PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Romeo Crennel (likely) to Chiefs (ESPN)

Archie F. Swin
01-03-2010, 07:52 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4792324

Easy 6
01-03-2010, 07:53 PM
... PBJPBJPBJPBJPBJPBJ

Bane
:facepalm:

DaFace
epostray

BigMeatballDave
Re to the post

milkman
Welcome to this morning.

boogblaster
That would be a upgrade ....

doomy3
Uhh, you may want to change the title so it doesn't read like this is done. There is nothing new in this thread that wasn't posted before the game.

TigerPig
01-03-2010, 07:54 PM
As a noob, I ask you...

The deal is done?

big nasty kcnut
01-03-2010, 07:55 PM
To the ship
Posted via Mobile Device

CrazyPhuD
01-03-2010, 07:55 PM
Well we do need an offensive coordinator!

http://www.footballnewsnow.com/2010/chiefs-interested-in-romeo-crennel-as-offensive-coordinator/

BigRedChief
01-03-2010, 07:56 PM
As a noob, I ask you...

The deal is done?
My info says yes.

Deberg_1990
01-03-2010, 07:57 PM
Well its either him or Eric Mangini...

Kyle DeLexus
01-03-2010, 07:57 PM

http://www.footballnewsnow.com/2010/chiefs-interested-in-romeo-crennel-as-offensive-coordinator/

Haha

kcpasco
01-03-2010, 08:03 PM
The deal is done?

Royal Fanatic
01-03-2010, 08:05 PM

I think I'll start getting all of my football news from that site. ROFL

doomy3
01-03-2010, 08:11 PM
My info says yes.

No shit?

Well, that's awesome, IMO.

Kyle DeLexus
01-03-2010, 08:14 PM
I think I'll start getting all of my football news from that site. ROFL

Me too....epic fail, Romeo Crennel is our new Offensive Coordinator ROFL

BigRedChief
01-03-2010, 08:17 PM
No shit?

Well, that's awesome, IMO.Weiss as OC also. Or at least he's been offered the job and Haley has already talked to him about the job.

KC kid
01-03-2010, 08:20 PM
When do you think we will hear news on this? Will Clancy take another role in the organization?

doomy3
01-03-2010, 08:22 PM
Weiss as OC also. Or at least he's been offered the job and Haley has already talked to him about the job.

Well, I know some of the posters on this site will hate that because they came from NE, but I would be very happy with that.

BryanBusby
01-03-2010, 08:23 PM
Well, I know some of the posters on this site will hate that because they came from NE, but I would be very happy with that.

Right now I'd be happy with a broken condom as DC over Pendergast.

ROYC75
01-03-2010, 08:23 PM
Weiss as OC also. Or at least he's been offered the job and Haley has already talked to him about the job.

Link ?

Here we go folks, Patriots Midwest, or is it The Midwest Patriots ? KC Patriots ?

doomy3
01-03-2010, 08:24 PM
Link ?

Here we go folks, Patriots Midwest, or is it The Midwest Patriots ? KC Patriots ?

There isn't going to be a link to this. BRC has some pretty reliable sources.

OnTheWarpath15
01-03-2010, 08:24 PM

I can tell you this:

If the rumors are true, and Pioli is getting the band back together, all excuses are out the fucking window.

Compete for a playoff spot in 2010, or GTFO.

This winning 2 games more than the year before shit isn't going to cut it.

SAUTO
01-03-2010, 08:25 PM
Link ?

bigredchief needs no link. HE is the link. shakeshead
Posted via Mobile Device

tk13
Bigger shocker ever. or not. It's obvious that we wanted Crennel from the moment we hired a bunch of defensive coaches and didn't appoint any of them to DC.

DeezNutz

BRC with a lot of info--some new, some as confirmation.

Nice work, dude.

doomy3
01-03-2010, 08:26 PM
I can tell you this:

If the rumors are true, and Pioli is getting the band back together, all excuses are out the ****ing window.

Was competing for a playoff spot in 2010 your original expectation when we changed regimes last offseason?

the Talking Can

interesting....

KC kid
Bigger shocker ever. or not. It's obvious that we wanted Crennel from the moment we hired a bunch of defensive coaches and didn't appoint any of them to DC.

This is true for sure.

RedThat
01-03-2010, 08:27 PM
I can tell you this:

If the rumors are true, and Pioli is getting the band back together, all excuses are out the ****ing window.

Gotta get the players as well. Thats the key. Hiring good coaches helps. Its a step in the right direction, but gotta get the players also.

BigRedChief
Link ?

I'm saying it. A little birdie told me. Not exactly shocking info or unexpected. You could see this coming for months.

SAUTO
BRC with a lot of info--some new, some as confirmation.

Nice work, dude.

now i wish he would give us the DJ scoop hes reased before.....
Posted via Mobile Device

OnTheWarpath15
01-03-2010, 08:28 PM
Was competing for a playoff spot in 2010 your original expectation when we changed regimes last offseason?

Yes, it was. 3-4 wins this year, compete next, and go deep in the playoffs in 2012.

Problem is, I think they wasted this year.

But I'm sick of hearing excuses. Pioli wants to surround himself with his buddies, fine. But fucking win.

mlyonsd
01-03-2010, 08:29 PM
FWIW I heard on the Fox pre-game this morning Crennel coming to KC a possibility.

DeezNutz
Gotta get the players as well. Thats the key. Hiring good coaches helps. Its a step in the right direction, but gotta get the players also.

We have the Executive of the Decade.

Why should we not hit a fucking home run in the draft and FA. He's the top-paid GM in the league, why should we not expect him to perform like it?

He's had his "evaluation year" (read: lame fucking excuse) after all.

tk13
I can tell you this:

Don't start setting up excuses for failure. This team still has a ton of holes.

milkman

I can't speak for Path, but I felt with the right offseason moves, and a good draft in both '09 and '10, with the young talent on hand already, that we should be contending for, though not necessarily securing, a spot in the 2010 season.

OnTheWarpath15

Like I said, no excuses.

Pioli brought in over 45 new players this year, and whiffed on all but two.

BigRedChief
01-03-2010, 08:30 PM
now i wish he would give us the DJ scoop hes reased before.....
Posted via Mobile DeviceTrust me , you don't want to know.:shake:

dirk digler
I can tell you this:

If the rumors are true, and Pioli is getting the band back together, all excuses are out the fucking window.

I agree the excuses should go down but competing for a playoff spot next year? I don't know about that unless you consider 6-10, 7-9, or 8-8 competing

Pioli Zombie
Yes, it was. 3-4 wins this year, compete next, and go deep in the playoffs in 2012.

But I'm sick of hearing excuses. Pioli wants to surround himself with his buddies, fine. But fucking win.
How was this year wasted when you expected 3-4 wins and they won 4?
Posted via Mobile Device

OnTheWarpath15
01-03-2010, 08:31 PM
Don't start setting up excuses for failure. This team still has a ton of holes.

Excuses?

The fans of this regime has been full of them.

Who's fault is it that this team has a ton of holes?

You can't blame anyone but Pioli - he brought in over 45 new players after he was hired, and whiffed on all but two of them.

What will the excuse be if he blows another draft/offseason like he did in 2009?

dirk digler
01-03-2010, 08:31 PM

I think your original premise was the correct one. stick to that.

OnTheWarpath15
01-03-2010, 08:32 PM
How was this year wasted when you expected 3-4 wins and they won 4?
Posted via Mobile Device

Because we didn't add a single core player.

45 new players, and our only young impact player of that group is a fucking kicker.

FAX
01-03-2010, 08:33 PM

Why should we not hit a ****ing home run in the draft and FA. He's the top-paid GM in the league, why should we not expect him to perform like it?

He's had his "evaluation year" (read: lame ****ing excuse) after all.

Other than the "lame excuse" part, I totally agree. When you have a pedigree like Pioli, expectations are high ... as they should be.

I do, however, give him the benefit of the doubt this year ... and have from the beginning. I don't think Gandhi could have reasonably be expected to turn this leaky-ass, turd canoe around in one year. The water was just too fast and we were already halfway over the waterfall.

FAX

OnTheWarpath15
I can't speak for Path, but I felt with the right offseason moves, and a good draft in both '09 and '10, with the young talent on hand already, that we should be contending for, though not necessarily securing, a spot in the 2010 season.

Exactly.

Instead, the offseason and the draft were a fucking abortion.

Bowser
Another way to look at this (if both rumors are true) -

Romeo and Weiss can come in here and start installing their systems IMMEDIATELY, and the players won't have to wait until the second week of March to know what kind of system they are going to be running. I think that is going to be the biggest win overall for this team if these reports are accurate. These guys will have a COMPLETE offseason to learn their jobs, not trying to crash course it over the length of the season (esp. offense).

Pioli Zombie
01-03-2010, 08:35 PM
Why don't you wait for 2010 before you determine that 2010 will be a disappointment. Maybe they do go 8-8 next year and are competing. If they aren't then I would agree they have failed to meet expectations.
Posted via Mobile Device

tk13
01-03-2010, 08:36 PM
Excuses?

The fans of this regime has been full of them.

Who's fault is it that this team has a ton of holes?

You can't blame anyone but Pioli - he brought in over 45 new players after he was hired, and whiffed on all but two of them.

What will the excuse be if he blows another draft/offseason like he did in 2009?

There won't be any excuses if he does it again.

But... he hasn't done that yet. Like I said, don't be setting up any excuses for failure. Why would we presume otherwise... unless you think the whole thing is already a bust and it's time to start over.

DeezNutz
01-03-2010, 08:37 PM
Other than the "lame excuse" part, I totally agree. When you have a pedigree like Pioli, expectations are high ... as they should be.

I do, however, give him the benefit of the doubt this year ... and have from the beginning. I don't think Gandhi could have reasonably be expected to turn this leaky-ass, turd canoe around in one year. The water was just too fast and we were already halfway over the waterfall.

FAX

I might be completely wrong on this FAX, but I just believe that if Pioli actually had to see the players whom we have on our roster perform, in person, for an entire year in order to make a proper evaluation, we were sold an amazing bag of monkey shit that was passed off as a bag of gold.

chiefzilla1501
01-03-2010, 08:39 PM

Why should we not hit a ****ing home run in the draft and FA. He's the top-paid GM in the league, why should we not expect him to perform like it?

If the Chiefs make very good offseason moves, then it's a fair excuse. There's no doubt he has a lot more to work with this offseason than he did the last. Let's just see what he makes of it. I think a GM is more a product of the people underneath him than people realize.

Pioli Zombie
01-03-2010, 08:39 PM
What miserable sacks of shit some of you guys are. You can't even enjoy todays game.
Posted via Mobile Device

DeezNutz
01-03-2010, 08:40 PM
Of course, it's likely that FA this year is going to be a completely different animal, but we've covered this ground before...

Which made last year all the more important.

Marcellus
01-03-2010, 08:41 PM
Exactly.

Instead, the offseason and the draft were a ****ing abortion.

How do we know today that the 2009 draft was an abortion? That is what kills me. Let's write off the draft already after their rookie season.

Everybody already knows the top 2 players drafted were not going to be statistic killers and would have some time to adjust.

Give it a break until we know.

Pioli Zombie
01-03-2010, 08:42 PM
How do we know today that the 2009 draft was an abortion? That is what kills me. Let's write off the draft already after their rookie season.

Everybody already knows the top 2 players drafted were not going to be statistic killers and would have some time to adjust.

That goes against the code of the Brothers Grimm.
Posted via Mobile Device

EyePod
01-03-2010, 08:43 PM

I worry about having too many guys who want to do too much... all with HC experience (ND is ~an NFL team at least scrutiny wise).

Bowser
01-03-2010, 08:44 PM
I worry about having too many guys who want to do too much... all with HC experience (ND is ~an NFL team at least scrutiny wise).

Haley MIGHT be able to assert himself if he needs to. Heh.

RedThat
01-03-2010, 08:45 PM
Like I said, no excuses.

Pioli brought in over 45 new players this year, and whiffed on all but two.

Just be patient. It takes time.

Adding talent to a roster isn't something that happens overnight. It takes time, sometimes years. And even when you add young players through the draft, they need time to develop.

Its his first year here, and he is getting a feel for the team. Do you really expect him to make several good moves right away?

Getting a feel for the team is no different then getting to know the team in general. And maybe he underestimated the talent level throughtout the roster? that happens. Several of the moves he made were not in favor of signing top quality UFA's, a lot of the moves he made were low priced veterans who were at the end of their careers or tier 2,3 FA's who could possibly serve as potential role players. I think he was more focused on finding good role players rather then finding players who possess tremendous talent and skill.

OnTheWarpath15
01-03-2010, 08:45 PM

Tyson Jackson could become one of the best 5-techs in the history of the league, and he still doesn't warrant being picked 3rd overall.

Spare me the "well, taking up double teams allow others to be playmakers" bullshit that is eventually coming.

I can't believe people line up to defend someone who hasn't drafted a playmaker in forever - here or in NE.

R&GHomer
01-03-2010, 08:47 PM
If the Chiefs make very good offseason moves, then it's a fair excuse. There's no doubt he has a lot more to work with this offseason than he did the last. Let's just see what he makes of it. I think a GM is more a product of the people underneath him than people realize.

I would tend to agree, hence the firing of "if I'm not mistaken" the entire scouting department. Lots of things to consider when judging Pioli's first year. This coming offseason and draft will be a true measure of his overall competence. IMHO of course.

Mr_Tomahawk
01-03-2010, 08:47 PM
Tyson Jackson could become one of the best 5-techs in the history of the league, and he still doesn't warrant being picked 3rd overall.

Spare me the "well, taking up double teams allow others to be playmakers" bullshit that is eventually coming.

I can't believe people line up to defend someone who hasn't drafted a playmaker in forever - here or in NE.

Your line of reasoning is jaded by your aptitude for logic...chill and enjoy the win.

OnTheWarpath15
01-03-2010, 08:48 PM
Just be patient. It takes time.

Adding talent to a roster isn't something that happens overnight. It takes time, sometimes years. And even when you add young players through the draft, they need time to develop.

Its his first year here, and he is getting a feel for the team. Do you really expect him to make several good moves right away?

Getting a feel for the team is no different then getting to know the team in general. And maybe he underestimated the talent level throughtout the roster? that happens. Several of the moves he made were not in favor of signing top quality UFA's, a lot of the moves he made were low priced veterans who were at the end of their careers or tier 2,3 FA's who could possibly serve as potential role players. I think he was more focused on finding good role players rather then finding players who possess tremendous talent and skill.

No, I expected him to whiff on 98% of his talent evaluations.

Jesus, it's amazing the excuses being made for the guy who was supposedly the best at his job in the league.

I bet Cleveland fans will excuse the new regime if they don't ad a single playmaker this offseason.

You have to take a full year to evaluate the roster, you know.

OnTheWarpath15
01-03-2010, 08:49 PM
Your line of reasoning is jaded by your aptitude for logic...chill and enjoy the win.

I enjoyed today more than any game since the Thanksgiving Night game in 2006.

That doesn't change the fact that this organization is out of excuses.

mlyonsd
01-03-2010, 08:50 PM
This thread makes me laugh. Even when we're looking to possibly upgrade our coaching staff some think we're a total lost cause and its over.

Evidently when you go 2-14 one year and you don't make the playoffs the next you're a failure.

Too F'ing funny.

Chiefshrink
01-03-2010, 08:51 PM

Agreed.

OnTheWarpath15
01-03-2010, 08:52 PM
This thread makes me laugh. Even when we're looking to possibly upgrade our coaching staff some think we're a total lost cause and its over.

Evidently when you go 2-14 one year and you don't make the playoffs the next you're a failure.

Too F'ing funny.

Who said that?

Feel free to post a quote.

chiefzilla1501
01-03-2010, 08:54 PM
I enjoyed today more than any game since the Thanksgiving Night game in 2006.

That doesn't change the fact that this organization is out of excuses.

Out of excuses, yes. But that doesn't mean that he'll be operating in 2010 armed with an entirely different set of resources.

It doesn't take a full year to evaluate. But it takes a while to get the right people in place to help you evaluate. If the Chiefs add a DC/OC, then most of the structure is in place.

Chiefshrink
01-03-2010, 08:55 PM

FAX

Couldn't have said it better. Pioli and Haley didn't realize how bad Carl was at destroying a franchise especially after Carl cut Marty off from drafting and signing FA's in Marty's last yr or 2. Been downhill ever since then.

RedThat
01-03-2010, 08:55 PM

It's 1 season. ONE season...Everybody knew this year the Chiefs were going to be garbage. Everybody knew that, and everybody knew that Pioli, Haley and the rest of the guys were going to have their hands full. Kansas City isn't exactly the brightest spot for any GM or coach, but a BIG challenge since its a bad situation in general because the team is so devoid in talent.

Do you really expect him to come in here and dramatically turn this whole team around in 1 season? Lets be realistic. He may or may not hit homeruns? Only time will determine that. We just need to be patient.

Chiefshrink
01-03-2010, 08:57 PM
I would tend to agree, hence the firing of "if I'm not mistaken" the entire scouting department. Lots of things to consider when judging Pioli's first year. This coming offseason and draft will be a true measure of his overall competence. IMHO of course.

Bravo!!! Well said!!:thumb:

RedThat
01-03-2010, 09:00 PM
No, I expected him to whiff on 98% of his talent evaluations.

