PDA

View Full Version : Movies and TV RIP Wendall Anschutz

Deberg_1990
01-07-2010, 07:37 AM
http://www.kansascity.com/637/story/1668997.html

Wendall Anschutz, whose serious approach to news and folksy presence on camera made him Kansas City’s most popular news anchor throughout the 1980s, died Thursday morning. He was 71 and had been undergoing treatment for metastatic throat cancer at the University of Kansas Medical Center.

From 1966 to 2001, Anschutz was a reporter and anchor at KCMO-TV, later known as KCTV. He became an anchor in 1969, was kicked back to a reporter’s job when new management came in, then worked his way back behind the desk.

On July 16, 1979, he was paired with a new co-anchor, Anne Peterson, and the two quickly became a sensation, attracting 40 percent of the audience to their newscasts by year’s end. They went on to form one of the TV industry’s most durable on-air partnerships, finally ending when Anschutz opted for retirement in 2001.

In 1989, Anschutz suffered a stroke and, as part of his recovery, began oil painting. Eventually he sold his works to galleries. His most popular paintings featured enormous, tidal-wave-shaped clouds looming over the prairie.

Funeral arrangements are pending, according to a family member

eazyb81
01-07-2010, 07:41 AM
Wow, he was 71? He never looked that old.

kc rush
01-07-2010, 08:50 AM
He was a nice guy. His brother lived not too far from us in the early 80's, so we would see him in the neighborhood occasionally. As a kid I thought it was so cool to see "the guy from the TV" hanging out.

Demonpenz
01-07-2010, 09:02 AM
how does this happen but phil witt is still around.

kcwild
01-07-2010, 09:03 AM
He used to be my neighbor throughout the 80's when I lived in Lenexa and was one of the nicest guys you could know.

RIP

Mr. Laz
01-07-2010, 09:05 AM
RIP

he did a fine job ... a KC news staple

Deberg_1990
01-07-2010, 09:10 AM
Whatever happened to that hottie Anne Peterson? At least she was hot back in the 80's.....

Dayze
01-07-2010, 09:11 AM
I remember that dude; was on all the time when i was a kid.
him and Phil witt (still is), Cynthia Smith, Dan Henry, etc.

Mr. Laz
01-07-2010, 09:12 AM
Whatever happened to that hottie Anne Peterson? At least she was hot back in the 80's.....
she is still around, i think.

PunkinDrublic
01-07-2010, 09:19 AM
Dan Henry said it was going to be like this. Wendel was a staple of KC local news when I was
growing up. He was KCs Ron Burgendy. RIP.
Posted via Mobile Device

Demonpenz
01-07-2010, 09:26 AM
dan henry is where i got my ms paint sctick ;)

gblowfish
01-07-2010, 09:35 AM
she is still around, i think.

Rub one out to this:

seclark
01-07-2010, 09:38 AM
Rub one out to this:

damn...she looks like someone i know very, very well.
sec

ChiefJustice
01-07-2010, 09:41 AM
Rub one out to this:

Done!

oops...I mean RIP,Wendall.

WilliamTheIrish
01-07-2010, 10:29 AM
Had a great newsman voice.

RINGLEADER
01-07-2010, 11:00 AM
Wow, he was 71? He never looked that old.

Yeah, he was the newscaster I remember watching when I was a kid and he was a nice guy - I remember having a long conversation with him while we waited in line to see Predator at the theater across from the Metro North mall.

Anschutz and Don Fortune and Fred Brosky were all minor KC celebrities in my pre-teen years -- probably Brosky was the highest profile with his "Bowling For Dollars" and smiley face sun decals...I think Brosky had a fan club even.

Whatever happened to Fred Brosky?

OnTheWarpath15
01-07-2010, 11:03 AM
Had a great newsman voice.

