PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Compare Jamaal Charles to Chris Johnson....

Chiefshrink
01-03-2010, 07:20 PM
I say they have equal speed, Charles with a tad more height and weight but not by much, they have the same running style but Johnson has a better O-line at this point and doesn't have a fumbling problem.

But I say we have found our "Chris Johnson" and if Charles can gain 1000 yds with this O-line what would he have gained with the Titans quality? He would be our first 2000 yd back in Chiefs history. What say you???:shrug:

LaChapelle
01-03-2010, 07:21 PM
Johnson plays better bongos
than Jamaal can dance
sorry

Mm Lindor Truffles
they're the same

Rain Man
Chris Johnson writes to Jamal Charles every day hoping for an autographed photo. That's how they compare.

(I don't think I've seen a Titans game in two years, so that's all I've got.)

doomy3
Charles is a stud, but CJ is definitely faster. He doesn't get caught from behind like Charles did early in the game on the long run.

Huffman83
01-03-2010, 07:23 PM
I'm just looking at my fantasy football stats and looking at Charles stats at the end of the season and wondering...WHY THE FUCK DIDN'T KC GET RID OF LJ EARLIER!?!?!?

rockymtnchief
01-03-2010, 07:24 PM
I remember this talk when a certain douche ran for 1700+ yards in a certain season. Don't jinx the new workhorse.

BTW....The o-line has looked somewhat better than in the beginning. So there's a good chance he could. But, you still need a passing game to keep the safeties honest.

Mecca
01-03-2010, 07:24 PM
Johnson is faster, probably a slightly better receiver and so far has been more durable but who knows how that'll play out after this year.

Charles is a very good back but this team will need to get another back who is atleast ok so they don't kill him LJ style.

FD
01-03-2010, 07:25 PM
He is NOT as fast as Johnson.

steve_minor
01-03-2010, 07:25 PM
Chris Johnson just joined a group six RB in history!!!! I don't think after gaining 1,000 yds in a partial season we can even compare Charles to him. The second 1,000 are a lot harder. I am very excited about him though...

Micjones
01-03-2010, 07:27 PM
I think Johnson's a shade faster...
I'm PERFECTLY happy with Charles though.

TheGuardian
Johnson is faster, probably a slightly better receiver and so far has been more durable but who knows how that'll play out after this year.

Johnson is not faster and is not a better receiver. In a foot race they'd be neck in neck. Charles might actually be faster top end, but I think that Johnson's start is a little faster. But over the course of 50-100 yards Charles is probably faster. SO really, it's splitting hairs.

Can't speak for the durability issue but Charles just had 8 games to start, so we'll see on that one.

Either way, they look like the exact same player. If someone switched them out in uniforms no one would notice.

Micjones

Charles is a very good back but this team will need to get another back who is atleast ok so they don't kill him LJ style.

A Lendale White type back...

Mecca
01-03-2010, 07:29 PM
A Lendale White type back...

It doesn't even have to be a big guy, just someone else who can be effective when he takes carries.

Micjones
01-03-2010, 07:30 PM
Johnson is not faster.

IIRC, Johnson ran a 4.24 at the combine and Charles ran a 4.34.

Micjones
01-03-2010, 07:31 PM
It doesn't even have to be a big guy, just someone else who can be effective when he takes carries.

I think we do need more a bruiser for short-yardage situations and runs between the Tackles.

Chiefshrink
01-03-2010, 07:31 PM
Charles is a stud, but CJ is definitely faster. He doesn't get caught from behind like Charles did early in the game on the long run.

Yes I was surprised to see him get caught from behind but after looking at that run several times I think he overly winded himself by not making his cuts in the most efficient way (running around too much never hitting 5th gear) IMO.

TheGuardian
01-03-2010, 07:32 PM
IIRC, Johnson ran a 4.24 at the combine and Charles ran a 4.34.

I said I think that Johnson gets to his top speed faster than Charles, but I believe that charles is faster top end wise. It's like comparing two cars at the drag strip. One might be faster in the 1/8 of a mile but the other one is slightly faster in the 1/4. I think that Charles would be faster over the length of the whole field. But again, it's splitting hairs because both guys are super fast.

Coogs
I agree with Laz on this one. Charles reminds me more of Marcus Allen in his running style.

Mecca
I think we do need more a bruiser for short-yardage situations and runs between the Tackles.

I disagree with that though, Priest Holmes was a great short yardage back, he wasn't big or a bruiser.

doomy3
Yes I was surprised to see him get caught from behind but after looking at that run several times I think he overly winded himself by not making his cuts in the most efficient way (running around too much never hitting 5th gear) IMO.

I've watched CJ play a lot this year, and he NEVER gets caught from behind. Hell, even when the defender has the angle, he still outruns him. He is so much faster in pads than everyone else, it is scary.

keg in kc
01-03-2010, 07:33 PM
Johnson is clearly faster, but we're talking about fractions of a second here. Even being slower than Johnson, Charles is still one of the fastest backs in the league.

The thing that's impressed me a lot about Charles is how elusive he is, not just in making moves, but in staying on his feet after first contact. He gets a shit load of yards on his own. And he's learning when to go down, which will hopefully help keep him on the field.

RedThat
01-03-2010, 07:34 PM

You dont need a big back for short yardage. Marcus Allen proved that to the rest of the world.

tyler360
01-03-2010, 07:34 PM
Wasnt CJ's time the fastest recorded at the combine?

Mecca
01-03-2010, 07:35 PM
I'm pretty sure Deion Sanders has the fastest combine 40 timed.

RedThat
01-03-2010, 07:37 PM
Johnson is clearly faster, but we're talking about fractions of a second here. Even being slower than Johnson, Charles is still one of the fastest backs in the league.

The thing that's impressed me a lot about Charles is how elusive he is, not just in making moves, but in staying on his feet after first contact. He gets a shit load of yards on his own. And he's learning when to go down, which will hopefully help keep him on the field.

Count me in on that as well. I think thats a display of toughness as well, and running with great will.

suds79
Wasnt CJ's time the fastest recorded at the combine?

Yes I'm 90% sure it was.

I think Deons was when they were using stop watches. So he was probably faster but I don't think they have anything to say for certain.

Chiefshrink
Chris Johnson just joined a group six RB in history!!!! I don't think after gaining 1,000 yds in a partial season we can even compare Charles to him. The second 1,000 are a lot harder. I am very excited about him though...

Ohhhhhhhhhh I think we can especially with the type of O-line play we have had this season. Yes, they have steadily gotten somewhat better here in the last half of the season but they are no where close to the Titans O-line run play.

But like you, I am excited and now if he can eliminate that fumbling issue like Tiki Barber did a few yrs back then I will be satisfied. But in all honesty I was waiting for Charles to cough it up at some critical point today and it didn't happen. I'm sure many on this board were thinking the same if they were honest including "Haley".

OnTheWarpath15
01-03-2010, 07:38 PM
I'm pretty sure Deion Sanders has the fastest combine 40 timed.

4.19, wasn't it?

BossChief
01-03-2010, 07:41 PM

I think we need to be able to diversify our running attack better with a dose of the power game as a change of pace.

Of course, to do this we would need to upgrade our interior line significantly as well.

BossChief
01-03-2010, 07:42 PM
4.19, wasn't it?

4.19 was galloway

Bo Jackson was the fastest ever iirc

Chiefshrink
01-03-2010, 07:43 PM
You dont need a big back for short yardage. Marcus Allen proved that to the rest of the world.

Wasn't Allen 6'1 or 6'2 at 210 that ain't chumpchange size:shake:

Chiefshrink
01-03-2010, 07:47 PM
I agree with Laz on this one. Charles reminds me more of Marcus Allen in his running style.

Straight up definitely but with speed like that it doesn't matter ala Eric Dickerson.

Rain Man
01-03-2010, 07:49 PM
I know the standard wisdom is to team a big bruiser back with an elusive type of back, but I've begun to question that a little. Maybe you'd want a big bruiser to take the 5 or 6 short-yardage plays per game, but I'm not sure it's optimal to have two different types of guys splitting carries. They use very different types of offensive lines. I think an offensive line that maximizes its value for Charles won't be the optimal line for a big guy, and vice versa.

I'd lean toward getting the best RB out there regardless of style to be his complement. (And I'm not talking first-round by any means. By "best RB out there", I mean the best value after we emphasize other greater needs.)

Chiefshrink
01-03-2010, 07:53 PM
I disagree with that though, Priest Holmes was a great short yardage back, he wasn't big or a bruiser.

He was one of the "smartest RB's" who played behind one of the best if not "thee best" O-lines ever in the NFL who was allowed to run between the tackles with that kind of O-line talent.

Not trying to take anything away from Priest because I love the guy but he was smart enough to figure out how to fully maximize his strengths with that blessed O-line talent at the time.

Rain Man
01-03-2010, 07:56 PM
And on the other point, regardless of clock time, Deion Sanders is the fastest guy on a football field that I've seen in my lifetime. Love him or hate him, he played at a different speed.

TheGuardian
01-03-2010, 07:58 PM
4.19, wasn't it?

No one ever ran a 4.19 at the combine or anywhere for that matter, with electronic timing.

the Talking Can
01-03-2010, 08:00 PM
charles is amazing at using his blocks and setting up defenders for moves when they're still a few yards away.....his learning curve in only 8 games is unreal

there was a run up the middle for 10-15 yards, and charles made 2-3 jukes with each one throwing the defender ahead of him off balance...it looked like a slalom skier kind of....the game is moving very slow for a player when they can do that kind of thing....

Chiefshrink
01-03-2010, 08:02 PM
I know the standard wisdom is to team a big bruiser back with an elusive type of back, but I've begun to question that a little. Maybe you'd want a big bruiser to take the 5 or 6 short-yardage plays per game, but I'm not sure it's optimal to have two different types of guys splitting carries. They use very different types of offensive lines. I think an offensive line that maximizes its value for Charles won't be the optimal line for a big guy, and vice versa.

I'd lean toward getting the best RB out there regardless of style to be his complement. (And I'm not talking first-round by any means. By "best RB out there", I mean the best value after we emphasize other greater needs.)

Agreed. We need a pass rush and better run D. When Orton can throw for over 400yds with 3ints and your offense has put up over 30pts by the 3rd qtr and you are still sweating as fan because you have just witnessed a crippled Bronco Offense(no Marshall,Royal or Sheffler) lite it up immediately before Johnson's 2nd Int that is not good.

Marcellus
01-03-2010, 08:04 PM
He was one of the "smartest RB's" who played behind one of the best if not "thee best" O-lines ever in the NFL who was allowed to run between the tackles with that kind of O-line talent.

Not trying to take anything away from Priest because I love the guy but he was smart enough to figure out how to fully maximize his strengths with that blessed O-line talent at the time.

Priest was a patient runner who set up his blocks by waiting for them to develop. Smart MoFo.

OnTheWarpath15
01-03-2010, 08:05 PM
No one ever ran a 4.19 at the combine or anywhere for that matter, with electronic timing.

Who said anything about electronic timing?

Chiefshrink
01-03-2010, 08:06 PM
Priest was a patient runner who set up his blocks by waiting for them to develop. Smart MoFo.

You made my point even better!!:thumb:

TheGuardian
01-03-2010, 08:06 PM
Who said anything about electronic timing?

No one has ever run a 4.19. Not at the combine, not anywhere legit. All sorts of claims are made but no one has ever run that.

And in case you didn't know, hand held times don't mean shit. That's why I said electronic timing. This is why you consistently don't know anything about football or the shit that surrounds it.

TigerPig
01-03-2010, 08:07 PM
And on the other point, regardless of clock time, Deion Sanders is the fastest guy on a football field that I've seen in my lifetime. Love him or hate him, he played at a different speed.

Him and Darrell Green :eek:

kcxiv
01-03-2010, 08:09 PM
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/2008-02-22-40-yard-dash_N.htm

Bo Jackson... 4.12

TheGuardian
01-03-2010, 08:12 PM

Bo Jackson... 4.12

I already addressed this. Hand held times don't mean shit.

RedThat
01-03-2010, 08:12 PM
Wasn't Allen 6'1 or 6'2 at 210 that ain't chumpchange size:shake:

Allen was 6'2 210. Thats not small, both Charles and Allen have similar bodyframes. Except, Allen is 3 inches taller and 10 pounds heavier.

But Im sure they have similar thickness in their frames. Charles is 5'11 200.

My thoughts on a bruiser style RB is one who is anywhere from 225 and beyond. Someone like an Eddie George, Jerome Bettis, Natrone Means, or Brandon Jacobs. But I think teams can survive without those kind of backs provided that they have a special RB. Tennessee is an example. They had a great 1-2 punch with White and Johnson, but since they discovered that Johnson is a special kind of player they have no use for White. Thats where Im trying to get at with Charles. I think he has the ability to be that same special kind of player like Johnson.

TigerPig
01-03-2010, 08:13 PM

But even a handheld time isn't going to be off by almost a full tenth of a second... surely, that's a LOT of freaking time.

