PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Weis agrees to become OC for KC

Pages : [1] 2

Sure-Oz
01-06-2010, 05:17 PM
PER ESPNNEWS!

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4802526 (credit dtrain for the link)
Sources: Weis accepts job with Chiefs
Comment Email Print Share
By Chris Mortensen
ESPN
Archive

KANSAS CITY, Mo. -- Charlie Weis has agreed to become the offensive coordinator of the Kansas City Chiefs, according to team and league sources.

Weis could be named to the position within the next 24 to 48 hours, the sources said.

Weis will be reunited with head coach Todd Haley, with whom he shared an office when both were young assistants with the New York Jets. Weis also will be reunited with Chiefs general manager Scott Pioli, who was the Patriots vice president of player personnel when Weis was the offensive coordinator for three Super Bowl championships before going to coach at Notre Dame.

AFC West blog

Williamson ESPN.com's Bill Williamson writes about all things AFC West in his division blog.

• Blog network: NFL Nation

The Bears had also been in the mix to hire Weis as offensive coordinator but the Chiefs won out.

Haley ran the offense in his first year with the Chiefs after dismissing offensive coordinator Chan Gailey. Haley had expressed a desire to find a coordinator so he could better manage his head coaching responsibilities.

Weis was dismissed last fall with a 35-27 record in five seasons at Notre Dame.

"Charlie's a guy I have a great amount of respect for as a coach," Haley said Wednesday at his final news conference of the season. "He's a coach that system-wise, I would say we're as close as you can be. Charlie's a guy I consider a friend and I've talked to throughout the year, no different from some of the other guys I lean on for things and advice."

Haley has begun a staff evaluation and said he has already released offensive line coach Joe D'Allessandris and defensive line coach Tim Krumrie. Many fans also hope defensive coordinator Clancy Pendergast will be replaced, possibly by former Cleveland coach Romeo Crennel.

Haley was noncommittal about Crennel and Pendergast.

"No conversations in that order to this point," he said.

The emergence of running back Jamaal Charles, voted the team's MVP, gives the offense something to build on next year.

"I really believe we were able to lay a foundation for the Kansas City Chiefs," Haley said. "We were able to set expectations for our players of what's expected of them both schematically and offseason, in season and practice -- the way we're going to do things as a team on a consistent basis. I believe that foundation was laid.

"It was a very difficult year, a year we were able to make progress, as evidenced by the way the season wound down."

The Chiefs are expected to be busy in the offseason trying to fill gaping needs, including defensive back, wide receiver, linebacker, defensive line and tight end.

They pick fifth in April's draft. The could have picked third, but instead ended Haley's rookie year on a rousing high by beating Denver 44-24 in the season finale.

Chris Mortensen is a senior NFL analyst for ESPN. The Associated Press contributed to this report.

SDChiefs
01-06-2010, 05:18 PM
For whom?

DeezNutz
Overrated. /JD 3003030232/

:)

Halfcan
Gotta be better than Haleys playground ball-lol

Buck
The Patsification Continues...

siberian khatru
Can't wait to see this reposted 3-4 times during the night.

Sure-Oz
01-06-2010, 05:19 PM
FOR THE CHIEFS SILLLAAYY

CaliforniaChief
01-06-2010, 05:19 PM
For whom?

ROFL

Thig Lyfe
01-06-2010, 05:20 PM
TO THE GRAVY BOAT!!!!!

ClevelandBronco
Can't wait to see this reposted 3-4 times during the night.

You don't have to wait.

OnTheWarpath15
Considering ESPN said Bruce Arians had been fired in Pittsburgh, and then had to go, "WHOOPS, SORRY!" I'll wait until it's official and a statement is released by the team.

LaChapelle
01-06-2010, 05:21 PM
They had to get him signed
before the cranes were done at Arrowhead

-Too soon?

Smed1065
So Haley can learn......

BigRock
I can't imagine he'd be horribly wrong on KC coaching matters in back to back seasons, but it seems Chris Mortenson is the one saying this. Which means the ESPN News thing could add the word "might" at any point, just like it did with Shanahan last year.

Hog's Gone Fishin
Listening to Weis speak on NFL network many times he's appear very intelligent. I can feel good about this. Anybody got his career achievement list handy ?

Archie Bunker
01-06-2010, 05:22 PM
The best move of the Pioli era. Love the hire.
Posted via Mobile Device

warrior
01-06-2010, 05:22 PM
:thumb:Good News----

keg in kc
01-06-2010, 05:23 PM
In with the traditional "another ****ing Patriots stooge/should've hired somebody young and hungry/this ****ing sucks".

booger
01-06-2010, 05:23 PM
The giants suprisingly fired Mike Waufle their DL coach. He'd be a good get.

DeezNutz
01-06-2010, 05:24 PM
In with the traditional "another ****ing Patriots stooge/should've hired somebody young and hungry/this ****ing sucks".

I'm betting that Weis is still hungry.

Red Beans
01-06-2010, 05:25 PM
He's fat. We'll be good as long as he doesn't accidentally eat Haley.

keg in kc
I'm betting that Weis is still hungry.You make a good point.

Mr. Laz
weis suck ass!!!!

or not :p

Marcellus
01-06-2010, 05:26 PM
In with the traditional "another ****ing Patriots stooge/should've hired somebody young and hunger/this ****ing sucks".

You are so right. I don't want the guy that helped develop Brady from a 6th round pick to all world QB in 2 years.

Some young hungry no name would have been much better. Maybe we could get Todd Haley as our OC ....oh wait......

Reaper16
Updated mock draft, 01/06/10:

1.) Jimmy Clausen, QB, Notre Dame
2a.) Golden Tate, WR, Notre Dame
2b.) Scott Walker, chef du cuisine, Culinary Institute of America

LaChapelle
Is he a booth or sideline guy
for swearing's sake

CaliforniaChief
01-06-2010, 05:27 PM
I do think that Weis' hiring speaks well of Haley's comfort with himself. If he had insecurities, bringing a guy with name recognition like Weis would be a serious threat. But I'm glad Haley has the sense to bring in an OC who can say "Hey Todd, I'm glad that Castille to Castle pass worked in Madden '10, and Castille to Castle sounds good, but it's a really bad idea."

siberian khatru
01-06-2010, 05:27 PM

LMAO

Mecca
01-06-2010, 05:28 PM

It's really to bad this isn't a year or 2 from now Kyle Rudolph and Michael Floyd, I'd take them.

Mr. Laz

can you hear Coogs masturbation furiously at his keyboard?

OnTheWarpath15

FTR, if in fact this happens, and it all but seems like a formality at this point, I think Weis is a good get. This time around, I think they actually got the best guy for the job.

Crennel, OTOH?

Not so much.

DeezNutz
I do think that Weis' hiring speaks well of Haley's comfort with himself. If he had insecurities, bringing a guy with name recognition like Weis would be a serious threat. But I'm glad Haley has the sense to bring in an OC who can say "Hey Todd, I'm glad that Castille to Castle pass worked in Madden '10, and Castille to Castle sounds good, but it's a really bad idea."

The more cynical view would be to say that Haley, despite what he says publicly, had no choice and that Pioli made this decision, after seeing Haley shit himself every Sunday.

