PDA

View Full Version : Life NFT: Anyone live in Colorado Springs?

shitgoose
01-05-2010, 12:47 PM
My family and I are considering making a move there next year from Wichita. My wife is seriously thinking about going back to school to finish her doctorate and U of Colorado Colorado Springs has a program she would like to get into. Also, some of her family lives there so that is another reason we are considering the area more so than someplace we don't know anyone.

We like the area as we visit at least twice a year. However, I know that visiting somewhere and living somewhere are two very different things. I am looking for feedback from people who either currently live or have lived in the area.

That fact that it is Donkey land is obviously an issue but its something I can deal with thanks to Direct TV. :D

TIA.

NewChief
01-05-2010, 12:50 PM
Interestingly enough, someone else had a similar query a while back.

Here's the thread (http://chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=196670&highlight=colorado+springs).

Jenson71
01-05-2010, 12:51 PM
I have an aunt who lives there with four young kids, and she likes it. If you can, get a home with mountains in the backyard. She takes my cousins hiking a lot and it's really good for people.

Rain Man
01-05-2010, 12:51 PM
Nice city. It's very conservative politically and has a large military culture, as a couple of facts.

One thing of interest is that they're having a huge fiscal crisis right now, worst in Colorado by far from what I hear. They have a low-tax mantra, so when the economic meltdown hit they got into a lot of trouble. Apparently there's serious discussion about closing all of the libraries and parks and cutting back strongly on other government services, even police and fire. Either that or raise taxes, so something's going to give.

Mr. Flopnuts
01-05-2010, 12:55 PM
Nice city. It's very conservative politically and has a large military culture, as a couple of facts.

One thing of interest is that they're having a huge fiscal crisis right now, worst in Colorado by far from what I hear. They have a low-tax mantra, so when the economic meltdown hit they got into a lot of trouble. Apparently there's serious discussion about closing all of the libraries and parks and cutting back strongly on other government services, even police and fire. Either that or raise taxes, so something's going to give.

That's exactly the kind of stuff that I would want to know. I'm out of rep Mr. Rainman otherwise I'd have hit you with The Ron Jeremy Rep Stick.

BIG_DADDY
01-05-2010, 12:57 PM

I lived there for a couple years and this about says it all. It is absolutely beautiful as I am sure you already know. The fiscal thing is probably a good thing. There police department was very over zealous when I lived there so a cut back would have been received with open arms by me.

Donger
01-05-2010, 01:01 PM
Interestingly enough, someone else had a similar query a while back.

Here's the thread (http://chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=196670&highlight=colorado+springs).

Did Dayze move to the Springs or not?

shitgoose
01-05-2010, 01:06 PM
I lived there for a couple years and this about says it all. It is absolutely beautiful as I am sure you already know. The fiscal thing is probably a good thing. There police department was very over zealous when I lived there so a cut back would have been received with open arms by me.

Yeah, I really love the area. Compared to Wichita its like a different country being around the mountains and such. I like to ski, offroad, and hunt so those are big "pros" for me.

Garcia Bronco
01-05-2010, 01:08 PM
Anywher in Colorful Colorado is awesome. Certainly better than anything in the mid-west. Come on to the south west and live a better life.

BIG_DADDY
01-05-2010, 01:13 PM
Yeah, I really love the area. Compared to Wichita its like a different country being around the mountains and such. I like to ski, offroad, and hunt so those are big "pros" for me.

You will love it there then. Just make sure you walk the line. Dot your i's and cross your t's when it comes to the law. I liked everything else about living there other than the cops. Winter can be a pain at times as well.

BIG_DADDY
01-05-2010, 01:14 PM
Anywher in Colorful Colorado is awesome. Certainly better than anything in the mid-west. Come on to the south west and live a better life.

Tell that to the pit bulls Denver boy. :)

Garcia Bronco
01-05-2010, 01:18 PM

Except for Pit Bulls.

rockymtnchief
01-05-2010, 01:22 PM
I used to spend a bit of time there and doing nasty things to a hot lil Cuban gal. MMMMMMMMMMMM

Anyway, there used to be a lot of Chiefs fans that met up at the Hooters at the mall. That's where I'd catch most games. It's been six years ago. Hopefully, they're still there.

BIG_DADDY
01-05-2010, 01:23 PM
Except for Pit Bulls.

I really hope things have gotten better with your courts and cops since I have lived there but the very fact that they think it's OK to go in law abiding citizens houses and kill their family pet has me thinking otherwise.

Rain Man
01-05-2010, 01:26 PM
Maybe if the pit bulls got fake medical marijuana certificates they'd be safe. This city loves its drug users.

rockymtnchief
01-05-2010, 01:27 PM
Isn't this where balloon boy hails from? You might have trouble keeping the media off your lawn! :D

Donger
01-05-2010, 01:30 PM
Maybe if the pit bulls got fake medical marijuana certificates they'd be safe. This city loves its drug users.

Did you see this article?

