PDA

View Full Version : Other Sports *** FIFA 2010 ***

Pages : [1] 2

Spicy McHaggis
01-10-2010, 01:22 PM
A new year, a new thread for all the football fans who also enjoy that other sort of football. Should be a great one between the tightest Premier League race I can remember for a long while and that little tournament down in South Africa.

|Zach|
01-10-2010, 01:24 PM
http://emptybackfield.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/us-soccer.jpg

Spicy McHaggis
01-10-2010, 01:28 PM
http://soccernet-assets.espn.go.com/design05/images/2010/0108/landondonovanshirt20100107_275x155.jpg

Lando gets an assist in his first game with Everton off a beautiful corner. Watched the game at the bar and can say that Donovan looked completely in his class and even worried the Arsenal defense quite a bit. Great day for him.

Really looking forward to the Merseyside derby now and later watching Everton take on the Fulham Dempseys at Goodison.

|Zach|
01-10-2010, 01:30 PM
http://soccernet-assets.espn.go.com/design05/images/2010/0108/landondonovanshirt20100107_275x155.jpg

Lando gets an assist in his first game with Everton off a beautiful corner. Watched the game at the bar and can say that Donovan looked completely in his class and even worried the Arsenal defense quite a bit. Great day for him.

Really looking forward to the Merseyside derby now and later watching Everton take on the Fulham Dempseys at Goodison.

I didn't know he already played his first game. Awesome.

Spicy McHaggis
01-10-2010, 01:36 PM
I was pretty shocked too especially at the fact that he started. Thought they would give him at least another week to get integrated into the system and a little more fit.

DJJasonp
01-10-2010, 02:33 PM
the more american players to play in EPL the better!!!

Silock
01-10-2010, 11:19 PM
Donovan looked "okay." At times, he was great. But he didn't track back like Feilani did. I don't know how much of that was Moyes' instruction not to, but he seemed hesitant to take people on in the first half and didn't track back well the whole game. He straight schooled Traore, though.

Still, my gunners managed a lucky 2-2 draw, so I'll take it. Traore, though... yikes. I almost wanted Silvestre back there. Almost.

MMXcalibur
01-11-2010, 01:05 AM
I'll be back in here for the World Cup. Thank god that's coming this year as it eats up a lot of time between the end of hockey season and the start of football season.

Spicy McHaggis
01-15-2010, 04:51 PM
For those interested parties Everton v. Man City is on FSC at 11:30 am Central. The suspect at times defense of both sides could make it high scoring.

WoodDraw
01-21-2010, 09:28 PM
I was at Donovan's first game at Emirates. He played fairly well, and all the Everton fans seemed excited about it. The weather was awful, at least by England standards. That game was one of the few to actually get played that weekend. I didn't get to see his second game, but I heard he played well enough. All the Everton fans were chanting USA for Donovan and Howard quite a bit, so that was fun to be around.

Wa-Z
01-21-2010, 09:51 PM
I was at Donovan's first game at Emirates. He played fairly well, and all the Everton fans seemed excited about it. The weather was awful, at least by England standards. That game was one of the few to actually get played that weekend. I didn't get to see his second game, but I heard he played well enough. All the Everton fans were chanted USA for Donovan and Howard quite a bit, so that was fun to be around.

I'm jealous...how do you get to go to Emirates?

Silock
01-22-2010, 03:12 AM
I was at Donovan's first game at Emirates. He played fairly well, and all the Everton fans seemed excited about it. The weather was awful, at least by England standards. That game was one of the few to actually get played that weekend. I didn't get to see his second game, but I heard he played well enough. All the Everton fans were chanted USA for Donovan and Howard quite a bit, so that was fun to be around.

Donovan abused Traore. So glad to have Clichy back.

Speaking of back, Dempsey doesn't need surgery and should be back for Fulham (And the US) in May! SWEET!

Fritz88
01-22-2010, 05:19 AM
Very tight race indeed.

Spicy McHaggis
01-23-2010, 07:34 PM
Half an hour to the friendly kick off against Los Catrachos.

Obviously missing a lot of first choice players here, but I'm excited to see what the domestic and Scandinavian-based players can do.

My anticipated line up: Up top I hope Findley gets a chance to play off Casey. Although he's got less pace than Cunningham he won't get shouldered off the ball nearly as much and still has enough speed to make dangerous runs. Shame about Tracy getting a knock, I really wanted to see him.

In the midfield I'd think it would have to be Feilhaber, Rogers, Kliejstan and probably Beckerman. Defensively, Bobbo trots out old standby Captain Conrad paired with Goodson. Bornstein gets one spot outside. I hope Wynne gets the other, despite being victimized last time he was out there.

Silock
01-23-2010, 07:45 PM
Got it recording :)

Should be fun to watch. Cunningham is a much better choice than EJ.

stlchiefs
01-23-2010, 07:46 PM
Half an hour to the friendly kick off against Los Catrachos.

Obviously missing a lot of first choice players here, but I'm excited to see what the domestic and Scandinavian-based players can do.

My anticipated line up: Up top I hope Findley gets a chance to play off Casey. Although he's got less pace than Cunningham he won't get shouldered off the ball nearly as much and still has enough speed to make dangerous runs. Shame about Tracy getting a knock, I really wanted to see him.

In the midfield I'd think it would have to be Feilhaber, Rogers, Kliejstan and probably Beckerman. Defensively, Bobbo trots out old standby Captain Conrad paired with Goodson. Bornstein gets one spot outside. I hope Wynne gets the other, despite being victimized last time he was out there.

What channel?

Silock
01-23-2010, 07:56 PM
Fox Soccer Channel

Silock
01-23-2010, 10:54 PM

WTF?

WoodDraw
01-23-2010, 11:14 PM
Donovan abused Traore. So glad to have Clichy back.

Speaking of back, Dempsey doesn't need surgery and should be back for Fulham (And the US) in May! SWEET!

The entire game was shit. Almunia scares the shit out of me on a regular basis. Denilson was getting a ton of crap from the crowd, even after his equalizer. He gave half the balls he touched away. It was one of those games that was amazing to watch live, with the stoppage time equalizer to grab the draw. But if watching from home, you'd be throwing shit at the TV.

I didn't watch a minute of the friendly tonight. Camp Cupcake has never been big with me. Anything exciting happen?

Silock
01-23-2010, 11:29 PM
Nothing at all.

WoodDraw
01-23-2010, 11:48 PM
I'm jealous...how do you get to go to Emirates?

I was just over in Europe and wanted to see a game before I came back. It's really something every soccer fan should do once in their life. There is nothing like going to a big supporters pub before the match and then walking to the game together. Something about being in a sporting event without the cheezy music and constant stoppage between plays. It's all about the game - no one is drinking, or eating, or roaming around during the game. I got lucky and had good connections to Arsenal, so I just went through a friend to grab tickets and had no problem and great seats.

Amazing experience and well worth doing. Also recommended if you're over there - grab some tickets for a quality second division club or even a big lower division local club with a lot of support. I didn't get the chance to, but I had some friends who spent most of their trip watching games on all levels and loved it.

I said when I went to London I'd get my shit together, so I've officially become an Arsenal fan after spending a few weeks with all those guys. But the entire atmosphere is incredible. If you like football, or sports in general, well worth the money.

Wa-Z
01-24-2010, 03:17 AM
I was just over in Europe and wanted to see a game before I came back. It's really something every soccer fan should do once in their life. There is nothing like going to a big supporters pub before the match and then walking to the game together. Something about being in a sporting event without the cheezy music and constant stoppage between plays. It's all about the game - no one is drinking, or eating, or roaming around during the game. I got lucky and had good connections to Arsenal, so I just went through a friend to grab tickets and had no problem and great seats.

Amazing experience and well worth doing. Also recommended if you're over there - grab some tickets for a quality second division club or even a big lower division local club with a lot of support. I didn't get the chance to, but I had some friends who spent most of their trip watching games on all levels and loved it.

I said when I went to London I'd get my shit together, so I've officially become an Arsenal fan after spending a few weeks with all those guys. But the entire atmosphere is incredible. If you like football, or sports in general, well worth the money.

That sounds amazing. Ya, sports here are definitely plagued by mass commercialization...I mean when you have to have "commercial breaks" during a sporting event it takes a lot of the pureness out of the game, it's so annoying, kinda like pop-up ads or something.

carlos3652
01-24-2010, 08:49 AM
Does the US have any friendlies coming up - Argentina plays Costa Rica on the 26 without any European players (not a FIFA date) so it will be a wierd one... And wood I agree, never been to an epl match, but I've been to Boca Jrs matches in Argentina, and the only time I sat down was at halftime and most of the time I felt the stadium was going to collapse from everyone jumping... Best experiance ever for me.. And yes no drinking and eating during the games, just before and after ;)
Posted via Mobile Device

WoodDraw
01-24-2010, 10:24 AM
Does the US have any friendlies coming up - Argentina plays Costa Rica on the 26 without any European players (not a FIFA date) so it will be a wierd one... And wood I agree, never been to an epl match, but I've been to Boca Jrs matches in Argentina, and the only time I sat down was at halftime and most of the time I felt the stadium was going to collapse from everyone jumping... Best experiance ever for me.. And yes no drinking and eating during the games, just before and after ;)
Posted via Mobile Device

We play El Salvador next on February 24th and then the Netherlands on March 3rd in Europe. The only FIFA date left before the WC is March 3rd, so that February game will be shit I'm sure.

Spicy McHaggis
01-24-2010, 01:53 PM
I didn't watch a minute of the friendly tonight. Camp Cupcake has never been big with me. Anything exciting happen?

Team lacked cohesiveness. Conrad got sent off within the first 15 minutes on what was harsh call, but the foul was completely unnecessary FWIW. The play resulted in a PK as well. I was pissed simply because it obviously changed the formation of the US and I wanted to see a full functioning unit out there.

The only players who really stood out to me were Rogers and Bornstein who did a fairly good job covering in the back without much help. Wynne still lacks touch and any moves beyond trying to push the ball ahead and round someone purely with speed. The middle defense was needled with thru balls the entire first half.

The second half was a bit better as a whole but you didn't miss much.

WoodDraw
01-31-2010, 11:23 AM
Anyone watching Arsenal embarrass itself at home against United? That hurts any chance of winning the league. A draw against Aston Villa, a loss against United, and then Chelsea away and Liverpool home. Not a good start to an important series of games.

Spicy McHaggis
01-31-2010, 12:59 PM
Anyone watching Arsenal embarrass itself at home against United? That hurts any chance of winning the league. A draw against Aston Villa, a loss against United, and then Chelsea away and Liverpool home. Not a good start to an important series of games.

Rooney is on an absolute tear. I didn't get to watch this game but the guy is just in the zone right now.

As far as Arsenal, after that murder's row of games, they've got a very, very winnable March. If Liverpool can't win it (and small chance of that happening this year, just hoping to secure Champions League) then I definitely would rather see Arsenal at the top of the table than Chelski or Man U.

Spicy McHaggis
01-31-2010, 04:41 PM
Just watched it. If today's game was any indication, Dimitar "Wrong Side of the Net" Berbatov should remain parked in favor of Nani. The kid drew defenders off Rooney and allowed him to work.