A voice that would make a wolverine purr?

gblowfish
01-07-2010, 11:10 AM
How many old school KC TV (News/Sports/WX/Other) personalities do you remember?
Here's some that come to mind:
Fred Broski
John Bilyeu
Dan Henry
John Masterman
Charles Gray
Dick Hocter
Cheryll Jones
Anne Peterson
Torrey Southwick
Ed Muscari
Don Fortune
Frank Boal
Toby Cook
Sue Mason
Dave Helling
Harris Falkner
Claude Dorsey
Drew Dimmell
Christine Craft
Gene Fox
Walt Bodine
Stan Cramer
William "Action" Jackson
Russell Kinsaul
Bob Thill
Bruce Rice
Leon Liebl
Glen Hanson
Gordon Docking
Cynthia Smith
Barry Morris
Denny Trease
Craig Sager

Deberg_1990
01-07-2010, 11:11 AM
Ed Muscari

heh...hes the guy who hosted that cheesy late night show on channel 41 back in the day...Used to love it when i was 12! LOL

stevieray
01-07-2010, 11:13 AM
Broski...Bowling for Dollars
Bruce Rice...haven't heard that name in a long time.

RINGLEADER
01-07-2010, 11:34 AM
heh...hes the guy who hosted that cheesy late night show on channel 41 back in the day...Used to love it when i was 12! LOL

I remember when he did 41 Treehouse Lane too...until I think he was convicted of exposing himself or molestation or something...but I could be wrong.

Dude was creepy with his banana phone...

Demonpenz
01-07-2010, 11:38 AM
i've been missing since I've gone fishin

LaChapelle
01-07-2010, 11:45 AM
Was he Jack Harry's step son

gblowfish
01-07-2010, 11:55 AM
I remember when he did 41 Treehouse Lane too...until I think he was convicted of exposing himself or molestation or something...but I could be wrong.

"Uncle Ed" Muscari. Extremely weird agent.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/lebuzzodrome/sexual-offender-ed-muscari-do-it-again-9ht

RINGLEADER
01-07-2010, 12:11 PM

O.

M.

G.

That is one of the most repulsive things I've ever witnessed.

http://offender.fdle.state.fl.us/offender/flyer.do?personId=2530

PunkinDrublic
01-07-2010, 12:12 PM
Don't fuck with Stan Kramers call for action.
Posted via Mobile Device

RINGLEADER
01-07-2010, 12:15 PM
Looks like those videos have landed Uncle Ed back in the clink...from a couple days ago...

http://www.cbsnews.com/blogs/2010/01/04/crimesider/entry6054318.shtml

gblowfish
01-07-2010, 12:27 PM
Weird...
http://blogs.kansascity.com/crime_scene/2010/01/uncle-ed-muscare-sentenced-to-5-years.html

A good friend of mine, his mom was Cheryll Jones hair dresser back in the early 1980s, and he claims to have hooked up with Cheryll for many stress releasing meaningless overnight rendevouz with her. Yowza, she was diz shiznit back in the day...

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/NSvpQv_yX7A&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/NSvpQv_yX7A&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Deberg_1990
01-07-2010, 01:03 PM
Wow...how no idea about what a freak UNcle Ed was...

googlegoogle
01-07-2010, 01:22 PM
That guy always reminded me of the actor

http://img2.timeinc.net/ew/dynamic/imgs/071112/dvdyke_l.jpg

Dante84
01-07-2010, 02:18 PM
I think Anne Peterson's 17 or 18 year old son just recently died from drunk driving.... I could be wrong. Very Sad though.

Norman Einstein
01-07-2010, 02:51 PM
Didn't Lenny Dawson do sports in KC for a while?

gblowfish
01-07-2010, 03:41 PM
Didn't Lenny Dawson do sports in KC for a while?

Lenny's been the local ABC affiliate's 6pm sports anchor since the early 1970s.
He still shows up on KMBC 9, but not as much as he used to.

gblowfish
01-07-2010, 03:43 PM
I think Anne Peterson's 17 or 18 year old son just recently died from drunk driving.... I could be wrong. Very Sad though.

