PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Chiefs buzz | KC gets fifth pick in the draft

Tribal Warfare
01-04-2010, 04:58 AM
Chiefs buzz | KC gets fifth pick in the draft (http://www.kansascity.com/160/story/1662629.html?storylink=omni_popular[/URL)

Chiefs will pick fifth in draft
Sunday’s win dropped the Chiefs two spots in this year’s NFL draft. The Chiefs would have picked third but instead will choose fifth after finishing 4-12.
St. Louis, at 1-15, will have the top pick, followed by Detroit, 2-14, and Tampa Bay, 3-13.
Washington also finished 4-12 but will pick ahead of the Chiefs because its opponents had a weaker collective winning percentage (49.2) than the Chiefs (51.6).

2010 schedule set
The Chiefs’ schedule eases in 2010 in large part because they trade opponents from the NFC East for those from the NFC West.
At Arrowhead Stadium, the Chiefs will play Arizona, San Francisco, Jacksonville, Tennessee and Buffalo along with Denver, Oakland and San Diego. On the road, they will face Seattle, St. Louis, Indianapolis, Houston and Cleveland — plus their three rivals from the AFC West.

Succop finishes strong
Kicker Ryan Succop made all three of his field-goal attempts and finished the season with 25 field goals in 29 tries. That percentage of 86.2 ties for fourth all time among NFL rookies.

<table class="story-table" border="0"> <tbody><tr class="story-table-even-row"><td>Player</td><td>Year</td><td>M-A</td><td>Pct.</td></tr> <tr class="story-table-odd-row"><td>Richie Cunningham, Dallas</td><td>1997</td><td>34-37</td><td>.919</td></tr> <tr class="story-table-even-row"><td>Roger Ruzek, Dallas</td><td>1987</td><td>22-25</td><td>.880</td></tr> <tr class="story-table-odd-row"><td>Mike Vanderjagt, Ind</td><td>1998</td><td>27-31</td><td>.871</td></tr> <tr class="story-table-even-row"><td>Ryan Succop, Kansas City</td><td>2009</td><td>25-29</td><td>.862</td></tr> <tr class="story-table-odd-row"><td>Kris Brown, Pittsburgh</td><td>1999</td><td>25-29</td><td>.862</td></tr> </tbody></table>
Offensive line wins praise

Kansas City’s often-criticized offensive line got its share of respect Sunday when it helped running back Jamaal Charles rush for a team-record 259 yards. The line also protected quarterback Matt Cassel, allowing zero sacks. It was perhaps this season’s best game for a unit that has been disparaged as one of the league’s most porous lines throughout 2009.
“We do have a chip on our shoulder,” left tackle Branden Albert said. “We’re trying to show the world that we had a rough beginning. Everybody had a rough beginning. I think we improved a lot toward the end of the season. We’ve just got to keep getting better.”
The Chiefs tweaked their offense in the second half of the season to ease the pressure on the line. Plays were installed that required Cassel to release the ball quickly, and it didn’t hurt that Charles emerged as the team’s most reliable weapon.

Haley’s trick play fails
Coach Todd Haley took one of his trademark gambles Sunday, and as has been the case more often than not, the Chiefs got burned.
After a touchdown on Kansas City’s first possession, the team again was moving the ball effectively on its third series. Charles had just broken a 52-yard run, and the Chiefs were in Denver territory.
Then Haley called for a double pass — Cassel throwing a lateral to fullback Tim Castille, who was to throw deep to Cassel. Instead, Castille hesitated before throwing into triple coverage, and it was intercepted by Andre Goodman. That temporarily interrupted the Chiefs’ momentum, and Haley said afterward that it was a mistake.
“I was thinking ‘attack,’ ” Haley said. “We weren’t going to leave anything in the bag this week. It’s a play we practiced for four or five weeks out of our no-huddle. We thought it had a chance. After the fact, it was a horrible call.”

Chiefs finally strike first
Kansas City scored on its opening offensive series for the first time this season. Cassel completed three passes before fullback Mike Cox scored on a 1-yard run.
The Chiefs hadn’t scored on their first possession since a loss to Miami in December 2008.
“That was huge,” Cassel said. “We’ve been waiting for that for a long time. To get it going in that fashion, I think it set the tone for the rest of the day.”

Lloyd gets his catches
The Broncos were forced to use wide receiver Brandon Lloyd, the former Blue Springs High School star, because they were without usual starters Brandon Marshall and Eddie Royal.
Lloyd played sparingly this season and wasn’t the most efficient of Denver’s receivers Sunday. He caught just four of the 13 passes quarterback Kyle "Pro Bowl" Orton sent his way. But Lloyd’s four receptions went for a total of 95 yards, including a 44-yarder to the Kansas City 5 that set up a touchdown in the third quarter.

Inactive players
The Chiefs’ list of inactive players contained no surprises. They played without wide receiver Lance Long, tight end Sean Ryan, offensive linemen Andy Alleman and Darryl Harris, defensive lineman Dion Gales, linebacker Pierre Walters and safety Reshard Langford. Matt Gutierrez was the third quarterback.
Denver was without three of its top four receivers in Marshall, Royal and tight end Tony Scheffler.

This and that
•Safety Mike Brown, cornerback Brandon Carr, outside linebacker Tamba Hali and center Rudy Niswanger started each of Kansas City’s games in the 2009 season. Free safety Jon McGraw played in his 100th career game Sunday.
•Defensive end Glenn Dorsey recorded his first sack of the season, and Hali established a career high with 8 1/2 sacks.

<div_prefs id="div_prefs"></div_prefs><div_prefs id="div_prefs"></div_prefs><div_prefs id="div_prefs"></div_prefs><div_prefs id="div_prefs"></div_prefs><div_prefs id="div_prefs"></div_prefs><div_prefs id="div_prefs"></div_prefs>

ChiefGator
01-04-2010, 06:04 AM
I, for one, am glad to see us drop to #5 in the draft. More possibilities and much less payout to one player. This just may even up a trade down scenario.

I'm a little pissed that the Falcons went on their tear at the end of the year though...

tyton75
01-04-2010, 07:05 AM
I'm glad we are at 5 as well.. plus it was nice to kill Denver's playoff hopes

morphius
01-04-2010, 07:15 AM
I'll just hope Berry is a bust for whomever picks him before us and enjoy slapping down the donks.