WoodDraw
01-31-2010, 05:35 PM
Just watched it. If today's game was any indication, Dimitar "Wrong Side of the Net" Berbatov should remain parked in favor of Nani. The kid drew defenders off Rooney and allowed him to work.

Nani played a hell of a game. Van der Sar also looked good behind the net, especially compared to Almunia. The biggest problem was Arsenals inability to get a shot on goal for the first what, 60 minutes? That, and the backline falling asleep on a consistent basis. Arshavin did what he could, although he misfired a couple of shots too, and Fàbregas had his moments, but most the team looked like shit.

Spicy McHaggis
01-31-2010, 10:06 PM
In non-top 4 news, Jozy was beastly today for Hull. No goal but a great assist and drew a PK by shielding well in the box. And whispers of a possibly Chuck Deez return continue...

WoodDraw
01-31-2010, 10:32 PM
In non-top 4 news, Jozy was beastly today for Hull. No goal but a great assist and drew a PK by shielding well in the box. And whispers of a possibly Chuck Deez return continue...

I heard Jozy had a hell of a game. If we can get him some playing time now until the World Cup, that'd be great. If Davies could return to France, incredible...

There are also rumors leaking out that the USSF has organized a pre-world cup tournament to take place in the US the month before the WC with us and other decent but non WC teams. That would be a great warm up for us.

Also, more and more stories coming out about how awful SA has done with the world cup. You have to thing that really favors the UK and then the USA for '18 and '22. I can't believe after the coming SA disaster and the somewhat better Brazil '14 they won't have huge pressure to bring the game back to countries that can handle it.

Silock
01-31-2010, 11:12 PM
Fuck Denilson on Rooney's goal and fuck Clichy for sub-par defending on Nani's first.

Amazing... we lose when we outplay them at their place and lose at home when we still play DECENTLY and control a lot of possession.

Spicy McHaggis
02-06-2010, 02:26 PM
Over-the-top derby game this morning. Liverpool gets the win despite having 10 men for about 60 minutes, but the whole affair was more rugby than soccer. Donovan wasn't too involved, although he did abuse Insua once or twice on the wing and earned a couple free kicks in dangerous areas.

Jozy notches his first goal, just placed the ball perfectly after a lay-off from the other upman. Went on to beat City 2-1. Liverpool moves up to fourth with today's results but is looking at two really tough games at Emirates and Man City this coming week.

WoodDraw
02-06-2010, 10:01 PM
Over-the-top derby game this morning. Liverpool gets the win despite having 10 men for about 60 minutes, but the whole affair was more rugby than soccer. Donovan wasn't too involved, although he did abuse Insua once or twice on the wing and earned a couple free kicks in dangerous areas.

Jozy notches his first goal, just placed the ball perfectly after a lay-off from the other upman. Went on to beat City 2-1. Liverpool moves up to fourth with today's results but is looking at two really tough games at Emirates and Man City this coming week.

The Liverpool - Everton game was ugly. There could have been three legit red cards in the first 45. Donovan played okay - he drew two free kicks right outside the penalty area, but he also had a couple sloppy moments. Howard gave up a soft goal.

AustinChief
02-07-2010, 03:55 AM
drunk talk... but my TEAM.. Barca... (since I lived there in 2000) is the best in the world hands down... EPL WAS the best league but right now.. I would put La Liga up against EPL any day of the week... and yes Serie A and Bundisliga are crap right now.

Spicy McHaggis
02-07-2010, 11:43 AM
Howard gave up a soft goal.

While Neville should have known better, Howard really needed to take charge there. That's his area and to concede a header like that is inexcusable.

I agree that yesterday's game crossed the line. Both teams are lucky to get out without serious injury and it's a shame that I have to say something like that.

Spicy McHaggis
02-07-2010, 11:45 AM
drunk talk... but my TEAM.. Barca... (since I lived there in 2000) is the best in the world hands down... EPL WAS the best league but right now.. I would put La Liga up against EPL any day of the week... and yes Serie A and Bundisliga are crap right now.

Top to bottom I'd still put the EPL over La Liga although it really is kind of a 1a. 1b. thing. Barca is unreal though, storming their way without a care.

Silock
02-07-2010, 12:24 PM
FUCK. Arsene Wenger is really starting to piss me the hell off.

WoodDraw
02-07-2010, 12:56 PM
****. Arsene Wenger is really starting to piss me the hell off.

I only saw the second 45, but yeeeah. That about kills hope for the Premiership title. Arsenal needs to get it together just to protect its third place spot.

WoodDraw
02-10-2010, 04:03 PM
Some big games finishing up.

Arsenal finally has a day go there way, recovering against Liverpool and narrowing the points gap.

Donovan had another impressive game with Everton it seems. Set up one goal (cross or corner I think) and drew a penalty. You've gotta think that some team will make a play for him in the summer transfer window, no? It can't be too fun going back to MLS after playing in England.

United manages a draw despite going down 1-0 and playing with ten men. Jozy goes 90 for Hull, so that's good to see.

WoodDraw
02-11-2010, 03:19 PM
And to kick up the England-USA hype even more, Ashley Cole is out now with a broken ankle, sustained on a challenged from Landon Donovan.

And next in line as England's left back? Wayne Bridge.

LOLOL. Sometimes you can't even dream things up this good.

Fritz88
02-11-2010, 03:24 PM
And to kick up the England-USA hype even more, Ashley Cole is out now with a broken ankle, sustained on a challenged from Landon Donovan.

And next in line as England's left back? Wayne Bridge.

LOLOL. Sometimes you can't even dream things up this good.

wait a second, Cole is out for the WC?

Fritz88
02-11-2010, 03:26 PM
You ready for next week's UEFA games?

Can't wait for Bayern to blow everyone out of the water.

http://sportige.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/bayern-munich-home-07-08.jpg

WoodDraw
02-11-2010, 03:46 PM
wait a second, Cole is out for the WC?

Right now, they're saying three months. So he should be back, barring setbacks.

I forgot we have Champions league coming up. Who does everyone want to win and think will win?

Stuttgart vs. Barcelona
Olympiacos vs. Bordeaux
Inter vs. Chelsea
Bayern vs. Fiorentina
CSKA Moscow vs. Sevilla
Lyon vs. Real Madrid
Porto vs. Arsenal
Milan vs. Manchester United

Bolds are the teams I want, other than Milan vs. United, where I'm hoping for a nasty syphilis outbreak that grounds both teams.

UKMike
02-11-2010, 04:16 PM
Here's a pic from the away end at the arsenal-chelsea game at the weekend, don't think anybody was too disappointed to be honest, thought we played pretty well! There were flares at one point and the atmosphere was getting pretty good, shame we couldn't get a goal.

Spicy McHaggis
02-11-2010, 05:58 PM
Donovan had another impressive game with Everton it seems. Set up one goal (cross or corner I think) and drew a penalty. You've gotta think that some team will make a play for him in the summer transfer window, no? It can't be too fun going back to MLS after playing in England.

You got to think Everton is going to try to scrounge up the cash to make the move permanent. From the sample size we've got, it really seems to be a great match. Everton's close knit, almost familial in nature, and Donovan seems to fit what Moyes wants to do. It's a class club (and this is coming from a Liverpool fan) but doesn't seem to be under the CONSTANT scrutiny that the Big 4 are. Make Lando a Toffee for good and both sides win.

Silock
02-11-2010, 06:00 PM
Donovan won't go back to MLS. That would be so stupid.

WoodDraw
02-11-2010, 06:22 PM
Donovan won't go back to MLS. That would be so stupid.

I bet he'll go back at the end of the loan, and then transfer in the summer window. Without an option to buy, I don't know why Everton would waste the money to extend the loan while they're competing for shit. They'll wait until summer.

What will MLS want though? I don't think they'll hold Donovan hostage, but they'll want $10 million+ I'm sure.

Silock
02-11-2010, 11:28 PM
There's still Europa league.

WoodDraw
02-12-2010, 12:04 AM
There's still Europa league.

Do you see that happening? I don't see them overcoming Liverpool, City, Spurs, and Villa. If in another month they are close than maybe they'll extend the loan. But I bet they'll be stuck in Premiership hell, out of range of UEFA play and clear of relegation.

That's not a bad place to be though, given where they were earlier this year. Save the money and bring him over in summer.

Silock
02-12-2010, 08:59 AM
Do you see that happening? I don't see them overcoming Liverpool, City, Spurs, and Villa. If in another month they are close than maybe they'll extend the loan. But I bet they'll be stuck in Premiership hell, out of range of UEFA play and clear of relegation.

That's not a bad place to be though, given where they were earlier this year. Save the money and bring him over in summer.

You never know. City has lost more games under Mancini than they did under Hughes, Villa is an unknown, and Spurs, well, are Spurs. Liverpool... I don't know what's going on with them.

WoodDraw
02-12-2010, 06:09 PM
You never know. City has lost more games under Mancini than they did under Hughes, Villa is an unknown, and Spurs, well, are Spurs. Liverpool... I don't know what's going on with them.

I guess, and one of those teams will grab the fourth Champions League spot. I haven't obtained the advanced doctorate level needed to figure out how many qualification slots England gets to Europa either, but it better be more than one for Everton's hopes.

Silock
02-12-2010, 07:49 PM
I think England will still get two. They have the highest rated league AFAIK.

WoodDraw
02-16-2010, 06:24 PM
Any one watch the Champions league games today?

I sat next to a United fan today who reminded why I hate American United fans (who are quite distinct from English United fans). So I left quickly after half time and missed all the good stuff. Rooney is a hell of a player though, god hate him.

And Real Madrid, seriously? Again?

Silock
02-16-2010, 06:26 PM
I hate Rooney. I hated him before because of the hype and he wasn't good enough. He's finally living up to the hype, though. Now I hate him simply because he plays for United.

WoodDraw
02-17-2010, 03:03 PM
I think when I was around 6 my soccer coach told me to play goalie. I didn't really know how to and no one ever got a shot on goal anyway, so I eventually just sat down and played in the grass.

That's the last goal keeping performance I can think of that compares to this.

Silock
02-17-2010, 05:31 PM
FABIANSKI SUCKS.

FUCK.

FUCKFUCKFUCK.

Arsene Wenger can kiss my ass. We're going to get bounced out of the CL (maybe not this round, but certainly the next), lose the EPL, and lose Cesc this summer.

WoodDraw
02-18-2010, 12:41 AM
Arsenal needs to spend some money during the next transfer period. And if Cesc leaves as expected, I guess they'll have the money.

I don't know who to target as keeper, but there has to be someone. I've bitched about Almunia before, but today was hilarious. When your captain makes fun of the defense, well...

Part of the trouble does come down to Arsene and company. Fabianski hasn't played much in years, so he has zero confidence coming into a Champions League game. Why was he never loaned out? And why has nothing else been done to patch up Arsenals extensive holes?

You'd love to blame all the game on goalkeeping - and seriously, it was historically awful - but Clichy fucked up on the first goal and the entire team fucked up on the second. A true team effort

Silock
02-18-2010, 01:02 AM
Clichy and Sagna need to go. We need someone to supplement Gallas and TV5. They've actually been quite good in the center D, but they need someone else in the rotation. Djourou might be that guy, but he was injured this year. Also, not running a 4-4-2 doesn't keep Song in the true DM role that would prevent a lot of the defensive breakdowns. We need Song and Cesc in the middle, Nasri and Arshavin on the wings and RvP/new striker and Chamakh/Bendtner up top. A new keeper, two new strikers, a left back (Gibbs, preferably) and a new right back (Eboue is decent enough in the attack that he's an option, because if we're not going to use the RB to actually defend, it would be nice to have one that's that good on the offensive side).

