PDA

View Full Version : Movies and TV Team Conan or Team Leno?

Thig Lyfe
01-12-2010, 02:08 PM
I figured this thread (http://chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=221324) needed a companion poll.

Pick your side and prepare... for the LATENIGHTOCALPYSE.

Tribal Warfare
01-12-2010, 02:09 PM
Conan

CoMoChief
01-12-2010, 02:11 PM
Masturbating Bear, Vomiting Kermit, Triumph, Frankenstein Wastes a Minute of Your Time, the Horny Manatee, The Interrupting Man, Camel Toe Annie, Abe Vigoda, etc.

How can you not vote for Conan???

The Franchise
01-12-2010, 02:11 PM
Team I don't give a flying fuck.

DaWolf
01-12-2010, 02:13 PM
Leno's jokes are usually lame, and Conan has been boring me of late every time I tune in. So I find better things to watch...

Simply Red
01-12-2010, 02:19 PM
nANCY gRACE first in!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11111111

Nixhex
01-12-2010, 02:22 PM
Conan for sure. Leno is an unfunny douche.

FD
01-12-2010, 02:26 PM
How can this even be a contest. Leno is one of the least funny people on Earth.

Cannibal
01-12-2010, 02:28 PM
Leno generally appeals to a geriatric audience.

pikesome
01-12-2010, 02:34 PM
Masturbating Bear, Vomiting Kermit, Triumph, Frankenstein Wastes a Minute of Your Time, the Horny Manatee, The Interrupting Man, Camel Toe Annie, Abe Vigoda, etc.

Um, I saw a list of why not around here somewhere... Oh yea, there it is.

His humor stopped being funny in third grade.

Leno ain't that great either, better than bad isn't good.

Fritz88
01-12-2010, 02:35 PM
dumb move by NBC

keg in kc
01-12-2010, 02:38 PM
Team?

Are you gay or a 12-year old girl?

wild1
01-12-2010, 02:41 PM
This poll will be skewed. The people who watch Leno are all either playing shuffleboard in the rec room, or waiting in line for their afternoon meds.

DMAC
01-12-2010, 02:41 PM
I'm on team turtle.

Cause I like turtles.

Jenson71
01-12-2010, 02:42 PM
Leno generally appeals to a geriatric audience.

The Greatest Generation for Leno!

Molitoth
01-12-2010, 02:43 PM
All Late night TV sucks imo.

Rasputin
01-12-2010, 02:48 PM
David Letterman by far is the best late night talk show host. you just can't beat his "top 10"

Conan is better than Jay Leno, Leno is lame.

DMAC
01-12-2010, 02:49 PM
All Late night TV sucks imo.As much as it PAINS me to say it...George Lopez on TBS isnt that bad. Even though I want it to be.

Last night he brushed his teeth with some Jack Daniels with some whore blonde.

CaliforniaChief
01-12-2010, 02:53 PM
Conan won my heart with the Central Time Zone New Year.

Baby Lee
01-12-2010, 03:05 PM
I bear no malice towards any of them, But Leno trails the pack.

Kimmel has the twisted sensibility of Corolla, with the composure of Costas. Not the funniest monologist, but lord help you if you catch yourself swapping off-the-cuff quips with him.

Ferguson is the most polished and funniest from a stand-up POV.

Conan is the best comedic mind. Not the best monologist either, but his 'bits,' be they skits, or characters, or set pieces are the most enduringly funny.

Dave is as sharp witted as Kimmel, but more reserved and crotchety in his delivery. With him, in an exchange of wits it's more what he verged on saying without actually saying, or what he intones that gets you, while Kimmel will straight spit it out. The zaniness of his early years has settled into a lazier spectacle of WTF [the meatball on the X-mas tree, the grinder girl, etc].

Leno is the 'According to Jim' of late night. Never offensive. Mild and breezily affable. But never biting or incisive either.

PunkinDrublic
01-12-2010, 03:14 PM
I think Leno can be funny if he wants to. I think the network forces him to water down his
act. I'd be bland and inoffensive for that kind of money.
Posted via Mobile Device

The Rick
01-12-2010, 03:16 PM
Just posting a link to what I posted on the other thread:

Conan released a statement saying he's NOT going to accept the proposed new schedule...

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showpost.php?p=6438162&postcount=155

DMAC
01-12-2010, 03:23 PM
Conan should go back and save The Simpsons.