BigRedChief
01-04-2010, 07:41 AM
I really enjoyed the game on Sunday. Knocking the Donks out of the playoffs in their house in an embrassing fashion. Much better than picking 3rd instead of 5th.

Anyways, what would you have done? Laid down for the game to keep the 3rd pick?

scho63
01-04-2010, 07:47 AM
I enjoyed that win as much as any over the last 3-4 years. It made me feel good to be a Chiefs fan again after so much grief and I don't mind dropping two spots in the draft.

As far as the draft goes, my main concern is getting a great impact player who helps us from day one. If Berry is not available, then we should take one of the OT's, possibly Anthony Davis of Rutgers

The Bad Guy
01-04-2010, 08:11 AM
What's ironic is that Steve Hoffman worked with 2 of the 5 kickers on that list. We are pretty lucky to have such a great special teams coach.

CHIEFS58
01-04-2010, 08:21 AM
What's ironic is that Steve Hoffman worked with 2 of the 5 kickers on that list. We are pretty lucky to have such a great special teams coach.

I agree. Hoffman has worked out very well so far.

Fat Elvis
01-04-2010, 08:35 AM
I'll just hope Berry is a bust for whomever picks him before us and enjoy slapping down the donks.

While I greatly enjoyed the victory, the Chiefs are just about the only team in the NFL that can manage to lose even when they win.

eazyb81
01-04-2010, 08:53 AM
Win-Win yesterday: we knock the Broncos out of the playoffs and we will still get Eric Berry.

I don't see Tampa or Washington taking Berry ahead of us - the main team we had to stay ahead of was Cleveland.

WhitiE
01-04-2010, 08:54 AM
Win-Win yesterday: we knock the Broncos out of the playoffs and we will still get Eric Berry.

I don't see Tampa or Washington taking Berry ahead of us - the main team we had to stay ahead of was Cleveland.

i dunno man. the Washington fans are really wanting berry.....

TinyEvel
01-04-2010, 08:56 AM
Succop didn't beat Richie Cunningham? SIT ON IT Succop!
Eyyyyyyyy....

Mr_Tomahawk
01-04-2010, 08:56 AM

Fans draft the players....?

...because I didn't hear shit about Tyson Jackson on here last year.

Mr. Laz
01-04-2010, 09:01 AM
too bad Washington didn't upset New Orlean ... then we would be sitting at #4 and had Berry fall right into our laps.

DumbHillbillies
01-04-2010, 12:16 PM

When do the fans ever decide the draft choice.

The Bad Guy
01-04-2010, 12:21 PM
I'll 100% guarantee that the Redskins do not take Eric Berry. They are going offensive line no question about it. Their line is in worst shape than ours.

Shanahan has built lines everywhere he's gone. In an uncapped year, he won't have the ability to just go out and grab guys.

Redskins spent the 6th pick on Laron Landry. They aren't paying another huge deal to a safety. No how, no way.

tyler360
01-04-2010, 12:22 PM
I enjoyed that win as much as any over the last 3-4 years. It made me feel good to be a Chiefs fan again after so much grief and I don't mind dropping two spots in the draft.

As far as the draft goes, my main concern is getting a great impact player who helps us from day one. If Berry is not available, then we should take one of the OT's, possibly Anthony Davis of Rutgers

Cuz we have just had so many of those lol.

OnTheWarpath15
01-04-2010, 12:25 PM
That temporarily interrupted the Chiefs’ momentum, and Haley said afterward that it was a mistake.
“I was thinking ‘attack,’ ” Haley said. “We weren’t going to leave anything in the bag this week. It’s a play we practiced for four or five weeks out of our no-huddle. We thought it had a chance. After the fact, it was a horrible call.”

Kudos to Haley for admitting the Castille pass was a stupid call.

Now, take that play out of the playbook, forget it ever existed and learn from the mistake.

tyler360
01-04-2010, 12:27 PM
Kudos to Haley for admitting the Castille pass was a stupid call.

Now, take that play out of the playbook, forget it ever existed and learn from the mistake.

That is one thing I really admire about Hailey is he seems to take accountability for his horrible ass calls. I just hope he actually learns from it. That is what bugged me most about Herm. Nothing was ever his fault.

Pitt Gorilla
01-04-2010, 12:31 PM
Succop didn't beat Richie Cunningham? SIT ON IT Succop!
Eyyyyyyyy....Dammit. Beat me to it.

You've still got it, TinyE.

Sure-Oz
01-04-2010, 12:34 PM
Does Berry go to TB? I really want that guy in a chiefs uni

The Franchise
01-04-2010, 12:37 PM
St. Louis - Jimmy Clausen, QB
Detroit - Ndamukong Suh, DT
Tampa Bay - Gerald McCoy, DT
Washington - Russell Okung, OT
Kansas City - Eric Berry, S

:grovel:

Rigodan
01-04-2010, 12:47 PM
I'll 100% guarantee that the Redskins do not take Eric Berry. They are going offensive line no question about it. Their line is in worst shape than ours.

Shanahan has built lines everywhere he's gone. In an uncapped year, he won't have the ability to just go out and grab guys.

Redskins spent the 6th pick on Laron Landry. They aren't paying another huge deal to a safety. No how, no way.

They drafted Landry 6th when they had taken Sean taylor 5th just 3 years earlier so...

TigerPig
01-04-2010, 12:56 PM

This is why he could make guys off the street rush for 1000 yards. It all starts in the trenches.

And I say we use zone blocking. F*ck the rest of the league.

DrRyan
01-04-2010, 12:56 PM

I'd love to see it shake out like this. I think Washington is the wild card. No telling what Daniel Snyder will do when on the clock.

ChiTown
01-04-2010, 12:58 PM

Dear God, please make this happen.

The Franchise
01-04-2010, 01:00 PM
I'd love to see it shake out like this. I think Washington is the wild card. No telling what Daniel Snyder will do when on the clock.

The actual wildcard may be St. Louis. If they take Clausen then I think that Detroit and Tampa Bay go with the DTs. If the Rams go with Suh....then who knows what happens because Detroit and TB don't need a QB. I can see Tampa Bay taking Berry as well. They're safeties really aren't that great either.

DrRyan
01-04-2010, 01:15 PM
The actual wildcard may be St. Louis. If they take Clausen then I think that Detroit and Tampa Bay go with the DTs. If the Rams go with Suh....then who knows what happens because Detroit and TB don't need a QB. I can see Tampa Bay taking Berry as well. They're safeties really aren't that great either.