Jesus, it's amazing the excuses being made for the guy who was supposedly the best at his job in the league.

I bet Cleveland fans will excuse the new regime if they don't ad a single playmaker this offseason.

You have to take a full year to evaluate the roster, you know.

Its not about the excuses. We just need to be understanding. Building a team requires time and patience. Time is a factor in building a team, so is making good moves and bad moves, this is the nature of it all whether you are a good gm or bad gm.

Chiefshrink
01-03-2010, 09:00 PM
It's 1 season. ONE season...Everybody knew this year the Chiefs were going to be garbage. Everybody knew that, and everybody knew that Pioli, Haley and the rest of the guys were going to have their hands full. Kansas City isn't exactly the brightest spot for any GM or coach, but a BIG challenge since its a bad situation in general because the team is so devoid in talent.

Do you really expect him to come in here and dramatically turn this whole team around in 1 season? Lets be realistic. He may or may not hit homeruns? Only time will determine that. We just need to be patient.

Agree thoroughly!!! It's just frustration by many my friend.

mlyonsd
01-03-2010, 09:01 PM
Who said that?

Feel free to post a quote.

I didn't say you did but your how you measure improvement is way f'ing flawed.

OnTheWarpath15
01-03-2010, 09:02 PM

And people wonder why some of get get pissed off. Mostly due to the lack of reading comprehension by posters like you.

NO ONE, and I repeat - no one expect the team to be turned around in one year.

But it's not too much to ask to add talent via the draft and FA. Bringing in 45+ players and getting one young impact player - a kicker - out of it is unacceptable.

It does take time to build a Championship team. But it takes even longer when you completely waste an offseason.

No excuses.

OnTheWarpath15
01-03-2010, 09:04 PM
I didn't say you did but your how you measure improvement is way f'ing flawed.

So, if you're now saying I didn't say it, would you like to show us who did?

Or can you just admit you were talking out of your ass, and we can move on?

chiefzilla1501
01-03-2010, 09:08 PM
And people wonder why some of get get pissed off. Mostly due to the lack of reading comprehension by posters like you.

But it's not too much to ask to add talent via the draft and FA. Bringing in 45+ players and getting one young impact player - a kicker - out of it is unacceptable.

It does take time to build a Championship team. But it takes even longer when you completely waste an offseason.

No excuses.

But it's not like we were out there gunning for these big time moves packaged to the fan base as franchise-changing moves. The vast majority of those 45 moves are 1-2 year contract guys who are serving either as stopgaps or complete longshots to fill the roster. Cassel was the only guy brought in with that kind of expectation, and yes, so far, he's not living up to it.

Pioli's obviously taking it slow. It's rough on my anxiety and not my style. But who really cares if we wasted 2009 if from year 2 forward, we start moving on the fast track toward the right results? In the end, we lose one year.

DeezNutz
01-03-2010, 09:14 PM

Yeah, I guess all of my posts about expecting a 10-11 win season were unrealistic.

But I think we have a SB run in us in 2010, though.

Pioli Zombie
01-03-2010, 09:33 PM

No excuses.
I love how you can determine that only 1 out of 45 will have an impact. You genius you.
Posted via Mobile Device

RedThat
01-03-2010, 09:35 PM

No excuses.

Listen buddy, don't get personal with me. Go take your personal sh*t out of my face. If you wanna be that way, I'll throw one back at ya.

NO ONE, and you repeat - no one expects the team to be turned around in one year? Well, some of you sure as hell act like you do?

Why don't you pay attention to the quality of content in your posts before you can make an accurate judgements on others you ignorant A-hole. You wanna get personal, like I said, I'll throw one back in your face.

This is you:

"Pioli is getting the band back together, all excuses are out the ****ing window. Compete for a playoff spot in 2010 or GTFO."

OMG! OMG! I got a eff'n reading comprehesion problem, yet you have the nerve to say nobody expected to have the team turned around in one year? YOU sure as hell want them to...So take your words eat them and shut the f*ck up!

OnTheWarpath15
01-03-2010, 09:36 PM
But it's not like we were out there gunning for these big time moves packaged to the fan base as franchise-changing moves. The vast majority of those 45 moves are 1-2 year contract guys who are serving either as stopgaps or complete longshots to fill the roster. Cassel was the only guy brought in with that kind of expectation, and yes, so far, he's not living up to it.

Pioli's obviously taking it slow. It's rough on my anxiety and not my style. But who really cares if we wasted 2009 if from year 2 forward, we start moving on the fast track toward the right results? In the end, we lose one year.

Wow.

I just read a post that defended bringing in 45 stopgaps for a rebuilding team.

OnTheWarpath15
01-03-2010, 09:37 PM
Listen buddy, don't get personal with me. Go take your personal sh*t out of my face. If you wanna be that way, I'll throw one back at ya.

NO ONE, and you repeat - no one expected the team to be turned around in one year? Well, some of you sure as hell act like you do?

Why don't you pay attention to the quality of content in your posts before you can make an accurate judgements on others you ignorant A-hole. You wanna get personal, like I said, I'll throw one back in your face.

This is you:

"Pioli is getting the band back together, all excuses are out the ****ing window. Compete for a playoff spot in 2010 or GTFO."

OMG! OMG! I got a eff'n reading comprehesion, yet you have the nerve to say nobody expected to have the team turned around in one year? YOU sure as hell want them to...So take your words eat them and shut the f*ck up!

Wouldn't that be TWO years, dipshit?

RedThat
01-03-2010, 09:40 PM
Wouldn't that be TWO years, dipshit?

Nope. Im referring to after this year. You act like this team is supposed to be dramatically better the next year. this is becasue you have high standards but yet unrealistic standards.

OnTheWarpath15
01-03-2010, 09:42 PM
Nope. Im referring to after this year.

So this year didn't count?

Holy shit, this is comedy gold.

Titty Meat
01-03-2010, 09:42 PM
Wow.

To be fair we knew this is what the Patriots do. The first year they went 5-11 despite being 9-7 the year before. We all knew the Chiefs would suck the problem with the discussion is lines were never set as to what is a successful season. The new regime did double the # of wins in just one season.

Pioli Zombie
01-03-2010, 09:43 PM
This is the way to enjoy the best win in 3 years.
Posted via Mobile Device

RedThat
01-03-2010, 09:44 PM
So this year didn't count?

Holy shit, this is comedy gold.

Oh f*ck off

OnTheWarpath15
01-03-2010, 09:45 PM
Oh f*ck off

Excellent rebuttal. Well thought out.

RedThat
01-03-2010, 09:46 PM
Excellent rebuttal. Well thought out.

The comment towards you is well deserved:D

Galileo Humpkins
01-03-2010, 09:48 PM
I've no idea who this jobber is, but if he was bad enough to get fired by the Cleveland $%^$ing Browns, this should mean we'll win at least 6 games next season.

I'm stoked.

chiefzilla1501
01-03-2010, 09:49 PM
Wow.

I'm not defending those moves.

But you keep toting this 45 acquisitions without acknowledging that the vast majority of those moves were made outside of the first day of the draft or the first wave of free agency.

They've had some major whiffs. But who gives a shit if we whiff on a guy like Lance Long or Bobby Wade, who we picked up off of the scrap heap? It's not like they were brought in on the expectation of being a starter 5 years down the road.

Like I said, he's taking it really slow. It's frustrating. But it's not as if we were really aggressive in year 1 and whiffed.

Titty Meat
01-03-2010, 09:49 PM
Chiefsplanet must be advertising on WIPE

OnTheWarpath15
01-03-2010, 09:51 PM
I'm not defending those moves.

But you keep toting this 45 acquisitions without acknowledging that the vast majority of those moves were made outside of the first day of the draft or the first wave of free agency.

They've had some major whiffs. But who gives a shit if we whiff on a guy like Lance Long or Bobby Wade, who we picked up off of the scrap heap? It's not like they were brought in on the expectation of being a starter 5 years down the road.

Like I said, he's taking it really slow. It's frustrating. But it's not as if we were really aggressive in year 1 and whiffed.

Why are they only picking off the scrap heap?

So they aren't held accountable when those players suck, or look like geniuses if they work out?

DeezNutz
01-03-2010, 09:53 PM

Because the top FAs that would have filled major holes, like a Jason Brown, would never sign with a dog shit organization like the Chiefs.

chiefzilla1501
01-03-2010, 09:54 PM

So they aren't held accountable when those players suck, or look like geniuses if they work out?

I don't know why they picked off the scrap heap. Maybe, like the head coaching and coordinator decision, they decided to do a thorough evaluation before making any long-term decisions. Maybe he didn't want to make too many big moves when he didn't trust the personnel staff he had in place.

Do I think that's a strategy they'll stick to the next five years? Hell no. Of course they'll be aggressive in free agency at some point.