But, whatever.

As of today, the Chiefs are better.

siberian khatru
01-06-2010, 05:29 PM

Or it means Pioli put a gun to Haley's head and said "Charlie's coming here, it's the Patriot Way. Capice?" And that will fuel months of rumors that the coach and GM haven't spoken to each other since January. :D

Mr. Laz
Is he a booth or sideline guy
for swearing's sake
booth i believe

i wonder if he is doing QB's too?

Direckshun
This makes our 5th overall pick veeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeery interesting, assuming Clausen somehow falls past the Redskins.

Mecca
This team better find a DC because if we're stuck with Pendergast all of this means nothing.

CaliforniaChief
01-06-2010, 05:30 PM
This team better find a DC because if we're stuck with Pendergast all of this means nothing.

Word.

Bill Lundberg
Considering ESPN said Bruce Arians had been fired in Pittsburgh, and then had to go, "WHOOPS, SORRY!" I'll wait until it's official and a statement is released by the team.

this

Direckshun
I think the Rams might go with Suh instead of Clausen, but it's very unlikely the Redskins pass on QB, and with Locker going back to school, I don't think there's any way Clausen falls to us.

DeezNutz
01-06-2010, 05:31 PM

We don't need to go that far.

If this team has an '09 repeat in the draft and FA, all of this means nothing.

58kcfan89
01-06-2010, 05:31 PM
I'm excited about this. Now bring in Romeo and the offseason's off to a great start.

Titty Meat
01-06-2010, 05:32 PM
It's not official until Nick Athan says it.

OnTheWarpath15
I think the Rams might go with Suh instead of Clausen, but it's very unlikely the Redskins pass on QB, and with Locker going back to school, I don't think there's any way Clausen falls to us.

I'd actually be shocked if the Rams don't take Suh.

Titty Meat
Kcchiefs.com has confirmed it? According to Soren Petro.

Mecca
We don't need to go that far.

If this team has an '09 repeat in the draft and FA, all of this means nothing.

That too, so Scott Pioli better do more than eat spaghetti this offseason.

Mr_Tomahawk
I'd actually be shocked if the Rams don't take Suh.

Haven't they[Suh/Rams] been already talking numbers?

'Hamas' Jenkins
01-06-2010, 05:33 PM
Not my first choice, but far from my last.

I remember him on the sidelines in NE, which could make for some awesome fireworks with Haley.

The only thing that concerns me is the very high % that Haley gets shitcanned after next year and we give our Rooney interview to Crennel and the job to Weis.

FWIW, they mentioned this on The Doug Gottlieb Show, and the words were as follows:

"You get the feeling that Scott Pioli is treating this like The Blues Brothers. Lets get the band back together."

Titty Meat

How bout Chicken Spadini?

Sure-Oz
Apparently Haley was the one pushing to get Weiss, that is a surprise that he would be the one and not Pioli imo.

warrior
this

Its all over ESPN------:rolleyes:

'Hamas' Jenkins

There is a less than 5% chance that Pioli admits he fucked up with Cassel this quickly.

ChiefsCountry
01-06-2010, 05:34 PM

Redskins will go after Vick. He fits Shanny's offense perfect.

DeezNutz
"You get the feeling that Scott Pioli is treating this like The Blues Brothers. Lets get the band back together."

There's no question that this is the case.

So, fine: no excuses.

Mecca

I remember him on the sidelines in NE, which could make for some awesome fireworks with Haley.

The only thing that concerns me is the very high % that Haley gets shitcanned after next year and we give our Rooney interview to Crennel and the job to Weis.

FWIW, they mentioned this on The Doug Gottlieb Show, and the words were as follows:

It's the 52nd incarnation of the NWO.

CaliforniaChief

Last year one of the hot coaching names was Todd Bowles from Miami. Do you think he would be a good DC for us? I mean, he does fit the Pioli Rule requirement of Miami, NE, Arizona, or Dallas.

keg in kc
01-06-2010, 05:35 PM
FTR, if in fact this happens, and it all but seems like a formality at this point, I think Weis is a good get. This time around, I think they actually got the best guy for the job.

Crennel, OTOH?

Not so much.Whether Crennel is the best guy or not is debatable, but I think it's safe to say he'd be a much, much more qualified hire than Pendergast. I mean, shit, we've had a 4-3 coordinator running the 3-4 all year.

Although in the end, I think these coaching hires are primarily window dressing, and the real improvement, if there's going to be any, will come from personnel moves. I have always thought - and will always think - that talent wins games in the end. Regardless of who the coaches are. Guys can sometimes be coached up (or down), but I've always believed that at the end of the day, great players make great coaches.

SDChiefs
I'm betting that Weis is still hungry.

The only reason he is coming is for the KC BBQ.

carlos3652

but you trust Athan?

booger
Al Groh could be in play as well, havn't heard much of him and where he's going to end up. I think the Phins have one of their LB coaches leaving so they could very well get him instead.

Titty Meat
There is a less than 5% chance that Pioli admits he ****ed up with Cassel this quickly.

Hopefully Cassel cheats on his wife and she bashes out the windows in his Suv. That'll get him shit canned.

Mr. Laz
PER ESPNNEWS!

Weis accepts job with Chiefs

B_Ambuehl does not approve this message

Direckshun
01-06-2010, 05:36 PM
There is a less than 5% chance that Pioli admits he ****ed up with Cassel this quickly.

I would think Weis gives him an out, wouldn't you.

Dayze
to the ship!

hope it's a big ship

'Hamas' Jenkins
So, fine: no excuses.

Just wait...

Mecca
01-06-2010, 05:37 PM
So will Haley make him go to fat camp too?

aturnis
YAY!

keg in kc
I would think Weis gives him an out, wouldn't you.You don't get an out for a player you brought in yourself. If this was a Leinart situation it would be different, but Cassel's his hand-picked guy.

-King-
He'll also be our starting center. Great news. 2 needs filled with one hire.
Posted via Mobile Device

bevischief
01-06-2010, 05:38 PM

THIS

DeezNutz
Earlier today, someone posted that the "right 53" now means pants size.

Pretty good...

ChiefsCountry

Nope. Cassel will be the last man standing other than Pioli. He dug his own grave with Cassel.

HolmeZz
It's really to bad this isn't a year or 2 from now Kyle Rudolph and Michael Floyd, I'd take them.

Heh, with the exception of running back, Weis is probably downgrading from an offensive skill position standpoint. Clausen, Tate, Floyd, and Rudolph would probably all be upgrades for this offense.

'Hamas' Jenkins

It's possible, but very, very low.

Let's not forget that this is the same team that had Cassel give a PC where he bashed all of the fans for getting on him, and who graded him w/o a single mistake in a game where he threw 4 interceptions.

Besides, with fat Charlie's "decided schematic advantage" we could run Cassel out there and win 12 games a year.

I still think it's gonna be Terrance Cody. Too many connections, too myopic of a draft record.

