PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Babb: Chiefs linebacker Johnson makes a couple of big plays

Tribal Warfare
01-04-2010, 05:07 AM
Chiefs linebacker Johnson makes a couple of big plays (http://www.kansascity.com/sports/chiefs/story/1662599.html)
By KENT BABB
The Kansas City Star

DENVER | Derrick Johnson has been trying to tell the Chiefs all season that he’s a playmaker. On Sunday, he showed them.

Johnson, a veteran linebacker who’s a former first-round pick, has been one of Kansas City’s favorite mysteries this season after being benched during the preseason. He lost his starting job and never regained it. He said often that he disagreed with the move and wanted to become a starter. Said he was capable of better. In the Chiefs’ final game, he finally made his point.

“It’s big,” Johnson said. “I’ve been frustrated.”

Johnson intercepted two Kyle "Pro Bowl" Orton passes, returning both for touchdowns, during Sunday’s 44-24 win against Denver at Invesco Field. Johnson is one of 25 players in NFL history to achieve such a feat. It was an odd achievement for a player who isn’t even a starter.

Coach Todd Haley, who made the decision to demote Johnson, said Sunday night he was relieved that Johnson kept fighting. That he didn’t cash out after beginning 16 games on the bench and being part of no more than 20 or so plays per game.

Haley might have seen Sunday what he wanted to see from Johnson all along. Johnson, a fifth-year player, has been an annual underachiever, but the win against Denver showed that he is as dominant as anyone when his mind, body and work ethic are in harmony.

“I know what he believes of himself as a player,” Haley said. “Anytime what you believe is not what’s happening, it’s frustrating and can lead to destructive action or results. That guy has continued to come out every day.

“We just want consistent plays of the defense, do your job, and make some plays in the process. If you can do that, then you’ll have a chance to play, compete and start.”

Johnson said he wants assurances that he’ll be a starter next year. It’s debatable that he’ll get that kind of guarantee, particularly from a coaching staff that isn’t into making promises.

And there’s a chance Johnson could ask out of Kansas City if his disappointment continues. He told The Star last week that he’ll request a meeting with Chiefs officials to discuss his future. He said Thursday that if that meeting disappoints him, he might begin considering his options.

“I don’t want to jump to conclusions,” Johnson said Thursday, “but that wouldn’t go good.”

Johnson is scheduled, for now, to be an unrestricted free agent this offseason. But if the league and players’ union can’t agree on a new labor contract, then Johnson would be among 212 NFL players who would become restricted free agents. That would limit Johnson’s options and, short of asking for a trade or his release, he’d be more likely to return to Kansas City.

But Sunday left a valuable impression, if doubt remained. Johnson improvised on the second interception, twisted his body to make a tough catch, and outran Denver’s offense. He said he’s glad that’s the image the Chiefs will remember for the next few months.

“Whenever you have your chance to get out there and play, you’ve got to just seize the moment,” he said. “Do I wish I could play more? Yeah. Sometimes you don’t have to always agree. All the coaches have great intentions. It wasn’t nothing about trying to do anything bad to Derrick Johnson.

“We talked before the game. (Haley) told me, ‘Hey, get me a pick or something.’ I was like, ‘All right.’ It was talking, but it happened. … He told me when I get my chance, I need to play. That’s what I did today.”

Hog's Gone Fishin
01-04-2010, 06:02 AM
Good for DJ, I still think sitting him has been a mistake. Mays and Williams were FAIL for us this year. We need play makers on the field and DJ is a play maker.

Oh .... and didn't Pollard have an int AND a fumble recovery for a TD this week....yeah he did !

TheGuardian
01-04-2010, 07:04 AM
Good for Derrick. I wish he could show up consistently from week to week. I never root for players to fail like some "fans" here. I just call what I see. If Derrick can get his shit together I would mind keeping him, but I fear he is what he is after 4 seasons.

BossChief
01-04-2010, 07:26 AM
DJ could have had a shit ton of games like this. That is the thing people miss with him. He has done everything a big play linebacker does except catch the ball on numerous occasions.

Its just that he is now finishing those plays.

I hope the rumor of him not returning under any circumstances isnt true, because if he can start finishing his plays with more consistency he can be a gamechanger for us and that is what we drafted.

InChiefsHeaven
01-04-2010, 07:35 AM
Good for DJ, I still think sitting him has been a mistake. Mays and Williams were FAIL for us this year. We need play makers on the field and DJ is a play maker.

Oh .... and didn't Pollard have an int AND a fumble recovery for a TD this week....yeah he did !

I tell ya, I've heard Pollard's name on more highlights this season...letting him go was a mistake. Not a Jared Allen mistake, but a mistake nonetheless. Oh well...

KCChiefsMan
01-04-2010, 08:33 AM
I tell ya, I've heard Pollard's name on more highlights this season...letting him go was a mistake. Not a Jared Allen mistake, but a mistake nonetheless. Oh well...

it has to be coaching with him, he flat out sucked for us and at the time his release made sense

Mr. Laz
01-04-2010, 08:57 AM
DJ is good in the passing game and crappy against the run.

can he play strong safety?

jspchief
01-04-2010, 09:00 AM
DJ looked completely lost in the 3-4 at the start of the season. I get why he wasn't out on the field much. That being said, I probably would have rather faced his growing pains in an attempt to se ewhat he could do, rather than play a stopgap like Vrabel all year.

Mr. Laz
01-04-2010, 09:02 AM
DJ looked completely lost in the 3-4 at the start of the season. I get why he wasn't out on the field much. That being said, I probably would have rather faced his growing pains in an attempt to se ewhat he could do, rather than play a stopgap like Vrabel all year.
umm ... DJ was making the same mistakes in the running game yesterday against the Donks that he always has.

jspchief
01-04-2010, 09:04 AM
umm ... DJ was making the same mistakes in the running game yesterday against the Donks that he always has.not sure what that has to do with my post

Mr. Laz
01-04-2010, 09:06 AM
not sure what that has to do with my post
well ... i took your post to mean that DJ had improved over the year in the 3-4.

jspchief
01-04-2010, 09:10 AM
well ... i took your post to mean that DJ had improved over the year in the 3-4.I think he has, but that's not what I was saying.

As for his run D, the guy has been poor at shedding blocks since college and everyone laughed it up on draft day that "you don't need to shed blockers when you have the speed to run around them".

That being said, I would have still rather worked on developing him than play a stopgap like Vrabel.

gblowfish
01-04-2010, 09:11 AM
I'm sure DJ's agent sent him flowers this AM. ChaChing.

Mr. Laz
01-04-2010, 09:12 AM
I think he has, but that's not what I was saying.

As for his run D, the guy has been poor at shedding blocks since college and everyone laughed it up on draft day that "you don't need to shed blockers when you have the speed to run around them".

That being said, I would have still rather worked on developing him than play a stopgap like Vrabel.
imo they would have worked on developing if DJ was open to being developed. i think that's the issue.

The unwillingness or inability to play within any scheme as been DJ's problem under several coaching staffs.

jspchief
01-04-2010, 09:21 AM
imo they would have worked on developing if DJ was open to being developed. i think that's the issue.

The unwillingness or inability to play within any scheme as been DJ's problem under several coaching staffs.It's not like the guy is a bust. A few years ago he led the league in TFL. He just hasn't lived up to the expectations of Chiefs fans. The guy is a solid LB, has been the best LB on the team for his entire career, minus this year.

He's not going to be the cornerstone of the defense, but he is a starting NFL LB in a 4-3. He's a hell of a lot more likely to be a piece of someone's puzzle than Vrabel. If you look at his skill set in college, yesterday is precisely what what he has always been.

As for willingness, that sounds like guessing. I just think he needs to be used a particular way to be productive. If someone wants to stick a square peg in a round hole, I don't really blame the peg for not wanting to go in.

Mr. Laz
01-04-2010, 09:29 AM
It's not like the guy is a bust. A few years ago he led the league in TFL. He just hasn't lived up to the expectations of Chiefs fans. The guy is a solid LB, has been the best LB on the team for his entire career, minus this year.

He's not going to be the cornerstone of the defense, but he is a starting NFL LB in a 4-3. He's a hell of a lot more likely to be a piece of someone's puzzle than Vrabel. If you look at his skill set in college, yesterday is precisely what what he has always been.

As for willingness, that sounds like guessing. I just think he needs to be used a particular way to be productive. If someone wants to stick a square peg in a round hole, I don't really blame the peg for not wanting to go in.
it is just an opinion ... but there have been rumors and it sure fits the history.

several schemes,several coaches and Derrick Johnson is up and down in all of them.

leading the league in TFL fits right into the "inconsistent freelancer" idea i get about DJ. He constantly leaves his assignment to "go get the guy" and it ends up with a boom/bust situation.

once again ... just an opinion, but history suggests it's a viable opinion.

Do you really think that the current coaching staff would of just sat DJ for yucks with as bad as our LB situation has been this year unless there was perpetual inability to follow instructions?

Jack
01-04-2010, 09:30 AM
What's "TFL"?

Mr. Laz
01-04-2010, 09:32 AM
What's "TFL"?
tackle for loss

Skip Towne
01-04-2010, 09:40 AM
I hope he doesn't get away. We can't afford Haley's stupid mistakes.

jspchief
01-04-2010, 09:43 AM
it is just an opinion ... but there have been rumors and it sure fits the history.

several schemes,several coaches and Derrick Johnson is up and down in all of them.

leading the league in TFL fits right into the "inconsistent freelancer" idea i get about DJ. He constantly leaves his assignment to "go get the guy" and it ends up with a boom/bust situation.

once again ... just an opinion, but history suggests it's a viable opinion.

Do you really think that the current coaching staff would of just sat DJ for yucks with as bad as our LB situation has been this year unless there was perpetual inability to follow instructions?I think he sat because he was terrible in the system. Like I said in my first post, lost.

But I still believe the Chiefs had more to gain by giving DJ every chance to figure out the 3-4, than they had to gain by playing some of the other guys they played in his stead.

I just see another Pollard situation. Used correctly, I think he's a very viable starter in the NFL.

The Poz
01-04-2010, 09:44 AM

No worry's, they kissed & made up.

BigRedChief
01-04-2010, 09:44 AM
I hope he doesn't get away. We can't afford Haley's stupid mistakes.DJ will never play another down in a Chiefs uniform.

ChiTown
01-04-2010, 09:45 AM
I just see another Pollard situation. Used correctly, I think he's a very viable starter in the NFL.

+1

Chiefnj2
01-04-2010, 09:49 AM
Johnson's best use would be in a scheme where he has a really solid DL in front of him so you can let him freelance a bit and use his athleticism. He's Arrington-like.

CaliforniaChief
01-04-2010, 09:49 AM
Another great KC Star headline.

Tomorrow's headline: "Charles has good day against Broncos. He's Fast"

BossChief
01-04-2010, 09:50 AM
You have me super intrigued about your comments BRC.

jspchief
01-04-2010, 09:51 AM
Johnson's best use would be in a scheme where he has a really solid DL in front of him so you can let him freelance a bit and use his athleticism. He's Arrington-like.I agree. He's been asked to fill gap assignments behind a line that can't hold their own against anyone. Put him behind a line that forces the issue, and DJ ball-hawking could be good stuff.

TheGuardian
01-04-2010, 09:52 AM
Johnson's best use would be in a scheme where he has a really solid DL in front of him so you can let him freelance a bit and use his athleticism. He's Arrington-like.

That's not a compliment you know? Arringinton was called the single most undisciplined player he had ever coached by Marvin Lewis.

ChiTown
01-04-2010, 09:52 AM
Another great KC Star headline.

Tomorrow's headline: "Charles has good day against Broncos. He's Fast"

ROFL

BossChief
01-04-2010, 09:53 AM
What's "TFL"?Really?

+1
make that +2

Mr. Laz
01-04-2010, 09:56 AM
and DJ's problems in previous schemes with previous coaches?

i'm sorry, but even DJ's interceptions yesterday were as much luck as good play.

1st INT - DJ was beaten badly ... he was 3/4 yards behind the receiver. If Horton makes a decent throw it's probably 6 points for Denver. Horton under throws it badly and DJ makes an athletic catch/run and it's 6 points for us.

2nd INT - looks to me like DJ freelanced again. Imo he was supposed to blitz but there was a running back in front of DJ and instead of trying to beat the blocker he backed out and followed the QB's eyes to the ball. Great play sure but it also looked like he didn't follow his assignment again.

:shrug: just sayin'

gblowfish
01-04-2010, 10:57 AM
and DJ's problems in previous schemes with previous coaches?

i'm sorry, but even DJ's interceptions yesterday were as much luck as good play.

1st INT - DJ was beaten badly ... he was 3/4 yards behind the receiver. If Horton makes a decent throw it's probably 6 points for Denver. Horton under throws it badly and DJ makes an athletic catch/run and it's 6 points for us.

2nd INT - looks to me like DJ freelanced again. Imo he was supposed to blitz but there was a running back in front of DJ and instead of trying to beat the blocker he backed out and followed the QB's eyes to the ball. Great play sure but it also looked like he didn't follow his assignment again.

:shrug: just sayin'

Sometimes it pays to be lucky.

The Franchise
01-04-2010, 11:01 AM
DJ shows up one last time before his contract is up. I really don't see him as a Chief next year.

Mr. Laz
01-04-2010, 11:03 AM
Sometimes it pays to be lucky.truth

Chiefnj2
01-04-2010, 11:11 AM
He's an RFA, they'll put a tender on him in hopes of getting a 2nd round pick.

Tribal Warfare
01-04-2010, 02:58 PM

Luck is when hard work and preparation meets opportunity. Only losers cry about "luck".

Mr. Laz
01-04-2010, 03:14 PM
Luck is when hard work and preparation meets opportunity. Only losers cry about "luck".
even a blind squirrel finds a nut every once in awhile

T-post Tom
01-04-2010, 03:20 PM
I believe that Crennel is coming to KC and will have a HUGE input on Johnson's future. If he tells Haley/Pioli that he believes in DJ as a successful starter, then DJ will stay. I think that Crennel will be doing a lot of evaluation and that the decision on DJ will not happen quickly. Unless of course, they get a ridiculous offer from someone. Not likely, but you never know.