I don't know the answers to these questions. It's not my cup of tea to take this kind of a patient approach. But if that's the approach, he deserves next year to prove what he can do when he goes full throttle. I'm not saying I have any kind of confidence that he'll have a great 2010, nor am I defending what he did in 2009. But let's call it for what it was: it was a patient approach to building this team, for better or for worse.

TigerPig
01-03-2010, 09:57 PM
Because the top FAs that would have filled major holes, like a Jason Brown, would never sign with a dog shit organization like the Chiefs.

Some of them are all in it for the money.

Titty Meat
01-03-2010, 10:00 PM

Overspending for free agents year 1 isn't the way to build a franchise.

OnTheWarpath15
01-03-2010, 10:00 PM
Some of them are all in it for the money.

Yeah, it's not like we weren't $40M under the salary cap - and actually had to sign guys to meet the salary floor...

OnTheWarpath15
01-03-2010, 10:01 PM

If you think guys like Brown, Olshansky, Canty etc were overpaid, we'll never sign anyone in FA.

Titty Meat
01-03-2010, 10:03 PM
If you think guys like Brown, Olshansky, Canty etc were overpaid, we'll never sign anyone in FA.

20 million in gaurntees. He's making 24 million his first 2 seasons and he's a center. That's pretty ****ing stupid.

TigerPig
01-03-2010, 10:04 PM

This statement is probably true. We will probably never go after the biggest player in FA. It doesn't seem to be our Front Office's style.

Titty Meat
01-03-2010, 10:07 PM
This statement is probably true. We will probably never go after the biggest player in FA. It doesn't seem to be our Front Office's style.

That's bullshit we even were going after Haynesworth. You don't pay that much money for a position you can draft in the middle rounds.

OnTheWarpath15
01-03-2010, 10:07 PM
20 million in gaurntees. He's making 24 million his first 2 seasons and he's a center. That's pretty ****ing stupid.

Market value for the QB of the OL, who will lock down the center position for the next 6- years.

OnTheWarpath15
01-03-2010, 10:08 PM
That's bullshit we even were going after Haynesworth. You don't pay that much money for a position you can draft in the middle rounds.

ROFL

We weren't going after Haynesworth. Just a stupid fucking rumor.

chiefzilla1501

New England went after Adalius Thomas, Randy Moss, and Wes Welker in one offseason. It's been the Patriots' history that they don't stockpile free agents every year. They typically wait before they build a foundation and then fill in the blanks with free agent upgrades. Don't know if it's the right way or the wrong way. But it's not accurate to say that Pioli isn't a guy that won't spend.

OnTheWarpath15

We didn't even go after the B-C level FA's.

Reerun_KC
Since when?

TigerPig
Market value for the QB of the OL, who will lock down the center position for the next 6- years.

I know it was Vermeil who said it (offense whore), but he said the three most important positions on a football team are easily QB, RB and LT.

OnTheWarpath15
01-03-2010, 10:09 PM
New England went after Adalius Thomas, Randy Moss, and Wes Welker in one offseason. It's been the Patriots' history that they don't stockpile free agents every year. They typically wait before they build a foundation and then fill in the blanks with free agent upgrades. Don't know if it's the right way or the wrong way. But it's not accurate to say that Pioli isn't a guy that won't spend.

Two of those were trades, and one of them (Moss) was an absolute gift.

Titty Meat
01-03-2010, 10:09 PM

Thats why I prefer building positions like the line through the draft. Now we can agree Pioli was a moron for not upgrading the o-line.

OnTheWarpath15
01-03-2010, 10:10 PM
I know it was Vermeil who said it (offense whore), but he said the three most important positions on a football team are easily QB, RB and LT.

Good for Dick.

What's he doing now?

Don't make yourself look stupid by claiming the center isn't important.

TigerPig
01-03-2010, 10:11 PM

This last season was kinda f'd up though. They all got kinda thrown into a situation, and didn't have a feel for the team, or anything.

"Congratulations, Pioli, you're our new GM... Now here's the scouting report and Free Agent list, and since its the off season now you can't really see what you have to work with except for some tape showing some crummy QB running a offense designed by the Nevada f'ing Wolfpack."

Reerun_KC
01-03-2010, 10:11 PM
Good for Dick.

What's he doing now?

Probably polishing his superbowl ring over a glass of wine...

TigerPig
01-03-2010, 10:12 PM
Good for Dick.

What's he doing now?

Not stupid, just saying not AS important as the QB's blindside. There's a reason its one of the highest paid positions in the NFL.

Probably polishing his superbowl ring over a glass of wine...

Crying over how good his Cabernet is.

Touchdown Bowe
01-03-2010, 10:12 PM

Jason Brown signed with the Rams dude..theyre the biggest shithole in the NFL

FloridaMan88
01-03-2010, 10:13 PM

A significant % of the Patriots roster was built through free agency and trades.

No one is suggesting that the Chiefs need to go Daniel Snyder in free agency, but the Chiefs virtual inactivity during free agency last year was completely unacceptable for a franchise so void of talent.

tyler360
01-03-2010, 10:16 PM
Jason Brown signed with the Rams dude..theyre the biggest shithole in the NFL

I am pretty sure that was sarcasm.

ArrowheadMagic
01-03-2010, 10:16 PM

It would be one thing if he left KC without signing, the fact Brown signed with the 1st team he visited says KC wasnt in the game to get him. Neither was any other team for that matter.

ChiefsCountry
01-03-2010, 10:20 PM
Championship teams generally have these:

Franchise QB
Game Changing Pass Rusher
Stud LT
Badass WR

Then the second group:
Dominating DT
Touchdown Scoring RB
Tough as Nails MLB
Smart Safety

That is your core group, that first group is the most important - then you fill in. Mainly if you keep those 4 main together, you should be gold. We have 4 of those 8 positions filled. And ironically all 4 came before this year and 3 from last year's draft.

chiefzilla1501
01-03-2010, 10:23 PM
This last season was kinda f'd up though. They all got kinda thrown into a situation, and didn't have a feel for the team, or anything.

"Congratulations, Pioli, you're our new GM... Now here's the scouting report and Free Agent list, and since its the off season now you can't really see what you have to work with except for some tape showing some crummy QB running a offense designed by the Nevada f'ing Wolfpack."

And oh, by the way, you have to conduct your draft and get your undrafted rookie class from some other guy's lame duck, probably unmotivated scouts. And you have three months to do that draft evaluation, when most teams go year-round, around-the-clock.

Your second point is also a great point. That offense really overrated the ability of players like Tyler Thigpen and Mark Bradley, but it also made Albert probably look a lot better than he actually was (for the record, I think Albert's proven this year to be a guy we can rely on).

jAZ
01-03-2010, 10:41 PM
Wow.

It's called building through the draft.

DeezNutz
01-03-2010, 10:44 PM

I agree. This would have been an excellent approach.

DaneMcCloud
01-03-2010, 11:03 PM

Link?

OnTheWarpath15
01-03-2010, 11:04 PM
I agree. This would have been an excellent approach.

ROFL

DaneMcCloud
01-03-2010, 11:05 PM
And oh, by the way, you have to conduct your draft and get your undrafted rookie class from some other guy's lame duck, probably unmotivated scouts. And you have three months to do that draft evaluation, when most teams go year-round, around-the-clock.

Your second point is also a great point. That offense really overrated the ability of players like Tyler Thigpen and Mark Bradley, but it also made Albert probably look a lot better than he actually was (for the record, I think Albert's proven this year to be a guy we can rely on).

Nonsense.

Are you claiming that Pioli, because he was hired in January by the Chiefs, had neglected to scout players while in New England?

Why can't you get over the fact that the 2009 Chiefs draft was a sack of shit?

Stop making excuses where excuses are invalid.

BigRedChief
01-03-2010, 11:07 PM
Championship teams generally have these:

Franchise QB
Game Changing Pass Rusher
Stud LT
Badass WR

Then the second group:
Dominating DT
Touchdown Scoring RB
Tough as Nails MLB
Smart Safety

That is your core group, that first group is the most important - then you fill in. Mainly if you keep those 4 main together, you should be gold. We have 4 of those 8 positions filled. And ironically all 4 came before this year and 3 from last year's draft.
Can you please inform me who/what positions are filled on your list besides Charles?

OnTheWarpath15
01-03-2010, 11:10 PM
Can you please inform me who/what positions are filled on your list besides Charles?

Possibly Albert.

Otherwise, zilch.

DeezNutz
01-03-2010, 11:15 PM
A shutdown corner could be added to CC's list.

And we have a pretty damned good one.

The Bad Guy
01-03-2010, 11:15 PM
I'm just happy they aren't settling in with Pendergast. This is a huge upgrade.

Brock
01-03-2010, 11:16 PM
Yeah, #1 corner looks okay.

