PDA

View Full Version : BCS National Championship Game: Bama's McElroy played with cracked rib

Tribal Warfare
01-11-2010, 08:11 AM
BCS National Championship Game: Bama's McElroy played with cracked rib (http://www.ledger-enquirer.com/sports/story/969157.html)

ASSOCIATED PRESS
PASADENA, Calif. — Alabama quarterback Greg McElroy played the national championship game with a hairline crack in at least one rib.

Crimson Tide coach Nick Saban said Friday that the injury was “a little bit of a nuisance” to McElroy at times. But he said the quarterback never came close to having to leave the Tide’s 37-21 victory over Texas on Thursday night.

Saban said the injury didn’t show up on X-rays but was spotted during a bone scan. He didn’t say exactly when McElroy was injured, only that the quarterback had the problem “for quite awhile.”

McElroy told ESPN.com after the game he hurt two ribs during the third quarter of the SEC championship game. He said he got it numbed before the national title game.

Quarterback Ryan Mallett to stay with Razorbacks

FAYETTEVILLE, Ark. — Arkansas quarterback Ryan Mallett is staying in college, passing up the NFL with an eye toward helping the Razorbacks become one of the nation’s elite teams.

Mallett announced his decision Friday. He threw for a school-record 3,624 yards this season, leading Arkansas’ young team to an 8-5 record. Mallett’s top wide receivers are expected back next season as well.

“We’re excited. We can’t wait,” Mallett said. “We’ve got a great team still that’s coming back.”

Mallett has two years of eligibility remaining, but his performance this season made him a candidate to jump to the pros early.

Mallett’s return should give Arkansas one of the nation’s top passing offenses. Sophomores Greg Childs, Jarius Wright and Joe Adams combined for 118 catches for 2,143 yards this season, and tight end D.J. Williams is also a receiving threat, assuming he sticks around for his senior season.

“I talked to my parents after the game and talked to the coaches and decided that I wanted to be here,” Mallett said. “It’s where I need to be. I’ve got another year to grow and mature on and off the field.”

Locker says no to the NFL draft, possible No. 1 pick

SEATTLE — The promise of a big pile of money waiting in the NFL couldn’t overpower quarterback Jake Locker’s belief that he had goals to accomplish before he leaves Washington.

“The only reason for going was because there’s a lot of money involved. I didn’t care about that. That’s not what it’s about for me,” Locker said on Friday, his first extended comments about his decision since it was announced on Dec. 14.

In making that decision, Locker gave up a chance to possibly be the No. 1 overall pick in the 2010 draft.

But Locker only sees the benefits. He gets another year under the coaching of Steve Sarkisian with the opportunity to make additional strides in becoming a better passer.

Fired coach Leach accuses college in court papers

LUBBOCK, Texas — Fired Texas Tech coach Mike Leach on Friday accused his former bosses of making “slanderous and libelous” statements intended to damage his reputation and hurt him financially.

Court documents filed Friday said statements made by university administrators “were made intentionally” to harm Leach and expose him to financial harm.

The latest filing amends one filed on Dec. 29 with the intent of allowing Leach to coach in the bowl game. He was fired the next day.

— From wire reports

The university says it fired Leach with cause and contends it does not have to pay him any of the money remaining in his contract. Leach’s attorneys contend Tech “wrongfully terminated Leach without cause.”

Had Leach been the coach on Dec. 31 he was due an $800,000 bonus.

On Thursday, Leach’s attorneys asked a state district judge to allow them to question administrators and James — a sophomore and son of former NFL player and ESPN analyst Craig James — in the next two weeks. The attorneys, who also want documents and communications from the school pertaining to Leach going back to Jan. 1, 2006, want to take the case to trial by March 1.

In Friday’s filing, Leach’s attorneys claim Texas Tech officials have given “conflicting statements about the basis” for Leach’s dismissal, “casting doubt” on their reasons for firing him.

keg in kc
01-11-2010, 02:49 PM
I think that's the right move on Mallet's part.

Probably the same for Locker.

Mr. Laz
01-11-2010, 03:11 PM

mixture of admiration and questions about whether he's a moron.

oldandslow
01-11-2010, 03:49 PM
Right move for Mallet...idiocy for Locker (see Bradford, S.)

88TG88
01-11-2010, 05:09 PM

At least Bradford had a shot at a title. UW will be nowhere close to a rose bowl next year.

Frosty
01-12-2010, 09:15 AM
I wonder what Locker's goals are? To give UW a winning season?

Garcia Bronco
01-12-2010, 03:54 PM
I wonder what Locker's goals are? To give UW a winning season?

How about get an Education?

Buehler445
01-12-2010, 08:55 PM
That would be why McElroy sucked shit.

Frosty
01-13-2010, 08:59 AM
How about get an Education?

Like he can't afford to go back to school with the money he would receive as a 1st round pick? :shrug:

El Jefe
01-13-2010, 12:32 PM
BCS National Championship Game: Bama's McElroy played with cracked rib (http://www.ledger-enquirer.com/sports/story/969157.html)

ASSOCIATED PRESS
PASADENA, Calif. — Alabama quarterback Greg McElroy played the national championship game with a hairline crack in at least one rib.

Crimson Tide coach Nick Saban said Friday that the injury was “a little bit of a nuisance” to McElroy at times. But he said the quarterback never came close to having to leave the Tide’s 37-21 victory over Texas on Thursday night.

Saban said the injury didn’t show up on X-rays but was spotted during a bone scan. He didn’t say exactly when McElroy was injured, only that the quarterback had the problem “for quite awhile.”

McElroy told ESPN.com after the game he hurt two ribs during the third quarter of the SEC championship game. He said he got it numbed before the national title game.

Quarterback Ryan Mallett to stay with Razorbacks

FAYETTEVILLE, Ark. — Arkansas quarterback Ryan Mallett is staying in college, passing up the NFL with an eye toward helping the Razorbacks become one of the nation’s elite teams.

Mallett announced his decision Friday. He threw for a school-record 3,624 yards this season, leading Arkansas’ young team to an 8-5 record. Mallett’s top wide receivers are expected back next season as well.

“We’re excited. We can’t wait,” Mallett said. “We’ve got a great team still that’s coming back.”

Mallett has two years of eligibility remaining, but his performance this season made him a candidate to jump to the pros early.

Mallett’s return should give Arkansas one of the nation’s top passing offenses. Sophomores Greg Childs, Jarius Wright and Joe Adams combined for 118 catches for 2,143 yards this season, and tight end D.J. Williams is also a receiving threat, assuming he sticks around for his senior season.

“I talked to my parents after the game and talked to the coaches and decided that I wanted to be here,” Mallett said. “It’s where I need to be. I’ve got another year to grow and mature on and off the field.”

SEATTLE — The promise of a big pile of money waiting in the NFL couldn’t overpower quarterback Jake Locker’s belief that he had goals to accomplish before he leaves Washington.

“The only reason for going was because there’s a lot of money involved. I didn’t care about that. That’s not what it’s about for me,” Locker said on Friday, his first extended comments about his decision since it was announced on Dec. 14.

In making that decision, Locker gave up a chance to possibly be the No. 1 overall pick in the 2010 draft.

But Locker only sees the benefits. He gets another year under the coaching of Steve Sarkisian with the opportunity to make additional strides in becoming a better passer.

Fired coach Leach accuses college in court papers

LUBBOCK, Texas — Fired Texas Tech coach Mike Leach on Friday accused his former bosses of making “slanderous and libelous” statements intended to damage his reputation and hurt him financially.

Court documents filed Friday said statements made by university administrators “were made intentionally” to harm Leach and expose him to financial harm.

The latest filing amends one filed on Dec. 29 with the intent of allowing Leach to coach in the bowl game. He was fired the next day.

— From wire reports

The university says it fired Leach with cause and contends it does not have to pay him any of the money remaining in his contract. Leach’s attorneys contend Tech “wrongfully terminated Leach without cause.”

Had Leach been the coach on Dec. 31 he was due an $800,000 bonus.

On Thursday, Leach’s attorneys asked a state district judge to allow them to question administrators and James — a sophomore and son of former NFL player and ESPN analyst Craig James — in the next two weeks. The attorneys, who also want documents and communications from the school pertaining to Leach going back to Jan. 1, 2006, want to take the case to trial by March 1.

In Friday’s filing, Leach’s attorneys claim Texas Tech officials have given “conflicting statements about the basis” for Leach’s dismissal, “casting doubt” on their reasons for firing him.

Locker sounds like a moron. I wonder if he paid any attention to Sam Bradford and how passing up that money last year really helped him.

El Jefe
01-13-2010, 12:38 PM
mixture of admiration and questions about whether he's a moron.

Wow I should read the entire thread before posting, I just said what both of you said :doh!: