PDA

View Full Version : KSU Coach Martin Hits KSU Player. Is this an issue?

|Zach|
01-09-2010, 04:40 PM
Not trying to sling shit. I honestly don't know if something will be made of this. With all the player\coach crap that has been coming up in the Big 12. Video below...

Thoughts?

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/xvs1CBQCE6E&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/xvs1CBQCE6E&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

DeezNutz
01-09-2010, 04:42 PM
If this becomes an issue, the pussification of this country is complete.

Buehler445
01-09-2010, 04:47 PM
Did he even make contact?

|Zach|
01-09-2010, 04:48 PM
Did he even make contact?

Yes. Obviously.

Buehler445
01-09-2010, 04:49 PM
I remember Bobby Knight tapped the underside of a kid's jaw to get him to look at him and ESPN freaked the ever living fuck out. It may become an issue, but as Deez Nutz alluded to, it would be ridiculous.

SPATCH
01-09-2010, 04:49 PM
He pretty much hit him on the backside, which is basketball commonplace

Brock
01-09-2010, 04:50 PM
That's a hit?

Buehler445
Yes. Obviously.

Sorry, I missed it. I didn't ever see Martin's hand touch the kid. I saw him take a step back like there was impact, but I couldn't be sure. I then saw Martin swing an open hand, but it didn't look like he was hitting the guy. Sorry, I missed the obvious part.

|Zach|
He pretty much hit him on the backside, which is basketball commonplace

He struck him in anger.

You can't equate the two.

Again. this isnt a big deal to me. But I am saying it could be.

WilliamTheIrish
01-09-2010, 04:51 PM
Deni Clemente noogied Injun Joe MorningsTard last season harder than that. If it's an issue, I expect Craig James to call the new university president.

|Zach|
01-09-2010, 04:51 PM
Sorry, I missed it. I didn't ever see Martin's hand touch the kid. I saw him take a step back like there was impact, but I couldn't be sure. I then saw Martin swing an open hand, but it didn't look like he was hitting the guy. Sorry, I missed the obvious part.

:03

Buehler445
01-09-2010, 04:53 PM
:03

Ah. Thanks.

58kcfan89
01-09-2010, 04:54 PM
Deni Clemente noogied Injun Joe MorningsTard last season harder than that. If it's an issue, I expect Craig James to call the new university president.

These. If he had hit him in the face or shoved him, maybe, but if this is a big problem, I'm gunna be pissed.

keg in kc
01-09-2010, 04:54 PM
I was expecting a punch the way the header read, but I didn't see anything in the video that looked like a "hit" of any kind. Maybe he swatted him on the hip or something? Either way, I would sure hope that's not an issue.

DeezNutz
01-09-2010, 04:55 PM
Finger in the chest and a "that's your man."

We used to call this "youth basketball."

beer bacon
01-09-2010, 04:55 PM
He tapped him in the chest. It probably won't be an issue, but somebody in the AD or on his staff should remind him it isn't a good idea to do stuff like that.

58kcfan89
01-09-2010, 05:00 PM
He tapped him in the chest. It probably won't be an issue, but somebody in the AD or on his staff should remind him it isn't a good idea to do stuff like that.

K-State's assistant Sports Information Director (Tom Gilbert) was sitting right behind the bench and it looks like he saw the whole thing. I'll bet he'll remind Coach Martin that what he did probably wasn't the best idea.

And the fact that we're even talking about stuff like this is weak. Especially when guys lose their jobs over things that were commonplace 10+ years ago.

WilliamTheIrish
01-09-2010, 05:02 PM
Finger in the chest and a "that's your man."

We used to call this "youth basketball."

The nuns in my Catholic school called it "2nd grade math" and "Do you believe in God or do you believe I can shatter your sternum with my index finger"?

I think Frank may have had the same Sisters Of Charity in Fla. grade school.

DeezNutz
01-09-2010, 05:04 PM
The nuns in my Catholic school called it "2nd grade math" and "Do you believe in God or do you believe I can shatter your sternum with my index finger"?

I think Frank may have had the same Sisters Of Charity in Fla. grade school.

Those sisters sound like upstanding women.

SPATCH
01-09-2010, 05:04 PM

I don't know where this chest tapping business is coming from...

