PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Getting The Band Back Together

'Hamas' Jenkins
01-06-2010, 07:08 PM
Exact words from The Doug Gottlieb Show about Pioli's proclivity for hiring guys from "The Tree".

It's also a tried and true method in the NFL over the last couple of decades. Let's take a look at how getting the band back together worked out.

Walsh, Bill. Almost single-handedly built the 49er Dynasty. Was lured back to SF from 1999-2001 as GM. The team experienced moderate success over this time, going 12-4 in 2001, but not winning a playoff game during his tenure.

Vermeil, Dick. Tried to rebuild the '99 Rams with the 2001-2005 Chiefs. Had 2/5 winning seasons and a winning record overall, but never won a playoff game.

Holmgren, Mike. Assumed full control of the Seahawks after leaving GB. Even traded for his old backup QB in the process. Although the team achieved a SB berth, this was after Holmgren had been stripped of his GM duties in 2002, and Bob Ferguson took over.

Policy, Carmen. Former "Executive of the Year" from SF was lured to rebuild the Cleveland Browns. Installed former SF Buddy Dwight Clark as GM. Crashed and burned like the fucking Hindenburg.

Johnson, Jimmy. The man who built the 90's Cowboys was charged with building the late 90's Dolphins into something Shula couldn't for the last 25 years--a SB champion. Johnson brought in his old assistants towards the end (Wannstedt) but could never match the success he had in Dallas. Ended his tenure with a 62 point ass raping from the Jags.

DeezNutz
01-06-2010, 07:12 PM
When the Romeo hire is made official, we need a poll to gauge the expectations for next season.

We will have all of Pioli's guys, and he will have had over one full year to evaluate and another year with a top 5 draft position.

So what's the expectation level? And what will the excuses be?

Mile High Mania
01-06-2010, 07:12 PM
Pioli to KC fans...

<object width="425" height="344">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/dzOHq5WbQ8k&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></object>

Mr_Tomahawk
01-06-2010, 07:13 PM
If he get's both chubbies on board...anything less than .500 is a failure...

'Hamas' Jenkins
01-06-2010, 07:15 PM
Pioli to KC fans...

<object width="425" height="344">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/dzOHq5WbQ8k&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></object>

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/zRX4mlFi06A&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/zRX4mlFi06A&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Sure-Oz
01-06-2010, 07:17 PM
Worst case scenario, we have DL depth now with Weiss and if Crennel joins as well!

Pioli Zombie
When the Romeo hire is made official, we need a poll to gauge the expectations for next season.

We will have all of Pioli's guys, and he will have had over one full year to evaluate and another year with a top 5 draft position.

So what's the expectation level? And what will the excuses be?

the same as any 2nd year rebuilding regime should be. 8-8.

BigMeatballDave
Holmgren is going to do this in Cleveland too. I just heard on NFL Network that Mornhinweg is a possibility as HC. LMAO Sorry Browns fans...

DaWolf
01-06-2010, 07:30 PM
Fair enough. Then again, when Belichick got the New England job, he hired his same buddies from his days with the Giants, Cleveland, and the Jets, rather than going and hiring fresh guys he hadn't worked with, and won himself three rings.

I think hiring guys just for the sake of familiarity can lead to issues. If these are Pioli's hires and not Haley's, we're going to have issues, just like we did when Carl convinced DV to hire Dumbther. But if these guys are the best guys to implement the system you want in place and coach the guys you are going to give them, then it can work.

At the end of the day, regardless of who we hire, we need to acquire talent. The players are the ones who win the Bowls. Just ask Shanarat what he was able to win after Elway and TD...

Bane
01-06-2010, 07:31 PM
I think we all know which one Haley is.ROFL

<object style="height: 344px; width: 425px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/_MVonyVSQoM"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/_MVonyVSQoM" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="425" height="344"></object>

'Hamas' Jenkins
01-06-2010, 07:31 PM
At the end of the day, regardless of who we hire, we need to acquire talent. The players are the ones who win the Bowls.

Then you might want to look at NE's organizational philosophy before signing off.

Titty Meat
01-06-2010, 08:02 PM
Doug Gotlieb is a douche who also said Nebraska football would never be good again. Fuck him.

Titty Meat
01-06-2010, 08:04 PM
And Crennel & Weis are upgrades so I don't see how fans can be unhappy about getting better?

FloridaMan88
01-06-2010, 08:10 PM
Memo to Fat Scott... TALENT wins, not coaches.

Look at the 4 teams with byes in the playoffs this year... coached by the likes of Norv Turner, Jim Caldwell, Sean Payton and Brad Childress.

None of those guys are going to conjur up images of Vince Lombardi.

All those teams are the top teams in their respective conferences primarily because of the talent they possess on the field... and not as much because of the coaching staff on the sideline.

wild1
01-06-2010, 08:10 PM
What is the point here? That once you are successful in the NFL, you can never be again?

wild1
01-06-2010, 08:12 PM
Memo to Fat Scott... TALENT wins, not coaches.

Look at the 4 teams with byes in the playoffs this year... coached by the likes of Norv Turner, Jim Caldwell, Sean Payton and Brad Childress.

None of those guys are going to conjur up images of Vince Lombardi.

All those teams are the top teams in their respective conferences primarily because of the talent they possess on the field... and not as because of the coaching staff on the sideline.

Hot damn, here's an idea... someone should tell Pioli... that he might try upgrading the talent... I bet he hadn't considered doing this...

SAUTO
01-06-2010, 08:13 PM
WE'RE ON A MISSION FROM GOD!!!!!!!!!!
Posted via Mobile Device

the Talking Can
01-06-2010, 08:17 PM
Exact words from The Doug Gottlieb Show about Pioli's proclivity for hiring guys from "The Tree".

It's also a tried and true method in the NFL over the last couple of decades. Let's take a look at how getting the band back together worked out.

Walsh, Bill. Almost single-handedly built the 49er Dynasty. Was lured back to SF from 1999-2001 as GM. The team experienced moderate success over this time, going 12-4 in 2001, but not winning a playoff game during his tenure.

Vermeil, Dick. Tried to rebuild the '99 Rams with the 2001-2005 Chiefs. Had 2/5 winning seasons and a winning record overall, but never won a playoff game.

Holmgren, Mike. Assumed full control of the Seahawks after leaving GB. Even traded for his old backup QB in the process. Although the team achieved a SB berth, this was after Holmgren had been stripped of his GM duties in 2002, and Bob Ferguson took over.

Policy, Carmen. Former "Executive of the Year" from SF was lured to rebuild the Cleveland Browns. Installed former SF Buddy Dwight Clark as GM. Crashed and burned like the ****ing Hindenburg.

Johnson, Jimmy. The man who built the 90's Cowboys was charged with building the late 90's Dolphins into something Shula couldn't for the last 25 years--a SB champion. Johnson brought in his old assistants towards the end (Wannstedt) but could never match the success he had in Dallas. Ended his tenure with a 62 point ass raping from the Jags.

that's really dumb....there is no measurable variable called "getting coaches back together" or whatever you and "NFL guru" Doug Gottlieb want to call it...

the reasons for failure are the same everywhere, always, and have nothing to do with whether or not coaches had previously co-habitated..

people fail because they make bad decisions, execute poorly, lack forsesight and imagination, and/or are simply incompetent...along with the variables of the players they coach who fail for the same reasons...add in the GM, the franchises proclivity to spend $$$, their ability to draft talent, etc, relative talent levels of other teams in the league, and you get a workable batch of interconnected reasons for why a regime at a certain time and place succeeds or fails...

it has dick to do with them previously working together...literally nothing...your grasp of logic is so fucking poor it makes me want to listen to the same goth music you must have been listening to when you posted this embarrassing nonsense....

maybe people on the planet could pull their fucking heads out of their asses for awhile.....fuck

the Talking Can
01-06-2010, 08:18 PM
plus KU is losing to Cornell, which is way more important right now

seaofred
01-06-2010, 08:34 PM
plus KU is losing to Cornell, which is way more important right now

Good

RedThat
01-06-2010, 08:41 PM
HEY! I like a band that could play good music.