From March of last year:
http://www.kmbc.com/news/18932030/detail.html

Baby Lee
01-07-2010, 03:51 PM
Anyone remember when you could get horse racing tickets from the supermarket with your receipt, then they showed the races right after the news [I think]. If your horse won you got something from the supermarket.

Dartgod
01-07-2010, 03:52 PM
Fred Broski
John Bilyeu
Dan Henry
John Masterman
Charles Gray
Dick Hocter
Cheryll Jones
Anne Peterson
Torrey Southwick
Ed Muscari
Don Fortune
Frank Boal
Toby Cook
Sue Mason
Dave Helling
Harris Falkner
Claude Dorsey
Drew Dimmell
Christine Craft
Gene Fox
Walt Bodine
Stan Cramer
William "Action" Jackson
Russell Kinsaul
Bob Thill
Bruce Rice
Leon Liebl
Glen Hanson
Gordon Docking
Cynthia Smith
Barry Morris
Denny Trease
Craig Sager
I recognize most of those, but how could you leave Geri Gosa (sp?) off the list? Quite possibly one of the ugliest women ever to be paid to appear on television.

RIP, Wendall.

Halfcan
01-07-2010, 04:05 PM
RIP
He was always a Class Act-he will be missed.

01-07-2010, 04:17 PM
Whatever happened to that hottie Anne Peterson? At least she was hot back in the 80's.....She was a cutie back in the day. I liked Maria Antonia more though. She was a real hottie when she first came on the scene. Kind of nasty now though.

Deberg_1990
01-07-2010, 05:01 PM
Anyone remember when you could get horse racing tickets from the supermarket with your receipt, then they showed the races right after the news [I think]. If your horse won you got something from the supermarket.

yep...i remember.....

Milgrims right?

KingPriest2
01-07-2010, 05:14 PM
yep...i remember.....

Milgrims right?

Every Saturday night Yep Milgrims

alpha_omega
01-07-2010, 05:17 PM
RIP...i loved that guy!

Megbert
01-07-2010, 06:17 PM
RIP. Like most of you, I grew up watching him.

Megbert
01-07-2010, 06:23 PM
I recognize most of those, but how could you leave Geri Gosa (sp?) off the list? Quite possibly one of the ugliest women ever to be paid to appear on television.

RIP, Wendall.

I'll see your Geri Gosa and raise you a Linda Williams

http://media2.myfoxphoenix.com//photo/2009/01/17/Linda_Original_20090117145234975_320_240.JPG

chiefqueen
01-07-2010, 08:15 PM

Unfortunately, she too had a hard time recently as she lost her younger son in a car crash last March.

chiefqueen
01-07-2010, 08:41 PM
Fred Broski - daughter used to do weather for Ch. 5
John Bilyeu
Dan Henry - took Buck O'Neill's place on the Nutter reverse mortgage ads
John Masterman
Charles Gray
Dick Hocter
Cheryll Jones - left station b/c she couldn't handle odd hours physically
Anne Peterson - does commercials
Torrey Southwick
Ed Muscari
Don Fortune - retired, lives in FLA (near Tampa)
Frank Boal - still doing his radio talk show
Toby Cook - Royals VP of something (I'll pay attention this summer)
Sue Mason - does commercials (namely Nebraska Furniture Mart)
Dave Helling - political beat for the Star
Harris Falkner - Fox News Channel
Claude Dorsey
Drew Dimmell - has Parkinson's syndrome
Christine Craft
Gene Fox - MO Dept. of Conservation
Walt Bodine - DEAD (I think 2003)
Stan Cramer - does siding commercials
William "Action" Jackson
Russell Kinsaul
Bob Thill
Bruce Rice - died 10/31/78 (congestive heart failure) Did play-by-play of Chiefs game 2 days before death
Leon Liebl
Glen Hanson
Gordon Docking
Cynthia Smith - helps KCPT on pledge drives
Barry Morris
Denny Trease
Craig Sager TNT - I hear his least favorite TV show is "Not What to Wear"

I added update on the ones I know.

