I couldn't confirm distance, and I think that treadmill miles are easier than road miles.

As long as yuo're not cheating by hanging onto the siderails I don't think there's much of a difference.

Rain Man
02-12-2012, 07:50 PM
I'm in Montana now. 2,938 miles.

Old dog, are you in Kansas now?

rageeumr
02-12-2012, 09:29 PM

Full disclosure... I count my treadmill miles. That's not a big deal because I probably have less than 5 a month. And I typically set the incline at 1.1 or so to account for the easiness.

But I also count my bike trainer miles. I have a ton of those. But riding on a bike trainer might be tougher than riding outside. No coasting on the trainer. No wind resistance, either, though.

Rain Man
02-12-2012, 09:44 PM
Full disclosure... I count my treadmill miles. That's not a big deal because I probably have less than 5 a month. And I typically set the incline at 1.1 or so to account for the easiness.

But I also count my bike trainer miles. I have a ton of those. But riding on a bike trainer might be tougher than riding outside. No coasting on the trainer. No wind resistance, either, though.

Eh, I probably just don't understand the treadmill dynamics since I almost never use them.

What proportion of your miles are bike versus run? I count walking and running miles, though I only count walking if it's specifically for exercise, defined as "a normal person would drive". For the longest time it was almost exactly 50/50 between them, but for some reason my running is now about 100 miles ahead of my walking.

Old Dog
02-13-2012, 11:46 AM
Old dog, are you in Kansas now?
Nope, still in Missouri. Should hit the state line sometime next month. I did make my 100 miles in January though. 115 to be exact, though 48 miles of it was from the 1st through the 7th. I knew I wasn't gonna do much running while on the cruise.

I have the incline on mine set at 2.0. Maybe I'm just the odd duck, but I don't find the treadmill any easier than the road/track except for the fact that I can do something else while on it. It takes me about the same amount of time to cover my four miles (treadmill takes me about a minute longer for the four miles total, but not a big difference).

Old Dog
02-28-2012, 01:20 PM
Crossed into Kansas yesterday evening and will shortly be on roads I have driven numerous times in southeastern Kansas when I was younger.
490.5 miles to the halfway mark.

Rain Man
02-28-2012, 01:30 PM
Crossed into Kansas yesterday evening and will shortly be on roads I have driven numerous times in southeastern Kansas when I was younger.
490.5 miles to the halfway mark.

Awesome. Crossing the Mississippi was big for me, but reaching Kansas psychologically started me thinking that I was now in the west.

I hit 3,000 miles this weekend, and am now in southwest Montana. For the first time I'm starting to think seriously about finishing this thing. I'm not sure what I'll do next, but I'm still roughly 10 months away.

Rain Man
05-28-2012, 09:56 PM
As an update, I'm about 40 miles into Idaho now. Currently at 3,338.2 miles.

Old Dog
05-29-2012, 07:04 AM
As an update, I'm about 40 miles into Idaho now. Currently at 3,338.2 miles.

Making good time.
I'm @ 1857 right now and should hit halfway (2031.5) sometime around the 3rd week of July.

Rain Man
05-29-2012, 08:49 AM
Making good time.
I'm @ 1857 right now and should hit halfway (2031.5) sometime around the 3rd week of July.

So is that roughly central Kansas?

Old Dog
05-29-2012, 09:05 AM
Yep, roughly 150 miles to Colorado.

Rain Man
05-29-2012, 09:25 AM
I think rageeumr is just about to hit the coast. For some glitchy reason I frequently get updates that he passed me even though he's ahead of me, and his last one was at 3,848 miles.

Old Dog
06-07-2012, 06:04 PM
Flippin' site has been down for a week now.

Rain Man
06-07-2012, 06:35 PM
Yeah, I'd been meaning to see if you had the problem too or if it's just me. This morning I resorted to writing my miles down by hand. It seems to go down frequently, but never for this long. I hope it comes back up soon.

Old Dog
06-07-2012, 06:41 PM
Yeah, I have been keeping my miles on a spreadsheet as well. The first time it went down after I started I made a by month spreadsheet just in case. I have also made note of each state line.
I'm addicted to it and I blame YOU Mr Rain Man (Thank You, I'm in a hell of a lot better shape than I was when I started)

Rain Man
06-07-2012, 06:44 PM
Y'know, I'm six months from finishing and I'm not sure what I'm going to do after that. I don't really want to start it again since there's only one route, and I experimented a while back to see if I could put in negative numbers and run it backwards, and it won't let me do that. I wish they had another route.

Old Dog
06-07-2012, 06:47 PM
Ditto (well, other than that whole 6 months thing....I've probably got another 18 months to 2 years). I E-mailed them about a year ago and asked if there was any possibility of another route and never got a reply.
I'm sure there's another site somewhere similar. I'll have to try to find one. Hell, at this point I would pay for another site.

Rain Man
06-07-2012, 07:39 PM
Ditto (well, other than that whole 6 months thing....I've probably got another 18 months to 2 years). I E-mailed them about a year ago and asked if there was any possibility of another route and never got a reply.
I'm sure there's another site somewhere similar. I'll have to try to find one. Hell, at this point I would pay for another site.

Want to invest with me in building one?

Funny thing is, I just had dinner with a friend who started using it when she saw my updates on Facebook. Her daughter is also starting to use it as a fundraising tool, getting pledges for every mile. That use is something that I was thinking about as a potential moneymaker.

rageeumr
06-07-2012, 08:28 PM
I missed when this thread was bumped last week. I think I'm fairly close to being done, but obviously I haven't been able to enter any mileage. I have my half Ironman on Sunday, and I think the 70.3 (I guess the swim doesn't count, so 69.1) will probably put me over the top if I'm not already there.

Have you guys noticed that the site has been in various states of "downness"? Like right now I get an immediate error saying the site isn't available. Sometimes it seems to time out after a while. Earlier this week I could get onto the site, but it would time out when I tried to log in. Weird.

Old Dog
06-08-2012, 04:31 PM
The site is back up PBJ

Old Dog
06-08-2012, 04:33 PM

I would probably be little to no help where CPU type stuff is concerned, but I would certainly be willing to listen to any ideas and invest time and money to do what I could.

Old Dog
06-08-2012, 04:38 PM
It would appear that at 1882.1 I just tripped and fell off of the road or something.

-King-
06-08-2012, 04:41 PM

Funny thing is, I just had dinner with a friend who started using it when she saw my updates on Facebook. Her daughter is also starting to use it as a fundraising tool, getting pledges for every mile. That use is something that I was thinking about as a potential moneymaker.

Wow, I was actually thinking the same thing. Told my sister about it and then totally forgot. But it would be a good idea for a site with multiple customizable routes so they can take routes that pass through their favorite cities and what not. Also instead of some lame photo, it would be cool if the map were interactive so when you reach a city, you can explore it a bit kind of like using Google Street.

Don't even know how to begin starting that, so I guess that's why I forgot about it the first time.

Rain Man
06-08-2012, 06:12 PM
Wow, I was actually thinking the same thing. Told my sister about it and then totally forgot. But it would be a good idea for a site with multiple customizable routes so they can take routes that pass through their favorite cities and what not. Also instead of some lame photo, it would be cool if the map were interactive so when you reach a city, you can explore it a bit kind of like using Google Street.

Don't even know how to begin starting that, so I guess that's why I forgot about it the first time.

Yeah, exactly. I think you could market it as a fundraising tool.

Dibs on the idea unless you want to partner on it.

Old Dog
07-11-2012, 07:24 AM
Just passed the halfway point of 2031.5 miles

TimeForWasp
07-11-2012, 07:29 AM

You mean you actually RAN that far?????????????????????? and are gonna run TWICE that far???????????????????????? Unbeleivable

TimeForWasp
07-11-2012, 07:29 AM
Ok I read it again, but still unbelievable

rageeumr
07-11-2012, 07:39 AM
I wrapped this thing up a couple of weeks ago. My thoughts:

Very anticlimactic. When you finish the route, there's not really even any indication that you are done. They keep logging mileage, but you just don't move. I didn't even get an email from them saying I was done like I got when I finished each state.