ChiefsCountry
01-03-2010, 11:17 PM

Albert and Bowe for sure. Shit I put Dorsey at DT instead of 3 tech. So scratch the DT position one, its still open.

ChiefsCountry
01-03-2010, 11:19 PM
A shutdown corner could be added to CC's list.

And we have a pretty damned good one.

It could be very well, its sort of a hit & miss on all of the great teams over the years.

Ralphy Boy
01-03-2010, 11:23 PM
I might be completely wrong on this FAX, but I just believe that if Pioli actually had to see the players whom we have on our roster perform, in person, for an entire year in order to make a proper evaluation, we were sold an amazing bag of monkey shit that was passed off as a bag of gold.

You know I used to agree with this completely and I said as much a while back. Then it occured to me that early on, its entirely possible that Clark told him not to. Given the youth movement we'd been under, maybe Clark thought they'd built a good nucleus of players and asked Pioli to give those players time to see how well they fit into the system before he made wholesale changes to the personnel. Given that adding free agents would have been very expensive and that they were a few years away from being competitive, its entirely possible.

Its also possible that since we were playing the waiting game for coaches; both with Haley & then Romeo, that we ultimately missed out on adding any key FA defensive players.

The timeline was rather condensed.
Haley was hired on 2/6, Free Agency began 2/27, News leaked out about Crennel turning us down around 3/5. Pendergast was named DC on 3/13.

McDaniels was hired by Denver on 1/11 and Pioli was hired by KC on 1/13.

I'd be curious to see what would have happened had Pioli been hired before McD. I'd have to think he'd have added McD rather than Haley. Obviously, if he had, the Cassel trade would have still gone down and Cutler would still be in Denver, but Cassel would probably have looked much better this season.

Ralphy Boy
01-03-2010, 11:26 PM

UNMOTIVATED???????????

I'd think the hopes of KEEPING YOUR JOB would be motivation enough.

DaneMcCloud
01-03-2010, 11:28 PM
I'm just happy they aren't settling in with Pendergast. This is a huge upgrade.

Serious question: Is it?

I know that Pendergast sucks but in all honesty, can anyone vouch for Crennel's effectiveness outside of Belichick's presence?

One would think that anyone would be better than our current DC but then again, everyone said that last year.

Royal Fanatic
01-03-2010, 11:31 PM
Serious question: Is it?

I know that Pendergast sucks but in all honesty, can anyone vouch for Crennel's effectiveness outside of Belichick's presence?

One would think that anyone would be better than our current DC but then again, everyone said that last year.
I don't think anyone can. However, at least Crennel's defenses were good when the Pats were winning Super Bowls. Pendergast's defense sucked when the Cardinals went to the Super Bowl.

TigerPig
01-03-2010, 11:34 PM
Rumor has it he was spotted in Mission Hills installing 48" doors and elevators in a 3-story.

DaneMcCloud
01-03-2010, 11:37 PM
I don't think anyone can. However, at least Crennel's defenses were good when the Pats were winning Super Bowls. Pendergast's defense sucked when the Cardinals went to the Super Bowl.

Actually, the Cardinals defense began to improve over the course of last season and really hit their stride in the post-season.

But overall, Pendergast is an abortion.

But does anyone actually know if Crennel is an average to above average DC?

I mean, look at San Diego: They're 18-6 since firing Ted Cotrell and replacing him with Ron Rivera.

THAT'S the kind of improvement that can be quantified and I'm wondering if anyone can point to Crennel and do the same.

DeezNutz
01-03-2010, 11:38 PM
Rumor has it he was spotted in Mission Hills installing 48" doors and elevators in a 3-story.

LMAO at the doors.

chiefzilla1501
01-03-2010, 11:51 PM
Nonsense.

Are you claiming that Pioli, because he was hired in January by the Chiefs, had neglected to scout players while in New England?

Why can't you get over the fact that the 2009 Chiefs draft was a sack of shit?

Stop making excuses where excuses are invalid.

I've said a million times the 2009 Chiefs draft was a sack of shit.

Why can't you acknowledge that with a full year of scouting with several new area scouts, a new College Scouting Director (groomed by Dimitroff), a full year to set the scouts straight on what to look for, scouts who know how to look for 3-4 guys, and a full year to consult with the coaching staff and eventually new coordinators, that there's a chance 2010 will be better?

I've never even said the Chiefs' 2010 draft will be better. I'm just saying that enough has change in the front office and in the organization since the last draft that might make us better.

I just don't understand how some people don't think those massive changes within the organization aren't going to make one lick of a difference.

Titty Meat
01-03-2010, 11:51 PM
Actually, the Cardinals defense began to improve over the course of last season and really hit their stride in the post-season.

I mean, look at San Diego: They're 18-6 since firing Ted Cotrell and replacing him with Ron Rivera.

THAT'S the kind of improvement that can be quantified and I'm wondering if anyone can point to Crennel and do the same.

I'm trying to find where the Browns ranked in 2000 when he was the Defensive Cordinator. It says the Browns had 42 sacks which is pretty good for a shitty exapansion team.

They were 26th in the league giving up 26 points a game.

DaneMcCloud
01-03-2010, 11:53 PM
I'm trying to find where the Browns ranked in 2000 when he was the Defensive Cordinator. It says the Browns had 42 sacks which is pretty good for a shitty exapansion team.

That was Chris Palmer's team.

Crennel coached the Browns from 2005 to 2008.

I'm sure NFL.com has the defensive stats.

chiefzilla1501
01-03-2010, 11:53 PM

We don't know that, but we also don't know that he'll be a failure.

This is another one of those "let's wait before we judge" situations.

One thing I know he will do is make our defensive linemen fundamentally sound, mean bastards. If he has any track record, he really knows how to coach d-linemen to play the 3-4. Can't vouch for his playcalling. But you can vouch for his positional coaching at three specific positions.

Titty Meat
01-03-2010, 11:55 PM
Looks like all of Romeos teams have been ranked in the 20's when it comes to Yards Per Game.

DaneMcCloud
01-03-2010, 11:55 PM
I've never even said the Chiefs' 2010 draft will be better. I'm just saying that enough has change in the front office and in the organization since the last draft that might make us better.

I just don't understand how some people don't think those massive changes within the organization aren't going to make one lick of a difference.

There is no quantifiable proof that change for the sake of change brings improvement.

The 2009 Chiefs draft, run by Scott Pioli, was arguably the worst draft in 50 years of the Chiefs franchise.

I'll need more than "massive changes' to believe that 2010 will be any better.

I'll need proof. And that proof won't come until May 2010.

Brock
01-03-2010, 11:56 PM

I think Crennel was the coordinator for the Browns in 2000.

Titty Meat

I'm talking about when he was the D-cordinator for a year in Cleveland according to Wikipedia.

DaneMcCloud
Looks like all of Romeos teams have been ranked in the 20's when it comes to Yards Per Game.

Cool. How about points per game?

DaneMcCloud
01-03-2010, 11:57 PM
I'm talking about when he was the D-cordinator for a year in Cleveland according to Wikipedia.

Ah, interesting. Thanks.

Titty Meat
01-03-2010, 11:59 PM
Cool. How about points per game?

Looking it up now.....

FloridaMan88
01-04-2010, 12:00 AM
We don't know that, but we also don't know that he'll be a failure.

This is another one of those "let's wait before we judge" situations.

One thing I know he will do is make our defensive linemen fundamentally sound, mean bastards. If he has any track record, he really knows how to coach d-linemen to play the 3-4. Can't vouch for his playcalling. But you can vouch for his positional coaching at three specific positions.

The idea that coaching can magically make shitty players into productive players is what got the Chiefs into this year's fiasco.

Unless Romeo's fat ass plans on suiting up at nose tackle next year, he can't magically create a dominant nose tackle that can devour 2-3 blockers.

DaneMcCloud
01-04-2010, 12:01 AM
The idea that coaching can magically make shitty players into productive players is what got the Chiefs into this year's fiasco.

Unless Romeo's fat ass plans on suiting up at nose tackle next year, he can't magically create a dominant nose tackle that can devour 2-3 blockers.

No, but he might be smart enough to change the scheme in such a way that the existing players are more effective.

That's what good coaches do.

OnTheWarpath15
01-04-2010, 12:02 AM
I've said a million times the 2009 Chiefs draft was a sack of shit.

Why can't you acknowledge that with a full year of scouting with several new area scouts, a new College Scouting Director (groomed by Dimitroff), a full year to set the scouts straight on what to look for, scouts who know how to look for 3-4 guys, and a full year to consult with the coaching staff and eventually new coordinators, that there's a chance 2010 will be better?

Because you act like Pioli hadn't been doing these things in NE.

Oddly enough, we happen to play the same defensive scheme as NE, and a very similar offensive scheme.

He was hired by a team that had holes everywhere.

The draft shouldn't have been a challenge for him at all.

Titty Meat
2001: 17
2002: 21.6
2003: 14.9
2004: 16.2

chiefzilla1501
There is no quantifiable proof that change for the sake of change brings improvement.

The 2009 Chiefs draft, run by Scott Pioli, was arguably the worst draft in 50 years of the Chiefs franchise.

I'll need more than "massive changes' to believe that 2010 will be any better.

I'll need proof. And that proof won't come until May 2010.

I agree on all those points. Always have.

I didn't like the moves made in 2009. But I do believe there were major changes made to the front office. So like I said, we'll see... there's reason to believe things will get better. But like you, I'm just waiting to see before I form an opinion on Pioli. That's the only difference.

Titty Meat
01-04-2010, 12:03 AM
2001: 17
2002: 21.6
2003: 14.9
2004: 16.2

Titty Meat
01-04-2010, 12:06 AM
2005: Browns gave up 18.8. Interesting the year Crennel left New England they gave up more points a game than Cleveland.

2006: 22.2
2007: 23.9
2008: 21.9

DaneMcCloud
01-04-2010, 12:08 AM
I agree on all those points. Always have.

I didn't like the moves made in 2009. But I do believe there were major changes made to the front office. So like I said, we'll see... there's reason to believe things will get better. But like you, I'm just waiting to see before I form an opinion on Pioli. That's the only difference.

The only opinion I've formed is of the 2009 draft.

If the 2010 draft is a slamdunk, I'll admit it in a millisecond.

If it's a head scratcher, I'll have my doubts as to his personnel decisions for two years running.

Simple as that.

Titty Meat
01-04-2010, 12:09 AM
I hope the Chiefs hire Crennel.

DaneMcCloud
01-04-2010, 12:13 AM
2005: Browns gave up 18.8. Interesting the year Crennel left New England they gave up more points a game than Cleveland.

2006: 22.2
2007: 23.9
2008: 21.9

Thanks for the research!

Without looking at the roster, I'd say that's quantifiable evidence.

I really hope the reports are true because a change is absolutely necessary and I doubt that Pioli goes outside his "family".

I think Mangini will return in Cleveland, so he's out of running.

TigerPig
01-04-2010, 12:18 AM
Thanks for the research!

I really hope the reports are true because a change is absolutely necessary and I doubt that Pioli goes outside his "family".

His name is Mangina. :-)

Crennel will be a good pick, just to mix things up. Maybe he'll have some experience with a 3-4 and teach us how to STOP THE RUN!!!

DaneMcCloud
01-04-2010, 12:21 AM
His name is Mangina. :-)

Crennel will be a good pick, just to mix things up. Maybe he'll have some experience with a 3-4 and teach us how to STOP THE RUN!!!

Unfortunately, stopping the run will have to come from the talent.

But I think that Crennel (or any other DC to be hired) would hopefully be more objective in terms of personnel and schemes.

There's definitely some talent on the defensive side of the ball and there's definitely some positional groups lacking in talent.

I'd like to see a DC that takes advantage of the personnel strengths and minimizes the weaknesses as much as possible.

Gunther and Pendergast, IMO, have proven themselves to be unable to do just that.

Titty Meat
01-04-2010, 12:21 AM
Thanks for the research!

I think having a guy like Romeo can only help Haley the same with Weis. I would like the Weis hire too I think he can improve Cassels play.

Do you think its fair to label this offseason as Piolis most important? If the Chiefs only win 4 games next year is it fair to say this regime isn't going to win anything?

chiefzilla1501
01-04-2010, 12:25 AM
Because you act like Pioli hadn't been doing these things in NE.

Oddly enough, we happen to play the same defensive scheme as NE, and a very similar offensive scheme.

He was hired by a team that had holes everywhere.

The draft shouldn't have been a challenge for him at all.

And you're acting like drafting is as easy as reading a few online scouting reports. The scouting between August to December is geared toward highlighting key prospects and starting to form questions that you answer at the combine. It gives you questions to ask, not answers. And no, the GM or Personnel Director doesn't usually have time to mull through thousands of different players. That's why they always say the first few picks go to the front office, and the later picks go to the scouts.

The most important months leading into the draft start in January through April. And you act like the College Director of Scouting and your Area Scouts then go on an 8-month vacation. Going through this four-month crunch period without being able to consult with the scouts who have been collecting information for you all this time puts you at a serious disadvantage. And no, I highly doubt that New England was sharing this information with Pioli after he left.

Titty Meat
01-04-2010, 12:25 AM
If Romeo is hired its pretty likely they'll hire some new position coaches too. Krumrie should be on his way out but he seems like to be like Haley.

OnTheWarpath15
01-04-2010, 12:26 AM
And you're acting like drafting is as easy as reading a few online scouting reports. The scouting between August to December is geared toward highlighting key prospects and starting to form questions that you answer at the combine. It gives you questions to ask, not answers. And no, the GM or Personnel Director doesn't usually have time to mull through thousands of different players. That's why they always say the first few picks go to the front office, and the later picks go to the scouts.

The most important months leading into the draft start in January through April. And you act like the College Director of Scouting and your Area Scouts then go on an 8-month vacation. Going through this four-month crunch period without being able to consult with the scouts who have been collecting information for you all this time puts you at a serious disadvantage. And no, I highly doubt that New England was sharing this information with Pioli after he left.

And you act like they hadn't been discussing this information prior, and Pioli was flying blind.

chiefzilla1501
01-04-2010, 12:27 AM
The only opinion I've formed is of the 2009 draft.

If the 2010 draft is a slamdunk, I'll admit it in a millisecond.

If it's a head scratcher, I'll have my doubts as to his personnel decisions for two years running.

Simple as that.

Then we're on the same page. The only difference is you're skeptical because of past decisions, and I'm willing to give the benefit of the doubt before I want to wait and see.

All this time we've been arguing around something we basically agree about, but just have a different mindset about.

TigerPig
01-04-2010, 12:29 AM
If Romeo is hired its pretty likely they'll hire some new position coaches too. Krumrie should be on his way out but he seems like to be like Haley.

HOW DOES KRUMRIE KEEP HIS JOB!?!

CaliforniaChief
01-04-2010, 12:29 AM
I'd be thrilled to see Clancy replaced by either Crennel or Todd Bowles.

chiefzilla1501
01-04-2010, 12:30 AM
And you act like they hadn't been discussing this information prior, and Pioli was flying blind.

He wasn't flying blind.

But trying to fly without your top personnel guys' input in the last four critical evaluation months of the draft? That's flying crippled.

The higher you move up in the organization, the less time they have to go over every single last college prospect. Pioli's position relies heavily on info fed to him from his scouts. Of course it's a big deal when he loses complete access to those info gatherers in January.

chiefzilla1501
01-04-2010, 12:31 AM

I don't know. But to me, it doesn't matter.

When it comes to teaching defensive linemen, particularly for a 3-4, Romeo's one of the best in the biz. If we want to spend money for Krumrie to play paddycake while Romeo's teaching these guys to be fundamentally rock solid linemen, I can think of worse fates.

DaneMcCloud
01-04-2010, 12:37 AM
I don't know. But to me, it doesn't matter.

When it comes to teaching defensive linemen, particularly for a 3-4, Romeo's one of the best in the biz.

Based on what, exactly?

Ty Warren, Vince Wilfork and Richard Seymour?

Top Ten picks?

How about making something out of nothing?

Coaches that coach Top Ten talent to play like Top Ten Talent don't get my respect.

That's expected.

Give me something more to go on.

TigerPig
01-04-2010, 12:38 AM
He wasn't flying blind.

But trying to fly without your top personnel guys' input in the last four critical evaluation months of the draft? That's flying crippled.

The higher you move up in the organization, the less time they have to go over every single last college prospect. Pioli's position relies heavily on info fed to him from his scouts. Of course it's a big deal when he loses complete access to those info gatherers in January.

This is true. I've heard from numerous shows and articles that the head coach of an NFL team is mostly the guy to keep everything running smoothly and handle all of the press. They say its a job that's harder than hell, but its a lot more about relationships with players and personnel than it is about Xs and Os.

TigerPig
01-04-2010, 12:38 AM
Based on what, exactly?

Top Ten picks?

Coaches that coach Top Ten talent to play like Top Ten Talent don't get my respect.

That's expected.

OOH!! SO LETS GET A DT WITH OUR PICK THIS YEAR!!! :) Then we'll have Dorsey, Jackson, and whoever! All top FIVE picks!

Titty Meat
01-04-2010, 12:40 AM

Krumrie and Haley seem to have the same personality it's easy to see how they get along.

DaneMcCloud
01-04-2010, 12:45 AM
I'd be thrilled to see Clancy replaced by either Crennel or Todd Bowles.

I'd like to see Pendergast replaced with a high caliber college DC but that isn't going to happen.

