PDA

View Full Version : Football NFL 2010 Free Agency

Wilson8
12-30-2009, 01:18 PM
Free agent status at risk for 212 players

WASHINGTON -- Miles Austin of Dallas, Brandon Marshall of Denver and six other Pro Bowl picks are among more than 200 NFL players who would lose their status as unrestricted free agents this offseason if the league and its union can't agree on a new labor contract.

According to a list obtained by The Associated Press on Wednesday, there are 212 players who would be considered restricted free agents -- instead of unrestricted -- if there is no salary cap in 2010. There is at least one player from each of the NFL's 32 teams on the list.

In an uncapped year, a player would need at least six years in the NFL, up from the current minimum of four years in the league, to be an unrestricted free agent able to sign with any team.

Pro Bowl linebackers Elvis Dumervil of Denver and DeMeco Ryans of Houston are in the group of potentially affected players, as are starting quarterbacks Kyle "Pro Bowl" Orton of Denver and Jason Campbell of Washington.

The other players announced Tuesday as selections for this season's Pro Bowl who could find themselves missing out on a chance to cash in this offseason are Packers safety Nick Collins, Patriots guard Logan Mankins, Saints guard Jahri Evans and Eagles fullback Leonard Weaver.

In addition to the NFL's sacks leader (Dumervil), and the NFC's leader in yards receiving (Austin), other prominent names on the list include Chargers linebacker Shawne "roidman" Merriman, Jets receiver Braylon Edwards, Colts safety Antoine Bethea, Dolphins running back Ronnie Brown and Patriots kicker Stephen Gostkowski.

If they lose out on the chance to become unrestricted free agents this offseason, players might not get what they were expecting to be a huge payoff. They also won't have the luxury of moving freely anywhere in the league.

A restricted free agent's old club gets a chance to offer the player a one-year contract at different levels of pay which determine what level of draft-choice compensation the old club would receive for losing the player. And the old club has the right to match any offer another club makes to a restricted free agent.

Other rules changes would go into effect if there is no salary cap in 2010. There would be no minimum or maximum amounts teams could spend on payroll, and each club would get an extra "transition player" tag. A "transition player" must be offered a minimum of the average of the top 10 salaries of the prior season at the player's position or 120 percent of the player's previous year's salary, whichever is greater.

Copyright 2009 by The Associated Press
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4781911

Buck
12-30-2009, 01:19 PM
Ok, what if someone is in their 5th year now and is a "Franchise Tag" player. Next year would he be UFA or RFA?

The reason I ask is because Darren Sproles is in his 5th year now and is the Chargers Franchise player.

So next year, according to that, he'd become a Restricted Free Agent after having been Unrestricted last year.

Mr. Laz
12-30-2009, 01:22 PM
The Chiefs are sooooo screwed if this happens

BigMeatballDave
12-30-2009, 01:27 PM
I guess I'm gonna have to watch the NHL in 2011...

DaneMcCloud
12-30-2009, 01:27 PM

It's going to happen.

Mile High Mania
12-30-2009, 01:29 PM
I hope this ends well for the NFL, players and fans... the system is obviously going to change and while the NFL is at an all-time high, change may not be a bad thing. I just hope things can be worked out and any sort of 'stoppage' is prevented.

Wilson8
12-30-2009, 01:31 PM
This story is about a year old but it explains 2010 NFL free agency a little better…

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d80864e15&template=with-video&confirm=true

Uncapped years would actually limit free agency

Now that NFL owners have voted unanimously to end their agreement with the players' union in 2011, they still have all of 2008 and 2009 to negotiate a new CBA before the "trigger" points that are in place to encourage negotiations would fire and things wouldn't be as we know them today.
The one factor fans have heard the most about is that 2010 and 2011 would be "uncapped" years. But there are three main trigger points that will go off in 2010 if there isn't a new CBA in place, and they may offset the fear of life with no salary cap. They are: 1) free agency will require six years of service (instead of four years in 2010 and five years in 2011); 2) teams will have three tags to use to restrict free agents instead of one tag, as they do now; and 3) teams that go deep in the playoffs could have some spending restrictions.
Let's take a look at the practical side of these three concepts to get a better understanding of just what they mean to the players and the clubs:
Longer to hit free agency
To get a clearer picture, let's see what this year's free-agency period would have looked like if players needed more than four years of service to reach the open market.
Let's start with the Tennessee Titans. They lost defensive ends Travis LaBoy (Arizona) and Antwan Odom (Cincinnati) as well as guard Jacob Bell (St. Louis). The three players signed for a combined total of $87.5 million ($32 million guaranteed). If the extension on time to free agency was in place, none of these players would have been free. All of them had just four years of service and would have remained Titans for upwards of two more years. The Titans would have probably changed their draft strategy and not gone after defensive linemen Jason Jones or William Hayes and could have taken a receiver or a corner.
Other players that never would have seen a big payday: Michael Turner, who signed a $34.5 million deal ($15 million guaranteed) with Atlanta, would still be LaDainian Tomlinson's backup in San Diego; Gibril Wilson would still be a Giant; D.J. Hackett a Seahawk.
Teams have gotten very smart about the type of players they pay in free agency. They target young players four or five years removed from college that are approaching the big second contract in their careers. That group would be eliminated if teams vote not to continue the current CBA and it gets to an uncapped year in 2010 and 2011.
All you have to do to realize how lean the free agent market will be is go back and look at all the players from the 2005 draft who signed five-year deals, all the players from the 2006 draft who signed four-year deals and even players from the 2007 draft who signed four-year deals. None of these players, under the non-CBA trigger points, would be eligible for unrestricted free agency when their originals contracts expire. Here are some examples of whom it might affect if the owners choose not to continue the current CBA and a new CBA isn't negotiated:
Second-round picks from 2006 such as DeMeco Ryans, D'Qwell Jackson, Rocky McIntosh, Thomas Howard, Deuce Lutui, LenDale White, Cedric Griffin, Marcus McNeill, Greg Jennings, and Tarvaris Jackson should be the core of the free-agent market in 2010, but unless they have the ability to "void" their contracts, they will not be free as planned. They would stay with their teams as restricted free agents and it might mean two more years of service before they experience the big payday.
The 2007 draft, especially in the second and third rounds, already has a number of budding stars such as Justin Blalock, Trent Edwards, Eric Wright, James Jones, Tony Ugoh, Samson Satele, Sidney Rice, Steve Smith, David Harris, Zach Miller, LaMarr Woodley, Brandon Mebane, and Arron Sears, to name a few. All are scheduled to be free in 2011, but all would fall short of the five years of service required under the trigger points.
There are at least another 30 to 50 quality young players from later rounds of the '06 and '07 drafts who will not see free agency -- players such as Elvis Dumervil, Willie Colon, Dawan Landry, and Antoine Bethea from 2006, and Marshal Yanda, Kevin Boss, Michael Bush, Cliff Ryan, and Tanard Jackson from '07.
Three tags instead of one
Currently, a team can put either a franchise tag (average of the top five salaries at his position) or a transition tag (average of the top ten salaries at his position) on any one player on the club to protect the team from losing the unrestricted free agent. If the NFL gets to an uncapped year in 2010 and 2011, teams will have use of one franchise tag and two transition tags. So not only would none of the young players with less than six years of service be free, but now the top three players who are eligible for free agency on a roster can be protected.
If this situation existed in 2008, a team like Pittsburgh -- which used a transition tag to retain OT Max Starks -- could have also tagged Alan Faneca with either a transition or franchise tag if it so desired. If every team in the league used one or two tags, not even the three they would possess, it could take another 40 quality free agents off the market.
There is speculation teams would not overuse this trigger because so many of their quality younger players would not be free to depart.
Playoff restrictions
If the league gets to the point of an uncapped year, people are afraid that deep-pocket owners such as Jerry Jones and Daniel Snyder will come in and buy a championship. If the aggressive owners already have playoff teams, there will be restrictions on how much money they can spend. The formula may slide with the number of players they lose in free agency, but the plan is designed to not let teams buy a championship. The truth is, the first two triggers aren't going to leave too many players available to acquire anyway.
Time will tell, but I think the NFL and the NFLPA will negotiate a new CBA before we ever get to 2010. I also believe a number of the players looking at the prospect of 2010 and 2011 being uncapped and preventing them from being free agents will try to sign long-term extensions with their teams in the near future.
And don't think all the trigger points favor the clubs, because there are other things -- like the end of the NFL draft in 2011 -- which the league doesn't necessarily want to see. And the emergence of a new league could complicate matters. If the owners decide not to continue the CBA this week, all is not lost. There is time, and there are triggers in place, to get this solved.

chiefzilla1501
12-30-2009, 01:32 PM
Still holding out hope that it doesn't happen.

I think there are a lot of people who know they're going to get screwed. These second contract guys as well as veterans at the peak of their career, they're going to get hurt a lot by this.

Wilson8
12-30-2009, 01:47 PM
Sorry that last article was not the one that I thought it was. This next story is by the same NFL writer and it has some better info…

2010: An uncapped year odyssey Last year's story

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d808736ba&template=with-video&confirm=true

It seems like a long time before the 2010 free agency period will be upon us, but it is amazing how many players haven't even started to think about how it relates to them.
I spent the better part of the week talking to NFL players about how an uncapped year in 2010 would affect them. Most didn't know, but promised to find out.
Here's some early indications of what's ahead.
A general manager told me that the projections for players scheduled to be free agents -- if it were a capped year -- could be upwards of 170 fewer players if it is uncapped. Every player from the 2005 draft who signed a five-year contract and every player who signed a four-year deal in 2006 would miss out on eligibility for free agency and revert back to their club as a restricted free agent. Keep in mind, teams target this group over all others when it comes to spending the big money in free agency.
On the surface it might appear that the older veterans would get the windfall with their younger competitors off the market, but this group will take a hit because teams will have three tags instead of one to restrict true veterans from being entirely free. Another general manager projects that this mechanism will lock up 30 players. As you can see, 200 players would be off the market.
There could still be a few choice players left to test free agency and a number of solid players on bad teams will be looking to go to contending teams. A team such as the Patriots has always done a great job in free agency, getting very good veterans on reasonable deals because a player wants a chance at a Super Bowl ring. Well, there will be a "Final 8" rule in 2010.
The rule will restrict the final eight teams in the playoffs from signing free agents. The final four teams shall not be permitted to negotiate and sign any unrestricted free agent to a player contract except for players who acquired their status by being cut or were on the final four team when their contract expired. Playoff teams five thru eight get a break to sign one player with a salary of $4,925,000 or more and any number of players with a first-year salary of no more than $3,275,000 and an annual increase of no more than 30 percent in the following years.

There is a mechanism to permit the final eight teams to sign an unrestricted free agent for each one of their own unrestricted free agents who sign with another club as long as they don't spend more than what their own lost player received from his new club.
For all practical purposes, free agency will not have any teeth in 2010 and close to 200 players hoping to hit a big pay day will have to wait at least a year and risk injury.

DaneMcCloud
12-30-2009, 01:47 PM
Still holding out hope that it doesn't happen.

I think there are a lot of people who know they're going to get screwed. These second contract guys as well as veterans at the peak of their career, they're going to get hurt a lot by this.

The issue is MUCH bigger than just this example.

The owners want a portion of the revenue back that's currently being shared with the players.

There is no way they have an agreement in place before the current CBA expires.

No way.

A lockout in 2011 is very much a possibility.

Buck
12-30-2009, 01:50 PM
Sorry that last article was not the one that I thought it was. This next story is by the same NFL writer and it has some better info…

2010: An uncapped year odyssey Last year's story

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d808736ba&template=with-video&confirm=true

It seems like a long time before the 2010 free agency period will be upon us, but it is amazing how many players haven't even started to think about how it relates to them.
I spent the better part of the week talking to NFL players about how an uncapped year in 2010 would affect them. Most didn't know, but promised to find out.
Here's some early indications of what's ahead.
A general manager told me that the projections for players scheduled to be free agents -- if it were a capped year -- could be upwards of 170 fewer players if it is uncapped. Every player from the 2005 draft who signed a five-year contract and every player who signed a four-year deal in 2006 would miss out on eligibility for free agency and revert back to their club as a restricted free agent. Keep in mind, teams target this group over all others when it comes to spending the big money in free agency.
On the surface it might appear that the older veterans would get the windfall with their younger competitors off the market, but this group will take a hit because teams will have three tags instead of one to restrict true veterans from being entirely free. Another general manager projects that this mechanism will lock up 30 players. As you can see, 200 players would be off the market.
There could still be a few choice players left to test free agency and a number of solid players on bad teams will be looking to go to contending teams. A team such as the Patriots has always done a great job in free agency, getting very good veterans on reasonable deals because a player wants a chance at a Super Bowl ring. Well, there will be a "Final 8" rule in 2010.
The rule will restrict the final eight teams in the playoffs from signing free agents. The final four teams shall not be permitted to negotiate and sign any unrestricted free agent to a player contract except for players who acquired their status by being cut or were on the final four team when their contract expired. Playoff teams five thru eight get a break to sign one player with a salary of $4,925,000 or more and any number of players with a first-year salary of no more than $3,275,000 and an annual increase of no more than 30 percent in the following years.

There is a mechanism to permit the final eight teams to sign an unrestricted free agent for each one of their own unrestricted free agents who sign with another club as long as they don't spend more than what their own lost player received from his new club.
For all practical purposes, free agency will not have any teeth in 2010 and close to 200 players hoping to hit a big pay day will have to wait at least a year and risk injury.

Holy Shit, you gotta be kidding me?

DaneMcCloud
12-30-2009, 01:52 PM
Holy Shit, you gotta be kidding me?

LMAO

What do you think I've been blabbing about all year in regards to the Chiefs improving through free-agency in 2010?

I must have more than 200 posts on the subject.

SenselessChiefsFan
12-30-2009, 01:54 PM

Not really. Chiefs have extra draft picks. They can make trades for restricted free agents.

They might be able to get something for DJ as well.

We'll see how it goes.

Even though this is an 'uncapped' year, teams will still have budgets. And, given the economy, I doubt it is the free for all that some think.

Wilson8
12-30-2009, 01:56 PM
Ok, what if someone is in their 5th year now and is a "Franchise Tag" player. Next year would he be UFA or RFA?

Chargers | Sproles entering contract year
Sun, 14 Jun 2009 10:51:08 -0700

Nick Canepa, of The San Diego Union-Tribune, reports San Diego Chargers RB Darren Sproles is scheduled to become an unrestricted free agent at the end of the 2009 season. The team would like to sign him to a long-term deal. However, if the NFL is not able to complete a new CBA, he would become a restricted free-agent in an uncapped year.
http://www.kffl.com/player/11416/nfl

Hootie
12-30-2009, 01:58 PM
LMAO

What do you think I've been blabbing about all year in regards to the Chiefs improving through free-agency in 2010?

Dude you are the all-knowing, all-mighty DaneMcCloud!

Dude let me pat you on the back some so you don't wear yourself out!

Mr. Laz
12-30-2009, 02:00 PM
Not really. Chiefs have extra draft picks. They can make trades for restricted free agents.

We'll see how it goes.

Even though this is an 'uncapped' year, teams will still have budgets. And, given the economy, I doubt it is the free for all that some think.
you're dreaming ... teams are NOT gonna trade high impact players that are restricted free agents unless they have no other choice.

that cuts the normal free agency by more than half

all the crappy teams looking to go heavy in FA to get better are screwed if a new CBA doesn't happen before FA.

DaneMcCloud
12-30-2009, 02:01 PM

NOT gonna happen.

If it does, someone needs to fire bomb One Arrowhead Drive.

Sure.

A sixer and a pack of smokes.

That's about all he's worth.

If that.

As usual, you're missing the point.

The best players in the league that were scheduled to be free agents after five years are no longer scheduled to be free agents. They're under contract for an additional year.

The talent pool of available free agents will be very, very thin and limited to older guys coming off their second contracts looking for a third.

The economy will play absolutely no role due to the fact that the guys available will be in their 30's and not subject to huge contracts.

The economy.

LMAO

Like that's EVER hurt the NFL, especially with an $18 billion dollar television contract and a one billion dollar deal with Direct TV, let alone their own network.

The economy.

LMAO

Titty Meat
12-30-2009, 02:02 PM
So this means DJ will be a RFA instead of UFA? Dammit.

Hootie
12-30-2009, 02:05 PM
Meh.

If one of these guys that are in line for their first big payday and they get screwed with a tender...if I were them...I'd literally hold out, and hold out for an entire season if the team decides to not give them an extension...

It's bullshit for the players...this isn't MLB...6 years of service DOES NOT work...that's two NFL careers...players that last 6 years are LUCKY...and a lot of these guys signed rookie contracts for peanuts...2nd and 3rd round rookies are only millionaires once or twice over at the end of their initial rookie contracts...

DeezNutz
12-30-2009, 02:05 PM
Dude you are the all-knowing, all-mighty DaneMcCloud!

Dude let me pat you on the back some so you don't wear yourself out!

That's not his back that you're touching now. Damn, Hootie.

DaneMcCloud
12-30-2009, 02:06 PM
That's not his back that you're touching now. Damn, Hootie.

He's a sick, disgusting fuck.

Titty Meat
12-30-2009, 02:09 PM
Like a really good player like Bandon Marshall would come here.

DeezNutz
12-30-2009, 02:09 PM
Like a really good player like Bandon Marshall would come here.

We don't want pieces of shit like that on our team anyway. /CP, summer '09

Hootie
12-30-2009, 02:10 PM
He's a sick, disgusting ****.

LMAO

What do you think I've been blabbing about all year in regards to [myself]?

Titty Meat
12-30-2009, 02:11 PM
We don't want pieces of shit like that on our team anyway. /CP, summer '09

Yea I was one of those people too. A great player doesn't want to play here anyway.

Titty Meat
12-30-2009, 02:11 PM
LMAO

What do you think I've been blabbing about all year in regards to [myself]?

Just ask him out already and STFU.

Hootie
12-30-2009, 02:13 PM
the thing I wonder about is...

Is there a limit to the amount of 1st round tenders teams can put on their restricted free agents? Or can they just pay that >$3M tender for everyone they want to keep and in order for them to lose out a team has to sacrifice a 1st and a 3rd?

Because shit...the Chargers paid Sproles over $6M this year with the franchise tag and next year they can pay him less than $3M and slap a 1st/3rd round tender on the guy and give him a pay decrease to be a Charger again...

Sucks for the players more than anything.

SDChiefs
12-30-2009, 02:20 PM
you're dreaming ... teams are NOT gonna trade high impact players that are restricted free agents unless they have no other choice.

that cuts the normal free agency by more than half

all the crappy teams looking to go heavy in FA to get better are screwed if a new CBA doesn't happen before FA.

You make an offer to an unrestricted free agent. Then they are given a chance to match the offer. If they refuse to then the team has to send them draft pics depending on the players worth. Not really a trade. Just compensating the team for the loss of the player.

Wilson8
12-30-2009, 02:24 PM
Currently for 2010, in addition to the restricted free agents, if a team wants to keep a player and is willing to spend the money, they use either the 2 transition tags (one got added for the uncapped year) or the franchise tag. Unless they come to a new CBA agreement, the most desirable players will not be available to sign as free agents.

DaneMcCloud
12-30-2009, 02:27 PM
You make an offer to an unrestricted free agent. Then they are given a chance to match the offer. If they refuse to then the team has to send them draft pics depending on the players worth. Not really a trade. Just compensating the team for the loss of the player.

Excuse me?

An unrestricted player is just that: Unrestricted. Free to sign with any team of his choice with absolutely no compensation to his previous team.

A restricted free agent is allowed to shop the market, with the original team given the opportunity to match the offer. If the offer is matched, the player stays with his current team. If the offer is not matched, the player is allowed to leave and draft picks are exchanged.

DaWolf
12-30-2009, 02:30 PM
This is why we hired a coach to field a team with 22 guys off the street!

Wilson8
12-30-2009, 02:35 PM
Not too many players are worth giving up a good draft pick for the rights to the restricted free agent. Not a good way for a team like the Chiefs to try and rebuild

Wilson8
12-30-2009, 05:47 PM
Complete list of restricted free agents in an uncapped 2010 season:

ARIZONA CARDINALS: Hamza Abdullah, S; Justin Green, FB; Deuce Lutui, G; Mike Nugent, K; Jerheme Urban, WR; Gabe Watson, DT.

ATLANTA FALCONS: Tyson Clabo, T; Harvey Dahl, G; Jamaal Fudge, S; Michael Koenen, P; Jerious Norwood, RB; Quinn Ojinnaka, G; Charlie Peprah, S.

BALTIMORE RAVENS: Chris Chester, G; Mark Clayton, WR; Billy Cundiff, K; Sam Koch, P; Dawan Landry, S; Tony Moll, T; Quinn Sypniewski, TE; Adam Terry, T; Fabian Washington, CB; Demetrius Williams, WR.

BUFFALO BILLS: Keith Ellison, LB; Gibran Hamdan, QB; Richie Incognito, G; Joe Klopfenstein, TE; George Wilson, S; Ashton Youboty, CB.

CAROLINA PANTHERS: James Anderson, LB; Thomas Davis, LB; Jeff King, TE; Richard Marshall, CB; Rob Petitti, T.

CHICAGO BEARS: Mark Anderson, DE; Josh Bullocks, S; Dusty Dvoracek, DT; Danieal Manning, S; Jamar Williams, LB.

CINCINNATI BENGALS: Abdul Hodge, LB; Rashad Jeanty, LB; Brandon Johnson, LB; Evan Mathis, G; Frostee Rucker, DE.

CLEVELAND BROWNS: Abram Elam, S; Arnold Harrison, LB; Jerome Harrison, RB; D'Qwell Jackson, LB; Brodney Pool, S; Matt Roth, LB; Lawrence Vickers, FB.

DALLAS COWBOYS: Miles Austin, WR; Stephen Bowen, DE; Cletis Gordon, CB; Jason Hatcher, DE; Sam Hurd, WR; Pat McQuistan, T; Duke Preston, C; Cory Procter, G; Gerald Sensabaugh, S; Marcus Spears, DE; Pat Watkins, S; Shaun Suisham, K.

DENVER BRONCOS: Elvis Dumervil, LB; Chris Kuper, G; Brandon Marshall, WR; Kyle Orton, QB; Tony Scheffler, TE; Le Kevin Smith, DE.

DETROIT LIONS: Daniel Bullocks, S; Dylan Gandy, c; Jason Hunter, DE; Adam Jennings, WR; Daniel Loper, G; Ko Simpson, S; Cody Spencer, LB.

GREEN BAY PACKERS: Atari Bigby, S; Will Blackmon, CB; Daryn Colledge, G; Nick Collins, S; Johnny Jolly, DE; John Kuhn, FB; Derrick Martin, S; Jason Spitz, C.

HOUSTON TEXANS: John Busing, S; Rashad Butler, T; Owen Daniels, TE; Ryan Moats, RB; Bernard Pollard, S; DeMeco Ryans, LB; Chris White, C.

INDIANAPOLIS COLTS: Hank Baskett, WR; Antoine Bethea, S; Aaron Francisco, S; Tyjuan Hagler, LB; Marlin Jackson, CB; Tim Jennings, CB; Charlie Johnson, T; Freddy Keiaho, LB; T.J. Rushing, CB.

JACKSONVILLE JAGUARS: Clint Ingram, LB; Montavious Stanley, DT; Troy Williamson, WR.

KANSAS CITY CHIEFS: Brodie Croyle, QB; Derrick Johnson, LB; Corey Mays, LB; Rudy Niswanger, C; Ryan O'Callaghan, T; Jarrad Page, S.

MIAMI DOLPHINS: Ronnie Brown, RB; Anthony Fasano, TE.

MINNESOTA VIKINGS: Ryan Cook, T; Ray Edwards, DE; Fred Evans, DT; Tarvaris Jackson, QB; Karl Paymah, CB; Naufahu Tahi, FB.

NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS: Stephen Gostkowski, K; Logan Mankins, G; Pierre Woods, LB.

NEW ORLEANS SAINTS: Mike Bell, RB; Jammal Brown, T; Jahri Evans, G; Tony Hargrove, DT; Roman Harper, S; Herana-Daze Jones, S; Lance Moore, WR; Courtney Roby, WR; Zach Strief, T; David Thomas, TE; Leigh Torrence, CB.

NEW YORK GIANTS: Chase Blackburn, LB; Kevin Boothe, G; C.C. Brown, S; Barry Cofield, DT; Kevin Dockery, CB; Derek Hagan, WR; Sinorice Moss, WR; Guy Whimper, T; Gerris Wilkinson, LB.

NEW YORK JETS: Kellen Clemens, QB; Drew Coleman, CB; Braylon Edwards, WR; Howard Green, DT; Wayne Hunter, T; Brad Smith, WR; Eric Smith, S; Leon Washington, RB.

OAKLAND RAIDERS: Jon Alston, LB; Khalif Barnes, T; Ricky Brown, LB; Charlie Frye, QB; Thomas Howard, LB; Kirk Morrison, LB; Stanford Routt, CB.

PHILADELPHIA EAGLES: Jason Avant, WR; Nick Cole, C; Omar Gaither, LB; Chris Gocong, LB; Ellis Hobbs, CB; Max Jean-Gilles, G; Alex Smith, TE; Leonard Weaver, FB.

PITTSBURGH STEELERS: Willie Colon, T.

SAN DIEGO CHARGERS: Tim Dobbins, LB; Malcom Floyd, WR; Antonio Garay, DT; Eric Ghiaciuc, C; Marques Harris, LB; Vincent Jackson, WR; Travis Johnson, DE; Marcus McNeill, T; Shawne Merriman, LB; Darren Sproles, RB; Charlie Whitehurst, QB.

SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS: David Baas, G; Ahmad Brooks, LB; Marcus Hudson, CB.

SEATTLE SEAHAWKS: Lance Laury, LB; Jon Ryan, P; Rob Sims, G; Chris Spencer, C; Darryl Tapp, DE.

ST. LOUIS RAMS: Victor Adeyanju, DE; Oshiomogho Atogwe, S; Alex Barron, T; Sam Gado, RB; Gary Gibson, DT; Ruvell Martin, WR; Mark Setterstrom, G.

TAMPA BAY BUCCANEERS: Mark Bradley, WR; Brian Clark, WR; Matt McCoy, LB; Donald Penn, T; Barrett Ruud, LB; Maurice Stovall, WR; Jeremy Trueblood, T; Carnell Williams, RB; Rod Wilson, LB.

TENNESSEE TITANS: Dave Ball, DE; Tony Brown, DT; Bo Scaife, TE; Stephen Tulloch, LB; Kevin Vickerson, DT; LenDale White, RB.

WASHINGTON REDSKINS: Jason Campbell, QB; Reed Doughty, S; Kedric Golston, DT; Rocky McIntosh, LB; Anthony Montgomery, DT; Will Montgomery, C; Carlos Rogers, CB.

Wilson8
12-30-2009, 05:53 PM
List is from http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d81561ba1&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true

SDChiefs
12-30-2009, 05:54 PM
Excuse me?

An unrestricted player is just that: Unrestricted. Free to sign with any team of his choice with absolutely no compensation to his previous team.

A restricted free agent is allowed to shop the market, with the original team given the opportunity to match the offer. If the offer is matched, the player stays with his current team. If the offer is not matched, the player is allowed to leave and draft picks are exchanged.

It was a typo. I meant to say restricted.

Mr. Laz
12-30-2009, 05:56 PM
A great player doesn't want to play here anyway.then go be a fan of another team ... seriously.

RustShack
12-30-2009, 06:02 PM
There will be a new CBA worked out before they let free agency begin. Bank on it.

Wilson8
12-30-2009, 06:07 PM
Another story…

Some players would lose unrestricted free-agent status without cap
WASHINGTON -- Dallas Cowboys wide receiver Miles Austin, Denver Broncos wide receiver Brandon Marshall and six other Pro Bowl picks are among more than 200 NFL players who would lose their status as unrestricted free agents this offseason if the league and its union can't agree on a new labor contract.
According to a list obtained by The Associated Press on Wednesday, there are 212 players who would be considered restricted free agents -- instead of unrestricted -- if there is no salary cap in 2010. There is at least one player from each of the NFL's 32 teams on the list.
Pro Bowl linebackers Elvis Dumervil of the Broncos and DeMeco Ryans of the Houston Texans are in the group of potentially affected players, as are starting quarterbacks Kyle Orton of the Broncos and Jason Campbell of the Washington Redskins.
"Free agency's always been something for the players, always been a great thing," Orton said before the Broncos practiced Wednesday. "If you get one crack at free agency as a player, that's what you dream of. How it stands right now ... guys aren't going to be able to have that dream, to be a free agent. That's a shame for the players, I think."
In an uncapped year, a player would need at least six years in the NFL, up from the current minimum of four years in the league, to be an unrestricted free agent able to sign with any team.
Austin was aware that his free-agency status could change, but he said he wouldn't consider his breakout season bad timing.
"I can't control any of that," he said. "I've just got to stay focused on the things I can control, and that's playing this week and playing hard."
The other Pro Bowl players who could find themselves missing out on a chance to cash in this offseason are Green Bay Packers safety Nick Collins, New England Patriots guard Logan Mankins, New Orleans Saints guard Jahri Evans and Philadelphia Eagles fullback Leonard Weaver.
In addition to the NFL's sacks leader (Dumervil) and the NFC's leader in receiving yards (Austin), other prominent names on the list include San Diego Chargers linebacker Shawne Merriman, New York Jets wide receiver Braylon Edwards, Indianapolis Colts safety Antoine Bethea, Miami Dolphins running back Ronnie Brown and Patriots kicker Stephen Gostkowski.
"If you're a guy that's been in the league a long time, and you know you're pretty much set, you probably have a different opinion about it," Campbell said. "But if you're a guy that's in my position, it's going to affect us not just short term but long term."
If players lose out on the chance to become unrestricted free agents this offseason, they might not receive what they were expecting to be a huge payoff. They also won't have the luxury of moving freely anywhere in the league.
A restricted free agent's old team has a chance to offer the player a one-year contract at different levels of pay which determine what level of draft-choice compensation the old club would receive for losing the player. And the old team has the right to match any offer another club makes to a restricted free agent.
"If you're a free agent, of course you've got a lot of options, but if you're a restricted free agent, it's pretty much the team's choice, depending on what they want to do," Campbell said.
Other rule changes would go into effect if there is no salary cap in 2010. There would be no minimum or maximum amounts that teams could spend on payroll, and each club would have an extra "transition player" tag. A "transition player" must be offered a minimum of the average of the top 10 salaries of the prior season at the player's position or 120 percent of the player's previous year's salary, whichever is greater.
"All of a sudden, your rules change," said Campbell, one of seven Redskins players on the list. "That's the situation I've been dealt, and so have other guys on the team."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d8155f949&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true

DaneMcCloud
12-30-2009, 06:13 PM
There will be a new CBA worked out before they let free agency begin. Bank on it.

Absolutely, unequivocally untrue.

Fritz88
12-30-2009, 06:16 PM
Free agent status at risk for 212 players

WASHINGTON -- Miles Austin of Dallas, Brandon Marshall of Denver and six other Pro Bowl picks are among more than 200 NFL players who would lose their status as unrestricted free agents this offseason if the league and its union can't agree on a new labor contract.

Pro Bowl linebackers Elvis Dumervil of Denver and DeMeco Ryans of Houston are in the group of potentially affected players, as are starting quarterbacks Kyle "Pro Bowl" Orton of Denver and Jason Campbell of Washington.