If St. Louis does not go QB Daniel Snyder would almost assuredly go QB and take QB. At least you would think so from his history in Washington. I just can't see him taking an O lineman there.

If STL does go with Suh, maybe the Lions reach and grab Okung to protect Stafford's blind side? I am not big on Okung, but I don't think it is unreasonable they could go OT. If they had taken Oher last year over Pettigrew last year they would be in a better spot now.

BigRedChief
01-04-2010, 01:20 PM
Dear God, please make this happen.Berry falling to #5 is not unrealistic.

ChiTown
01-04-2010, 01:21 PM
Berry falling to #5 is not unrealistic.

But the Chiefs passing on him is very realistic.

baitism
01-04-2010, 01:39 PM
I can't wait to see the Raiders pick again, but we will have to wait until the combine to find out (fastest 40!).

eazyb81
01-04-2010, 01:47 PM

Taking Suh #1 might sound great in theory, but this is real life and Spags just finished his first season with 1 win. He needs to go out and get his QBOTF now to show the powers that be he is on the right track, and most importantly to buy him some extra time. People have more patience if you have are struggling with a young QB that has all the tools.

Agree with you also on TB - to me they are the biggest wildcard. Washington is going OT or QB, no question.

jAZ
01-04-2010, 01:56 PM
It’s a play we practiced for four or five weeks out of our no-huddle. We thought it had a chance. After the fact, it was a horrible call.”

I have a lot of patience with Todd Haley, but if those practices were going against our own defense, it's an inexcusable mistake to think that success there might suggest "it had a chance" in real life.

DJ's left nut
01-04-2010, 02:22 PM

And I'm actually more concerned that TB would jump up and grab him.

My main hope is that Detroit goes after McCoy to anchor a young defense, TB will go after Okung to protect Freeman and Washington takes a QB (which makes a lot of sense to me; Campbell is Kyle Orton on his best days, Matt Cassel on his worst).

I enjoyed the win, but talk to me after we draft Anthony Davis 10-15 slots too early instead of Berry and I'll be singing a far different tune.

DeezNutz
01-04-2010, 02:24 PM
Berry falling to #5 is not unrealistic.

Yes, and yes.

Rasputin
01-04-2010, 02:57 PM
[QUOTE=Tribal Warfare;6407403]Chiefs buzz | KC gets fifth pick in the draft (http://www.kansascity.com/160/story/1662629.html?storylink=omni_popular[/URL)

Chiefs finally strike first[/B]
Kansas City scored on its opening offensive series for the first time this season. Cassel completed three passes before fullback Mike Cox scored on a 1-yard run.
The Chiefs hadn’t scored on their first possession since a loss to Miami in December 2008.
“That was huge,” Cassel said. “We’ve been waiting for that for a long time. To get it going in that fashion, I think it set the tone for the rest of the day.”
[B]

That's what I'm talking about, and that statement makes me very happy. Cassel looked good on that drive and he stuck it to the Broncows. I waited all season for a first quarter strike from our offense they got it done WOOT.

Thig Lyfe
01-04-2010, 03:06 PM
If Berry doesn't fall to us, I say trade down and take Mays where the value's better. The fifth pick should be fairly easy to trade out of, right? Easier than the third pick, anyway. Maybe Jacksonville will be panicked enough about Tebow to trade up...

Micjones
01-04-2010, 03:08 PM
If Berry doesn't fall to us, I say trade down and take Mays where the value's better. The fifth pick should be fairly easy to trade out of, right? Easier than the third pick, anyway. Maybe Jacksonville will be panicked enough about Tebow to trade up...

Trading down to 7th would probably get the job done.
We could draft Mays there and it would probably net us a mid-round #2.
I think the possibility of trading down is slim though at 5.
The best trade up scenarios will be with the first 3 picks.

OnTheWarpath15
01-04-2010, 03:12 PM
Trading down to 7th would probably get the job done.
We could draft Mays there and it would probably net us a mid-round #2.
I think the possibility of trading down is slim though at 5.
The best trade up scenarios will be with the first 3 picks.

Who's going to be worth trading up for?

And with a rookie slotting system on the horizon, who's going to want to take on that big of a contact when they don't have to?

I'm just not seeing trading out of that spot an option.

KCDC
01-04-2010, 03:14 PM

This. As a guy that lives in DC, I'd be surprised with a choice other than OL or QB at #4.

We should be able to get Berry at #5.

DumbHillbillies
01-04-2010, 03:14 PM

I pray it shakes out like this too. But, I don't see Stl passing on a sure DT prospect like Suh and that is where the drama will ensue. I see them grabbing their QB in the second.

Micjones
01-04-2010, 03:15 PM
Who's going to be worth trading up for?

And with a rookie slotting system on the horizon, who's going to want to take on that big of a contact when they don't have to?

I'm just not seeing trading out of that spot an option.

Did you read my post? At all?

doomy3
01-04-2010, 03:19 PM
Since it looks like Shannahan will be in in Washington, I wouldn't be surprised at all to see them draft Bradford if Clausen is off the board.

DumbHillbillies
01-04-2010, 03:19 PM

This

OnTheWarpath15
01-04-2010, 03:20 PM
Did you read my post? At all?

Yeah, I did.

You think options of trading are slim. I think they are non-exisitent.

And for some reason, you think the options are better to trade out of 1-3.

If anything, that's even worse.

Micjones
01-04-2010, 03:22 PM
Yeah, I did.

You think options of trading are slim. I think they are non-exisitent.

Another year at the hair-splitting convention I take it?

And for some reason, you think the options are better to trade out of 1-3.

If anything, that's even worse.

I disagree. Suh's a once in a decade type prospect.
I can see a team trading up for him. If they have the firepower necessary to do so.

TigerPig
01-04-2010, 03:24 PM

I can see a team trading up for him. If they have the firepower necessarily to do so.

No one will trade up cause you'd have to be HIGH to get rid of that sweet-ass pick which will get him.

That guy is almost incentive to throw every game in the season to try and get. :-)

I saw his interception against Gabbert. That was insane. That was like DJ's second pick last night, except he's a DEFENSIVE TACKLE!

DumbHillbillies
01-04-2010, 03:25 PM
Yeah, its hard to get a team to trade into the top 3, too much to give up and on top of that you have to pay the pick too much.

Mr. Laz
01-04-2010, 03:28 PM
a safety falling to 5 is more likely than unlikely

given the numbers of Berry this season i can see him dropping a bit.

generally you don't use a top 5 pick on a safety that doesn't create turnovers and for whatever reason Berry didn't create many turnovers this year.

Micjones
01-04-2010, 03:28 PM
Yeah, its hard to get a team to trade into the top 3, too much to give up and on top of that you have to pay the pick too much.

And I'm not suggesting this is in anyway common. It's not.
But this isn't the normal collegiate DT either.
He's been called the best DT prospect in 20 years.

The Franchise
01-04-2010, 03:32 PM
a safety falling to 5 is more likely than unlikely

given the numbers of Berry this season i can see him dropping a bit.

generally you don't use a top 5 pick on a safety that doesn't create turnovers and for whatever reason Berry didn't create many turnovers this year.

Dude has 14 INTs in his career. I'll have to find you the article where Kiffin states that he used Berry primarily as a run stuffing safety this year because he wanted to improve stopping the run.

BigCatDaddy
01-04-2010, 03:42 PM
Dude has 14 INTs in his career. I'll have to find you the article where Kiffin states that he used Berry primarily as a run stuffing safety this year because he wanted to improve stopping the run.

Maybe, but the last Safety taken this high was Taylor and he was an athletic freak of nature the Berry is not. He was actually Taylor Mays with better football skills.

The Franchise
01-04-2010, 03:45 PM
Maybe, but the last Safety taken this high was Taylor and he was an athletic freak of nature the Berry is not.

:spock:

Mecca
01-04-2010, 03:45 PM
Eric Berry is the new QB, he's now being trashed by the general crew that trashes the top QB's.

doomy3
01-04-2010, 03:47 PM
Eric Berry is the new QB, he's now being trashed by the general crew that trashes the top QB's.

Who's "trashing" Berry?

OnTheWarpath15

I can see a team trading up for him. If they have the firepower necessary to do so.

I'm not sure which is more hilarious.

The thought of a team trading into the 1st slot to get Suh, or the Rams being willing to trade down if they want him.

With nothing but 4-3 teams at the top of the draft, Suh is going no later than #2 overall.

Which means, if you want him you have to trade with the Rams, and that's assuming THEY don't want him.

TigerPig

None of these players are good enough for the fifth pick in the draft. The top two are, and after that they all suck. We should just not pick instead and give the pick to the people after us.

Brock
01-04-2010, 03:48 PM
Who's "trashing" Berry?

It's "this fanbase" again.

The Franchise
01-04-2010, 03:48 PM
None of these players are good enough for the fifth pick in the draft. The top two are, and after that they all suck. We should just not pick instead and give the pick to the people after us.

:doh!:

Are you fucking serious? And who would the top two players be in this draft?

doomy3
01-04-2010, 03:49 PM
It's "this fanbase" again.

Yeah, no shit. The "general crew."

Mecca
01-04-2010, 03:49 PM
If you don't think saying "he's not a premier athlete" or look at his "numbers" isn't a way to trash him, then I don't know what is.

And that one guy who posts hates Berry which is just absurd.

Mecca
01-04-2010, 03:50 PM

This is the bullshit that gets said every year, no one is worth it to some of you guys till 3 years later. When you know what they are, geez man you guys look at the draft like it's the scariest thing imaginable, do you shit yourself?

Brock
01-04-2010, 03:51 PM
If you don't think saying "he's not a premier athlete" or look at his "numbers" isn't a way to trash him, then I don't know what is.

There's like two fucking people saying this, and I've never heard of either one of them before a couple days ago. Quit generalizing, it makes you look stupid.

TheGuardian
01-04-2010, 03:52 PM
When I look at the draft Berry looks like our only option in the top 5 personally. Okung would be a RT for us. Draft a RT top 5? I would seriously think about jumping ship at that point.

Mecca
01-04-2010, 03:52 PM
Not to mention the ridiculous OL debate in the other thread.

TigerPig
01-04-2010, 03:54 PM
When I look at the draft Berry looks like our only option in the top 5 personally. Okung would be a RT for us. Draft a RT top 5? I would seriously think about jumping ship at that point.

I wouldn't. Sorry, but I wouldn't. If he could be an amazing RT, then he'd be worth it, especially if he has the best chances of becoming an all-star.

I don't want a go-for-broke player. I want the most solid, conservative pick we can make. If this were a team with only one or two spots that needed to be filled we could gamble. But we can't. We need solid players who can get the job done.

doomy3

You're being an idiot.

Laz said he could see Berry slip a little bit since he didn't put up his usual huge stats this year. That was right after his earlier post in this thread that said he hopes Berry falls to us.

Bigcatdaddy said Berry isn't the physical specimen that Sean Taylor is, but that Mays is. Are you disagreeing with this? I haven't seen one person trash Berry.

But, keep wondering why people constantly "pick fights" with you, with your stupid fucking generalizations.

TheGuardian
Not to mention the ridiculous OL debate in the other thread.

OL is a problem at center IMO. We can grab a guard, even the best guard in this draft, with our 2nd round pick. Done fixed.

I hear some people wanting a tight end. this makes no sense to me either. Cottam should be fine I think. It'll be his third season. I expect him to break out actually.

TigerPig
01-04-2010, 03:55 PM
This is the bullshit that gets said every year, no one is worth it to some of you guys till 3 years later. When you know what they are, geez man you guys look at the draft like it's the scariest thing imaginable, do you shit yourself?

This was sarcasm FTR.

Mecca
01-04-2010, 03:55 PM
I wouldn't. Sorry, but I wouldn't. If he could be an amazing RT, then he'd be worth it, especially if he has the best chances of becoming an all-star.

I don't want a go-for-broke player. I want the most solid, conservative pick we can make. If this were a team with only one or two spots that needed to be filled we could gamble. But we can't. We need solid players who can get the job done.

:facepalm:

You want to build a team with no playmakers, good luck with that.

Mecca
01-04-2010, 03:56 PM
OL is a problem at center IMO. We can grab a guard, even the best guard in this draft, with our 2nd round pick. Done fixed.

I hear some people wanting a tight end. this makes no sense to me either. Cottam should be fine I think. It'll be his third season. I expect him to break out actually.

What's funny is we actually agree on stuff like this.

TE will be overvalued by some people forever because of Gonzalez.