Personally, I'm sick of the old boy's network that's clearly existed in KC for years.

When was the last time the Chiefs had an early 30's coordinator?

1991?

Il Mento?

CaliforniaChief
01-04-2010, 12:47 AM
I'd like to see Pendergast replaced with a high caliber college DC but that isn't going to happen.

Personally, I'm sick of the old boy's network that's clearly existed in KC for years.

When was the last time the Chiefs had an early 30's coordinator?

1991?

Il Mento?

Mike Vrabel...player/DC FTW!

TigerPig
01-04-2010, 12:50 AM
Its okay. Belichick in an attempt to firmly plant himself as the best coach ever, is going to step down from New England and become HC for the Chiefs. He will do so in order to prove he can replicate the dynasty results of New England anywhere. :-)

Punch will be served.

DaneMcCloud
01-04-2010, 12:57 AM
I think having a guy like Romeo can only help Haley the same with Weis. I would like the Weis hire too I think he can improve Cassels play.

Do you think its fair to label this offseason as Piolis most important? If the Chiefs only win 4 games next year is it fair to say this regime isn't going to win anything?

Absolutely.

Cassel is in his prime. Bowe's in his prime. Albert, Dorsey, Flowers and Carr will be entering their third season.

This upcoming draft is crucial toward building a championship football team.

crazycoffey
01-04-2010, 01:09 AM
My info says yes.

I'm still waiting for "nuthooks" or April fools....

OnTheWarpath15
01-04-2010, 01:10 AM
I'm still waiting for "nuthooks" or April fools....

Hey!

I took the liberty of picking your Week 17 roster for you in FF - for the $25 Pick 'em payout.

I think you won.

Let me know what you want done with the money if so.

chiefzilla1501
01-04-2010, 01:11 AM
Based on what, exactly?

Top Ten picks?

That's expected.

Well, he's done it for 20+ years and most of that is for a 3-4. And he's one of the few that knows how to coach the line in the Bellichick style. New England, after all, is one of the rare 3-4's that has been successful running a pure two-gap defensive line scheme. Very different scheme--relies on huge 300+ lb. linemen. You can look at the players he's coached statistically, but the two-gap 3-4 is a little different because success isn't always shown in the statistics. From a D-line standpoint.

There's an argument that the defense is a bit outdated. I don't know. But we're going down that path regardless. And Crennel is a guy who has taught this very specific D-line style many times over. Is it the right path? I don't know. Is Crennel the right guy for the path? I think he might be.

DaneMcCloud
01-04-2010, 01:18 AM
Well, he's done it for 20+ years and most of that is for a 3-4. And he's one of the few that knows how to coach the line in the Bellichick style. New England, after all, is one of the rare 3-4's that has been successful running a pure two-gap defensive line scheme. Very different scheme--relies on huge 300+ lb. linemen. You can look at the players he's coached statistically, but the two-gap 3-4 is a little different because success isn't always shown in the statistics. From a D-line standpoint.

There's an argument that the defense is a bit outdated. I don't know. But we're going down that path regardless. And Crennel is a guy who has taught this very specific D-line style many times over. Is it the right path? I don't know. Is Crennel the right guy for the path? I think he might be.

More verbosity.

No where did you state this was possible without Top Ten picks.

It's like saying that Gunther Cunningham is a great defensive coordinator because once upon a time, Derrick Thomas played for him.

crazycoffey
01-04-2010, 01:19 AM
Hey!

I took the liberty of picking your Week 17 roster for you in FF - for the $25 Pick 'em payout.

I think you won.

Let me know what you want done with the money if so.

Oh man, I completely forgot about that! Thanks bro.

If I did win, I don't know - buy&send me some starbucks ground coffee, or real copenhagen long cut (the stuff they sell here says copenhagen - but I don't think it is....) or if you don't want to support my only vises in the world I can enjoy over here, you can go eat lunch at Muggs, say hi to JR, see'd dig seeing you again, then leave the 25 on top of what ever you tipped.

OnTheWarpath15
01-04-2010, 01:20 AM
Oh man, I completely forgot about that! Thanks bro.

If I did win, I don't know - buy&send me some starbucks ground coffee, or real copenhagen long cut (the stuff they sell here says copenhagen - but I don't think it is....) or if you don't want to support my only vises in the world I can enjoy over here, you can go eat lunch at Muggs, say hi to JR, see'd dig seeing you again, then leave the 25 on top of what ever you tipped.

You got it.

I should know for sure tomorrow.

chiefzilla1501
01-04-2010, 01:38 AM
More verbosity.

No where did you state this was possible without Top Ten picks.

It's like saying that Gunther Cunningham is a great defensive coordinator because once upon a time, Derrick Thomas played for him.

Well, he's coached 3-4 for 15 years, 6 years purely as a defensive line assistant. He did so with the Patriots from 1993-1996. With the Jets from 1997-1999. With the Browns in 2000. Pats 2001-2004. Browns 2005-2008. I don't know what defense he coached in college, but overall he has 20+ years of d-line coaching experience. So the experience is there. With the Jets, they had a top 10 points defense most of the years he was there with low-round draft picks. And that was a situation where he was involved with a 4-3 to 3-4 shift.

There's no doubting the man has a huge resume of experience with D-line. And with the Jets and Patriots, the D-line was pretty solid, even if statistically unspectacular. And yes, he teaches the very specific 2-gap principle Pioli's trying to install. Maybe you don't believe he's the best in the biz at D-line, but in terms of the best for what Pioli wants to do, you can see the point.

(yes, playcalling is a whole different story).

DaneMcCloud
01-04-2010, 01:43 AM
Well, he's coached 3-4 for 15 years, 6 years purely as a defensive line assistant. He did so with the Patriots from 1993-1996. With the Jets from 1997-1999. With the Browns in 2000. Pats 2001-2004. Browns 2005-2008. I don't know what defense he coached in college, but overall he has 20+ years of d-line coaching experience. So the experience is there. With the Jets, they had a top 10 points defense most of the years he was there with low-round draft picks. And that was a situation where he was involved with a 4-3 to 3-4 shift.

There's no doubting the man has a huge resume of experience with D-line. And with the Jets and Patriots, the D-line was pretty solid, even if statistically unspectacular. And yes, he teaches the very specific 2-gap principle Pioli's trying to install. Maybe you don't believe he's the best in the biz at D-line, but in terms of the best for what Pioli wants to do, you can see the point.

(yes, playcalling is a whole different story).

The only point I see is that he previously worked with Pioli.

The rest is unimportant.

chiefzilla1501
01-04-2010, 01:52 AM
The only point I see is that he previously worked with Pioli.

The rest is unimportant.

Well, regardless, he coached 3-4 linemen with both the Jets and Pats, and they both were pretty solid up front. So maybe you may not agree that he's the best for this 2-gap defense, but you have to admit that he seems to know what he's doing.

The other important point is that in both New York and New England, he was there for a 4-3 to 3-4 transition. So he also has experience helping players make the switch, which is something that will be really helpful for our young linemen.

I can't vouch for the 2-gap defense. Or that it's the right scheme. Frankly, I think the Pats' defense has been solid but unspectacular for several years. But Romeo's got a lot of experience with this specific system and there's not a lot of coaches out there who really know this defense. At least from a d-line standpoint, Romeo's about as experienced an assistant as you'll find.

Great Expectations
01-05-2010, 04:33 PM
Adam Schefter hasn't been very accurate lately.

Stoops to ND!!!!!!!!!!!Two

RedThat
01-05-2010, 04:37 PM
If BRC says it. I believe it.

The dude is nails. A lot of what he says is true. Compliments to you my man.

Deberg_1990
01-05-2010, 04:45 PM

Dane, you know as well as i, that the good ole boy network exists everywhere in the NFL. Not just the Chiefs.

We replaced the Marty tree with the Parcells tree....

BigRedChief
01-05-2010, 04:52 PM

The dude is nails. A lot of what he says is true. Compliments to you my man.Clarification. I said Weiss and Crennel are being offered the jobs, not that its a done deal.

TigerPig
01-05-2010, 04:56 PM
At this point I don't care if Crennel is good or not. He's different.

I think there's a cancer to this team in that they expect to lose sometimes. I think changing the coaching staff helps that significantly. I would not be opposed at all to a total house cleaning, if for anything just to change the attitude and atmosphere in the locker room. Keep the people brought in last year, and replace the old Edwards regime with some fresh blood and renewed vigor.

chiefzilla1501
01-05-2010, 04:56 PM
Clarification. I said Weiss and Crennel are being offered the jobs, not that its a done deal.

I'd be shocked if Crennel said no, if that's the case. Weis, I believe, is being heavily pursued by Buffalo. I would be a lot more upset about losing Crennel than losing Weis.