I can't wait to hear that music..all we need now are the proper set of drums, guitars, keyboards, mics, all the right equipment necessary and its rock and roll!!! SHOWTIME!!!!WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

'Hamas' Jenkins
01-06-2010, 08:42 PM
that's really dumb....there is no measurable variable called "getting coaches back together" or whatever you and "NFL guru" Doug Gottlieb want to call it...

the reasons for failure are the same everywhere, always, and have nothing to do with whether or not coaches had previously co-habitated..

people fail because they make bad decisions, execute poorly, lack forsesight and imagination, and/or are simply incompetent...along with the variables of the players they coach who fail for the same reasons...add in the GM, the franchises proclivity to spend $$$, their ability to draft talent, etc, relative talent levels of other teams in the league, and you get a workable batch of interconnected reasons for why a regime at a certain time and place succeeds or fails...

it has dick to do with them previously working together...literally nothing...your grasp of logic is so fucking poor it makes me want to listen to the same goth music you must have been listening to when you posted this embarrassing nonsense....

maybe people on the planet could pull their fucking heads out of their asses for awhile.....fuck

Define irony. The guy who says that people fail because they lack imagination and foresight tells me my logic is horrible.

Simply Red
01-06-2010, 08:51 PM
shit just got really real.

Simply Red
01-06-2010, 08:55 PM
http://i48.tinypic.com/2yke3jq.jpg

kcxiv
01-06-2010, 08:58 PM
I am ok with it. our HC is a new guy, so i am fine with it. If he doesnt work. so the fuck what, it hasnt worked for 40 years whats another few.

milkman
01-06-2010, 09:07 PM
I am ok with it. our HC is a new guy, so i am fine with it. If he doesnt work. so the **** what, it hasnt worked for 40 years whats another few.

Another few could mean the differenece between seeing another Championship in our lifetime, or watching it from the hereafter.

AustinChief
01-06-2010, 09:31 PM

OK, #1 Vermeil took the EAGLES to a superbowl and then won one with St Louis THEN came to KC.

Holmgren (as you stated) made it back to the superbowl... pretty damn good.

..and I notice three names missing...

Parcells, Shula and Reeves.

so, it looks about 50/50... which I am fine with saying that the argument holds no water... we are left to judge the coaches based on what they will/won't bring to the table NOW ...not any past garbage. (as a positive or negative)

Unfortunately, neither has been an OC/DC the last few years... so impossible to judge accurately... just guessing at this point.

We'll only KNOW the answer a few months into next season... maybe sooner if Weis is gonna run the exact same offense that Haley runs.

Past Superbowls do not translate into either good or poor performance the next time around. Period.

Hootie
01-06-2010, 09:38 PM
God forbid we try and upgrade the coaching staff.

LMAO

Hootie
01-06-2010, 09:39 PM
Are Weis and Crennel not qualified enough for you Hamas? Holy Christ...

My expectations for next year? As of right now...

8-8

ChiefMojo
01-06-2010, 10:15 PM
My question is... can't we up grade our coaches AND talent? Why cry about upgrading our coaches now? We are so jaded as Chiefs fans we can't even appreciate what we have in front of us. Who gives a rip if we are bringing the band back together... it is a hell of a lot better than we have had in YEAAARRRSSS!

Btw, my expectations are also 8-8 next season.

'Hamas' Jenkins
01-06-2010, 10:37 PM
OK, #1 Vermeil took the EAGLES to a superbowl and then won one with St Louis THEN came to KC.

Holmgren (as you stated) made it back to the superbowl... pretty damn good.

..and I notice three names missing...

Parcells, Shula and Reeves.

so, it looks about 50/50... which I am fine with saying that the argument holds no water... we are left to judge the coaches based on what they will/won't bring to the table NOW ...not any past garbage. (as a positive or negative)

Unfortunately, neither has been an OC/DC the last few years... so impossible to judge accurately... just guessing at this point.

We'll only KNOW the answer a few months into next season... maybe sooner if Weis is gonna run the exact same offense that Haley runs.

Past Superbowls do not translate into either good or poor performance the next time around. Period.

Wha??

Parcells never won a playoff game w/o Belichick. Not one. Despite having the same guys almost everywhere else wherever he went, he never replicated that success.

Dan Reeves wasn't calling the shots in Atlanta (Harold Richardson, a Reeves crony took over after the team was built and proceeded to destroy it), nor was Vermeil calling the shots in Philly or St. Louis. In fact, the area where Vermeil had the most input is where he had the least success: KC.

'Hamas' Jenkins
01-06-2010, 10:40 PM
Are Weis and Crennel not qualified enough for you Hamas? Holy Christ...

My expectations for next year? As of right now...

8-8

I don't think that Weis is a bad hire, nor did I ever claim he was. He's not at the top of my list, but he's not a panacea by any stretch of the imagination. Crennel, however is not a good hire. His defenses in Cleveland were shit, and he was basically a figurehead in New England. The only good thing about Crennel is that he does have a lot of time as a DL coach, and there's no way he could be any worse than Tim Krumrie.

What bothers me is what has always bothered me:

Out of all the coaching candidates, Charlie Weis and Romeo Crennel are the two that you pick. Out of all the players on waiver after cuts, Ryan O'Callaghan is the only one you pick.

You can't build a championship team from the scraps of a fallen dynasty, and yet Pioli seems to think that you can.

Where's the originality and the adaptability here?

FloridaMan88
01-07-2010, 12:23 AM
My question is... can't we up grade our coaches AND talent? Why cry about upgrading our coaches now? We are so jaded as Chiefs fans we can't even appreciate what we have in front of us. Who gives a rip if we are bringing the band back together... it is a hell of a lot better than we have had in YEAAARRRSSS!

Btw, my expectations are also 8-8 next season.

We have in front of us a team that has won 10 games the past 3 seasons.

AustinChief
01-07-2010, 12:27 AM
Crennel, however is not a good hire. His defenses in Cleveland were shit, and he was basically a figurehead in New England. The only good thing about Crennel is that he does have a lot of time as a DL coach, and there's no way he could be any worse than Tim Krumrie.

I am not exactly sold on Crennel either... He was good in New England but crap in Cleveland as a DC and upon his return to Cleveland as a HC... they didn't exactly set the world on fire on D...

I also don't think we should be married to the Patriots 3-4.. I'd rather see a modified Phillips 3-4 ... which means I'd rather see a coach familiar with it...

I'd love Wade Phillips but he likely saved his job in Dallas...

Hammock Parties
01-07-2010, 12:28 AM
I think we all know which one Haley is.ROFL

<object style="height: 344px; width: 425px;">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/_MVonyVSQoM" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always" height="344" width="425"></object>

Oh my god, fuck yes.

The 2010 Chiefs Highlight Film will be intro'd with the A-TEAM: Pioli, Haley, Weis and Crennel.

(note how I listed the black man last)

But yeah, Pioli is a bald Hannibal, Haley is Howling Mad Murdoch, Weis is a fattened up Face and Crennel is Jumbo Mr. T.

SO FUCKING AWESOME.

tyler360
01-07-2010, 12:29 AM
There is no way that anyone can predict already what our record is gonna be for next year already. That is a ridiculous guess at best.

kcxiv
01-07-2010, 12:34 AM
Another few could mean the differenece between seeing another Championship in our lifetime, or watching it from the hereafter.

i am ok though. I seen my Lakers win 6 titles and the dodgers one. Most people cant enjoy at least that in a life time. I would love to see the Chiefs win it all, but for me, it is whqt it is, i cant change anything. I could get all crazy like the thread starter, but for what? whats it going to accomplish? thats right. Nothing.

AustinChief
01-07-2010, 12:40 AM
Where's the originality and the adaptability here?

How would you feel if we hired Dat Nguyen as DC?

Young, smart, knows the 3-4...

I meant this originally as a joke... but now that I think about it...

DeezNutz
01-07-2010, 12:40 AM
There is no way that anyone can predict already what our record is gonna be for next year already. That is a ridiculous guess at best.

I think expectations can definitely bet set, once Romeo is inked and the official NE reunion tour is launched.

Produce or get the **** out.

keg in kc
01-07-2010, 12:41 AM

I meant this originally as a joke... but now that I think about it.......it's still a joke.

Taco John
01-07-2010, 12:48 AM

I meant this originally as a joke... but now that I think about it...

http://cm1.theinsider.com/media/0/441/46/Dat_Phan.0.0.0x0.400x451.jpeg

Do eet!

Hammock Parties
01-07-2010, 12:48 AM
I think expectations can definitely bet set, once Romeo is inked and the official NE reunion tour is launched.

Produce or get the **** out.

I'd say they need to make the playoffs by 2011.

Doing it next year would inspire a lot more confidence.

AustinChief
01-07-2010, 12:49 AM
....it's still a joke.