Denver Pot Dispensaries: 390; Colo. Starbucks: 208 (http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/22124249/detail.html)
DENVER -- Marijuana advocates are hailing the Mile High City as "America's Cannabis Capital."

Denver smokes mega-cities like Los Angeles -- which has "Hollywood hype" and an estimated 1,000 medical marijuana dispensaries -- when the number of medical pot dispensaries are calculated per capita, according to the National Organization for the Reform of Marijuana Laws.

Indeed, as the Denver City Council took its first vote Monday night to regulate medical marijuana dispensaries, at least 390 dispensaries have applied for city sales tax license to sell medical pot as of Monday, acting City Treasurer Steve Ellington told TheDenverChannel.com.

That means Denver pot dispensaries outnumber by nearly 2-1 the 208 Starbucks in state of Colorado.

And there may be more dispensaries operating in Denver that haven't applied for a sales-tax license, Ellington added.

So, while the city of Los Angeles, with a population of 4.02 million, has one dispensary for every 4,065 residents, Denver (Pop. 598,707) boasts 1 dispensary per 1,535 residents.

In December alone, 200 dispensary entrepreneurs applied for Denver sales-tax licenses, Ellington said. The city is getting on average 25 sales-tax applications a day from dispensary operators.

Why the rush?

The draft ordinance, spearheaded by Councilman Charlie Brown, would bar dispensaries from operating within 1,000 feet of "any school or child-care establishment," or another pot dispensary. Dispensary owners also would have to undergo a criminal background check for felony convictions within the past five years.

But the draft ordinance would allow dispensaries that applied for a sales tax license before Dec. 15, 2009, to avoid the 1,000-foot restrictions.

That means a dispensary that was already licensed by that date and located near a school or child-care center could continue operating under the proposed law.

The City Council is scheduled to hold a public hearing and final vote on the dispensary regulation law Jan. 11, after allowing two hours of public comment.

NewChief
01-05-2010, 01:31 PM
Isn't this where balloon boy hails from? You might have trouble keeping the media off your lawn! :D

Nah. Balloon Boy was Ft. Collins.

BIG_DADDY
01-05-2010, 01:32 PM

Interesting. Certainly much more liberal than Colorado Springs.

Saccopoo
01-05-2010, 01:36 PM
I lived in Colorado Springs for 13 years. Biggest pile of shit town I've ever lived in. Absolutely hated the city. There wasn't one single redeeming feature that I can mention.

Nothing to do, the fundamentalist dominate the city; there are four military bases there which creates a low scale pay (last I checked it was 174th of all medium sized US cities in terms of median pay), a migratory, don't give a shit attitude and a higher crime rate and drug problem; there is nothing there in terms of culture, entertainment, nightlife, etc. The wind blows constantly, it's dusty as all hell, you are four hours away from the nearest ski lift (which means you are either leaving at 4 am or spending the money on a condo for the weekend), the women are ugly as shit (a bunch of military wife cast offs), people never leave their little enclaves, the town is dirty with a shit ton of homeless bridge trolls and beggars, the zoning laws are completely screwed (developers have the city council in their back pocket), the traffic congestion is the worst of any city of it's size, etc., etc., etc.

I moved from there three years ago and it was the best thing I've ever done. I have to go back to the Springs at least six times a year and nothing has changed - it's still a piece of shit town - a cutural, intellectual, social cesspool. Imagine Junction City five times it's size located next to a giant mountain that you can't ski on and you've got Colorado Springs. The only place I loathe more is Rock Springs, WY.

The Pikes Peak Hill Climb is really cool though and the airport is decently designed, though it's cheaper to fly out of Denver.

Dayze
01-05-2010, 01:37 PM
Did Dayze move to the Springs or not?

I/we're still considering it. my wife works in a call center evnironment; and they have an office in CS as well. it would be very simple for her - simply ask to be transferred and they'd do it. A few people from the OP ks office have already done so.

We both really like what we've read about the area; the reviews/commentary by folks from CP and the like really help too.

I'd say this year we're committed to staying here due to a lease, but we're still strongly considering it.

Dayze
01-05-2010, 01:39 PM
I lived in Colorado Springs for 13 years. Biggest pile of shit town I've ever lived in. Absolutely hated the city. There wasn't one single redeeming feature that I can mention.

Nothing to do, the fundamentalist dominate the city; there are four military bases there which creates a low scale pay (last I checked it was 174th of all medium sized US cities in terms of median pay), a migratory, don't give a shit attitude and a higher crime rate and drug problem; there is nothing there in terms of culture, entertainment, nightlife, etc. The wind blows constantly, it's dusty as all hell, you are four hours away from the nearest ski lift (which means you are either leaving at 4 am or spending the money on a condo for the weekend), the women are ugly as shit (a bunch of military wife cast offs), people never leave their little enclaves, the town is dirty with a shit ton of homeless bridge trolls and beggars, the zoning laws are completely screwed (developers have the city council in their back pocket), the traffic congestion is the worst of any city of it's size, etc., etc., etc.