The Franchise
01-04-2010, 03:56 PM

Holy Christ. STFU

TheGuardian
01-04-2010, 03:57 PM

This team needs game changers.

We won in Denver yesterday because Derrick Johnson made game changing plays, and so did Charles. You can get solid safe picks in the latter rounds. Your first rounder should be a guy that makes a HUGE difference on the team. Maybe not as a rookie, but in his 2nd and 3rd seasons his talent should be evident on the field. A right tackle will never do that. You can find a good right tackle in all sorts of places.

Either way, we still have to see what we do in free agency.

TigerPig
01-04-2010, 03:58 PM
:facepalm:

You want to build a team with no playmakers, good luck with that.

You don't get a playmaker unless you surround him with talent. One man cannot do it all by himself.

You have one playmaker on a crappy team, you have the Lions throughout the 90s. How many playoff games did they win?

This team sucks sooooo bad you need to fill in all of the gaps first, then get the playmaker. O-linemen are some of the best picks for that cause its easier to gauge their talent, and they usually have longer careers than other positions.

If you get a good line going, five years from now we could have some total studs of a O-line and THEN get a playmaker who can do something with it.

Mecca
Look at the best teams in the league, they have lines largely built out of the first round, very very few teams have more than 1 first round OL, some have none...the Ravens have 2 both taken after 20 mind you.

No team has 2 top 15 offensive linemen that they drafted. Think about that for a moment.

TheGuardian
What's funny is we actually agree on stuff like this.

that's because I don't stick by a stance if things change. Players change and the game changes. I'm generally a trenches first guy, but this team really needs some guys that will make it hard for opposing coaches to game plan for them. We've used 3 first round picks on trench guys. we need a play maker to go with Carr and Flowers.

TE will be overvalued by some people forever because of Gonzalez.

For sure here in chiefs land. Gonzo is a once in a lifetime player. Maybe the greatest tight end ever. We don't need that, I think Cottam will be fine.

'Hamas' Jenkins
01-04-2010, 03:59 PM

TigerPig

TigerPig

Does whatever a TigerPig does

Is he a

Fucking 'tard?

Yes he is

Read that post.

Look ooout, he is the TigerPiiiiig.

Mecca
01-04-2010, 03:59 PM
You don't get a playmaker unless you surround him with talent. One man cannot do it all by himself.

You have one playmaker on a crappy team, you have the Lions throughout the 90s. How many playoff games did they win?

This team sucks sooooo bad you need to fill in all of the gaps first, then get the playmaker. O-linemen are some of the best picks for that cause its easier to gauge their talent, and they usually have longer careers than other positions.

If you get a good line going, five years from now we could have some total studs of a O-line and THEN get a playmaker who can do something with it.

You'd have taken Robert Gallery over Larry Fitzgerald with this line of thought, ponder that.

'Hamas' Jenkins
01-04-2010, 04:00 PM
that's because I don't stick by a stance if things change. Players change and the game changes. I'm generally a trenches first guy, but this team really needs some guys that will make it hard for opposing coaches to game plan for them. We've used 3 first round picks on trench guys. we need a play maker to go with Carr and Flowers.

For sure here in chiefs land. Gonzo is a once in a lifetime player. Maybe the greatest tight end ever. We don't need that, I think Cottam will be fine.

You're silly and you're ignorant, but you've got guts, and guts is enough.

BigCatDaddy
01-04-2010, 04:00 PM

Who said that? He said he is not a Sean Taylor like athlete. Do you disagree?

nychief
01-04-2010, 04:01 PM
I know people won't agree, but I'd like to see the chiefs fill the WR/PR void early in the draft... meaning I think we'll take a good hard look at Dez Bryant... a big fast wideout, who also has returned punts. He (or someone of his ilk) would immediately upgrade two areas of concern.

Otherwise... LBer or Safety in the 1st.

Bob Dole

And laugh when they pick Ryan Sims Jr.?

HemiEd

Link? I have not seen any negative comments on Berry, that I recall. Some have watched him a couple times, and were not overwhelmed by his greatness.

I just attribute that to very high expectations, of him taking over a game. That is pretty hard to do for a guy playing his position.

Go back a few years and substitute DJs name, pretty much the same. If he is there, and the Chiefs don't draft him, this place will melt to the ground.

TigerPig
01-04-2010, 04:02 PM
This team needs game changers.

We won in Denver yesterday because Derrick Johnson made game changing plays, and so did Charles. You can get solid safe picks in the latter rounds. Your first rounder should be a guy that makes a HUGE difference on the team. Maybe not as a rookie, but in his 2nd and 3rd seasons his talent should be evident on the field. A right tackle will never do that. You can find a good right tackle in all sorts of places.

Either way, we still have to see what we do in free agency.

You aren't going to get performances like you did out of those two every game. Last night was somewhat of an anomaly. Do not count on it happening again. Likewise, do not assume Charles is going to be a 1,500 yard back next year with this line. If you give him a great O-line to make even better holes for him, and give the LBs an awesome NT who will let them take bigger risks, then you start making the players already on your team playmakers.

nychief

Berry is certainly a better athlete at this point, seeing as mr. taylor es mort.

Mecca

You know what Sean Taylor's 40 was...4.50.

Taylor made a ton of plays because he got to freelance in Miami's scheme. The same as Berry was doing before Monte Kiffin got there.

Taylor was bigger than Berry, Berry has better speed, their instincts and ball skills are similar.

Mecca
01-04-2010, 04:03 PM
Link? I have not seen any negative comments on Berry, that I recall. Some have watched him a couple times, and were not overwhelmed by his greatness.

I just attribute that to very high expectations, of him taking over a game. That is pretty hard to do for a guy playing his position.

Go back a few years and substitute DJs name, pretty much the same. If he is there, and the Chiefs don't draft him, this place will melt to the ground.

Go to the draft thread from yesterday, there's a guy who despises Berry it's really weird.

BigCatDaddy
01-04-2010, 04:03 PM
I know people won't agree, but I'd like to see the chiefs fill the WR/PR void early in the draft... meaning I think we'll take a good hard look at Dez Bryant... a big fast wideout, who also has returned punts. He (or someone of his ilk) would immediately upgrade two areas of concern.

Otherwise... LBer or Safety in the 1st.

