PDA

View Full Version : Movies and TV Made It So.

orange
12-31-2009, 01:19 AM
Queen makes it so: Patrick Stewart knighted
Actor famous for playing ‘Star Trek’s’ Capt. Picard receives royal honor

updated 5:25 p.m. MT, Wed., Dec . 30, 2009
LONDON - There’s an especially starry knight in Britain’s latest round of royal honors.

Patrick Stewart — “Star Trek: The Next Generation’s” Capt. Jean-Luc Picard — becomes Sir Patrick in Queen Elizabeth II’s New Year honors list, which also includes a knighthood for theater and film director Nicholas Hytner.

“This is an honor that embraces those actors, directors and creative teams who have in these recent years helped fill my life with inspiration, companionship and sheer fun,” said 69-year-old Stewart, who recently returned to the British stage following a long career in Hollywood that included playing Professor Charles Xavier in three “X-Men” films.

Erich Reich, a refugee from Nazi-occupied Europe who organized last year’s 70th anniversary of the “Kindertransport,” which brought 10,000 children to wartime Britain, also received a knighthood.

A separate honors list in New Zealand bestowed a knighthood on the king of Middle Earth — “Lord of the Rings” filmmaker Peter Jackson.

Jackson, 53, was knighted in New Zealand, his native land and the filming location for the trilogy, which collected 17 Academy Awards. The New Zealand award is approved by the queen, the country’s head of state.

Jackson is currently is working on the two-movie prequel “The Hobbit,” also based on a book by J.R.R. Tolkien, with Mexican director Guillermo del Toro.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/34636106/ns/entertainment-celebrities/

orange
12-31-2009, 08:02 PM
For Donger:

http://www.posterclassics.com/imagesTheatreExpo/bigLidoPanache.jpg

KcMizzou
12-31-2009, 08:05 PM
Better than the Oscars, says Sir Peter Jackson

By Lincoln Tan
6:00 AM Thursday Dec 31, 2009

Peter Jackson has come a long way from his low-budget roots to being one of the most dominant film-makers in the world.

For his services to film - and many would argue his contribution to New Zealand goes much further than movies - Jackson has been awarded a knighthood in the New Year Honours.

The winner of more than a dozen Academy Awards is thrilled to be made a Knight Companion of the New Zealand Order of Merit.

"This is an incredible moment in my life. I didn't think anything would surpass the 2004 Academy Awards, but I was wrong," he said.

"The feeling of gratitude and pride I have in accepting this honour from my home country is profound."

Sir Peter was made a Companion of the New Zealand Order of Merit in 2002, and has "continued to excel in and significantly contribute to the New Zealand film industry", the citation for his knighthood reads.

The Lord of the Rings films raked in nearly $3 billion at the box office.

The Return of the King, the last of the trilogy, won 11 Academy Awards in 2004 - and shares the record for the most Oscars won by a single film.

Sir Peter is away until February, but was in New Zealand this month for the premiere of his latest movie, The Lovely Bones.

He remembers the early days: "When I was growing up in Pukerua Bay I spent weekends shooting war movies in my parents' vegetable garden with their Super-8 camera. I was 8 years old and had no real expectation of being a film director. My dream was to work on special effects.

"All those years ago, I never imagined where dreams could lead.

"One of the best things about growing up in New Zealand is that if you are prepared to work hard and have faith in yourself, truly anything is possible."

Since becoming a film-maker in 1976, Sir Peter's rise in the movie industry has been phenomenal.

He established the Weta Studios, production company Wingnut Films and in 2003 opened a film post-production facility, Park Road Post Production, in Wellington.

"Park Road Post Production has enabled Jackson and other film-makers to make films in New Zealand to an international standard," the citation said.

Sir Peter said: "I feel very lucky to be able to make movies in New Zealand and I will always be grateful for the support I have received from so many New Zealanders."

He sees the knighthood as "recognition of the collective achievement of our terrific crews and our film pioneers ... who trailblazed a path towards the creation of a modern Kiwi film industry".

Sir Peter financially supports local organisations such as the South Wellington Montessori School, Miramar North Primary School and the International Institute of Letters at Victoria University, and also backs the 48 Hour Film Festival and the Wellington Fringe Festival.

He is also the patron of the GiveLife New Zealand Organ Donation Awareness Charity.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10617918

big nasty kcnut
12-31-2009, 08:06 PM
Re to the post
Posted via Mobile Device

orange
12-31-2009, 08:07 PM
Re to the post
Posted via Mobile Device

So very wrong.

Make that IN-CO-RRECT!
(in honor of Chiefs-Broncos week)

Look at the timestamp.

DaFace
12-31-2009, 08:11 PM
Re to the post
Posted via Mobile Device

Actually, Donger's is the repost. It just got a lot more response.

big nasty kcnut
12-31-2009, 08:15 PM
Sorry i'm getting drunk now
Posted via Mobile Device

orange
12-31-2009, 08:15 PM
Actually, Donger's is the repost. It just got a lot more response.

When you post that late/early, ya takes yer chances...

... especially when you post without panache. ;)

Gonzo
12-31-2009, 08:16 PM
Sorry i'm getting drunk now
Posted via Mobile Device

What are you drinking tonight nut?
Posted via Mobile Device

big nasty kcnut
12-31-2009, 08:24 PM
Vodka and squirt like my late grandpa used to drink
Posted via Mobile Device

CrazyPhuD
12-31-2009, 09:19 PM