Hard to stomach an A&M playing, Cowboy coaching guy with a funny name... but the dude is smart as hell and I am at a loss to think of any AVAILABLE Phillips 3-4 guys... anyone else in the NFL playing a 1-gap 3-4 like the cowgirls?

OnTheWarpath15
01-07-2010, 12:52 AM
I'd say they need to make the playoffs by 2011.

Doing it next year would inspire a lot more confidence.

My original expectations were:

2009: 4-12

2010: 7-9

2011: 10-6 or 11-5 & win a playoff game

2012: Go very deep into the playoffs

That was before I realized that Pioli was going to grab every ex-Patriot swinging dick he could find.

These are ALL his people.

No excuses, now.

'Hamas' Jenkins
01-07-2010, 12:55 AM
Hard to stomach an A&M playing, Cowboy coaching guy with a funny name... but the dude is smart as hell and I am at a loss to think of any AVAILABLE Phillips 3-4 guys... anyone else in the NFL playing a 1-gap 3-4 like the cowgirls?

I mentioned one earlier today.

Reggie Herring

AustinChief
01-07-2010, 01:02 AM

Reggie Herring

Nice, Dat's boss... yeah I'd be more than happy with that hiring as well.

AustinChief
01-07-2010, 01:04 AM

Reggie Herring

Hell, bring Herring and Dat over at the same time... Herring as DC .. Dat as Linebackers coach. Or would you keep Gibbs?

tk13
01-07-2010, 01:11 AM
I really don't know what to think, has anything like this ever even been done before? I'm not sure any of those are great comparisons. You could just as easily flip those particular comparisons... Dungy took his act to Indy and won. Gruden took his act to Tampa and won. Sure those were some differences... but it's not like Bill Walsh and Mike Holmgren had the exact same mix either. Heck, the biggest comparison of all is Belichick took his act to New England and created the dynasty of our generation. Parcells didn't win it all but he took his band of merry men and made contenders out of New England and New York when they were complete dog feces.

This is a fairly unique situation, and I'm not confident there's any precedent to sit there and look at and say "This is what's going to happen." It's still up to Pioli and Haley to make good decisions.

'Hamas' Jenkins
01-07-2010, 02:00 AM
I really don't know what to think, has anything like this ever even been done before? I'm not sure any of those are great comparisons. You could just as easily flip those particular comparisons... Dungy took his act to Indy and won. Gruden took his act to Tampa and won. Sure those were some differences... but it's not like Bill Walsh and Mike Holmgren had the exact same mix either. Heck, the biggest comparison of all is Belichick took his act to New England and created the dynasty of our generation. Parcells didn't win it all but he took his band of merry men and made contenders out of New England and New York when they were complete dog feces.

This is a fairly unique situation, and I'm not confident there's any precedent to sit there and look at and say "This is what's going to happen." It's still up to Pioli and Haley to make good decisions.

Gruden left behind a shitload of people in Oakland. Dungy cycled through his coaches several times before hitting the right mix in Indy.

Of course here's the point that people are missing:

We've basically put the roadies to the Beatles in Arrowhead, and are expecting Paul and John to produce the White Album in the next decade.

Well, unfortunately Paul and John are still in Boston.

'Hamas' Jenkins
01-07-2010, 02:00 AM
Hell, bring Herring and Dat over at the same time... Herring as DC .. Dat as Linebackers coach. Or would you keep Gibbs?

I love Dat Nguyen as LB coach...even if he is VC.

Titty Meat
01-07-2010, 02:02 AM

Lets hire Joe Vitt

Hammock Parties
01-07-2010, 02:05 AM

We need all the sad fucks on our defense to take a death march.

Titty Meat
01-07-2010, 02:05 AM
Where was Wipe on this Claythan?

TigerPig
01-07-2010, 02:07 AM
Gruden left behind a shitload of people in Oakland. Dungy cycled through his coaches several times before hitting the right mix in Indy.

Of course here's the point that people are missing:

We've basically put the roadies to the Beatles in Arrowhead, and are expecting Paul and John to produce the White Album in the next decade.

Well, unfortunately Paul and John are still in Boston.

Paul and John were not the Beatles. George and Ringo were there to. It takes a whole team. And besides, it could be like The Yardbirds, where one group has Eric Clapton, Jeff Beck AND Jimmy Page... and Jimmy goes and forms his own band as a lead guitarist (but not lead vocalist like Eric).

LOL this is funny.

Mecca
01-07-2010, 02:11 AM
The problem with these guys is they already got their own chances to succeed and failed..so now they're coming here.

I will say this is a make it or break it type of move because with all the failures of the Pats assistants putting a bunch of them on the same staff with a GM from there...if this fails people are going to really start to crap on the NE guys.

Hammock Parties
Where was Wipe on this Claythan?

Yesterday at 9 AM it was on our board. That good enough for you?

'Hamas' Jenkins
Paul and John were not the Beatles. George and Ringo were there to. It takes a whole team. And besides, it could be like The Yardbirds, where one group has Eric Clapton, Jeff Beck AND Jimmy Page... and Jimmy goes and forms his own band as a lead guitarist (but not lead vocalist like Eric).

LOL this is funny.

kill yourself.

TigerPig
01-07-2010, 02:13 AM
The problem with these guys is they already got their own chances to succeed and failed..so now they're coming here.

I will say this is a make it or break it type of move because with all the failures of the Pats assistants putting a bunch of them on the same staff with a GM from there...if this fails people are going to really start to crap on the NE guys.

Its all about the classic question, "What makes New England GREAT instead of just good?" Its funny how a LOT of the questions on here are rehashes of the same 4 or 5 core issues. Its a "philosophy of sports," if you will.

:bong:ROFL

TigerPig
01-07-2010, 02:14 AM
kill yourself.

I guess you don't like my analogy as much as yours?

Mecca
01-07-2010, 02:15 AM
If you assemble a GM and a coaching staff comprised heavily of NE guys and it fails, Bill Belichick will then get even more credit as being the only coach that matters there.

'Hamas' Jenkins
01-07-2010, 02:16 AM
Its all about the classic question, "What makes New England GREAT instead of just good?" Its funny how a LOT of the questions on here are rehashes of the same 4 or 5 core issues. Its a "philosophy of sports," if you will.

:bong:ROFL

No, it's pretty fucking simple.

Tom Brady+Bill Belichick.

Meanwhile, all the lemmings seem to think that as long as you have the high explosives and the casing that you can just will the fissile material into place for the nuclear bomb.

Well you can't, and it's never coming here, so find a different way.

TigerPig
01-07-2010, 02:16 AM
No, it's pretty ****ing simple.

Tom Brady+Bill Belichick.

Meanwhile, all the lemmings seem to think that as long as you have the high explosives and the casing that you can just will the fissile material into place for the nuclear bomb.

Well you can't, and it's never coming here, so find a different way.

What way do you propose?

Mecca
01-07-2010, 02:17 AM
I mean really lets go hire Al Groh and Eric Mangini too, I'm sure that'll take us places.

'Hamas' Jenkins
01-07-2010, 02:22 AM
What way do you propose?

Hiring a GM from a mid-market team who built its core via the draft.

We should have hired someone from Baltimore (DeCosta) or Pittsburgh (Doug Whaley, Ron Hughes) not a guy from a team who fell into the luckiest pick in NFL history who supplemented their team through FA with a mediocre draft record.

Hootie
01-07-2010, 02:24 AM
Hamas...

Here's an idea.

Listening?

??

Ready?

GET
OVER
IT!

JFC

'Hamas' Jenkins
01-07-2010, 02:25 AM
Hamas...

Here's an idea.

Listening?

??

Ready?

GET
OVER
IT!

JFC

Hootie, here's an idea:

Die of gang rape in a prison shower.

Hootie
01-07-2010, 02:28 AM
I'm so mad we hired Pioli blah blah blah we shoulda hired someone else blah blah blah I'm going to shit over every Chiefs related thread because we didn't hire who I wanted blah blah blah I teach college kids I have zero football credentials whatsoever blah blah blah

AustinChief
01-07-2010, 02:30 AM

sweet... now let's hope for a Dallas loss to Philly so they are available in time. NOW... since we are putting together our preferred defense... who would we hire as d-line coach?

Bruce Clark? Bruce Smith? Trying to think of former 3-4 players of Wade's and can't come up with any that have coaching experience...

TigerPig
01-07-2010, 02:32 AM
Hiring a GM from a mid-market team who built its core via the draft.