I would take a look at Bryant, but would not have him get killed returning kick or punts. I'm not against Berry, but worry that he is so good that he will not make it to pick #5 is just dumb, why? Because a safety hasn't been taken above #5 if almost 20 freaking years!!!!

TigerPig
01-04-2010, 04:04 PM
And laugh when they pick Ryan Sims Jr.?

Yes, and we would wait until pick 11 and get Dwight Freeney.

DeezNutz
01-04-2010, 04:04 PM

Me, now.

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/48/132504313_6cfe8489bf_b.jpg

TheGuardian
01-04-2010, 04:05 PM
You aren't going to get performances like you did out of those two every game. Last night was somewhat of an anomaly. Do not count on it happening again. Likewise, do not assume Charles is going to be a 1,500 yard back next year with this line. If you give him a great O-line to make even better holes for him, and give the LBs an awesome NT who will let them take bigger risks, then you start making the players already on your team playmakers.

Charles was a 1150 yard back in what 8 or 10 games behind this line????????

Yet somehow he won't be a 1500 yard back???

Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhh................

Chiefnj2
01-04-2010, 04:05 PM
Look at the best teams in the league, they have lines largely built out of the first round, very very few teams have more than 1 first round OL, some have none...the Ravens have 2 both taken after 20 mind you.

No team has 2 top 15 offensive linemen that they drafted. Think about that for a moment.

"that they drafted". Some have top linemen that other teams drafted and they brought in as free agents. They did see the need for better talent.

Mecca
01-04-2010, 04:06 PM
"that they drafted". Some have top linemen that other teams drafted and they brought in as free agents. They did see the need for better talent.

Awesome go spend some FA money then?

BigCatDaddy
01-04-2010, 04:07 PM
You know what Sean Taylor's 40 was...4.50.

Taylor made a ton of plays because he got to freelance in Miami's scheme. The same as Berry was doing before Monte Kiffin got there.

Taylor was bigger than Berry, Berry has better speed, their instincts and ball skills are similar.

Come on. Berry LIST his 40 as 4.4 as these guys almost always list faster times then the run at the combine. Besides being an athlete doesn't always equal 40 time.

TigerPig
01-04-2010, 04:08 PM

I'm telling you... Don't count on it. Especially after an entire offseason where teams will be a lot more apt to design their defenses around him.

Try eight men in the box, sometimes even NINE... ALL game and see what happens. When you have one great player amongst other mediocre players that great player gets neutralized. And Charles probably will unless he can get a solid line in front of him.

nychief
I would take a look at Bryant, but would not have him get killed returning kick or punts. I'm not against Berry, but worry that he is so good that he will not make it to pick #5 is just dumb, why? Because a safety hasn't been taken above #5 if almost 20 freaking years!!!!

Look at Harvin with the vikes... I could see Bryant being that type of impact player for us.... both on special teams and in the offense.

also, lets be honest.. we know TH is going to bring in some new wideout blood.

Micjones

I didn't get that one either, but I think the larger point is not to stand pat based on yesterday's performances.

Mecca
Come on. Berry LIST his 40 as 4.4 as these guys almost always list faster times then the run at the combine. Besides being an athlete doesn't always equal 40 time.

That's a nice job at ignoring the rest of that post.

HemiEd
01-04-2010, 04:09 PM
You aren't going to get performances like you did out of those two every game. Last night was somewhat of an anomaly. Do not count on it happening again. Likewise, do not assume Charles is going to be a 1,500 yard back next year with this line. If you give him a great O-line to make even better holes for him, and give the LBs an awesome NT who will let them take bigger risks, then you start making the players already on your team playmakers.Are you being serious, or are you a dupe here to stir the pot. You are giving the drafturbators a lot of ammo.

As proven this last few games, this line just needs time to play together. It takes time and reps.

'Hamas' Jenkins
01-04-2010, 04:10 PM
Look at Harvin with the vikes... I could see Bryant being that type of impact player for us.... both on special teams and in the offense.

You could not have picked a less apt comparison

Mecca

Ok question, why would you take Bryant top 5 to do this when guys who will probably be there at the top of the 2nd round can do similar things and aren't that worse prospects?

Arrellious Benn being a good example.

Micjones
Ok question, why would you take Bryant top 5 to do this when guys who will probably be there at the top of the 2nd round can do similar things and aren't that worse prospects?

Or Golden Tate...

TheGuardian

I think we need to draft a guard maybe even with our second round pick.

something like this -

round 1 - berry
round 2 - spikes
round 2 - Iupati

IMO we have to bring in some inside guys. I think Studebaker should start opposite of Hali personally. I think you give Belcher a chance to win a job inside along with Spikes.

The Franchise
01-04-2010, 04:11 PM

Or Mardy Gilyard.

Or Golden Tate.

TigerPig
01-04-2010, 04:13 PM
Are you being serious, or are you a dupe here to stir the pot. You are giving the drafturbators a lot of ammo.

As proven this last few games, this line just needs time to play together. It takes time and reps.

I'm not stirring any pot. I want this team to be good. But its ludicrous to take for granted your running back is going to average 100 yards a game, even if he did this year (when he started). And its even crazier to think that even though he did that for the last half of the season that he doesn't need a better line because this one is good enough. This line SUCKS... SUCKS... SUCKS.

Mr. Laz
01-04-2010, 04:13 PM
You're being an idiot.

Laz said he could see Berry slip a little bit since he didn't put up his usual huge stats this year. That was right after his earlier post in this thread that said he hopes Berry falls to us.

Bigcatdaddy said Berry isn't the physical specimen that Sean Taylor is, but that Mays is. Are you disagreeing with this? I haven't seen one person trash Berry.

But, keep wondering why people constantly "pick fights" with you, with your stupid fucking generalizations.
i'm glad someone can read

Mecca
01-04-2010, 04:14 PM
Hell if you like Gilyard you're probably looking at maybe even 3rd or 4th round.

I just don't think this is the year to be pulling a top 5 pick on a WR.

'Hamas' Jenkins
01-04-2010, 04:16 PM
Iupati to me could play either G or RT.

DeezNutz
Iupati to me could play either G or RT.

I don't think he gets out of round 1.

OnTheWarpath15

something like this -

round 1 - berry
round 2 - spikes
round 2 - Iupati

IMO we have to bring in some inside guys. I think Studebaker should start opposite of Hali personally. I think you give Belcher a chance to win a job inside along with Spikes.

