PDA

View Full Version : NFL Draft Clausen, The Most NFL Ready Jr QB EVER?

philfree
01-01-2010, 02:05 AM
Saw this when I was looking at the Walter mock draft page when i was looking the mock. Thought it was interesting.

Posted Dec. 29, 2009

Junior Quarterbacks - Jimmy Clausen

I bet you never thought in the past month that Notre Dame junior quarterback Jimmy Clausen is one of the most underappreciated quarterback prospects in the history of the NFL Draft. But after reading this blog entry, you just might change your mind.

First, I am going to tell you why you might not like Clausen, and let's be real here, there is a lot of bias against him. Some criticism is warranted, but a lot isn't.

Notre Dame is the most hated football program in America, period. They are the Duke of the gridiron. Automatically, you hate Clausen because he went to Notre Dame, just like you hated J.J. Reddick because he went to Duke. If you want to make an analysis as objective and professional as possible, then you need to cut the crap and get over the Notre Dame hate if you have it - and a lot of that is out there. Think about it: if you put Sanchez on Notre Dame and Jimmy Clausen at USC, then Sanchez is the hated prospect and Clausen is the beloved underclassman.

Maybe you don't like Clausen because of the blond, spiky hair, or the limo appearance he had when he was a senior in high school to declare for Notre Dame. These aren't "low profile" characteristics and automatically, you might have disliked him.

For whatever reasons you're down on Clausen, please put them in the back seat and have an open mind when reading this blog entry.

Clausen just amassed one of the most impressive junior seasons among pro-style quarterbacks in the past 10-20 years.

Let's remember that Clausen had a very bad offensive line this year for Notre Dame. Sure, he had good weapons, but the running game was poor and receivers Michael Floyd and Kyle Rudolph missed significant action (eight games missed total between them).

When Floyd went out, Clausen stepped up. With a bum turf toe, he didn't play at all in the second half and led the team to a game-winning drive to beat Purdue. The following week, he posted 422 passing yards against Washington. Over the next three games (USC, Boston College, Washinton State), Clausen threw for 774 yards, six touchdowns and zero interceptions.

Clausen is a huge reason for Golden Tate's big season as well. While Tate is a talented player, he couldn't have done it without Clausen's extremely high level of accuracy.

Numerous times, Clausen played through pain this season. He led his team in games in crunch time, and was without a doubt the most clutch quarterback in the nation this year.

Criticizing Clausen because he had talent around him is a very poor argument. It isn't like Clausen was putting up just above average statistics - he dominated opponents. He showed a very high football IQ and rarely forced the ball in coverage. Did he throw some balls up for grabs? Sure, but Peyton Manning does the same thing occasionally to Reggie Wayne. Drew Brees lofts the ball up for Marques Colston in the red zone. Philip Rivers relies on Vincent Jackson. Quarterbacks can't do it all by themselves.

One statistic that can't be discussed enough is Clausen's 7:1 touchdown-intercpetion ratio, which is absolutely unheard of among junior quarterbacks in pro-style offenses. This is just ridiculous. It doesn't happen and it isn't supposed to happen. Give the man some credit where credit is due.

The bottom line is Clausen certainly needs to be looked at as one of, if not the most polished junior quarterback prospect in the history of the NFL Draft. I didn't say the BEST junior quarterback prospects because he doesn't have the physical skill, but he is certainly one of the most NFL-ready.

Analyze the statistics of a select group of quarterbacks in the spreadsheet below; all of these stats were taken from each quarterback's junior season. Aside from Matthew Stafford (I'm including him because I had him No. 1 overall on my big board), these highly thought-of quarterbacks that have gone on to outstanding success in the NFL.

Clausen simply blows everyone out of the water. His touchdown-interception ratio puts Peyton Manning's 1996 season to shame. His completion percentage is a good five points ahead of Philip Rivers and Ben Roethlisberger. Clausen threw six less interceptions than EVERYONE.

Clausen's ranks across the board: 1st, 2nd, 1st, 1st, 1st, 1st.

I just don't understand how someone like Todd McShay can say Clausen is a second-round talent when you consider how his statistics compare to some of the NFL's current greats.

I'm not a fan of just analyzing statistics, and my evaluation of Clausen really doesn't have very much to do with them. All I am doing is putting his season into perspective.

The perspective proves that Clausen is worthy of much more respect than I feel like he is getting at the moment. We will probably never see a better junior season ever again. Charlie Weis leaving the college game means that there is one less West Coast offense in the NCAA.

Over the next 10 years, I fear that nearly all snaps are going to be taken out of shotgun and NFL front offices are going to be throwing darts and evaluating prospects based on physical tools only since the schemes are so easy to execute.

Clausen isn't executing an easy scheme - he is executing the toughest scheme on the national stage. Every week the camera is on him, and every week he delivered. If Notre Dame's defense was just above average, this team would have won 10 games.

If you don't like Clausen because he is cocky, then that is fine. I just hope you are consistent and also say Rivers is a bad NFL quarterback because he is cocky - because a slightly confident leader can't win games in the NFL, right?

Maybe if Philip Rivers went to Notre Dame...
----------------

Stats are here. http://walterfootball.com/mattblog091229.php

PhilFree:arrow:

Fish
01-01-2010, 02:16 AM
That was written by a 5th grader....

kcxiv
01-01-2010, 02:32 AM
That was written by a 5th grader....

The only thing that matters is if his points are valid.

Crush
01-01-2010, 05:33 AM
I like Clausen. We just need to find a way to get rid of Cassel. I still like the idea of putting him in abox and fedexing him to a remote part of Alaska.
Posted via Mobile Device

MahiMike
01-01-2010, 08:40 AM
I like Matt.

notorious
01-01-2010, 08:55 AM
I am the anit-CP on Clausen.

No opinion. Yet.

philfree
01-01-2010, 09:03 AM
The only thing that matters is if his points are valid.

Dude was held back several years in grade school. So much so that he's still a 5th grader.

Seriously speaking I have watched Clausen play very little and I didn't realize how good he is. Or how good Matt McGuire thinks he is anyways.

TheGuardian
01-01-2010, 09:37 AM
We aren't drafting a QB in round 1 people PLEASE stop wasting server space with this shit.

Bane
01-01-2010, 09:39 AM
We aren't drafting a QB in round 1 people PLEASE stop wasting server space with this shit.

:thumb:

philfree
01-01-2010, 09:45 AM

More a thread about him as oppossed to who the Chiefs could, would and should draft.

Bane
01-01-2010, 09:55 AM
More a thread about him as oppossed to who the Chiefs could, would and should draft.

He definitely has skills IMO,almost a shame we aren't in position to take a QB now or even next year.Its a shame when you have guys like Clausen,McCoy,Mallet,Bradford,Pike,Locker coming out the next 2 years and we wont take a chance on any of them because of Pisoli's fallen angel Cassel.Maybe we just go back to doing what we did in the 90's and wait till San Francisco releases Hill,or Smith.:banghead:

No I didn't name Tebow,sorry,I'll get murdered bad enough for saying McCoy,and Bradford.ROFL

Stanley Nickels
01-01-2010, 10:03 AM

Sure, but that doesn't mean news of his stock rising or falling doesn't affect us.
Right now, we're projected to go second or third. If St. Louis takes Suh, that puts us in a really beneficial position to trade down if somebody thinks Clausen is a can't-miss.

I would absolutely love to trade down in this draft: I think Berry is a game-changer, but just can't get over picking a (liberally using this term) Strong Safety at pick 3. The other option, Okung, would've been a bottom-of-the-first guy last year. So, somebody wants a franchise QB, one who's pro-ready.. if he's the best prospect in years, trading up is a huge possibility.

bevischief
01-01-2010, 10:09 AM

this

TheGuardian
01-01-2010, 10:10 AM
Sure, but that doesn't mean news of his stock rising or falling doesn't affect us.
Right now, we're projected to go second or third. If St. Louis takes Suh, that puts us in a really beneficial position to trade down if somebody thinks Clausen is a can't-miss.

I would absolutely love to trade down in this draft: I think Berry is a game-changer, but just can't get over picking a (liberally using this term) Strong Safety at pick 3. The other option, Okung, would've been a bottom-of-the-first guy last year. So, somebody wants a franchise QB, one who's pro-ready.. if he's the best prospect in years, trading up is a huge possibility.

It's true that posting about a guy rising or falling could effect this team however that's really not what these threads are about. It's really about the direction of the board with some people sounding the horn that we need to take a QB with our first pick. And I sure as fucking hell don't want to spend this whole offseason going into the draft arguing that point over and over and over again. So I'm really trying to get it out of the way early and I hope some people pay fucking attention.

WE ARE NOT DRAFTING A QUARTERBACK WITH OUR FIRST PICK. END OF STORY. PERIOD. DONE.

We just invested over 60 mil in Cassel. We aren't drafting a QB with the first pick, and may not draft one at all anyway. So threads about how some guy is NFL ready as a QB and shit like that is worthless here because it's not going to happen. We aren't taking a QB with our first round pick or second round pick or third round pick................

philfree
01-01-2010, 10:11 AM
Sure, but that doesn't mean news of his stock rising or falling doesn't affect us. Right now, we're projected to go second or third. If St. Louis takes Suh, that puts us in a really beneficial position to trade down if somebody thinks Clausen is a can't-miss.

His stock could push either Berry or Suh to us if the Rams decide they want him. I think there's a strong possibility of that happening. Tampa probably does take Suh so Berry is sitting there for the Chiefs.

philfree
01-01-2010, 10:17 AM
It's true that posting about a guy rising or falling could effect this team however that's really not what these threads are about. It's really about the direction of the board with some people sounding the horn that we need to take a QB with our first pick. And I sure as ****ing hell don't want to spend this whole offseason going into the draft arguing that point over and over and over again. So I'm really trying to get it out of the way early and I hope some people pay ****ing attention.

WE ARE NOT DRAFTING A QUARTERBACK WITH OUR FIRST PICK. END OF STORY. PERIOD. DONE.

We just invested over 60 mil in Cassel. We aren't drafting a QB with the first pick, and may not draft one at all anyway. So threads about how some guy is NFL ready as a QB and shit like that is worthless here because it's not going to happen. We aren't taking a QB with our first round pick or second round pick or third round pick................

I'm not saying to take a QB but if after year two of Cassels contract I don't think it will be so expensive. And there's no cap next year so it would be a golden opportunity to hedge our bet on Cassel.

Stanley Nickels
01-01-2010, 10:17 AM
And I completely agree with you.
If nipping that notion in the bud is your point, it's totally accurate. They're going to give Cassel three years, minimum. Fact is, he would've had to have a historically bad year this season for them to even contemplate taking a QB. Cassel made enough plays to warrant putting more playmakers around him (it remains to be seen whether they'll do that-- which is why I promote the idea of trading down if possible) and give him more time.
And, I'll be on the record as saying, I don't disagree with them. Pioli got someone he evaluated as a franchise quarterback.. It SUCKS that there are a number of high-caliber prospects coming out in the next couple years, but you've got to find ways to use that to your advantage. My argument is COMPLETELY INDEPENDENT of an argument as to whether or not Cassel has the talent to be our franchise QB. To stock up on another quarterback right now with the #3 pick would be to neglect drafting a playmaker through trading down or picking a position of need in that slot.

Stanley Nickels
01-01-2010, 10:20 AM
His stock could push either Berry or Suh to us if the Rams decide they want him. I think there's a strong possibility of that happening. Tampa probably does take Suh so Berry is sitting there for the Chiefs.

Here's a thought: if we draft second, there will be a player that MANY teams would consider trading up for-- assuming this piece on Clausen is accurate. I can honestly say that, before this season, I never thought I'd say a team would go so far as to trade up to pick a DT at #2, but this season has been unique and memorable for Suh.

Either way, you've got two "can't miss" prospects, and plenty of teams needing those positions (QB, DT)

BigRedChief
01-01-2010, 10:22 AM

THIS!

DeezNutz
01-01-2010, 10:26 AM
The idea of the Chiefs selecting Clausen is far fetched for sure, but not 100 percent out of the question.

If Pioli is clear sighted, he knows we have a need at QB. Cassel has shown that he's far from a lock to be the answer.

If, and a huge if here, Pioli believes that Clausen will be a GREAT player, not just a good one but a perennial Pro-Bowl type, he would have to think very hard before passing on him.

If you don't have a franchise QB, you must always be looking to get one.

TheGuardian
01-01-2010, 10:27 AM
I'm not saying to take a QB but if after year two of Cassels contract I don't think it will be so expensive. And there's no cap next year so it would be a golden opportunity to hedge our bet on Cassel.

we're not taking a fucking QB with our first pick in this draft. End of story. It's not even a discussion.

TheGuardian
01-01-2010, 10:28 AM
The idea of the Chiefs selecting Clausen is far fetched for sure, but not 100 percent out of the question.

If Pioli is clear sighted, he knows we have a need at QB. Cassel has shown that he's far from a lock to be the answer.

If, and a huge if here, Pioli believes that Clausen will be a GREAT player, not just a good one but a perennial Pro-Bowl type, he would have to think very hard before passing on him.

You mean like Sanchez?

This is why this talk is so fucking stupid. We're not taking a QB in the first round. Get it through your head. Holy shit some of you are thick.

Bane
01-01-2010, 10:32 AM

The Chiefs drafting Causen = Pisoli rochambeau to Cassel.
ROFL

DeezNutz
01-01-2010, 10:42 AM
You mean like Sanchez?

This is why this talk is so ****ing stupid. We're not taking a QB in the first round. Get it through your head. Holy shit some of you are thick.

I mean like any QB whom Pioli believes can be a franchise player.

Why are you trying to bang this drum so loudly? It's pointless. We have a terrible QB, so of course people are going to speculate about whether or not a kid who grades out well is worth a high-round selection.

You're pissing into the wind.

SenselessChiefsFan
01-01-2010, 10:51 AM
And thus it starts again. Building up so-so qb's into franchise qb prospects. It is a yearly occurance, especially when the qb class is weak. Last year it was Sanchez. There is a season for everything. This is the season for making legendary franchise qb's out of decent prospects.

philfree
01-01-2010, 10:53 AM
we're not taking a ****ing QB with our first pick in this draft. End of story. It's not even a discussion.

LOL Looks kinda like it's being discussed a little. You're probably right though but hey......

Coogs
01-01-2010, 10:54 AM

PhilFree,

Not that it is a big issue, but Detroit has the 2nd pick. Tampa and Detroit have pretty much the same needs from what I have seen.

There has also been a lot of discussion I have read other places than here that seem to indicate that the Rams should go with Suh. You would wonder at that point if Detroit would go with Berry or not. If those two are off the baord when we pick it could get interesting.

I also think if we bring in Charlie Weis as the OC, which I have also read is possible (no link), the possibility we go with Clausen if he is available increases big time.

Even though there are big needs all over on this team, I do think QB could be the play with our #3 pick.

philfree
01-01-2010, 11:05 AM
PhilFree,

Not that it is a big issue, but Detroit has the 2nd pick. Tampa and Detroit have pretty much the same needs from what I have seen.

There has also been a lot of discussion I have read other places than here that seem to indicate that the Rams should go with Suh. You would wonder at that point if Detroit would go with Berry or not. If those two are off the baord when we pick it could get interesting.

I also think if we bring in Charlie Weis as the OC, which I have also read is possible (no link), the possibility we go with Clausen if he is available increases big time.

Even though there are big needs all over on this team, I do think QB could be the play with our #3 pick.

Opps! My bad.. I don't know if Clausen is that good or not. If he is that kind of a prospect then he's in the equation I would think. He might cuase a trade if he still on the board at #3 as rare as that would be.

Coogs
01-01-2010, 11:14 AM
Opps! My bad.. I don't know if Clausen is that good or not. If he is that kind of a prospect then he's in the equation I would think. He might cuase a trade if he still on the board at #3 as rare as that would be.

Could be. There was some discussion by Charlie Casserly last week on the CBS pre-game show that it isn't set in stone that Locker is going to go back to college either. Top five picks could garner some attention in a tradedown scenario if this happens, but I still hope we would consider taking one of the two ourselves.

Fish
01-01-2010, 11:15 AM
My friends brother knows a guy who works as a janitor at Arrowhead, and he said that Clausen was #1 on their draft board.......

TheGuardian
01-01-2010, 11:59 AM
I mean like any QB whom Pioli believes can be a franchise player.

Why are you trying to bang this drum so loudly? It's pointless. We have a terrible QB, so of course people are going to speculate about whether or not a kid who grades out well is worth a high-round selection.

You're pissing into the wind.

Actually the dumbasses that keep going on like we might even thinking about taking a QB in the first round are pissing into the wind.

And I'm no Cassel fan, but to say he's terrible based on this season is fucking retarded. He played well last year in new england. He had a revolving door of a line for most of the season here and WR's who are going to set an NFL record for drops in a season. What QB is going to look good behind that? Yeah, fucking no one. Get a clue.

Coogs
01-01-2010, 12:02 PM
Actually the dumbasses that keep going on like we might even thinking about taking a QB in the first round are pissing into the wind.

And I'm no Cassel fan, but to say he's terrible based on this season is fucking retarded. He played well last year in new england. He had a revolving door of a line for most of the season here and WR's who are going to set an NFL record for drops in a season. What QB is going to look good behind that? Yeah, fucking no one. Get a clue.

Happy New Year to you too Guardian! :toast: :)

TheGuardian
01-01-2010, 12:05 PM
Happy New Year to you too Guardian! :toast: :)

You too man. :D

Coogs
01-01-2010, 12:05 PM
You too man. :D

:thumb:

RustShack
01-01-2010, 12:11 PM
I could see them taking Clauson and letting him sit a year behind Cassel. Cassel's contract is front heavy so it wouldn't be to hard for us to dump him after a year or two. Hell if he plays well this year teams would trade for him. If he doesn't.. we still aren't out much. You don't pass on a potential great QB because you have an decent weak armed game manager.

HotRoute
01-01-2010, 12:12 PM
Clausen was a huge high school recruit and has good bloodlines. He is going to make it in the NFL but not for the chiefs

DeezNutz
01-01-2010, 12:12 PM

And I'm no Cassel fan, but to say he's terrible based on this season is ****ing retarded. He played well last year in new england. He had a revolving door of a line for most of the season here and WR's who are going to set an NFL record for drops in a season. What QB is going to look good behind that? Yeah, ****ing no one. Get a clue.

LMAO.

Mr. Laz
01-01-2010, 12:14 PM
If st. Louis doesn't take Clausen and we can't trade down then we have to consider taking him no matter how angry that makes some people.

Cassel
Croyle
Clausen

We can actually do what's best for Clausen and let him sit on the bench for a year or two until he's really ready to go.

OnTheWarpath15
01-01-2010, 12:14 PM
LMAO.

What the fuck is so funny?

Cassel was good in NE, so all we need to do is surround him with the "dynasty of the Decade" and he'll be fine.

Patience, you short sighted son-of-a-bitch.

Mr. Laz
01-01-2010, 12:17 PM
What the fuck is so funny?

Cassel was good in NE, so all we need to do is surround him with the "dynasty of the Decade" and he'll be fine.

hey ... don't get personal with Mr. Nutz.

DeezNutz
01-01-2010, 12:18 PM
What the **** is so funny?

Did you receive permission from TheGuardian to post this?

OnTheWarpath15
01-01-2010, 12:18 PM
Did you receive permission from TheGuardian to post this?

ROFL

Chiefshrink
01-01-2010, 12:19 PM
Hmmmmmmm Wies said Quinn was NFL ready and lo and behold. And now Clausen is NFL ready???????????????????????????? Although Wies is not quoted in this article as saying Clausen is NFL ready I bet he thinks he is and I say blah,blah,blah....... Alot of these experts and scouts end up being sooooooooooooooo wrong.

DeezNutz
01-01-2010, 12:19 PM
hey ... don't get personal with Mr. Nutz.

Please don't speak to members of "the group." :D

TheGuardian
01-01-2010, 12:20 PM
Like I said, some of you morons are the same ones that declared Dorsey a bust after his rookie season.

Nuff said.

DeezNutz
01-01-2010, 12:21 PM
Like I said, some of you morons are the same ones that declared Dorsey a bust after his rookie season.

Nuff said.

Who? Link?

TheGuardian
01-01-2010, 12:23 PM
Who? Link?

I'm not wasting my time. This board was littered with "Dorsey is a bust" "Trade Dorsey now while he still has value" bullshit this whole offseason. Or "Dorsey is wasted in the new scheme" shit.

Point is, fans are too impatient and have knee jerk reactions on a weekly basis.

If we had Larry Fitzgerald this is how it might go down.....

"That guy dropped a game winning touchdown! CUT HIS ASS!"

"But that's Larry Fitzgerald."

"Yeah what good is he catching all of those passes if he drops the one for a sure win?"

I've read plenty of these kinds of conversations here.

I'm going to repeat it....................

WE AREN'T DRAFTING A QB IN THE FIRST ROUND. END OF STORY.

Brock
01-01-2010, 12:30 PM
There are a few dumbasses who think we should cut Bowe, so yeah, I kind of agree with you on the knee jerk reactions. However, I haven't seen Cassel do anything, anything at all, that justifies passing on drafting a franchise QB, if that's what Clausen is. And I'm not convinced he is.

OnTheWarpath15
01-01-2010, 01:06 PM
Who? Link?

He can't come up with one, because not a single person he's referring to has said such a thing.

Not me, not you, not Mecca, Dane, Hamas, Pest, Milkman - none of us.

TheGuardian
01-01-2010, 01:15 PM
He can't come up with one, because not a single person he's referring to has said such a thing.

Not me, not you, not Mecca, Dane, Hamas, Pest, Milkman - none of us.

Mecca said Dorsey was not "built" for this scheme. Hamas said Dorsey was being wasted in it. Plenty of people called Dorsey a bust. If you're not one of them, fine. STFU about it.

I'm not going back and looking it up I think they will both freely admit to these comments.

OnTheWarpath15
01-01-2010, 02:02 PM
Mecca said Dorsey was not "built" for this scheme. Hamas said Dorsey was being wasted in it. Plenty of people called Dorsey a bust. If you're not one of them, fine. STFU about it.

I'm not going back and looking it up I think they will both freely admit to these comments.

Neither of those comments have anything to do with him being a bust. If anything, it's the opposite. They see the talent the kid has, and are frustrated that he's not playing in a system that would make the most of his talents.

He is being wasted in this scheme, even though he's proven to be serviceable in it.

Chiefless
01-01-2010, 02:07 PM
PhilFree,

Interesting wrinkle.

Red Brooklyn
01-01-2010, 02:25 PM
we're not taking a ****ing QB with our first pick in this draft. End of story. It's not even a discussion.

Wait... see now, I heard we were drafting a QB with our first pick... no?

Crush
01-01-2010, 03:03 PM
ROFL I like where this thread is going.

TheGuardian
01-01-2010, 03:15 PM
Neither of those comments have anything to do with him being a bust. If anything, it's the opposite. They see the talent the kid has, and are frustrated that he's not playing in a system that would make the most of his talents.

He is being wasted in this scheme, even though he's proven to be serviceable in it.

This is why you are a dumbass.

One the reasons Dorsey has had such a turn around is because this scheme IS what he does best. He played in a similar gap responsibility system at LSU, even though it was a 40 front instead of a 3-4. He is NOT a Warren Sapp type, get up the field penetrator.

Maybe you should learn something about football instead of just repeating shit you have read here from other dumbasses, and then continue the vile spread of dumbassery. Either way, you are a fucking idiot. Proven over and over again.

Pioli Zombie
01-01-2010, 03:52 PM
Dick Clark wrote that.
Posted via Mobile Device

DaWolf
01-01-2010, 04:21 PM
If the dude couldn't pull his college team up above mediocrity, then what leads anyone to believe he'd make a difference here?

HolmeZz
01-01-2010, 04:49 PM
If the dude couldn't pull his college team up above mediocrity, then what leads anyone to believe he'd make a difference here?

Because it wasn't his job to play defense, Einstein.

Mecca
01-01-2010, 04:54 PM
Lets blame a QB for wins and losses, John Elway had a losing record in college what a scrub he was.

HolmeZz
01-01-2010, 05:14 PM
I've opposed the idea of taking a quarterback and I'd still prefer a Berry or Suh with our pick, but I'm warming up more to Clausen than I thought I would. He's much more impressive when you watch tape because he makes the right reads and he knows where all his receivers are when a play breaks down. He also has the experience of having dealt with a terrible offensive line(freshman year) so he has the benefit of having taken a beating and knowing he can't be comfortable relying on his blockers all the time. He's also very accurate and can throw on the run. If I had to pinpoint a flaw, he won't have the strongest arm of any QB coming out. He can zip the ball on short/intermediate routes, but he doesn't have the same kind of strength behind his deep balls. He'll underthrow them on occasion. I do like how comfortable he is throwing jump balls and letting his receivers go and make plays. Allowing your receivers to use their abilities is just as important to being a successful quarterback as anything.

Mecca
01-01-2010, 05:15 PM
I bet sensible will start calling Clausen a rapist before long.

Brock
01-01-2010, 05:15 PM

Yeah, ND's offense was a real problem. ROFL

OctoberFart
01-01-2010, 05:18 PM
Saw this win I was looking at the Walter mock draft page when i was looking the mock. Thought it was interesting.

Posted Dec. 29, 2009

Junior Quarterbacks - Jimmy Clausen

I bet you never thought in the past month that Notre Dame junior quarterback Jimmy Clausen is one of the most underappreciated quarterback prospects in the history of the NFL Draft. But after reading this blog entry, you just might change your mind.

First, I am going to tell you why you might not like Clausen, and let's be real here, there is a lot of bias against him. Some criticism is warranted, but a lot isn't.

Notre Dame is the most hated football program in America, period. They are the Duke of the gridiron. Automatically, you hate Clausen because he went to Notre Dame, just like you hated J.J. Reddick because he went to Duke. If you want to make an analysis as objective and professional as possible, then you need to cut the crap and get over the Notre Dame hate if you have it - and a lot of that is out there. Think about it: if you put Sanchez on Notre Dame and Jimmy Clausen at USC, then Sanchez is the hated prospect and Clausen is the beloved underclassman.

Maybe you don't like Clausen because of the blond, spiky hair, or the limo appearance he had when he was a senior in high school to declare for Notre Dame. These aren't "low profile" characteristics and automatically, you might have disliked him.

For whatever reasons you're down on Clausen, please put them in the back seat and have an open mind when reading this blog entry.

Clausen just amassed one of the most impressive junior seasons among pro-style quarterbacks in the past 10-20 years.

Let's remember that Clausen had a very bad offensive line this year for Notre Dame. Sure, he had good weapons, but the running game was poor and receivers Michael Floyd and Kyle Rudolph missed significant action (eight games missed total between them).

When Floyd went out, Clausen stepped up. With a bum turf toe, he didn't play at all in the second half and led the team to a game-winning drive to beat Purdue. The following week, he posted 422 passing yards against Washington. Over the next three games (USC, Boston College, Washinton State), Clausen threw for 774 yards, six touchdowns and zero interceptions.

Clausen is a huge reason for Golden Tate's big season as well. While Tate is a talented player, he couldn't have done it without Clausen's extremely high level of accuracy.

Numerous times, Clausen played through pain this season. He led his team in games in crunch time, and was without a doubt the most clutch quarterback in the nation this year.

Criticizing Clausen because he had talent around him is a very poor argument. It isn't like Clausen was putting up just above average statistics - he dominated opponents. He showed a very high football IQ and rarely forced the ball in coverage. Did he throw some balls up for grabs? Sure, but Peyton Manning does the same thing occasionally to Reggie Wayne. Drew Brees lofts the ball up for Marques Colston in the red zone. Philip Rivers relies on Vincent Jackson. Quarterbacks can't do it all by themselves.

One statistic that can't be discussed enough is Clausen's 7:1 touchdown-intercpetion ratio, which is absolutely unheard of among junior quarterbacks in pro-style offenses. This is just ridiculous. It doesn't happen and it isn't supposed to happen. Give the man some credit where credit is due.

The bottom line is Clausen certainly needs to be looked at as one of, if not the most polished junior quarterback prospect in the history of the NFL Draft. I didn't say the BEST junior quarterback prospects because he doesn't have the physical skill, but he is certainly one of the most NFL-ready.

Analyze the statistics of a select group of quarterbacks in the spreadsheet below; all of these stats were taken from each quarterback's junior season. Aside from Matthew Stafford (I'm including him because I had him No. 1 overall on my big board), these highly thought-of quarterbacks that have gone on to outstanding success in the NFL.

Clausen simply blows everyone out of the water. His touchdown-interception ratio puts Peyton Manning's 1996 season to shame. His completion percentage is a good five points ahead of Philip Rivers and Ben Roethlisberger. Clausen threw six less interceptions than EVERYONE.

Clausen's ranks across the board: 1st, 2nd, 1st, 1st, 1st, 1st.

I just don't understand how someone like Todd McShay can say Clausen is a second-round talent when you consider how his statistics compare to some of the NFL's current greats.

I'm not a fan of just analyzing statistics, and my evaluation of Clausen really doesn't have very much to do with them. All I am doing is putting his season into perspective.

The perspective proves that Clausen is worthy of much more respect than I feel like he is getting at the moment. We will probably never see a better junior season ever again. Charlie Weis leaving the college game means that there is one less West Coast offense in the NCAA.

Over the next 10 years, I fear that nearly all snaps are going to be taken out of shotgun and NFL front offices are going to be throwing darts and evaluating prospects based on physical tools only since the schemes are so easy to execute.

Clausen isn't executing an easy scheme - he is executing the toughest scheme on the national stage. Every week the camera is on him, and every week he delivered. If Notre Dame's defense was just above average, this team would have won 10 games.

If you don't like Clausen because he is cocky, then that is fine. I just hope you are consistent and also say Rivers is a bad NFL quarterback because he is cocky - because a slightly confident leader can't win games in the NFL, right?

Maybe if Philip Rivers went to Notre Dame...
----------------

Stats are here. http://walterfootball.com/mattblog091229.php

WHatever. Too bad you guys signed Matt million dollar Cassell because I wish you guys would waste a pick on this guy.

Touchdown Bowe
01-01-2010, 05:39 PM
If Weis takes the job..picking Clausen wouldnt surprise me at all

Skip Towne
01-01-2010, 08:22 PM
Lets blame a QB for wins and losses, John Elway had a losing record in college what a scrub he was.

But he was there for the "Stanford Band" play.

DaWolf
01-01-2010, 09:25 PM
Because it wasn't his job to play defense, Einstein.

Hey, I understand that argument, I've used it to defend QB's like Trent Green, but lack of defense has never stopped this board from ripping a QB apart. If I recall, few games ago we scored 30+ points despite 10 drops and played horrendous defense, and there were immediately threads on the crappy QB. And there have been many an argument made on this board that it is a "Franchise" QB's job to will his team to wins, despite the lack of talent around him. So I ask again, based on that criteria, what's Clausen going to change?

I can't recall the last "franchise" QB Notre Dame produced since Joe Montana. Rick Mirer fizzled. Brady Quinn has been horrible thus far. And both those guys were hyped going into the draft...

Mecca
01-01-2010, 09:26 PM
If you didn't notice this season, Clausen led his team to wins in the final seconds several times and put them in position to win in several others.

And you really shouldn't use a school to knock a player, Joe Flacco is from Delaware for Christ sake.