Deberg_1990
01-07-2010, 08:48 PM
I added update on the ones I know.

Ill add in Johnathan "The Coach" Coachman is currently at ESPNews.

He did a stint at Channel Nine news in the late 90's...then was famously in the WWE for several years.

Dartgod
01-07-2010, 09:29 PM
I'll see your Geri Gosa and raise you a Linda Williams

http://media2.myfoxphoenix.com//photo/2009/01/17/Linda_Original_20090117145234975_320_240.JPG
You sure about that?

http://web.archive.org/web/20010831013020/kctv.com/images/215818.jpg

BigOlChiefsfan
01-07-2010, 11:28 PM
RIP Wendall. Nice guy.

It's odd, KCTV5/KCMO used to have the most personable news staff, 'local personalities' all, I watched them because they seemed sensible. Now that station specialzes in 'Rain storm approaching! Batten down all hatches, build a boat!' and 'Live at 10...Sun sets in west, sky goes dangerously dark!' WTF happened?

DJJasonp
01-07-2010, 11:38 PM
My memory of Wendall (and KC for that matter).....watching Friday night's news....then Friday Fright Night later on that evening.

Good memories!

Deberg_1990
01-07-2010, 11:39 PM
My memory of Wendall (and KC for that matter).....watching Friday night's news....then Friday Fright Night later on that evening.

Good memories!

mine too!

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/-3gZkM-WDao&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/-3gZkM-WDao&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

DJJasonp
01-07-2010, 11:41 PM
mine too!

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/-3gZkM-WDao&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/-3gZkM-WDao&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

That is awesome....and of course, before going to the movie....a boots williams ford commercial! :)

TigerPig
01-08-2010, 12:14 AM
WTF!?! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

This totally sucks. He was one of the classy, good anchors on local KC television.

All of the class-act anchors are gone. All of these new people suck and try to sensationalize everything too much. KCTV is now all like, "And after the break we'll tell you about a threat in the Kansas City area that CAN KILL YOU!!!" When you come back, its like smog or them increasing the chlorine in the drinking water (or some lame-duck crap like that).

Sure-Oz
01-08-2010, 12:16 AM
Classy man. He will be missed, grew up watching that guy on tv

01-08-2010, 12:18 AM
WTF!?! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

This totally sucks. He was one of the classy, good anchors on local KC television.

All of the class-act anchors are gone. All of these new people suck and try to sensationalize everything too much. KCTV is now all like, "And after the break we'll tell you about a threat in the Kansas City area that CAN KILL YOU!!!" When you come back, its like smog or them increasing the chlorine in the drinking water (or some lame-duck crap like that).That is why I rarely watch local news anymore.

TigerPig
01-08-2010, 03:48 AM
That is why I rarely watch local news anymore.

That is why I rarely watch any news anymore. I'm young and don't remember a lot, but guys like Brokaw, Jennings, and Russert will NEVER be back again. First off there's too many different competing networks for any one figure to gain enough fanbase to become a legend, and also there's too much fluff and sensationalism to take them seriously. When you have to take a given amount of news and make 24 hours out of it, you're going to get crap out. "Massive bombing in Islamabad kills 28, and see how this kitten can play the keyboard!"

kc rush
01-08-2010, 08:56 AM
You sure about that?

http://web.archive.org/web/20010831013020/kctv.com/images/215818.jpg

Wow. That is probably the best I've seen her look. I've always thought she fit into the "face for radio" category.

kc rush
01-08-2010, 08:57 AM
That is awesome....and of course, before going to the movie....a boots williams ford commercial! :)

I always remember the Ray Adams commercials during FFN. Push it in, pull it in and a free diamond necklace with a test drive.

gblowfish
01-08-2010, 09:20 AM
Geri Gosa and Lianna Joyce are both hideous looking. So is Bev Chapman on 9.

Dartgod
01-08-2010, 10:01 AM
I always remember the Ray Adams commercials during FFN. Push it in, pull it in and a free diamond necklace with a test drive.
Here dog, come on dog.
Me and dog are going down to Dick Smith Ford town...
In RAYYTOWN! Get a good deal...