Perhaps the most disappointing thing is that you can't even see the ocean in the final pic. It's just some random street in Florence, OR. I didn't run/bike across the GD country to look at a Taco Bell, a-holes.

Old Dog
07-11-2012, 08:54 AM
Congrats rageemur.

Old Dog
07-12-2012, 05:08 PM
I felt kinda bad for the hitch hiker at 2038.5, but not enough to pick him up.
8 miles today. I just realized that it flips you over into the next state when you pass the last town in the state you're in. I actually have about another 14 miles I believe to the Kansas/Colorado line.

Rain Man
07-13-2012, 06:01 PM
I wrapped this thing up a couple of weeks ago. My thoughts:

Congrats!

You broke my heart with the spoiler, though. I was expecting some Lewis and Clark thing, or a picture of Sasquatch running down the coast or something.

Rain Man
07-13-2012, 06:01 PM

Awesome. It's all downhill once you pass 50 percent. Plus, you get some nice scenery.

Rain Man
07-13-2012, 06:02 PM
I'm at 3,507 miles now. I'm probably 30 or 35 miles from the Oregon border, wandering through western Idaho.

Rain Man
09-23-2012, 07:57 PM
I'm at 3,821.2 miles as of today. I'm almost halfway across Oregon, and am within 250 miles of the finish line. I can almost smell the salty sea air.

Old Dog
09-24-2012, 07:07 AM
Nice job

I'm at 2290 (972 for the year) about 202 miles from Wyoming

ziggysocki
10-05-2012, 06:49 PM
I have run TONS since I last posted here. At least 6 50k races, 4-5 marathons, and lots and lots of training runs from 10-30 miles. Makes me wish I would have kept this up... Great to see how well everyone has done, congrats to all.

Old Dog
11-22-2012, 10:27 AM
Crossed the border from Colorado into Wyoming this morning.

Rain Man
12-06-2012, 02:51 PM
Crossed the border from Colorado into Wyoming this morning.

Awesome. What is that, around 2,800 miles or so?

I hit 4,000 miles yesterday. I've been hobbled by a foot injury, so I've been trudging for the past couple of months.

My goal was to finish within three years. I'm 58 miles from the finish line right now, and need to make it by December 26th. I think I can actually do that, but it's going to be close. My normal pace would make it easily, but I pretty much haven't been able to do any long runs recently.

Old Dog
12-07-2012, 11:06 AM
The CO/WY line was at 2492.3, I'm at 2544 now. I probably won't make it in three years (would have to average 120 miles a month in 2014 to do it) but it's possible. I'm guessing that mid-February of 2015 is much more likely).
I'm going to finally attempt a half marathon this coming April though. My daughter mentioned a week or so ago that she was thinking of it and it sounds like a good idea (don't believe I just typed that).
I have NO delusions about "competing", even within my age group, but I figure if I can do it then I may be able to do a full marathon in 2015......as stupid as that may sound, it's always been a "bucket list" kind of thing. Again, not "competitively" but finishing anywhere within the alloted time would be a major win to me.

Rain Man
12-07-2012, 12:18 PM
The CO/WY line was at 2492.3, I'm at 2544 now. I probably won't make it in three years (would have to average 120 miles a month in 2014 to do it) but it's possible. I'm guessing that mid-February of 2015 is much more likely).
I'm going to finally attempt a half marathon this coming April though. My daughter mentioned a week or so ago that she was thinking of it and it sounds like a good idea (don't believe I just typed that).
I have NO delusions about "competing", even within my age group, but I figure if I can do it then I may be able to do a full marathon in 2015......as stupid as that may sound, it's always been a "bucket list" kind of thing. Again, not "competitively" but finishing anywhere within the alloted time would be a major win to me.