Question:

Would you rather draft a guard, and continue to play Rudy at center, or would you rather draft Kris O'Dowd, and move Rudy to guard, where he's shown in the past to be pretty solid?

BigCatDaddy
i'm glad someone can read

But but but there was 1 guy in the draft thread the other day LMAO

Mecca
01-04-2010, 04:17 PM
I still have no idea if O'Dowd is going to declare, I'm pretty sure Williams will but the rest of those SC guys I have no idea on.

Mecca
01-04-2010, 04:18 PM
But but but there was 1 guy in the draft thread the other day LMAO

LOL the guy who ignores my posts then compares Sean Taylor and Taylor Mays even though the only thing they have in common is that they were close in size.

Micjones
01-04-2010, 04:18 PM

something like this -

round 1 - berry
round 2 - spikes
round 2 - Iupati

LOVE the first 2 picks. Not sure I'd go there with the Round 2b pick. We've got a lot of Guards already on this roster. We have too many holes to fill to go there...that high.

Micjones
01-04-2010, 04:19 PM
Question:

Would you rather draft a guard, and continue to play Rudy at center, or would you rather draft Kris O'Dowd, and move Rudy to guard, where he's shown in the past to be pretty solid?

The latter...of course.
Niswanger is much more valuable to this team at RG.

HemiEd
01-04-2010, 04:23 PM
I for one, would like to see the LB situation addressed. Are there any that the Chiefs might pick up with one of their 2nds?

I am hoping this was Vrabel's only year as a Chief.

OnTheWarpath15
01-04-2010, 04:24 PM
The latter...of course.
Niswanger is much more valuable to this team at RG.

I agree, but I don't think it's as clear-cut for others.

RUSH
01-04-2010, 04:25 PM
Don't overlook Vlad Ducasse from UMass either. He can play every spot on the O-line except center and Pioli went to UMass personally to scout him during one of his scouting trips a few months ago. I can post the article that I read about it if anyone is interested. He's had an amazing journey to America and really made something of himself, it's a great story.

Micjones
01-04-2010, 04:29 PM
I agree, but I don't think it's as clear-cut for others.

But, if Iupati were drafted does that mean Niswanger would necessarily start over Wade Smith at Center?

Micjones
01-04-2010, 04:29 PM
I for one, would like to see the LB situation addressed. Are there any that the Chiefs might pick up with one of their 2nds?

Brandon Spikes hopefully.
Sergio Kindle should also be around for that Round 2b pick.

OnTheWarpath15
01-04-2010, 04:33 PM
But, if Iupati were drafted does that mean Niswanger would necessarily start over Wade Smith at Center?

Seeing as how it took injuries to Rudy and Goff for Smith to see the field to begin with, yeah.

HemiEd
01-04-2010, 04:37 PM
Brandon Spikes hopefully.
Sergio Kindle should also be around for that Round 2b pick.

Can Spikes play outside? Maybe both of them, would that be possible?

nychief
01-04-2010, 04:44 PM
You could not have picked a less apt comparison

why? because of their size difference? I was speaking to the fact that they are young stud wideouts who fill do, or could, fill multiple roles.

As for waiting till the top of 2nd for a wideout... sure, it's an option. I can just see after this abortion of a season by our wideouts that Haley is going to look to upgrade early in the draft...

Micjones
01-04-2010, 05:07 PM
Seeing as how it took injuries to Rudy and Goff for Smith to see the field to begin with, yeah.

You coach and learn. At least hopefully.
When he does an evaluation of the season perhaps he'll realize that he had better options available right here on the roster.

After Charles ran to over 1,000 yards... It's obvious he was wrong in that regard at least once.

sodcat
01-04-2010, 05:39 PM
I'm glad we are at 5 as well.. plus it was nice to kill Denver's playoff hopes

Yeah, especially on their field, after what they did to us at Arrowhead!

Ebolapox
01-04-2010, 05:40 PM

the chiefs fans REALLY wanted to draft a qb last year. shit didn't happen. it appears that front offices don't listen to fans on the draft.

nychief
01-04-2010, 05:42 PM
Mcshay had us taking the OT from rutgahhhhhhs, FWIW. 6pm SC.

DrRyan
01-04-2010, 05:54 PM

Spikes, Eric Norwood, Jerry Hughes, Kindle, Von Miller and maybe Ricky Sapp could all be second round LBs.

Micjones
01-04-2010, 05:54 PM
Can Spikes play outside? Maybe both of them, would that be possible?

He could, but he'll be more valuable to us inside...

Mr. Laz
01-04-2010, 05:57 PM
Mitch Holthus says look for the chiefs to address offensive line with the 5th pick

:popcorn:

Chris Meck
01-04-2010, 05:58 PM
I don't think you need to draft a RB high or pay a high priced FA. a mid rounder or a middle of the road FA guy with a little size to spell Charles would be fine. A Mike Bell type. He'll take like 5-10 carries, tops. Charles is certainly a front line RB at this point.

We certainly need help at NT, S, WR, LB, and OL.

Brock
01-04-2010, 06:01 PM
Mitch Holthus says look for the chiefs to address offensive line with the 5th pick

gag

ModSocks
01-04-2010, 06:01 PM

fuck man! im tired of hearing that shit!

NO OL. DO YOU HEAR ME YOU MEDIA DOUCHBAGS? NO OL!!! FUCK!

the Talking Can
01-04-2010, 06:02 PM
i get the resistance to drafting spiller, makes me a bit nervous too after watching Charles and given the general lamentable amount of talent on the squad....

and it's been preached in the planet for quite some time that RBs are expendable (pretty sure i'm culpable of it) and can be found everywhere in the draft - Charles is exhibit A of the proof of the argument....

but in the context of an actual draft - not hypothetical -you have to consider the rare mineral that is "playmaker" or whatever you want to call it....that quality is rare, only generally appears obvious with players in the first round (whereas jared allen and jamaal charles were not obviously playmakers), and can't be adequately substituted for by just any late round pick at the same position...

so, one could in good conscience argue that with Charles we only need a late round flyer on a back like Hardesty or Blount or [ ], and should therefore use the pick on someone else...

in context though, when you start comparing Spiller's talents to other players like Okung (yuck) or McClain (yea!) or Bryant (no opinion), it starts to make sense why'd you take him....guy is proven, durable, multi-talented and electric...with him and Charles you would always have a RB on the field who could break a 50+ run...