Get a doggone good deal at Dick Smith Ford Town

ARF! ARF!

Baby Lee
01-08-2010, 10:38 AM

Not only is Boots Williams Ford gone, but the very earth it stood on is displaced as is 'that swingin' Red Bridge exit.'

Straight dropped off ramp and a roundabout now.

Redrum_69
01-08-2010, 11:04 AM

since when did Bob Dole start lip syncing Roy Orbison...

Inspector
01-08-2010, 11:28 AM
Fred Broski
John Bilyeu
Dan Henry
John Masterman
Charles Gray
Dick Hocter
Cheryll Jones
Anne Peterson
Torrey Southwick
Ed Muscari
Don Fortune
Frank Boal
Toby Cook
Sue Mason
Dave Helling
Harris Falkner
Claude Dorsey
Drew Dimmell
Christine Craft
Gene Fox
Walt Bodine
Stan Cramer
William "Action" Jackson
Russell Kinsaul
Bob Thill
Bruce Rice
Leon Liebl
Glen Hanson
Gordon Docking
Cynthia Smith
Barry Morris
Denny Trease
Craig Sager

Wow - memories. I crossed paths with a few of these.

Fred Broski owned or at least frequented a bar at 39th and main in the 70's where I sold some supplies. (Wholesale booze)

John Bilyeu also owned a liquor store over on 39th close to State Line and lived directly above me when I lived in an apartment in the mid 70s.

Dick Hoctor also sold appliances and sold us a refrigerator.

I was on Torrey Southwicks show many, many years ago.

Ed Mascari dated a friend of mine - and she was a woman - not a young boy. (Which was what he was really interested in)

Had a weatherman here in the 50's or 60's - last name of "Yearout" that was my cousin's brother-in-law.

Oh boy, here I go feeling kinda old again.

TigerPig
01-08-2010, 11:28 AM
Not only is Boots Williams Ford gone, but the very earth it stood on is displaced as is 'that swingin' Red Bridge exit.'

Straight dropped off ramp and a roundabout now.

Those are kind of sketchy parts to be in nowadays, aren't they?

Usually there's not a lot of new car dealerships in bad neighborhoods.

Inspector
01-08-2010, 11:34 AM

I was at one of my girlfriend apartments years ago that was in the same complex as another friend of mine who was dating him at the time. I remember one night looking out the balcony on the 2nd floor - late at night - and seeing Ed leave. As he walked through the courtyard he held up the back of his hand like he used to do on TV - like a backwards wave or something - and was doing that at the aprtments with nobody watching him. It was sort of weird, but he was weird too.

Another time I was singing with a group of people providing the "entertainment" at an art show when Ed showed up (my friend he was dating had some art on display at this show). Ed came up on stage where we were singing, sat down at the piano and just started playing whatever. Totally upstaging us and wasn't even invited to be part of the show. He was definetely a weirdo.

gblowfish
01-08-2010, 12:11 PM
BTW: I don't think Walt Bodine is dead, he's just really old:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walt_Bodine

DJJasonp
01-08-2010, 12:12 PM

Now that you mention it....Didnt Ray Adams take over the Friday Fright night thing with a show of his own later on???

About the same time as Elvira??

Dayze
01-08-2010, 12:24 PM

dude...I forgot about Boots Williams.

Dayze
01-08-2010, 12:26 PM

JFC>..I forgot about that!

"Push it in, pull it in....just get it here"..

Dayze
01-08-2010, 12:27 PM
Here dog, come on dog.
Me and dog are going down to Dick Smith Ford town...
In RAYYTOWN! Get a good deal...

Get a doggone good deal at Dick Smith Ford Town

ARF! ARF!

ROFL

...you guys are jogging some memories here. I forgot about that one too.

chiefqueen
01-08-2010, 12:41 PM
Since the thread has evolved to car commercials, remember these:

Sonny Hill

Olathe Ford commercials with Hap Hazard and his wife "Mishap".