-King-
01-06-2010, 05:39 PM
If weis eats cassel, can we get out of paying him 63 million?
Posted via Mobile Device

Titty Meat
01-06-2010, 05:39 PM
There will be alot of animosity between Whitlock & Weis over the last donut.

keg in kc
01-06-2010, 05:40 PM
Cody would be even worse than Okung. I don't think either happens.

Mecca
Heh, with the exception of running back, Weis is probably downgrading from an offensive skill position standpoint. Clausen, Tate, Floyd, and Rudolph would probably all be upgrades for this offense.

I don't disagree, I do think Rudolph and Floyd will be outstanding NFL players though.

The Franchise

I'd take all four of them. Like you said....they're all instant upgrades.

Direckshun
It's possible, but very, very low.

Let's not forget that this is the same team that had Cassel give a PC where he bashed all of the fans for getting on him, and who graded him w/o a single mistake in a game where he threw 4 interceptions.

Besides, with fat Charlie's "decided schematic advantage" we could run Cassel out there and win 12 games a year.

I still think it's gonna be Terrance Cody. Too many connections, too myopic of a draft record.

Cynicism, Thy Name is Hamas.

The Franchise
01-06-2010, 05:41 PM
I don't disagree, I do think Rudolph and Floyd will be outstanding NFL players though.

Hopefully we can grab Floyd next year.

bevischief
01-06-2010, 05:41 PM
The only reason he is coming is for the KC BBQ.

We have lots of it too...:D

Titty Meat
01-06-2010, 05:42 PM
Hamas do you really think this team can win 12 games with Cassel?

bevischief
01-06-2010, 05:42 PM
So will Haley make him go to fat camp too?

The greatest loser...

Direckshun
01-06-2010, 05:43 PM
I'd put the Chiefs chances of picking up Clausen at about 1% before the Weis hire.

I don't know where I'd put it now. 15%? 20%? I'm more optimistic on that front than most.

It's about 1% chance he falls to us, though. So it's moot.

Mr. Laz
Cynicism, Thy Name is Hamas.http://gargarstegosaurus.files.wordpress.com/2009/07/hamlet-and-friend1.jpg

keg in kc
Hamas do you really think this team can win 12 games with Cassel?This team couldn't win 12 games with Peyton Manning.

They gots lots to do.

ChiefsCountry

Just wait Berry will on board as well and we take the fat turd from Bama.

Titty Meat
This aint good for Mecca's USC.

Iowanian
I'm not going to say he's going to make the chiefs the 2003 offense, but this move makes alot of sense.

I think this is a good start for the offseason. CW can get his ass in here, start working with scouts, attend the allstar games and have a jump on the time to help get "his guys" for the draft.

Similar systems, previous history.....and he's got legit NFL OC experience.

Mecca
01-06-2010, 05:44 PM
Just wait Berry will on board as well and we take the fat turd from Bama.

If that happens, I will turn off the tv and go mow the lawn.

keg in kc
01-06-2010, 05:44 PM
If that happens, I will turn off the tv and go mow the lawn.I'd probably break my TV. With my forehead.

Mecca
01-06-2010, 05:45 PM
This aint good for Mecca's USC.

What?

Titty Meat
Now the Chiefs don't have to draft McCalin. They can dick around for a few years and draft the Hawaiian guy Weis recruited this year whos a beast :)

booger
I'm not going to say he's going to make the chiefs the 2003 offense, but this move makes alot of sense.

I think this is a good start for the offseason. CW can get his ass in here, start working with scouts, attend the allstar games and have a jump on the time to help get "his guys" for the draft.

Similar systems, previous history.....and he's got legit NFL OC experience.

pretty much how i feel about it.

Titty Meat
01-06-2010, 05:46 PM
What?

I will bet Chicago goes after Jeremy Bates.

Deberg_1990
cant wait to see Brady Quinn in Chiefs Red!

-King-

If I were you i'd stay away from the lawn mower and all other things sharp and with blades.
Posted via Mobile Device

talastan
Why would we necessarily jump on Clausen. Didn't Weis work with later draft picks for QBs in all of his tenures. Didn't he also work with Cassel in New England? Just curious.....

Mecca
Bates was kind of bland as an OC this year to be honest with you.

Titty Meat
01-06-2010, 05:47 PM
Bates was kind of bland as an OC this year to be honest with you.

Didn't he have to be with a freshmen QB?

Mecca
01-06-2010, 05:47 PM
If I were you i'd stay away from the lawn mower and all other things sharp and with blades.
Posted via Mobile Device

I fully expect the team to do something epically retarded, that is the Chiefs way.

Terribilis
01-06-2010, 05:48 PM
How bout Chicken Spadini?
"Chicken Spadini will travel" /clogged artery

FAX
Weis is fine, but this doesn't help us fix the sod at Arrowhead.

FAX

soundmind
I think this hire helps immensely when April rolls around.

KC kid

I am sure your mom will appreciate you doing something around the house.

FAX
01-06-2010, 05:49 PM
Weis is fine, but it doesn't keep people from standing up at games.

FAX

Mecca
Weis can do commercials for Gunts.

Bill Lundberg
Its all over ESPN------:rolleyes:

No, it says "Sources" which when coming from ESPN mean about as much to me as Nick Athan's "Spies".

It's probably a done deal, but it would be nice to see it somewhere else

Deberg_1990
Weis is fine, but this doesn't help us fix the sod at Arrowhead.

FAX

So we should have hired George Toma as offensive coordinator??

Titty Meat
What do you guys think about Bowe working with Weis? I just don't see them working together.

ChiefsCountry
This is a good hire for the Chiefs. Weis is a solid offensive coordinator, can't blame them too much on this one. I wonder if they will bring in Brady Quinn? If they can get him from Cleveland for say a 5th round pick - it might be worth it.

Fritz88
01-06-2010, 05:51 PM
Pandergast out or we are going nowhere.

'Hamas' Jenkins
01-06-2010, 05:51 PM
Hamas do you really think this team can win 12 games with Cassel?

If you put him in a Baltimore 2000 type situation, maybe.

Matt Cassel is just a guy. That's all he is. The hubris that it takes to install him as the handpicked guy and give him that contract before he'd taken a snap is astronomical.

FWIW, I fully expect us to run the 2002 variation of the Patriots O. If you guys remember the '02 opener was the opening of Gillette Stadium. The Patriots came out in shotgun and just slung the ball around all game (and all year), never throwing more than 10 yards downfield.

That game the guys in the booth started the first wholesale blowing of Weis for his scheme in that game, which helped them beat Pittsburgh. That's where the myth of Weis was born.

Of course they went 9-7 that year and missed the playoffs, but....

Sure-Oz
01-06-2010, 05:53 PM
I think the Weis hire is very good. However, I want to caution fans that the personnel in NE was vastly better than the Chiefs have.

per bob fescoe twitter

luv
:thumb:

ModSocks
What do you guys think about Bowe working with Weis? I just don't see them working together.

why not? Any WR should be able to work with any OC. It's not like we're talking about a QB here.

Mr. Laz
01-06-2010, 05:54 PM
Pandergast out or we are going nowhere.:rolleyes:

Titty Meat
01-06-2010, 05:55 PM

Matt Cassel is just a guy. That's all he is. The hubris that it takes to install him as the handpicked guy and give him that contract before he'd taken a snap is astronomical.

FWIW, I fully expect us to run the 2002 variation of the Patriots O. If you guys remember the '02 opener was the opening of Gillette Stadium. The Patriots came out in shotgun and just slung the ball around all game (and all year), never throwing more than 10 yards downfield.

That game the guys in the booth started the first wholesale blowing of Weis for his scheme in that game, which helped them beat Pittsburgh. That's where the myth of Weis was born.

So you liked the hire.

bevischief
Weis can do commercials for Gunts.

For your (insert company name) the official buffet of the Chiefs...

googlegoogle
We are NotreDame now.

Mecca
01-06-2010, 05:56 PM
For your (insert company name) buffet...

He better give us royalties.

HolmeZz

At 8 o'clock at night?

Titty Meat
why not? Any WR should be able to work with any OC. It's not like we're talking about a QB here.

Isn't the guy you throw the ball to 5 yards down the field and let him make plays. Theres alot of value there to be traded.

Bill Lundberg
cbssportsline.com
foxsports.com
cnnsi.com
kcchiefs.com

None of the above are reporting this. Surely it would get some mention if it were done right?

Mecca
01-06-2010, 05:57 PM
At 8 o'clock at night?

That's the best time to do it!

ModSocks

It's funny that you mention that. I keep hearing about how weis has the same offensive philosophy has Haley, but Haley attacks downfield while Weiss dinks and dunks his way downfield.

I don't understand how there philosophies are the same, but ok. If Haley says they're the same and Haley's hiring him....ok, sure.

Mr_Tomahawk
cbssportsline.com
foxsports.com
cnnsi.com
kcchiefs.com

None of the above are reporting this. Surely it would get some mention if it were done right?

Haley pretty much gave it away during the presser this afternoon during his ball washing of weis

BigRedChief
01-06-2010, 05:58 PM
No, it says "Sources" which when coming from ESPN mean about as much to me as Nick "Assclown" Athan's "Spies".

It's probably a done deal, but it would be nice to see it somewhere else:cuss: I told the Planet this 3 days ago.

Mecca
01-06-2010, 05:59 PM
Haley pretty much gave it away during the presser this afternoon during his ball washing of weis

I'm surprised he could find his balls.

'Hamas' Jenkins
So you liked the hire.

It's ok. It's not terrible, but it's not the home run people are claiming it to be, either.

I still think we're on the fast track to building a team with a ceiling of 10 wins and a first round playoff exit. Or as Chief fans call it, utopia.

Bill Lundberg
:cuss: I told the Planet this 3 days ago.

So you're the source?

ModSocks
01-06-2010, 06:00 PM
Isn't the guy you throw the ball to 5 yards down the field and let him make plays. Theres alot of value there to be traded.

No. Bowe IS the guy you throw the ball to 5 yards downfield and let home make a play. That's exactly his game. He is a big body that usually breaks the first tackle. He doesn't have elite speed to spread the field, which is probably why he struggled a bit in Haley's system.

Gaily used Bowe in that short passing game, possibly the same way Weiss may use him.

DeezNutz

Well done, dude.

FAX
Hiring Weis is fine, but it doesn't keep you from puking on your shoes.

FAX

bevischief
He better give us royalties.

Leftover food for kids charity ...

Titty Meat
01-06-2010, 06:01 PM
It's ok. It's not terrible, but it's not the home run people are claiming it to be, either.

I still think we're on the fast track to building a team with a ceiling of 10 wins and a first round playoff exit. Or as Chief fans call it, utopia.

You going to training camp next year? We're gonna get drunk before practice and hurl fat jokes at Charlie.

SDChiefs

I'm sorry, did you say something?

rockymtnchief
cbssportsline.com
foxsports.com
cnnsi.com
kcchiefs.com

It's the Chiefs. Nobody reports anything they do unless they need a filler in their news.:(

Mr. Laz
i think the hiring of Weis could allow the Chiefs to select clausen and get away with it.

that said, i doubt clausen drops to 5th ... but if he does the Chiefs just say "When a talent drops to you sometimes you take a player you don't necessarily look at as a primary need. The fact that we have a coach that is very familiar with the talent makes the selection even easier"

:shrug:

Mr. Laz
01-06-2010, 06:02 PM
don't worry BRC ... we believe you, we love you, we need to caress ...

eh, i've said too much. :redface:

'Hamas' Jenkins
You going to training camp next year? We're gonna get drunk before practice and hurl fat jokes at Charlie.

I go to St. Joseph two times per year.

Once, to celebrate birthdays on my wife's dad's side of the family w/ her grandparents, and once to do her dad's side of the family Christmas.

You couldn't draw me into that shit hole with a fucking tractor beam otherwise.

The Franchise

Rep man....rep.

Bill Lundberg
01-06-2010, 06:03 PM
It's the Chiefs. Nobody reports anything they do unless they need a filler in their news.:(

Yes, it's the Chiefs, but it also indirectly involves Notre Dame and the Patriots so if it were "official" everyone would be reporting it.

Direckshun
01-06-2010, 06:03 PM

If Berry's off the board, I think you have to go Spiller or Clausen, assuming either are still there.

Mr. Laz
01-06-2010, 06:04 PM
Yes, it's the Chiefs, but it also indirectly involves Notre Dame and the Patriots so if it were "official" everyone would be reporting it.http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4802526

HolmeZz
Clausen could certainly fall to #5, particularly now that he's going to need surgery and won't be able to throw for teams until April(best case scenario).

'Hamas' Jenkins
To be honest, the Rams would probably be best served in the short term (and maybe even the long term) by signing Jason Campbell in FA and drafting Suh. Campbell gets a lot of shit, but he's actually not a bad player.

blazzin311
Well, I for one am okay with this hire. On a side note, does anyone think this hire might improve the chances of the Chiefs drafting Golden Tate somewhere to use as a percy harvin/ or perhaps welker type/ slot WR?

nychief
Golden Tate, please.

Bill Lundberg
01-06-2010, 06:05 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4802526

Wow. Earth-shattering (According to sources)

blazzin311
Golden Tate, please.

That's what I'm thinking.

DrRyan

What the **** leads you to this deduction? Please break it down for us all...

By hiring Weis we have fast tracked to a team that can win no more than 10 games? Huh? :)

Jerm
01-06-2010, 06:06 PM
Like the hire a lot...excited for the offseason to get going now. I think he'll be nothing but good for Cassel and help turn him around.

Also promising that the Chiefs didn't reall wait around and were proactive in bringing Weis into the fold...although I suspect this has been in the works for a while.

Time to shitcan Clancy and find a legit DC now.
Posted via Mobile Device

Mr. Laz
Wow. Earth-shattering (According to sources)
now you're just being a pain

Sure-Oz
It's likely to be a New England reunion: Now that Charlie Weis has agreed to work in Kansas City, Romeo Crennel will not be far behind. less than 20 seconds ago from UberTwitter

per adam schefters twitter

Titty Meat

Once, to celebrate birthdays on my wife's dad's side of the family w/ her grandparents, and once to do her dad's side of the family Christmas.

You couldn't draw me into that shit hole with a ****ing tractor beam otherwise.

Damn that bad huh?

'Hamas' Jenkins
01-06-2010, 06:07 PM
Clausen could certainly fall to #5, particularly now that he's going to need surgery and won't be able to throw for teams until April(best case scenario).

I just can't imagine Clausen getting past Mike Shanahan.

He drafted Jay Cutler with a team that went to the AFC Championship.

New regimes mean new quarterbacks.

Bill Lundberg
now you're just being a pain
;)

I'm just saying espn is often wrong and no one else is reporting it... Except for message board personality Big Red Chief whom I give more credit to than espn

Mr. Flopnuts

Crennel, OTOH?

Not so much.

This. Exactly.

doomy3
01-06-2010, 06:08 PM
To be honest, the Rams would probably be best served in the short term (and maybe even the long term) by signing Jason Campbell in FA and drafting Suh. Campbell gets a lot of shit, but he's actually not a bad player.

I agree. I don't think Campbell's a bad QB.

doomy3
01-06-2010, 06:08 PM
I'm pretty damn happy about this news too.

Mr. Laz
01-06-2010, 06:09 PM
It's likely to be a New England reunion: Now that Charlie Weis has agreed to work in Kansas City, Romeo Crennel will not be far behind. less than 20 seconds ago from UberTwitter

anyone else think that Shefter is kinda a greasy little weasel?

-King-
01-06-2010, 06:09 PM

You couldn't draw me into that shit hole with a fucking tractor beam otherwise.

ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL

Man I wish I wasn't on my phone so I could give you rep
Posted via Mobile Device

'Hamas' Jenkins
01-06-2010, 06:10 PM
What the **** leads you to this deduction? Please break it down for us all...

By hiring Weis we have fast tracked to a team that can win no more than 10 games? Huh? :)

Sure.

We have a defense with no playmakers.

We have an offense with one playmaker, and one guy who could be a playmaker if he cared more and wasn't targeted like a 5th option.

We have a regime with a history of drafting 3-4 lineman in the first round, but who haven't produced a pass rusher of their own in well....ever.

Who was the last 3-4 edge rusher NE drafted that made any impact?

We have a QB with the keys to the franchise who is basically a homeless man's Rich Gannon.

I think that we could build the 1997 Chiefs without Derrick Thomas.

That's probably a 10 win team.

ModSocks
01-06-2010, 06:10 PM

I agree. He flashes his talent. I was listening on the radio this morning and someone mentioned that he has had 4 offensive coordinators in 4 years in college, and then a diff coordinator every year in the pros.

I kinda feel bad for the dude. What a wast of talent.

Titty Meat
01-06-2010, 06:11 PM
Are you talking about 10 wins next year or 10 wins is the most this regime will ever win in a season?

Mr. Laz
01-06-2010, 06:11 PM
man, i just hope this means we can work on improving our techniques on offense.

cassel's footwork is crap,his play-action-pass fake is almost non-existent, the offensive line can't hide a screen worth a crap etc etc. :banghead:

'Hamas' Jenkins
01-06-2010, 06:12 PM
I agree. I don't think Campbell's a bad QB.

You couldn't put a guy in a worse situation.

Before the draft last year, I compared Freeman to Campbell, and it turns out that I think I was right, but for the wrong reasons. Campbell and Freeman are both better than I thought, as it turns out.

Bill Lundberg
I agree. He flashes his talent. I was listening on the radio this morning and someone mentioned that he has had 4 offensive coordinators in 4 years in college, and then a diff coordinator every year in the pros.

Hell I'd take him right now. For "competition" you know cuz it makes us stronger...

The Franchise

I think if Shanny is smart....he'll keep the kid and see what he's got.

Jerm

nWo 4 4 4 Liiifffeee!!!
Posted via Mobile Device

Titty Meat
01-06-2010, 06:13 PM

cassel's footwork is crap,his play-action-pass fake is almost non-existent, the offensive line can't hide a screen worth a crap etc etc. :banghead:

I don't think this team has ran a successful screen since 2006.

The Bad Guy
I didn't tell you 3 days ago before BRC did, but I did say it from my source at around 1:30 today.

Titty Meat
nWo 4 4 4 Liiifffeee!!!
Posted via Mobile Device

LEts dump tea in the Harbor!

SDChiefs
01-06-2010, 06:14 PM

Is he going to be a UFA if there is no CBA? Im not sure.

ModSocks
Sure.

We have a defense with no playmakers.

We have an offense with one playmaker, and one guy who could be a playmaker if he cared more and wasn't targeted like a 5th option.

We have a regime with a history of drafting 3-4 lineman in the first round, but who haven't produced a pass rusher of their own in well....ever.

Who was the last 3-4 edge rusher NE drafted that made any impact?

We have a QB with the keys to the franchise who is basically a homeless man's Rich Gannon.

I think that we could build the 1997 Chiefs without Derrick Thomas.

That's probably a 10 win team.

Maybe a 10 win team in 2011. Maybe a 13 win team in 2012. And then BAHM! the world ends in route to our first superbowl. Sucks being a Chiefs fan.

Pioli Zombie
Vince Wilfork???
Posted via Mobile Device

WilliamTheIrish
01-06-2010, 06:15 PM
Big deal. Show me on the field. I watched this board welcome the return of an aviator glasses wearing moron, hailing him as a savior. I didn't fall for it when Carl did it, and I won't fall for it on this hire.

Prove it to me, Chiefs. You no longer deserve the faith of this fan.

seaofred
01-06-2010, 06:16 PM
I love this hire.

Sure-Oz
01-06-2010, 06:17 PM
Big deal. Show me on the field. I watched this board welcome the return of an aviator glasses wearing moron, hailing him as a savior. I didn't fall for it when Carl did it, and I won't fall for it on this hire.

Prove it to me, Chiefs. You no longer deserve the faith of this fan.

But gun said he'd eat their heart and soul and shit

Jerm
01-06-2010, 06:17 PM
LEts dump tea in the Harbor!

That's a supa mad wicka'd idea man.

Gotta get the language down.
Posted via Mobile Device

Titty Meat
01-06-2010, 06:18 PM
That's a supa mad wicka'd idea man.

Gotta get the language down.
Posted via Mobile Device

I'm busy cakn partna

seaofred
01-06-2010, 06:19 PM
It's now on www.nfl.com. Link: http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d8158df28&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true

'Hamas' Jenkins
Are you talking about 10 wins next year or 10 wins is the most this regime will ever win in a season?

10 is the most we'll ever get with this team. Maybe Pioli gets a second build, but w/ Matt Cassel at the helm and no outside rushers, I don't see us ever doing more than that.

Galileo Humpkins
It's the 52nd incarnation of the NWO.

But who's the third man, Schiavone?!

HolmeZz
01-06-2010, 06:20 PM
I just can't imagine Clausen getting past Mike Shanahan.

He drafted Jay Cutler with a team that went to the AFC Championship.

New regimes mean new quarterbacks.

I don't doubt Shanahan will be looking quarterback, I've just heard he's enamored with Bradford.

Titty Meat
01-06-2010, 06:21 PM
10 is the most we'll ever get with this team. Maybe Pioli gets a second build, but w/ Matt Cassel at the helm and no outside rushers, I don't see us ever doing more than that.