UKMike
02-18-2010, 03:34 AM
Without the two goalkeeping cock ups and with a correct penalty decision arsenal probably win the game 2-0, that's how it goes, no need to panic.

Clichy and Sagna are both in poor form but there still better than the majority of other options(gibbs should get a chance if he wasn't injured).

Also I actually think I'd rather have Vermaelen and Campbell at center back than Gallas. Gallas causes far more problems than he solves. I thought campbell was excellent last night.

Fritz88
02-18-2010, 05:05 AM
WTF was up with Bayren's coach last night? Why was he only attacking from the wings instead of the middle? He had schweinsteiger supporting the D almost the entire game.

Lucky we made it even though the second goal was a clear offside :)

Silock
02-18-2010, 10:44 AM
Without the two goalkeeping cock ups and with a correct penalty decision arsenal probably win the game 2-0, that's how it goes, no need to panic.

Clichy and Sagna are both in poor form but there still better than the majority of other options(gibbs should get a chance if he wasn't injured).

Also I actually think I'd rather have Vermaelen and Campbell at center back than Gallas. Gallas causes far more problems than he solves. I thought campbell was excellent last night.

He was good, but against an EPL side, he's too slow.

UKMike
02-18-2010, 11:22 AM
He was good, but against an EPL side, he's too slow.

He is no slower than many other decent center backs in the league. Gallas has no idea how to defend the majority of situations and relies on pace to get him out of trouble all the time. I'm tired of seeing him back off until a nothing situation has turned into a goal scoring chance. Add to the fact that he seems to be the cause of all the trouble off the field in the team then I don't really care to see him stick around.

Also, I think some people might want to get used to the idea that when/if Fabregas goes, his replacement is Ramsey.

Spicy McHaggis
02-18-2010, 11:58 AM
USMNT added a couple friendlies at the end of May against the Czech Rep. and Turkey (Hiddink-less until August). Good quality opponents to measure against, especially a physical side like the Czechs. I imagine these games are what became of the rumored "mini-tournament".

Hopefully the El Salvador game next week goes a little smoother than the Honduras friendly. Oh, and a side note to the same date: FIFA 10 apparently is releasing their big post transfer period update.

Silock
02-18-2010, 12:37 PM
He is no slower than many other decent center backs in the league. Gallas has no idea how to defend the majority of situations and relies on pace to get him out of trouble all the time. I'm tired of seeing him back off until a nothing situation has turned into a goal scoring chance. Add to the fact that he seems to be the cause of all the trouble off the field in the team then I don't really care to see him stick around.

Also, I think some people might want to get used to the idea that when/if Fabregas goes, his replacement is Ramsey.

Wilshere is a much better prospect than Ramsey, but I like both of them a lot.

Sol is slow enough that we'll never have a top defense with him. We've conceded the most goals out of all the top 4 sides, with about the same number of goals scored. Something has to change. I'm not satisfied with Gallas, but IMO, he's miles better than Sol.

UKMike
02-18-2010, 01:00 PM
Wilshere is a much better prospect than Ramsey, but I like both of them a lot.

Sol is slow enough that we'll never have a top defense with him. We've conceded the most goals out of all the top 4 sides, with about the same number of goals scored. Something has to change. I'm not satisfied with Gallas, but IMO, he's miles better than Sol.

Wilshere is a winger, Ramsey plays a creative holding role akin to Fabregas.

Sol has played no part in that worst defence, gallas has played almost every game.

WoodDraw
02-18-2010, 02:19 PM

That's fine. I'm not sure why you'd blow the money when you have a good inhouse replacement anyway.

We've got to find a keeper somewhere. I doubt they'll spend big (and who would they spend big on), but some decent stopgap. Sorensen maybe? Or someone similar.

Chamakh will be in on a free. That will help up front.

Get rid of the trash. Almunia out, Denilson out.

And then bring in a quality CB and a MF.

Silock
02-18-2010, 02:25 PM
Wilshere is a winger, Ramsey plays a creative holding role akin to Fabregas.

Sol has played no part in that worst defence, gallas has played almost every game.

Wilshere plays awesome through the middle. Did you watch any of the FA cup? He was brilliant in the middle. That's where Arsene said he sees him excelling, even though he may play outside at times. Ramsey reminds me of Denilson too much right now, but his potential is much, much higher.

Gallas may have played a part in the worst defense, but it's hardly all his fault. Much of the problem comes from the lack of a true DM and bad defensive play by the outside backs.

Silock
02-18-2010, 02:27 PM
That's fine. I'm not sure why you'd blow the money when you have a good inhouse replacement anyway.

We've got to find a keeper somewhere. I doubt they'll spend big (and who would they spend big on), but some decent stopgap. Sorensen maybe? Or someone similar.

Chamakh will be in on a free. That will help up front.

Get rid of the trash. Almunia out, Denilson out.

And then bring in a quality CD and a MF.

We have to remember that Djourou will be back next year, and he's a fine CB. I don't think we'll see any new CB come in.

We need to get rid of RvP, Walcott, Clichy, Denilson and Rosicky, as much as it pains me to say. If you can't stay healthy for a majority of the season, you're no good to us. Vela hasn't lived up to expectations, either, but at least it's not through injury.

cj2wr
02-18-2010, 02:30 PM
Looks like Davies will be ready for the World Cup... Great News..

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/world-cup/story/_/id/4924871/ce/us/us-team-forward-charlie-davies-back-french-club-sochaux?cc=5901&ver=us

WoodDraw
02-18-2010, 02:53 PM
We have to remember that Djourou will be back next year, and he's a fine CB. I don't think we'll see any new CB come in.

We need to get rid of RvP, Walcott, Clichy, Denilson and Rosicky, as much as it pains me to say. If you can't stay healthy for a majority of the season, you're no good to us. Vela hasn't lived up to expectations, either, but at least it's not through injury.

Gallas is what, 32 now though? And not even under contract.

I'm not talking about a starter, though. Maybe Subotic? Someone that can play behind Gallas and eventually take over a few years down the line.

Wenger's not going to bring in someone to replace anyone at CB right now. Just not his style. But we'll need some more depth, even with Djourou back.

WoodDraw
02-18-2010, 02:57 PM
Looks like Davies will be ready for the World Cup... Great News..

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/world-cup/story/_/id/4924871/ce/us/us-team-forward-charlie-davies-back-french-club-sochaux?cc=5901&ver=us

He needs to get in game shape and get back on the field in France. By no means a sure thing, and he could still have setbacks as he starts training again. Good progress though.

Silock
02-18-2010, 03:01 PM

I'm not talking about a starter, though. Maybe Subotic? Someone that can play behind Gallas and eventually take over a few years down the line.

Wenger's not going to bring in someone to replace anyone at CB right now. Just not his style. But we'll need some more depth, even with Djourou back.

Subotic would be nice, but I don't see it happening, especially since it didn't happen this summer. Gallas is 32, yes, but he's still physically got it. Much more so than Sol Campbell. I think if we could switch back to a true 4-4-2 and put Song at a true DM position, the defense would vastly improve through the middle, even with Gallas there. But a healthy Djourou allows more rotation between Sol, Gallas, TV5 and him.

WoodDraw
02-18-2010, 03:10 PM
Also, assuming we do sign Gallas and Campbell for next year. That'd be two CBs over 30, Vermaelen, and someone coming off a lost season. Unless someone younger is ready to be promoted (Bartley? I don't know), we'll need depth.

I don't see us buying at LB. Clichy has been in bad form, but he's arguably not fully fit yet either. With Gibbs there too, Arsene won't give up on Clichy yet.

We do badly need a DM.

Silock
02-18-2010, 03:35 PM
We don't need to buy at LB. Gibbs is good enough. Clichy has lost a step, and was never an offensive threat. Gibbs is faster, can't be worse at defending, and is a much bigger offensive threat. Traore can back him up.

Spicy McHaggis
02-18-2010, 05:25 PM

I'm not talking about a starter, though. Maybe Subotic? Someone that can play behind Gallas and eventually take over a few years down the line..

Subotic would be a great signing for the Gunners. Pains me that he won't be suiting up for the US in SA though.

WoodDraw
02-18-2010, 05:43 PM
Subotic would be a great signing for the Gunners. Pains me that he won't be suiting up for the US in SA though.

Pft, like we could use CB depth right now. Oh, wait.

Who fucked that up for us again?

WoodDraw
02-23-2010, 01:14 PM
Anyone watching CL on Fox Sports getting sound roughly as good as your average walkie talkie?

Spicy McHaggis
02-24-2010, 08:36 AM
Friendly against El Salvador tonight on ESPN classic at 6 central. The entire roster is domestic based + one Clarence Goodson. Still looking for that squad depth.

My starters (who I think Bradley will play):

Defense: Bornstein, Goodson, Marshall, Cameron

Bobbo only has 5 "true" defenders in camp. And two of them are Heath Pearce and Marvell Wynne. Pearce gets exposed at higher levels of national competition and Wynne, well, he gets exposed at any level of national competition. I'd like to see the versatile Cameron (who has played both midfield, defense and even forward) get a shot here. Brad Evans has played back before as well.

Midfield: Rogers, Beckerman, Kljestan, Gaven

Rogers continues on his path to being a poor man's Stu Holden and while I'm not crazy about the Beckerman/Kljestan center pairing (absolutely no cohesion in the Hondu game), I think Bradley opts for it. Gaven is just a gut feeling, though I could see Brad Davis out there as well. I'd like Pontius to get in on a sub.

Forward: Findley, Ching

If Bradley wants to give Ching a last look, this is the time to do it.

WoodDraw
02-24-2010, 11:36 AM
Rumor has it that MLS teams have begun the strike vote. I wonder if Bradley will keep camp open to keep the MLS World Cup hopefuls in shape. Now's not the time to not be playing.

WoodDraw
02-24-2010, 05:50 PM
----------------Casey--------Findley----------------

Davis---------Beckerman---Kljestan-------Rogers

Pearce--------Bornstein-----Goodson-------Evans

------------------------Rimando----------------------

Whatever. Bornstein in center is a bit odd. Rimando who?

Bring on the Netherlands and the return of Euro players.

Also, our U17s just beat Mexico 4-1, but two Mexicans got red carded late for throwing a punch and kicking a ball into a down player. Good to see both organizations drilling in their philosophies at a young age.

WoodDraw
02-24-2010, 07:30 PM
There was a nice header from Evans. Wrong team, but a nice set up no less.

Spicy McHaggis
02-24-2010, 10:05 PM
US dominated the game. I mean, if they had finished more often the score would have been 11-1 at halftime.

Ball was knocked around at a decent rate and it seemed touch was on tonight for the most part. It was against El Salvador but the guys showed well overall. Kljestan convinces Bradley to keep him on yet again (I don't dislike the guy but I want some sort of consistency). Findley showed pace, Ching showed he can still do what he always did, hold the ball up and knock in the occasional goal.