Baby Lee
01-08-2010, 12:58 PM
Those are kind of sketchy parts to be in nowadays, aren't they?

Usually there's not a lot of new car dealerships in bad neighborhoods.

Well, since my sister lives very near there, I probably shouldn't characterize it as that.

Seriously, I wouldn't characterize it as sketchy. The corridor right next to 71 is a little run down, but that's a consequence of the GV triangle makeover and I anticipate it'll rebound in the next decade as Lee's Summit [East] and Metcalf [West] is still a little too far to travel for a shopping mecca.
The west side where Boots used to be is pretty much unchanged, the medical park and a decent, if blue collar, apartment complex. Never heard any complaints about the crime or makeup of that complex.
Doesn't really get 'sketchy' until you make it over to Ruskin area well east of 71, but that's been that way forever.

kc rush
01-08-2010, 01:06 PM
Well, since my sister lives very near there, I probably shouldn't characterize it as that.

Seriously, I wouldn't characterize it as sketchy. The corridor right next to 71 is a little run down, but that's a consequence of the GV triangle makeover and I anticipate it'll rebound in the next decade as Lee's Summit [East] and Metcalf [West] is still a little too far to travel for a shopping mecca.
The west side where Boots used to be is pretty much unchanged, the medical park and a decent, if blue collar, apartment complex. Never heard any complaints about the crime or makeup of that complex.
Doesn't really get 'sketchy' until you make it over to Ruskin area well east of 71, but that's been that way forever.

My parents live in that area as well. Its not too bad except for all of the IHOP stuff popping up around there everywhere.

kc rush
01-08-2010, 01:07 PM
Since the thread has evolved to car commercials, remember these:

Sonny Hill

Olathe Ford commercials with Hap Hazard and his wife "Mishap".

Hap Hazard was Sunflower Dodge

kc rush
01-08-2010, 01:08 PM
Now that you mention it....Didnt Ray Adams take over the Friday Fright night thing with a show of his own later on???

About the same time as Elvira??

I think so.

Deberg_1990
01-08-2010, 01:36 PM

Belton and Raymore are two areas that seem to be growing...

Blondie
01-10-2010, 03:26 AM
[QUOTE=gblowfish;6419283]Weird...

"A good friend of mine, his mom was Cheryll Jones hair dresser back in the early 1980s, and he claims to have hooked up with Cheryll for many stress releasing meaningless overnight rendevouz with her. Yowza, she was diz shiznit back in the day..."

I believe you owe Cheryll Jones an apology for the derogatory story your so called friend made up about her. As all of her many fans know, she was not even in Kansas City during the 80's. She was in Denver, then went to Atlanta where she worked for the weather channel and a CBS affliate and then on to CNN. It's not gentlemanly to protray, as fact, your friend's lewd fantasies about Cheryll Jones on a public message board. She's a classy lady and does not deserve to be slandered like that.

TigerPig
01-10-2010, 03:30 AM
I believe you owe Cheryll Jones an apology for the derogatory story your so called friend made up about her. As all of her many fans know, she was not even in Kansas City during the 80's. She was in Denver, then went to Atlanta where she worked for the weather channel and a CBS affliate and then on to CNN. It's not gentlemanly to protray, as fact, your friend's lewd fantasies about Cheryll Jones on a public message board. She's a classy lady and does not deserve to be slandered like that.

This is the strangest first post ever... but PWNED!

gblowfish
01-10-2010, 08:47 AM
[QUOTE=gblowfish;6419283]Weird...

"A good friend of mine, his mom was Cheryll Jones hair dresser back in the early 1980s, and he claims to have hooked up with Cheryll for many stress releasing meaningless overnight rendevouz with her. Yowza, she was diz shiznit back in the day..."

Jesus, lighten up, Francis. We're talking about 30 years ago. Late 70's, early 80's whatever. She divorced her husband, so her life wasn't exactly perfection. I don't know if the guy's story is true or not, I said "claimed." Unwad your panties and chill.