Mr. Laz
01-05-2010, 05:06 PM
I'd be shocked if Crennel said no, if that's the case. Weis, I believe, is being heavily pursued by Buffalo. I would be a lot more upset about losing Crennel than losing Weis.
crennel and weis are less likely to say no if there are other potiential job offers available.

Washington
Buffalo

the longer we go without more openings the more likely crennel and weis end up in KC.

TigerPig
01-05-2010, 05:17 PM
crennel and weis are less likely to say no if there are other potiential job offers available.

Washington
Buffalo

the longer we go without more openings the more likely crennel and weis end up in KC.

Why would ANYONE want to go to Buffalo? Washington I can see, but Buffalo? Besides, I think knowing you like the front office at a potential job helps. Kinda like working for your old boss you thought was cool. You don't have to worry about it.

Mr. Laz
01-05-2010, 05:25 PM
Why would ANYONE want to go to Buffalo?
Why would anyone want to go to KC?

money

Jethopper
01-05-2010, 05:27 PM

money

Laughable to compare shitty Buffalo/Detroit/Cleveland with average KC.

KC Dan
01-05-2010, 05:30 PM

The dude is nails. A lot of what he says is true. Compliments to you my man.in this forum.....hehehehehe

FAX
01-05-2010, 05:31 PM
You know, this does raise a very interesting point ... interesting to me, at least. Of course, I'm interested in whether or not it's possible to shoot the neighbor's cat clean over their house with a potato cannon.

Nevertheless, in this case, it will be interesting to see if guys like Crennel and Weis are attracted to KC (at least, in part) because Pioli is running the show. If so, it means that Pioli has a positive reputation in the league and, as a result, provides an additional benefit to the Chiefs by attracting high quality staff coaches. Something to watch for, I think. I mean, if a guy would rather work for Snyder than Pioli, that would speak volumes.

FAX

TigerPig
01-05-2010, 05:33 PM

money

I've heard sources on TV and radio say KC is a solid organization which has good ownership and management. They usually treat their front office well, and other than the last few years puts up a fairly good fight and tries to be a winning organization. I don't feel the same way about Buffalo, though others might disagree. I think Washington tries too hard to be great and goes about it the wrong way. Plus, you see how often coaches get the axe there, who wants to work in that sort of unstable environment? Being an coordinator or coach for the Redskins is almost like being a Coach for the Raiders in terms of how long your tenure is.

Plus, the weather SUCKS in Buffalo. No one would want to live there due to lake effect alone. :)

ncCHIEFfan
01-05-2010, 05:36 PM
Good point Mr. Fax...also when the FA crap gets straight, like to see what players want to come to KC

Brock
01-05-2010, 05:39 PM
Buffalo is a shithole. It's amazing they still have an NFL franchise.

BigMeatballDave
01-05-2010, 05:41 PM
Dane, you know as well as i, that the good ole boy network exists everywhere in the NFL. Not just the Chiefs.

We replaced the Marty tree with the Parcells tree....This. Its league-wide and has been for yrs.

CrazyHorse
01-05-2010, 06:09 PM
You know, this does raise a very interesting point ... interesting to me, at least. Of course, I'm interested in whether or not it's possible to shoot the neighbor's cat clean over their house with a potato cannon.

Nevertheless, in this case, it will be interesting to see if guys like Crennel and Weis are attracted to KC (at least, in part) because Pioli is running the show. If so, it means that Pioli has a positive reputation in the league and, as a result, provides an additional benefit to the Chiefs by attracting high quality staff coaches. Something to watch for, I think. I mean, if a guy would rather work for Snyder than Pioli, that would speak volumes.

FAX

I remember when hiring Vermiel, it was instant credibility throughout the league. Thusly we were able to build whatever team he wanted. Crennel may be able to add some credibility for defensive recruitment. Most of us know Pioli has credibility throughout the leagues administrators. We need credible coaches to garner the same credibility with FAs. IMO

TigerPig
01-05-2010, 06:12 PM
This. Its league-wide and has been for yrs.

I saw a thing where almost all of the NFLs coaches can be traced from the Parcells, Schottenheimer or Walsh tree.

Micjones
01-05-2010, 06:12 PM

FAX

There are other factors to consider.

If one of the candidates fills the occupancy with a more stable organization I'm not sure that would be an indictment on Pioli.

TigerPig
01-05-2010, 06:29 PM
I'll say it again, the team just needs fresh blood. New coordinators, new position coaches. Keep going with what we started last year. Make winning a habit in KC, instead of having a coaching staff that is used to losing. I'm much more interested with what we can do with the OC position.

We turned a corner this year. A lot of people think we underperformed but we won TWICE as many games as last year. And some may say that isn't good enough, but I have a news flash: Its going to take YEARS, probably 5-10 at best before we become a high-caliber team.

Titty Meat
01-05-2010, 06:33 PM
Mr.Fax will you please sign Romeo?

Kyle DeLexus
01-05-2010, 06:34 PM
I'll say it again, the team just needs fresh blood. New coordinators, new position coaches. Keep going with what we started last year. Make winning a habit in KC, instead of having a coaching staff that is used to losing. I'm much more interested with what we can do with the OC position.

We turned a corner this year. A lot of people think we underperformed but we won TWICE as many games as last year. And some may say that isn't good enough, but I have a news flash: Its going to take YEARS, probably 5-10 at best before we become a high-caliber team.

Wow! In todays NFL there's no reason a proper rebuild should take that long. 3-5 should be all it takes if it's done correctly.

Micjones
01-05-2010, 06:34 PM
I'm much more interested with what we can do with the OC position.

Me too. I think there are other options out there if we can't snag Crennel.
There aren't as many promising OC candidates floating around.

ModSocks
01-05-2010, 06:40 PM
Me too. I think there are other options out there if we can't snag Crennel.
There aren't as many promising OC candidates floating around.

I seriously doubt we hire an OC.

A QB coach, however, is what interests me.

TigerPig
01-05-2010, 06:41 PM
Wow! In todays NFL there's no reason a proper rebuild should take that long. 3-5 should be all it takes if it's done correctly.

Okay. But don't be surprised if it takes longer. It took us 15 years or so before we started being competitive starting in the mid 70s. And other teams still aren't there after years.

SDChiefs
01-05-2010, 06:44 PM
Okay. But don't be surprised if it takes longer. It took us 15 years or so before we started being competitive starting in the mid 70s. And other teams still aren't there after years.

Thats because we did it horribly wrong. Hence the reason we haven't won a championship in 40 years. Having the Executive of the Decade, there is no reason when shouldn't have a SB in 5 years.

FAX
01-05-2010, 06:45 PM
Mr.Fax will you please sign Romeo?

Okay.

But I don't know where he art, though.

FAX

Mr. Flopnuts

We NEED to hire an OC. I like Todd, I'm hopeful he'll do good things in the next year, but he needs someone else to shoulder that one.

Mr. Flopnuts
Okay.

But I don't know where he art, though.

FAX

ROFL Nice!

TigerPig
01-05-2010, 06:56 PM
Thats because we did it horribly wrong. Hence the reason we haven't won a championship in 40 years. Having the Executive of the Decade, there is no reason when shouldn't have a SB in 5 years.

I really, really hope so. But that's the absolute most optimistic outcome IMO. Most of those turnarounds you're talking about involve a player falling into a team's lap (Brady, Warner for the Rams, Brees to an extent), or getting one great draft pick that changes the entire complexion of your team (Manning).

Hog's Gone Fishin
01-05-2010, 07:48 PM
I really, really hope so. But that's the absolute most optimistic outcome IMO. Most of those turnarounds you're talking about involve a player falling into a team's lap (Brady, Warner for the Rams, Brees to an extent), or getting one great draft pick that changes the entire complexion of your team (Manning).

Thus saying , we really need a QB!

TigerPig
01-05-2010, 07:50 PM
Thus saying , we really need a QB!

Its okay, we have Gutierrez. He'll step up like Brady and Warner.

Sully
01-05-2010, 08:03 PM

Considering he was, for all intents and purposes, signed before free agency began, I don't buy this for a second.

chiefzilla1501
01-05-2010, 08:05 PM

Zorn. He's a good one. Sucks as a head coach. Good not great playcaller. But very good QBs coach.

Can't remember where I saw it, but it sounded like later in the season, both Pioli and Haley basically said there's a good chance we'd hire an OC.

Jawshco
01-05-2010, 08:11 PM
Zorn. He's a good one. Sucks as a head coach. Good not great playcaller. But very good QBs coach.

Can't remember where I saw it, but it sounded like later in the season, both Pioli and Haley basically said there's a good chance we'd hire an OC.

That's a great idea. I think that what ever OC we bring in may not be as important because they'll be doing what Haley tells them to do.

Meanwhile, no one has mentioned our real QB coach
of the future, Trent Green? I'm shocked. (que internal sarcastic laughter))...