PDA

View Full Version : Other Sports One Rifle till your end of days..

MOhillbilly
01-06-2010, 08:40 AM
whats your choice?
You only get one, and it has to last you till yours pine for your loss.
add a tidbit of a rundown why. videos,specs, ect.

my choice- M1918 Browning Automatic Rifle- uh, its a full auto 30-06 machine-rifle. Yes its big, yes its heavy, yea its bulky as fuck, but my god the lead you can lay, tried & true... I want one sooo bad id maybe resort to criminal lengths to procure such a specimen.

-some one please imbed this-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0r5aWLJC0Q

Bane
01-06-2010, 08:42 AM
<object style="height: 344px; width: 425px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/O0r5aWLJC0Q"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/O0r5aWLJC0Q" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="425" height="344"></object>

pr_capone
01-06-2010, 08:42 AM
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/O0r5aWLJC0Q&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/O0r5aWLJC0Q&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Bane
01-06-2010, 08:49 AM
I'll take this one.

<object style="height: 344px; width: 425px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/bVdQ1SvFWiU"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/bVdQ1SvFWiU" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="425" height="344"></object>

seclark
01-06-2010, 08:49 AM
i've always been a 30-30 guy, but if i had to choose one rifle "for the rest of my days", i'd have to go w/my sks 7.62.

takes a beating. break it down and clean it up and it's ready to go again.
very fun to shoot.
sec

burt
01-06-2010, 08:51 AM
THIS ONE!

LOCOChief
01-06-2010, 08:54 AM
M1 Garand

ChiefsNWildcats
01-06-2010, 08:56 AM
I have a Ruger 10/22. That's my only gun. So by default I guess that means it is the one rifle I ever need. haha!

Now, if I can only remember where I left the lil fella...

MOhillbilly
01-06-2010, 08:58 AM
THIS ONE!

Only gun that a poor shot can hit the broadside of a barn with?

Hog's Gone Fishin
01-06-2010, 09:02 AM
No way I can make that decision, theres too many I love. I guess my top thre would be:

AR-10
M95 Barrett
Ruger .204
I really like my Mini-14 also.
Oh wait, .220 Swift

Dark Horse
01-06-2010, 09:04 AM
I'm torn between my Springfield m1a and my Weatherby Accumark .300 weatherby mag.

rockymtnchief
01-06-2010, 09:04 AM
I'll take this one.

<object style="height: 344px; width: 425px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/bVdQ1SvFWiU"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/bVdQ1SvFWiU" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="425" height="344"></object>

Exellent choice. I have one in a .308.

A semi-auto rifle would be nice, but I've seen 4-5 jam up in freezing weather. Keep it dependable with a bolt action.

MOhillbilly
01-06-2010, 09:07 AM

A semi-auto rifle would be nice, but I've seen 4-5 jam up in freezing weather. Keep it dependable with a bolt action.

i dont like the clips on the 700, so i went with a old style model 70 in 25-06.

burt
01-06-2010, 09:08 AM
Only gun that a poor shot can shoot through the broadside of a barn with?

FYP..... but I'd probably still miss!

Dark Horse
01-06-2010, 09:08 AM
I'll take this one.

I've got one of those in 25/06 its a sub MOA gun with good handloads.

MOhillbilly
01-06-2010, 09:11 AM
I've got one of those in 25/06 its a sub MOA gun with good handloads.

???

Dark Horse
01-06-2010, 09:13 AM
minute of angle or approx 1" at 100 yards.

rockymtnchief
01-06-2010, 09:15 AM
i dont like the clips on the 700, so i went with a old style model 70 in 25-06.

I have a model 70 in a .270 and love it. Other than my .22 and pistols, it's the gun I shoot the most.

Bane
01-06-2010, 09:17 AM

The one in the video is nicer than mine but I love my rem 700,and I love the bolt action.I do have a Marlin lever action 30/30,and its a good rifle,but my 30/06 is my favorite.

Redrum_69
01-06-2010, 09:21 AM
I guess I'll have to go with this one...

http://www.longmountain.com/inventory/M249SAW.jpg

we are talking about Modern Warfare 2 right?

Fish
01-06-2010, 09:21 AM
If I could only choose 1 gun to keep myself alive, I might go with a 30-30 as well. Very well rounded. Small enough that you could take rabbits or other varmints without destroying all the meat. But just enough whallop to take down something larger, like a dear or a hobo. It's just as effective with a scope or iron sights, depending on what range you're shooting. Light enough to carry anywhere and not wear you down. Can be accurate up to 200yds or so. Pretty reliable.

If we're talking wilderness survival, I'd probably go with something like this. If we're talking post-apocalypse war in the streets though, I might make a different choice.

It's hard choosing just one gun though...

Dark Horse
01-06-2010, 09:29 AM
If I could only choose 1 gun to keep myself alive, I might go with a 30-30 as well. Very well rounded. Small enough that you could take rabbits or other varmints without destroying all the meat. But just enough whallop to take down something larger, like a dear or a hobo. It's just as effective with a scope or iron sights, depending on what range you're shooting. Light enough to carry anywhere and not wear you down. Can be accurate up to 200yds or so. Pretty reliable.

If we're talking wilderness survival, I'd probably go with something like this. If we're talking post-apocalypse war in the streets though, I might make a different choice.

It's hard choosing just one gun though...

If were talking wilderness survival, a bolt action 22 would be my choice light

weight, you can carry lots of ammo, low noise level and can kill anything you

find to eat with a well placed shot. However in this day and age wilderness

survival probably just means staying warm and dry until help can get to your

gps coordinates.

Brock
01-06-2010, 09:34 AM
i've always been a 30-30 guy, but if i had to choose one rifle "for the rest of my days", i'd have to go w/my sks 7.62.

takes a beating. break it down and clean it up and it's ready to go again.
very fun to shoot.
sec

The SKS is hard to beat.

CoMoChief
01-06-2010, 09:35 AM
almost 14k posts and you don't know how to Embed a video yet??

rocks
01-06-2010, 09:36 AM
My MAK-47. Sprays lead shoots straight doesn't break easy tear down and simple as hell.

Nixhex
01-06-2010, 09:37 AM
Russian AK-47

or

Ruger Mini 14

Gonzo
01-06-2010, 09:40 AM
I already own it...

It's a Browning Automatic Rifle/ BAR
300 Winchester Magnumm - Safari
Made and Assembled in Belgum, (which is rare).
Currently shooting a 200 gr. ballistic tip.
It will take down any animal in North America.
It will also take down anything in Africa except for an Elephant, Rhino or Hippo.
I can load it down to a 150 gr. bullet and pop targets at over 600 yds without accounting too much for coefficient drop or windage seeing as that bullet will travel at almost 4,000 feet per second.
I can load it up to a 280 grain bullet if I want to take down Moose or Grizzley.

I just got a True Glow 24 power scope with a lighted reticle for those long shots at dusk.

http://www.browning.com/products/catalog/images/031001l.jpg

MOhillbilly
01-06-2010, 09:43 AM
almost 14k posts and you don't know how to Embed a video yet??

i pretty much dont care.

Dark Horse
01-06-2010, 09:45 AM
I already own it...

It's a Browning Automatic Rifle/ BAR
300 Winchester Magnumm - Safari
Made and Assembled in Belgum, (which is rare).
Currently shooting a 200 gr. ballistic tip.
It will take down any animal in North America.
It will also take down anything in Africa except for an Elephant, Rhino or Hippo.
I can load it down to a 150 gr. bullet and pop targets at over 600 yds without accounting too much for coefficient drop or windage seeing as that bullet will travel at almost 4,000 feet per second.
I can load it up to a 280 grain bullet if I want to take down Moose or Grizzley.

I just got a True Glow 24 power scope with a lighted reticle for those long shots at dusk.

http://www.browning.com/products/catalog/images/031001l.jpg

It will shoot through a 3 foot thick block of granite then pierce an egg with out breaking the shell :D

CoMoChief
01-06-2010, 09:47 AM
i pretty much dont care.

It's nothing more than copy/paste.

That's a nice rifle btw. I got a 12guage semi auto Browning Gold shotgun, lite as a feather. Love it.

raybec 4
01-06-2010, 09:49 AM
I have a mini 14 that I love, but the AK is the real deal, best suited for killing folks and the beating it can take is unreal.

rockymtnchief
01-06-2010, 09:55 AM
I have a mini 14 that I love, but the AK is the real deal, best suited for killing folks and the beating it can take is unreal.

No doubt the AK is an awesome weapon, but its one of the firearms I've seen jam in snowy/icey conditions. Unfortunately, it was with my buddy who has a very bad temper and it wasn't pretty. He got off two rounds while I fired 10 through my bolt action.

Cannibal
01-06-2010, 09:55 AM
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Ar0_um--LDQ&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Ar0_um--LDQ&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Dark Horse
01-06-2010, 09:56 AM

Nobody said anything about killing people. What's wrong with you sicko?

Gonzo
01-06-2010, 09:59 AM
It will shoot through a 3 foot thick block of granite then pierce an egg with out breaking the shell :D

Bingo...

From what I gather in the OP it's not armageddon, you just have only one rifle to use for the rest of your life. If people just want a rifle for home protection, that's cool. You can have all your AR 15's, M-16 and uzi's, (Uzi's are jamming pieces of shit btw).
I'll take my BAR and pick you off at 1,000 yds and kill the guy behind you for good measure all with one shot while you're spraying bullets all over the place that aren't accurate beyond 150 yds. The entrance wound will be almost unnoticeable, however the exit wounds will be the size of a coffee can.

Then I'll take said rifle and shoot an elk that will feed my family for 3 months and have warm fur blankets.

Suck it.

Nixhex
01-06-2010, 10:00 AM
No doubt the AK is an awesome weapon, but its one of the firearms I've seen jam in snowy/icey conditions. Unfortunately, it was with my buddy who has a very bad temper and it wasn't pretty. He got off two rounds while I fired 10 through my bolt action.

My friend has fired thousands of rounds through his AK and it never even thought about jamming. Could it of perhaps been the ammo he was using?

Dark Horse
01-06-2010, 10:02 AM

Don't you mean while you fired 1 shot

GoHuge
01-06-2010, 10:02 AM
My new Benelli R1 300 Win. Mag. Holds five, semi-auto so you can get back on target quickly if need be.

Gonzo
01-06-2010, 10:03 AM
My friend has fired thousands of rounds through his AK and it never even thought about jamming. Could it of perhaps been the ammo he was using?

Possibly...

However, Russian built AK's don't jam.

The ones built around sandy areas do.

(Also, the older ones from the 60's and 70's were built much better.)

Nixhex
01-06-2010, 10:04 AM
A great rifle I haven't seen mentioned yet is the German Mauser K98.

Gonzo
01-06-2010, 10:05 AM
My new Benelli R1 300 Win. Mag. Holds five, semi-auto so you can get back on target quickly if need be.

:clap:

Now we're talkin.
I totally forgot they started mass producing those. It's gotta be the ones with the wood stock. Those black plastic stocks look like cheap shit.

MOhillbilly
01-06-2010, 10:05 AM
Bingo...

From what I gather in the OP it's not armageddon, you just have only one rifle to use for the rest of your life. If people just want a rifle for home protection, that's cool. You can have all your AR 15's, M-16 and uzi's, (Uzi's are jamming pieces of shit btw).
I'll take my BAR and pick you off at 1,000 yds and kill the guy behind you for good measure all with one shot while you're spraying bullets all over the place that aren't accurate beyond 150 yds. The entrance wound will be almost unnoticeable, however the exit wounds will be the size of a coffee can.

Then I'll take said rifle and shoot an elk that will feed my family for 3 months and have warm fur blankets.

Suck it.

fyi - you kill last first and first last. that way the lead element never sees it comin.
just sayin.:)

Fish
01-06-2010, 10:06 AM

But why would you need to? :D

siberian khatru
01-06-2010, 10:06 AM
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/tzFnY1c1PQg&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/tzFnY1c1PQg&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Gonzo
01-06-2010, 10:07 AM
A great rifle I haven't seen mentioned yet is the German Mauser K98.

Got one.. 7MM.

Just had the action reworked and the barrel done in black chrome.
I also have a 2 tone pine and walnut stock.
Those are beautiful rifles. Mine was built in 1938. I'm getting a 2 inch group at 200 yards with it right now.
Those crazy Nazi's knew what they were doing with weapons.

Gonzo
01-06-2010, 10:08 AM
fyi - you kill last first and first last. that way the lead element never sees it comin.
just sayin.:)

ROFL

I think one shot should get it. I'll just wait for them to line up.

:)

MOhillbilly
01-06-2010, 10:08 AM

that cheap fuckin comblock ammo will cause jams. I had a russian sks and i dont believe it ever had a jam. i could shoot the tops off 2 liter bottler at 50 yds. fantastic weapon.

rockymtnchief
01-06-2010, 10:10 AM
Ammo was fine. It was wet and icey and froze up.
Don't you mean while you fired 1 shot

Nope, he shot once and jammed up. I shot 5 rounds and re-loaded. He shot one shot. I shot 5 and re-loaded. He threw the AK down and we called it a day. Amonth later, in 20 degree weather, it fired fine.

Nixhex
01-06-2010, 10:11 AM
Got one.. 7MM.

Just had the action reworked and the barrel done in black chrome.
I also have a 2 tone pine and walnut stock.
Those are beautiful rifles. Mine was built in 1938. I'm getting a 2 inch group at 200 yards with it right now.
Those crazy Nazi's knew what they were doing with weapons.

Hell yeah. I haven't built my collection up yet but my friend that owns the AK has. The Mauser he owns has Nazi symbols engraved in it. I love shooting it.

Gonzo
01-06-2010, 10:14 AM
Hell yeah. I haven't built my collection up yet but my friend that owns the AK has. The Mauser he owns has Nazi symbols engraved in it. I love shooting it.

Hmmm...

Better not shoot it too much.
It may be worth some $$$$$...

Nixhex
01-06-2010, 10:15 AM
I want one of these someday.

http://www.military.cz/russia/weapons/guns/dragunov/dragunov.jpg

Dark Horse
01-06-2010, 10:15 AM
Ammo was fine. It was wet and icey and froze up.

Nope, he shot once and jammed up. I shot 5 rounds and re-loaded. He shot one shot. I shot 5 and re-loaded. He threw the AK down and we called it a day. Amonth later, in 20 degree weather, it fired fine.

My bad, I thought you were making an online confession about the events that fateful day between you and your hotheaded friend, God rest his soul.

rockymtnchief
01-06-2010, 10:17 AM
My bad, I thought you were making an online confession about the events that fateful day between you and your hotheaded friend, God rest his soul.

ROFL
No, he was my boss at the time. I had to be nice.

Dark Horse
01-06-2010, 10:22 AM
ROFL
No, he was my boss at the time. I had to be nice.

Lucky for him you were still gruntled at the time.

rockymtnchief
01-06-2010, 10:24 AM
Lucky for him you were still gruntled at the time.

Lucky for him, he was also my bullriding sponsor! I needed his checkbook!

Dark Horse
01-06-2010, 10:28 AM
Lucky for him, he was also my bullriding sponsor! I needed his checkbook!

Maybe it's time to re-evaluate, is he really your friend if he pays to see you get on a bull?

rockymtnchief
01-06-2010, 10:31 AM
Maybe it's time to re-evaluate, is he really your friend if he pays to see you get on a bull?

He was usually in a chute ahead or behind me. He was just as stupid as me. :D

soopamanluva
01-06-2010, 10:32 AM
Barret .50 sniper rifle

Dark Horse
01-06-2010, 10:35 AM
Barret .50 sniper rifle

I'm surprized it took this long for someone to mention this rifle.

rockymtnchief
01-06-2010, 10:38 AM
Barret .50 sniper rifle

Fun to shoot and I almost bought a single shot bolt action for cheap last year. But they're not the greatest for survival, home protection, or affordable ammo at $4.00-$5.00 a round.

Plus, try packing that heavy bastard through the mountains hunting!:doh!:

wild1
01-06-2010, 10:41 AM
that cheap ****in comblock ammo will cause jams. I had a russian sks and i dont believe it ever had a jam. i could shoot the tops off 2 liter bottler at 50 yds. fantastic weapon.

i had an issue with a brand new ak misfeeding on cheap commie ammo, but after some heat cycles and a few hundred rounds, you couldn't make it jam if you wanted to.

Brianfo
01-06-2010, 10:41 AM
In my opinion the perfect rifle. You can fine tune it to the game that you are hunting by shooting different loads and it's pretty damn accurate. I have killed whitetails, a black bear, a muley, an antelope, and plan to take it elk hunting next fall in Wyoming. Wouldn't want for anything else.

Dark Horse
01-06-2010, 10:47 AM
Say Hello to my leetle ugh ugh, hold on umph whew there, friend :D

tooge
01-06-2010, 11:34 AM
One rifle to stay alive? I'd probably take my Ruger .22 simply cause even with balistic tips, the ammo is so damn cheap and easy to carry that I would (and do) have thousands of rounds. I also have a Ruger .270 that I really like as well. Great bolt action. I'd use it if I had to pick dudes off at 4oo yards but still rather have a solid .22 otherwise.

Radar Chief
01-06-2010, 12:29 PM
I'm surprised I'm the first to mention the FN FAL.
It's shooting the same 7.62 NATO round as the M-14 and M-60 so the accuracy, range and power are fantastic but with a composite stock that's much lighter than either of those two. Been used in a dozens of conflicts in various climate and maintains a strong reputation for reliability.
A bit big for varmint hunting but fine for game the size of deer up to just below the size of an elephant, in other words plenty of rifle for anything we'd realistically run into in North America.
The video MoHillbilly is showing is from the Military Channels "Top 10 Assault Rifles". The BAR came in 10th, the FN FAL came in around 4th, maybe 3rd, with the AK-47 being the best. An interesting factoid from that show, an adviser that worked with the Mujahideen in Afghanistan during the Russian invasion said that their cleaning of the AK consisted of pulling the bolt back and running a piece of rope that had been soaked in engine oil through the barrel. That's it. They are literally so reliable that cleaning is almost unnecessary.

Radar Chief
01-06-2010, 12:34 PM

I've never heard of that before. Not that I'm doubting you, it's just a first.
I have heard of that problem with SKS's but they have an open top bolt that can allow rain and snow to seep in and freeze causing a jam. My understanding is that because the AK-47 uses a side discharge bolt that the freezing issue is reduced. Guess that doesn't mean eliminated though does it?

Munson
01-06-2010, 12:42 PM
If I had to choose from my own personal collection, I could live with my 1953 Russian SKS that I just bought a few days ago. I think I had more fun shooting that than my AR-15. The SKS is rugged, accurate enough, holds 10 shots, and has a bayonet for any close encounters. All I need is a boat load of ammo and some stipper clips to go with it.

honorable mentions:
AK-47
AR-15
Marlin or Winchester 30-30 lever action rifle
my Winchester 9422 lever action rifle
any bolt action hunting rifle in 30-06 or .308 with some nice glass

MOhillbilly
01-06-2010, 01:34 PM
what the heck was that little .22 that came out in the late 70s early 80s? came apart and packed away in the buttstock. Do they still make these? thoughts on em.

Radar Chief
01-06-2010, 01:41 PM
what the heck was that little .22 that came out in the late 70s early 80s? came apart and packed away in the buttstock. Do they still make these? thoughts on em.

AR-7

http://www.henryrepeating.com/images/rifles/h002_survival_lg.jpg
http://www.henryrepeating.com/images/rifles/survival-open.jpg

IIRC, with everything packed in the stock it will also float in water.

Simply Red
01-06-2010, 01:50 PM
Mac-10

dtebbe
01-06-2010, 01:53 PM
I'm surprised I'm the first to mention the FN FAL.
It's shooting the same 7.62 NATO round as the M-14 and M-60 so the accuracy, range and power are fantastic but with a composite stock that's much lighter than either of those two. Been used in a dozens of conflicts in various climate and maintains a strong reputation for reliability.
A bit big for varmint hunting but fine for game the size of deer up to just below the size of an elephant, in other words plenty of rifle for anything we'd realistically run into in North America.
The video MoHillbilly is showing is from the Military Channels "Top 10 Assault Rifles". The BAR came in 10th, the FN FAL came in around 4th, maybe 3rd, with the AK-47 being the best. An interesting factoid from that show, an adviser that worked with the Mujahideen in Afghanistan during the Russian invasion said that their cleaning of the AK consisted of pulling the bolt back and running a piece of rope that had been soaked in engine oil through the barrel. That's it. They are literally so reliable that cleaning is almost unnecessary.

I've got a very nice FN/FAL parts kit I've been waiting to have assembled. With all the Obama madness it's hard to find a qualified gunsmith that doesn't have a huge waiting list.

DT

Radar Chief
01-06-2010, 02:09 PM
I've got a very nice FN/FAL parts kit I've been waiting to have assembled. With all the Obama madness it's hard to find a qualified gunsmith that doesn't have a huge waiting list.

DT

Sweet. I’ve looked at a Cetme, a cheap knock off, but was scared off by the reviews I’ve read.
One guy lost the flash suppressor after the very first shot with it and said it looked like it was only held on by something like JB Weld to begin with. :eek: :shake:

Dark Horse
01-06-2010, 02:42 PM

DT

I had an AR15 that I assembled from a parts kit it was a pretty decent little rifle despite the fact I had to substitute a spring from an ink pen for one that was missing from the kit.

rockymtnchief
01-06-2010, 02:51 PM
I had the Colt Match HBAR AR-15. Never had a lick of trouble with it. But, I never really abused it like someone at war would. I must've killed me 500 milk jugs with the thing! They didn't stand a chance!

MOhillbilly
01-06-2010, 02:52 PM
Sweet. I’ve looked at a Cetme, a cheap knock off, but was scared off by the reviews I’ve read.
One guy lost the flash suppressor after the very first shot with it and said it looked like it was only held on by something like JB Weld to begin with. :eek: :shake:

cetmes are junk.

Radar Chief
01-06-2010, 03:19 PM
For you Barrett fans.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/0ABGIJwiGBc&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/0ABGIJwiGBc&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Radar Chief
01-06-2010, 03:20 PM
cetmes are junk.

So I've been reading.
Too bad, I like the caliber and rifle’s action but it isn’t worth a shit if it falls apart on the first shot.

rockymtnchief
01-06-2010, 03:21 PM
For you Barrett fans.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/0ABGIJwiGBc&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/0ABGIJwiGBc&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

I have that saved on my 'puter at home. Cracks me up every time!

Radar Chief
01-06-2010, 03:24 PM
I have that saved on my 'puter at home. Cracks me up every time!

Yea, you can actually hear the whistle of that round tumbling in.
Any idea what kind of bullet was he shooting?
My first thought is, the military makes a .50 cal round with a hardened bullet, IIRC brass, as an armor piercing round. Since one of the guys mentioned, “No more steels” I’m thinking that’s what he’s talking about.

rockymtnchief
01-06-2010, 03:33 PM
My first thought is, the military makes a .50 cal round with a hardened bullet, IIRC brass, as an armor piercing round. Since one of the guys mentioned, “No more steels” I’m thinking that’s what he’s talking about.

I'm not sure if he meant the bullet or the target. The one I have saved mentions that they were shooting a man hole cover. Usually, a .50 will go right through it and keep going.

BTW...mine shows it in slo-mo and its easier to see the cloud of dust right out in front of him where the bullet hits the ground first. So...it hit his target, the ground, and then him! Scary!

MOhillbilly
01-06-2010, 03:34 PM

this has happened three times w/ the shootin truck. Buddy about lost an eye and ive taken one in the gut(9mm) and one in the leg(7.62).
You can see the bullet tumble in the air as its headed towards ya.

TrickyNicky
01-06-2010, 03:35 PM
So what would you guys recommend as a cheap but well made beginner rifle?

rockymtnchief
01-06-2010, 03:40 PM
this has happened three times w/ the shootin truck. Buddy about lost an eye and ive taken one in the gut(9mm) and one in the leg(7.62).

Hmmmm...so, obviously, if you're pissed and coming at me...I'm better off running than shooting you! I better go buy some new Nikes!;)

Radar Chief
01-06-2010, 03:41 PM

A .22 from a reliable manufacturer of your choice.
Mine is an old Winchester I got from my dad and is the rifle he learned to rabbit hunt with.

Radar Chief
01-06-2010, 03:43 PM
I'm not sure if he meant the bullet or the target. The one I have saved mentions that they were shooting a man hole cover. Usually, a .50 will go right through it and keep going.

BTW...mine shows it in slo-mo and its easier to see the cloud of dust right out in front of him where the bullet hits the ground first. So...it hit his target, the ground, and then him! Scary!

Ah, that makes sense. You can hear the ping of the bullet hitting a steel target. Weird that it didn’t just blast right through it.

MOhillbilly
01-06-2010, 03:44 PM

id go buy a cheap .22 from walmarts. singleshot,peepsite,pull to cock hammer.
When you can shoot a tree rat from acouple hundred yards with that then get ya something better.

Radar Chief
01-06-2010, 03:46 PM

Damn Mo. :eek:
Also, "shootin truck"? Is the truck your target or where you're shooting from?

rockymtnchief
01-06-2010, 03:46 PM
If you're truly new to shooting rifles, start with a .22, IMO. No kick, cheap ammo, and you can find one under $200 brand new. My buddy just bought his kid a bolt action single shot .22 at a pawn shop for $60 and it shoots straight.

MOhillbilly
01-06-2010, 03:48 PM
A .22 from a reliable manufacturer of your choice.
Mine is an old Winchester I got from my dad and is the rifle he learned to rabbit hunt with.

mine was handed down from my dad and is exactly as described above. You hunt tree rats w/ one of those for a few years and you will absolutely be profecient in marksmanship.
I hunted the tree rat population OUT, you couldnt find one on my place for ten years or better.

Radar, did your old man teach you the whistle trick when rabbit hunting?

MOhillbilly
01-06-2010, 03:53 PM
Damn Mo. :eek:
Also, "shootin truck"? Is the truck your target or where you're shooting from?

its my target. set the bitch on fire one night....:D

googlegoogle
01-06-2010, 03:56 PM
For you Barrett fans.

Seen that video 10 times before.

Still don't understand how it ricocheted like that.

Anyone want to explain it. I though lead and steel bullets fracture,absorb energy and deform when hitting iron.

I can only think they used some armor piercing bullet that didn't pierce it.

MOhillbilly
01-06-2010, 04:01 PM

Anyone want to explain it. I though lead and steel bullets fracture,absorb energy and deform when hitting iron.

semi armor piercing rounds will shed the outter jacket and richochet the inner steel core.

seclark
01-06-2010, 04:04 PM

love that pic...reminds me of the old bonnie and clyde movie.
sec

ChiefsOne
01-06-2010, 04:04 PM
I think I'll hold on to my 25-06 til the end of time. Had it all my life, my dad bought it in around '72 and gave it to me as a teenager. Redfield scope, gun is in great shape and scope is awesome!

rockymtnchief
01-06-2010, 04:05 PM

I've always thought it was a triple ricochet. If you watch in front of him you'll see that it returns at him from the left (not from straight on). So, I assume, it glances off some sort of hard target, ricochets off a rock or something hard, comes back from his left, hits the hard dirt, and hits him.

Radar Chief
01-06-2010, 04:07 PM
Radar, did your old man teach you the whistle trick when rabbit hunting?

No but I have heard of it. Never successfully used it though, I’m not a very good whistler.

Radar Chief
01-06-2010, 04:08 PM

Is that a Ford Ranger? Good use for it. :thumb:

MOhillbilly
01-06-2010, 04:15 PM
No but I have heard of it. Never successfully used it though, I’m not a very good whistler.

a short 'whoop' will make em stand up just the same as a sharp whistle.

MOhillbilly
01-06-2010, 04:16 PM
Is that a Ford Ranger? Good use for it. :thumb:

ya its a ranger.

more like down ranger.

raybec 4
01-06-2010, 04:17 PM
ya its a ranger.

more like down ranger.

That's freakin hilarious because we used to have an old Bonneville that my brother bought just for the engine block that we used for the same thing.

Radar Chief
01-06-2010, 04:19 PM
a short 'whoop' will make em stand up just the same as a sharp whistle.

Really, I hadn't heard of that one.
Have you ever called in tree rats? That's something I've always wanted to try. I’ve also heard that you can use a hawk whistle and they will expose their possition because they’ll start barking to warn others that there's a predator in the area.

Otter
01-06-2010, 04:20 PM
M1A Scout .308

Tough choice but I think that would be it...

MOhillbilly
01-06-2010, 04:24 PM
Really, I hadn't heard of that one.
Have you ever called in tree rats? That's something I've always wanted to try.

ya i just make a bark sound w/ my mouth. kinda like a donald duck sneeze. Works pretty well any other place than mine. The ones on my place are wiley..
pic of the truck fire...

Radar Chief
01-06-2010, 04:26 PM
ya i just make a bark sound w/ my mouth. kinda like a donald duck sneeze. Works pretty well any other place than mine. The ones on my place are wiley..
pic of the truck fire...

ROFL Natural Selection.
The ones dumb enough to answer your call didn’t live to pass on their genes. ;)

jiveturkey
01-06-2010, 04:30 PM
This seems like as good a place as any to ask this - what would you recommend for a hunting noob that wants to start deer/rabbit/other tasty animal hunting?

I've googled some of the suggestions in this thread but most of them seem out of my price range. I was hoping to stay under $1000.

MOhillbilly
01-06-2010, 04:34 PM
This seems like as good a place as any to ask this - what would you recommend for a hunting noob that wants to start deer/rabbit/other tasty animal hunting?

I've googled some of the suggestions in this thread but most of them seem out of my price range. I was hoping to stay under $1000.

savage over/under, mines a model 46 .410-.22.

i think new england sells em in larger bores/calibers. The also carry a line that interchanges bore/caliber barrels. pretty decent w/ a fairly wide range.
edit- NEF's is called a handi-rifle.

jiveturkey
01-06-2010, 04:36 PM
That's an interesting set up. I'll look into it.

Grassy ass! :)

RAWR
01-06-2010, 04:38 PM
Remington 700 in an ot six..I like the composite stock because of the many times I fall on my ass on these hills and rocks. Over-Under Weaver scope mounts are a must and NEVER use a balistic tip in the brush.

rockymtnchief
01-06-2010, 04:42 PM

For wabbits I use a .22. For deer I use my .270. That's just me.

Hog's Gone Fishin
01-06-2010, 05:12 PM

A really, really sweet rifle is the savage .17, I put the "sweet 17" scope on mine. When sighted in they are accurate as hell. I've probably shot 1000 prarie dogs and 500/600 Jack rabbits.
one day we had shot about 30 Jack's and were just nailin EVERYTHING, you know, one of those days. I spotted a Jack about 100 yards out and just as I got my scope on him he took off full speed from the left going to the right. I put my line of sight about 10 yards out in front and just as soon as he entered the scope i squeezed off. He did about 6 cart wheels. when we got out to him he'd been hit right in the temple. I wish I'd gotten that on Video.

For coyote type stuff A Ruger .204 is great. the bullet travels at 4200 fps like a .220 Swift. When it hits something the bullet just explodes. we were shooting prarie dogs with it and it was blowing them up like you had shoved a stick of dynamite in their ass.

dtebbe
01-06-2010, 05:38 PM

Well, this thread made me go gunsmith shopping again.. and I may have found one with a minimal wait!

DT

Radar Chief
01-06-2010, 05:41 PM
Deer hunting is pretty involved, Jive. You have some friends/family to show you the ropes?

Abba-Dabba
01-06-2010, 05:44 PM
AK103

honorable mention

M14/M1A

Radar Chief
01-06-2010, 05:49 PM
Well, this thread made me go gunsmith shopping again.. and I may have found one with a minimal wait!

DT

:thumb:

Vinny
01-06-2010, 06:06 PM
M-14 all the way!

Hog's Gone Fishin
01-06-2010, 06:12 PM
M-14 all the way!

Welcome Vinny, You ever jacked off a pig ?

'Hamas' Jenkins
01-06-2010, 07:26 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fAHXosoNlvo&feature=related

dtebbe
01-06-2010, 07:33 PM
Deer hunting is pretty involved, Jive. You have some friends/family to show you the ropes?

I laugh when I hear people say that. The first time I went deer hunting it was the last day of season and I decided I wanted to go squirrel hunting (wanted to try out my newly built 10/22). For the hell of it, I slung my .30-06 on my back and took it with me. I was making all kinds of noise shooting the hell out of squirrels (got 10 or 12). Late in the afternoon I sat down to take a break against a big oak tree that was at the top of hill looking down on a pond that was in the valley, and then heavy tree cover up the other side of the hill, maybe for about 20 yards, and then a fence line along an open pasture.

I was sitting there just day dreaming looking at the pond, when I saw the reflection of a deer walking right along that fence line. It was a doe, and not a very big one, but it was meat and that's what I was looking for. I underestimated the distance and basically blew the bottom of it's stomach off, followed the trail of blood and low and behold it was dead in the bottom of the biggest hollow on the farm. Drug it out with the 4 wheeler.. and it made some killer sausage.

Now what was hard about that? :D

DT

jiveturkey
01-06-2010, 07:41 PM
My family is a bunch of limp dicks and my friends are mainly city slicker.

I figured that step one would involve buying a gun, then taking a hunting class, then going out to a friend's land and shooting shit, then finding someone stupid enough to take me hunting with them.

Did I miss any steps?

Hog's Gone Fishin
01-06-2010, 07:51 PM

I figured that step one would involve buying a gun, next drink some beer,then taking a hunting class,then drink some beer, then going out to a friend's land and shooting shit,then drink some beer, then finding someone that likes beer, stupid enough to take me hunting with them.

Did I miss any steps?

Yeah, I filled it in for ya.

HonestChieffan
01-06-2010, 07:51 PM
http://photos-g.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-snc1/v2633/214/84/753589260/n753589260_1515313_2192519.jpg

How about one of these?

boogblaster
01-06-2010, 08:00 PM
Anything in a 22-mag .. will kill anything .. cheap to shoot .. lite too carry ....

Rukdafaidas
01-06-2010, 09:22 PM
22-250

LOCOChief
01-06-2010, 09:39 PM
M1 Garand, NATO round (plenty of ammo at a decent price) 30-06 semi auto that never, ever ever jams. Has good balistics, substantial knockdown and a variety of loads.

the weapon was good enough for the USMC and from the old combat guys I've had the pleasure to talk to, it was the weapon of choice.

PastorMikH
01-06-2010, 11:06 PM
Thompson Center Encore Carbine.

I'll take barrells in 22-250, 270 Win, and 300-06 for starters.

xbarretx
01-06-2010, 11:13 PM
Hmm, id go with my 1895G 45-70 ...... or my 30-06 in either Savage (w/ accu trigger or my old Bicentennial Rem 700)

MOhillbilly
01-07-2010, 08:08 AM
M-14 all the way!

Bout time you showed up!

MOhillbilly
01-07-2010, 08:11 AM
Welcome Vinny, You ever jacked off a pig ?

this guy would eat the buggers out of a dead mans nose and then ask for seconds.

Fishpicker
01-07-2010, 08:26 AM
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/jcE0yNwcg10&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/jcE0yNwcg10&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

.308 Galil would be my first choice

Dark Horse
01-07-2010, 08:41 AM
Yeah, I filled it in for ya.

The 1st step is safety after you have mastered that then you start drinking beer. :shake:

Radar Chief
01-07-2010, 09:06 AM
I laugh when I hear people say that. The first time I went deer hunting it was the last day of season and I decided I wanted to go squirrel hunting (wanted to try out my newly built 10/22). For the hell of it, I slung my .30-06 on my back and took it with me. I was making all kinds of noise shooting the hell out of squirrels (got 10 or 12). Late in the afternoon I sat down to take a break against a big oak tree that was at the top of hill looking down on a pond that was in the valley, and then heavy tree cover up the other side of the hill, maybe for about 20 yards, and then a fence line along an open pasture.

I was sitting there just day dreaming looking at the pond, when I saw the reflection of a deer walking right along that fence line. It was a doe, and not a very big one, but it was meat and that's what I was looking for. I underestimated the distance and basically blew the bottom of it's stomach off, followed the trail of blood and low and behold it was dead in the bottom of the biggest hollow on the farm. Drug it out with the 4 wheeler.. and it made some killer sausage.

Now what was hard about that? :D

DT

Yea, but isn’t that how it always works? When you’re not looking for them there they are.
Ron White has a funny bit on this topic. Talks about how his brother in law is a hard core deer hunter then Ron smacks one with a van, with the headlights on, horn blaring, in the middle of the road and says, “Yea, that’s a real wiley creature you’re after.”

ChiefJustice
01-07-2010, 09:10 AM
http://www.justbarkingmad.com/army_boomstick.jpg

Alright you Primitive Screwheads, listen up! You see this? This... is my boomstick! The twelve-gauge double-barreled Remington. S-Mart's top of the line. You can find this in the sporting goods department. That's right, this sweet baby was made in Grand Rapids, Michigan. Retails for about a hundred and nine, ninety five. It's got a walnut stock, cobalt blue steel, and a hair trigger. That's right. Shop smart. Shop S-Mart. You got that?

I know it's not technically a rifle.....but,still.

Actually,my Winchester 94 is the only rifle I would ever want for hunting game or dispatching zombies.

Radar Chief
01-07-2010, 09:13 AM

I figured that step one would involve buying a gun, then taking a hunting class, then going out to a friend's land and shooting shit, then finding someone stupid enough to take me hunting with them.

Did I miss any steps?

Yea, but I think Hog Farmer filled in pretty well. ROFL
Main thing is to take a Hunters Safety Course of course, you’ll need that to get a hunting license anyway.