PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs What has two thumbs, and his own season review?

Sully
01-05-2010, 08:49 PM
This guy......

On to my thoughts on the aught-nine season.

Who to hire?

Once Carl was gone, I was pulling hard for Pioli. There will be a never-ending argument whether or not he was calling the shots in NE, was riding BB's coattails, or something in between (my guess). But my thinking was that being around that type of success for that long meant something.
After year one, I'm still on board, but I've looked to find the wire you pull to get the bus to stop a few times. Just to make sure I can reach it in an emergency...
Why?
I think Pioli was unprepared for how bad this team was going into the situation. I think he thought that, by adding a few vet leaders, and simply imposing a new way of doing things, an epically bad team would improve on performance alone. I think once camp began, and he had his "Oh shit!" moment, the panic set in, which began the revolving door of bottom-of-the-roster player moves. I think there's something to be said for the fact that he took the helm late, was working with a scouting staff he was unfamiliar with, and was stepping into a far more detailed job than what he had back East, but the blame still stops with him.
Looking forward, I think this off-season we'll see what he's really about. After one year, it's clear he isn't the all-knowing savior people like me believed he was going to be. But he's also not a complete idiot that some want to paint. He made some horrible decisions, but I'm still inclined to give him the benefit of the doubt that years of success (IMO) entitle him to.

Who to hire, Part II
When it became clear that Cowher (my first choice) and Spags (my second choice) were not going to be available, I also jumped on the Haley bandwagon. I explained it several times last offseason, but I based my like for him on the fact that he told Jerry Jones he would not be their HC if TO was still on the team, and I believed that showed a ton of integrity. There were some red flags that I basically ignored.
At camp I was very impressed with how things were run. It's easy to look back and make the sideline tantrums the entire story of Haley's relationships with players, but it's an incomplete story. (I recall one game where he lit up Bowe as he came off the field, and a few minutes later was showed on the bench sitting next to him talking to him, which is more of what a good coach (IMO) does) However, for a guy who was about discipline, doing the right thing, and having the right players, his team had FAR too many dumbass mistakes this year, that cannot be blamed solely on a lack of talent. His WR rotation throughout the year baffles me, his playing LJ baffles me, and some of his playcalling baffles me. When it comes to Haley, I have jumped off the bandwagon, and run to the nearest tree to hide behind, in case it turns around and comes looking for me. He's gonna be our coach, and I haven't reached the level of hate for him that I had for Herm, so I'm gonna root for him... but I don't expect a thing from him as the KC Head Coach.

Strategy decisions

Firing the OC 2 weeks before the season. Dumb. Fire him in February, or keep him on the staff. Those are the only two reasonable options.

Moving the the 3-4. All for it. No matter when you move, there is going to be an adjustment of the roster/ playing style, etc. You are NEVER ready to make the change. But, fad or not, I believe the 3-4 is the best defense to use in today's game to stop the more prevalent passing game and finesse running schemes. Teams will adjust to the 90s Cowboy-styles of offense in about 4 years, but till then, the 3-4 is the better defense, IMO. That said, a good DC can run any defense and succeed, so there's also a comfort factor (obviously) with the coach and staff.

Keeping LJ. Why? Why? Why> This isn't a hindsight 20/20 thing...I had these same questions about the move last year.

Cassell? I didn't like it before it happened. Once it happened, I talked myself into rooting for the guy, and have now realized it was a dumb move, considering the other options. Would that have meant a possible season watching Thigpen under center? Yeah...but as painful as that'd be, I still think it would have been the better move.

Jackson in the first. I know it would have been a HUGE reach...but I wanted Cushing. It's in the archives somewhere. But to be honest, once the Cassell trade happened, I wasn't excited about any of the possibilities.

In Season

Remember when Marty was the coach, and you knew the first play of a drive was ALWAYS going to be the swing pass to the fullback?
...that wasn't as painful as that awfully executed WR screen we've tried all year.

Derrick Johnson. I'm not sure, given full time playing, his stats would have been any better than getting 1/3 playing time. Something about the guy...he just doesn't get it.

Dwayne Bowe. Was awful at TC, and didn't get better.Already thought he was a star, and decided to rest on his laurels. I hope he learned his lesson.

Jamaal Charles. I'm still not sure he isn't Derrick Blaylock. I know I'll get killed for saying it, but that shoulder worries the shit out of me. Nice to see him do well, though.

Brandon Flowers. Gonna be a star.

Deberg_1990
01-05-2010, 08:52 PM
Cassell? I didn't like it before it happened. Once it happened, I talked myself into rooting for the guy, and have now realized it was a dumb move, considering the other options. Would that have meant a possible season watching Thigpen under center? Yeah...but as painful as that'd be, I still think it would have been the better move.

No worries, hes got Chad Pennington upside!

MahiMike
01-05-2010, 09:00 PM
Nice post. You started out great and kinda petered out there a bit. Couldn't agree more on LJ. I started a thread "It's all LJ's fault" in about week 4. So glad they invented twitter.

I think you're wrong about Haley, Cassel and Charles. Haley was a rookie. He has the whole offseason to look at film of himself. He's just too smart to not adjust. As for Cassel, the last few weeks showed what he can do when he has time. I'm hoping he becomes Roethlisberger as a kid. Remember when the Steelers running game came 1st? That kind.

As for Charles, he's Chris Johnson the 2nd. Studly. Very studly. He'll be in everyone's top 10 fantasy list.

OnTheWarpath15
01-05-2010, 09:06 PM
As for Cassel, the last few weeks showed what he can do when he has time.

Last quarter of the season:

83/144

57% completion percentage

942 yards

6.5 Yards per Attempt

3TD

7 INT

If that's showing us what he can do, I don't want to see any more.

tyler360
01-05-2010, 09:12 PM
Last quarter of the season:

83/144

57% completion percentage

942 yards

6.5 Yards per Attempt

3TD

7 INT

If that's showing us what he can do, I don't want to see any more.

ROFL

OnTheWarpath15
01-05-2010, 11:54 PM
Good write-up, Sully.

Don't agree with all of it, but much more than you'd guess.

Thanks for taking the time.

bevischief
01-06-2010, 07:06 AM
Good write-up, Sully.

Don't agree with all of it, but much more than you'd guess.

Thanks for taking the time.

:clap:

Jilly
01-06-2010, 10:15 AM
This guy......

On to my thoughts on the aught-nine season.

Who to hire?

Once Carl was gone, I was pulling hard for Pioli. There will be a never-ending argument whether or not he was calling the shots in NE, was riding BB's coattails, or something in between (my guess). But my thinking was that being around that type of success for that long meant something.
After year one, I'm still on board, but I've looked to find the wire you pull to get the bus to stop a few times. Just to make sure I can reach it in an emergency...
Why?
I think Pioli was unprepared for how bad this team was going into the situation. I think he thought that, by adding a few vet leaders, and simply imposing a new way of doing things, an epically bad team would improve on performance alone. I think once camp began, and he had his "Oh shit!" moment, the panic set in, which began the revolving door of bottom-of-the-roster player moves. I think there's something to be said for the fact that he took the helm late, was working with a scouting staff he was unfamiliar with, and was stepping into a far more detailed job than what he had back East, but the blame still stops with him.
Looking forward, I think this off-season we'll see what he's really about. After one year, it's clear he isn't the all-knowing savior people like me believed he was going to be. But he's also not a complete idiot that some want to paint. He made some horrible decisions, but I'm still inclined to give him the benefit of the doubt that years of success (IMO) entitle him to.

Who to hire, Part II
When it became clear that Cowher (my first choice) and Spags (my second choice) were not going to be available, I also jumped on the Haley bandwagon. I explained it several times last offseason, but I based my like for him on the fact that he told Jerry Jones he would not be their HC if TO was still on the team, and I believed that showed a ton of integrity. There were some red flags that I basically ignored.
At camp I was very impressed with how things were run. It's easy to look back and make the sideline tantrums the entire story of Haley's relationships with players, but it's an incomplete story. (I recall one game where he lit up Bowe as he came off the field, and a few minutes later was showed on the bench sitting next to him talking to him, which is more of what a good coach (IMO) does) However, for a guy who was about discipline, doing the right thing, and having the right players, his team had FAR too many dumbass mistakes this year, that cannot be blamed solely on a lack of talent. His WR rotation throughout the year baffles me, his playing LJ baffles me, and some of his playcalling baffles me. When it comes to Haley, I have jumped off the bandwagon, and run to the nearest tree to hide behind, in case it turns around and comes looking for me. He's gonna be our coach, and I haven't reached the level of hate for him that I had for Herm, so I'm gonna root for him... but I don't expect a thing from him as the KC Head Coach.

Strategy decisions

Firing the OC 2 weeks before the season. Dumb. Fire him in February, or keep him on the staff. Those are the only two reasonable options.

Moving the the 3-4. All for it. No matter when you move, there is going to be an adjustment of the roster/ playing style, etc. You are NEVER ready to make the change. But, fad or not, I believe the 3-4 is the best defense to use in today's game to stop the more prevalent passing game and finesse running schemes. Teams will adjust to the 90s Cowboy-styles of offense in about 4 years, but till then, the 3-4 is the better defense, IMO. That said, a good DC can run any defense and succeed, so there's also a comfort factor (obviously) with the coach and staff.

Keeping LJ. Why? Why? Why> This isn't a hindsight 20/20 thing...I had these same questions about the move last year.

Jackson in the first. I know it would have been a HUGE reach...but I wanted Cushing. It's in the archives somewhere. But to be honest, once the Cassell trade happened, I wasn't excited about any of the possibilities.

In Season

Remember when Marty was the coach, and you knew the first play of a drive was ALWAYS going to be the swing pass to the fullback?
...that wasn't as painful as that awfully executed WR screen we've tried all year.

Derrick Johnson. I'm not sure, given full time playing, his stats would have been any better than getting 1/3 playing time. Something about the guy...he just doesn't get it.

Dwayne Bowe. Was awful at TC, and didn't get better.Already thought he was a star, and decided to rest on his laurels. I hope he learned his lesson.

Jamaal Charles. I'm still not sure he isn't Derrick Blaylock. I know I'll get killed for saying it, but that shoulder worries the shit out of me. Nice to see him do well, though.

Brandon Flowers. Gonna be a star.

My husband impresses me. Although, I had these questions during the season and you never once gave me your opinion!!!! Acted like I was too hard on Cassel!!!!

And did the child get home towards the end, cuz you did peter out a little!!!!

Sully
01-06-2010, 02:38 PM
I just got tired of typing. I'll add more tonight.

Bill Lundberg
01-06-2010, 02:41 PM
cuz you did peter out a little!!!!

I'll take "Words a husband never wants to hear from his wife" for $800 Alex.

Demonpenz
01-06-2010, 03:12 PM
I'll take "Words a husband never wants to hear from his wife" for $800 Alex.

i like my peter out ...what what?