PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Case for Croyle

LaChapelle
01-10-2010, 05:21 PM
Josh Looney:Insider's blog

January 8th – 6:30 AM

Brodie Croyle is likely on cloud nine this morning after ‘Bama’s 37-21 thrashing of Texas in last night’s national title game. As sweet as that win was for Croyle, his NFL future has to make him feel pretty good as well.

Don’t misconstrue the title of this blog. Matt Cassel is, without a doubt, the quarterback for 2010 and is very much a part of the Chiefs nucleus of talent going forward. Offensive success in the years ahead will likely come and go with Cassel’s performance. The Chiefs need Matt Cassel to be “the man.”

With that said, Cassel’s backup made quite a name for himself with the new coaching staff this season and he fought improbable odds to do so.

“Brodie Croyle you can’t overlook,” Chiefs head coach Todd Haley said. “I perceive him playing a critical role for us as we go forward.”

What a wild ride it’s been in Kansas City the man from Rainbow City, Alabama. Drafted in 2006 as the Chiefs “quarterback of the future,” Croyle’s career with the Chiefs has resembled a blueprint for The Mamba at World’s of Fun or the stock chart for Bank of America more than anything else.

In 2007, Kansas City traded away its franchise leader in virtually every passing category to make room for Croyle to guide the offensive reigns. Trent Green was at the twilight of his career and the Chiefs had a 24-year old with a rifle-arm ready to take his place, or so it was thought.

The job was essentially Croyle’s to lose as training camp began in 2007. Sure enough, he lost it. A 42.5% completion percentage, three INTs and a 34.5 quarterback rating wasn’t going to get it done. Veteran Damon Huard, who sparked the Chiefs playoff run in 2006 when Green was out with a major head injury, would be the starter over the youngster from ‘Bama.

Take it up one more year and Croyle found himself in a nearly identical situation. He did start six games instead of the anticipated 16 the year before, but he still had some work to do in order to quiet the doubters and officially earn the starting role. He did. Then he fell again.

Not 20 pass attempts into the 2008 season Huard was back in as the Chiefs primary signal caller. Croyle had suffered a right shoulder injury when he was sacked by Patriots LB Adalius Thomas in the third quarter of the season opener. He’d miss the next five games.

Croyle returned to the field vs. Tennessee, and we all know what happened from there. Croyle started out his return by completing nine of his first 10 passes before DT Albert Haynesworth broke through the line and sent his 350-pound frame (that’s roughly 7/40 of a ton if my math skills are up to par) directly into Croyle’s lower-half. Another setback, Croyle’s left knee was shredded.

So there Croyle was, sitting on the sidelines, rehabbing a knee injury while his teammates worked to impress their new head coach during a demanding 2009 offseason. A head coach with an emphasis on accountability and players being available walked into a program to see a player who had been touted by the previous administration as the up-and-coming quarterback of the future. When that up-and-comer carries a lengthy report of injury history on his resume and spends the entire offseason off the field, it’s not exactly an ideal first impression.

The scenario that evolved created a seemingly impossible situation for Croyle in Kansas City, but Croyle found a way to make the impossible possible.

The chance that Brodie Croyle would be released before the season probably outweighed the chance that he would start the season opener at Baltimore. His first day of workouts came on the first day of training camp. The Chiefs other three QBs competing with Croyle – Matt Cassel, Tyler Thigpen and Ingle Martin – all had a couple-hundred-hours head start. The new administration had all but announced their “quarterback of the future” and Croyle was left on the outside looking in.

Slowly, snap-by-snap, Croyle began to win over his new head coach. He’d get ridden hard at camp for an error, only to take the next snap and deliver a perfectly thrown football. Croyle was starting to show some mental fortitude. Mental fortitude is something that Haley likes. Slowly, that non-existent start Croyle produced during Haley’s first few months on the job became an afterthought.

Croyle kept going and going. His camp grew more impressive by the day and word of mouth was beginning to spread. Those that covered the team began to write about Croyle’s performance and those that visited River Falls went home to tell about it to their friends.

“Brodie Croyle looks good. I mean, Brodie Croyle looks really good.”

Croyle’s critics in the media and fan base began to turn into supporters, at least in Croyle serving as the primary backup to Cassel. That’s exactly what Croyle did. His camp earned him the job ahead of Tyler Thigpen, the player who ignited a lot of exciting plays for the Chiefs a year before and who had Haley talking positively throughout the spring.

Croyle simply beat him out.

When Croyle spot-started the season opener for an injured Cassel, and turned in the team’s first 100+ QB rating (over 20 attempts) since 2006, he cemented himself as the primary backup for 2009. He did everything Haley had asked and more. Thigpen then became dispensable and was traded to Miami for a draft pick.

Over a period of just six weeks in 2009, Croyle’s career had taken yet another turn. He earned the respect of his new head coach and re-established himself as a leader among his teammates.

This week, Croyle’s career in Kansas City came back full-circle. Once again he’s been tabbed as an important part of the organization’s future; an improbable feat not six months ago.

“I’m trying to touch on guys that I see as core guys for us in one role or another,” Haley said earlier this week. “That’s a critical spot and he developed as the year went on and gained confidence in what we were doing.

“That role is pretty critical that there is cohesiveness in the [quarterback meeting] room and it’s not always the case,” Haley continued. “Everybody wants to play and everybody can’t play.”

Croyle has embraced his new role and Haley has embraced Croyle. There seems to be a mutual appreciation for each other based off nothing more than respect for one another and the things that each must do to be successful. By the end of the year, Haley’s confidence in Croyle had grown so much that his once overlooked QB was suggesting third-down play calls in the red zone (If you haven’t read ANATOMY OF A PLAY, go check it out).

Now, Croyle is part of the “core” that we’ve discussed and identified over the latter half of this week. His role my carry a heavy off-the-field impact, but his progress this offseason is just as important as any other player the Chiefs are planning to go forward with in 2010.

Not to say that Haley didn’t like Croyle six months ago, but it certainly doesn’t take a psychologist to see that Haley likes Croyle today. The two carry very different personas that feed off each other in a positive way.

Croyle signed a four-year contract as a rookie in 2006 and would have been in line to become an unrestricted free agent this offseason. Instead, without a new collective bargaining deal in place, it looks like Croyle will become a restricted free agent instead. This means that the Chiefs have the right to match any offer and receive compensation via draft picks if they don’t.

More than likely, it looks like Croyle will be back in 2010. How can you not like this guy

LaChapelle
01-10-2010, 05:22 PM
This reads like a column on Todd Collins in VD's first or second year

RustShack
01-10-2010, 05:26 PM
I'm just going to assume this is a REPOST

BigRedChief
01-10-2010, 05:27 PM
No thanks. Too brittle.

Hammock Parties
01-10-2010, 05:27 PM
Seeing Croyle beat out Thigpen was one of the best parts of 2009. It totally killed the notion that Thiggy had any value as a starting quarterback whatsoever....just totally deflated all the Thigpals.

Epic win.

Reerun_KC
01-10-2010, 05:29 PM
No thanks. Too brittle.

Nah, he has proved to this organization that he isnt brittle anymore.

BigMeatballDave
01-10-2010, 05:33 PM
I still maintain he had the best performance of a Chiefs QB this season. Against a tough D no less...

TheGuardian
01-10-2010, 05:35 PM
I think Croyle could have easily won 4 games and maybe more. Esp once Charles got established. Cassel got worse as the season went on. And there is no way that his deep ball is less accurate.

LaChapelle
01-10-2010, 05:40 PM
I'm just going to assume this is a REPOST

If you're feeling anal enough
you can search further
I didn't

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/search.php?searchid=347771

TRR
01-10-2010, 05:43 PM
No thanks. Too brittle.

This. His whole life story is injury. High school, college, and now the NFL.

He has found the perfect role in KC. A very good backup to assist in a new offense.

Nothing more.
Posted via Mobile Device

'Hamas' Jenkins
01-10-2010, 05:48 PM
The Case for Croyle is that he's a better QB than Cassel.

The Case against Croyle is that he has a long injury history, he's still not a franchise QB, but most importantly, he's not a sacred cow.

BossChief
01-10-2010, 05:49 PM
Its a shame the kid is made of glass.

SenselessChiefsFan
01-10-2010, 05:49 PM
The one thing you can say about Cassel is that he is sturdy. Otherwise, I would take Croyle every day of the week. If Croyle could have stayed healthy, Herm Edwards and Chan Gailey would still be his coaches, IMO.

DeezNutz
01-10-2010, 05:52 PM
The one thing you can say about Cassel is that he is sturdy. Otherwise, I would take Croyle every day of the week. If Croyle could have stayed healthy, Herm Edwards and Chan Gailey would still be his coaches, IMO.

There might be some negative, knee-jerk reactions to this post because of the unfettered hatred for all things Herm, but this is probably accurate.

Easy 6
01-10-2010, 05:58 PM
For me, Croyle is like that old girlfriend that still inspires a flame... the long, flowing arm is a real Live Wire, more earnest, more likeable & friendly than Forrest Gump... Rainbow City, Alabama > Greenbow, Alabama... c'mon!1?

You know Haley secretly covets the idea of that arm, i know i do.

chefsos
01-10-2010, 05:58 PM
Sounds like Brodie's OK with filling the #2 slot.

[Kellie jokes go right here]

Chan93lx50
01-10-2010, 06:09 PM
I feel Croyle is only an injury (Greater than 3 weeks) to cassel away from being our permanent starting QB

DaWolf
01-10-2010, 06:11 PM

Perhaps. But I've seen enough of Croyle to believe that he's never going to be a "special" QB at this level, he's just another one of those guys who if he gets into the right system and has an excellent supporting cast, he can be effective. Never saw him give the team much of a spark when he played usually. He fits in well right now as the backup. So, outside of the durability issue, I don't see much difference between him and Cassel, outside of the fact that Cassel has about 15 more wins as a starter under his belt than Croyle...

BigMeatballDave
01-10-2010, 06:18 PM
Injury issue aside, no one here thinks Croyle is a franchise QB, but I'd bet most, if not all would agree he's no worse than Cassel, and likely better.

Raptor
01-10-2010, 06:34 PM
:wayne:+1

Injury issue aside, no one here thinks Croyle is a franchise QB, but I'd bet most, if not all would agree he's no worse than Cassel, and likely better.

Titty Meat
01-10-2010, 07:36 PM
Crolye has ZERO wins as a starter and poor mechanics. Whoever thinks Croyle is a better QB than Cassel is a dumbass.

Reerun_KC
01-10-2010, 07:37 PM
Crolye has ZERO wins as a starter and poor mechanics. Whoever thinks Croyle is a better QB than Cassel is a dumbass.

I think your a dumbass... Does that account for anything? :D:)

Titty Meat
01-10-2010, 07:38 PM
I think your a dumbass... Does that account for anything? :D:)

I got the same # of wins in the NFL as Brodie Croyle in 4 less years of playing :)

Reerun_KC
01-10-2010, 07:39 PM
I got the same # of wins in the NFL as Brodie Croyle in 4 less years of playing :)

Dude, so do I! Think we could get a contract?

Titty Meat
01-10-2010, 07:40 PM
Dude, so do I! Think we could get a contract?

You got connections with the Cardinals or Patriots?

BossChief
01-10-2010, 07:42 PM
It would have been nice to have had Croyle make it. It would be much more exciting to have a qb that we drafted end up being the franchise guy.

I wouldnt be surprised if Croyle ends up being the starter by two years from now either.

Well see.

ILChief
01-10-2010, 08:49 PM
I feel Croyle is only an injury (Greater than 3 weeks) to cassel away from being our permanent starting QB

for one or two weeks till he breaks in half and Gutierrez is our starting QB

KCBOSS1
01-10-2010, 08:52 PM
I said it in the offseason, and I'm saying it again....we are very possibly in another Grbac/Gannon situation. The best guy is on the bench. You would be brittle too if Haynesworth fell on you.

ILChief
01-10-2010, 08:53 PM
I still maintain he had the best performance of a Chiefs QB this season. Against a tough D no less...

no, Cassel had several games better than that. Especially vs. Dallas, Pittsburgh, and Cleveland.

Croyle managed the game decently vs. BAL but it was a very conservative game plan and if not for the punt block we'd have been in no position to win that game.

Reerun_KC
01-10-2010, 08:54 PM
You got connections with the Cardinals or Patriots?

I had a parrot one time and served in the military? Close enough?

Galileo Humpkins
01-10-2010, 09:13 PM
O'CROYLE RULES!

DaWolf
01-10-2010, 09:14 PM
I said it in the offseason, and I'm saying it again....we are very possibly in another Grbac/Gannon situation. The best guy is on the bench. You would be brittle too if Haynesworth fell on you.

I have a feeling a lot of us want to think he's the "best guy" because we don't like the guy who is actually starting moreso than the guy on the bench merits it.

From my vantage point, until Croyle comes into a game and actually sparks this team's offense and leads us to a win, I don't see where he merits praise.

People were saying the same thing about him in the '07 season and then when he actually got to start some games, nuthin'...

Tribal Warfare
01-10-2010, 09:53 PM
Injury issue aside, no one here thinks Croyle is a franchise QB

:harumph:

Royal Fanatic
01-10-2010, 09:56 PM
Gannon's resume was a hell of lot more impressive than Croyle's. You should probably wait until Croyle actually wins an NFL game before you start comparing him to Gannon.

Raptor
01-10-2010, 11:08 PM

I wouldn't give any game balls to Cassel for those 4 wins. I'd say that we won in spite of him in 3 of those 4 wins. I would say he was pretty good in the second half of the Pittsburgh game, but we now know that Pittsburgh was just a shell of last year's team and that win, while good, wasn't the breakthrough we all originally thought it was.

I'm no Croyle band Wagoner, and I am also a USC fan, so I have no motive to hate on Cassel. I want him to succeed. But I still feel that he has been a major disappointment and wasn’t worth the pick we gave up for him. There was a reason he sat all of those years at SC & in New England. True Matt was on rosters with some talent, but we've also seen how Leinart has panned out in the NFL. At best, he's just OK. Matt's arm strength is questionable, can't consistently throw accurately if it's more than 15 yards downfield, can't seem to throw the ball away in lieu of a sack or pick and makes crappy game decisions (as evidenced by the numerous check downs he's thrown with time expiring on the clock).

I guess to summarize, I don't think we have the QBOTF on this roster. I think we have 2 good backups. One that is overhyped, overpaid and comes with the endorsement of the almighty Patriot prophet and another with a rocket arm, china legs and the unfortunate curse of having been selected by the exiled management.

Tribal Warfare
01-10-2010, 11:13 PM
Crolye has ZERO wins as a starter and poor mechanics.

Are you kidding Cassel's mechanics are atrocious, he throws the ball like he's a center fielder very poor footwork with his right rear leg swinging out wide every time he throws the ball beyond 10+ yards.

TigerPig
01-10-2010, 11:17 PM
Too bad it isn't acceptable to start Croyle in front of Cassel. Mix sh*t up. Usually a QB should get two-three years before being called a wash, but if he's not even the best QB on the team then f*ck him, 60 million-dollar contract and all.

DaneMcCloud
01-10-2010, 11:21 PM
I have a feeling a lot of us want to think he's the "best guy" because we don't like the guy who is actually starting moreso than the guy on the bench merits it.

Croyle has ALL of the mental attributes and an extremely strong arm which has matured over the past few years (as seen in the Ravens game).

What he lacks is experience and the ability to stay healthy. IF he could stay healthy, he could be a franchise QB. But to date, he hasn't shown that ability (outside of the Ravens game).

I've been saying all year that he's a guy you keep around, not cut.

Chris Meck
01-11-2010, 12:01 AM
I really, REALLY like Croyle. Love his arm. Love his tenacity coming back from all those injuries.

Unfortunately, the problem is all those injuries. I WISH he you could count on him to stay healthy, and I bet at some time in the next year or so we'll see him play.

Is he better than Cassel? Not from the IR.

Titty Meat
01-11-2010, 12:03 AM
Are you kidding Cassel's mechanics are atrocious, he throws the ball like he's a center fielder very poor footwork with his right rear leg swinging out wide every time he throws the ball beyond 10+ yards.

I also know which QB couldn't beat Damon Huard when he was given the job.

Tribal Warfare
01-11-2010, 12:05 AM

Yeah, I remember that meeting on Hard Knocks when Carl said " I want the guy who can help us to win now". Which impeded Croyle's chance to be the starter, because Peterson was horrified that Croyle will make mistakes.

Titty Meat
01-11-2010, 12:09 AM
Yeah, I remember that meeting on Hard Knocks when Carl said " I want the guy who can help us to win now". Which impeded Croyle's chance to be the starter, because Peterson was horrified that Croyle will make mistakes.

And when he did play he won 0 games what a shocker. I thought good QB's good win despite of shit talent or does that only apply if you dislike said QB?

Tribal Warfare
01-11-2010, 12:11 AM
And when he did play he won 0 games what a shocker. I thought good QB's good win despite of shit talent or does that only apply if you dislike said QB?

How about dumbass coaches that put a leash on him which handcuffed one of Brodie Croyle's best attributes? Which was throwing the deep ball.

TigerPig
01-11-2010, 12:13 AM

Do you think that the situation would be different if it played out today? Or that maybe he's a late-bloomer like some quarterbacks are?

Not saying this is the case, just wondering.

Titty Meat
01-11-2010, 12:15 AM
How about dumbass coaches that put a leash on him which handcuffed one of Brodie Croyle's best attributes? Which was throwing the deep ball.

I'm trying to find Croyles stats for when he threw the ball more than 10+ yards.

Titty Meat
01-11-2010, 12:16 AM
Do you think that the situation would be different if it played out today? Or that maybe he's a late-bloomer like some quarterbacks are?

Not saying this is the case, just wondering.

No I think Brodie Croyle is and always will be overrated. Herms history with QB's suck.

KcMizzou
01-11-2010, 12:16 AM
It's hard not to root for Croyle. The injury issues seem to be about the only thing going against the guy. It's unfortunate.

KcMizzou
01-11-2010, 12:17 AM
Croyle has ALL of the mental attributes and an extremely strong arm which has matured over the past few years (as seen in the Ravens game).

What he lacks is experience and the ability to stay healthy. IF he could stay healthy, he could be a franchise QB. But to date, he hasn't shown that ability (outside of the Ravens game).

I've been saying all year that he's a guy you keep around, not cut.Agreed 100%.

At the very least... he's a backup that can come in a win a game for you. (On a decent team, anyway.)

Titty Meat
01-11-2010, 12:19 AM
Agreed 100%.

At the very least... he's a backup that can come in a win a game for you. (On a decent team, anyway.)

How can he come in and win a game when he's never won a NFL game in 4 seasons?

TigerPig
01-11-2010, 12:19 AM
No I think Brodie Croyle is and always will be overrated. Herms history with QB's suck.

That's cool. I just wish it would be perfectly acceptable to start him in front of Cassel if indeed he DID end up being a better QB. Its funny how teams talk non-stop about their uncompromised desire to win, but yet when it comes to benching the guys with the big contracts, they won't (Larry?).

Maybe Weis will be able to make one or the other truly shine. At this point I don't care who is a good QB, as long as we have a good one.

DaWolf
01-11-2010, 12:21 AM

I've been saying all year that he's a guy you keep around, not cut.

I'm just excited that we have an actual pro-level super bowl winning offensive coordinator around now who can watch film with these guys and mentor them and work on their mechanics.

There's about a year's difference between both guys, and both are entering the "prime years" of a QB in this league. Cassel is going to get next year to prove he can get it done. If he continues to struggle, I think it sounds like Haley thinks enough of Croyle that he might have a chance to get in there. Because contract or not, if we're not winning and the QB is struggling, it's Haley's job on the line...

KcMizzou
How can he come in and win a game when he's never won a NFL game in 4 seasons?(On a decent team, anyway.)

TigerPig

If a QB is good enough, its just a matter of time. If Haley likes what he sees then I'm thinking there must be at least some redeeming value to him. I trust the head coach's ability to gauge talent better than my own. Not only has he been around the game his whole life (even if he didn't play), but he sees them 24/7.

If he likes what he sees, chances are there's something there, even if he's a horrible coach like some think. The worst NFL head coach can tell you if a QB sucks, is okay, or is great.

DaneMcCloud
01-11-2010, 12:28 AM

:shake:

Seriously?

The Bad Guy
01-11-2010, 12:45 AM
Where is Tribal Warfare to tell me we should put the transition tag on Croyle?

TigerPig
01-11-2010, 12:46 AM

Then he'd be our big contract QB and we could start him! :)

Tribal Warfare
01-11-2010, 01:45 AM

I'd still do it, the guy has talent and if someone wants to offer a contract him it will drafts galore because of their intent to make him the starter.

TigerPig
01-11-2010, 01:50 AM
I'd still do it, the guy has talent and if someone wants to offer a contract him it will drafts galore because of their intent to make him the starter.

Transition tag < offers from other teams (sinceh he will probably be restricted)?

BossChief
01-11-2010, 01:53 AM
Are you kidding Cassel's mechanics are atrocious, he throws the ball like he's a center fielder very poor footwork with his right rear leg swinging out wide every time he throws the ball beyond 10+ yards.Cassels problem is not his mechanics, its all mental. His mechanics are quite good.

Herms historry with qbs health sucks, but when his starter at the begining of the year makes it through the year, his team makes the playoffs. Every year. When Chad Pennington (who was drafted in 2000 and Herm was the HC that developed him. Al Groh drafted him too, it wasnt Parcells) every year Chad Pennington stayed healthy, they made the playoffs and even won a couple playoff games.

Heck, even when Trent went down in the first game, he made the playoffs with the backup in 2006 (too bad he didnt start the backup in the playoffs but thats another story and thread alltogether)

Croyle could have been the man if he had stayed healthy, but his body wouldnt allow it.

Tribal Warfare
01-11-2010, 02:26 AM
Cassels problem is not his mechanics, its all mental. His mechanics are quite good.

Cassel's footwork isn't good, when someone throws a football it's proper technique to have a solid foundation when throwing. A player who swings his rear leg when throwing will result in inconsistent throws being unbalanced momentarily and overcompensating his lack of arm strength by getting his lats involved as much as possible when throwing deep. Of course this coupled with Cassel's poor decision making

T-post Tom
01-11-2010, 02:53 AM
Cassels problem is not his mechanics... His mechanics are quite good.

No offense, but:

http://www.failpix.net/wp-content/uploads/2008/11/fail.png

BossChief
01-11-2010, 02:57 AM
Cassels throwing mechanics are not his problem

but that fail pic is pretty funny though

BossChief
01-11-2010, 03:01 AM
If you dont think my opinion is good enough on the subject, do you trust Terry Sheas?

http://www.fileskcsp.com/morningrush/1202shae.mp3

Cassels mechanics are not the problem.

Titty Meat
01-11-2010, 03:07 AM
:shake:

Seriously?

Dane he sucks. His completion % is garbage nevermind he's NEVER WON AN NFL GAME.

SenselessChiefsFan
01-11-2010, 06:52 AM
There might be some negative, knee-jerk reactions to this post because of the unfettered hatred for all things Herm, but this is probably accurate.

I'm not saying they would have won the Super Bowl, just been successful enough to stick around.

Extra Point
01-11-2010, 07:06 AM
Neither Croyle nor Cassel have done all that well, considering the overall performance of the O-line and play calling. Steve Deberg should coach our QBs.

beach tribe
01-11-2010, 07:18 AM

I think Croyle is a better QB. He just can't stay healthy.

And you thought Mike Brown was our savior.

Icon
01-11-2010, 07:30 AM
I don't know about anyone else but it seems tragic that we as Chiefs fans are discussing who we like better as QB, Cassel or Croyle. I can't get too excited about either. I just hope Cassel had a tough year, similar to Trent Green's first year in KC, and will get better as the surrounding cast improves.