Here's a story about an outing where she was lunching with Max Floyd:

http://www.kcconfidential.com/?p=11544

Deberg_1990
01-10-2010, 10:43 AM

Ill take weird, wacky posts from straight out of nowhere for $1000 Alex....

DJJasonp
01-10-2010, 02:39 PM
For an RIP thread.....this has had quite a few unexpected turns.

does Cheryll Jones have an agent who spends the day googling her name???

wow.....

Demonpenz
01-10-2010, 03:01 PM
SHE'S A NICE LADY

StormDog
01-10-2010, 10:49 PM
Blowfish:

Your friend is lying to you and feeding you a line of crap...or either you are lying...in which case your name is appropriate blowfish? That's wasn't Cheryll. She was not in KC during the 80's at all. She was in Denver and Atlanta. The video you posted was from the 70's. Her website will even verify this information should you take the time to look it up. She is a sweet, smart, beautiful Lady. And when I say Lady, I mean a Lady of character. What is it that you hope to gain by slandering someone such as Cheryll in a public forum anyway?

StormDog
01-10-2010, 10:58 PM
Wendall and Cheryll were friends. Why would you trash up a Memorial to Wendall with sleazy comments about one of his friends?

DaneMcCloud
01-10-2010, 11:05 PM
For an RIP thread.....this has had quite a few unexpected turns.

does Cheryll Jones have an agent who spends the day googling her name???

wow.....

Thank you.

You've just given me a reason to read this entire thread.

Why do things like this always occur on Chiefsplanet?

LMAO LMAO LMAO

DaneMcCloud
01-10-2010, 11:06 PM
how does this happen but phil witt is still around.

That's what happens when you're a vampire

DaneMcCloud
01-10-2010, 11:12 PM
Weird...

Is she the mother to Holly "Hollywood" Starr?

LMAO

Dante84
01-10-2010, 11:24 PM
George just got flipped off again!

Mosbonian
01-10-2010, 11:27 PM

Denny Trease

Denny Trease was actually here in Lexington until last week apparently:

From Kentucky.com

Trease gone from WKYT

Denny Trease, a longtime reporter for CBS affiliate WKYT (Channel 27), has left the station.

"I'm no longer there because we were unable to work out a suitable contract agreement," Trease said, declining to comment further.

News Director Robert Thomas declined to discuss Trease's departure.

Trease had two stints at WKYT. He provided sports coverage at the station from 1972 to 1980 before leaving to become the voice of the Kansas City Royals. That was his job for 13 years, until his station was outbid for the game rights. Eventually he was hired to do public relations for the Royals but later went back into TV news in Knoxville and then returned to WKYT in 2000.

Trease was also known in Lexington for his longtime association with the Todd Trease Teddy Bear Fund, named for Trease's late son. The fund provided toys for young patients in emergency rooms.

He served as weekend anchor for a time at WKYT but recently had been doing only reporting.

mmaddog

Uncle_Ted
01-11-2010, 12:48 AM
Re: Fred Broski

My dad was on "Bowling for Dollars" (local game show) hosted by Fred Broski when I was a kid. He only got a spare, so he won some stupid consolation prize (like 10 lbs. or beef jerky or something).

Uncle_Ted
01-11-2010, 12:50 AM
BTW: I don't think Walt Bodine is dead, he's just really old:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walt_Bodine

Funky Walt Bodina!

Extra Point
01-11-2010, 07:26 AM
RIP, Mr. Anschutz.

Remember a weathercaster named Jack Cafferty, now on CNN? During my first round of golf, he and some other guys played through, while I was looking for a sliced drive.

Inspector
01-11-2010, 07:29 AM
What??

Cheryl Jones and Wendall Anschutz were having an affair at Fred Brosky's house???

You can't be serious!!

What in the world is going on here????????

patteeu
01-11-2010, 08:52 AM
George just got flipped off again!

LMAO

That's what I was thinking.