The other players announced Tuesday as selections for this season's Pro Bowl who could find themselves missing out on a chance to cash in this offseason are Packers safety Nick Collins, Patriots guard Logan Mankins, Saints guard Jahri Evans and Eagles fullback Leonard Weaver.

In addition to the NFL's sacks leader (Dumervil), and the NFC's leader in yards receiving (Austin), other prominent names on the list include Chargers linebacker Shawne "roidman" Merriman, Jets receiver Braylon Edwards, Colts safety Antoine Bethea, Dolphins running back Ronnie Brown and Patriots kicker Stephen Gostkowski.

If they lose out on the chance to become unrestricted free agents this offseason, players might not get what they were expecting to be a huge payoff. They also won't have the luxury of moving freely anywhere in the league.

A restricted free agent's old club gets a chance to offer the player a one-year contract at different levels of pay which determine what level of draft-choice compensation the old club would receive for losing the player. And the old club has the right to match any offer another club makes to a restricted free agent.

Other rules changes would go into effect if there is no salary cap in 2010. There would be no minimum or maximum amounts teams could spend on payroll, and each club would get an extra "transition player" tag. A "transition player" must be offered a minimum of the average of the top 10 salaries of the prior season at the player's position or 120 percent of the player's previous year's salary, whichever is greater.

Copyright 2009 by The Associated Press
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4781911

Pioli better get to fucking work!!

RustShack
12-30-2009, 06:23 PM
Absolutely, unequivocally untrue.

Bullshit.

morphius
12-30-2009, 06:26 PM
I don't think there is any way they get the deal in place before the start of FA. I've been waiting to see what the players do since it was announced, how many will hold out, etc. This could be a very, very ugly offseason. Though I have to wonder if some of the top 4 teams might be willing to trade some of their RFA's for draft picks since they can't sign any UFA's.

DaneMcCloud
12-30-2009, 06:28 PM
Bullshit.

Really?

Well, why don't you tell us what the owners want.

Why don't you tell us what DeMaurice Smith wants.

And while you're at it, why don't you explain in detail to us how that'll all be settled in the next 60 days?

Oh, that's right: It won't.

I'll bet you ALL of your casino cash there's no new CBA in effect in 2010.

Deal?

RustShack
12-30-2009, 07:36 PM
I'll bet you ALL of your casino cash there's no new CBA in effect in 2010.

Deal?

Deal.

BossChief
12-30-2009, 10:16 PM
Dane, just curious, but how do you feel so confident about your stance and yet slam anyone with a differing opinion to it?

Im not trying to pick a fight, just trying to get more input into this.

The biggest sign that you are spot on, to me anyway, is Jerry Jones' fine.

Wilson8
12-30-2009, 11:12 PM
CBA negotiations going "poorly"

Posted by Mike Florio on December 27, 2009 8:25 PM ET

Here's a quick nugget to warm the cockles of the heart during the holidays.

Peter King of NBC reports, as relayed by Bob Costas of Football Night in America, that the contract negotiations between the NFL and the players union currently are going "poorly."

As a result, some players who previously were optimistic now believe there will be a lockout in 2011.

You may now return to enjoying your leftover turkey and egg nog.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/12/27/cba-negotiations-going-poorly/

Jerm
12-30-2009, 11:27 PM
How stupid are these people???

I think they're all arrogant enough to believe a lockout will have no effect on the NFL...whatever.

Took MLB several years to recover from their work stoppage and it damn near killed off the NHL.

I can't believe these morons would want to damage the cash cow and risk it...incredible.
Posted via Mobile Device

Wilson8
12-31-2009, 12:56 AM
If you want to see the current NFL CBA agreement, go to -

http://www.nflplayers.com/images/fck/NFL%20COLLECTIVE%20BARGAINING%20AGREEMENT%202006%20-%202012.pdf

It is a 361 page .pdf legal document, so probably only for the serious student of the NFL CBA.

Some of the better pages to look at…
Pages 59 – 67 Article XIX Free Agency
Page 68 – 78 Article XX Franchise and Transition Players
Page 79 Article XXI Final Eight Plan (Describes what happens to Final Eight teams for an uncapped year)
Page 237 Article LVI Final League Year

I think most of this info was in the previous posts, so not real important to go look at this.

Chiefaholic
12-31-2009, 01:04 AM
Greedy ass SOB's are ruining the game. It's getting to the point that stands will be filled with wine and cheese fans with ticket prices going up far faster than the cost of living. Who the f*** will watch the NFL if it becomes like baseball and teams just buy their way to the top. You'll have $200 million franchises playing against $30 million franchises. The owners are already making a shit ton of money. The players are making more money in a couple months than most of us make in a lifetime. How about giving some of that shit back to the fans by lowering ticket prices to a reasonable level?

BossChief
12-31-2009, 01:16 AM
How stupid are these people???

I think they're all arrogant enough to believe a lockout will have no effect on the NFL...whatever.

Took MLB several years to recover from their work stoppage and it damn near killed off the NHL.

I can't believe these morons would want to damage the cash cow and risk it...incredible.
Posted via Mobile Device
I never went back to baseball.

How about giving some of that shit back to the fans by lowering ticket prices to a reasonable level?

dude, I made a thread about a similar topic on another forum late last year and actually got a response from the Chiefs offering up half price tickets. I posted it here after I started a membership and almost nobody replied to it.

I received a couple pms as well from them in response.

Heres a link. http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=209909&highlight=tickets

I am going to try to get something figured out for this year as well and this is my home board now, so we'll see where it goes.

Probably nothing, but maybe something...ya dig:thumb:

jAZ
12-31-2009, 02:20 AM
The NFL <s>survived</s> thrived after two different strikes in 5 years during the 80s. They'll do the same with a lock-out in 2011.

DaneMcCloud
02-10-2010, 10:43 PM
Deal.

25 days and counting...

RustShack
02-10-2010, 11:08 PM
25 days and counting...

Thats if the start of free agency isn't delayed to get a deal done. Either way, you will shit the bed.

Titty Meat
02-10-2010, 11:21 PM
The NFL <s>survived</s> thrived after two different strikes in 5 years during the 80s. They'll do the same with a lock-out in 2011.

It's going to be tough trying to sell to people in this economy why a bunch of millionares are on strike because they don't make enough money.

Brock
02-10-2010, 11:26 PM
They're not going on strike. They're going to be locked out by billionaire owners who don't want to pay them.

Titty Meat
02-10-2010, 11:28 PM
They're not going on strike. They're going to be locked out by billionaire owners who don't want to pay them.