ChiefsNWildcats
01-12-2010, 03:24 PM
CBS guy myself. I will take Letterman and Ferguson

TigerPig
01-12-2010, 03:26 PM
I was only team Conan when Andy was with him. Its like when the Beatles broke up, its just not the same when Paul and John are off doing their own thing.

If Andy comes back, I'll start watching. Until then I'll watch repeat episodes of Futurama on Comedy Central.

Baby Lee
01-12-2010, 03:28 PM
I was only team Conan when Andy was with him. Its like when the Beatles broke up, its just not the same when Paul and John are off doing their own thing.

If Andy comes back, I'll start watching. Until then I'll watch random stuff on Comedy Central or Spike

Andy's been back since they moved to 10:35.

morphius
01-12-2010, 03:30 PM
CBS guy myself. I will take Letterman and Ferguson
I caught Ferguson interviewing Steven Wright last week, that was awkward, yet strangely funny. I couldn't imagine how difficult it would be to interview Wright.

ChiefsOne
01-12-2010, 03:33 PM
I don't watch either, but have seen both and Leno more. Conan is the biggest dork I have ever seen on TV with a stupid haircut to match!

I wouldn't watch Conan if my only choices were he and Sesame Street!

Baby Lee
01-12-2010, 03:35 PM
I caught Ferguson interviewing Steven Wright last week, that was awkward, yet strangely funny. I couldn't imagine how difficult it would be to interview Wright.

My personal favorites come when Conan a woman who is pretty and smart. Maura Tierney or Lauren Graham. When they start flirting and he breaks out the wolf whistles and grooms his eyebrows. Always killer.

And who can forget

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/pqeqsBQ0wq0&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/pqeqsBQ0wq0&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

More Norm than Conan, but gold, Jerry GOLD!!!

TigerPig
01-12-2010, 03:38 PM
Andy's been back since they moved to 10:35.

But not the SAME Andy. Its different, like I said.

I posted this before, and I'll post it again. Where are these skits?
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/N3PGuce8LoY&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/N3PGuce8LoY&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/KIkdAEcf9PY&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/KIkdAEcf9PY&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Dayze
01-12-2010, 04:12 PM
my favorite 'recent' skit Conan does is "Conando" (I think that's what it's called".
does the entire bit in Spanish to appeal to the spanish audience in LA lol.

Mr. Flopnuts
01-12-2010, 04:39 PM

Great................He's fucked.

Reaper16
01-12-2010, 05:09 PM
Team Conan, duh. This poll should have been public so we can see who to chastise.

Stewie
01-12-2010, 05:11 PM
I don't get to watch much late night TV since I usually go into work early, BUT when I have a bout of insomnia I'll always catch Craig Ferguson. The guy is hilarious. He does a decent interview, too. Letterman had NEVER figured out how to interview anyone. Leno is just lame.

Psyko Tek
01-12-2010, 05:19 PM
As much as it PAINS me to say it...George Lopez on TBS isnt that bad. Even though I want it to be.

Last night he brushed his teeth with some Jack Daniels with some whore blonde.

I wish my last night was that good

Pablo
01-12-2010, 05:45 PM
Team Edward or Team Jacob.

You have to choose. Do you love vampires with huge chins or ginger werewolves?

PICK YOUR POISON.

Sure-Oz
01-12-2010, 05:49 PM
Team Conan, duh. This poll should have been public so we can see who to chastise.

no kidding

Sure-Oz
01-12-2010, 05:49 PM

PICK YOUR POISON.

TEAM NA'VI!111111111111111111111111

Mojo Jojo
01-12-2010, 06:24 PM
Conan WAS funny at 12:30 but sucks at 11:30. Viewership is down....revenue is down...moving Conan to 11:30 was dumb. Sad thing is that Jimmy Fallon is holding Conan's old numbers. Says a lot more about the viewers than the host.

Ralphy Boy
01-12-2010, 07:10 PM
In the year two thousand.
In the year two thousand!!!!!!

Ralphy Boy
01-12-2010, 07:17 PM
Leno must have some dirt on someone. First he gets the Tonight Show and Dave leaves for CBS, now Conan. I can't stand Leno.

RJ
01-12-2010, 07:36 PM
I'm with the WGAF crowd. Haven't seen either show in years.

Extra Point
01-12-2010, 07:39 PM
How about when this poll's cooked, a poll between O'Brien and Letterman?

el borracho
01-12-2010, 07:54 PM

PICK YOUR POISON.

Haha! My 14 year old niece was out to visit this Christmas and we played some Twilight trivia game. I don't know the first thing about the books/movies but it was pretty funny to wind her up by talking nonsense and guessing everything wrong. Of course, she might not have thought it so funny, lol. Funny what kids think is important.

el borracho
01-12-2010, 07:56 PM
Oh, and to answer the original question, I have never seen Leno say or do anything even remotely entertaining.

Thig Lyfe
01-12-2010, 07:59 PM
Team?

Are you gay or a 12-year old girl?

It's a play on the whole Team Edward/Jacob thing from Twilight. Unfortunately, I can't take credit for it.

Conan won my heart with the Central Time Zone New Year.

Same here. That used to be what I watched every year. Now there's nothing for us CSTers.

I know, I know. I realized that the moment I hit "submit."

ChiefJustice
01-12-2010, 08:05 PM
People of Earth:
In the last few days, I've been getting a lot of sympathy calls, and I want to start by making it clear that no one should waste a second feeling sorry for me. For 17 years, I've been getting paid to do what I love most and, in a world with real problems, I've been absurdly lucky. That said, I've been suddenly put in a very public predicament and my bosses are demanding an immediate decision.
Six years ago, I signed a contract with NBC to take over The Tonight Show in June of 2009. Like a lot of us, I grew up watching Johnny Carson every night and the chance to one day sit in that chair has meant everything to me. I worked long and hard to get that opportunity, passed up far more lucrative offers, and since 2004 I have spent literally hundreds of hours thinking of ways to extend the franchise long into the future. It was my mistaken belief that, like my predecessor, I would have the benefit of some time and, just as important, some degree of ratings support from the prime-time schedule. Building a lasting audience at 11:30 is impossible without both.
But sadly, we were never given that chance. After only seven months, with my Tonight Show in its infancy, NBC has decided to react to their terrible difficulties in prime-time by making a change in their long-established late night schedule.
Last Thursday, NBC executives told me they intended to move the Tonight Show to 12:05 to accommodate the Jay Leno Show at 11:35. For 60 years the Tonight Show has aired immediately following the late local news. I sincerely believe that delaying the Tonight Show into the next day to accommodate another comedy program will seriously damage what I consider to be the greatest franchise in the history of broadcasting. The Tonight Show at 12:05 simply isn't the Tonight Show. Also, if I accept this move I will be knocking the Late Night show, which I inherited from David Letterman and passed on to Jimmy Fallon, out of its long-held time slot. That would hurt the other NBC franchise that I love, and it would be unfair to Jimmy.
So it has come to this: I cannot express in words how much I enjoy hosting this program and what an enormous personal disappointment it is for me to consider losing it. My staff and I have worked unbelievably hard and we are very proud of our contribution to the legacy of The Tonight Show. But I cannot participate in what I honestly believe is its destruction. Some people will make the argument that with DVRs and the Internet a time slot doesn't matter. But with the Tonight Show, I believe nothing could matter more.
There has been speculation about my going to another network but, to set the record straight, I currently have no other offer and honestly have no idea what happens next. My hope is that NBC and I can resolve this quickly so that my staff, crew, and I can do a show we can be proud of, for a company that values our work.
Have a great day and, for the record, I am truly sorry about my hair; it's always been that way.
Yours,
Conan

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/01/12/conan-obrien-statement-i_n_420521.html

Sure-Oz
01-12-2010, 08:06 PM
Conan O'Brien rejects moving 'The Tonight Show'

By LYNN ELBER, AP Television Writer Lynn Elber, Ap Television Writer – 47 mins ago

LOS ANGELES – Conan O'Brien has refused to play along with NBC's plan to move "The Tonight Show" and return Jay Leno to late-night, abruptly derailing the network's effort to resolve its scheduling mess.

O'Brien said in a statement Tuesday that shifting "Tonight" will "seriously damage what I consider to be the greatest franchise in the history of broadcasting," and he expressed disappointment that NBC had given him less than a year to establish himself as host at 11:35 p.m. EST.

He doesn't have an offer in hand from another network, O'Brien said. Fox, which lacks a network late-night show, has expressed its appreciation for him but said this week that no negotiations have been held.

In his statement, wryly addressed to "People of Earth," the comic knocked his network's prime-time ratings woes, which stem in part from the poor performance of Leno's new prime-time show. "The Jay Leno Show" debuted in the fall after Leno surrendered his 17-year stake in the "Tonight" last spring to O'Brien.

"It was my mistaken belief that, like my predecessor, I would have the benefit of some time and, just as important, some degree of ratings support from the prime-time schedule. Building a lasting audience at 11:30 is impossible without both," O'Brien said.

"But sadly, we were never given that chance. After only seven months, with my 'Tonight Show' in its infancy, NBC has decided to react to their terrible difficulties in prime-time by making a change in their long-established late night schedule.

Growing up watching "Tonight" host Johnny Carson and getting the chance to "one day sit in that chair has meant everything to me," and was an opportunity he worked long and hard to obtain, O'Brien said.

"Tonight" has long been the dominant late-night program on television, with O'Brien following in a line of hosts that included Steve Allen, Jack Paar, Johnny Carson and Leno. For many of those years, an appearance on "Tonight," particularly for comics, could make or break a career.

NBC wants to move Leno out of prime-time and to the 11:35 p.m. slot with a half-hour show, bumping "Tonight" to 12:05 a.m. — the latest it's ever regularly aired. The network was under pressure to make a change from its affiliate stations, who found Leno's show an inadequate ratings lead-in for their lucrative local newscasts.

Online, many took to O'Brien's defense and applauded the host's stand against NBC. "Team Conan" was one of the most popular Twitter topics Tuesday afternoon, as young viewers pledged their allegiance to O'Brien.

An O'Brien portrait also circulated as a badge of support. Referring to the "Tonight" show host's playful nickname, it read, "I'm with Coco," and featured a black-and-white picture of a regal-looking O'Brien standing in front of an American flag. The only color: his shock of orange hair.

It doesn't make sense for NBC to try and hold him to a contract, said John Rash, a media analyst for the Chicago advertising firm Campbell & Mithun.

"An unhappy comedian is not a good premise for a program," Rash said.

Jody Simon, an entertainment lawyer with Peter Rubin & Simon, said it's very likely that O'Brien and NBC will reach some sort of settlement that might require him to refrain from working at another late-night show for a certain time.

He expected O'Brien will not boycott his show, despite the expressed desire to quit.

"Until this is settled, I would be surprised if he said he wasn't going to show up for work," Simon said. "It would be unprofessional and would expose him to liability."

The late-night shuffle has played out amid wide speculation that O'Brien might bolt for Fox. And the network's top entertainment executive, Kevin Reilly, said on Monday, "I love Conan personally and professionally."

Fox has had trouble launching late-night shows in the past, with Chevy Chase and Joan Rivers as notable failures. O'Brien offers the advantage of being a proven performer with a team experienced in putting on a show.

"Certainly Conan has a loyal audience and he's been able to effectively position himself as a victim of NBC's schedule shuffle," said Rash, who added that the tone of O'Brien's show seems to fit Fox's brand better than it does NBC's.

ABC's top entertainment executive, Stephen McPherson, said his network had no interest in O'Brien. ABC would have sought Leno if he hit the open market, but its executives believe that O'Brien's show is so close in tone to Letterman's that it wouldn't be good competition.

Fox declined comment Tuesday on O'Brien's statement, but it is taking action that would indicate the network is seriously considering bringing him to late-night, a period now largely filled by a variety of syndicated fare that includes network reruns.

Fox is asking some of its stations to study and report back on how much money is made with current late-night programming, according to a person familiar with the request. The person spoke on condition of anonymity because the person was not authorized to publicly discuss the request.

The syndication agreements that are in place are a costly sticking point if Fox wants to put in a late-night show across the network, the person said.

It might not be easy for affiliate stations to break profitable syndication agreements, said analyst Rash.

NBC announced the "Tonight Show" succession plan in 2004, well before Leno's departure, to try to avoid the Leno-David Letterman battle that ensued when Carson retired. (On his CBS "Late Show" Tuesday, Letterman joked that he received a call from NBC with the message, "Look, look, we still don't want you back.'") But it didn't count on Leno remaining atop the late-night ratings when he was pushed out of "Tonight."

To keep Leno from becoming a late-night competitor to O'Brien at another network, NBC offered him the daily 10 p.m. EST prime-time series. The network also saw it as an opportunity for cost-cutting, with a talk show considerably cheaper to produce than the scripted dramas that typically fill the final hour of prime-time.

"Tonight" with O'Brien is averaging 2.5 million nightly viewers, compared with 4.2 for Letterman's "Late Show," according to Nielsen figures. And the younger audience that O'Brien was expected to woo has been largely unimpressed; O'Brien and Letterman tie among advertiser-favored viewers ages 18 to 49.

Leno was drawing around 5 million viewers to "Tonight," about the same number now watching his new show.

O'Brien said he hoped that he and NBC could resolve the issue quickly so he could do a show of which he and his crew could be proud — "for a company that values our work" — raising the possibility he might go to another network.

NBC declined comment Tuesday, adding that O'Brien was scheduled to do his show Tuesday night. Leno also declined comment.

For O'Brien, it's been a stark contrast to early in his career, when he was an unknown replacing David Letterman in the 12:30 a.m. slot. He suffered brutal reviews, tough ratings and was working on a week-to-week contract. But NBC's management then stuck with him, and he blossomed into a proven performer.

The network had been counting on O'Brien's cooperation, and wanted an answer quickly, so it could get the revamped schedule ready to begin airing after NBC broadcasts the Winter Olympics, which will dominate NBC's schedule from Feb. 12-28.

O'Brien noted in his statement that he'd received sympathy calls and added that no one should feel sorry for him because he's been "absurdly lucky" to do what he loves most in a world with real problems.

He ended the statement with a punch line: "Have a great day and, for the record, I am truly sorry about my hair; it's always been that way."

Bill Lawrence, executive producer of ABC's "Scrubs" and "Cougar Town," said he was impressed by O'Brien's letter.

"I'm sure it's going to lead to good things for him," he said.

Extra Point
01-12-2010, 08:11 PM
Does NBC's management like real Coke or Throw-Back Pepsi?

Rausch
01-12-2010, 08:13 PM
I don't know that I've ever seen Leno on anything and laughed.

Ever.

He isn't funny, he's a facilitator.

He's like fiber...

TigerPig
01-12-2010, 08:14 PM
Bill Lawrence, executive producer of ABC's "Scrubs" and "Cougar Town," said he was impressed by O'Brien's letter.

COUGAR TOWN!?! They made a show about old women trying to get laid by men half of their age?

Frazod
01-12-2010, 08:15 PM
Why "Team Leno" or "Team Conan"? Aren't they both on "Team Getting Fucked By NBC"?

Everybody's ripping on Leno like this was his idea. I'm fairly sure it wasn't. He seems just as annoyed by this as O'Brien.

Thig Lyfe
01-12-2010, 08:31 PM
Why "Team Leno" or "Team Conan"? Aren't they both on "Team Getting Fucked By NBC"?

Everybody's ripping on Leno like this was his idea. I'm fairly sure it wasn't. He seems just as annoyed by this as O'Brien.

The classy thing for Leno to do would have been to step away, which is what he agreed to do five years ago when they announced Conan would get the Tonight show.

Sure-Oz
01-12-2010, 08:40 PM
Why "Team Leno" or "Team Conan"? Aren't they both on "Team Getting ****ed By NBC"?

I am really not sure Jay is so innocent though, it could be my bias towards conan, but he isn't thrilled with Jay. NBC is epic fail with this situation

Frazod
01-12-2010, 08:46 PM
I recommended this to BK the other day, and I'll recommend it now to everybody else - if you've never seen the HBO movie "The Late Shift," you should check it out (it is on DVD). It's about the initial battle between Leno and Letterman for the Tonight Show and all the weaselish shit that went on behind the scenes. Obviously has no bearing on anything current, except to show what kind of scumbags these people are.

morphius
01-12-2010, 08:47 PM
The classy thing for Leno to do would have been to step away, which is what he agreed to do five years ago when they announced Conan would get the Tonight show.
Well, he was going to go to a different network, but NBC tossed a bunch of money at him to stay. Of course with all the Conan love I'm surprised he is putting up half the numbers of the sucky Leno. Of course losing to Letterman is embarrassing

Sure-Oz
01-12-2010, 08:47 PM
I recommended this to BK the other day, and I'll recommend it now to everybody else - if you've never seen the HBO movie "The Late Shift," you should check it out (it is on DVD). It's about the initial battle between Leno and Letterman for the Tonight Show and all the weaselish shit that went on behind the scenes. Obviously has no bearing on anything current, except to show what kind of scumbags these people are.

I think i saw that a long time ago, can't remember but i believe it is a book too. I heard Leno was a weasel and dave, well he fucks around

Frazod
01-12-2010, 08:49 PM
I think i saw that a long time ago, can't remember but i believe it is a book too. I heard Leno was a weasel and dave, well he fucks around

Leno's agent was essentially The Devil. Helped shove Carson out the door, then completely undercut Letterman.

But even on his own, Leno knows how to take care of himself.

Thig Lyfe
01-12-2010, 08:55 PM
Well, he was going to go to a different network, but NBC tossed a bunch of money at him to stay. Of course with all the Conan love I'm surprised he is putting up half the numbers of the sucky Leno. Of course losing to Letterman is embarrassing

At this point, I don't know why NBC wouldn't just let Jay go wherever he wants. If his audience won't follow him to a new timeslot, I really doubt they follow him to a whole new network.

mlyonsd
01-12-2010, 08:56 PM
I rarely watch any of them but if you like Conan you probably like watching sock puppet mimes. The guy's only schtik is his unusually large red head.

Thig Lyfe
01-12-2010, 08:59 PM
I rarely watch any of them but if you like Conan you probably like watching sock puppet mimes. The guy's only schtik is his unusually large red head.

What the fuck is a sock puppet mime?

morphius
01-12-2010, 09:04 PM
At this point, I don't know why NBC wouldn't just let Jay go wherever he wants. If his audience won't follow him to a new timeslot, I really doubt they follow him to a whole new network.
This from the article posted by Sure-Oz

Leno was drawing around 5 million viewers to "Tonight," about the same number now watching his new show.So obviously it did follow him and it is twice as large as Conan's audience.

chiefzilla1501
01-12-2010, 10:34 PM
Conan WAS funny at 12:30 but sucks at 11:30. Viewership is down....revenue is down...moving Conan to 11:30 was dumb. Sad thing is that Jimmy Fallon is holding Conan's old numbers. Says a lot more about the viewers than the host.

I agree with you.

But Conan was also killing in the younger demographic and stealing a lot of Letterman's audience.

NBC is fucking stupid. They chose Leno because he caters to a crowd that's dying off. They're basically the TV version of Reader's Digest.

Frazod
01-12-2010, 10:46 PM
I think it's safe to say that Letterman is on Team Conan. I only caught the end of his monologue, but damn...... LMAO

KcMizzou
01-12-2010, 10:49 PM
I think it's safe to say that Letterman is on Team Conan. I only caught the end of his monologue, but damn...... LMAOAh damn... I missed that. Wish I hadn't.

Iowanian
01-12-2010, 10:51 PM
Team Conan.

He's always been unique for latenight and is funny as hell.

He's getting screwed, and he's taking it head on, like a champ tonight. I love how he's backhanding NBC and Leno tonight.

Frazod
01-12-2010, 10:53 PM
Ah damn... I missed that. Wish I hadn't.

He's still on it. :D

Sure-Oz
01-12-2010, 11:00 PM
I'm surprised NBC doesn't edit his monologue, its funny listening to him rip NBC

KcMizzou
01-12-2010, 11:01 PM
Letterman : "Show business is High School with money."

Frazod
01-12-2010, 11:02 PM
I'm surprised NBC doesn't edit his monologue, its funny listening to him rip NBC

If they did that it would only make it worse. They're fucked no matter what they do.

Sure-Oz
01-12-2010, 11:02 PM
If they did that it would only make it worse. They're ****ed no matter what they do.

It does make great tv...conan def. isn't holding back.

Frazod
01-12-2010, 11:03 PM
Letterman : "Show business is High School with money."

He also had a bit pimping a new show to fill Leno's slot - Law & Order: Leno Victim's Unit. The opening line: "In late night TV, there are two types of hosts - Jay Leno, and those who have been victimized by Jay Leno."

LMAO

sportsman1
01-12-2010, 11:29 PM
I have never watched Conan but decided to tonight.. quite entertaining. Nothing like hearing the tards at NBC ripped on, and his show doesn't seem that bad, I'm half-way entertained.

01-13-2010, 12:19 AM
Conan FTW!!!!

I hope he rips NBC every night until his final airing.

