PDA

View Full Version : NFL Draft McClain...Yes or No?

talastan
01-08-2010, 10:58 AM
I know the draftubators will be all over this w/ the "You don't draft a MLB in the top five!" argument. But after last night's preformance, as well as a very successful College season, would you take McClain with our pick at #5? Personally if Berry is off the board, I'd jump on the guy. He's not only a gifted athlete but a very intellectual player.

Alton deFlat
01-08-2010, 11:04 AM
http://www.film.ru/img/shots/die_hard.jpg

yippie kay yay

ChiTown
01-08-2010, 11:05 AM
Take this shit to DC..............oh, wait.

;)

Mr. Laz
01-08-2010, 11:07 AM
the thought of being in the top 5 and having draft low again just makes me ill.

ModSocks
01-08-2010, 11:10 AM
Personally, i just want an impact player at #5. I don't give a rat's ass if he's a reach or not. If the Chiefs find a guy they love, and they can't trade down to get him, then **** it. "Reach" for him. I don't want to be stuck with Okung because he isn't projected as a reach. **** that.

Im tired of linemen. We need skill position players. Whether it be the top safety, top LB, top WR; it doesn't matter where you draft him, just get one.

DeezNutz
01-08-2010, 11:12 AM
I think there are better selections and that we could address the ILB position in the 2nd with a player who wouldn't be a big enough dropoff to justify McClain at #5 overall.

That said, he's a damn good football player and would immediately help the D. We need to get MUCH stronger up the middle.

Not my choice, but I wouldn't freak out, either.

OnTheWarpath15
01-08-2010, 11:15 AM
I think there are better selections and that we could address the position in the 2nd with a player who wouldn't be a big enough dropoff to justify McClain at #5 overall.

That said, he's a damn good football player and would immediately help the D. We need to get MUCH stronger up the middle.

Not my choice, but I wouldn't freak out, either.

Pretty much how I feel.

I'll gladly take McClain if the alternative is another fucking 5-technique, Cody, an offensive lineman, etc.

I'm actually at the point where I'm almost expecting him to be the pick, if Berry isn't there.

After the positional and talent reach last year, and the fact that Pioli took Jerod Mayo at 10 the year before, I can totally see McClain as the pick.

booyaf2
01-08-2010, 11:15 AM
Personally, i just want an impact player at #5. I don't give a rat's ass if he's a reach or not. If the Chiefs find a guy they love, and they can't trade down to get him, then **** it. "Reach" for him. I don't want to be stuck with Okung because he isn't projected as a reach. **** that.

Im tired of linemen. We need skill position players. Whether it be the top safety, top LB, top WR; it doesn't matter where you draft him, just get one.

Absolutely. Give me someone that is actually playing for ROY on either side of the ball. Not another hack from LSU or some other marginal player. There isn't a player on this team that can't be upgraded at #5 outside of flowers/charles.

DeezNutz
01-08-2010, 11:17 AM
Pretty much how I feel.

I'll gladly take McClain if the alternative is another ****ing 5-technique, Cody, an offensive lineman, etc.

I'm actually at the point where I'm almost expecting him to be the pick, if Berry isn't there.

After the positional and talent reach last year, and the fact that Pioli took Jerod Mayo at 10 the year before, I can totally see McClain as the pick.

Yep.

All the talk last night about his intelligence and being a "coach on the field"...I figured Pioli was ready to JIHP.

jrowe
01-08-2010, 11:19 AM
He fits the mold. Hard working, loves watching film. Football player, not just athlete. He's who I want to see the Chiefs taking first, but I'd prefer to trade back a few spots to do it.

BigChiefFan
01-08-2010, 11:21 AM
McClain's a very good football player, who would instantly upgrade our LBing corp. That said, I'm not sure spending a top 5 pick on ILBer is the best use of our draft pick, but I wouldn't be upset with the pick because he projects to be a difference maker at the next level.

OnTheWarpath15
01-08-2010, 11:29 AM
McClain's a very good football player, who would instantly upgrade our LBing corp. That said, I'm not sure spending a top 5 pick on ILBer is the best use of our draft pick, but I wouldn't be upset with the pick because he projects to be a difference maker at the next level.

We're in the same boat we were last year.

If Berry's gone, there's no one worthy of a 5th overall pick, other than Claussen, who becomes this year's Mark Sanchez. (at least regarding the should we take him and sit him for a year debate)

Pioli won't admit his mistake this early, so Claussen's likely out.

If Berry is gone, who's worth it at 5?

Spiller's playmaking ability is worth the 5th pick, but his positional value is shitty.

Haden is going to be a solid CB at the next level, but if you're taking him 5th overall, he has to be a shutdown corner, and he's not.

Dez Bryant? Please.

Leaves you with two options:

Taylor Mays and Rolando McCalin.

Both would be great additions to this defense, and neither are worth a Top 5 pick, IMO.

Bottom line, if Berry's off the board, we're reaching for someone, let's just hope it's a solid reach, and not a Tyson Jackson-esque reach.

talastan
01-08-2010, 11:33 AM
I can see what you mean OTWP. If Berry is gone and we have to reach, at least get someone who makes somewhat of an immediate impact instead of a player that will need a year or two to develop. IMO we need a defensive playmaker like two years ago. I think that McClain is the guy IMO.

TigerPig
01-08-2010, 11:34 AM

We reached for Tyson Jackson because he is what we wanted.

OnTheWarpath15
01-08-2010, 11:35 AM
I can see what you mean OTWP. If Berry is gone and we have to reach, at least get someone who makes somewhat of an immediate impact instead of a player that will need a year or two to develop. IMO we need a defensive playmaker like two years ago.

Which is why people are pissed about the Tyson Jackson pick.

If you have to reach, fine.

But get a fucking playmaker in the process.

DeezNutz
01-08-2010, 11:38 AM

If Berry's gone, there's no one worthy of a 5th overall pick, other than Claussen, who becomes this year's Mark Sanchez. (at least regarding the should we take him and sit him for a year debate)

Spiller's playmaking ability is worth the 5th pick, but his positional value is shitty.

Haden is going to be a solid CB at the next level, but if you're taking him 5th overall, he has to be a shutdown corner, and he's not.

Dez Bryant? Please.

Both would be great additions to this defense, and neither are worth a Top 5 pick, IMO.

Bottom line, if Berry's off the board, we're reaching for someone, let's just hope it's a solid reach, and not a Tyson Jackson-esque reach.

This might not be popular, but, if Bryant is the choice, I also wouldn't freak out. At least it's understandable and justifiable: Pioli thinks the dude is a big time WR.