Spiller over Okung = yes...a no brainer
Spiller over Berry = nope, I think we need Berry more than Spiller
Spiller over a QB = i'd like a QB, but it isn't going to happen so Spiller
Spiller over McClain = damn, I loves me some McClain but you'd probably take Spiller because of the overall lb talent in the first 2 rounds (a subject worthy of its own thread) and mcclain is an ILB, not a Ware type...

i think the media in kc would lose their shit if we did it..i have no idea if halioli have the inclination to do so...[insert usual carping here about halioli...]

the Talking Can
01-04-2010, 06:04 PM

man that would suck

DeezNutz
01-04-2010, 06:05 PM

KK asked, "Would you rather be the Chiefs or the Broncos at this point? Which has the stronger roster to build around?" And Mitch's stupid ****ing response:

"Would you rather have Brain Dawkins or Jamaal Charles?"

And that's why Holthus is a ****ing idiot.

Mr. Laz
01-04-2010, 06:08 PM
And that's why Holthus is a ****ing idiot.
we have found something we can agree on! :eek:

philfree
01-04-2010, 06:10 PM

Mitch is just talking because that's his job. Does he have inside info? Prolbably not with Pioli running things. He watches every game, you think he'd have seen the improvement in Albert late in the season.

PhilFree:arrow:

philfree
01-04-2010, 06:11 PM
Are you sure he didn't with a 5th round pick?

Mr. Laz
01-04-2010, 06:12 PM
Are you sure he didn't with a 5th round pick?

hehe ... nope, he all but said OKUNG!!!!!

LMAO

doomy3
01-04-2010, 06:32 PM

Go to the draft thread from yesterday, there's a guy who despises Berry it's really weird.

ROFLROFL

Your first post in this thread tries to say that there's a "general crew" trashing Berry, and later you back that up by saying there was a guy in a draft thread who hates him? That's it? Must have been one of the main members of the crew that hates quarterbacks. Gee, can't understand why it's impossible to take you seriously.

philfree
01-04-2010, 06:33 PM
hehe ... nope, he all but said OKUNG!!!!!

LMAO

I just listened to McShay give us the guy from Rutgers..Davis. IMO wee should draft an o linemen in the 2nd round. I'm intrigured by this Vladimir Ducasse guy. I don't know but what I've read about him but he seems like a guy who could start at at least three positions on the O line and do well. Bring him in and let him fight it out for a starting spot at RT, RG ot LG. Who know's he might even be able to play some LT too.

Chris Meck
01-04-2010, 09:21 PM
I REALLY think Albert did a nice job the last third of the season or so. And he was the best '08 1st round LT on the field in Denver Sunday. Hali only got the one sack, but he was smoking Clady all day.

I don't think LT is a need. I think we're good there. LG, C, RG, and RT are all another matter.

I'll say that all of them did much much better the last couple of weeks...but it's still a problem.

The Bad Guy
01-04-2010, 09:37 PM
They drafted Landry 6th when they had taken Sean taylor 5th just 3 years earlier so...

And that turned out very well for them?

I know Taylor's death was awful, but before that, he wasn't lighting the world on fire.

There's also a new GM there, who made it a point to talk about how the offensive line has to be upgraded first and foremost during the PC to announce the Zorn firing.

TheGuardian
01-04-2010, 09:41 PM
And that turned out very well for them?

I know Taylor's death was awful, but before that, he wasn't lighting the world on fire.

There's also a new GM there, who made it a point to talk about how the offensive line has to be upgraded first and foremost during the PC to announce the Zorn firing.

Thank you.

If there is one thing I hate it's that in peoples early death they are often built up bigger than they were. Sean Taylor was an average player. He's talked about now as some kind of great safety but he hadn't lived up to his hype at that point, and I don't remember a safety coming with the kind of hype that he did. He was ok. He was not in the same league as Polamalu and Reed and Wilson.

dirk digler
01-04-2010, 09:41 PM

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Wilson8
01-04-2010, 11:28 PM
The Chiefs draft 5th in the first round but actually draft in the 4th position in rounds 2 through 4. Washington lost their 3rd round pick in the supplemental draft for DE Jeremy Jarmon from Kentucky.

We go back to the 5th slot in the 5th round.

http://walterfootball.com/nfldraftorder2010.php

Round 1
1. St. Louis (1-15)
2. Detroit (2-14)
3. Tampa Bay (3-13)
4. Washington (4-12)
5. Kansas City (4-12)

Round 2
1. St. Louis (1-15)
2. Detroit (2-14)
3. Tampa Bay (3-13)
4. Kansas City (4-12)
5. Washington (4-12)
18. Kansas City - from Atlanta Tony Gonzalez trade (9-7)

Round 3
1. St. Louis (1-15)
2. Detroit (2-14)
3. Tampa Bay (3-13)
4. Kansas City (4-12) Washington used its 3rd-rounder in the Supplemental Draft

Round 4
1. St. Louis (1-15)
2. Detroit (2-14)
3. Tampa Bay (3-13)
4. Kansas City (4-12)
5. Washington (4-12)

Round 5
1. St. Louis (1-15)
2. Detroit (2-14)
3. Cleveland - from Tampa Bay (3-13)
4. Washington (4-12)
5. Kansas City (4-12)
6. Cleveland (5-11)
7. Oakland (5-11)
8. Seattle (5-11)
9. Buffalo (6-10)
10. Chicago^ (7-9)
11. Kansas City - from Miami (7-9) Chiefs-Dolphins: Tyler Thigpen
12. Jacksonville^ (7-9)
13. Kansas City - from Carolina^ (8-8) Chiefs-Panthers: Tank Tyler

Walter’s also has KC drafting in the 6th round but I thought we gave that up for the offensive linemen from Miami.. We gave up our 7th round pick for the rights to draft O’Connell.

Mecca
01-04-2010, 11:40 PM
Sean Taylor was a phenomenal college player that had some issues transitioning to the next level because at Miami he was a free lance player who understood how to read QB's and ballhawk. When he was actually asked to play disciplined to his scheme assignment he had some problems.

Chiefs=Champions
01-04-2010, 11:53 PM

Yes because its sooo easy to go out and get top of the line playmakers with mid round first picks...

What happens if you go out a get an amazing o line is essentially what happened to the Vermiel Chiefs. You will have a very solid team that may get to the playoffs, but will lose because they dont have enough playmakers in key postions....

:facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: