PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs LOL...Thigpen > Cassell

B_Ambuehl
01-11-2010, 11:11 AM
The fact that someone could actually make that argument with a straight face and stats to back it up is absolutely hilarious. Here's the article:

http://uponfurtherreview.kansascity.com/?q=node/1795

Cassell vs Thigpen

Now that the season is over, it’s time to compare the two quarterbacks. The Chiefs had Thigpen for a fraction of the cost of Cassel. Since it isn’t my money (at least not directly), I’m not going to sweat it. But, if you are going to stink up the joint anyway, you might as well do it on the cheap. Of course, the hope is that Cassel will end up being something that Thigpen never could. Perhaps, but it’s still valid to compare the two after one year each.

The first thing I want to do is to quote Sam’s post a few days ago. This is a great paragraph. “He's the first quarterback since 1995 -- hello, Rick Mirer! -- to throw 16 or fewer touchdowns, 16 or more picks, get sacked 42 or more times, and finish with a quarterback rating under 70. He quarterbacked a 4-12 team and was the sixth-highest paid quarterback with the 25th-highest rating.”

That pretty much sums up Cassel’s season. Most fans are disappointed, but the jury is still out. Nevertheless, Cassel had basically the same tools with which to work as did Thigpen, so a comparison is fair.

By the way, I want to thank Tom Hook for this idea. His arguments were that Thigpen not only had a better 2008 than Cassel had in 2009, but that Thigpen would have been a better long-term solution (never mind the price). He recognizes that stats only tell part of the story…

“Obviously, stats will prove only partially illuminating. For example, I don’t know if there are statistical measures that shed light on ‘Playmaking’ but I maintain Thigpen is a playmaker and Cassel is not. Thigpen could make something out of nothing and for long stretches was virtually the only threat the ‘08 Chiefs had going on the offensive side of the ball. How does one quantify bonehead plays – like Cassel throwing to Savage in the flat as time ran out, with the Chiefs in easy FG territory -- or savvy plays, like Thigpen making things happen with his legs or jump-passing a 2 pt conversion to Cox with a Raider in his face? Similarly, how does one measure how fellow teammates respond to a player? Thigpen had major support from players like Gonzalez. Who has raved about playing with Cassel?”

I don’t dwell in the world of subjectivity very often. I comment on what can be measured. So, although the above analysis appears valid, what matters to me are the measurable, objective facts. Here they are.

I’m only going to evaluate Thigpen beginning with game #7 of the 2008 season. The first six games were a toss-up as to who would be playing between Huard, Croyle and Thigpen. A fan wants to know how Thigpen performed when he was the established starting quarterback – the same as Cassel.

Of course, that leads to a fair question as to whether Cassel should be evaluated on all his starts or only on the last 10 games (same as Thigpen). Cassel actually benefits from adding the first five games (missed game #1). So, I will take the best case scenario for both – the final 10 games for Thigpen and all 15 games for Cassel.

QB--YPG--RYpg---Com%--TDpg-- INTpg--SKpg-- Rat
Thig- 221.6-32.5----58.2%-- 1.6----0.8-----2.6----83.6
Cass-194.9--12.6----55.0%---1.1---1.1-----2.8----70.2

-

PYpg – Passing Yards per game; RYpg – Rushing Yards per game; Com% - Completion percentage; TDpg – Passing TDs per game; INTpg – Interceptions per game; SKpg – Sacked per game; Rat – Average QB rating.

There are a number of things to point out here. The first item is that Thigpen leads in every single category! No matter what, you would expect Cassel to lead in something, but no.

The QB rating sucks miserably as I explained in a recent post. However, it is mostly bad when looking at individual games. Over the course of a season, the average rating is far better. Keep in mind that rushing yards per game and sacks are not factored into the QB rating. Even so, Thigpen was superior on both.

Back to the QB rating, the worst game Thigpen had was a 61.0. And, even in that game he passed for 320 yards – his career high! All the rest of his games were 70+. Cassel, on the other hand, had almost half of his games under 70 – including two that were under 15!

By any objective measurement, Thigpen’s 2008 season was superior to Cassel’s 2009 season.

I realize Thigpen was 1-9 in his games vs 4-11 for Cassel, but I fail to see how that was Thigpen’s fault. His relatively strong play is what allowed the Chiefs to stay within 10 points of their opponents in all but one game. As we painfully recall in 2009, Cassel started five contests in which the Chiefs were beaten worse than 10 points. In the 10 games with Thigpen, the Chiefs were beaten by an average of 5.9 ppg. In the 15 games with Cassel, KC was beaten by an average of 7.7.

I’ll let Tom have the last word.

“In addition to Thigpen’s better athleticism and better Chiefs’ statistics I think it is also relevant, when comparing him to Cassel, to recall that Thigpen had no major college experience, less NFL experience, was younger (2 years), and was working with his third offensive coordinator in two years (and, arguably, his fourth offensive scheme if you count Gailey), all of which suggests that Thigpen’s best football is still to come. Just as with Rich Gannon, I suspect Thigpen will get ultimately get an opportunity and the Chiefs, again, will have to play ‘what might have been.’”

Gonzo
01-11-2010, 11:13 AM
Fuck this.

The only reason this is even a subject is because he "plays with so much heart."

WTF ever, he's never be anything but mediocre at best and his game will have to drastically improve to achieve that.

Hammock Parties
01-11-2010, 11:14 AM
repost

Reerun_KC
01-11-2010, 11:32 AM
FAIL

keg in kc
01-11-2010, 11:42 AM
I don’t dwell in the world of subjectivity very often.Indeed.

Brock
01-11-2010, 11:47 AM
Thigpen was indeed better in the "throw jump balls to the tight end over and over again" category.

jAZ
01-11-2010, 11:49 AM
Bob Gretz: "There was about a difference of 175 degrees between how Gailey thought on offense and play calling and what Haley was looking for."

Sorta makes 2008 vs 2009 comparisons a bit of apples and oranges.

DBOSHO
01-11-2010, 11:50 AM
I said this a year ago.

Im going to buy this dude a drink.

Consistent1
01-11-2010, 12:06 PM
There are some angles where you can almost make the argument that they should have just let Thiggy play. He was way cheaper than what they laid out for Cassel. Now we still end up with crap record and high pick. Most people feel stuck with Matt rather than enthused at this point. Can't hardly pick up a QB with that high pick now. The WR picture is still completely unclear with even Bowe being kindy shaky in some ways. They auditioned a bunch of dudes, but nothing super came out of it. Chambers is going to be another year older, and is he even going to be here or effective next year? The running game at least might have came together for the immediate future, but what else is there on O? I don't agree with all of that junk, but the team is still screwed for play makers and the QB situation was far from being solved beyond a reasonable doubt.

Deberg_1990
01-11-2010, 12:20 PM
There are some angles where you can almost make the argument that they should have just let Thigpen play. He was way cheaper than what they laid out for Cassel. Now we still end up with crap record and high pick. Most people feel stuck with Matt rather than enthused at this point. Can't hardly pick up a QB with that high pick now.

hindsite is 20/20 of course, but i kind of wish that would have happened now...

Nabbing Cassel over Sanchez sort of lends credence to the theory that Pioli/Haley thought they could "win now" when they arrived in KC.

Mama Hip Rockets
01-11-2010, 12:24 PM
Thigpen is way better than Cassel.

Deberg_1990
01-11-2010, 12:26 PM
Thigpen is way better than Cassel.

Not really, they are both bad, its just that one of them didnt cost 60mil.

Galileo Humpkins
01-11-2010, 12:27 PM
This is like comparing AIDS to genital warts.

I could do without either one.

keg in kc
01-11-2010, 12:29 PM
Nabbing Cassel over Sanchez sort of lends credence to the theory that Pioli/Haley thought they could "win now" when they arrived in KC.Yeah, I'm sure they looked at the roster after that two win season and thought "we're almost there! just a QB away!".

I'm not sure why they went the way they did - I don't have a line into the front office - but I've always thought that the fact that they didn't make a big splash in free agency, and that they were so willing to go with so many untested younger players pointed more towards thinking they were years away, rather than on the cusp.

(Plus, as memory serves, they basically said "this is going to take a while" the second they got here)

But that's just me...

Mama Hip Rockets
01-11-2010, 12:31 PM
Not really, they are both bad, its just that one of them didnt cost 60mil.

And one of them has legs that actually move, while the other curls up DamonHuardFetusStyle every time a defender is within 5 yards of him.

wild1
01-11-2010, 12:32 PM
whoever wrote this should be locked up

'Hamas' Jenkins
01-11-2010, 12:36 PM
whoever wrote this should be locked up

Why? He's not the dumb motherfucker who gave one of the two 60 million bucks before he'd taken a snap.

Hammock Parties
01-11-2010, 12:55 PM
And one of them has legs that actually move, while the other curls up DamonHuardFetusStyle every time a defender is within 5 yards of him.

Sorry but this is motherfucking bullshit. I'm all for ripping on Cassel, but at least you could be somewhat truthful about it. Cassel runs plenty. He doesn't fold at the first sign of pressure. Hell, if anything he runs too much.

FishingRod
01-11-2010, 12:57 PM
Thigpen was our 3rd string QB that played because we had no other choice. Cassel was brought in and paid a butt-load of money to be the face of the franchise. While Cassel is "probably" a better professional QB than Thigpen, an argument could still be made that Thigpen, Huard , Croyel all might be better or no worse. Now that pretty much sucks. I hope I'm wrong because we are stuck with him for at least another few years and I think we paid about 60 million bucks for serviceable back up QB.

wild1
01-11-2010, 12:58 PM
Why? He's not the dumb mother****er who gave one of the two 60 million bucks before he'd taken a snap.

But he's the dumb mother****er who says Tyler Thigpen is better.

Titty Meat
01-11-2010, 01:01 PM
This thread sucks

Chiefspants
01-11-2010, 01:15 PM
I would have like to see Thigpens numbers without Tony Gonzalez at his side.

There was a reason that Gonzo loved him so much.

Royal Fanatic
01-11-2010, 01:32 PM
I think Cassel will be a decent quarterback and I think he's better than a lot of people around here make him out to be.

But I can't imagine that anyone in his right mind thinks the Chiefs made a good move by spending a HIGH first round draft choice, a HIGH second round draft choice and $60+ Million for Matt Cassel and Tyson Jackson. Just think how much better off they'd be if they had held on to Thigpen for a year, drafted a couple of studs with their first and second picks, spent the $60 million on a couple of free agents, and drafted a quarterback this year.

In that respect the OP is right on target. Thigpen wasn't the long-term solution, but he'd have been a hell of a stopgap in a 4-12 year. The important thing would have been to scrap the spread formation so that the youngsters on the team would be learning how to run a pro-style offense.

Consistent1
01-11-2010, 01:35 PM

What about Welker for Matty? Brady was possibly not quite good as he has been in the past this year, but still ended up with two of the highest yardage totals in the NFL for WR's. Moss and Welker are a lethal combination where they feed off of each other. I don't think anybody here is saying they want Thiggy. I want to thank Deberg for making the hind site point. I meant my post in that way also. It's just that other than Charles really coming on, we don't know much more now than we did last year. Charles even needs a compliment so he doesn't get shot to hell next year carrying too much of the load. KC needs a Dallas-lite stable. They got lucky as hell. You think Barber, Felix or Choice could carry the load by themselves for the Cowboys and have that offense looking so deadly?

SenselessChiefsFan
01-11-2010, 02:12 PM
Cassel had his third offensive scheme in 8 months. Yeah, can't figure out why he struggled.

Gonzo
01-11-2010, 02:57 PM
This is like comparing AIDS to genital warts.

I could do without either one.

ROFL

Best comparison yet...
Posted via Mobile Device

kcfanXIII
01-11-2010, 03:02 PM
Bob Gretz: "There was about a difference of 175 degrees between how Gailey thought on offense and play calling and what Haley was looking for."

Sorta makes 2008 vs 2009 comparisons a bit of apples and oranges.

lets not forget, (which i'm sure has been mentioned a couple times but i'm not reading the thread) there was at least one hall of fame apple, compared to a bunch of oranges that nobody else wanted.

cmh6476
01-11-2010, 03:05 PM
so is cassel or thigpen the genital warts?

jAZ
01-11-2010, 03:05 PM
I don't understand why fans can't figure this out. Pioli and Haley wanted "their guys". Guys they knew could lead by example on the field and in the locker room. Who would play a central role in building a strong psyche among the 53 players.

That the team played hard from game 1 to game 16 tells me that there was wisdom in finding players like that.

Mecca
01-11-2010, 03:28 PM
To this point, "their guys" suck, Herms guys are the best players on the team.

GoHuge
01-11-2010, 03:41 PM

Posted via Mobile Device

acesn8s
01-11-2010, 04:31 PM
I don't care what QB is behind the line that we have, they will all suck because you can't throw a pass while being slammed to the ground in the backfield. Fix the OL then lets bitch about everyone else.

Chiefspants
01-11-2010, 09:15 PM
What about Welker for Matty? Brady was possibly not quite good as he has been in the past this year, but still ended up with two of the highest yardage totals in the NFL for WR's. Moss and Welker are a lethal combination where they feed off of each other. I don't think anybody here is saying they want Thiggy. I want to thank Deberg for making the hind site point. I meant my post in that way also. It's just that other than Charles really coming on, we don't know much more now than we did last year. Charles even needs a compliment so he doesn't get shot to hell next year carrying too much of the load. KC needs a Dallas-lite stable. They got lucky as hell. You think Barber, Felix or Choice could carry the load by themselves for the Cowboys and have that offense looking so deadly?

I am not defending "Matty" whatsoever, I am just would like to point out that I feel this is an inaccurate comparison when 50% of Thigpen's passes went in the way of Tony Gonzalez. Tony makes it an absolute dogfight whenever a pass is thrown his way, I believe if Thigpen had the options Matt had this year than their numbers would have ended up looking quite similar. Which, obviously, if Thigpen is matt's upside, then I am not speaking well of him at all.