PDA

View Full Version : Poop NT: Aubrayo Franklin

the Talking Can
01-05-2010, 01:00 PM
unrestricted free agent....

Players want Franklin re-signed

Tom FitzGerald, Chronicle Staff Writer
Tuesday, January 5, 2010

While packing up their belongings Monday at the 49ers' Santa Clara headquarters, some of the players lobbied strongly for the re-signing of nose tackle Aubrayo Franklin, one of the team's few unrestricted free agents.

"Oh man, I pray to God they keep Aubrayo," linebacker Patrick Willis said. "The coaches know where my heart is. I'd say he's the best nose (tackle) in the game. Nobody plays with better technique. Nobody knows the game better than he knows it."

Willis led the league in tackles and gives Franklin a lot of the credit. "He keeps my head from getting busted on every play," Willis said. "I make a lot of plays because of those three guys up front, especially Aubrayo. He holds double-teams and allows me to make a play."

Franklin, 29, figures to be in demand around the league. After four years with the Ravens and three with the 49ers, he has developed a reputation as a run stuffer. He helped the 49ers' defense rank sixth in the NFL against the run, and only Baltimore was stingier than the 49ers in yards per rushing attempt (3.6).

Franklin reiterated that he'd like to come back but said he and his agent will explore "the possibilities of going somewhere. I'm hoping we can get something worked out here. I'd like to be back, but if (the 49ers) don't want to do something, I'll have to look somewhere else."

He said he enjoyed his teammates and thinks they can reach the postseason next year. "I felt like we had a legitimate shot to make the playoffs (this year)," he said. Instead, the team finished 8-8 and was left to ruminate on several close losses.

"It leaves a bitter taste in your mouth," Franklin said. "But you can use it as gas to burn in the offseason when you're working out."

In a 3-4 defense, "it all starts with the nose," defensive end Justin Smith said. "I hope the organization does whatever they can to keep him, but he's going to be in high demand.

"He's one of the main reasons we were able to climb so high in all those (statistical) categories. If you don't have that nose, there's all sorts of running lanes, and linebackers aren't making all the plays they're making. A nose guard is a huge part of this."

Two other unrestricted free agents, cornerback Dre' Bly and offensive tackle Barry Sims, said they hoped to return, too. "I'd be crazy to say I wouldn't want to be part of a playoff-contending team," Bly, 32, said.

The 11-year NFL veteran added, "California is a beautiful place. We only scratched the surface of what this team can do. I really feel like the chemistry was coming together at the right time defensively. Everything was going sweet. I'm sad that the season ended."

Sims, 35, also finishing his 11th season, said he didn't know if he was in the 49ers' 2010 plans or not, but said he was much happier than he was in Oakland, where he played from 1999 through 2007. "There's definitely a will to get better here that I didn't see in my last few years with the Raiders," he said.

E-mail Tom FitzGerald at tfitzgerald@sfchronicle.com.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2010/01/05/SP8F1BDCPV.DTL

Mr. Laz
01-05-2010, 01:01 PM
sounds good to me

CaliforniaChief
01-05-2010, 01:06 PM
I'll take Patrick Willis too.

RustShack
01-05-2010, 01:07 PM
God I hope he slips away from the 49ers and comes to KC.

BigChiefFan
01-05-2010, 01:09 PM
He's a really good player, who will be in demand. We need a NT, somehow, some way. He'd be a good pick-up, but I believe he'll be one of the highest paid FAs and I'm not sure we should be willing to overpay for a 29 year old over-achiever.

The Franchise
01-05-2010, 01:10 PM
I'd take him.

eazyb81
01-05-2010, 01:12 PM
Finding an NT should be priority #1 this offseason. Our running game will improve immensely once we get someone adequate up front.

Franklin would be great, but he will be in high demand for sure.

Pitt Gorilla
01-05-2010, 01:13 PM
We HAVE to get a nose.

soundmind
01-05-2010, 01:21 PM
Is there any reason he doesn't re-sign in Cali??? He's in "high demand" for a reason, and I can't imagine they're not going to listen to Willis if he says he needs him.

CoMoChief
01-05-2010, 01:24 PM
If not Wilfork, then this guy is a must in the offseason.

The Franchise
01-05-2010, 01:26 PM
Is there any reason he doesn't re-sign in Cali??? He's in "high demand" for a reason, and I can't imagine they're not going to listen to Willis if he says he needs him.

Maybe they're aiming for Cody with one of their 1st round picks.

tyton75
01-05-2010, 01:28 PM
I still don't understand why we just don't send a scout to Japan and comb the ranks of sumo wrestlers...

not like you need a Nose to penetrate much.. just eat up the blockers

BigChiefFan
01-05-2010, 01:32 PM
If not Wilfork, then this guy is a must in the offseason.We could go stop-gap, until we draft and develop our own. Casey Hampton could buy us a little time.

eazyb81
01-05-2010, 02:47 PM
I bet Wilfork, Franklin, and Hampton end up getting tagged. Just our luck.

Micjones
01-05-2010, 02:52 PM
Wilfork's younger. Hopefully Cody slides Round 2.

bevischief
01-05-2010, 03:32 PM
he could fill a hole of need...
Posted via Mobile Device

CoMoChief
01-05-2010, 03:39 PM
I don't see Cody being a 3-down NT.

Buehler445
01-05-2010, 03:42 PM
He's a really good player, who will be in demand. We need a NT, somehow, some way. He'd be a good pick-up, but I believe he'll be one of the highest paid FAs and I'm not sure we should be willing to overpay for a 29 year old over-achiever.

Why? The only guy getting fat paid on the team are the 2 top 5 picks and Cassel. I'm not sure how LJ factors into our cap, but he's gone anyway.

BigChiefFan
01-05-2010, 03:48 PM
Why? The only guy getting fat paid on the team are the 2 top 5 picks and Cassel. I'm not sure how LJ factors into our cap, but he's gone anyway. I think he's going to want a FAT, LONG-TERM paycheck and I'm not sure, he's worth making a franchise player type contract, plus picks for compensation. I believe he'll be franchised.

Buehler445
01-05-2010, 03:50 PM
I think he's going to want a FAT, LONG-TERM paycheck and I'm not sure, he's worth making a franchise player type contract, plus picks for compensation. I believe he'll be franchised.

Fair enough. If he's franchised, I'm not sure he's worth sending picks for.

ModSocks
01-05-2010, 03:54 PM
Fair enough. If he's franchised, I'm not sure he's worth sending picks for.

If he's franchised, we're better off sending picks for Wilfork, if we're going to send picks at all.

Kyle DeLexus
01-05-2010, 03:54 PM
Wilfork's younger. Hopefully Cody slides Round 2.

I don't want Cody. The word on him is that he's lazy, thats exactly what you don't want from a 400lb person. There are some decent NT prospects out there this year and 3 guys that are going to be FA's. We should be able to find a NT and hopefully that will fix our run defense.

Buehler445
01-05-2010, 04:05 PM
If he's franchised, we're better off sending picks for Wilfork, if we're going to send picks at all.

I'm not real excited about sending ANYBODY picks.

I don't want Cody. The word on him is that he's lazy, thats exactly what you don't want from a 400lb person. There are some decent NT prospects out there this year and 3 guys that are going to be FA's. We should be able to find a NT and hopefully that will fix our run defense.

I'd agree with this. I don't want him. He may make a good player in the league, but I don't think he fits here.

googlegoogle
01-05-2010, 06:17 PM

yikes.

more on that later i guess when draft talk starts.

ModSocks
01-05-2010, 06:57 PM
I'm not real excited about sending ANYBODY picks.

I'd agree with this. I don't want him. He may make a good player in the league, but I don't think he fits here.

Hahaha Imagine Haley riding his fat ass into the dirt........Haley wouldn't draft a guy like Cody...it goes against everything he preaches...

ChiefsCountry
01-05-2010, 07:31 PM
I don't see Cody being a 3-down NT.

No NT is a 3 down player.

ChiefsCountry
01-05-2010, 07:32 PM
Hahaha Imagine Haley riding his fat ass into the dirt........Haley wouldn't draft a guy like Cody...it goes against everything he preaches...

Haley doesn't draft the players.