Are you in your 40s? I'm in that 40s group, and it mostly seems to consist of really good runners who have run their whole life and are good at it, and then a few people like me who are new to the sport and aren't that athletic. My goal is usually to not be in the bottom 20 percent of my age/gender group, and sometimes I accomplish that.

So yeah, don't worry about your age group at all. I prefer to compete against the field as a whole, but mostly I just compete against my own times and try to get better.

Old Dog
12-07-2012, 01:16 PM
Yep....40s
And competing against anyone won't be a part of my thoughts. As weak as it may seem, If I can complete it, I'll consider it a success. I enjoy running (again, don't believe I just typed that) but I don't fancy myself a runner.
Hell, before I started this, I literally couldn't go more than a couple of miles at a sub 10 pace. I may still be looking at a time north 2 hours for 13 miles (have never timed more than six), but as sad as it would be to any real runner if I can do it under 2 1/2 hours, I honestly think I'll be OK with it.

Rain Man
12-07-2012, 11:17 PM
Yep....40s
And competing against anyone won't be a part of my thoughts. As weak as it may seem, If I can complete it, I'll consider it a success. I enjoy running (again, don't believe I just typed that) but I don't fancy myself a runner.
Hell, before I started this, I literally couldn't go more than a couple of miles at a sub 10 pace. I may still be looking at a time north 2 hours for 13 miles (have never timed more than six), but as sad as it would be to any real runner if I can do it under 2 1/2 hours, I honestly think I'll be OK with it.

I've only broken two hours once in roughly 30 flat halves (not counting my mountain races), and I think two hours is pretty good. I've been as high as the top 26 percent of runners with a time around two hours.

I hurt my foot a couple of months ago and have barely run at all while healing up, so I'm out of shape and overweight. I try to run one half-marathon every month, so after considerable musing I signed up for one in December just to keep the streak going. It's not going to be pretty.

Rain Man
12-23-2012, 01:22 AM
Annnnnnd.....done.

Two years, 11 months, and 27 days - 1,092 days covering 4,070.3 miles, and as of today I have finished my virtual run across the United States. Some stats:

Average Daily Distance: 3.72 miles per day.
Average Weekly Distance: 26.1 miles per week (Equivalent distance of 155 marathons - one per week)

Most Miles in One Month: 175.6 in January 2010 (5.66 miles per day)
Fewest Miles in One Month: 51.1 in July 2010 (1.66 miles per day - minor knee injury and big vacation)

Most Miles in One Week: 51.4 in July 2011 (7.34 miles per day - three-day weekend over July 4th)
Fewest Miles in One Week: 0.0 in July 2010 (knee injury and I was on a boat all week). This is the only week of the run in which I logged zero miles.

Miles By Month:

January – 464.4 (I guess cold weather is my forte.)
February – 316.9
March – 378.0
April – 357.0
May – 332.2
June – 297.5
July – 316.2
August – 292.8
September – 344.7
October – 288.4
November – 312.2
December – 370.0

Total: 2,115.6 miles running, 1,954.7 miles of exercise walking (mostly to work and back).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pKKmzmeU5-0

Old Dog
12-23-2012, 10:02 AM
Congrats

Old Dog
03-05-2013, 12:45 PM
Hit Montana this morning. 1148 miles to go.
Revised goal to try and make it by Christmas. (Will need to average just over 117 miles per month to make it by then.....barring injury I should be able to)

EagleRob
03-06-2013, 08:05 AM

Old Dog
03-06-2013, 08:14 AM
LOL

Rausch
03-06-2013, 08:16 AM
Annnnnnd.....done.

Two years, 11 months, and 27 days - 1,092 days covering 4,070.3 miles, and as of today I have finished my virtual run across the United States. Some stats:

Average Daily Distance: 3.72 miles per day.
Average Weekly Distance: 26.1 miles per week (Equivalent distance of 155 marathons - one per week)

Most Miles in One Month: 175.6 in January 2010 (5.66 miles per day)
Fewest Miles in One Month: 51.1 in July 2010 (1.66 miles per day - minor knee injury and big vacation)

Most Miles in One Week: 51.4 in July 2011 (7.34 miles per day - three-day weekend over July 4th)
Fewest Miles in One Week: 0.0 in July 2010 (knee injury and I was on a boat all week). This is the only week of the run in which I logged zero miles.