Al Bundy
01-11-2010, 09:18 AM
R.I.P. Wendell, I worked with his wife, Nita for a couple of years. He was always good to us.
Posted via Mobile Device

wild1
01-11-2010, 09:21 AM
Cheryll and I once got busy in a burger king bathroom.

Deberg_1990
01-11-2010, 10:30 AM
Wow...Stormdog and Blondie are really punking George....LOL

gblowfish
01-11-2010, 10:42 AM
I had no idea Cheryll had her own cult!

Deberg_1990
01-20-2012, 12:03 PM
Since this turned into an "Old School" KC TV thread, i just read that Uncle Ed Muscari died last week. Used to love watching All NIght Live back in the day on UHF Channel 41.

He was one seriously weird dude though...

http://kcconfidential.com/full_content.php?article_id=23463&full=yes&pbr=1

This isn't the first report on the death of former Channel 41 late night personality Uncle Ed Muscare...

However, in the interest of adding a bit of corrective information along with some news and views to the mix of mostly blogger driven reporting and commentary, let's take another look. The New York native died in a Florida prison Sunday at the age of 79.

"He was creepy, the creepiest," says former Shawnee Counciwoman Tracy Thomas. "He was a cross between Ed Wood and a defrocked priest."

"I met him a couple times," says longtime radio personality and movie dude Jack Poessiger. "He was an entertaining guy at a time when late night ntelevision still had local programming and it became a local phenomenon. And when he left, his show got taken over by by Dick Wilson of KCMO FM."

Contrary to reports that Muscare's "All Night Live" show ran in the 1970s, it was on for four years from 1981 to 1985, according to a fan who chronicled his passing recently on YouTube.

Muscare's schtick - incidentally he went by Muscari while on TV in KC - was to engage is a bizarre series of skits in between scarey movies, Three Stooges shorts and the like.

"The most popular that I remember was his bananna phone," Poessiger recalls. "You'd hear the phone ring and he'd grab a bannana and take the call. And he kept a cat in a chest of drawers or his desk drawer. His whole approach was he was very much on the edge - very out there - and a lot of college kids would watch the show, which was very dark.

"He also had viewers make a secret pledge to his show. Like you belonged to his club and his weirdness. I used to watch it every so often because it was hip, funny and totally off-center compared to what anyone else was doing on TV at the time."

Muscare's crime - allegedly fondling an underage youth - went down in the 80s when he "pleaded no contest in Orange County to a 1987 sexual battery of a boy," the Orlando Sentinel reports. "He served a prison term and was placed on a 10-year probation, but the term was extended twice because of subsequent violations. In 1998 he failed to comply with sex-offender-registration requirements when he lived in Lady Lake and he later moved to South Carolina without notifying authorities"

Which resulted in Muscare being busted again and ordered not to post anymore YouTube videos under the name edarem, for which he became popular with "more than 7 million views and legions of followers," the Post reports.

One such video in 2009 entitled "Pretty Woman," garnered more than 1.6 milllion views. It features a frazzle-haired Muscare lip synching and grooving in a creepy manner to the Roy Orbison classic while doing a mini, faux strip tease, removing his sweater and unbuttoning one of his shirt buttons.

In another strange video two years ago, "How I quit Smoking," Muscare tells viewers to replace the cigarette pack in their shirt pockets with sunflower seeds and eat them instead. Muscare reportedly died of lung cancer.

His, uh, significant other - a woman by the name of Marion Kolehmainen - posted a YouTube announcement of Muscare's death Monday in which she said, "I have so much I want to share with you and so much I don't know if I should share with you.

"Edward's okay. I know some of you don't believe in the afterlife, but believe me, he's doing okay. He left me with all of his love and I'm okay, too. I really am...Ed's at home now; he's with the angels."

She told the Post, "He made his life, his career being the center of attention. There are some people that all they can focus on is his charge back in the 80s. I don't want people to judge him for what happened. He's sorry for it. He's a good man. That's what I want people to remember."