I moved from there three years ago and it was the best thing I've ever done. I have to go back to the Springs at least six times a year and nothing has changed - it's still a piece of shit town - a cutural, intellectual, social cesspool. Imagine Junction City five times it's size located next to a giant mountain that you can't ski on and you've got Colorado Springs. The only place I loathe more is Rock Springs, WY.

The Pikes Peak Hill Climb is really cool though and the airport is decently designed, though it's cheaper to fly out of Denver.

uh oh.:D

Rain Man
01-05-2010, 01:39 PM
Did you see this article?

Yeah, I was too ashamed of my city to post it.

shitgoose
01-05-2010, 01:41 PM
My biggest concern at this point is figuring out what to do for a living if we move to Co Springs. With my wife going back to school I will be supporting us (wife, 2 kids) pretty much by myself. I am currently self employed and work exclusively in the aviation industry here in Wichita. I am pretty burned out on aviation so a change of scenery and occupation are appealing.

BIG_DADDY
01-05-2010, 01:43 PM

I would never do a night life thing there even if they had a great place because of the cops. They will do anything to bust somebody there. If I was single I would never live there. I don't ski and I love the mountains so there you go. Why did you stay for that long if it made that miserable?

Donger
01-05-2010, 01:43 PM
Yeah, I was too ashamed of my city to post it.

I had no idea we had so many sick people here.

BIG_DADDY
01-05-2010, 01:45 PM
My biggest concern at this point is figuring out what to do for a living if we move to Co Springs. With my wife going back to school I will be supporting us (wife, 2 kids) pretty much by myself. I am currently self employed and work exclusively in the aviation industry here in Wichita. I am pretty burned out on aviation so a change of scenery and occupation are appealing.

Good luck with that. I helped start a health club there called Pro Fitness. I have no idea what I would try to do if it wasn't for that.

Rain Man
01-05-2010, 01:45 PM
I had no idea we had so many sick people here.

I didn't either, but now I look around and see more and more people with bloodshot eyes and coughing and general malaise, so there must be some sort of epidemic happening.

shitgoose
01-05-2010, 01:46 PM

Interesting. One of the things I noticed the first time I went to Co Springs was the LACK of wind (compared to Wichita) and the bums.

shitgoose
01-05-2010, 01:47 PM
Good luck with that. I helped start a health club there called Pro Fitness. I have no idea what I would try to do if it wasn't for that.

Yeah. I know. Kind of the achilles heal of the whole endeavor.

ClevelandBronco
01-05-2010, 01:47 PM
I really hope things have gotten better with your courts and cops since I have lived there but the very fact that they think it's OK to go in law abiding citizens houses and kill their family pet has me thinking otherwise.

Which laws are they choosing to abide? I guess not the one that bans pit bulls.

BIG_DADDY
01-05-2010, 01:48 PM
Interesting. One of the things I noticed the first time I went to Co Springs was the LACK of wind (compared to Wichita) and the bums.

I don't remember any bums but I haven't lived there in a very long time. Seems like the winters would not be condusive to bumming around.

NewChief
01-05-2010, 01:49 PM

Heh. I didn't want to be discourating... but this is my impression of the Springs as well. It does have Garden of the Gods, though, which is first rate. Our best friends lived in the Springs when we lived in Ft. Collins, and we'd go visit them on occasion. We didnt' much care for it (though I did sort of like Manitou Springs).

BIG_DADDY
01-05-2010, 01:51 PM
Which laws are they choosing to abide? I guess not the one that bans pit bulls.

They had the dogs before the law. They have killed thousands.

http://blogs.westword.com/latestword/2009/10/leaked_photos_of_dead_pit_bull.php

Donger
01-05-2010, 01:53 PM
(though I did sort of like Manitou Springs).

Hippie!

ClevelandBronco
01-05-2010, 01:53 PM
They had the dogs before the law. They have killed thousands.

http://blogs.westword.com/latestword/2009/10/leaked_photos_of_dead_pit_bull.php

Yes, I'm aware of all that. I also don't care. It's a dog. And the owners are breaking the law.

BIG_DADDY
01-05-2010, 01:55 PM
Yes, I'm aware of all that. I also don't care. It's a dog. And the owners are breaking the law.

Well anyone who thinks that is OK is fucked up in the head. Speaking of shit cities Cleveland is right at the top of the list. Why anyone would live there is beyond me. Cleveland makes Colorado Springs look like paradise.

ClevelandBronco
01-05-2010, 01:57 PM
Well anyone who thinks that is OK is ****ed up in the head. Speaking of shit cities Cleveland is right at the top of the list. Why anyone would live there is beyond me. Cleveland makes Colorado Springs look like paradise.

Good thing I haven't been to Cleveland since 1973 then.

ClevelandBronco
01-05-2010, 01:59 PM
I'm just saying that your post should have left out the "law abiding" part.

BIG_DADDY
01-05-2010, 02:00 PM
Good thing I haven't been to Cleveland since 1973 then.