Miles By Month:

January – 464.4 (I guess cold weather is my forte.)
February – 316.9
March – 378.0
April – 357.0
May – 332.2
June – 297.5
July – 316.2
August – 292.8
September – 344.7
October – 288.4
November – 312.2
December – 370.0

Total: 2,115.6 miles running, 1,954.7 miles of exercise walking (mostly to work and back).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pKKmzmeU5-0

You have a very active mind.

I think the most impressive statistic not mentioned here is how many ideas or inspirations you may have experienced due to slowing down the pace of your life by just a few minutes a day...

Old Dog
06-06-2013, 09:42 AM
Crossed the Montana border into Idaho this morning. Currently at 3,290 and have 773 miles to go. Should finish by Christmas and make it in just under three years.

Rain Man
06-06-2013, 09:46 AM
Crossed the Montana border into Idaho this morning. Currently at 3,290 and have 773 miles to go. Should finish by Christmas and make it in just under three years.

Nice work. It's kind of all downhill from here.

I remember Montana taking a lot longer than I expected. It was just a corner of the state, but that state has really big corners.

Rain Man
06-06-2013, 10:32 AM
By the way, I started a new run. I found another running web site that I could twist around to map a long route, and you can pick the route. So I started in Van Buren, Maine, and my goal is to visit every state. Along the way, I have to go by the state capitol building and also visit at least one famous state place.

I'm almost through Maine now, having stopped at Acadia National Park, passed by the capitol building in Augusta, and passed through Kennebunkport.

And before you say that Maine is a small state ... holy cow. It takes forever to get across that state. It's diamond shaped so it's long from north to south, and you have to do a curve around the coast to stay on roads. I've gone 477 miles so far on the map below and I'm still not out of Maine. It's a longer distance north to south than are Colorado and Missouri.

Old Dog
06-06-2013, 10:41 AM
Would you be inclined to share the site?

Old Dog
06-06-2013, 10:43 AM
Gonna be a hell of a trip to hit Hawaii and Alaska

Rain Man
06-06-2013, 10:59 AM
Would you be inclined to share the site?

Oh. I forgot that part.

It's http://gmap-pedometer.com/. It's not designed for a long-distance run, but if you do a run and save it as a route, and then edit it the next day and add your next run to it, you can make it work pretty well. It's a bummer that they don't do the street view so you can see where you're at, but you can make the map.

And yeah, I haven't quite figured out how to handle Alaska and Hawaii yet.

Old Dog
06-06-2013, 11:27 AM
Thank you, kind sir. I'll check it out.

Bob Dole
07-09-2013, 10:17 AM
Beta signup for a runner training app http://fittic.com/

Old Dog
08-12-2013, 08:59 AM
Crossed the Idaho-Oregon border this morning, leaving me with 493 miles until completion. Have logged 876 miles this year.

Old Dog
12-12-2013, 08:57 AM
And DONE
2 years 11 months 12 days (1077 days)

Going to take a few weeks off now to let my knee rest (been killing me for the last couple of months, but wanted to finish this) and then start something new.

Rain Man
12-12-2013, 10:28 AM
And DONE

Going to take a few weeks off now to let my knee rest (been killing me for the last couple of months, but wanted to finish this) and then start something new.

High-five! Right here! (Holding up hand.)

I've been struggling to find another site to map, though I've been tracking miles. I found a couple that looked good, but they would both blow up at around 600 miles.

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2012/07/10/article-2171656-14021DA6000005DC-849_634x415.jpg

patteeu
12-12-2013, 09:03 PM
And DONE

http://image.motortrend.com/f/wot/jimmie-johnson-wins-2013-daytona-500-danica-patrick-best-female-finish-in-race-history-332945/55306931+w179+h179+cr1+ar0/Jimmie-Johnson-Daytona-500-Victory-Celebration.jpg