I might not agree, but, hey, he's the highest paid GM, and I'm no one. Prove me wrong. Should be easy...

The Bad Guy
01-08-2010, 11:45 AM
I hope McClain is the choice if Berry is gone. I don't know if I've ever seen worse linebackers than Corey Mays and DeMorrio Williams.

We need a thumper and McClain is that.

sfchief
01-08-2010, 11:45 AM
Daryl Washington, ILB, TCU http://walterfootball.com/college/TCU_logo.gif
RD #3 FTW!

KevB
01-08-2010, 11:46 AM
This might not be popular, but, if Bryant is the choice, I also wouldn't freak out. At least it's understandable and justifiable: Pioli thinks the dude is a big time WR.

I might not agree, but, hey, he's the highest paid GM, and I'm no one. Prove me wrong. Should be easy...

Not sure I understand saying no to Dez but yes to Mays or McClain. Dez was a stud at OSU and made plays every time he was on the field. If he runs a 4.55, he probably won't go top 10. But if he runs a 4.4 at 6'2 with his production in college....what's not to like?

OnTheWarpath15
01-08-2010, 11:48 AM

Oh, where to start with Dez Bryant?

He's slow. 4.51 is his best reported time, and I've seen times over 4.65.

He's not overly big. 6-2, 210.

He's a poor route runner.

He's from a spread offense, so he's never been asked to know/run the full route tree.

He's had one year of solid production.

He missed the majority of the 2009 season.

The guy is a WR2 in the NFL. Not worthy of a Top 5 pick.

DeezNutz
01-08-2010, 11:49 AM
Not sure I understand saying no to Dez but yes to Mays or McClain. Dez was a stud at OSU and made plays every time he was on the field. If he runs a 4.55, he probably won't go top 10. But if he runs a 4.4 at 6'2 with his production in college....what's not to like?

My problem with Bryant is the same as my argument against McClain. Could you get *about* the same player in round 2?

You're not getting a freak like Mays in round 2, so that's a bit different.

I just hope Berry is on the board, and all of this talk is moot. Take the most dynamic player (and playmaker) at an enormous position of need.

DeezNutz
01-08-2010, 11:51 AM
Oh, where to start with Dez Bryant?

He's slow. 4.51 is his best reported time, and I've seen times over 4.65.

He's not overly big. 6-2, 210.

He's a poor route runner.

He's from a spread offense, so he's never been asked to know/run the full route tree.

He's had one year of solid production.

He missed the majority of the 2009 season.

The guy is a WR2 in the NFL. Not worthy of a Top 5 pick.

I'm not even going to begin to try to argue against facts. But, if he's selected, Pioli is saying he's an impact player, a game changer.

Fine. He just better be right.

I can understand taking Bryant a hell of a lot more than I can understand taking Jackson.

The Franchise
01-08-2010, 11:53 AM
Ecstatic picks:

1. Eric Berry
2. Jimmy Clausen

Picks that I'd be ok with:

1. Taylor Mays
2. Rolando McClain

'Hamas' Jenkins
01-08-2010, 11:55 AM
I wonder what our one year ago selves would say if we showed them these posts, where we are excusing awful reaches by our GM, the Executive of the Decade, simply because they aren't as bad as the previous reach he made with the #1 pick.

OnTheWarpath15
01-08-2010, 11:57 AM
I wonder what our one year ago selves would say if we showed them these posts, where we are excusing awful reaches by our GM, the Executive of the Decade, simply because they aren't as bad as the previous reach he made with the #1 pick.

If Berry is off the board, who at that point is NOT a reach?

'Hamas' Jenkins
01-08-2010, 11:58 AM
If Berry is off the board, who at that point is NOT a reach?

Top 4 picks, plz.

OnTheWarpath15
01-08-2010, 12:00 PM
Top 4 picks, plz.

In no particular order:

Suh, Claussen, Berry, McCoy/Okung.

'Hamas' Jenkins
01-08-2010, 12:01 PM
FWIW, I see the top 4 as a combination of Suh, McCoy, Clausen, and Okung (even though he sucks).

St. Louis is taking a DT or QB
Detroit is taking a DT, DE, or OT
Tampa is taking a DT, DE, or OT
Washington is taking a QB

DumbHillbillies
01-08-2010, 12:03 PM
I wouldn't bitch too much with that pick. I wouldn't bitch at all if we could trade down 3-5 slots and still get him.

OnTheWarpath15
01-08-2010, 12:04 PM
FWIW, I see the top 4 as a combination of Suh, McCoy, Clausen, and Okung (even though he sucks).

St. Louis is taking a DT or QB
Detroit is taking a DT, DE, or OT
Tampa is taking a DT, DE, or OT
Washington is taking a QB

And that may well happen.

However, worst case scenario and Claussen, Suh, and Berry are gone, who's not a reach at that point?

tyler360
01-08-2010, 12:05 PM
In no particular order:

If that happens I am on the Spiller bandwagon all the way. With pioli I know it will never happen in a million times though.

Dayze
01-08-2010, 12:06 PM
Absolutely. This team is so devoid of talent on the defensive side of the ball, the Chiefs almost ('almost') can't go wrong with Berry, Mays, or McClain.

I'd rather go for Berry first; but if he's not there and we can't trade down....I can't say I'd be anooyed witht he pick. it would be a reach, but only if the pick doesn't pan out. if we reach on McClain or Mays and they turn out to be studs, no one here is going to give a F we took them at 5, instead of at 7 or 8 etc.

'Hamas' Jenkins
01-08-2010, 12:06 PM
In no particular order:

Then you can take Mays. He's more than worth it.

Look at it this way:

Who gives you a better team: Taylor Mays and Micah Johnson in Round 3/4 or Rolando McClain and Darryl Stuckey?

'Hamas' Jenkins
01-08-2010, 12:07 PM
My problem with drafting any ILB that high is that they are the RBs of the defense. It's so easy to find solid contributors in later rounds, and I just don't see McClain as a game changer.

Jerod Mayo, for all his hype, isn't a game changer either.

ModSocks
01-08-2010, 12:08 PM
We reached for Tyson Jackson because he is what we wanted.

I guess you missed the other half of my post, and almost every post i write, saying that we need a skill position player, not another lineman.

Tyson Jackson is a player that Chiefs felt that they needed. Hopefully, they don't think they need another LT.

OnTheWarpath15
01-08-2010, 12:08 PM

Look at it this way:

Who gives you a better team: Taylor Mays and Micah Johnson in Round 3/4 or Rolando McClain and Darryl Stuckey?