What's with the Cleveland Bronco then?

Garcia Bronco
01-05-2010, 02:04 PM

I have never heard of that and I agree with you.

ClevelandBronco
01-05-2010, 02:04 PM
What's with the Cleveland Bronco then?

I was there in 1973.

BIG_DADDY
01-05-2010, 02:05 PM
I'm just saying that your post should have left out the "law abiding" part.

These are good people who have not done anything wrong and either has their dog. To pass legislation that allowed this whole thing to happen is the crime. I was hoping someone would get offed in the prcess but no such luck.

Fortunately it looks like they are going to try and overturn the law.

Garcia Bronco
01-05-2010, 02:06 PM

Nothing to do? There is camping, hiking, rock climbing, skiing, snow boarding, hunting and all the stuff you'd fine in any other city that doesn't have an ocean front.

Garcia Bronco
01-05-2010, 02:07 PM

Seriously? Those are all over the place now.

ClevelandBronco
01-05-2010, 02:10 PM
These are good people who have not done anything wrong and either has their dog. To pass legislation that allowed this whole thing to happen is the crime. I was hoping someone would get offed in the prcess but no such luck.

Fortunately it looks like they are going to try and overturn the law.

Good people who haven't done anything wrong (except break the law). Oh well, I guess bad things sometimes happen to good people (who break the law).

A vocal minority has been trying to overturn the law since it became law. Maybe they'll succeed some day. In the meanwhile, pit bull owners who don't make other arrangements for their dogs are choosing to let those dogs live under the threat of possible extermination. I have no sympathy for irresponsible dog owners.

BIG_DADDY
01-05-2010, 02:10 PM
Seriously? Those are all over the place now.

Yea I probably should have stayed put. Hind sight 20/20 I helped open the first one and took off.

Saccopoo
01-05-2010, 02:16 PM
I would never do a night life thing there even if they had a great place because of the cops. They will do anything to bust somebody there. If I was single I would never live there. I don't ski and I love the mountains so there you go. Why did you stay for that long if it made that miserable?

I was married and my wife refused to move. God knows I tried though...I got divorced and all I left was a vapor trail heading out of town.

Seriously - the town is a competely cesspool. Most unfriendly people I've ever met, nothing to do, etc. It's really an odd city. I just used to think to myself that there couldn't be this many stupid, un-educated, myopic people in a single place...but there really are. Not a thing to do...and believe me, I tried. I attended the UCCS every once and a while for a class here and there in an attempt at some intellectual stimulation...the northern campus of Pikes Peak Community College is a better school. It's an adjunct of the University of Colorado system, but acts as a satellite school more than anything - no research facilities, etc. It's just a small satellite designed to take advantage of a geographical situation. They re-did the library and added some dorms for the first time ever in the early '00's, but it's nothing more than an accredited low grade community college. Colorado College is a very small pure Liberal Arts private school with a good hockey team.

It's dominated by chain restaurants because of the migratory aspect of the military and fundies that populate the town. Very few decent places to eat, and you can't find a meal after 9 p.m. One decent radio station operated out of the Colorado College, but even that's not very good in terms of alternative radio. It's a dinner at Applebees, go to the movies, be home by 9:30 and never speak to your neighbors kind of town. Fishing is good up at 11 Mile/Spinney Reservoir/South Platte River, but that's two hours out of Colorado Springs, and since Moe Fleckenstien closed the Knotty Pine Retaurant/Moe's Diner and Road Kill Museum in Divide, which had one of the greatest breakfasts ever, it's not even really worth making the trip up the mountain for fishing. Camping is abundant tough. And everyone is a dumbass Bronco fan, and they are worse about being blind, sanctimonious fans in Colorado Springs than they are even in Denver.

It's a low rent kind of town IMO.

I never had a problem with the police during my time there, so I can't comment on them other than the fact that they were being used by the federales to monitor and track/catalog protesters at the military bases and the county sheriff might be the most powerful man in Colorado Springs government.

Rain Man
01-05-2010, 02:20 PM
Saccopoo has obviously never spent time in Decatur, Illinois.

ClevelandBronco
01-05-2010, 02:21 PM

Or Cleveland, as I've read.

BIG_DADDY
01-05-2010, 02:22 PM
I was married and my wife refused to move. God knows I tried though...I got divorced and all I left was a vapor trail heading out of town.

Seriously - the town is a competely cesspool. Most unfriendly people I've ever met, nothing to do, etc. It's really an odd city. I just used to think to myself that there couldn't be this many stupid, un-educated, myopic people in a single place...but there really are. Not a thing to do...and believe me, I tried. I attended the UCCS every once and a while for a class here and there in an attempt at some intellectual stimulation...the northern campus of Pikes Peak Community College is a better school. It's an adjunct of the University of Colorado system, but acts as a satellite school more than anything - no research facilities, etc. It's just a small satellite designed to take advantage of a geographical situation. They re-did the library and added some dorms for the first time ever in the early '00's, but it's nothing more than an accredited low grade community college. Colorado College is a very small pure Liberal Arts private school with a good hockey team.

It's dominated by chain restaurants because of the migratory aspect of the military and fundies that populate the town. Very few decent places to eat, and you can't find a meal after 9 p.m. One decent radio station operated out of the Colorado College, but even that's not very good in terms of alternative radio. It's a dinner at Applebees, go to the movies, be home by 9:30 and never speak to your neighbors kind of town. Fishing is good up at 11 Mile/Spinney Reservoir/South Platte River, but that's two hours out of Colorado Springs, and since Moe Fleckenstien closed the Knotty Pine Retaurant/Moe's Diner and Road Kill Museum in Divide, which had one of the greatest breakfasts ever, it's not even really worth making the trip up the mountain for fishing. Camping is abundant tough. And everyone is a dumbass Bronco fan, and they are worse about being blind, sanctimonious fans in Colorado Springs than they are even in Denver.

It's a low rent kind of town IMO.

I never had a problem with the police during my time there, so I can't comment on them other than the fact that they were being used by the federales to monitor and track/catalog protesters at the military bases and the county sheriff might be the most powerful man in Colorado Springs government.

Yea the food wasn't the best.

ClevelandBronco
01-05-2010, 02:23 PM

Fundies don't know diddly about food.

Rain Man
01-05-2010, 02:23 PM
Or Cleveland, as I've read.

The river was on FIRE.

ClevelandBronco
01-05-2010, 02:26 PM
The river was on FIRE.

And that was only a couple of years before the mayor was on fire.

Ralph Perk set his own hair ablaze lighting a blowtorch to dedicate a bridge.

Probably one that would have carried fleeing citizens across the burning river.

Saccopoo
01-05-2010, 02:26 PM
Heh. I didn't want to be discourating... but this is my impression of the Springs as well. It does have Garden of the Gods, though, which is first rate. Our best friends lived in the Springs when we lived in Ft. Collins, and we'd go visit them on occasion. We didnt' much care for it (though I did sort of like Manitou Springs).

Fuck the Garden of the Gods. It was right in my back yard and the fucking wind would blow that soft, red igneous dust all over everything. My patio was covered in that shit every single day and it was all over inside of the house as well. It's cool to see the first time, and I hiked the area a lot with my daughter (and still do when I'm back there), but you end up covered in red dust if you get of those trails that they built about ten years ago. (You used to be able to drive through the middle of it - completely different layout now versus then - change for the better IMO.)

The initial visual is cool, but it's a very small area.

Manitou Springs - the ultra-liberal, hippy, wiccan enclave tourist trap that stands in direct opposition to the Neo-con Fundy powerhouse Mecca that is now Colorado Springs. And their (Manitou Springs) bars don't accept credit cards, so bring cash.

Saccopoo
01-05-2010, 02:27 PM

Been there. I've been a lot of places. And like I said, the only place that I'd put below Colorado Springs is Rock Springs, Wyoming. Seriously.

ClevelandBronco
01-05-2010, 02:28 PM
**** the Garden of the Gods. It was right in my back yard and the ****ing wind would blow that soft, red igneous dust all over everything. My patio was covered in that shit every single day and it was all over inside of the house as well. It's cool to see the first time, and I hiked the area a lot with my daughter (and still do when I'm back there), but you end up covered in red dust if you get of those trails that they built about ten years ago. (You used to be able to drive through the middle of it - completely different layout now versus then - change for the better IMO.)

I hope they consulted whichever Gods had jurisdiction.

Inspector
01-05-2010, 02:30 PM

Was your issues with the police all related to the dog laws?

I think it's very sad that they terminated the already existing dogs, especially if the owners weren't allowing them to run loose. For many, many people dogs are part of the family not unlike their human kids.

Saccopoo
01-05-2010, 02:33 PM
Nothing to do? There is camping, hiking, rock climbing, skiing, snow boarding, hunting and all the stuff you'd fine in any other city that doesn't have an ocean front.

Where would you suggest snow boarding or skiing in the Colorado Springs area?

Because, unless you want to be one of those extremists that tries to board the west side mini glacier on Pikes Peak that kills a guy every year or two, the closest place to ski in Colorado Springs that I know of is Monarch, and that's roughly three and a half/four hours away.

It's a tease...you have this gigantic 14,000 foot mountain in your backyard, but you can't ski it.

Garcia Bronco
01-05-2010, 02:36 PM
Where would you suggest snow boarding or skiing in the Colorado Springs area?

Because, unless you want to be one of those extremists that tries to board the west side mini glacier on Pikes Peak that kills a guy every year or two, the closest place to ski in Colorado Springs that I know of is Monarch, and that's roughly three and a half/four hours away.

It's a tease...you have this gigantic 14,000 foot mountain in your backyard, but you can't ski it.

You have to go into the mountains....obviously. There are what...50 14,000 foot peaks in Colorado. It will require more than a ten minute drive.