Spicy McHaggis
02-24-2010, 10:06 PM
Also, our U17s just beat Mexico 4-1, but two Mexicans got red carded late for throwing a punch and kicking a ball into a down player..

Classy.

WoodDraw
02-24-2010, 10:17 PM
With games like this I don't pay much attention to group performance. It's nice that we won, but it's still a B/C team friendly against El Salvador. Better to look at the few non-irrelevant players.

Kljestan, Pearce, and Ching all improved there stock. I don't know that Kljestan can work his way back into a crazy crowded midfield, and I'm not sure I wanted to, but he can't get the boot now. Pearce showed good form. Ching goes a long ways towards securing one of the not striker slots.

I thought Rogers played very poorly. These games are always brutal to watch because of the piss poor finishing and general poor touch. So long camp cupcake and enjoy the MLS season - I hear there are a lot of tickets left to SA if you want to come and watch a game.

Spicy McHaggis
02-25-2010, 11:04 AM
With games like this I don't pay much attention to group performance. It's nice that we won, but it's still a B/C team friendly against El Salvador. Better to look at the few non-irrelevant players.

Kljestan, Pearce, and Ching all improved there stock. I don't know that Kljestan can work his way back into a crazy crowded midfield, and I'm not sure I wanted to, but he can't get the boot now. Pearce showed good form. Ching goes a long ways towards securing one of the not striker slots.

I thought Rogers played very poorly. These games are always brutal to watch because of the piss poor finishing and general poor touch. So long camp cupcake and enjoy the MLS season - I hear there are a lot of tickets left to SA if you want to come and watch a game.

I agree with you on the winning/losing aspect. The scoreline carries very little meaning to me in these "search for depth" friendlies.

Pearce looked good coming forward, beating his man several times and getting the ball across (one inside/out move was simply nasty). I still remember his sub par performances over the last year, but maybe he's rounding back into form. I don't get to see FC Dallas play much, so of late I haven't had a lot of looks at him beyond the national appearances.

Rogers played immaturely, plain and simple. He looked like a guy out for himself last night and it ended up hurting his chances. I'm really disappointed with his showing.

SPATCH
02-25-2010, 12:43 PM
I agree with you on the winning/losing aspect. The scoreline carries very little meaning to me in these "search for depth" friendlies.

Pearce looked good coming forward, beating his man several times and getting the ball across (one inside/out move was simply nasty). I still remember his sub par performances over the last year, but maybe he's rounding back into form. I don't get to see FC Dallas play much, so of late I haven't had a lot of looks at him beyond the national appearances.

Rogers played immaturely, plain and simple. He looked like a guy out for himself last night and it ended up hurting his chances. I'm really disappointed with his showing.

Seems like Pearce always looks pretty good against the minnows of the CONCACAF... I wouldn't mind seeing him on the 23-man roster, but I don't think he can hack it against top-level international competition.

Anybody ready to give Beasley another try at LB at full health (assuming Dempsey will be at LM)??

I'd like to see this back line (assuming full health):

Beasley - Onyewu - Boca/DeMerit - Spector

or I'd be cool w/

Spector - Onyewu - Boca/Demerit - Cherundolo

Bornstein and Pearce are adequate, but I think we can do better

WoodDraw
02-25-2010, 02:38 PM
http://www.soccerbyives.net/.a/6a00e54ef2975b883301310f3ad7a9970c-320pi

I'd invite Beasley into camp but no way I experiment with him at LB. He never plays there for club and only once for country.

We'll get a better idea within the hour of what Bradley is thinking as we get the next roster.

Fritz88
02-25-2010, 02:41 PM
I fucking hate Ibrahimovic.

WoodDraw
02-25-2010, 03:21 PM
Roster announced: http://www.ussoccer.com/News/Mens-National-Team/2010/02/Bradley-Announces-Roster-to-Face-the-Netherlands-on-March-3.aspx

SPATCH
02-25-2010, 05:18 PM
Roster announced: http://www.ussoccer.com/News/Mens-National-Team/2010/02/Bradley-Announces-Roster-to-Face-the-Netherlands-on-March-3.aspx

EJ!!!!!!

I still have a major soft spot for him from his days in KC...

Spicy McHaggis
02-26-2010, 06:13 PM
I'm excited. Finally get another look at Edu after injury concerns. Bedoya gets a call, interesting. I don't think he's a legitimate WC canidate for this year but I liked the flashes I saw at Camp Cupcake. Hopefully, Paco Torres gets some time too, I like his composure and on the ball ability.

And Skrtel goes down with a broken foot. Liverpool can't seem to catch a break. Hopefully, Fernando Torres comes back with a vengeance.

Silock
02-26-2010, 06:21 PM
I'D RATHER WALK ALONE.

LOL @ Pool

the Talking Can
02-27-2010, 08:36 AM
so i don't know if the games are actually live, but i'm starting to love the early saturday premier league games on espn 2

man city up 3-1 over chelsea where i guess they haven't scored a goal in 5 years

ballack got red carded for a super cowardly tackle-from-behind on Tevez in the last ten minutes...announcer sounded disgusted

right now chelsea only has 9 players and man city scores again making it 4-1 with 2 mins left...

i'd like to catch a game with donovan's team sometime

UKMike
02-27-2010, 08:47 AM
If Arsenal win tonight, right back in it!

We won't though.

WoodDraw
02-27-2010, 12:26 PM
so i don't know if the games are actually live, but i'm starting to love the early saturday premier league games on espn 2

man city up 3-1 over chelsea where i guess they haven't scored a goal in 5 years

ballack got red carded for a super cowardly tackle-from-behind on Tevez in the last ten minutes...announcer sounded disgusted

right now chelsea only has 9 players and man city scores again making it 4-1 with 2 mins left...

i'd like to catch a game with donovan's team sometime

Yes, they're live. What a crazy game - one of the best of the season. "Russia nil, Abu Dhabi 1" LOL

I fucking hate watching Stoke games. Arsenal has finally upped the tempo, but there's nothing more boring than watching Stoke win throw ins and take 45 seconds to restart play as Delap wipes down the ball and brings everyone forward.

WoodDraw
02-27-2010, 12:57 PM
Mother fucker. What an awful challenge.

the Talking Can
02-27-2010, 01:03 PM
Yes, they're live. What a crazy game - one of the best of the season. "Russia nil, Abu Dhabi 1" LOL

I ****ing hate watching Stoke games. Arsenal has finally upped the tempo, but there's nothing more boring than watching Stoke win throw ins and take 45 seconds to restart play as Delap wipes down the ball and brings everyone forward.

heh...i'm pretty much a noob to the premier league and international soccer in general...but the skill level and general sense of dislike in the stadiums is excellent...i know the big name players, but have no sense of the styles, history and back story of various teams as i do for the nfl or college..

WoodDraw
02-27-2010, 01:07 PM
Ramsey leaves the stadium in an ambulance. Shawcross walked off crying after being showed an immediate red. That should tell you everything about the challenge.

This game has died...

WoodDraw
02-27-2010, 01:20 PM
Hell yes! Now let's end this game.

WoodDraw
02-27-2010, 01:37 PM
Uhm, I don't know whether to post this or not, but here is a picture of Ramsey's injury. Don't click if you are squeamish.

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2010/02/27/article-1254204-087F7263000005DC-995_468x454.jpg

I hope he can make it back.

Silock
02-27-2010, 07:42 PM
Yeah, he's done. Eduardo hasn't been the same since his, and Ramsey won't be, either.

CAN'T GET RID OF CESC. It's imperative that we keep him now. Fuck, that sucks so hard :(

Jerm
02-27-2010, 07:49 PM
Fuck you Ryan Shawcross...you thug piece of shit. This isn't the first time he's done this shit.

Its simple...you want to end this shit....start banning these thug morons for 15 or 20 games instead of 3.

I bet you we'd stop seeing idiots flying in recklessly and without regard.

Great result nonetheless...this is the turning point, the injury and the result.

Silock
02-27-2010, 07:57 PM
I don't think it was a reckless challenge. It was certainly hard, but they both went in badly. Ramsey just got the worst of it. That's not to say that teams aren't TRYING to do that against us, because it's obvious they are. I just don't think it was in that particular situation.

WoodDraw
02-27-2010, 08:11 PM
I don't think it was a reckless challenge. It was certainly hard, but they both went in badly. Ramsey just got the worst of it. That's not to say that teams aren't TRYING to do that against us, because it's obvious they are. I just don't think it was in that particular situation.

I disagree. He went in hard and he went in late. And if he won, what was he trying to do? Kick the ball into the ocean? That's about where it would have ended up.

I think his actions afterwards showed that he knew he ****ed up. The less talented teams always play this shit against Arsenal, with the media and coach's blessing. When players think they are getting screwed, they don't walk off crying. See Taylor when he broke Eduardo's leg.

Jerm
02-27-2010, 08:13 PM
Exactly.

Why the fuck was he going in like a marauding fool on a 50/50 at the CENTER CIRCLE of all places?

Jesus.

Like I said, isn't the first time for this idiot...see Adebaywhore last season and Francis Jeffers.

Silock
02-27-2010, 08:52 PM
I've watched it a few times in slowmo and it still looks 50-50 to me.

WoodDraw
02-27-2010, 09:14 PM
I've watched it a few times in slowmo and it still looks 50-50 to me.

It's a 50-50 ball, but Ramsey gets a quick touch on it while Shawcross plants and takes a goalkick swing right into Ramsey's leg. It's not going for the ball that I disagree with, but the nature of the challenge. You can still have recklessness without intent.

Silock
02-27-2010, 09:21 PM
I agree with that part. I'm just saying it's not Martin Taylor bad. Tackles exactly like that happen all the time, but they rarely result in horrific injuries like that.

WoodDraw
02-27-2010, 09:32 PM
I think people would be more considerate if there hadn't been so much talk for years on beating Arsenal by kicking them off the field. When the entire game plan of the lower table involves being physical and Arsenal ends up with three broken legs in five years, people get pissed.

I don't want to start a Shawcross witch hunt. It was a shit challenge, and a red card offense. But I bet you can look through tapes and find examples of that being called a foul. That's kind of my point. England likes to say the league is physical, and I can't count the amount of times I've heard a commentator say, "That wouldn't even be a foul in the Premier League." But this is what happens when you let everything go until someone breaks a leg.

[edit]

And I should say it's not just Arsenal. The entire Merseyside derby was horrendous, with at least two clear red card offenses that I can recall going uncalled. But, now an incredibly promising 19-year-old might have had his career ruined. How many times does this need to happen until being a physical league no longer is something to brag about?

Silock
02-27-2010, 10:29 PM
I agree 100%. The policy of roughing up Arsenal to beat them is seriously getting on my fucking nerves. It's cost us 3 players in 5 years, and countless other injury problems.

WoodDraw
02-27-2010, 11:04 PM
These types of injuries are just so brutal to watch. Both teams immediately have that oh shit face. We see so many players wiggle around on the ground just to get up and play 5 minutes later, but when it's bad you immediately know. Just watch the faces of everyone. It's the same as the Eduardo situation. Everyone immediately thinks they might have just seen the last game that player will ever be in. So awful.

I will give Shawcross credit for being class after the injury. He was obviously horrified at what had happened, and walked off without incident.

Silock
02-28-2010, 06:44 AM
http://link.brightcove.com/services/player/bcpid29318049001?bctid=69028439001

Classy comments from Pulis, I thought.

WoodDraw
03-01-2010, 07:29 PM
http://www.oleole.com/blogs/arseblog/posts/quothe039s-not-that-kind-of-playerquot

That's a great sum up of what I think about what happened.

Silock
03-01-2010, 07:58 PM
http://www.oleole.com/blogs/arseblog/posts/quothe039s-not-that-kind-of-playerquot

That's a great sum up of what I think about what happened.

Pretty good assessment.

WoodDraw
03-03-2010, 01:05 AM
I don't know about everyone else, but I'm excited to get our A team back out on the field. Or as close as we can get to it.

-Altidore-EJ
-Donovan-Bradley-Edu-Holden
-Bornstein-Boca-Demerit-Spectory

That's what I want to see. Some notes:

1) I see Findley as WC irrelevant. And in this game, I'd rather have Ching. I understand why he wasn't called, but I hope EJ and Findley both don't find the field in the WC unless they both show something special, the games don't matter, or desperation sets in.

2) I think, if we get some injured players back, we should consider playing a fluid 4-5-1 instead of throwing some shit striker up with Altidore. Not for this game, obviously. I hate bunkering as much as the next buy, but we could play a 4-2-3-1 for the most part, with Edu and Clark playing back. Let Bradley move forward, and Donovan and Dempsey do whatever they want. Altidore might be a bit lost in this formation though.

I don't know that we have the technical ability there yet, but we're getting close.

Silock
03-03-2010, 02:17 AM
Fuck EJ. I'd rather see Findley. But Davies should be back anyway.

WoodDraw
03-03-2010, 12:59 PM
lineup: Howard; Spector, DeMerit, Bocanegra, Bornstein; Holden, Torres, Bradley, Donovan; Altidore, Findley

I'm cool with it. I'd like to see 45' subs for Torres (Edu) and Findley (EJ).

ESPN 2 in 30 min, for those interested.

WoodDraw
03-03-2010, 02:21 PM
Not even a yellow? ****ing christ. I hope this ref gets his leg broken.

[Edit so I don't keep bumping]

Shit half for Findley and Bornstein. The ref has also been too busy offering the Dutch quick hand jobs to call the game anywhere approaching 'decent'.

We've had a couple decent strings of possession until some players freaks and hoofs the ball to the moon.

Donovan? Feel free to step onto the pitch at some point.

loochy
03-03-2010, 03:26 PM
Dear Jonathan Bornstein,

Thank you for two goals.

Sincerely,

The Netherlands

cj2wr
03-03-2010, 03:53 PM
Bornstein sucks

WoodDraw
03-03-2010, 04:20 PM
Well, 2-1 against one of the best teams in the world at their home. I won't complain too much.

The defense needs to get sorted out. DeMerit played very well, and I didn't notice anything bad about Bocanegra. Spector got turned a couple times, but that's to be expected against the Dutch. Overall, he was solid on defense but weak moving forward.

Bornstein. Well, sometimes it's not your day. I don't know what to do. Bradley will have to watch his form and see. Spector might have to move left.

If Davies isn't healthy, no one other than Dempsey or Donovan should start up top with Jozy. Ching can come in and be useful, but he's not the starter. And no doubt about it, we miss Davies.

Bedoya who? He looked good. Welcome to national team. Might be too late for SA though. Beasley looked good, with great pace. Nice from Edu. Bradley looked very good.

That ref was pure shit, especially in the first half. I hope Holden is ok, but that challenge was awful and red card material. Late, over the ball, and right into the shin.

Silock
03-03-2010, 07:49 PM
Fucking diving pussies. Seriously. What the fuck?? De Jong just fell over and drew a foul from Beasley, who was 1v1 with the goalie. Beasley DIDN'T EVEN TOUCH HIM. WTF???

Plus a bunch of bullshit fouls. I understand wanting to protect players because it's just a friendly, but come the fuck on. Stu gets taken out late, and doesn't even draw a card?? They were certainly obviously biased against the US as far as calls go, but the Netherlands were the ones committing all the bad challenges. Bunch of fucking bullshit. Good stuff in the last 10 for us, though. Good showing and looked dangerous.

Fuck Bornstein. That dude sucks ass. I thought Jose Torres did really well. EJ looked better than Findley, which was surprising.

WoodDraw
03-03-2010, 08:12 PM
I'm kicking the shit out of a dead horse here, but our biggest problem remains fluid ball movement. I know we're not going to turn into Spain, Brazil, or even the Netherlands here, but can we PLEASE stop booting the ball straight towards the other team's MF half the time we clear.

Our defense panics under pressure far too much. When they gain possession, they too often result to hoofing the ball to nowhere when they could easily dribble out of pressure and pass through the MF.

We've gotten better, no doubt. We had some decent possession time, too often ruined by some overwhelmed player shiting the ball away.

We missed Davies, Onyewu, and Dempsey even more than I thought we would. Quick recoveries to all!

Findley did fine until he got the ball, and then he looked lost. He's just not ready for this cycle. EJ was EJ. Too slow with the ball, with nothing amazing off it. Not bad, but not SA worthy. I'd leave both of them at home in favor of bring other MFers. We can slot Dempsey and Donovan up front if needed. Those two don't bring shit.

The Netherlands was going to be one of my teams to cheer for outside the US, but fuck them now. De Jong's tackles were completely unacceptable for a match game, let a lone a WC friendly tune up. If that was one of our players going in on one of theirs, he'd be mobbed right now. Complete BS.

Silock
03-03-2010, 10:14 PM
Yeah, fuck Netherlands. They were playing way too aggressively for a friendly.

WoodDraw
03-04-2010, 11:11 PM
So Holden fractured his leg.

Fuck you De Jong. Die in a fire, especially after your unapologetic post game interview.

stlchiefs
03-04-2010, 11:28 PM
So Holden fractured his leg.

**** you De Jong. Die in a fire, especially after your unapologetic post game interview.

NO WAY! That was a questionable tackle and a terrible non-call, but this is just insult to injury here in a pre-WC friendly. What part of WC warmup did DeJong miss? douche.

WoodDraw
03-10-2010, 03:31 PM
United has been chanting against Glazer for almost this entire game. He's really managed to piss that fan base off. Hope he doesn't plan on attending a game anytime soon.

WoodDraw
03-14-2010, 08:27 PM
http://voices.washingtonpost.com/soccerinsider/2010/03/beckhams_career_in_jeopardy.html

Beckham, out. I feel sorry for him. He put everything behind trying to make the WC squad. Obviously a player that takes a lot of pride in playing for his NT. I wonder if he might move towards ending his career now and becoming an owner.

Spicy McHaggis
03-14-2010, 09:03 PM
I actually kinda feel for the guy too if only because I know it would kill me to be that close to another cup and miss it because of injury.

Deuce is back at least and as discussed above, looking more and more like the guy to pair up top with Jozy.

And fuck the Dutch for that shit tackle on Holden. At least DeMerit showed he's back in business.

WoodDraw
03-15-2010, 01:19 AM
I actually kinda feel for the guy too if only because I know it would kill me to be that close to another cup and miss it because of injury.

Deuce is back at least and as discussed above, looking more and more like the guy to pair up top with Jozy.

And **** the Dutch for that shit tackle on Holden. At least DeMerit showed he's back in business.

The guy is a legend, putting aside his tabloid career. At least he'll have the ability to retire from international play now, instead of being forced out by a manager.

He has to be devastated though, and I wonder if he'll retire and take on his ownership role in MLS and perhaps join the Red Knights. He has nothing left to prove, and nothing left to play for. I can't believe he'll want to toil around with the Galaxy.

WoodDraw
03-21-2010, 10:28 PM
Just wanted to bump this to say that we're in for a hell of a finish. Not only among the top three, but with the fourth place CL sport.

Also, Messi is incredible. He has the chance to be one of the best ever. I can't wait for the Arsenal-Barca games. That will be must see viewing for any true soccer fan.

Spicy McHaggis
03-21-2010, 11:01 PM
Just wanted to bump this to say that we're in for a hell of a finish. Not only among the top three, but with the fourth place CL sport.

Also, Messi is incredible. He has the chance to be one of the best ever. I can't wait for the Arsenal-Barca games. That will be must see viewing for any true soccer fan.

He is on an absolute insane run in form right now. I've got a soft spot for the Argentine guys as my dad grew up there. The Barca-Arsenal game will be some beautiful soccer to watch.

Silock
03-21-2010, 11:27 PM
Dear Chelsea:

LOL

Welcome to third place!

Things are looking to shake out really well for Arsenal. Just have to keep winning. And pray that Chelsea somehow beats Manchester United.

WoodDraw
03-21-2010, 11:35 PM
Dear Chelsea:

LOL

Welcome to third place!

Things are looking to shake out really well for Arsenal. Just have to keep winning. And pray that Chelsea somehow beats Manchester United.

I think Chelsea is done. Fuck them.

The race is between Arsenal and United. That will be 1-2.

I'm incredibly worried about our CB position. One injury or long term red card suspension and we are fucked. Next season we need to blow up this position. Good-bye and thanks to Gallas and Sol. Love you, but no more.

WoodDraw
04-11-2010, 10:52 AM
I think Chelsea is done. **** them.

The race is between Arsenal and United. That will be 1-2.

Uh, just kidding. What a crazy Prem this year. Teams keep dropping points like crazy.

Liverpool seems to have sealed their exit from the big four. City or Spurs? Hmmm...

Spicy McHaggis
04-18-2010, 09:58 AM
Liverpool seems to have sealed their exit from the big four. City or Spurs? Hmmm...

Totally shot themselves in the foot this year. Lack of depth at striker killed Liverpool.

Also, WTF just happened to Arsenal? Wigan with 3 goals in 10 minutes to win?

WoodDraw
04-18-2010, 08:43 PM
Totally shot themselves in the foot this year. Lack of depth at striker killed Liverpool.

Also, WTF just happened to Arsenal? Wigan with 3 goals in 10 minutes to win?

I didn't see it, but ouch.

Time for this season to end and see what Wenger can do in the transfer market. He has the money, so we'll see what happens.

As for Liverpool, at least it looks like the American's are on their way out. I hope they can get a quality owner to help turn around the financial mess.

Silock
04-19-2010, 12:19 AM
Fuck. This has been a really, really terrible two weeks for Arsenal. What a dismal way to end the fucking season. FUCK. So pissed.

Spicy McHaggis
04-19-2010, 07:09 AM
At least you're in the top 4.

****. I hate to blame things on ownership but the Hicks and Gillette basically look like assholes who didn't have any idea what they were getting into. Borrowed to buy and then things went belly up. I understand their desire to make money and hey, more power to them, but it would be nice if they gave two shits about who Liverpool is a club.

Sell it and GTFO.

Fritz88
04-19-2010, 07:14 AM
****. This has been a really, really terrible two weeks for Arsenal. What a dismal way to end the ****ing season. ****. So pissed.

Sorry but Wenger has got to go

Silock
04-19-2010, 02:22 PM
Sorry but Wenger has got to go

I don't think it's quite that time yet, but next season will be it. No trophies = he's got to go.

I mean, we're still not THAT far out of the Prem title race; at least not 18 points out like we were last year.

We just need depth and a new keeper.

WoodDraw
04-19-2010, 04:24 PM
We just need depth and a new keeper.

Two new keepers, please. I wonder when Arsene sees Szczęsny (aka player voted most in need of a nickname) as being ready. Might by time to bring him in for some second choice games, if we can't find a good Championship team or lower level prem team to loan him out to. Although I don't like the idea of having a good young keeper sitting on the bench not playing.

Other than that, depth like you say. Perhaps a starting CB, after the clusterfuck there this year. Goodbye Tweety, Gallas, and Sol. So two new ones at least.

Maybe a new medical staff too? Fucking christ guys

Silock
04-19-2010, 07:21 PM
Fabianski looked decent, and Mannone did have a great game this year.

I want Lloris as the #1, though.

I think we'll be okay at CB provided Djourou doesn't get hurt and we can resign Gallas. That gives us Djourou, TV5, Gallas, and Campbell with Song as the 5th option in a pinch.

WoodDraw
04-19-2010, 09:31 PM
Fabianski looked decent, and Mannone did have a great game this year.

I want Lloris as the #1, though.

I think we'll be okay at CB provided Djourou doesn't get hurt and we can resign Gallas. That gives us Djourou, TV5, Gallas, and Campbell with Song as the 5th option in a pinch.

I have no faith in that at all. I want Gallas gone, and I want Sal gone. I don't give a shit about history - if you can't stay healthy and produce, so long. I love Sol, but you can't tell me there isn't a younger, better 4th option CB that can take his place. When age fatigue keeps you out of games, you aren't Arsenal material.

Same as Gallas. If he wants to come back as a 3rd CB choice, I'm okay with that. But we can't rely on him to be healthy all year. We did this year, and we got fucked.

I also have no faith in Djourou coming back from injury and grabbing a first team spot. I hope he does, but this season has taught us we need depth, especially defensively.

If we go into next season with TV5, Gallas, and Djourou that's inviting a disaster. We need a starter CB.

Fabianski is shit. He's not Arsenal level. He needs to be loaned out, at the least. Lloris is fine. There are a handful of keepers I'd love to get. We'll see what Arsne does.

Silock
04-19-2010, 09:51 PM
I think Djourou and TV starting would be fine, but that's just me. Djourou looked really good last year and in his little time this year. But yeah... depth for sure is needed.

I hope we sell Eduardo and Vela and use that money for some more depth.

WoodDraw
04-20-2010, 08:01 PM
I think Djourou and TV starting would be fine, but that's just me. Djourou looked really good last year and in his little time this year. But yeah... depth for sure is needed.

I hope we sell Eduardo and Vela and use that money for some more depth.

I'm fine with Djourou, other than there's no way you go into next season relying on someone who spent the last year injured. We saw the CB clusterfuck this year. Why mess with it?

Now speculation and the reality of the transfer market are two different things. And we're talking Arsene here, so he won't bring in a starting CB over Djourou. But we need the depth badly.

Spicy McHaggis
05-24-2010, 10:38 AM
I know the majority of us here (I don't think we have any Chelsea fans posting here) are disappointed with the season's results. Still, thought it was time for a bump post-Champions league final and as the US suit up for a friendly tomorrow evening. Bobbo is apparently waiting until after the game to announce the Davies-less final 23 so keep your eyes peeled for anyone making a last gasp effort for inclusion. Interested in seeing guys like Bedoya get a bit of run.

WoodDraw
05-24-2010, 10:42 AM
My thoughts on the season:

Fuck Chelsea. Fuck Mourinho and everything related to Italian soccer. And fuck Barca, mainly for being the largest group of smug douchebags ever assembled.

Bring on the world cup. I'm sick of reading transfer rumors.

SPATCH
05-24-2010, 10:45 AM
I know the majority of us here (I don't think we have any Chelsea fans posting here) are disappointed with the season's results. Still, thought it was time for a bump post-Champions league final and as the US suit up for a friendly tomorrow evening. Bobbo is apparently waiting until after the game to announce the Davies-less final 23 so keep your eyes peeled for anyone making a last gasp effort for inclusion. Interested in seeing guys like Bedoya get a bit of run.

I'm also interested in seeing what our primary back line will be for the tournament. It will probably be a standard lineup tomorrow:

Spector - Gooch - Boca - Bornstein

However, I don't think too many people are convinced that this is the optimum defense.

WoodDraw
05-24-2010, 10:49 AM
Isn't our entire defense injured or something? I think I read that somewhere. I haven't followed the MNT recently. I'm on a soccer lockdown of sorts right now.

Fritz88
05-24-2010, 10:51 AM
My thoughts on the season:

**** Chelsea. **** Mourinho and everything related to Italian soccer. And **** Barca, mainly for being the largest group of smug douchebags ever assembled.

Bring on the world cup. I'm sick of reading transfer rumors.

This except for the Fuck Chelsea part. I am a die hard Bayern Munich fan but I also like Chelsea for sticking it to ManU.

As for Jose Whreinho and Italian soccer, you are right. The way he played in the CL final made the game as boring as it gets. Real Madrid are fools for signing him. I heard their fans are opposed to him because his playing style is pathetic. 4-3-2-1, Fuck that.

I guess the Real Madrid owner wants a return on his investment and stick it to Barca for after stomping him for two years.

Spicy McHaggis
05-24-2010, 10:57 AM
Isn't our entire defense injured or something? I think I read that somewhere. I haven't followed the MNT recently. I'm on a soccer lockdown of sorts right now.

Gooch is back in training and Demerit and Dolo both returned from injury some time ago. I can't think of anyone else off the top of my head.

Speaking of defense though, I want Eric Lichaj to get some looks in the next cycle.

WoodDraw
05-24-2010, 10:58 AM
This except for the Fuck Chelsea part. I am a die hard Bayern Munich fan but I also like Chelsea for sticking it to ManU.

As for Jose Whreinho and Italian soccer, you are right. The way he played in the CL final made the game as boring as it gets. Real Madrid are fools for signing him. I heard their fans are opposed to him because his playing style is pathetic. 4-3-2-1, Fuck that.

I guess the Real Madrid owner wants a return on his investment and stick it to Barca for after stomping him for two years.

I can't wait to listen to Real Madrid fans whine after he sucks every ounce of style out of that team while talking about how awesome he is.

The only success I take from this season is City not finishing top four. But that only means they'll throw outrageous amounts of money at everyone else again this summer. So, it's hard to enjoy that for too long.

WoodDraw
05-24-2010, 11:03 AM
Gooch is back in training and Demerit and Dolo both returned from injury some time ago. I can't think of anyone else off the top of my head.

Speaking of defense though, I want Eric Lichaj to get some looks in the next cycle.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010/may/23/usa-football-world-cup-injuries

There's the article I read. It's from the English though, so you know the drill. At least we have their summer meltdown to look forward to.

I've never seen Eric Lichaj play. It would be nice to see make his way on to Villa's first team, or at least get loaned out to a better side. Hard to get called into camp playing for a League One team.

SPATCH
05-24-2010, 11:18 AM

I forgot that Dolo was back. When healthy he's got to be our RB... slot Spector over to LB in that case (he has plenty of experience there with his club side, I believe)

It's also going to be interesting to see which forwards make the trip to SA. I still have a soft spot for EJ so I'm pulling for him. I still believe he can be dangerous as a late substitution.

Spicy McHaggis
05-24-2010, 12:10 PM
I agree with you. I'd slot Dolo out right if he's fit. Spector got victimized a bit towards the end of the season so that's somewhat worrisome but he's still probably the leading option at left (no Bornstein please) and I like what he has to offer coming forward.

If Gooch and DeMerit are good to go, they're my choice at center back. Bocanegra can become a fill-in at any of the defensive spots, though he's not a true CB and he lacks the pace and quickness anymore to play outside.

WoodDraw
05-24-2010, 12:27 PM
If Gooch and DeMerit are good to go, they're my choice at center back. Bocanegra can become a fill-in at any of the defensive spots, though he's not a true CB and he lacks the pace and quickness anymore to play outside.

Gooch and DeMerit should be locks in the center, unless one of them loses a leg. Even then, I'd have to think about it.

I'd prefer to leave Spector on the right, simply because that's where he likes to play. He's also a bit better coming forward on the right.

I think it's also unrealistic to think Bradley won't start his captain. So Boca to LB.

SPATCH
05-25-2010, 12:21 PM
Bump for the game today. Starts at 6:30 CT on ESPN.

Wonder what kind of lineup we're going to see today... some think BB may wait until the Turkey match to put all the first-teamers out there together.

Pants
05-25-2010, 12:42 PM
Somebody start us a World Cup thread. Obviously, UP ain't going to be around to do it this time.

And yes, that CL final game was a ****ing abortion and **** the the special one. And I agree, I don't think too many people in Madrid are going to like 2-0 games too much. People hate on Barcelona and that's fine, but at least they play a beautiful style of soccer. It really is a joy to watch.

P.S. Villa and Fabregas are going to make that team even sicker. Jesus titty.

WoodDraw
05-25-2010, 01:02 PM
Bump for the game today. Starts at 6:30 CT on ESPN.

Wonder what kind of lineup we're going to see today... some think BB may wait until the Turkey match to put all the first-teamers out there together.

The 23 gets announced tomorrow, so that sounds right. We won't see the WC starting XI.

SPATCH
05-25-2010, 01:03 PM
I've got a feeling UP will make an appearance for the World Cup...

Pants
05-25-2010, 03:14 PM
I've got a feeling UP will make an appearance for the World Cup...

I hope she does. I think it's time for the Dutch to not choke for once and win the big one. Spain and the Netherlands have the most talent on their teams from top to bottom, we'll see what happens.

SPATCH
05-25-2010, 03:24 PM
I hope she does. I think it's time for the Dutch to not choke for once and win the big one. Spain and the Netherlands have the most talent on their teams from top to bottom, we'll see what happens.

The dutch (outside of USMNT) are my favorite team. I fully expect them to make a deep run the go around.

Brazil may be unstoppable, however. My gut feeling is that they will win again.

Pants
05-25-2010, 03:27 PM
The dutch (outside of USMNT) are my favorite team. I fully expect them to make a deep run the go around.

The Dutch always look unstoppable. Until they choke on penalties in the quaterfinals that is.

I grew up idolizing Marco van Basten and Ruud Gullit. Needless to say, Oranje have always been my favorite team. It still hurts when I think back to 1998 when Seedorf missed his ****ing PK against France. The Dutch were by far the best team in that WC. FML.

Fritz88
05-25-2010, 04:32 PM

I have been rooting for Germany since I was 9 years old. This year I don't expect them to do much so I really hope the Dutch won't blow it as usual. They are the best team, along with Spain, not to win the WC.

With Arjen Robben and Wesley Sneijder, we are sure to see some good soccer.

Pants
05-25-2010, 05:20 PM
With Arjen Robben and Wesley Sneijder, we are sure to see some good soccer.

And van Persie and Huntelaar and van der Vaart and Kuyt and... you get the point.

WoodDraw
05-25-2010, 05:25 PM
I love watching Sneijder play.

Pants
05-25-2010, 05:27 PM
I love watching Sneijder play.

Wesley is a baller, but van Persie pulls some really beautiful shit out of his ass on a regular basis.

Oh and Robben says "Sup."

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/bx16iOUQn8A&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/bx16iOUQn8A&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

FILTHY FILTHY FILTHY

Pants
05-25-2010, 05:31 PM
Also, flashback from 1998 Dutch greatness [shivers]:

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/exlBHTyB1R0&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/exlBHTyB1R0&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

SPATCH
05-25-2010, 05:37 PM
I'll probably be the only one that's pumped to see EJ starting tonight... fuck it. i'm pulling for him.

Silock
05-25-2010, 05:45 PM
Kickoff soon.

Let's go Buddle. Show me something. I want you on the team.

Silock
05-25-2010, 05:46 PM
van Persie pulls some really beautiful shit out of his ass on a regular basis.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/lbTSkIJQvwg&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/lbTSkIJQvwg&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Buck
05-25-2010, 06:01 PM
Yay Onyewu is back!

Silock
05-25-2010, 06:07 PM
Wow, we look decent moving the ball around.

Buck
05-25-2010, 06:10 PM
Wow, we look decent moving the ball around.

Uhh, I don't think the Czech team is trying too hard. We even have a bunch of backups in.

Silock
05-25-2010, 06:20 PM
I think we're doing pretty well now! 1 - 0!

SPATCH
liked the stanky leg tribute to davies

Buck
Nice goal.

Buck
05-25-2010, 06:21 PM
liked the stanky leg tribute to davies

I laughed.

Buck
05-25-2010, 06:22 PM
Man if we beat or draw with England imagine the pandimonium.

Buck
05-25-2010, 06:25 PM
The Czechs have turned up the heat since we scored.

the Talking Can
05-25-2010, 06:26 PM
i think buddle got taken out by cech...we're a man down for a few minutes

Buck
05-25-2010, 06:28 PM
PHEW

Silock
05-25-2010, 06:38 PM
Need more defensive bite in midfield

Silock
05-25-2010, 06:46 PM
Fuck

SPATCH
05-25-2010, 06:52 PM
torres, beasely, and goodson did well in the first helf... gooch sticking to the pitch on that goal is worrisome.

the Talking Can
05-25-2010, 06:55 PM
onyewu got smoked on that goal

looks scared to jump...looked scared to make any kind of hard cut on that leg....

Silock
05-25-2010, 07:21 PM
Nice goal.

Silock
05-25-2010, 07:28 PM
EQUALIZER!

Silock
05-25-2010, 07:40 PM
Our defense sucks.

SPATCH
05-25-2010, 07:57 PM
not gonna panic... it was what it was

Spicy McHaggis
05-26-2010, 01:49 PM
not gonna panic... it was what it was

No need to. Although the defensive lapses weren't pretty it was Heath Pearce who got smoked twice and proved yet again he can't cut it above the Trinidad and Tobago level. Fortunately, he's no where near the final 23. Not saying it's true, but if Gooch does have some lingering effects of the injury, mental or otherwise, he could prove a liability in the center. Still, I thought for a team lacking the majority of its normal starters they looked decent coming forward. There were some really encouraging combinations in the final 1/3 of the field. A creativity was about the squad that the U.S. doesn't show all the time and I liked it.

The final roster is out. Not a team without its flaws but one that certainly can be competitive. Really surprised by the inclusion of Findley, I would have rather left him off, included Bedoya while using Dempsey as an up man.

Goalkeepers: Brad Guzan (Aston Villa, England), Marcus Hahnemann (Wolverhampton, England), Tim Howard (Everton, England).

Defenders: Carlos Bocanegra (Rennes, France), Jonathan Bornstein (Chivas USA), Steve Cherundolo (Hannover, Germany), Jay DeMerit (Watford, England), Clarence Goodson (IK Start, Norway), Oguchi Onyewu (AC Milan, Italy), Jonathan Spector (West Ham, England).

Midfielders: DaMarcus Beasley (Glasgow Rangers, Scotland), Michael Bradley (Borussia Moenchengladbach, Germany), Ricardo Clark (Eintracht Frankfurt, Germany), Clint Dempsey (Fulham, England), Landon Donovan (Los Angeles), Maurice Edu (Glasgow Rangers, Scotland), Benny Feilhaber (AGF Aarhus, Denmark), Stuart Holden (Bolton, England), Jose Torres (Pachuca, Mexico).

Forwards: Jozy Altidore (Hull, England), Edson Buddle (Los Angeles), Robbie Findley (Salt Lake), Herculez Gomez (Puebla, Mexico).

Hawk8568
05-28-2010, 08:57 AM
will there be any places around here that have watch parties for the WC?

|Zach|
05-28-2010, 09:50 AM
will there be any places around here that have watch parties for the WC?

Wizards are organizing things in the KC Live block in P+L.

SPATCH
05-28-2010, 10:48 AM
Wow. I am surprised to see Findley in the final 23. Big ups to BB for not taking weak ass Brian Ching.

Hawk8568
05-28-2010, 11:15 AM
Wizards are organizing things in the KC Live block in P+L.

nice! I was hoping they would do something like that, but I didnt see anything on the PnL website. I wont be in town for the first game, but I will be for the rest.

I'll be in Italy during the semi's, and Austria during the final -- should be fun. It would be especially awesome if Italy was still in it while we are there.

WoodDraw
05-29-2010, 10:01 AM
nice! I was hoping they would do something like that, but I didnt see anything on the PnL website. I wont be in town for the first game, but I will be for the rest.

I'll be in Italy during the semi's, and Austria during the final -- should be fun. It would be especially awesome if Italy was still in it while we are there.

That'll be awesome. I'm going to be in Spain for USA - England, so I'll have to look up a good expats bar.

Game time in a few hours. Should finally see our A team.

SPATCH
05-29-2010, 10:46 AM
I'll be interested to see what the back line will look like today. Gooch needs more PT so I think he starts again. That should bump Boca to LB.

Here's what I would like to see. First Half:

Dolo - DeMerit - Gooch - Boca

Second Half (Spector for Gooch):

Dolo - DeMerit - Boca - Spector

*Also looking forward to seeing who BB pairs with Altidore up top... my guess is Buddle

Ultra Peanut
05-29-2010, 12:54 PM
This is awkward as hell, also Spector sucks.

SPATCH
05-29-2010, 01:01 PM
This is awkward as hell, also Spector sucks.

oh hai

I do not like Dempsey STARTING at forward. Pair Jozy with Buddle/Gomez and start Dempsey on the right wing. Sub Feilhaber for Buddle/Gomez in the second half and shift Dempsey to the top... he just seems to have a bad mindset when he starts at forward.

Ultra Peanut
05-29-2010, 01:06 PM
oh hai

I do not like Dempsey STARTING at forward. Pair Jozy with Buddle/Gomez and start Dempsey on the right wing. Sub Feilhaber for Buddle/Gomez in the second half and shift Dempsey to the top... he just seems to have a bad mindset when he starts at forward.Agreedo.

Ultra Peanut
05-29-2010, 01:22 PM
Findley is awesome! Holy christ!

Buck
05-29-2010, 01:38 PM
GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAL

Buck
05-29-2010, 01:43 PM
That was offsides, but Howard is still playing lights out right now.

I wasn't awake for the first goal, so I don't know if he looked bad or if it was an easy goal by Turkey.

Pants
05-29-2010, 01:48 PM
That was offsides, but Howard is still playing lights out right now.

I wasn't awake for the first goal, so I don't know if he looked bad or if it was an easy goal by Turkey.

Defense got caught off position on a counterattack. Howard didn't do the team any favors either, though. That ball could have been saved.

Ultra Peanut
05-29-2010, 01:50 PM
ARHEWIUHFIDSFFDFDfd

Buck
05-29-2010, 01:50 PM
Fuckin Bradley. TAKE THE SHOT

Pants
05-29-2010, 01:51 PM
For all intents and purposes this game is 3-1. 98% of the time, that's a goal.

Ultra Peanut
05-29-2010, 01:52 PM
For all intents and purposes this game is 3-1. 98% of the time, that's a goal.Then again, it should've been 3-0 Turkey in the first ten minutes.

Oh my god, Torres.

Buck
05-29-2010, 01:52 PM
For all intents and purposes this game is 3-1. 98% of the time, that's a goal.

I know its practice and all, but thats not how scoring works!

Buck
05-29-2010, 01:53 PM
I know he was offside, but what an ugly attempt by Dempsey.

Ultra Peanut
05-29-2010, 01:55 PM
Landon with the DEATHSTARE™

Pants
05-29-2010, 01:55 PM
I know its practice and all, but thats not how scoring works!

I'm just saying, that pass was a good decision. Landon was open too, but I don't think anyone was thinking Dempsey was going to miss that. I mean, shit, any one of us here could've made that shot.

Pants
05-29-2010, 01:56 PM
Then again, it should've been 3-0 Turkey in the first ten minutes.

Oh my god, Torres.

oh hai

Ultra Peanut
05-29-2010, 01:59 PM
lolhello

second half was so baller!

Buck
05-29-2010, 02:01 PM
Turkey is ranked higher than is in the world rankings right?

Buck
05-29-2010, 02:03 PM

I guess not, we are 14, they are 29.

Anything below making it to the round of 8 will be a disappointment for me.

SPATCH
05-29-2010, 02:03 PM

no... but FIFA rankings are about as accurate the kicker who's name shall remain unspoken

Pants
05-29-2010, 02:06 PM
no... but FIFA rankings are about as accurate the kicker who's name shall remain unspoken

Yeah, the FIFA rankings suck balls. There isn't really any way to fix them either, I don't think. Too many teams who never play each other.

SPATCH
05-29-2010, 02:13 PM
My thoughts...

1. Cherundolo reemphasized that he is our RB. The primary backline for the world cup looks like it will be:

Dolo - DeMerit - Gooch - Boca

2. Edu > Clark. He should start alongside Bradley in the midfield.

3. Torres is SOLID. We have A LOT of good options in the midfield.

WoodDraw
05-29-2010, 04:32 PM
Nice crowd it looked like. Time to play the games that count.

Who wants to start the WC thread? I have a bad track record in causing all teams to lose. I don't want to be held responsible for failure.

AZChief
05-29-2010, 04:44 PM
bornstein is going to give me ulcers. god, i hope he misses the flight to SA.

and get torres in the starting 11 already!!

Silock
05-29-2010, 08:34 PM
Torres is awesome. I think we should start with our formation from the second half in the game against Australia. Excellent win!

SPATCH
07-21-2010, 10:00 PM
BUMPAGE

Gonna be interesting to see which clubs some of the Nats will be moving to... especially Donovan and Bradley

..Also, I haven't looked into it for a while, but who is going to be the coach for the 2014 cycle??? Klinsy? (I hope)

|Zach|
07-21-2010, 10:02 PM
Seems there is a lot of talk of a Bradley extension. Not confirmed.

WoodDraw
07-21-2010, 10:12 PM
I don't want Bradley extended. He did a good job, butt he doesn't deserve another four years.

LOL @ 'pool going crazy signing Cole. Nice sign, but he's not bringing anyone back to top flight.

Also. can we get a universal fuck CITY? I will cheer for them to lose every game this year. FUCK CITY.

SPATCH
07-21-2010, 10:13 PM

Yeah.. I fully expect him to stay on for Gold Cup '11.

However, Klinsmann is the PERFECT fit. I don't understand why we wouldn't take advantage of that. He knows the American player pool and the weird ass system that we have to employ, and he was so impressive as the skipper for the German national team IMO.

Pull the damn trigger Sunil. Let's take this bitch to next level!

Param
07-21-2010, 10:16 PM

Time to move on...

WoodDraw
07-21-2010, 10:18 PM
I don't have a problem with Bradley staying on for the GC. But it should be with the understanding that both sides plan on separating after. Either give him the contract, or find a new coach.

WoodDraw
08-10-2010, 12:05 AM
Anyone getting excited? It's going to be a pretty open Premier League again. And I think we can all agree on one thing -

Fuck City!

Arsenal wins the keep Fabregas battle. Word hasn't come down yet if we get a trophy for that or not. Perhaps we can pawn it for a CB and GKer.

'pool might be headed for a bank takeover. America, fuck yeah!

Poor Aston Villa... I predict mid-table for them.

United and Chelsea? Fuck 'em both. Spurs are preparing to mess around with some Young Boys, so we'll let them grow up and join the party later.

Cheers to a good season to all :) Also, friendlies tomorrow.. Back to this as the game thread?

DJay23
08-20-2010, 02:44 PM
Munchen just won their first match of the new Bundesliga season on a Sweinsteiger goal in the 91st minute!

WoodDraw
08-20-2010, 07:21 PM
Munchen just won their first match of the new Bundesliga season on a Sweinsteiger goal in the 91st minute!

Against Wolfsburg no less. And I had no idea Steve McClaren was there now...

What's the Bundesliga looking like this year? I've never followed Germany much, but the league seems to be in great shape.

DJay23
08-21-2010, 01:27 AM
Against Wolfsburg no less. And I had no idea Steve McClaren was there now...

What's the Bundesliga looking like this year? I've never followed Germany much, but the league seems to be in great shape.

Should be Bayern's for the taking but Schalke should be pretty good (beat an undermanned Bayern in a minor cup final a couple of weeks ago before a more complete FCB lineup took the Supercup). Wolfsburg spent more on incoming players than any other team in the Bundesliga and they really put it to Munchen in the second half today to equalize. Beyond that I'm still kind of new to following all of it. That's what I've picked up so far!

WoodDraw
10-14-2010, 10:49 PM
I know we have some Liverpool supporters here. Good luck tomorrow - hope you get those cunts out and what looks to be a good owner in.

Hope the new UEFA rules do away with this leveraged buy out nonsense.

Silock
10-14-2010, 11:11 PM
LOL @ England

Signed,
Montenegro

SPATCH
11-17-2010, 01:57 PM
US playing South Africa in SA right now on ESPN2

0-0... the vuvuzelas are in full force

CoMoChief
11-17-2010, 02:13 PM
This thread sucks.

As does Soccer

|Zach|
11-17-2010, 03:38 PM
USA wins 1-0. Agudelo is youngest player to score for US. Bunbury came in at half and looked good.
Posted via Mobile Device

SPATCH
11-17-2010, 04:02 PM
USA wins 1-0. Agudelo is youngest player to score for US. Bunbury came in at half and looked good.
Posted via Mobile Device

For those who didn't see the game... the squad was an experimental squad with almost no nat regulars. The average age on the roster was 23 with an average of 8 caps per player.

It was a thoroughly impressing performance. They were resilient and worked hard throughout the 90 (now an American staple, no matter the squad).

Diskerud had the assist on the Agudelo goal. He's looking like a lock to choose the US over Norway.

Ultra Peanut
11-17-2010, 10:27 PM
Holy CHRIST, Agudelo and Diskerud looked awesome, even beyond the goal. Mix's touch and creativity and Agudelo's confidence and vision were almost too good to be true. Bedoya and Lichaj also made a bunch of great plays today, plus it was cool seeing Gaven out there after his many years in the wilderness. And Tim Ream looks like he lives in a shack and spends his days writing manifestos to the government, but he looked like a baller today, too.

I hope we never see Spector or Bornstein at LB or Findley at forward ever again for the Nats, though. Just awful.

By the by, Mix is so goddamn hot. Look at this fucking guy:

http://www.stabak.no/multimedia/dynamic/00003/mix_3334e.jpg

Pre-emptive favorite player for 2k14.

Diskerud had the assist on the Agudelo goal. He's looking like a lock to choose the US over Norway.This was an official FIFA international date, so he should be cap-tied now, along with Agudelo, Bunbury, and Agbossoumonde.

Ultra Peanut
11-17-2010, 10:36 PM
Oh, and

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/su-kYllwfdk?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/su-kYllwfdk?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

WoodDraw
11-17-2010, 11:47 PM
WTF has happened to Spector? He's lost it. Hello Lichaj... He's broken into the Premier league, and has to be the favorite to start winning time in this cycle.

I have a bit of a crush on Diskerud. He's going to play big league European football. A down to earth, solid guy too who picked the USMNT. I'd put Mix down as being the 2014 breakout star. He should be in camp for now on. I want him in the Gold Cup squad soooo bad.

[edit]

And UP is right, Mix is cap tied now, but he announced his decision awhile ago, to his credit. Absolutely love him. Big MNT followers have been talking about him for a bit, but he's just now gotten the chance to work his way in. Get used to the name...

Ultra Peanut
11-18-2010, 12:23 AM
Spector is always an abomination at left back. I have no idea why he was forced to play there all year last year for West Ham, nor do I understand why Bradley is playing him there beyond the fact that Bornstein is even worse.

And apparently the dual-nationality guys who are now cap-tied can still exercise the permanent one-time switch option FIFA instituted, except for Bunbury, who already used his one-time switch to play for the US after playing in tournaments with Canadian U-17 and U-20 teams.

Speaking of U-20s, check out this Agudelo goal from the Milk Cup this summer. It starts around 1:06, after the first goal.

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/sJsi8NVWHbI?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/sJsi8NVWHbI?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

The fact that this kid is a product of the US youth development system continues to astonish me.

WoodDraw
11-18-2010, 01:17 AM
Spector is always an abomination at left back. I have no idea why he was forced to play there all year last year for West Ham, nor do I understand why Bradley is playing him there beyond the fact that Bornstein is even worse.

And apparently the dual-nationality guys who are now cap-tied can still exercise the permanent one-time switch option FIFA instituted, except for Bunbury, who already used his one-time switch to play for the US after playing in tournaments with Canadian U-17 and U-20 teams.

Spector has been an abomination at right back lately too, so... I don't know, he needs to regain form somehow. He's likely out, unless he can get some club time.

Is that true? If it's a full international cap, they can't change affiliations. Either way, Mix has committed to the USMNT. He was quoted a ways back:

"I am a Norwegian-American. I would love to play for both countries, but I can't. I had said first come - first served, in order to let fate take control, I guess. My agent has informed my club and the Norwegian Federation of my decision..."

He's thrown himself into the USMNT development heavily. He's not switching affiliation.

Ultra Peanut
11-18-2010, 03:24 AM
Spector needs to go on loan to a <strike>Cola</strike> nPowership side that needs help at RB or CB. Being on the left so much last year probably destroyed his confidence.

And yeah, I really don't think there's any kind of real likelihood that any of the four dual-nationality newbies would consider switching, since they all seem to have really bright futures with us and the US also happens to be a more powerful ~footballing~ nation than all of them except Colombia, which is kind of a wash and mitigated by the fact that Agudelo grew up and developed in the US system.

SPATCH
11-18-2010, 12:06 PM
BTW, The Kansas City Wizards are now Sporting Kansas City lawl

http://www.kansascity.com/2010/11/17/2446676/wizards-will-kick-off-with-a-new.html

Spicy McHaggis
11-18-2010, 01:44 PM
Holy CHRIST, Agudelo and Diskerud looked awesome, even beyond the goal. Mix's touch and creativity and Agudelo's confidence and vision were almost too good to be true.

I hope we never see Spector or Bornstein at LB or Findley at forward ever again for the Nats, though. Just awful.

Agree with you on many counts.

I've been a fan of Mix for a bit and I'm glad he's decided on the Stars and Stripes. His touch was quite nice and the roll back to flick up move was as nifty as Agudelo's finish was sublime. Good to see him playing some tough defense as well.

Lichaj played like a beast. You can tell he's a defender who has been training/playing in the EPL. He was able to impose himself physically without being simply a brute. That said, I do worry a bit that he may find himself on the end of a few cards simply by mis-timing the occasional tackle.

Spector has to get further time as a CB. I love his crosses coming forward but the guy simply lacks the "hip-turn" to play out wide. His confidence is shattered by a lack of form and playing time at a bottom of the table club and a lack of recent success at the international level. Bornstein is a frantic player that hasn't shown any consistency and "One move" Findley continues to show why pace alone doesn't make you a great player.

Gaven looked, well, good. As in one of the best on the field good. Huh. Don't know how he figures into the mix going forward but the guy is only 24 although it seems like he should be 34 by this point. Mad props to Guzan who only really made one questionable decision throughout the game and showed very little rust.

As a whole the one thing that I felt I could pick out of the game for the US team is that the squad looked quite cohesive, especially considering the circumstances. They went through dry spells of attack but strung passes together and read each other well for the most part. In defense, and this is huge in my eyes, they would take the ball away and instead of freaking out and lumping it forward without a real plan, they got their heads up and looked to pass and maintain possession. Holy shit. I absolutely loved it. Great day for the kids.

Ultra Peanut
11-18-2010, 01:50 PM
Not super relevant to the future USMNT, but DeMerit signed with the Whitecaps to be their first MLS player.

http://www.mlssoccer.com/sites/default/files/imagecache/dl-640x380/image_nodes/2010/11/JD.jpg

http://www.whitecapsfc.com/news/2010/11/usa-world-cup-star-jay-demerit-becomes-first-whitecaps-fc-mls-signing

Gaven looked, well, good. As in one of the best on the field good. Huh. Don't know how he figures into the mix going forward but the guy is only 24 although it seems like he should be 34 by this point.It definitely weirds me out that I'm older than him, but I guess that's the beauty of looking like one of the best prospects the US has ever had at 17 and then falling apart at 19.

Being a Quakes homer and all, I hope Bobby Convey can experience a similar resurgence, though I think it would have to be as a left winger since he's not even completely comfortable at left back against the better attacking players in MLS. If he solved the LB problem it would be magic, but it's unlikely.

As a whole the one thing that I felt I could pick out of the game for the US team is that the squad looked quite cohesive, especially considering the circumstances. They went through dry spells of attack but strung passes together and read each other well for the most part. In defense, and this is huge in my eyes, they would take the ball away and instead of freaking out and lumping it forward without a real plan, they got their heads up and looked to pass and maintain possession. Holy shit. I absolutely loved it.Seriously, what an awesome sight.

Spicy McHaggis
11-18-2010, 02:03 PM
Definitely, UP. Glad to see DeMerit back on a team, it was weird how he was floating around after the Cup. Also, I'm kind of digging Vancouver's old-school striped kit there.

And I failed to mention him in my last post, but Goodson looked very solid in the middle. Normally, it seems that he'll get caught flat on a through ball about once a game and have it tarnish his overall performance but no such moments yesterday.