Rain Man
01-03-2010, 08:16 PM

Bo Jackson... 4.12

Good stuff. The most interesting part to me is that all of those "best of..." lists in the article are a who's who of people who didn't last long in the league.

rockymtnchief
01-03-2010, 08:17 PM
But even a handheld time isn't going to be off by almost a full tenth of a second... surely, that's a LOT of freaking time.

Watching the combine, I've seen hand held times off by more than .10 seconds many times.

OnTheWarpath15
01-03-2010, 08:19 PM
No one has ever run a 4.19. Not at the combine, not anywhere legit. All sorts of claims are made but no one has ever run that.

And in case you didn't know, hand held times don't mean shit. That's why I said electronic timing. This is why you consistently don't know anything about football or the shit that surrounds it.

I guess 40 times were just widely ignored in the days before electronic timing?

What a joke.

Lonewolf Ed
01-03-2010, 08:20 PM

I made the same comparison today, too. Marcus made quick, subtle cuts to elude tacklers, and Jamaal runs that way as well. It's good to see!

Chiefshrink
01-03-2010, 08:21 PM
LOLOLOL!!! Ya'll are getting caught up between hand held and electronic!!!! Regardless these guys are blazing MoFo's PEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERIOD!!!!!!

Marcellus
01-03-2010, 08:31 PM
Allen was 6'2 210. Thats not small, both Charles and Allen have similar bodyframes. Except, Allen is 3 inches taller and 10 pounds heavier.

But Im sure they have similar thickness in their frames. Charles is 5'11 200.

Figure 1" of height should equal about 10lbs of weight on the same frame, 5lbs minimum. Marcus Allen was skinny for a RB. All you have to do is look at the film.

TheGuardian
01-03-2010, 08:33 PM

Hand held times can be off by MORE than that.

kcxiv
01-03-2010, 08:33 PM

its still the fastest recorded time. so you, meh, id otn care enough to debate that. Have fun.

TheGuardian
01-03-2010, 08:34 PM
I guess 40 times were just widely ignored in the days before electronic timing?

What a joke.

you're a fucking joke because you don't understand the difference.

TheGuardian
01-03-2010, 08:36 PM
its still the fastest recorded time. so you, meh, id otn care enough to debate that. Have fun.

However, the method of timing a 40-yard dash can affect the accuracy by as much 0.5 seconds (with the manual stopwatch method).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/40-yard_dash

Scroll down a bit dumbass. This is why hand held times don't mean shit.

Rain Man
01-03-2010, 08:36 PM
It was a different time, but I distinctly remember when Marcus Allen was drafted. He slipped a little bit (still a top ten pick if I remember) because it was said that some teams considered him too small and slow to be a feature back. I remember worrying at the time that the Raiders got him.

LOCOChief
01-03-2010, 08:59 PM
I made the same comparison today, too. Marcus made quick, subtle cuts to elude tacklers, and Jamaal runs that way as well. It's good to see!

Both my wife and I made see the same Allen comaparison, today and it'll bring us back next year!

All phases looked good, take a game changer in the draft and we'll be well on our way.

Pitt Gorilla
01-03-2010, 09:26 PM
Johnson is faster.

How fast?

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/cHofAqyja_s&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/cHofAqyja_s&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

Oh Snap
01-03-2010, 09:48 PM
I think we need to be able to diversify our running attack better with a dose of the power game as a change of pace.

Of course, to do this we would need to upgrade our interior line significantly as well.

if its not broke, dont fix it! Thats when we tend to fawk things up!

And Im not sure who is faster, but they both looking like spittin-images of one another. Its amazing how much better our offense has gotten since we have started to have some sort of running game.

I can honestly say that we should have a decent offense in the upcoming season! This offense (with a few new acquisitions) should be much improved. The defense, with a DC who knows what he is doing, should also be improved.

Im just glad we have somthing good to take away from what has been a dreadful season!

Chiefshrink
01-03-2010, 10:06 PM
Not to take anything away from Charles today but shortly after the Broncos 6-0 run their Run D began to show fractures getting bigger as the season went on and finally resulting in a fullblown compound fracture today that resembled last yr's run D.

Bottom line: Denver's D was a "BIGTIME POSER" getting more exposed as the season went on.

Mr. Flopnuts
01-03-2010, 10:07 PM
There is no question today whether or not JC can be a feature back.

Chiefshrink
01-03-2010, 10:13 PM
There is no question today whether or not JC can be a feature back.

No Doubt!!