PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Weis sees 'mutual fit' as new Chiefs offensive coordinator

petegz28
01-08-2010, 03:14 PM
The Chiefs today introduced Charlie Weis as their offensive coordinator.

Weis, in his first public statement as a Chief, sounded the same theme as head coach Todd Haley. Haley had said he was looking for a good fit for his new offensive coordinator.

''As I’ve been sitting for the last month or so at home studying the different teams in the NFL, one of the things that was really important to me as I was looking for a new opportunity, I wanted to go somewhere where fit was the number one criteria,'' Weis said. ''There are several teams out there that are in the hunt for different types of coaches.

''But there is s mutual fit in my relationship with Todd and my relationship with (general manager Scott Pioli) and several other people in the organization, That made Kansas City look like one of the prime landing spots for me.

''Philosophically, what Todd has expressed to me coincides so closely with how I see things in the big picture. This marriage seemed very, very, very simple.''

Haley and Weis worked together years ago as assistant coaches with the New York Jets. More importantly, Weis’ offense is almost an exact copy of Haley’s. Haley said he doesn’t want to disrupt offensive continuity after the Chiefs made late-season progress.

Weis was the offensive coordinator for New England from 2000 through 2004, when the Patriots won three Super Bowls and current Chiefs general manager Scott Pioli was Patriots’ personnel director.

From there, he moved on to Notre Dame. He coached five seasons and finished with a 35-27 record. But the Irish went 3-9, 7-6 and 6-6 in his final three years and he was fired after the 2009 season.

Haley designed the Chiefs’ offense and weekly game plans himself and called the plays after firing Chan Gailey in the preseason.

"I made some difficult decisions back in August that probably would have been easier for me to just stay status quo," Haley said. "But at the time I thought it was best for the team and the overall foundation that was being laid to make those changes."

Since the Chiefs finished the regular season with a 4-12 record by beating the Broncos 44-24 in Denver, Haley made two changes to the staff, firing defensive line coach Tim Krumrie and offensive line assistant Joe D’Alessandris.

HypnotizedMonkey
01-08-2010, 03:16 PM
God Speed.

Mr. Flopnuts
01-08-2010, 03:41 PM
"I made some difficult decisions back in August that probably would have been easier for me to just stay status quo," Haley said. "But at the time I thought it was best for the team and the overall foundation that was being laid to make those changes."

As stupid as it was, I blame Clark, not Todd.