Saccopoo
01-05-2010, 02:38 PM
Good people who haven't done anything wrong (except break the law). Oh well, I guess bad things sometimes happen to good people (who break the law).

A vocal minority has been trying to overturn the law since it became law. Maybe they'll succeed some day. In the meanwhile, pit bull owners who don't make other arrangements for their dogs are choosing to let those dogs live under the threat of possible extermination. I have no sympathy for irresponsible dog owners.

Irresponsible dog ownership is one thing, blind, knee-jerk police state blanket reaction to a minutia of situations borders on Nazi level fascism/genocide.

Oh, a collie/cocker spaniel/golden retriever/whatever breed have you bit a kid...let's go force a mandate/law to kill off every single *insert breed here* in Denver. That's fucked up. Asinine.

ClevelandBronco
01-05-2010, 02:42 PM
Irresponsible dog ownership is one thing, blind, knee-jerk police state blanket reaction to a minutia of situations borders on Nazi level fascism/genocide.

Oh, a collie/cocker spaniel/golden retriever/whatever breed have you bit a kid...let's go force a mandate/law to kill off every single *insert breed here* in Denver. That's ****ed up. Asinine.

I'll bet you're a lot of fun at parties.

BIG_DADDY
01-05-2010, 02:46 PM

Oh, a collie/cocker spaniel/golden retriever/whatever breed have you bit a kid...let's go force a mandate/law to kill off every single *insert breed here* in Denver. That's ****ed up. Asinine.

Exactly

Frazod
01-05-2010, 02:47 PM
Saccopoo talks about Colorado Springs the way I talk about Norfolk.

Don't ever move to Norfolk, dude. :D

Saccopoo
01-05-2010, 02:49 PM
You have to go into the mountains....obviously. There are what...50 14,000 foot peaks in Colorado. It will require more than a ten minute drive.

But that's my point. You think that by moving to Colorado Springs you are going to enjoy all this skiing and winter sports, but it's such a pain in the ass to do it (four hour drive up the most frustrating stretch of highway you will ever drive which is the span of I-25 that runs from Colorado Springs to north Denver in winter conditions and then have to drive I-70 in packed skier jammed winter time or spend your entire vacation budget in order to secure a condo for the weeked in order to avoid seven plus hours of road tripping in a single day for an afternoon of skiing), that you will never do it after experiencing it just once. Nobody in Colorado Springs skis because it's such a pain in the ass to do it from there. I skied ten times more when I was at the University of Kansas for three years than what I did when I lived in Colorado Springs. You really have to drive a long ways to do anything in terms of the outdoors in Colorado Springs, which is something that you would never expect when you first see the city.

BIG_DADDY
01-05-2010, 03:01 PM
Was your issues with the police all related to the dog laws?

I think it's very sad that they terminated the already existing dogs, especially if the owners weren't allowing them to run loose. For many, many people dogs are part of the family not unlike their human kids.

No, the cops there are just overzealous on all fronts. Here is a couple examples. I am walking through the park downtown when a guy asks me if I know where some place is on his piece of paper. I didn't so I walk off. Cop pulls over and wants to search me for drugs. I get very angry. Next thing I know there are lots of cops there. I get cuffed and searched. When they find nothing they get mad and the first cop starts cussing at me telling me he knows he saw a drug transaction. The other guy ran. They got him after they searched me. Turns out he had a warrant but no drugs on him. They think he ditched the drugs. I sit in a car for the next hour while they search. Finally after being verbally berrated and having my entire day ruined they let me go.

I am sitting in a restaurant having dinner and a Long Island Iced Tea. Cops are eating in there too. I noticed they were looking at me so I wasn't going to drive. They finished and sat in their car for 20 minutes until I left. It was only 3 blocks to my pad so I just walked.

I also quit going to parties once I realized that if the cops knew they would sit on it. I could go on but that gives you an idea.

ClevelandBronco
01-05-2010, 03:04 PM
I know what you mean. There was this one time I was on my way to church and some guy across town had his door broken down and the cops just genocided his dog all over the family living room. Then I got waffles.

Inspector
01-05-2010, 03:08 PM
No, the cops there are just overzealous on all fronts. Here is a couple examples. I am walking through the park downtown when a guy asks me if I know where some place is on his piece of paper. I didn't so I walk off. Cop pulls over and wants to search me for drugs. I get very angry. Next thing I know there are lots of cops there. I get cuffed and searched. When they find nothing they get mad and the first cop starts cussing at me telling me knows he saw a drug transaction. The other guy ran. They got him after they searched me. Turns out he had a warrant but no drugs on him. They think he ditched the drugs. I sit in a car for the next hour while they search. Finally after being verbally berrated and having my entire day ruined they let me go.

I am sitting in a restaurant having dinner and a Long Island Iced Tea. Cops are eating in there too. I noticed they were looking at me si I wasn't going to drive. They finished and sat in their car for 20 minutes until I left. It was only 3 blocks to my pad so I just walked.

I also quit going to parties once I realized that if the cops knew they would sit on it. I could go on but that gives you an idea.

Wow, that does suck. Reminds me of when I got searched in Lexington Mo. because I had a headlight burnt out. That's when I found out that cops can search without a warrant.

Officer Asshole ....I mean Officer Lonnie Dodge (I still remember that jackasses name) told me to my face that if I didn't consent that he would bring out the dog and then they could search without consent. I told him that I thought that was true only if the dog alerted on something and he smirked while telling me that they were the ones to interpret the dogs reaction and that they WOULD search because they would say the dog alerted.

I lost respect for cops after that incident. And yeah, I know there are some good ones but I hold the good ones responsible too for not ensuring their ranks are clean.

I'm staying out of Colorado Springs.

BIG_DADDY
01-05-2010, 03:20 PM
Wow, that does suck. Reminds me of when I got searched in Lexington Mo. because I had a headlight burnt out. That's when I found out that cops can search without a warrant.

Officer Asshole ....I mean Officer Lonnie Dodge (I still remember that jackasses name) told me to my face that if I didn't consent that he would bring out the dog and then they could search without consent. I told him that I thought that was true only if the dog alerted on something and he smirked while telling me that they were the ones to interpret the dogs reaction and that they WOULD search because they would say the dog alerted.

I lost respect for cops after that incident. And yeah, I know there are some good ones but I hold the good ones responsible too for not ensuring their ranks are clean.

I hate cops like that. Never give them permission no matter what.

Garcia Bronco
01-05-2010, 03:23 PM
But that's my point. You think that by moving to Colorado Springs you are going to enjoy all this skiing and winter sports, but it's such a pain in the ass to do it (four hour drive up the most frustrating stretch of highway you will ever drive which is the span of I-25 that runs from Colorado Springs to north Denver in winter conditions and then have to drive I-70 in packed skier jammed winter time or spend your entire vacation budget in order to secure a condo for the weeked in order to avoid seven plus hours of road tripping in a single day for an afternoon of skiing), that you will never do it after experiencing it just once. Nobody in Colorado Springs skis because it's such a pain in the ass to do it from there. I skied ten times more when I was at the University of Kansas for three years than what I did when I lived in Colorado Springs. You really have to drive a long ways to do anything in terms of the outdoors in Colorado Springs, which is something that you would never expect when you first see the city.

There are 26 ski resorts and several within 50 miles of Colorado Springs. It's not easy getting out there and back, but even people in Denver at the mouth of 70 have the same problem.

Garcia Bronco
01-05-2010, 03:24 PM

Still tell them no.

Garcia Bronco
01-05-2010, 03:25 PM
Saccopoo talks about Colorado Springs the way I talk about Norfolk.

Don't ever move to Norfolk, dude. :D

Norfolk is a great city. I used to live there. Well great except for the squids. :)

ClevelandBronco
01-05-2010, 03:27 PM
And never do stupid human tricks for the camera during a DUI stop.

Frazod
01-05-2010, 03:27 PM
Norfolk is a great city. I used to live there. Well great except for the squids. :)

:mad:

Garcia Bronco
01-05-2010, 03:28 PM
:mad:

LOL

Saccopoo
01-05-2010, 03:30 PM
There are 26 ski resorts and several within 50 miles of Colorado Springs. It's not easy getting out there and back, but even people in Denver at the mouth of 70 have the same problem.

That's fine, but they don't have to drive 80 miles north just to get to Denver to get the privilege of then driving up I-70 to the ski resorts like the denizens of Colorado Springs do. It's the 80 mile drive that they have to take just to get to Denver that's the difference between the two.

If you live in Colorado Springs, you literally have to leave your house at 4 am in order to make sure that you are on the slopes by approximately 9 am. That ain't a lot of fun in an effort to try and have some fun.

Garcia Bronco
01-05-2010, 03:36 PM
That's fine, but they don't have to drive 80 miles north just to get to Denver to get the privilege of then driving up I-70 to the ski resorts like the denizens of Colorado Springs do. It's the 80 mile drive that they have to take just to get to Denver that's the difference between the two.

If you live in Colorado Springs, you literally have to leave your house at 4 am in order to make sure that you are on the slopes by approximately 9 am. That ain't a lot of fun in an effort to try and have some fun.

Colorado Springs is 50 miles from Denver. Plus you don't have to go all the way up to denver and take 70. There are other roads and you can cut through the mountains depending on the passes you go over. I get your point, but if you wanted to ski bad enough you'd get out there.

BIG_DADDY
01-05-2010, 03:42 PM

It's either that or you can just hang out at the park and get molested by their friendly local police department.

Saccopoo
01-05-2010, 04:03 PM
It's either that or you can just hang out at the park and get molested by their friendly local police department.

Well, in all honesty, I can see their point. Who else in Colorado Springs hangs out at city parks other than drug dealers and buyers? I mean other than the kids and their parents on the corner of Tejon and Platte at Uncle Wilbur's Fountain?

Actually, it's nice to hear that the cops were patrolling the parks. I know that the levels of undesirables in the parks was at a high level in Colorado Springs due to the high amount of vagrants and homeless, who the dealers use as mules and sellers for the drugs.

Garcia Bronco
01-05-2010, 04:05 PM
Colorado Springs due to the high amount of vagrants and homeless, who the dealers use as mules and sellers for the drugs.

This is my problem with Colorado in general. The government here encourages the behavior of being homeless and vagrant. Put these people in jail and have them clean the roads, shovel snow, and pay them a wage in leg irons. Whatever you do...don't encourage the behavior.

Saccopoo
01-05-2010, 04:12 PM
This is my problem with Colorado in general. The government here encourages the behavior of being homeless and vagrant. Put these people in jail and have them clean the roads, shovel snow, and pay them a wage in leg irons. Whatever you do...don't encourage the behavior.

The only place that I've seen it worse was in San Francisco, and that was much worse. But Colorado Springs is a damn near Mecca for pan-handlers and vagrants. And now it's also the dumping ground for a lot of the high level Iraq Invasion PTSS military guys.

You are talking about the same city who kept Ed Jones on as city councilman despite his presence at two cocaine busts, driving without insurance, and not paying federal taxes for ten plus years. In fact, they liked him so much, they elected him to State Senate as it's districts representative. I've never seen the obvious signs of a more blantantly corrupt/bought city government. It's like the wild west out there.

Then you've got guys like Doug "Screwdriver" Dean, Lionel Rivera, etc. What a political train wreck Colorado Springs is...yeesh:

http://home.conservativebabylon.com/category/doug-dean/

HemiEd
01-05-2010, 04:21 PM
Heh, fun thread to read. Lived there in 1955, it was a small town.

Last time I was back there, it just seemed like Denver had runneth over. The traffic seemed to be too much for the system.

BIG_DADDY
01-05-2010, 04:25 PM
The only place that I've seen it worse was in San Francisco, and that was much worse. But Colorado Springs is a damn near Mecca for pan-handlers and vagrants. And now it's also the dumping ground for a lot of the high level Iraq Invasion PTSS military guys.

You are talking about the same city who kept Ed Jones on as city councilman despite his presence at two cocaine busts, driving without insurance, and not paying federal taxes for ten plus years. In fact, they liked him so much, they elected him to State Senate as it's districts representative. I've never seen the obvious signs of a more blantantly corrupt/bought city government. It's like the wild west out there.

Then you've got guys like Doug "Screwdriver" Dean, Lionel Rivera, etc. What a political train wreck Colorado Springs is...yeesh:

It's been a long time since I was there. I don't recall it being that bad. That was the first and last time I ever walked through that park though. They were way out of line. I don't have a problem with them patrolling the park I just have an issue with them making up shit so they cuff and molest citizens just walking through.

ClevelandBronco
01-05-2010, 04:50 PM
...they cuff and molest citizens just walking through.

That may not have been the SFPD.

Rain Man
01-05-2010, 04:57 PM
Someday I want to see a full list of all the cities where Big Daddy has been stopped by the police. Maybe I should start a database or something.

TrickyNicky
01-05-2010, 04:57 PM
My cousins and family live there. It seems ok to visit, but my cousin told me the meth-bug hit them hard.

BIG_DADDY
01-05-2010, 05:05 PM
Someday I want to see a full list of all the cities where Big Daddy has been stopped by the police. Maybe I should start a database or something.

Florida is the worst by far. To be specific, Clearwater. It's like a 3rd world country. I think Colorado Springs was pretty bad but nothing like that. Medford Oregon where I grew up had more brutality cases against the local department than the rest of the state combined one year. I'm not sure how bad they are now. That's where I moved my family. Those are the only three places I have ever talked about here.

Rain Man
01-05-2010, 05:18 PM
Ah, yeah. Florida. I knew that you'd posted a rant about someplace in the south at one point.

BIG_DADDY
01-05-2010, 05:28 PM
Ah, yeah. Florida. I knew that you'd posted a rant about someplace in the south at one point.

I was only 18. They cuffed me and beat the shit out of me. Fucking cowards. When I was young I put myself in the wrong places for sure. I liked the parties, the girls and really enjoyed my youth to the fullest. Looking back now I can see why cops wouldn't like me. I was young and arrogant with a serious attitude but that does not excuse their predatory police tactics. I was a friggen kid for gods sake.

HerculesRockefell
01-05-2010, 05:32 PM

Dean? Jesus, he hasn't been relevant in like 5 years. I'm not even sure if he lives in the Springs anymore.

Wasn't a fan of his, but I love the use of the term "ousted" at that link when it then admits he was term-limited.

The Springs is a nice town if you're married and have a family, if you're single, it blows. It's one big suburb though, the traffic isn't as bad as some want to make it out to be, you just have to drive a hell of a long way to get from one side of town to the other.