Oh, I agree, just asking who's not a reach at that spot.

Personally, I think Mays is a slight reach there.

But like last year, I'd gladly "reach" a few spots for an elite talent, instead of reaching for marginal talent.

Chief Faithful
01-08-2010, 12:09 PM
Berry might be there at 5th and would be the biggest reason a team would trade up to the 5th spot. If the Chiefs drop down, pick up McClain and another player late first or early second I would be pleased.

DeezNutz
01-08-2010, 12:10 PM
Berry by be there at 5th and would be the biggest reason a team would trade up to the 5th spot. If they could drop down, pick up McClain and another player late first or early second I would be pleased.

If we trade back NOT to take Berry, I'm going to break my fucking TV.

'Hamas' Jenkins
01-08-2010, 12:11 PM
Oh, I agree, just asking who's not a reach at that spot.

Personally, I think Mays is a slight reach there.

But like last year, I'd gladly "reach" a few spots for an elite talent, instead of reaching for marginal talent.

It saddens me that we were expecting Muhammad Ali as our GM and we got "Hurricane" Peter McNeeley.

The Franchise
01-08-2010, 12:12 PM
If we trade back NOT to take Berry, I'm going to break my fucking TV.

This.

I'm tired of this organization passing up on elite fucking talent so that can draft a complete waste of talent.

DumbHillbillies
01-08-2010, 12:12 PM
Which is why people are pissed about the Tyson Jackson pick.

If you have to reach, fine.

But get a ****ing playmaker in the process.

That pick was a straight up need pick. We needed someone to man the 3-4 DE position and we didn't have one on the roster. Now could they have filled that position in free agency I don't know. I don't know if there was a guy out there last year on the market.

The Franchise
01-08-2010, 12:15 PM
That pick was a straight up need pick. We needed someone to man the 3-4 DE position and we didn't have one on the roster. Now could they have filled that position in free agency I don't know. I don't know if there was a guy out there last year on the market.

Igor Olshansky and Chris Canty.

Plus....we drafted Magee in the 3rd round.

'Hamas' Jenkins
01-08-2010, 12:15 PM

There were two: Canty and Olshansky, both of whom were cheaper than Jackson.

Of course, we could have just drafted Magee in the 3rd and called it a fucking day, but Pioli has to follow the blueprint down to the fucking coffee stains and dog ears.

Spicy McHaggis
01-08-2010, 12:17 PM

Dez Bryant? Please.

Very nice post, OTW. The general population of Chiefs fans better desensitize themselves to hearing the words "reach" and the phrase "not worth the spot" because it looks to me like it's going to break down this way.

This is where Pioli needs to shine and what he's being paid for. Reach if you must Mr. Pioli, but reach well.

Blick
01-08-2010, 12:17 PM
I might take McClain. He's a good reach if Berry's gone.

However, you can find good inside LB's in a 3-4 in the later rounds just like offensive linemen.

ModSocks
01-08-2010, 12:18 PM
This.

I'm tired of this organization passing up on elite ****ing talent so that can draft a complete waste of talent.

Well, what if we traded back and picked up a guy like Mays, and landed another 3rd? Then i wouldn't count that as a bad move at all.

Dayze
dont' worry, we're taking Okung or someother OL.

DaneMcCloud

Ohlshansky went to Dallas at $4 million per season.

Canty went to the Giants at $7 million per season.

Tyson Jackson went to the Chiefs for $11.4 million per season.

Which team came out ahead?

'Hamas' Jenkins
01-08-2010, 12:19 PM
I fully expect us to take Terrance Cody or McClain.

In fact, I'd love to find a place that offers a prop bet on the Chiefs drafting an Alabama player with their first pick.

DeezNutz
01-08-2010, 12:20 PM
Well, what if we traded back and picked up a guy like Mays, and landed another 3rd? Then i wouldn't count that as a bad move at all.

If Berry is whom we think he is, passing on him for an additional 3rd would be lunacy.

The Bad Guy
01-08-2010, 12:24 PM
I see the first round going:

1. Claussen
2. Suh
3. McCoy
4. Okung
5. Berry

DumbHillbillies
01-08-2010, 12:26 PM
Igor Olshansky and Chris Canty.

Plus....we drafted Magee in the 3rd round.

There were two: Canty and Olshansky, both of whom were cheaper than Jackson.

Of course, we could have just drafted Magee in the 3rd and called it a ****ing day, but Pioli has to follow the blueprint down to the ****ing coffee stains and dog ears.

Ok, Olshansky and Canty would have worked but Magee looks like a career backup/rotational guy. Didn't he get ran all over on when he started for dorsey.

Mr. Laz
01-08-2010, 12:28 PM
This might not be popular, but, if Bryant is the choice, I also wouldn't freak out.
hey ... another time we agree

that's like twice in a week :eek:

If they judge Bryant to be an impact player i would rather pick him even if that position isn't the biggest need.

same goes for Jimmy Clausen tbh

Chiefnj2
01-08-2010, 12:37 PM
If you don't get Berry or Clausen, I don't really care who it is as long as they hit on the pick. It can be a center for all I care as long as the guy becomes the next Mangold.

Titty Meat
01-08-2010, 12:39 PM
McClain is a big ILB reminded me of a young Levon Kirkland.

DeezNutz
01-08-2010, 12:59 PM
hey ... another time we agree

that's like twice in a week :eek:

If they judge Bryant to be an impact player i would rather pick him even if that position isn't the biggest need.

same goes for Jimmy Clausen tbh

Berry and then Clausen, for me.

Either would be outstanding.

the Talking Can
01-08-2010, 01:10 PM
i love mcclain to death

really no one but a QB is "worth" a top 5 pick anymore...given how many ways and opportunities their are to find players at other positions

i'd be happy to have mcclain, but agree he isn't worth it...though i think he'd give us a long career as a top notch backer...

in order

QB
Berry
Spiller
Mays
McClain

Mr. Laz
01-08-2010, 01:14 PM
i really would rather not use a top 5 pick on a RB. I know he is a returner too but still the shelf life is crap.

the Talking Can
01-08-2010, 01:19 PM
i really would rather not use a top 5 pick on a RB. I know he is a returner too but still the shelf life is crap.

i agree, generally, but am also at the point that i just want a damn playmaker or some one who is going to come in and immediately pay dividends...

talastan
01-08-2010, 01:23 PM

My opinion is to follow the Denver model when dealing with RBs. Have a great O-line and draft in mid-to late rounds for RB, then when they are ready for their big pay contract and have increased their value, trade away. Lather, Rinse, Repeat.

suds79
01-08-2010, 01:25 PM
I like the thought of McClain or Spikes over the thought of drafting Okung which seems to be somewhat popular out there.

58kcfan89
01-08-2010, 01:44 PM
I freaking love McClain and if Berry isn't there, we need to have McClain on our team IMO. Whether we take him at 5 or not isn't a big deal to me (Todd McShay has him as the #6 overall player...I know he's a tard, but still...) considering we need help all over the defense.

McClain has been called an extention of the coaching staff by a lot of people and would be a great addition to a defense that doesn't have a leader (don't even bring up Vrabel). Not to mention that he was in on a lot of plays last night and seems to have all the physical skills to be a solid ILB. I know you're not supposed to take an ILB that high, but the same goes for Safety. Someone around here put it best when they said that we're in the position that we can draft just about anyone and have them be an upgrade to what we currently have. I think you can build a great defense around Brandon Flowers, Glenn Dorsey and either Eric Berry or Rolando McClain. Too bad I can't really include Tyson Jackson in that list.....

Chiefnj2
01-08-2010, 01:49 PM
Your ILB's are only going to be as good as the front 3 let them. If the front 3 don't occupy the OL and linemen are getting clear shots at the LB's, then it doesn't really matter if you have McClain or not.

Basileus777
01-08-2010, 02:03 PM
If Berry and Clausen are gone, then McClain probably is the best option. Taking a project safety like Mays at 5 would be a much bigger reach than McClain.

Icon
01-08-2010, 02:20 PM
Other than Suh there are no "elite" players at traditional valued positions, i.e. QB, DE and OLT. I think most anyone we select at #5 might be considered a reach using traditional thinking.

I'm like many posters here who stated I don't care if we reach or not I just want a player who makes an impact his rookie year. I really don't care if it's Safety, Linebacker or Wide Receiver. We need playmakers on both sides of the ball.

El Jefe
01-08-2010, 02:23 PM
Absolutely. Give me someone that is actually playing for ROY on either side of the ball. Not another hack from LSU or some other marginal player. There isn't a player on this team that can't be upgraded at #5 outside of flowers/charles.

THIS x1000, good freaking post :clap:

El Jefe
01-08-2010, 02:25 PM
RD #3 FTW!

Washington is a beast, he is crazy fast too! I would take him in the 3rd.

Thig Lyfe
01-08-2010, 02:31 PM
Ecstatic picks:

1. Eric Berry
2. Jimmy Clausen

Picks that I'd be ok with:

1. Taylor Mays
2. Rolando McClain

Pretty much this. I'd probably be in-between on Clausen, but re-uniting him with Weis (and just the thought of the Chiefs actually drafting a quarterback in the first round) would get me pretty excited.

El Jefe
01-08-2010, 02:32 PM
If we trade back NOT to take Berry, I'm going to break my ****ing TV.

Yeah I would the whole thing.

suds79
01-08-2010, 02:32 PM
Your ILB's are only going to be as good as the front 3 let them. If the front 3 don't occupy the OL and linemen are getting clear shots at the LB's, then it doesn't really matter if you have McClain or not.

That's true.

But look where we stand. We have our 2 DEs but need a NT bad. Well there isn't one available at #5 that warrants that high of a pick.

So I expect the Chiefs to get that NT either via Free Agency or later in the draft.

But our LB core has been ignored in the draft for a long, long time and that has to change sooner or later.

Chiefnj2
01-08-2010, 02:49 PM
That's true.

But look where we stand. We have our 2 DEs but need a NT bad. Well there isn't one available at #5 that warrants that high of a pick.

So I expect the Chiefs to get that NT either via Free Agency or later in the draft.

But our LB core has been ignored in the draft for a long, long time and that has to change sooner or later.

I agree it needs a huge upgrade, but that upgrade won't be felt, or shall I say materialize, until the front 3 does their job. If KC takes McClain, and he doesn't put up Cushing like numbers there will be cries of "bust", or " we could have taken [insert name of 3rd round LB with similar stats] and gotten the same value."

spanky 52
01-08-2010, 03:08 PM
Get ready for Pioli to take either NT Williams or Cody. Doesn't look promising in free agency and he's shown he'll reach with Jackson last year.

irishjayhawk
01-08-2010, 03:09 PM
I think you take John McClain in any situation. Just look at how he dispensed Hans Gruber.

58kcfan89
01-08-2010, 04:12 PM
RD #3 FTW!

Would love him in the 3rd, especially if we fill our NT need either before the draft or before the 3rd round.

That's true.

This. I fully expect Pioli to throw some serious dough at any NT that warrants it in FA (assuming they're available) or to adress it in the draft. He also hopefully knows that a LB corps consisting of Vrabel, DeMorrio Williams, Derrick Johnson/Corey Mays and Tamba Hali is simply not good enough and I expect him to work at fixing that as well.

Mecca
01-08-2010, 04:19 PM
I said it before I'll say it again...

Damian Williams will be a better NFL player than Dez Bryant.

Titty Meat
01-08-2010, 04:20 PM
Cody is not a 1st round pick

Chris Meck
01-08-2010, 04:38 PM
I say absolutely, you'd take McClain.

We're SOOOO bad up the middle on defense, it's ridiculous. Weak at Nose, weak at both ILB spots, and weak at both S spots.

If Berry's gone, I think you take McClain, positional value bedamned. Think about where MOST of the huge plays this defense gave up went? RIGH"T UP THE FRIGGIN' middle. LAME.

there's no NT worth #5. There's a safety (Berry) maybe another (Mays). And there's a ILB.

I think I'd TRY to trade back, but that's not likely to happen. I wouldn't feel bad about taking an ILB that's a top notch athlete and regarded as a smart football player and coach on the field. No problem.

bowener
01-08-2010, 04:54 PM
I know the draftubators will be all over this w/ the "You don't draft a MLB in the top five!" argument. But after last night's preformance, as well as a very successful College season, would you take McClain with our pick at #5? Personally if Berry is off the board, I'd jump on the guy. He's not only a gifted athlete but a very intellectual player.

This is the current order up to us:

St. Louis Rams
Detroit Lions
Tampa Bay Buccaneers
Washington Redskins
Kansas City Chiefs

Who do you see those before us taking?

Rams:
Bulger is apparently not considering retirement as was reported in STL, but he is probably done there, and everywhere else as a starter, so the Rams will go after a QB, right?

Lions:
They do not need a QB obviously, but they still need a legitimate LT, is that what they go for? I do not see them going after Berry with Delmas there, but that would be a sick duo. I haven't watched them since earlier in the season, but I am guessing they still need DL help as well, so Suh?

Bucs:
Like the Chiefs, they need everything. Do they need safety help at all?

Skins:
The Rat has made a new nest on the east coast, is he going to want to go after a QB such as Clausen if he wasn't taken already or McCoy/Bradford (doubtful), or will he try using Campbell? Campbell has a strong arm, so is ti a possibility that they go after a WR threat with Bryant? Redskins seemed to have a terrible time this season trying to stretch the field, I dont know if that was coaching or lack of skill players, though.

Chiefs:
So far none of the teams prior look like their first concern or need would be a safety, so that seems to leave Berry for the picking... yeah lame, but if we get him be prepared for "Brandon 'picking' Flowers and Eric 'picking' Berry" or some shit like that...

I know less than probably most of the posters here, or at least I will openly admit I know very little as to how this draft will shake out, but it would appear the Cheifs still have a pretty good shot at Berry. Honestly, I am OK with the trading down scenario if another team falls in love with a QB and is afraid of the Browns or Raiders drafting one. I would love to have a freak safety on the roster, but I know the Chiefs need tons of players and talent. In the end, I still hope to see a freakish player on this roster, and it appears that needs to be Berry (though I would love to have McClain on this team too-- I am afraid he will end up a donkey :shake:).

Also, correct me if I am wrong, but I thought I had read somewhere that McClain can play either ILB or OLB. I realize the Chiefs would need his services at ILB more, so that is where he would play for them, but does his value rise if he can play either based on the fact that a team like the Chiefs could move him around in the LB corp during a game, or even move him outside if they stumble across another ILB that is strictly an ILB?

keg in kc
01-08-2010, 05:00 PM
Be a risk at 5, but this isn't aaron curry a year ago, this is adding someone like Urlacher or Lewis to the middle of the unit. McClain's an all-world player with phenomenal physical attributes who apparently studies the living shit out of tape and could feasibly quarterback the defense for a decade. I'm not sure he couldn't have a bigger impact on this team than any player likely available, and I include Berry in that statement. As I recall, Saban runs out of a 3-4 base, with a lot of similarities to what (I think) we'll want to do as the unit develops over the next couple of years, so McClain's already in tune with what he'd need to be doing as the centerpiece of the Chiefs D. It just seems to make so much sense on so many levels...

...so it probably won't happen.

bowener
01-08-2010, 05:15 PM
Be a risk at 5, but this isn't aaron curry a year ago, this is adding someone like Urlacher or Lewis to the middle of the unit. McClain's an all-world player with phenomenal physical attributes who apparently studies the living shit out of tape and could feasibly quarterback the defense for a decade. I'm not sure he couldn't have a bigger impact on this team than any player likely available, and I include Berry in that statement. As I recall, Saban runs out of a 3-4 base, with a lot of similarities to what (I think) we'll want to do as the unit develops over the next couple of years, so McClain's already in tune with what he'd need to be doing as the centerpiece of the Chiefs D. It just seems to make so much sense on so many levels...

...so it probably won't happen.

Hmm, well if he can be a Lewis type presence on this team, then I would see no reason why the #5 spot (though still a little high) wouldn't be too bad of a place to take him I guess. I just wish their was a way for the Chiefs to get their Ray Lewis and Ed Reed at the same time :(.

keg in kc
01-08-2010, 05:31 PM
Hmm, well if he can be a Lewis type presence on this team, then I would see no reason why the #5 spot (though still a little high) wouldn't be too bad of a place to take him I guess. I just wish their was a way for the Chiefs to get their Ray Lewis and Ed Reed at the same time :(.Seriously. I'd be ecstatic with either one and I'm pretty glad I'm not the one making the decision. If only there was some way to get them both.

SDChiefs
01-08-2010, 06:00 PM

We got McGee with our 3rd rd pick. Has he, up until this point, proven to be worse than Jackson? No. He would have done just as much and we could have gotten a better pick with 3.

BossChief
01-09-2010, 02:28 AM
Ill tell you one thing, if Pioli is looking to solidify the middle of his defense, and more notably his run defense, he could do much worse than coming out of his first two picks with mount Cody and Rolando. Add Selvie in the third or fourth and our front seven could be much improved. Throw in a late rounder on Myron Rolle and we could have some serious prospects on defense going forward.

1) Rolando
2a) Cody
2b) Benn/Tate
3) Moeaki
4) Selvie
5a) Calloway
5b) Myron Rolle
5c) Dan Doering

I am doing this mock because I am trusting some of our more respected members opinion on how a couple of our younger linemen could turn our such as Harris starting at LG and Brown at RG. This allowed me to add more playmaking to the draft. I still dont like Barry Richardson at RT though, I think he is garbage.

ChiefsCountry
01-09-2010, 02:36 AM
The move to the 3-4 as sure fucked up drafting in the top 5.

Saccopoo
01-09-2010, 02:40 AM
Holy shit...

People had a fucking conniption about drafting Curry last year, and Curry was a much better prospect than McClain.

Saccopoo
01-09-2010, 02:43 AM
Ill tell you one thing, if Pioli is looking to solidify the middle of his defense, and more notably his run defense, he could do much worse than coming out of his first two picks with mount Cody and Rolando. Add Selvie in the third or fourth and our front seven could be much improved. Throw in a late rounder on Myron Rolle and we could have some serious prospects on defense going forward.

1) Rolando
2a) Cody
2b) Benn/Tate
3) Moeaki
4) Selvie
5a) Calloway
5b) Myron Rolle
5c) Dan Doering

I am doing this mock because I am trusting some of our more respected members opinion on how a couple of our younger linemen could turn our such as Harris starting at LG and Brown at RG. This allowed me to add more playmaking to the draft. I still dont like Barry Richardson at RT though, I think he is garbage.

Arrelious Benn...that would be just great. One more fucking receiver who can't catch.

BossChief
01-09-2010, 02:51 AM
Arrelious Benn...that would be just great. One more fucking receiver who can't catch.

I dont know much about the receivers in this class. I just know we need one that can make plays. Who would you suggest in his place if we were to go receiver at that pick that should be available. I also figured in that Benn can impact the return game.

Saccopoo
01-09-2010, 02:59 AM
I dont know much about the receivers in this class. I just know we need one that can make plays. Who would you suggest in his place if we were to go receiver at that pick that should be available. I also figured in that Benn can impact the return game.

In the second round? Shipley, Decker, Tate. McGaha from the third and beyond.