He hit him in the hip (normal in basketball culture), then gave him the intensive five (a form of encouragement in basketball culture). This is a non-issue, and I'll be shocked if ESPN gives the incident any national exposure.

kstater
01-09-2010, 05:31 PM
Fire him.

WilliamTheIrish
01-09-2010, 05:34 PM
Frank learned that watching Castro as a child.

Royal Fanatic
01-09-2010, 05:41 PM
I was watching the game, and when I saw it I said "Frank Martin looks pretty pissed."

It never occurred to me that anyone would see that and say that he HIT the player.

ChiefaRoo
01-09-2010, 05:56 PM
Not trying to sling shit. I honestly don't know if something will be made of this. With all the player\coach crap that has been coming up in the Big 12. Video below...

Thoughts?

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/xvs1CBQCE6E&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/xvs1CBQCE6E&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

You're a pussy of the first order Zach. Go shave your legs and STFU.

|Zach|
01-09-2010, 05:59 PM
You're a pussy of the first order Zach. Go shave your legs and STFU.

Keyboard tough guy. It is an impressive thing to be. Honorable.

kstater
01-09-2010, 06:01 PM
To be fair, Merrieweather was having like the best game of his career. No need to let him enjoy that.

WilliamTheIrish
01-09-2010, 06:03 PM
Zach didn't do anything bad. It's a legit subject given the time and circumstances of recent events.

HonestChieffan
01-09-2010, 06:18 PM
Does the kid have a lawyer yet?

ChiefaRoo
01-09-2010, 06:30 PM
Keyboard tough guy. It is an impressive thing to be. Honorable.

Is that all you got? Why don't you show us some of your dumbass pics now.

|Zach|
01-09-2010, 06:39 PM

As dumbass as my pictures may be they pay the bills. It is nice being a freelancer.

Do you have a boss?

ChiTown
01-09-2010, 06:55 PM
Geezus, some of you people are just fucking dopes.

Great game, by the way. Great college basketball atmosphere - loved it, except for the outcome.

ChiefaRoo
01-09-2010, 07:18 PM
As dumbass as my pictures may be they pay the bills. It is nice being a freelancer.

Do you have a boss?

I am the boss.

Now, step into my office because you're f**king fired.

|Zach|
01-09-2010, 07:19 PM
I am the boss.

Now, step into my office because you're f**king fired.

Wait, the guy who follows around and obsesses for Skip Towne has people under him. God help that shitty company.

Sure-Oz
01-09-2010, 07:19 PM

cmon

Reerun_KC
01-09-2010, 07:20 PM
Seems strange to me that Franks would do such a thing?
I would be a little upset if Coach Self did that...

Seems like an anger management issue.. Doubt much comes of it, but was pretty stupid to do, given the circumstances around the country like William said...

Franks will learn.

ChiefaRoo
01-09-2010, 07:20 PM
Wait, the guy who follows around and obsesses for Skip Towne has people under him. God help that shitty company.

LMAO

Skips having a beer in my living room with me right now.

kstater
01-09-2010, 07:22 PM
t...

Seems like an anger management issue..

I have no doubts about it. He just can't control himself.

Reerun_KC
01-09-2010, 07:24 PM
I have no doubts about it. He just can't control himself.BTW, I am no way bagging on Franks....

Just calling it as I see it...

With all the controversy around the Big 12 and NCAA's.... I would think he would make an effort to control himself and not make physical contact out of anger...

I have no dog in the fight, just an observation.

jAZ
01-09-2010, 07:25 PM

It's a product of a for-profit media that looks to generate ratings by generating controversy where none naturally exists.

kstater
01-09-2010, 07:25 PM
BTW, I am no way bagging on Franks....

Just calling it as I see it...

With all the controversy around the Big 12 and NCAA's.... I would think he would make an effort to control himself and not make physical contact out of anger...

I have no dog in the fight, just an observation.

Should he survive this, he should really just stick to yelling at officials.

ChiTown
01-09-2010, 07:28 PM
He should really just stick to yelling at officials.

He yells at his team WAY more than the refs. It's not even close.

Reerun_KC
01-09-2010, 07:29 PM
Should he survive this, he should really just stick to yelling at officials.
I am sure Franks will survive it... I am guessing sarcasm here?

I cant see where this would be a fireable offense. Lets hope he sticks of yelling and not hitting...

Reerun_KC
01-09-2010, 07:30 PM
It's a product of a for-profit media that looks to generate ratings by generating controversy where none naturally exists.

Disagree to a point...

Physical abuse isnt acceptable... Regardless of the media...

BWillie
01-09-2010, 07:39 PM
He hit him on the hand. Who cares.

Reerun_KC
01-09-2010, 07:40 PM

Somebody cares to make a video of it.....

MikeMaslowski
01-09-2010, 07:43 PM
I missed some blocks and my coach dragged me back, had me stand like the QB sprinted his old ass 10 yards and smoked the shit outta me. I didn't miss a backside block the rest of the year. And we won state. This clip doesn't bother me...coach looks pretty effin intense though.

WilliamTheIrish
01-09-2010, 07:56 PM
Seems strange to me that Franks would do such a thing?
I would be a little upset if Coach Self did that...

Seems like an anger management issue.. Doubt much comes of it, but was pretty stupid to do, given the circumstances around the country like William said...

Franks will learn.

To bo honest other than the extreme oversensitivity to the issue I can't see what he did that would be considered 'hitting'.

beer bacon
01-09-2010, 07:56 PM
Martin is a good coach. When K-State hired him I thought he was just some joker that was supposed to hold onto Huggins' recruits. He has proved me wrong.

Lzen
01-09-2010, 08:08 PM
That is nothing.

Dante84
01-09-2010, 08:08 PM
No.

Reerun_KC
01-09-2010, 08:23 PM
To bo honest other than the extreme oversensitivity to the issue I can't see what he did that would be considered 'hitting'.

Fair enough... Makes me no never mind anyway...

jAZ
01-09-2010, 08:44 PM
Disagree to a point...

Physical abuse isnt acceptable... Regardless of the media...

I agree, but poking a guy in the chest and then low-fiving him wouldn't qualify as "physical abuse" in the least. But it could easily be a media-generated 'controversy' that might drive ratings for a few days. That would be pretty common and pretty unacceptable IMO.

jAZ
01-09-2010, 08:45 PM

Looked like a low-5 to me.

WilliamTheIrish
01-09-2010, 08:50 PM
I agree, but poking a guy in the chest and then low-fiving him wouldn't qualify as "physical abuse" in the least. But it could easily be a media-generated 'controversy' that might drive ratings for a few days. That would be pretty common and pretty unacceptable IMO.

I don't think Zach was trying to create controversy. But I do agree completely about the "creating controversy to generate ratings" issue.

arrowheadnation
01-09-2010, 09:10 PM
Looks like to me he hit him, then realized he fucked up so he quickly threw in an "atta boy" five to cover for it.

Archie F. Swin
01-09-2010, 09:24 PM
Do you have a different camera angle that shows indisputable contact?

black angus
01-09-2010, 09:27 PM
I doubt that KSU is looking for an excuse to can Martin so it's all good. Mangino and Leach were scapegoated to save their schools money.

WilliamTheIrish
01-09-2010, 09:28 PM
I doubt that KSU is looking for an excuse to can Martin so it's all good. Mangino and Leach were scapegoated to save their schools money.

Hey Angus,

When I was a kid there was a great "bad guy" wrestler in the midwest called "Black Angus". Is that where your screen name came from?

Coogs
01-09-2010, 09:34 PM
From The Topeka Capital-Journal....

http://cjonline.com/sports/basketball/2010-01-09/column_martin_recognizes_mistake

Column: Martin recognizes mistake

COLUMBIA, Mo. — The day and age we live in dictated that Frank Martin begin his postgame press conference with a statement on Saturday.

Nothing regarding constant fouls, bottomless free throws, late defensive breakdowns, ineffective post play or the homecourt advantage that contributed to the 30th straight win for Mizzou in its namesake arena.

Instead, an apology was issued.

"I kind of whacked Chris Merriewether in the side there after that one turnover, and we just talked about that in the locker room," said the Kansas State basketball coach.

"That's a mistake on my part. I'm an old-school guy, but I also understand that times are real sensitive right now. I love him, and I don't know what to tell you. Wrong on my part, completely out of line and had no part in the game. I need to apologize for those actions."

Good for Martin. He admitted to his mistake up front. Repeated so privately to me before boarding the bus to head home after Missouri took charge late to trip K-State 74-68 in the Big 12 opener.

The "flick," as Martin also described the incident, more resembled a quick jab. It happened with 1:17 remaining and the Wildcats huddled at their bench after Jamar Samuels fouled out. Seconds earlier, a pass by Merriewether was stolen by the Tigers' Marcus Denmon, one of 21 turnovers committed by K-State.

Sure, Martin understands the perception he's a hothead. He even used that word mockingly to describe himself when recalling his preseason take on Missouri and how the Tigers were unfairly overlooked.

Maybe the incident will solidify the image some perceive of Martin the madman. No question, he is intense.

But he was quick to address his sideline indiscretion and appropriately confronted it head on. Well enough that no one was compelled to ask anything more about it.

Fan forums aren't threaded this way, but the matter should be closed, especially based on Merriewether's own postgame reaction.

"It was just the heat of the moment, big game, a lot of big plays going on," said the former walk-on. "We've got to have some of those plays. I mean, he hit me in the arm."

Oh, but this is the new and evolving world of P.C. sports — where Mark Mangino, Mike Leach and Jim Leavitt recently lost their jobs as head football coaches stemming from behavioral issues that were primarily outside the public domain.

When advised of the stir Martin's whack could cause, Merriewether affirmed his support of the K-State coach.

"I trust Frank, Frank trusts me. He's had my back since Day 1. I'll always have his back," Merriewether said.

No need, apparently, to call Daddy.

If anything, the Cats' inside toughness is the biggest issue to address coming out of their first loss in 11 games.

Their starting frontcourt — Dominique Sutton, Curtis Kelly and Luis Colon — combined for 10 points. Kelly didn't even play 10 minutes and probably wouldn't have re-entered late in the game had Colon and Jamar Samuels not fouled out.

Add Samuels, Jordan Henriquez-Roberts and Wally Judge and the K-State frontliners contributed 20 points and 19 boards. Not good. Especially considering MU's bigs have struggled to resemble the presence DeMarre Carroll and Leo Lyons commanded last season.

But K-State relied far too much on scoring from its backcourt. Merriewether included. He netted a career-high eight points. By doing so, Merriewether again became a subject of conversation for Martin.

"He knows that he has his limitations on offense," Martin said. "He plays with an unbelievable desire. And that's what gives him the opportunity to play in the Big 12. But when he's your third best offensive player in a basketball game, you're going to have some issues."

Farzin
01-09-2010, 09:39 PM
Somebody cares to make a video of it.....

Maybe just to get views?

WilliamTheIrish
01-09-2010, 09:39 PM
"He knows that he has his limitations on offense," Martin said. "He plays with an unbelievable desire. And that's what gives him the opportunity to play in the Big 12.

Translation: "Chris is a great student. Like all teams, we need his GPA. Other than that I only play him when there is no other option. Just before I hit him, I put my knife under the chair".

dirk digler
01-09-2010, 09:45 PM
When I saw this during the game I was thinking damn he was going to get in trouble cause it looked like he punched him. But after seeing this it looks like he hit him in the hip but he did pull a Haley.

If I am reading lips right he says "What the fuck are you doing man".

58kcfan89
01-09-2010, 11:16 PM
When I saw this during the game I was thinking damn he was going to get in trouble cause it looked like he punched him. But after seeing this it looks like he hit him in the hip but he did pull a Haley.

If I am reading lips right he says "What the **** are you doing man".

Far from the worst thing he's ever said...

irishjayhawk
01-09-2010, 11:20 PM

I considered it complete when the radio edited out a sound effect (the gun shots) in MIA's Paper Planes.

Mr_Tomahawk
01-10-2010, 08:50 AM
K-State coach apologizes for contact

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=4811927

COLUMBIA, Mo. -- Kansas State's Frank Martin is a fiery old-school screamer who expects his players to play with the same kind of passion he coaches with.

That passion got the better of Martin on Saturday -- and he feels bad about it.

I'm an old-school guy, but I understand the times are real sensitive now. I love him. I don't know what to tell you. It's wrong on my part and is completely out of line and has no part in the game. I need to apologize for that.

-- Kansas State coach Frank Martin
Caught up in the heat of a tight road game, Martin hit senior Chris Merriewether on the arm with the back of his hand late in a 74-68 loss to Missouri for Kansas State (No. 10 ESPN/USA Today, No. 11 AP). Martin wasted little time in apologizing, telling reporters he was wrong before taking questions during his postgame news conference.

"That's a mistake on my part," Martin said. "I'm an old-school guy, but I understand the times are real sensitive now. I love him. I don't know what to tell you. It's wrong on my part and is completely out of line and has no part in the game. I need to apologize for that."

Martin's swipe came during a timeout with 1:17 left after a turnover by Merriewether led to a foul at the other end.

Before Marcus Denmon hit one of two free throws to put Missouri up 66-63, Martin called timeout and gathered his team in front of the bench. He immediately started screaming at Merriewether and flicked the back of his hand at the senior, striking him on the arm with his fingers.

The crowd at Kansas State's end of the floor reacted and Martin, realizing he had made a mistake, flipped his hand again, appearing as if he were trying to high-five Merriewether.

Martin sought out Merriewether in the locker room after the game and apologized for popping him.

"It was just in the heat of the moment; big game, lot of heated plays going on," Merriewether said. "I mean, he hit me in the arm, it was nothing serious. [Teammate] Jacob Pullen came back right after and he hit me in the arm, too. It really wasn't too much. I trust Frank and Frank trusts me and it was just a heat of the moment-type deal. It's not a big deal at all."

It may not be a big deal to Merriewether, but Martin's swipe is sure to get some attention at a time when coaches are being punished for abusing players.

Kansas football coach Mark Mangino resigned last month amid allegations that he mistreated his players. Texas Tech football coach Mike Leach was fired in December after he was accused of forcing an injured player to stand in a dark shed. South Florida fired football coach Jim Leavitt on Friday, saying he grabbed a player by the throat, slapped him in the face and lied about it.

Pullen didn't believe Martin's moment was in the same category.

"I think people really looked at that wrong," Pullen said. "I don't think Frank really hit him like you would hit somebody if you wanted to fight them. He hit him as like 'Let's go.' Frank is an enthused person, he's emotional on the sidelines and that's why I think everybody came here to play for him, because we knew we had an emotional coach who would get out there just like we do."

Martin has never been accused of inappropriate behavior with his players and Kansas State athletic director John Currie didn't seem overly concerned after meeting with him and Merriewether following the team's return to Manhattan on Saturday night.

"Coach Martin clearly understands his contact with Chris at the end of the game was unacceptable, regardless of the emotion of the moment," Currie said in a statement. "I am proud of coach Martin for immediately apologizing and I expect that there will be no further such incidents."

Dottefan
01-10-2010, 09:06 AM
Kan`t State losses to MU...is this an issue? lol....Rock Chalk

WilliamTheIrish
01-10-2010, 10:01 AM
Kan`t State losses to MU...is this an issue? lol....Rock Chalk

Can you translate this from Dotte speak? ;)

Buehler445
01-10-2010, 11:17 AM
Man, it's rediculous that this is an issue. FFS, I've seen a shitload of high school football coaches grab their kids by the face mask and shake the shit out of them. Nobody cried, nobody quit, nobody got fired. This is rediculous.

Props to Martin and Meriweather for not making a big deal out of it. That isn't any good for college Basketball.
Posted via Mobile Device

Saul Good
01-10-2010, 02:02 PM
It's on the front page of Yahoo right now.

KChiefs1
01-10-2010, 02:50 PM
Given the age we are currently living in with Mangino, Leach & Leavitt all having been fired or let go for stuff that used to be a non-issue...it's an issue today.

I'm an old school guy so it's not an issue to me but for the politically correct liberal age we are currently living in....it will be.

WilliamTheIrish
01-10-2010, 03:39 PM
Firestorm!

Reerun_KC
01-11-2010, 02:41 PM
Better video from www.wibw.com (http://www.wibw.com)

http://wibw.videogenesis.net/watch?v=7280&ref=quadiframe

mikeyis4dcats.
01-11-2010, 03:02 PM
zzzzzzz.....

WilliamTheIrish
01-11-2010, 05:07 PM
"Makes me no nevermind"/ RR. (until phog says I should) LMAO

DeezNutz
01-11-2010, 05:11 PM
Martins says:

http://rlv.zcache.com/id_hit_it_tshirt-p2353769230391189133mjf_400.jpg

Saulbadguy