Hopefully the Chiefs don't make the same mistake they did in 2006 and overlook Dumervil who led the NCAA in sacks. Von Miller will be a good outside linebacker.

DrRyan
01-06-2010, 06:22 PM

So, what you are saying is that one year's draft a is a history of drafting 3-4 linemen in the first round?

Dorsey was not drafted as a 3-4 lineman. The only 3-4 lineman the Chiefs have ever drafted in the first round was Tyson Jackson. I was not a fan of that pick at the time and am not a fan of it now.

You would not call Tamba Hali a pass rusher of their own? He certainly is not DeMarcus Ware, but he is a pass rusher.

Your cynicism never grows old...

I am not even remotely suggesting that the Weis hire wins the AFCW next year, a couple playoff games and a trip to the super bowl. The defense is a huge problem, but suggesting this team is building for a 10 win ceiling because the defense is awful before any FA acquisitions and the draft in the Charlie Weis OC thread is laughable.

Sure-Oz
01-06-2010, 06:23 PM
Kent Babb's thoughts next on 810 with Jason Anderson

BigChiefFan
01-06-2010, 06:24 PM
This is a good hire. Weis and Haley will be on the same page and that should give the team some continuity. Weis also brings a certain amount of expertise and credibility to the coaching staff. Nice move.

Titty Meat
01-06-2010, 06:24 PM
Kent Babb's thoughts next on 810 with Jason Anderson

Kent Babb might as well be Nick Athan. Seriously Babbs takes are awful.

Mr. Flopnuts
01-06-2010, 06:27 PM
You just can't fuck with this decided schematic advantage.

Just Passin' By
;)

I'm just saying espn is often wrong and no one else is reporting it... Except for message board personality Big Red Chief whom I give more credit to than espn

Here you go:

Charlie Weis has agreed to become the Chiefs' offensive coordinator, a team source confirmed to NFL Network's Michael Lombardi.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d8158df28&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true

DeezNutz
We're going to win an additional 3-4 games next year because of coaching alone.

KC kid
01-06-2010, 06:29 PM
[QUOTE='Hamas' Jenkins;6416259]You couldn't put a guy in a worse situation.'QUOTE]

See: Cassel,Matt

BigChiefFan
We also now have the inside track on Clausen.

Bill Lundberg
Here you go:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d8158df28&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true

Thank you captain Repost

Titty Meat
This is a good hire. Weis and Haley will be on the same page and that should give the team some continuity. Weis also brings a certain amount of expertise and credibility to the coaching staff. Nice move.

Whats the word on Crennel, insider?

RustShack
01-06-2010, 06:31 PM
Pioli + Haley + Wies + Crennel + Clausen = CHAMPIONSHIP's

'Hamas' Jenkins
01-06-2010, 06:34 PM
I don't doubt Shanahan will be looking quarterback, I've just heard he's enamored with Bradford.

Good thing he has a 2nd round pick.

Just Passin' By
01-06-2010, 06:35 PM
Thank you captain Repost

When did NFL.com become the same exact thing as ESPN?

Bill Lundberg
01-06-2010, 06:36 PM
When did NFL.com become the same exact thing as ESPN?

I'll spell it out for you
http://chiefsplanet.com/BB/showpost.php?p=6416305&postcount=183

HemiEd
01-06-2010, 06:37 PM

JFC give it a rest, damn.

'Hamas' Jenkins
01-06-2010, 06:37 PM
So, what you are saying is that one year's draft a is a history of drafting 3-4 linemen in the first round?

Dorsey was not drafted as a 3-4 lineman. The only 3-4 lineman the Chiefs have ever drafted in the first round was Tyson Jackson. I was not a fan of that pick at the time and am not a fan of it now.

You would not call Tamba Hali a pass rusher of their own? He certainly is not DeMarcus Ware, but he is a pass rusher.

Your cynicism never grows old...

I am not even remotely suggesting that the Weis hire wins the AFCW next year, a couple playoff games and a trip to the super bowl. The defense is a huge problem, but suggesting this team is building for a 10 win ceiling because the defense is awful before any FA acquisitions and the draft in the Charlie Weis OC thread is laughable.

No, I'm going off of NE's drafting history (since we give Pioli credit when talking about his input on NE's draft, except when they're bad) as well as his history here.

Again, show me one 3-4 OLB that anyone in New England or with this regime has drafted who was a real threat to rush the passer.

This league is about three things: Having a great QB, protecting the QB, and rushing the QB.

We don't have 1, 1 obviates 2 in many cases (notice Cassel's sacks taken stats in NE), and our decision makers have shown no aptitude of getting 3.

Bill Lundberg
01-06-2010, 06:38 PM
Hypothetical question for the experts -

What if Mangini gets canned by the Browns? Do you pursue him or Crennel for DC? I can't imagine anyone giving Mangini another HC job after what happened in Cleveland assuming he isn't retained.

DaneMcCloud
01-06-2010, 06:39 PM
Bad Fucking Ass!

'Hamas' Jenkins
01-06-2010, 06:40 PM
And since when did this regime draft Tamba Hali?

Titty Meat

What if Mangini gets canned by the Browns? Do you pursue him or Crennel for DC? I can't imagine anyone giving Mangini another HC job after what happened in Cleveland assuming he isn't retained.

No I thought it was documented that Pioli and the rest of the Kansas City Patriots hate Mangini after he ratted on the mothership.

DeezNutz

I will throw the fuck up if Mangini is even seriously considered, let alone hired.

Mr_Tomahawk
http://www.footballnewsnow.com/2010/charlie-weis-becomes-chiefs-offensive-coordinator/

Charlie Weis Becomes Chiefs Offensive Coordinator

Charlie Weis
Former Notre Dame head coach Charlie Weis has agreed to become the new offensive coordinator of the Kansas City Chiefs.

An official announcement is expected within the next 24-48 hours according to ESPN’s Chris Mortensen.

“He’s a coach that system-wise, I would say we’re as close as you can be,” Chiefs coach Todd Haley said Wednesday before word of Weis’ hiring leaked. “Charlie’s a guy I consider a friend and I’ve talked to throughout the year, no different from some of the other guys I lean on for things and advice.”

Weis is inheriting a quarterback in Matt Cassel who is familiar with his style of offense from his days with the New England Patriots, although he was drafted after Weis left for South Bend.

Perhaps that will help the last offseason’s big free agent acquisition improve in 2010.

Adam Schefter of ESPN reports that Romeo Crennel will also be joining the Chiefs as the defensive coordinator shortly.

Titty Meat
Bad ****ing Ass!

Really?

the Talking Can
01-06-2010, 06:41 PM
The problem with our offense at the end of the season was not haley's play calling - except for some obvious wtf moments - but the QB's execution of the play calls. How many tds did Cassel leave on the field with agressive down field plays calls?

The opening drive in denver was brilliant, and Haley has proven he can call a game that maximizes Charles abilities, even with sub-par talent almost everywhere.

I wish he'd keep calling plays. And it isn't clear to me that Weiss is an upgrade during the game, and may in fact be less aggressive which will inevitably raise another chorus of whining.

But, organizationally, by reducing Haley's work load and maybe even helping to buffer the players from his caustic side a bit, it could help Haley to get his shit together and focus.

I mean, i don't know, but it's hypothetically possible.

It's nice to see them doing something, i guess, and proof that Haley was being candid when he said he'd likely eventually bring in a OC, but please god tell me we're bringing in a new DC where the need is 100 times greater.

The Franchise
01-06-2010, 06:41 PM
Bad Fucking Ass!

Mark it down......

On January 6th 2010......DaneMcCloud was happy with a move the Chiefs made. :D

'Hamas' Jenkins
01-06-2010, 06:42 PM
[quote='Hamas' Jenkins;6416259]You couldn't put a guy in a worse situation.'QUOTE]

See: Cassel,Matt

Cassel was in the same system for the first 4 years of his career.

He also had a hell of a lot more to work with this year alone on the OL and skill positions than Campbell did in Washington.

Titty Meat
01-06-2010, 06:42 PM
The problem with our offense at the end of the season was not haley's play calling - except for some obvious wtf moments - but the QB's execution of the play calls. How many tds did Cassel leave on the field with agressive down field plays calls?

The opening drive in denver was brilliant, and Haley has proven he can call a game that maximizes Charles abilities, even with sub-par talent almost everywhere.

I wish he'd keep calling plays. And it isn't clear to me that Weiss is an upgrade during the game, and may in fact be less aggressive which will inevitably raise another chorus of whining.

But, organizationally, by reducing Haley's work load and maybe even helping to buffer the players from his caustic side a bit, it could help Haley to get his shit together and focus.

It's nice to see them doing something, i guess, and proof that Haley was being candid when he said he'd likely eventually bring in a OC, but please god tell me we're bringing in a new DC where the need is 100 times greater.

I can't think of a better coach to help Cassel than Charlie Weis.

Mr. Flopnuts
01-06-2010, 06:43 PM
In defense of Mangini, I do find it rather impressive he was able to take those scrubs to 4 straight wins to end the season.

But I think Holmgren will get rid of him, and I don't want him anywhere near KC.

Just Passin' By
No, I'm going off of NE's drafting history (since we give Pioli credit when talking about his input on NE's draft, except when they're bad) as well as his history here.

Again, show me one 3-4 OLB that anyone in New England or with this regime has drafted who was a real threat to rush the passer.

This league is about three things: Having a great QB, protecting the QB, and rushing the QB.

We don't have 1, 1 obviates 2 in many cases (notice Cassel's sacks taken stats in NE), and our decision makers have shown no aptitude of getting 3.

Depends on how you look at the words "real threat", I suppose.

Tully Banta-Cain had 9.5 sacks this season.

However, given that the Patriots under Belichick generally brought in veteran linebackers rather than drafting them prior to Mayo, it's sort of a non-issue. The team didn't fail at drafting such players in any grand sense, because they didn't make the attempt.

'Hamas' Jenkins
Mangini has been blacklisted from the tree.

Bill Lundberg
No I thought it was documented that Pioli and the rest of the Kansas City Patriots hate Mangini after he ratted on the mothership.

Good point, I'd forgotten about that

the Talking Can
I can't think of a better coach to help Cassel than Charlie Weis.

well, true and i honestly didn't even think about that angle.....

DeezNutz
01-06-2010, 06:44 PM

I completely agree that Haley CAN call a damn good game. But the WTF moments, I hope, have to be the direct result of him trying to do too much.

How else can you explain comments like, "I called TO to decide whether to punt or kick a FG." Seriously, Todd? Motherfuck.

The Chiefs are instantly better right now. And this really isn't meant as glowing praise of Weis.

Mr. Flopnuts
01-06-2010, 06:44 PM
Mangini has been blacklisted from the tree.

LMAO

"Hey Scott. It's Eric. You guys find a real D coordinator yet? I should be near the top of the tree."

"Sure Eric. The AIDS Tree."

Click.

'Hamas' Jenkins
01-06-2010, 06:45 PM

Tully Banta-Cain, the 29 year old OLB, almost doubled his career sack total this year and still didn't get to 10.

:facepalm:

Titty Meat
01-06-2010, 06:46 PM
Now lets hire a D-cordinator and let Pioli scout and target free agents and hope next year is alot better than last year. I'm tired of losing I want to argue with everyone about how far we'll go in the playoffs dammit.

the Talking Can
01-06-2010, 06:46 PM
I completely agree that Haley CAN call a damn good game. But the WTF moments, I hope, have to be the direct result of him trying to do too much.

How else can you explain comments like, "I called TO to decide whether to punt or kick a FG." Seriously, Todd? Mother****.

The Chiefs are instantly better right now. And this really isn't meant as glowing praise of Weis.

right, it's probably a net gain in the end.....

DeezNutz
01-06-2010, 06:47 PM
"That dude's a Chauncey."

"Billups?"

"Naw, a bitch ass Chauncey."

The exchange that goes through my mind everytime I think of Clancy: A bitch ass Clancy.

Mr. Flopnuts
Now lets hire a D-cordinator and let Pioli scout and target free agents and hope next year is alot better than last year. I'm tired of losing I want to argue with everyone about how far we'll go in the playoffs dammit.

If this team doesn't go .500 next year, there's nothing to argue about.

Titty Meat

It would be amazing if the Chiefs win 8 games next year.

DeezNutz
01-06-2010, 06:48 PM

Flopnuts has been consistent with his .500 gauntlet.

'Hamas' Jenkins
01-06-2010, 06:50 PM

However, given that the Patriots under Belichick generally brought in veteran linebackers rather than drafting them prior to Mayo, it's sort of a non-issue. The team didn't fail at drafting such players in any grand sense, because they didn't make the attempt.

Shawn Crable was a massive failure, that's for sure.

Mr. Flopnuts
01-06-2010, 06:51 PM
It would be amazing if the Chiefs win 8 games next year.

Flopnuts has been consistent with his .500 gauntlet.

If they win 7, I won't freak. If they win less than that, I'm going to fucking struggle.

Titty Meat
01-06-2010, 06:51 PM
If they win 7, I won't freak. If they win less than that, I'm going to ****ing struggle.

7 wins would be awsome. Thats more then they've won in 2.5 years.

BigChiefFan
01-06-2010, 06:53 PM
Whats the word on Crennel, insider?Crennel is our first choice and they are trying to work out the details of a contract. Since he is still owed money from the Browns, working out the specifics is more detailed than usual. He's allowed his agent to field calls for his services, but he's leaning towards the Chiefs. In fact, I would say it's all but done.

Titty Meat
01-06-2010, 06:54 PM
Crennel is our first choice and they are trying to work out the details of a contract. Since he is still owed money from the Browns, working out the specifics is more detailed than usual. He's allowed his agent to field calls for his services, but he's leaning towards the Chiefs. In fact, I would say it's all but done.

I'm gonna have to write you a check next christmas seriously. I value your insight and how accurate it is compared to you know whos.

Mr_Tomahawk
01-06-2010, 06:56 PM
I'm gonna have to write you a check next christmas seriously. I value your insight and how accurate it is compared to you know whos.

This.

HemiEd
01-06-2010, 06:58 PM
cbssportsline.com
foxsports.com
cnnsi.com
kcchiefs.com

They had it on Sirius NFL network at 5.30

DeezNutz
01-06-2010, 06:58 PM
Crennel is our first choice and they are trying to work out the details of a contract. Since he is still owed money from the Browns, working out the specifics is more detailed than usual. He's allowed his agent to field calls for his services, but he's leaning towards the Chiefs. In fact, I would say it's all but done.

Insider? Huh?

Just Passin' By
01-06-2010, 07:00 PM
Tully Banta-Cain, the 29 year old OLB, almost doubled his career sack total this year and still didn't get to 10.

:facepalm:

As I said... depends on how you look at the words. However, Belichick's first draft with the team was in 2001. Here are all the LB's drafted and the round taken, regardless of ILB or OLB projection:

2000: Casey Tisdale: round 7
2001: T.J. Turner: compensatory round 7
2003: Tully Banta-Cain: round 7
2005: Ryan Claridge: Round 5
2006: Jeremy Mincey: Round 6
2007: Justin Rogers: Round 6
2007: Oscar Lua: Round 7
2008: Jerod Mayo: Round 1
2008: Shawn Crable: Round 3
2008: Bo Ruud: Round 6
2009: Tyrone Mckenzie: Round 3

That's every linebacker drafted under Belichick. Only 3 were drafted in the 'first day', and 2 of them (Crable, McKenzie) have been held back by injury. Mayo, an ILB, was DPOY. McKenzie, projected to be an inside LB, got hurt even before getting to his first training camp. Crable was injured as a rookie, never really saw the field, and then got hurt again and ended up on IR. This year, he suffered another season ending injury, even before getting a chance to get into any game situation.

So, sure you can say that the team hasn't really drafted pass rushing OLBs if you ignore or minimize what Banta-Cain did this season, but it's not as if they've been repeatedly trying with top picks and completely failing.

Sam Hall
01-06-2010, 07:02 PM
We have hired Jabba the Hutt.

booger
01-06-2010, 07:02 PM

Personally I think Crennel is who they will probably focus in on. Possibly as just a DL and Associate HC instead of DC. He was rumored to join Weis's staff at ND as just a DL coach there. The article i read on that said at this stage of his career he would be content as just a position coach instead of DC. I don't know how the past year away from football could have affected that. DC for him still makes the most sense.

As others have mentioned, Todd Bowles DB/asst. hc Phins. He is being groomed for the future DC when Paul Pasqueloni retires or moves on. I have my doubts that Pioli or haley would hire him with the chance Parcells wants to promote him in the future, it might ruffle feathers w/Parcells. I don't think they would take a chance on that.

As far as Cleveland, Rob Ryan their DC. If a new HC goes to Cleveland he may be available. When he was DC in Oakland, Don Martindale was the LB coach. He is now with Nolan and the Donks. He might be worth an interview.

Al Groh makes sense too. And if Pepper Johnson w/the pats is ready, Pioli would know.

Mr_Tomahawk
01-06-2010, 07:08 PM
Where is the gif of making his goofy smile face like he had just jihp?

HemiEd

He stares down his primary receiver as well. Pretty fucking basic flaw.

-King-
Off topic: I don't see how people still buy WPI subscriptions. When was the last thing they broke?

I don't know why I had that thought. Just thinking about how weird it would be to pay for something and they don't even break any news.
Posted via Mobile Device

'Hamas' Jenkins
01-06-2010, 07:10 PM
As I said... depends on how you look at the words. However, Belichick's first draft with the team was in 2001. Here are all the LB's drafted and the round taken, regardless of ILB or OLB projection:

2000: Casey Tisdale: round 7
2001: T.J. Turner: compensatory round 7
2003: Tully Banta-Cain: round 7
2005: Ryan Claridge: Round 5
2006: Jeremy Mincey: Round 6
2007: Justin Rogers: Round 6
2007: Oscar Lua: Round 7
2008: Jerod Mayo: Round 1
2008: Shawn Crable: Round 3
2008: Bo Ruud: Round 6
2009: Tyrone Mckenzie: Round 3

That's every linebacker drafted under Belichick. Only 3 were drafted in the 'first day', and 2 of them (Crable, McKenzie) have been held back by injury. Mayo, an ILB, was DPOY. McKenzie, projected to be an inside LB, got hurt even before getting to his first training camp. Crable was injured as a rookie, never really saw the field, and then got hurt again and ended up on IR. This year, he suffered another season ending injury, even before getting a chance to get into any game situation.

So, sure you can say that the team hasn't really drafted pass rushing OLBs if you ignore or minimize what Banta-Cain did this season, but it's not as if they've been repeatedly trying with top picks and completely failing.

JFC, you dumb motherfucker, read my posts again.

They haven't been able to draft any impact OLBs.

Is Jerod Mayo an OLB?

No. So shut the fuck up about him.

Regardless of where they did or did not try to bring someone in, or if they were held back by injury or fucking cat AIDS, no one who they've drafted as a pass rusher has been an impact player.

loce1959
01-06-2010, 07:11 PM
ROFLThey had to get him signed
before the cranes were done at Arrowhead

-Too soon?

ROFL

booger
01-06-2010, 07:14 PM
Since Dedric Ward was demoted and Richie Anderson took over coaching WR's i wonder if they will keep Ward in another capacity or what happens with that situation. Wouldn't be suprised to see DA/Quality control coach Pat Perles switch to be Muir's asst on the OL. He also was a DL coach and LB's as well, Perles that is.

Anthony Pleasant probably has a good shot to stay on as OLB/DL coach. Possibly the main DL coach if Crennel as DC comes and he has a solid backgroud with DL.

Then maybe guys like Otis Smith and Corwin Brown coached DB's and both have previous connections to Haley, Pioli, and even Weis.

Red Dawg
01-06-2010, 07:17 PM
The Patsification Continues...

Who gives a damn that he coached at NE. If it ends with 3 rings for us as well I doubt anyone would complain.

Red Dawg
01-06-2010, 07:19 PM
Word.

100% correct. Crennel has 5 SB rings as a DC. That's gotta be a record and he would be a massive upgrade.

Just Passin' By
01-06-2010, 07:26 PM
JFC, you dumb mother****er, read my posts again.

They haven't been able to draft any impact OLBs.

Is Jerod Mayo an OLB?

No. So shut the **** up about him.

Regardless of where they did or did not try to bring someone in, or if they were held back by injury or ****ing cat AIDS, no one who they've drafted as a pass rusher has been an impact player.

You really do struggle with reading comprehension, don't you?

Seriously, how fucking tough a read is that sentence? Does the comma throw you off or something?

'Hamas' Jenkins
01-06-2010, 07:30 PM
You really do struggle with reading comprehension, don't you?

Seriously, how fucking tough a read is that sentence? Does the comma throw you off or something?

Show me where I've said they've spent a litany of top picks on them, fucktard.

Point it out. Once.

If not, then shut the fuck up, and go back to Pats Planet where you can wow the throngs with stories of how it feels when Pioli's dick works your uvula like a fucking speed bag.