We should have hired someone from Baltimore (DeCosta) or Pittsburgh (Doug Whaley, Ron Hughes) not a guy from a team who fell into the luckiest pick in NFL history who supplemented their team through FA with a mediocre draft record.

But since we didn't and we have the GM we do now, what do you propose? Is the team a total wash now cause we don't have a GM from a mid-market team?

And you think Kraft and Belichick are responsible solely for the front office success in New England, but you don't feel the same about the Rooneys and Cowher? I'm inclined to believe the success of the Steelers is from having a few key people as well. All of the others are plug-and-play.

'Hamas' Jenkins
I'm so mad we hired Pioli blah blah blah we shoulda hired someone else blah blah blah I'm going to shit over every Chiefs related thread because we didn't hire who I wanted blah blah blah I teach college kids I have zero football credentials whatsoever blah blah blah

You are literally so fucking stupid I don't know how you breathe.

Mecca
I see Hootie is using his draft weekend posting approach year round now.

'Hamas' Jenkins
01-07-2010, 02:35 AM
sweet... now let's hope for a Dallas loss to Philly so they are available in time. NOW... since we are putting together our prefferred defense... who would we hire as d-line coach?

Bruce Clark? Bruce Smith? Trying to think of former 3-4 players of Wade's and can't come up with any that have coaching experience...

Well, my preferred D is a 4-3, but if you had to get a 3-4, the best 3-4 DL coach is John Mitchell, but he's been in Pittsburgh since Cowher was hired.

Hootie
01-07-2010, 02:35 AM
I see Hootie is using his draft weekend posting approach year round now.

well if hamas and OTWP feel like being redundant all year I guess I'll follow their lead

Titty Meat
01-07-2010, 02:36 AM
well if hamas and OTWP feel like being redundant all year I guess I'll follow their lead

Redundant would be you fucking your pig with hairgel you greaser.

Mecca
01-07-2010, 02:39 AM
I thought Billay was about to call Hootie a guido.

AustinChief
01-07-2010, 02:39 AM
Well, my preferred D is a 4-3, but if you had to get a 3-4, the best 3-4 DL coach is John Mitchell, but he's been in Pittsburgh since Cowher was hired.

ok not preferred but of the Phillips 3-4 guys... (I actually really do like the Phillips 3-4 for it's aggression and flexibility... PLUS you aren't tied to a fatass NT)

I am trying to think of someone who isn't currently coaching d-line at the NFL level... which pretty much leaves us with former d-linemen or college coaches... unless there is an asst d-line coach I'm unaware of.

TigerPig
01-07-2010, 02:41 AM
ok not preferred but of the Phillips 3-4 guys... (I actually really do like the Phillips 3-4 for it's aggression and flexibility... PLUS you aren't tied to a fatass NT)

I am trying to think of someone who isn't currently coaching d-line at the NFL level... which pretty much leaves us with former d-linemen or college coaches... unless there is an asst d-line coach I'm unaware of.

Maybe this is where people think we should take one of those D-Line coaches and make them our coordinator???

'Hamas' Jenkins
01-07-2010, 02:42 AM
But since we didn't and we have the GM we do now, what do you propose? Is the team a total wash now cause we don't have a GM from a mid-market team?

And you think Kraft and Belichick are responsible solely for the front office success in New England, but you don't feel the same about the Rooneys and Cowher? I'm inclined to believe the success of the Steelers is from having a few key people as well. All of the others are plug-and-play.

New England has great ownership, Belichick and Tom Brady.

We have none of those.

Indianapolis has great ownership, a great front office (who built 3 contenders) and Peyton Manning.

Pittsburgh has great ownership, Polamalu, Hampton, and Roethlisberger.

Our problem is that we have no organizational philosophy aside from "Just do exactly what happened in New England".

Well, no two scenarios are exactly the same.

The reason why a guy like Mike Tomlin is a good coach is b/c he's a Tampa 2 guy but he realizes his talent works best in a 3-4, so he doesnt' fuck with it. Pittsburgh also drafts to the strength of the draft (which is why they drafted multiple OL in the mid-late rounds last year, and got a guy like Mike Wallace and a better 5 tech at 32 than we did at 3)

Titty Meat
01-07-2010, 02:43 AM
Why isn't Clark Hunt a great owner?

Mecca
01-07-2010, 02:45 AM
It just blows my mind that you can point out several draft built cap savvy teams, Colts, Ravens, Eagles, Packers, Pittsburgh..

And we hire people from the franchise that tripped assbackwards into it's QB and masks it's draft failures by using it's big market cash.

One of those teams is not like the others, one of those teams does not have a repeatable strategy.

Hammock Parties
01-07-2010, 02:45 AM

Because he hasn't proven jack yet. Other than the fact that he can be an executor of change.

Titty Meat
01-07-2010, 02:46 AM
Because he hasn't proven jack yet. Other than the fact that he can be an executor of change.

My opinon he's a cheap fucker.

Mecca
01-07-2010, 02:48 AM
Clark Hunt hired the biggest name GM on the market, that's a bit concerning to me many times the biggest name guy out there isn't the best choice.

TigerPig
New England has great ownership, Belichick and Tom Brady.

We have none of those.

Indianapolis has great ownership, a great front office (who built 3 contenders) and Peyton Manning.

Pittsburgh has great ownership, Polamalu, Hampton, and Roethlisberger.

Our problem is that we have no organizational philosophy aside from "Just do exactly what happened in New England".

Well, no two scenarios are exactly the same.

The reason why a guy like Mike Tomlin is a good coach is b/c he's a Tampa 2 guy but he realizes his talent works best in a 3-4, so he doesnt' **** with it. Pittsburgh also drafts to the strength of the draft (which is why they drafted multiple OL in the mid-late rounds last year, and got a guy like Mike Wallace and a better 5 tech at 32 than we did at 3)

Okay, well if our ownership sucks, I don't know what you want. What is your solution other than cheering for Pittsburgh? These people are already taken, and the ones you're saying work in these organizations IMO are the same style of people we've taken from NE. With both groups its whether or not this person has anything to do with the success of the team.

I don't see any difference between doing what we're doing now, and doing what you're proposing other than basing it around different teams. The people are different, but its not like there's any less of a risk either way. I don't see a difference in risk hiring Weis than anyone in the Steeler organization that they are actually willing to part with. And a difference in talent is something neither you nor I can accurately measure, nor anyone else can. So that's a moot point.

Hammock Parties
My opinon he's a cheap fucker.

I don't know about this. It would have been easy for him to mandate keeping Thigpen because Cassel was "too expensive."

If Clark was as cheap as you think there were a lot cheaper options than making Pioli the highest-paid GM in football.

TigerPig
01-07-2010, 02:49 AM
Clark Hunt hired the biggest name GM on the market, that's a bit concerning to me many times the biggest name guy out there isn't the best choice.

Its like the draft. A lot of times the biggest name isn't the best choice. But at the same time everything you've been told about the person and everything you've seen tells you its the right move.

Titty Meat
01-07-2010, 02:50 AM
I don't know about this. It would have been easy for him to mandate keeping Thigpen because Cassel was "too expensive."

If Clark was as cheap as you think there were a lot cheaper options than making Pioli the highest-paid GM in football.

It took him forever to hire a GM. He was probably trying to squeeze every penny out of Pioli.

Mecca
Okay, well if our ownership sucks, I don't know what you want. What is your solution other than cheering for Pittsburgh? These people are already taken, and the ones you're saying work in these organizations IMO are the same style of people we've taken from NE. With both groups its whether or not this person has anything to do with the success of the team.

I don't see any difference between doing what we're doing now, and doing what you're proposing other than basing it around different teams. The people are different, but its not like there's any less of a risk either way. I don't see a difference in hiring Weis than anyone in the Steeler organization that they are actually willing to part with. And a difference in talent is something neither you nor I can accurately measure, nor anyone else can. So that's a moot point.

You should look at my post about what teams have a repeatable strategy and what team doesn't.

Titty Meat
And then making Haley keep Gailey? Wtf?

Hammock Parties
It took him forever to hire a GM. He was probably trying to squeeze every penny out of Pioli.

I think he was performing his due diligence.

'Hamas' Jenkins
01-07-2010, 02:51 AM

Because he doesn't give a shit about the Chiefs.

Mecca
01-07-2010, 02:52 AM
The Hunts have cared how much money the Chiefs made them for my entire life, that's just how it is.

There are many other owners that care far more about winning than Clark Hunt or Lamar did in my lifespan.

Hammock Parties
01-07-2010, 02:52 AM

I honestly don't know how anyone can witness the change in this franchise since last December and argue this with a straight face.

Mecca
01-07-2010, 02:53 AM
I honestly don't know how anyone can witness the change in this franchise since last December and argue this with a straight face.

He cares about the profit the Chiefs turn for him and he knew he couldn't sell the base Carl anymore so he went and got the casual fan the biggest name guy on the market...think about it.

Hell most of the informed posters on here didn't want Pioli.

Titty Meat
01-07-2010, 02:54 AM

And Obama is a muslim. I need details Hamas if he didn't give a shit wouldn't he have just hired Bill Kuharich?

'Hamas' Jenkins
01-07-2010, 02:54 AM

Why, because he hired the most well known candidate?

That can be laziness as much as due diligence.

They treat this team as an investment rather than a competitive entity.

Mecca
01-07-2010, 02:55 AM
If he cares so much why is he never at games?

I always wonder if some fans of the Chiefs are stunned when other owners are shown at their teams games.

Titty Meat
01-07-2010, 02:55 AM
He cares about the profit the Chiefs turn for him and he knew he couldn't sell the base Carl anymore so he went and got the casual fan the biggest name guy on the market...think about it.

Hell most of the informed posters on here didn't want Pioli.

I wanted Pioli you sayin i'm not informed? If it were all about money wouldn't there be motivation to win seeing as the team would make more money?

Mecca
01-07-2010, 02:56 AM
The Chiefs were selling out going 8-8...

This year the Chiefs were far under the cap...he got them about the only GM candidate that the casual fan would know by name.

That's an investment move.

BossChief
01-07-2010, 02:56 AM
I can tell you from personal experience that John Mitchell is probably never leaving Pittsburgs coaching staff unless he retires before he dies. He has passed over many job opportunities because he loves coaching the DL in Pittsburg. He doesn't want anything more.

I have some friends from around that neck of the woods that ran many fund raisers that he was involved in and he was staying put. He has declined to interview for at least 3 different coordinator positions but chose to stay.

'Hamas' Jenkins
01-07-2010, 02:57 AM
And Obama is a muslim. I need details Hamas if he didn't give a shit wouldn't he have just hired Bill Kuharich?

Skipping games to go to MLS games is a good start. He also spends almost all his time in Dallas, and is on hand for probably fewer than 10 Chiefs-related functions a year.

Mecca
It still blows my mind why more teams don't steal Eagles defensive coaches, to me that is the best scheme going today.

Hammock Parties
Why, because he hired the most well known candidate?

It's more than just Pioli. It's all the extra money they poured into the stadium, signing off on trading a known commodity like Tony Gonzalez (if all he cared about was money trading Gonzalez makes no sense), the point I already made about Cassel....Hunt is at the games all the time, even when it's cold as fuck. For crissakes, he was unpacking boxes at some charity event earlier this year.

I think Clark Hunt gives a very large shit.

'Hamas' Jenkins
01-07-2010, 02:58 AM
I wanted Pioli you sayin i'm not informed? If it were all about money wouldn't there be motivation to win seeing as the team would make more money?

You only have to win 7-9 games a year to satisfy this fan base.

TigerPig
You should look at my post about what teams have a repeatable strategy and what team doesn't.

NE has a repeatable strategy. Just because they got Brady in the 6th round doesn't make it any more or less repeatable. There are TONS of teams in this league using Pittsburgh's strategy when it comes to player scouting and drafting. But just because you try doesn't mean you can.

This is why I don't see the problem with Weis. I think Pittsburgh would go after Weis if they had the position to fill this year. Its not like they think they're so special they don't have to recognize talent from other places.

Hammock Parties
If he cares so much why is he never at games?

He was at the Denver game this year. Last year he was at the game against Miami when it was about 2 degrees. I know he goes to more games.

Saying he's never at games is a bunch of BS.

Mecca
01-07-2010, 02:59 AM
So do you think we spent no money FA because Clark would only sign off on 1 move being Cassel factoring in the Jackson pick you know playing in that he's cheap...

Or was Pioli really naive to think this team had talent?

'Hamas' Jenkins
It's more than just Pioli. It's all the extra money they poured into the stadium, signing off on trading a known commodity like Tony Gonzalez (if all he cared about was money trading Gonzalez makes no sense), the point I already made about Cassel....Hunt is at the games all the time, even when it's cold as fuck. For crissakes, he was unpacking boxes at some charity event earlier this year.

HE'S THE FUCKING OWNER. He should be at every game, preseason, minicamps, OTAs, training camp.

Who gives a fuck if he throws on a peacoat and flies up to KC when it's cold. How is that commitment?

Mecca
NE has a repeatable strategy. Just because they got Brady in the 6th round doesn't make it any more or less repeatable. There are TONS of teams in this league using Pittsburgh's strategy when it comes to player scouting and drafting. But just because you try doesn't mean you can.

This is why I don't see the problem with Weis. I think Pittsburgh would go after Weis if they had the position to fill this year. Its not like they think they're so special they don't have to recognize talent from other places.

I got nothing against Charlie Weis, it's not that move by itself, it's all of them together.

Hammock Parties
01-07-2010, 03:00 AM
So do you think we spent no money FA because Clark would only sign off on 1 move being Cassel factoring in the Jackson pick you know playing in that he's cheap...

I know they went after Haynesworth, so they wanted to spend money. Just not as much as the Redskins...and who can blame them for that?

Titty Meat
Skipping games to go to MLS games is a good start. He also spends almost all his time in Dallas, and is on hand for probably fewer than 10 Chiefs-related functions a year.

To be fair the Chiefs had 1 win and Columbus was in the championship game. I don't know if all owners live in the same town where they own the team? And just about every Chiefs game I've been to I saw Clark or Lamar.

Mecca
Well I do think regardless of how tarded they may be at times, Dan Snyder and Jerry Jones care far more about winning than our owner does.

TigerPig
01-07-2010, 03:01 AM

Its cause he doesn't have a ring like his daddy did. And he wants one.

Kinda like a Master's Jacket, you carry that shit around with you forever. Even if you only win one once, you wear it when it happened 40 years ago.

'Hamas' Jenkins

Putting that money into the stadium was an investment move. It had nothing to do with passion.

Mecca
To be fair the Chiefs had 1 win and Columbus was in the championship game. I don't know if all owners live in the same town where they own the team? And just about every Chiefs game I've been to I saw Clark or Lamar.

Sometimes you should accept if you own an NFL team you should be at every game, 1% of the American population cares about soccer.

Hammock Parties
HE'S THE FUCKING OWNER. He should be at every game, preseason, minicamps, OTAs, training camp.

He is a large presence at training camp.

You do realize he has other responsibilities than just Chiefs football...and technically he's the Chairman of the Board, he's not the owner.

If he didn't give a shit he wouldn't come to camp at all.

Titty Meat

Didn't they sign like 20 guys this offseason? You don't spend big money on players year 1 of building a team.

TigerPig
01-07-2010, 03:02 AM
Well I do think regardless of how tarded they may be at times, Dan Snyder and Jerry Jones care far more about winning than our owner does.

Cause they're more outspoken? I think Clark wants to win, and he knows the best way he can do that is to step back, shut up, hire the best guy (he thinks is best) for the job, and support him.

Titty Meat
01-07-2010, 03:02 AM

You follow baseball right? David Glass is a cheap owner.

Mecca
01-07-2010, 03:03 AM
Signing guys to minimum contracts is not being a player in FA.

This team was devoid of talent with huge cap space with an uncapped year looming and spent no money, explain how that is well thought out.

Mecca
01-07-2010, 03:03 AM
Cause they're more outspoken? I think Clark wants to win, and he knows the best way he can do that is to step back, shut up, hire the best guy (he thinks is best) for the job, and support him.

No not that part...I think Snyder and Jones will spend for a player they think will put them over the top, I don't see that with our team.

Titty Meat
01-07-2010, 03:04 AM
Signing guys to minimum contracts is not being a player in FA.

This team was devoid of talent with huge cap space with an uncapped year looming and spent no money, explain how that is well thought out.

See what Pioli does this offseason before you can judge that.

Mecca
01-07-2010, 03:05 AM
Well if we go to uncapped year he won't be doing anything because there aren't going to be any FA's.

See the problem?

TigerPig
I got nothing against Charlie Weis, it's not that move by itself, it's all of them together.

Why not? That's a great idea, cause there's already chemistry! You don't have to take a year to have everyone acclimate to each other. Its like, "You two have already met? Good, now lets start winning!"

You want to start winning sooner than later? Try using a coaching crew that already knows each other. That's that much less time they have to figure stuff out.

BossChief
Clark Hunt $$$ spent

Stadium Renovations
Matt Cassel
Scott Pioli
Todd Haley
Firing Herm Edwards
Tyson Jackson
was in the running for Haynesworth (supposedly, who really knows?)

How do you know if Clark does or doesnt attend games? I know that Lamar only missed less than a handfull of games in like 40 years.

If you wanna talk shit about Lamar Hunt, go follow the fucking Falcons or something.

Mecca
01-07-2010, 03:06 AM
I'm sorry, in the time I've been alive I can't say Lamar Hunt cared that much about the team winning games.

Titty Meat
01-07-2010, 03:06 AM
Well if we go to uncapped year he won't be doing anything because there aren't going to be any FA's.

See the problem?

Maybe Pioli makes a move for a guy like Cribbs we'll see.

Titty Meat
01-07-2010, 03:07 AM

If you wanna talk shit about Lamar Hunt, go follow the ****ing Falcons or something.

He was a nice man but in my lifetime his franchise really did suck.

TigerPig
01-07-2010, 03:08 AM
No not that part...I think Snyder and Jones will spend for a player they think will put them over the top, I don't see that with our team.

I don't want them to spend a lot on a big player. Its like putting the fountain up in front of your house before its built.

Until we have a solid player at every position, I don't want to see us go after that lunker of a FA. Free Agency is an EXPENSIVE way to build your team, a good team does so in the draft.

And if you think Pioli sucks at drafting players, then... it SUCKS TO BE YOU! :) Cause he's here, he's going to be drafting them for a while now (see how long our last GM was here), and there's nothing you can do about it.

Mecca
01-07-2010, 03:10 AM
Well dude if you look at the Pats drafting history...it's pretty subpar especially as the years have gone on.

I'm a big proponent of the draft but I thought the Chiefs should have spent money this year, when you are that far under the cap, have no one to resign in the near future but have no players who are in the 26-30 range because you had very poor past drafts you should spend some money.

The Chiefs basically have money to spend because they drafted so poorly they have no stars to resign.

Titty Meat
01-07-2010, 03:12 AM
Well dude if you look at the Pats drafting history...it's pretty subpar especially as the years have gone on.

I'm a big proponent of the draft but I thought the Chiefs should have spent money this year, when you are that far under the cap, have no one to resign in the near future but have no players who are in the 26-30 range because you had very poor past drafts you should spend some money.

The Chiefs basically have money to spend because they drafted so poorly they have no stars to resign.

I'd rather build the core through the draft and sign free agents to fill some holes. I'm not a fan of drafting based on need.

'Hamas' Jenkins
01-07-2010, 03:20 AM
Clark Hunt $$$ spent

Stadium Renovations
Matt Cassel
Scott Pioli
Todd Haley
Firing Herm Edwards
Tyson Jackson
was in the running for Haynesworth (supposedly, who really knows?)

How do you know if Clark does or doesnt attend games? I know that Lamar only missed less than a handfull of games in like 40 years.

If you wanna talk shit about Lamar Hunt, go follow the fucking Falcons or something.

The Hunt family is pretty damned seedy. There are a shitload of scumbags infested in the familial lines. Hell, some of Lamar's brothers contributed to groups that helped fund Iran Contra. Of course, several were also convicted felons, and his dad was a man whore. Lamar himself was no saint as a businessman.

He turned a 25K investment into a multimillion dollar franchise. Good for him. But once he won the SB his level of interest waned significantly, which is why we had 2 GMs for 40 years and less than a handful of playoff wins.

Mecca
01-07-2010, 03:21 AM
That is a completely different argument, you know the Pats core right now is a FA built core right?

Their drafts have really shit the bed as of late.

Titty Meat
01-07-2010, 03:22 AM
That is a completely different argument, you know the Pats core right now is a FA built core right?

Their drafts have really shit the bed as of late.

Child please. Brady, Seymour, Wilfork, Mayo, The O-line?

'Hamas' Jenkins
01-07-2010, 03:22 AM
Maybe Pioli makes a move for a guy like Cribbs we'll see.

Josh Cribbs is a nice player, but if he's what we're pinning our hopes on, they should just nuke the whole fucking complex and start over.

Titty Meat
01-07-2010, 03:23 AM
The Hunt family is pretty damned seedy. There are a shitload of scumbags infested in the familial lines. Hell, some of Lamar's brothers contributed to groups that helped fund Iran Contra. Of course, several were also convicted felons, and his dad was a man whore. Lamar himself was no saint as a businessman.

He turned a 25K investment into a multimillion dollar franchise. Good for him. But once he won the SB his level of interest waned significantly, which is why we had 2 GMs for 40 years and less than a handful of playoff wins.

Don't forget he was good friends with the Bush's. Politics aside look at how George W. Bush ran the Texas Rangers.

Mecca
01-07-2010, 03:23 AM
Seymour isn't on that team right now so how does he count?

Titty Meat
01-07-2010, 03:24 AM
Seymour isn't on that team right now so how does he count?

Now you're nitpicking. Most of the good Pats players were drafted and to fill holes Belichick/Pioli targeted talent from other teams and made moves for said talent.

Mecca
01-07-2010, 03:24 AM
Also the Pats shitting the bed in the draft is why they still have a shitty RB and why their defense has faded, all of the young guys they drafted to come in and play suck ass aside from Mayo, who should be good any LB that went where he did should be that player.

Mecca
01-07-2010, 03:25 AM
Most of their good players were drafted..

2 of their 3 best offensive players were not drafted by them...

They're awful at drafting rush backers even in their bowl winning years, Vrabel, Colvin, Thomas etc etc none of those guys were drafted by the Pats they're all FA moves.

Titty Meat
01-07-2010, 03:26 AM
Also the Pats shitting the bed in the draft is why they still have a shitty RB and why their defense has faded, all of the young guys they drafted to come in and play suck ass aside from Mayo, who should be good any LB that went where he did should be that player.

I'm not saying the Patriots are the best at drafting especially the last few drafts but then again I seem to remember you saying Dmitroff was in charge of drafting and Pioli was the guy that worked with Belichick signing free agents and trading for players.

Titty Meat
01-07-2010, 03:28 AM

They're awful at drafting rush backers even in their bowl winning years, Vrabel, Colvin, Thomas etc etc none of those guys were drafted by the Pats they're all FA moves.

Colvin & Thomas weren't worth the money but still the defense was pretty good and they made a few super bowls.

Mecca
01-07-2010, 03:28 AM
Well after this last draft I'm certainly not going to hold my breath because that was an epic disaster.

TigerPig
01-07-2010, 03:29 AM

But they also weren't the huge picks of the FA season. What makes NE so great is all of their picks (minus Moss, and maybe Corey Dillon) fly under the radar for the most part. They keep getting quality players to make a solid team.

They draft what they can, and fill in the rest, but without spending an obscene amount of money on a few players.

Mecca
Colvin & Thomas weren't worth the money but still the defense was pretty good and they made a few super bowls.

The point is the Pats are a team that has spent a lot of FA money to build that team, we're not looking at the Colts or Ravens here or even the Eagles who are a mostly drafted team with some FA's sprinkled in.

Titty Meat
I agree with you the last draft sucked but also I would give it a few years before saying it for sure.

Mecca
01-07-2010, 03:30 AM
But they also weren't the huge picks of the FA season. What makes NE so great is all of their picks (minus Moss, and maybe Corey Dillon) fly under the radar for the most part. They keep getting quality players to make a solid team.

They draft what they can, and fill in the rest, but without spending an obscene amount of money on a few players.

Adalius Thomas has a gigantic contract...he was the #1 available LB his FA year so really lets not play that card.

Titty Meat
01-07-2010, 03:31 AM
The point is the Pats are a team that has spent a lot of FA money to build that team, we're not looking at the Colts or Ravens here or even the Eagles who are a mostly drafted team with some FA's sprinkled in.

Dude when the Patriots were good in the early 2000's the did the same thing Pioli is trying to do now. Build through the draft and acquire talent to fill holes. They signed alot of guys for small contracts, it wasn't until the mid-2000's if I remember correctly when they started signing guys to big contracts.

BossChief
01-07-2010, 03:32 AM

Or was Pioli really naive to think this team had talent?Let me get this straight?

You would be backing it if Pioli went full retard in signing Haynesworth to that full retard deal? How about Jason Brown to his retarded deal? You think we had a chance at Canty or Igor? If you said yes, you know less about football than I thought and I have to reaccess my opinion of you.

I'm sorry, in the time I've been alive I can't say Lamar Hunt cared that much about the team winning games.

This definitely changed my opinion of you.

It is one of the most ignorant things I have ever read about any topic; football or non football related, in my entire 31 year old life. Congratulations!

Why exactly do you claim to like this team, again?

All I see is a guy that hates everything to do with his, supposed, loved team!

Im not sure I have read anything from any of your posts in all the time I have been here that would indicate that you even like this team.

I hate to say it and with all due respect, you seem to have the attitude of a quitter. You seem to have no feelings of hope that we can get better and that we will be stuck eternally in the cellar. If so, why claim to like the team, just go ahead and sell me all your Chiefs stuff and you can go and buy your Sanchez jersey like everyone knows you want to.

If you dont like the Weis hire, hate is blinding your objectivity.

He was a nice man but in my lifetime his franchise really did suck.
so, that is because he didnt want to win?

JFC

I forgot, his teams were always well below the salary cap and he just pocketed cash year in and year out without doing everything from his point of view to put good people in position to do a job for him and then somewhat let them do their job. If he medled in the affairs that are the GMs job, he would get criticized for it but because he tries to put the best man for the job in the position and let him work, he is the bad guy?

:shake:

Mecca
01-07-2010, 03:34 AM
Good thing they did because they lacked talent because they drafted like crap....

The Patriots have a lot more in common with the Cowboys than they do the Eagles or Colts or Ravens.

The Cowboys have some nice draft picks but were largely built in FA, actually the Cowboys might have more draft picks playing for them than the Pats do. That's where we have to think about the perception of how teams were built since I assume most would not classify the Cowboys and Pats near each other in how they build teams.

Titty Meat
01-07-2010, 03:34 AM
Let me get this straight?

You would be backing it if Pioli went full retard in signing Haynesworth to that full retard deal? How about Jason Brown to his retarded deal? You think we had a chance at Canty or Igor? If you said yes, you know less about football than I thought and I have to reaccess my opinion of you.

This definitely changed my opinion of you.

It is one of the most ignorant things I have ever read about any topic; football or non football related, in my entire 31 year old life. Congratulations!

Why exactly do you claim to like this team, again?

All I see is a guy that hates everything to do with his, supposed, loved team!

Im not sure I have read anything from any of your posts in all the time I have been here that would indicate that you even like this team.

I hate to say it and with all due respect, you seem to have the attitude of a quitter. You seem to have no feelings of hope that we can get better and that we will be stuck eternally in the cellar. If so, why claim to like the team, just go ahead and sell me all your Chiefs stuff and you can go and buy your Sanchez jersey like everyone knows you want to.

If you dont like the Weis hire, hate is blinding your objectivity.

so, that is because he didnt want to win?

JFC

I forgot, his teams were always well below the salary cap and he just pocketed cash year in and year out without doing everything from his point of view to put good people in position to do a job for him and then somewhat let them do their job. If he medled in the affairs that are the GMs job, he would get criticized for it but because he tries to put the best man for the job in the position and let him work, he is the bad guy?

:shake:

It has nothing to do with him being a bad guy, When I met him he was a nice guy but reguardless the team won only a few playoff games and he didn't do his job. He allowed Carl Peterson to hire his friends besides Marty I think every other coach Carl hired was a personal friend.

Mecca
01-07-2010, 03:36 AM
I see that is a nerve for Boss Chief, I'm sorry I can't jump around with a happy hat on after a team being inept for upwards of 20 years.

Kinda makes you want evidence before you just you know say hey they know what they're doing.

'Hamas' Jenkins
01-07-2010, 03:36 AM
BossChief, you're going to have to get over the myth that this team was anything more than an investment and a passing hobby for Lamar for the last 30 years of his life.

BossChief
01-07-2010, 03:42 AM
It has nothing to do with him being a bad guy, When I met him he was a nice guy but reguardless the team won only a few playoff games and he didn't do his job. He allowed Carl Peterson to hire his friends besides Marty I think every other coach Carl hired was a personal friend.

dude, he got Vermeil in here and we were the ONLY team he didnt bring to a championship game/superbowl in his whole life!

UCLA
Philly
Rams
Chiefs

Marty was a Phillip Rivers away from a Championship team year in and year out. Too bad Joe couldnt have gotten here a little sooner.

I dont see how Lamar can be blamed for our team starting to suck after he passes and I damn sure wont sit idely by and let some bullshit mutherfuker sit from his moms basement on her computer and piss on the great mans grave!

Without the Hunts love for this fanbase and city, this team would have been moved to LA a long time ago.

TigerPig
01-07-2010, 03:43 AM

I think if people had any clue how much of a gamble the draft is, they wouldn't complain nearly as much. And I think if you took 32 GMs, put them in the same scenario (you are the GM for said team, need these certain things and have this pick), most of them would come up with the same answer.

If it wasn't a total guessing game, The Steelers wouldn't have picked Rashard Mendenhall and would have gone with the RB the Titans got with the next freaking pick... Chris Johnson.

'Hamas' Jenkins
01-07-2010, 03:43 AM
dude, he got Vermeil in here and we were the ONLY team he didnt bring to a championship game/superbowl in his whole life!

UCLA
Philly
Rams
Chiefs

Marty was a Phillip Rivers away from a Championship team year in and year out. Too bad Joe couldnt have gotten here a little sooner.

I dont see how Lamar can be blamed for our team starting to suck after he passes and I damn sure wont sit idely by and let some bullshit mutherfuker sit from his moms basement on her computer and piss on the great mans grave!

Without the Hunts love for this fanbase and city, this team would have been moved to LA a long time ago.

If they loved this city so much, why don't they live here?

Jesus, take a Thorazine.

'Hamas' Jenkins
01-07-2010, 03:47 AM
I think if people had any clue how much of a gamble the draft is, they wouldn't complain nearly as much. And I think if you took 32 GMs, put them in the same scenario (you are the GM for said team, need these certain things and have this pick), most of them would come up with the same answer.

If it wasn't a total guessing game, The Steelers wouldn't have picked Rashard Mendenhall and would have gone with the RB the Titans with the next freaking pick... Chris Johnson.

Because the Steelers just got lucky.

It's not like they drafted Aaron Smith, Roethlisberger, Polamalu, Casey Hampton, Keisel, Holmes, Ward, Timmons, Woodley, Mike Wallace, Ziggy Hood, or Ike Taylor.

:facepalm:

They were looking for a power back in that spot. They had their speed guy in Parker. They needed a replacement for Bettis. They got the best power back available at that point in the draft.

TigerPig
01-07-2010, 03:47 AM
Jesus, take a Thorazine.

kill yourself.

Uh, better take one yourself while you're at it.

I'll take one too, it'll be fun.

TigerPig
01-07-2010, 03:50 AM

It's not like they drafted Aaron Smith, Roethlisberger, Polamalu, Casey Hampton, Keisel, Holmes, Ward, Timmons, Woodley, Mike Wallace, Ziggy Hood, or Ike Taylor.

They were looking for a power back in that spot. They had their speed guy in Parker. They needed a replacement for Bettis. They got the best power back available at that point in the draft.

And you seriously think we could replicate these results with ANY sort of personnel Pittsburgh would be willing to give up? Do you not think EVERY SINGLE F*CKING TEAM in the league is trying to do the same thing they are? The people who are good enough that make this stuff happen? Yeah, we're never going to get them, they are already taken. They will never leave the franchises they are from, so you have to find the best person AVAILABLE. You have to make your own Pittsburgh.

And like I said before. It must suck to hate the current regime this much cause they aren't going anywhere for a while. I suggest you stop watching if it infuriates you this much.

BossChief
01-07-2010, 03:56 AM
BossChief, you're going to have to get over the myth that this team was anything more than an investment and a passing hobby for Lamar for the last 30 years of his life.

it does indeed strike a fucking nerve with me because if they didnt care about winning, only money, they could have moved the team to LA and CASHED IN BIG TIME!

They didnt!

They spent their cash on Cassel and the best available GM candidate then tried to get the biggest FA out there signed till Scrooge McDuck came in on his white horse and his 100 million to get him no matter what. They spent 100s of millions to update the historic Arrowhead instead of blowing it up and spending that money in a market that is 100 times bigger than KCs or just destroying the stadium and its history and building a brand new one without any history, thats love!

Lamar Hunt lived in Texas and flew in for EVERY game and cheered like a HS kid when we scored. He was a great owner! We almost never lost our own players, we just didnt have the people in place to draft like the great teams did. Lamar trusted CP more and longer than he should have, but he knew his history of building winners and trusted him to do his job to the best of his ability. I think he was sold into CPs slickness and made a mistake when we had the whole Marty/CP blowup, but whatever.

Say all you want about Clark, I have reserved judgement on him, but dont piss on Lamars grave!

JD10367
01-07-2010, 08:34 AM

Not quite true. The Pats have a mixture of young and old, but it just so happens that a lot of the youth is in the defensive backfield, and the front four aren't getting enough pressure on the QB so the DBs are getting exposed.

Don't get me wrong, the Pats drafts have been hit-or-miss, as I posted elsewhere. But they've hit on some late-rounders, and made some nice FA pickups. It's not just all about the draft. The question--yet to be answered--is whether or not Pioli can draft on his own. One draft does not make a great indicator.

JD10367
01-07-2010, 08:36 AM
Wha??

Parcells never won a playoff game w/o Belichick. Not one. Despite having the same guys almost everywhere else wherever he went, he never replicated that success.

And Belichick has never won a Super Bowl without Weis and Crennel. :shrug: You can play the "what if" game all you like.

BossChief
01-07-2010, 08:45 AM
Kinda makes you want evidence before you just you know say hey they know what they're doing.

I think I got the just of this, but damn....

AustinChief
01-07-2010, 03:26 PM

I still hold to my belief that they got a STEAL in Mendenhall at that point...

looking back, I may have underestimated Chris Johnson... but I also think he benifits enormously by having Vince Young as a running threat in the backfield...

That said.. Mendenhall is proving to be a far better back than McFadden or Jones. Personally, I'd rather have him over Rice, Stewart or Forte as well.

chiefzilla1501
01-07-2010, 03:29 PM

I think Lamar loved the Chiefs. If he didn't, he wouldn't have fought to keep a moderately profitable in Kansas City in Arrowhead, rather than ship them off to a major market. Which I'm sure he had millions of opportunities to do.

His flaw is and always will be that he, like Carl Peterson, let loyalty get in the way of business. He let Carl Peterson run the entire show for too long and to run pretty much unchecked.

talastan
01-07-2010, 04:23 PM
Looks like we're waiting on Crennel. He's coaching the Shrine East-West game. Good chance to scout some college talent?

http://chiefsblog.kansascity.com/?q=node/1182

salame
01-08-2010, 03:20 AM
The best thing about the weis hire is that he is going to install the exact same offense gailey installed that todd haley un-installed right before the season
lol

BossChief
01-08-2010, 04:18 AM
The best thing about the weis hire is that he is going to install the exact same offense gailey installed that todd haley un-installed right before the season
lol

All three offenses are a variation of the perkins erdhart system that they all run. Its just a matter of the variation of it they choose to play. I think Haley just didnt want to build an offense primarily around the shotgun.

The real difference in what Gailey was doing and what Charlie does is the shotgun, other than that the offense is very similar.

Hootie
01-08-2010, 04:35 AM
And Belichick has never won a Super Bowl without Weis and Crennel. :shrug: You can play the "what if" game all you like.

ROFL

That's true...

keg in kc
01-08-2010, 05:19 AM
There's a pretty major difference between Gailey and Weis. Gailey likes his offenses to run the ball, and Weis likes them to throw it. Which is a lot closer to Haley's MO. The idea that Weis is going to install a system like Gailey did is probably 180 degrees from reality.

The Bad Guy
01-08-2010, 06:55 AM
There's a pretty major difference between Gailey and Weis. Gailey likes his offenses to run the ball, and Weis likes them to throw it. Which is a lot closer to Haley's MO. The idea that Weis is going to install a system like Gailey did is probably 180 degrees from reality.

It is.

Gailey's offenses ran to set up the pass. Weis's offense pass to set up the run.

The Bad Guy
01-08-2010, 06:57 AM

looking back, I may have underestimated Chris Johnson... but I also think he benifits enormously by having Vince Young as a running threat in the backfield...

That said.. Mendenhall is proving to be a far better back than McFadden or Jones. Personally, I'd rather have him over Rice, Stewart or Forte as well.

You'd rather Mendenhall over Jonathan Stewart and Ray Rice?

That's just fucking lunacy. Jonathan Stewart, if he was a full-time starter is an instant top 5 back in this league. The guy is a complete monster.

Mendenhall hasn't showed anything close to that.

AustinChief
01-08-2010, 01:35 PM
You'd rather Mendenhall over Jonathan Stewart and Ray Rice?

That's just ****ing lunacy. Jonathan Stewart, if he was a full-time starter is an instant top 5 back in this league. The guy is a complete monster.

Mendenhall hasn't showed anything close to that.

I disagree. I think Mendenhall is the best ALL AROUND back of that bunch.. great hands , better blocker and a solid runner.

'Hamas' Jenkins
01-08-2010, 01:38 PM

I agree with you. I thought Mendenhall was the #1 back in the draft that year.

Titty Meat
01-08-2010, 01:43 PM
Does anyone know if there will be a press confrence introducing Weis? I'll just throw this out there if there was and it's delayed wouldn't that be a good indication that the Chiefs will introduce Weis & Crennel?

Brock
01-08-2010, 01:44 PM
I don't think they're going to get Crennel.

Sure-Oz
01-08-2010, 01:44 PM
Does anyone know if there will be a press confrence introducing Weis? I'll just throw this out there if there was and it's delayed wouldn't that be a good indication that the Chiefs will introduce Weis & Crennel?

This isn't wrestling, like hulk hogan turning heel and forming with the nWo

Archie Bunker
01-08-2010, 01:45 PM

http://www.kcchiefs.com/news/2010/01/08/insider_blog_case_for_croyle/

WEIS SPEAKS
January 8th – 1:26 PM

The Chiefs will not hold an introductory press conference for new offensive coordinator Charlie Weis, but head coach Todd Haley did join Weis on a conference call with members of the media. Have a listen to what Haley and Weis had to say right here.

OnTheWarpath15
01-08-2010, 01:46 PM
http://www.kcchiefs.com/news/2010/01/08/insider_blog_case_for_croyle/

WEIS SPEAKS
January 8th – 1:26 PM

The Chiefs will not hold an introductory press conference for new offensive coordinator Charlie Weis, but head coach Todd Haley did join Weis on a conference call with members of the media. Have a listen to what Haley and Weis had to say right here.

Why are they hiding him?

Chiefnj2
01-08-2010, 01:46 PM
It is.

Gailey's offenses ran to set up the pass. Weis's offense pass to set up the run.

He ran the ball a lot with the Jets.

OnTheWarpath15
01-08-2010, 01:51 PM
He ran the ball a lot with the Jets.

These numbers from Gretz would lead you to believe he ran a lot more than he passed:

Weis spent eight seasons as an NFL offensive coordinator. When you look at the overall numbers, they are not very impressive. On average, those eight teams finished 25th in offensive yards, 11th in rushing yards and 25th in passing yards.

If I have some free time this afternoon, I may dive a bit deeper into this.

kcxiv
01-08-2010, 01:55 PM
It is.

Not in KC he didnt. We havent had any run game to set up a damned thing. Until Jamaal

BIG_DADDY
01-08-2010, 02:16 PM
Cool

Sweet Dick Willy
01-10-2010, 12:21 AM
I picture the "getting the( NE )band back together being somewhat like the Beatles reuniting but with Cassel assuming the role of Yoko Ono, and sitting in the corner with a tambourine and thrashing it wildly while "the lads" are trying to record, and she( Cassel )is all like:

"YAI-YAI-YAI-YAI-YAI"!!!!!!!

Titty Meat
01-10-2010, 12:29 AM
I picture the "getting the( NE )band back together being somewhat like the Beatles reuniting but with Cassel assuming the role of Yoko Ono, and sitting in the corner with a tambourine and thrashing it wildly while "the lads" are trying to record, and she( Cassel )is all like:

"YAI-YAI-YAI-YAI-YAI"!!!!!!!

The band will be back together to play " I GOT MY GAME AWWWWWWN"

Sweet Dick Willy
01-10-2010, 12:29 AM
The band will be back together to play " I GOT MY GAME AWWWWWWN"

ROFL:clap: NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!