I'd just like someone who can catch, and Benn couldn't catch a case of chlamydia from a $10 wharf hooker.

BossChief
01-09-2010, 03:08 AM
In the second round? Shipley, Decker, Tate. McGaha from the third and beyond.

I'd just like someone who can catch, and Benn couldn't catch a case of chlamydia from a $10 wharf hooker.

I had Tate on there with a slash between him and Benn. I honestly didnt know about his problem with drops, if I had I wouldn't even be wasting my time with him.

I like Shipley too, I cant believe I didnt have him there instead, as I have seen him play quite a bit and I like his style.

How does the rest of that mock look?

58kcfan89
01-09-2010, 03:22 AM
Holy shit...

People had a ****ing conniption about drafting Curry last year, and Curry was a much better prospect than McClain.

Maybe so, but Curry was never considered to be as knowledgeable about the game as McClain (at least as far as I can remember). Add in the fact that no one seemed to know where Curry could play his best ball at (ILB or OLB? 3-4 or 4-3?) and I'd rather have McClain than Curry.. And no, that's not hindsight, I was never really sold on Curry in a 3-4.

Then again, I didn't pay much attention last year, so I don't know why people did or didn't want Curry. Just my 2 cents.

Saccopoo
01-09-2010, 03:26 AM
I had Tate on there with a slash between him and Benn. I honestly didnt know about his problem with drops, if I had I wouldn't even be wasting my time with him.

I like Shipley too, I cant believe I didnt have him there instead, as I have seen him play quite a bit and I like his style.

How does the rest of that mock look?

I like McClain. I liked Curry. Probably should have picked him in hindsight. About the same type of player actually (in that their athleticism will allow them to play most LB spots) and the Chiefs definitely have a desperate need at ILB. (I think Belcher is solid and will be a major contributor next season at MLB.)

If I had my choice, I'd take Berry in the first and then a guy like Washington from TCU or Sean Lee in the second or Joe Pawelek/Jamar Cheney in the fourth or fifth. But I wouldn't complain about McClain.

They'll have to look hard at Cody if he's there in the second.

There's a number of tight ends that I'd pick above Moeaki in the third. Pitta, Dickson, Hernandez. If he was there in the fifth, which he probably will be, he'd be worth a look.

I don't think Calloway or Rolle will be there in the fifth. Both are likely third or fourth rounders. They be steals in the fifth IMO.

BossChief
01-09-2010, 03:37 AM
I like McClain. I liked Curry. Probably should have picked him in hindsight. About the same type of player actually (in that their athleticism will allow them to play most LB spots) and the Chiefs definitely have a desperate need at ILB. (I think Belcher is solid and will be a major contributor next season at MLB.)

If I had my choice, I'd take Berry in the first and then a guy like Washington from TCU or Sean Lee in the second or Joe Pawelek/Jamar Cheney in the fourth or fifth. But I wouldn't complain about McClain.

They'll have to look hard at Cody if he's there in the second.

There's a number of tight ends that I'd pick above Moeaki in the third. Pitta, Dickson, Hernandez. If he was there in the fifth, which he probably will be, he'd be worth a look.

I don't think Calloway or Rolle will be there in the fifth. Both are likely third or fourth rounders. They be steals in the fifth IMO.
I agree on Belcher. I have seemed to take to him since PS. Seems to have a lot of the tools it takes to make it in the middle.

I have watched a lot of Moeaki and I would take him and not look back in the third. Kirk Ferentz said he is the best tight end he has ever coached and that is pretty telling because of Dallas Clark coming from there. I think Moeaki ends up a very productive pro and would be a great safety net for MC. If it werent for injuries, he might be thought of as a higher pick, but again I think he will be a much better pro.

Saccopoo
01-09-2010, 03:38 AM
Maybe so, but Curry was never considered to be as knowledgeable about the game as McClain (at least as far as I can remember). Add in the fact that no one seemed to know where Curry could play his best ball at (ILB or OLB? 3-4 or 4-3?) and I'd rather have McClain than Curry.. And no, that's not hindsight, I was never really sold on Curry in a 3-4.

Then again, I didn't pay much attention last year, so I don't know why people did or didn't want Curry. Just my 2 cents.

Because Curry had no faults in his game, was very athletic, big and smart. He was equally good at coverage and the run and shed blocks extremely well as well as being strong enough to take on blockers, fight through them and get to the ball.

Problem was, he played at Wake, so he didn't get the chance to have Brent Musberger blowing sunshine up his ass for all the world to see/hear. McClain is a stud, but I don't think he's as good as Curry was at the same stage. He's got a lot more help than Curry did in terms of talent around him and as such, Curry had to do a lot more as far as covering the field.

I think that the Chiefs have a chance to get a truly special player in Berry with that pick, and could potentially pick up a guy like Brandon Spikes, Daryll Washington, Sean Lee or Pat Angerer in the second or third round. I like Belcher as the future MLB, so I hope that they are looking for more of a true ILB.

Like I said, I wouldn't complain about McClain. But if they pick him instead of Berry, when they could have had Curry instead of Jackson last year, I'm going to be a little peeved.

eazyb81
01-10-2010, 12:51 PM
Rolando McClain is the best ILB prospect this decade, period. I like him as a better LB prospect than Curry or Willis when they came out. He's not quite the athletic freak, but he moves so well for a guy that is 6'4" 260. He's not the sideline-to-sideline gazelle that Curry is, but he is a beast against the run, a great inside blitzer, and has perfect technique.

He's been a coach on the field since he was a freshman and has mastered Saban's 3-4 scheme. Unlike most LBs, we won't have to project how he will transition to the 3-4 - we have three years of film to rely on. Saban said he is the smartest player he has ever coached and is a tireless worker both in practice and in film sessions.

We've had some good luck with Butkus award winners from Alabama too. :)

OnTheWarpath15
01-10-2010, 01:06 PM
Rolando McClain is the best ILB prospect this decade, period. I like him as a better LB prospect than Curry or Willis when they came out. He's not quite the athletic freak, but he moves so well for a guy that is 6'4" 260. He's not the sideline-to-sideline gazelle that Curry is, but he is a beast against the run, a great inside blitzer, and has perfect technique.

He's been a coach on the field since he was a freshman and has mastered Saban's 3-4 scheme. Unlike most LBs, we won't have to project how he will transition to the 3-4 - we have three years of film to rely on. Saban said he is the smartest player he has ever coached and is a tireless worker both in practice and in film sessions.

I definitely think he's a better prospect than Curry, but think he's a slight notch below Wills.

I just hope he doesn't end up inside the division.

eazyb81
01-10-2010, 01:32 PM
This is the type of leader our defense is sorely lacking.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/1wOwLqxXBlk&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/1wOwLqxXBlk&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Rausch
01-10-2010, 01:34 PM
He's not only a gifted athlete but a very intellectual player.

If you hear those words about a MLB/SS/QB you draft the guy...

Micjones
01-10-2010, 01:37 PM
I'll take McClain if Berry's off the board. We're in a dead zone again so...
Give me an impact player. RM's 125-140 tackle per year kind of guy.
He can come in and make an immediate contribution.

Hammock Parties
01-10-2010, 01:41 PM
Our middle linebacker missed more tackles than just about anyone in the league this year. Furthermore, he couldn't cover his grandma.

Yes.

doomy3
01-10-2010, 02:16 PM
If Berry is off the board at 5, I would be good with McClain. It isn't like we couldn't use an ILB that can actually make tackles. Plus, McClain seems like a leader, and he played on a winning team.

Mecca
01-10-2010, 02:17 PM
I have to admit there is something really funny about a guy trashing Benn but liking Jordan fucking Shipley.

doomy3
01-10-2010, 02:21 PM
I have to admit there is something really funny about a guy trashing Benn but liking Jordan ****ing Shipley.

I think Shipley will be a good slot in the NFL. Benn is very physically gifted, but he really hasn't done much with it. Sort of reminds me of a Heyward-Bey type.

Mecca
01-10-2010, 02:22 PM
Benn spent his college career with Juice Williams.

Extra Point
01-10-2010, 02:27 PM
McClain. Has the tools.

OnTheWarpath15
01-10-2010, 02:27 PM
I have to admit there is something really funny about a guy trashing Benn but liking Jordan fucking Shipley.

B12, baby.

Sweet Dick Willy
01-10-2010, 02:40 PM
LMAO @ Goodbye New England.

Sweet Dick Willy
01-10-2010, 02:46 PM

So much defensive talent in this draft. If we take O-line in round 1, we are seriously managed by an idiot.

RustShack
01-10-2010, 03:08 PM
OK let me get this straight. If Pioli thinks Bryant, Okung, or McClain can be impact players... its OK to reach on them. But if he thinks Tyson Jackson is an impact player... its not OK to reach for him?

Sweet Dick Willy
01-10-2010, 03:13 PM
OK let me get this straight. If Pioli thinks Bryant, Okung, or McClain can be impact players... its OK to reach on them. But if he thinks Tyson Jackson is an impact player... its not OK to reach for him?

If Pioli thinks or thought that Jackson was an impact player, I weep for the future.

RustShack
01-10-2010, 03:21 PM
If Pioli thinks or thought that Jackson was an impact player, I weep for the future.

Patriots fans probably thought the same thing when they reached on Richard Seymour too ROFL

BossChief
01-10-2010, 05:36 PM
Tyson Jackson will heavily impact our rush defense and allow a rushbacker to excel once he is up to speed.

I dont want some fool to come in and tell me how he was the worst end in the NFL either, judging rookie DL is like judging rookie qbs. It is shortsighted and shows a lack of understanding of the requirements of the position and how long it takes players to learn it.

To win in the playoffs, you have to have a good rush defense and that was our biggest weakness in the last decade. If we are building a team for two to three years from now, that puts the timeline of TJ being up to speed at about the time we are hopefully in the race.

We might have done better with a few other players at that pick, but the TJ pick is nowhere near as bad of a pick as some here make it out to be.

IMHO of course

RustShack
01-10-2010, 06:31 PM
Tyson Jackson will heavily impact our rush defense and allow a rushbacker to excel once he is up to speed.

I dont want some fool to come in and tell me how he was the worst end in the NFL either, judging rookie DL is like judging rookie qbs. It is shortsighted and shows a lack of understanding of the requirements of the position and how long it takes players to learn it.

To win in the playoffs, you have to have a good rush defense and that was our biggest weakness in the last decade. If we are building a team for two to three years from now, that puts the timeline of TJ being up to speed at about the time we are hopefully in the race.

We might have done better with a few other players at that pick, but the TJ pick is nowhere near as bad of a pick as some here make it out to be.

IMHO of course

This. If it were a good year with elite talent its a different story.. but no one really jumped out last year like most years.

Sweet Dick Willy
01-10-2010, 06:50 PM
This. If it were a good year with elite talent its a different story.. but no one really jumped out last year like most years.

Yep, that Crabtree fellow would have been no help to us whatsoever.

RustShack
01-10-2010, 07:08 PM

Hes not as good of a prospect as your making him out to be. Its not like we passed on Calvin Johnson... its more we passed on Rashan Woods.

Brock
01-10-2010, 07:14 PM
Hes not as good of a prospect as your making him out to be. Its not like we passed on Calvin Johnson... its more we passed on Rashan Woods.

ROFL What a stupid thing to say. Woods caught 7 passes in his rookie year.

Sweet Dick Willy
01-10-2010, 07:26 PM

Only Chambers put up more yards( 105 more )than Crabtree who didn't play for the first 6 weeks of the season.

But he's no Dez Bryant...:rolleyes:

BossChief
01-10-2010, 07:26 PM

Im sure that most people at the Coalition (where I was still mostly posting at prior to the draft) can tell you that my #1 preference was Orakpo, #2 was Crabtree (though his immaturity bothered me) #3 was Raji (but his stupidity was a huge red flag for a pick that high. After getting the money he could have fell off the map due to lack of intelligence issues on or off the field)

I still believe any of the three would have been better picks, but lets let it play out to see why Pioli (and a few other gms) thought TJ was worth such a high pick.

Sweet Dick Willy
01-10-2010, 07:32 PM
Im sure that most people at the Coalition (where I was still mostly posting at prior to the draft) can tell you that my #1 preference was Orakpo, #2 was Crabtree (though his immaturity bothered me) #3 was Raji (but his stupidity was a huge red flag for a pick that high. After getting the money he could have fell off the map due to lack of intelligence issues on or off the field)

I still believe any of the three would have been better picks, but lets let it play out to see why Pioli (and a few other gms) thought TJ was worth such a high pick.

As if we have a choice. Besides, it's what Pioli does THIS year that sets the tone for success or FAIL.
If ever there were NO margin for error in an off season, this would be it.

BossChief
01-10-2010, 07:38 PM
As if we have a choice. Besides, it's what Pioli does THIS year that sets the tone for success or FAIL.
If ever there were NO margin for error in an off season, this would be it.

I agree. My question is that if he was laying the foundation for future talent to be able to come in and produce by taking a player like TJ, why didnt he also try to improve the OL in a draft where we could have had some good prospects in the middle rounds.

ChiefsCountry
01-10-2010, 07:45 PM
Patriots fans probably thought the same thing when they reached on Richard Seymour too ROFL

Drafting a 4-3 DT is different than drafting a 3 tech DE.

Titty Meat
01-10-2010, 07:46 PM
Is Dansby a free agent? If so no reason to draft McClain.

Molitoth
01-10-2010, 07:47 PM
I like Berry, but in Pioli I trust (for another season).

Sweet Dick Willy
01-10-2010, 07:51 PM
I agree. My question is that if he was laying the foundation for future talent to be able to come in and produce by taking a player like TJ, why didnt he also try to improve the OL in a draft where we could have had some good prospects in the middle rounds.

It is strange. Not having a 2nd round pick really fucked us I think. And I mean that in the sense of just not having the pick, and not "was the trade worth it".

Who knows what goes on in that mans head? :shrug:

RustShack
01-10-2010, 08:22 PM
ROFL What a stupid thing to say. Woods caught 7 passes in his rookie year.

I'm not talking about their rookie years.. I'm talking about them as prospects at the time. Sorry that I didn't have a time machine like you bra.

Titty Meat
01-10-2010, 08:22 PM
The o-line wasn't as bad the last half of the season and all that needs to be upgrade is center & right tackle and dump Waters.

RustShack
01-10-2010, 08:24 PM

Pioli builds defense through the draft and offense through free agency and trades.

DeezNutz
01-10-2010, 08:29 PM
I like Berry, but in Pioli I trust (for another season).

http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-violent072.gif

BossChief
01-10-2010, 08:45 PM
The o-line wasn't as bad the last half of the season and all that needs to be upgrade is center & right tackle and dump Waters.I think the oline came together on the exact timeline as Albert coming out of his adjustment period.

Pioli builds defense through the draft and offense through free agency and trades.
Logan Mankins was a first rounder for them
They drafted Matt Light in the second round
They drafted Dan Koppen in the third round
They drafted Nick Kaczur in the third round

They drafted that oline

Mecca
01-10-2010, 08:52 PM

Is that why New England hasn't drafted any good pass rushers at all?

DeezNutz
01-10-2010, 08:55 PM
Is that why New England hasn't drafted any good pass rushers at all?

You don't need pass rushers to build an effective 34.

RustShack
01-10-2010, 08:58 PM

EDIT

For the most part high picks went to the defense.

Brock
01-10-2010, 10:15 PM
I'm not talking about their rookie years.. I'm talking about them as prospects at the time. Sorry that I didn't have a time machine like you bra.

You don't need a time machine, you need some glasses.

RustShack
01-10-2010, 10:19 PM
You don't need a time machine, you need some glasses.

Its pretty easy for you to say that now. But anyone who actually pays attention to football and doesn't get blinded by spread stats knew he wasn't an elite prospect. Nothing more than what Jackson was to the 3-4 DE position.

DaneMcCloud
01-10-2010, 10:41 PM
Its pretty easy for you to say that now. But anyone who actually pays attention to football and doesn't get blinded by spread stats knew he wasn't an elite prospect. Nothing more than what Jackson was to the 3-4 DE position.

Bullshit

BossChief
01-11-2010, 01:34 AM
It is strange. Not having a 2nd round pick really fucked us I think. And I mean that in the sense of just not having the pick, and not "was the trade worth it".

Who knows what goes on in that mans head? :shrug:I just think that what he saw were players that were available to draft because they werent good enough to be NFL starters and thought players at other positions were. Who knows.

You don't need pass rushers to build an effective 34.

Baltimore has had a damn good defense without outstanding pass rushers. Terrell Suggs hasnt had double digit sacks since 2004. Adalius Thomas has only had one year where he went over 10 sacks.

New England had a championship caliber defense without outstanding pass rushers. Vrabel has only one year with double digit sacks. They really dont try to get after the qb as a priority over coverage and reaction.

Both teams had OLBs that were effective pass rushers, but added more than just that to the defense. I imagine we will look for similar type players.

Who fits this best?

-King-
01-11-2010, 03:34 AM
If you know a team like the Redskins is going to pick Berry would you trade the 1st and one of your 2nds to the Bucs to get up and get him?

BossChief
01-11-2010, 04:27 AM
If you know a team like the Redskins is going to pick Berry would you trade the 1st and one of your 2nds to the Bucs to get up and get him?

:shake:

second rounders this year will be like some firsts last year.

and the deep class of rushbackers should allow one of them to fall to us with that pick.

RustShack
01-11-2010, 07:43 AM

No fucking way.

Micjones
01-11-2010, 08:02 AM
Wouldn't trade up for Berry. Those 2's will be precious this year.
Sergio Kindle, Golden Tate, Arrelious Benn, Von Miller, Brandon Spikes, Marshawn Gilyard...

This is a GREAT year to have multiple #2's.

Chiefnj2
01-11-2010, 08:14 AM
Mid to late 2nd round picks through 3rd round are good for OL, LB and HB.

Coogs
01-11-2010, 10:22 AM

So a victory over the Bronco's would essentially cost us a 2nd round draft pick if you want to pick in the 3rd spot. :shake:

talastan
01-11-2010, 03:50 PM
http://www.arrowheadpride.com/2010/1/11/1245886/alabama-lb-rolando-mcclain

Alabama LB Rolando McClain Declares for the NFL Draft

Yes, it's a little early for draft talk but this is a player I imagine will be talked about quite often at One Arrowhead Drive over the next three months.

Rolando McClain is an inside linebacker that will likely be selected in the top ten, possibly even top five if the Kansas City Chiefs are inclined to take a closer look.

He's an "admitted film junkie" and called the smartest player Nick Saban's ever coached. This ESPN article delves into a little more detail on his film-watching habits.

"Now, I watch film instead of watching TV," McClain said.

"McClain knows the Alabama defense inside and out. In fact, he knows the responsibilities of every player on the field. He made up his mind following his freshman season that he was going to do everything he could to help take his game to the next level."

He's been calling plays since he was a freshman.

He definitely appears to fit the mold of the "right 53" and I suspect he'll become a major part of the discussion. When Chiefs GM Pioli was last with the Patriots in 2008, they drafted a linebacker (Jerod Mayo) 10th overall.

Saccopoo
01-11-2010, 04:51 PM

Look at it this way:

McClain and Stuckey.