Reguardless they're all going to look like assholes. They're just lucky College Football doesn't have a playoff.

DaneMcCloud
02-11-2010, 12:19 AM
Thats if the start of free agency isn't delayed to get a deal done. Either way, you will shit the bed.

LMAO

Wilson8
02-11-2010, 12:47 PM
2010 Restricted free agent tags

Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on February 11, 2010 10:44 AM ET

Four years of experience

Original pick compensation: $1.176 million

Second round tender: $1.759 million

First round tender: $2.521 million

First and third tender: $3.168 million

Five years of NFL experience

Original pick compensation: $1.226 million

Second round tender: $1.809 million

First round tender: $2.621 million

First and third round tender: $3.268 million

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/02/11/2010-restricted-free-agent-tags/

OnTheWarpath15
02-11-2010, 12:49 PM
Everything in one place:

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=222791

Matter of fact, I think the above link should be stickied.

Mods?

ForeverChiefs58
02-11-2010, 01:46 PM
Giants' decision to cut Pierce shows lack of cap won't make teams overspend
Posted by Mike Florio on February 11, 2010 2:38 PM ET
Rosenthal posted earlier this afternoon the surprising news, from Mike Garafolo of the Newark Star-Ledger, that the Giants have cut linebacker Antonio Pierce.

And there likely was no one more surprised than Pierce.

"I don't see why I wouldn't be there," Pierce told Alex Marvez and Marty Schottenheimer of Sirius NFL Radio in December. "This was a season that got cut short by injury that shocked all of us -- management, coaches and players. With everything I gave New York the past five years, I feel I'll be here."

With the launch of free agency 22 days away, the decision of the Giants not to keep a key contributor to a Super Bowl-winning team at only $4.5 million for one season tends to prove our point from Wednesday that teams won't be spending like Steinbrenners in the uncapped year.

In past years, Pierce might have been cut to create salary cap space. This year, it simply doesn't matter; there's no cap at all.

Meanwhile, Pierce should be grateful to the team for letting him go now, since it gives him a full and fair crack at free agency in the uncapped year.

Then again, with the uncapped year not likely to be anything close to what we thought it would be, Pierce might ultimately be saying, "Thanks for nothing."

Micjones
02-11-2010, 03:23 PM
Concerning the changes the NFL is facing with the uncapped season...

Won't there also be players who'll hit the open market because teams won't fear an accelerated cap hit? I mean...without a cap teams should be less likely to be concerned about the cap implications, no?

SDChiefs
02-11-2010, 03:41 PM

Won't there also be players who'll hit the open market because teams won't fear an accelerated cap hit? I mean...without a cap teams should be less likely to be concerned about the cap implications, no?

Providing Al Davis hasn't completely lost his mind I wouldn't be surprised to see him cut JaMarcus then re-sign him to a much more affordable contract. Not like anyone is going to steal him from under their nose. No one wants him.

Halfcan
02-11-2010, 03:44 PM
Cheaps will build throught the draft.

DaneMcCloud
02-11-2010, 03:58 PM

Those will likely be guys going from their second contract to their third contract, 29, 30, 31 year old guys.

No one will cut a guy on his fourth year to fifth year deal and those are the guys that can help out a team like the Chiefs.

BossChief
02-11-2010, 04:03 PM
Those will likely be guys going from their second contract to their third contract, 29, 30, 31 year old guys.

No one will cut a guy on his fourth year to fifth year deal and those are the guys that can help out a team like the Chiefs.

There are already rumors going around that the Saints might cut Reggie Bush.

DaneMcCloud
02-11-2010, 04:55 PM
There are already rumors going around that the Saints might cut Reggie Bush.

I don't think that's going to happen

Titty Meat
02-11-2010, 07:09 PM
I'd looooove to trade for Marshall.

Wilson8
02-12-2010, 02:19 AM
Source: Jones works out for Bengals

Former Tennessee Titans and Dallas Cowboys cornerback Adam "Pacman" Jones worked out for the Cincinnati Bengals on Thursday, according to league sources.

The workout is thought to be Jones' first with an NFL team since the Cowboys released him in February 2009.

Bengals coach Marvin Lewis has been a champion in providing second chances to players.

Jones has avoided trouble since his last brush with the law in October 2008. He was involved in an alcohol-related incident with a bodyguard assigned to him by the Cowboys, and hotel employees called police. No arrests were made nor charges filed. But the NFL suspended Jones for four games because the incident was a violation of the league's personal conduct policy.

Jones began his time in Dallas under close league scrutiny after he was suspended for the entire 2007 season for multiple violations of the conduct policy while he was a member of the Titans. The Cowboys traded for Jones before his suspension was over and he was reinstated by NFL commissioner Roger Goodell on Aug. 28, 2008.

The Bengals also have expressed interest in former Jaguars wide receiver Matt Jones, who was suspended for the final three games of the 2008 season for violating the league's substance abuse policy. He was cut by the Jaguars in March 2009.

Adam Schefter is ESPN's NFL Insider.

-King-
02-12-2010, 02:55 AM
The Bengals are seriously one of the most retarded teams in the NFL. What the fuck is their obsession over troubled players? Seriously?

Wilson8
02-12-2010, 03:07 AM
Also Bengals and Titans have a 1 year low risk offer on the table Matt Jones.

In 2008 he had 65 catches and 761 yards.

If you have a good team with some strong team leadership, a team can bring in troubled players and make it work. I think the Bengals might do the opposite though and crash and burn.

Mecca
02-12-2010, 05:07 AM
The Bengals are seriously one of the most retarded teams in the NFL. What the fuck is their obsession over troubled players? Seriously?

They're looking for cheap production.

Wilson8
02-12-2010, 11:20 PM
Long story from footballoutsiders.com but it has some good information.

12 Feb 2010

Under the Cap: Front Office Decisions

by J.I. Halsell

With the Super Bowl now behind us, everyone in the NFL is 0-0 and it’s time for front office employees to earn their keep. As a former front office guy, this may be my favorite time of the year because this is when you truly build your roster. It’s during this time of the year that you get to implement all the research you did during the course of the year and put into action the plans you made as you go into the next season.

In the month of February, you have decisions to make on members of your current team. As we saw with the recent terminations of Antonio Pierce, Torry Holt, and Tra Thomas, it’s during this time of year that you decide to cut bait with veterans who you feel aren’t worth their upcoming salaries. In the case of Antonio Pierce, the Giants did not feel comfortable paying Pierce’s $4.75 million 2010 salary. By keeping him on the roster any longer, they run the risk of Pierce incurring a season-ending injury in offseason workouts, at which point you’re stuck paying a $4.75 million salary on a player who may or may not have figured significantly into your plans. Also, by releasing him at this point, you’re allowing him to find work at a time when teams are turning over their rosters, thereby helping him find his next opportunity. In the next few weeks, you’ll see LaDainian Tomlinson more than likely meet the same fate.

In addition to veterans with high salaries, front offices have to decide whether or not to pay players with significant roster bonuses that are set to be earned at the beginning of the 2010 league year (March 5). Some veterans with interesting roster bonuses due in the early part of the league year are:

Upcoming 2010 Roster Bonuses (in millions, on day of League Year)
Player..............Position..... Team......Bonus.....Date Earned
Lofa Tatupu.......... LB..........SEA........ $4.0....... Day 7
Kerry Rhodes........ S........... NYJ........ $2.0....... Day 7
Antrel Rolle.......... S........... ARI........ $4.0....... Day 1
Jeff Backus........... OL......... DET....... $1.0....... Day 2
Brian Waters........ OL......... KC......... $1.5....... Day 10
Kareem McKenzie...OL......... NYG....... $1.0....... Day 10
Thomas Jones....... RB......... NYJ........ $3.0....... Day 5
Lito Sheppard....... CB......... NYJ........ $10.0..... Day 5
Stacy Andrews...... OL......... PHI........ $5.0....... Day 30
Darren Howard...... DE......... PHI........ $1.0....... Day 15
Michael Vick..........QB......... PHI........ $1.5....... Day 5
Jamal Williams......DT......... SD......... $1.0....... Day 1

Of the above list, the name I find most intriguing is Jets running back Thomas Jones. A lot has been made of the impending departure of safety Kerry Rhodes, but given the playoff productivity of Shonn Greene, I would find it very hard to believe that the Jets will be willing to pay a $3 million roster bonus to Thomas Jones. Jones has been clamoring for a new deal, so I don't think that Jones would be willing to renegotiate his looming roster bonus and instead would rather be released so that he can try his luck in free agency .

Another interesting name on the above list is Cardinals safety Antrel Rolle. Rolle will be 27 years old at the beginning of the 2010 season, and because his free agency would result from the Cardinals terminating his contract instead of it expiring, Rolle would be one of the few unrestricted free agents younger than age 30. Rolle could find himself in a position to earn a lucrative contract that could make him one of the top ten highest paid safeties.

In the month of February, front offices also have to decide at what level to tender their restricted free agents, and as we’ve discussed in previous columns, the tendering of restricted free agents in 2010 takes on even more significance because of the quality of players that are restricted free agents as a result of the uncapped year. For those restricted free agents who are former first- or second-round picks, clubs, the team must keep in mind the rules of the “Upgraded Tender.”

The Upgraded Tender is when a player is tendered at a level higher than the round they were originally drafted. For example, Redskins defensive tackle Kedric Golston is a former sixth-round pick and is a restricted free agent. If the Redskins were to tender Golston at the second-round level, then Golston has received an Upgraded Tender. This Upgraded Tender then affects the tendering of Redskins linebacker Rocky McIntosh, a former second-round pick who is also a restricted free agent. Without the Upgraded Tender, the Redskins could tender McIntosh at the Original Round level and receive a second round pick if he were to depart via restricted free agency. However, because of the Upgraded Tender to Golston, the Redskins must tender McIntosh at a minimum of the Second Round level if they want to get a second round pick in return, otherwise, if the Redskins tender McIntosh at the Original Round level, then they would only receive a third-round pick in return. The same mechanics apply to former first-round picks. Under the same scenario, if they are not tendered at the first-round level or higher, then the team will receive a second round pick in return. That said, expect the vast majority of former first- and second-round draft picks to be tendered at a minimum level of their respective selection round.

In addition to restricted free agent tenders, clubs have until February 25 to decide on placing the franchise tag and/or transition tag on any looming unrestricted free agents. Remember that in the uncapped year clubs may designate a franchise player and a transition player.

So it’s officially front office season, in addition to the items discussed above you’ve got negotiations on extensions with players you’d like to keep long-term and on top of that you’ve got the Scouting Combine at the end of the month. It’s definitely a busy time for front offices, but if you’re fan of roster building, then there’s no better time of year than right now.

Follow J.I. Halsell on Twitter: @SalaryCap101
Posted by: J.I. Halsell on 12 Feb 2010

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/under-cap/2010/under-cap-front-office-decisions

Over-Head
02-13-2010, 07:52 AM
The issue is MUCH bigger than just this example.

The owners want a portion of the revenue back that's currently being shared with the players.

There is no way they have an agreement in place before the current CBA expires.

No way.

A lockout in 2011 is very much a possibility.
The league went through it back in the 80's, got through it.
"Scabs" (oh how I hate that word), will come n and laugh all the way to the bank at making a pittance of what these cry baby millionairs make and live the NFL dream for a few months. (or Vince McMahn (sp) will start up the XFL for another season.
We'll still have football, (hell just watch CFL if your that hung up) we'll still have the Raiders and Chiefs sucking it up, just that every team will suck.
UNTILL
The players start feeling the pinch of NOT collecting those multi hundred thousand dollar game cheques every week.

Over-Head
02-13-2010, 07:53 AM
The Bengals are seriously one of the most retarded teams in the NFL. What the **** is their obsession over troubled players? Seriously?
Their the "new Oakland"

DaneMcCloud
03-05-2010, 12:14 PM
Deal.

Pay up, Rusty.

:D

KCChiefsMan
03-05-2010, 01:10 PM
Chester Taylor signs with the Bears, must be because of Forte's awful fantasy season

Mile High Mania
03-05-2010, 01:16 PM
Peppers is a $40M Bear... according to Twitter updates.

** Looks like I had tweet confusion, that's the last rumor.

Mile High Mania
03-05-2010, 01:48 PM
Peppers is a $40M Bear... according to Twitter updates.

** Looks like I had tweet confusion, that's the last rumor.

The Bears (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/clubhouse?team=chi) and Julius Peppers (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=3530) are in the process of finalizing a six-year deal to bring the top free agent in 2010 to Chicago, according to a source.
After agreeing on the numbers on the deal, both sides are having the language of the contract reviewed by the league and the NFLPA. If the language is approved, the source said, Peppers will be a Bear.
Peppers was looking for at least $12 million a year in the early part of the contract. The agreement could be worth $40 million over the first three years.