T-post Tom
01-13-2010, 01:05 AM
On the positive side, I have learned a valuable lesson from all this: never sign a contract that ends with the word "NOT."

~Conan

T-post Tom
01-13-2010, 01:07 AM
As I mentioned, NBC is shaking up its late night lineup yet again. They want to move Jay Leno back to 11:35. And there are a lot of rumors about what I'm going to do.

I've got a lot of options. I thought I'd share some of them with you right now..

I could...

*Host the Tonight Show at 12:05

*Star in a Lifetime original movie about a woman trapped in an abusive relationship with her network.

*Go to ABC and star in a male redhead version of 'Cougartown' called 'Redwolf Village'.

*Host a show on B.E.T. called 'White All Night'.

*Move to FOX and follow their hit "24" with a new show called "24:05."

*Televise my own colonoscopy on the Bravo Channel in a show called 'Project Funway'.

*Convince NBC to let me keep this time slot if I can gain 10 pounds of chin.

*Andy and I will become a team of wacky morning DJ's called 'Big Red And The Booger'.

*Pretend to put my son in a giant foil balloon, then sit back and watch the offers come pouring in!

*Perform the show live every night from Zanies Comedy Club at 7:30 and 9:30. (1/2 price drinks if you tell 'em "Coco" sent ya!)

*Bring sanity back to NBC by hiring Gary Busey as head of programming.

*Leave television altogether and work in a classier business with better people, like hard core porn.

buddha
01-13-2010, 05:20 AM
Neither compare to Letterman when he was younger. When Late Night first came on the air, it was fresher than spring grass. He took what Carson did, made fun of it, and then came up with his own things. Leno isn't funny and never has been. Conan can be funny, but he's pretty hit or miss for me.

Mojo Jojo
01-13-2010, 06:25 AM
I agree with you.

But Conan was also killing in the younger demographic and stealing a lot of Letterman's audience.

NBC is ****ing stupid. They chose Leno because he caters to a crowd that's dying off. They're basically the TV version of Reader's Digest.

Just a couple of things....

Conan is doing well in the male 18-34 demo...about the worst demo to sell to advertisers. Hence the lost money.

Dave is taking viewers from NBC, not the other way around. For the first time since the Hugh Grant interview Dave is #1 in the time slot. Conan is second and in some markets third for viewers. Conan at 11:30 has failed beyond belief.

Param
01-13-2010, 06:40 AM
He's getting screwed, and he's taking it head on, like a champ tonight. I love how he's backhanding NBC and Leno tonight.

Leno did the same thing.

Conan sucks on the tonight show. Not surprised at all his ratings are down and he's getting hammered. It's all about the $$$ and Conan didn't bring it. Makes total sense to move Jay back to the time slot and kick Conan to the curb.

chiefzilla1501
01-13-2010, 06:53 AM
Just a couple of things....

Conan is doing well in the male 18-34 demo...about the worst demo to sell to advertisers. Hence the lost money.

Dave is taking viewers from NBC, not the other way around. For the first time since the Hugh Grant interview Dave is #1 in the time slot. Conan is second and in some markets third for viewers. Conan at 11:30 has failed beyond belief.

I think the point to be made is that this is supposed to be a long-term move, not a short-term one.

If Fox bids for Conan, mark it down, they're going to dominate late night in about 10 years.

And the failures of the two shows are largely to blame on the NBC producers who tried to jam an unworking formula to both shows. Leno's show would have gotten better ratings if they geared the show to more of a primetime audience. Conan's show would have gotten much better ratings if they didn't force Conan to do 80% monologue, 20% shortskit stuff in the beginning of each show. Anybody who watches Conan knows he's not good at the monologuing

Both shows would have done a hell of a lot better if someone with half of a brain was running it.

Mojo Jojo
01-13-2010, 07:00 AM
I think the point to be made is that this is supposed to be a long-term move, not a short-term one.

If Fox bids for Conan, mark it down, they're going to dominate late night in about 10 years.

And the failures of the two shows are largely to blame on the NBC producers who tried to jam an unworking formula to both shows. Leno's show would have gotten better ratings if they geared the show to more of a primetime audience. Conan's show would have gotten much better ratings if they didn't force Conan to do 80% monologue, 20% shortskit stuff in the beginning of each show. Anybody who watches Conan knows he's not good at the monologuing

Both shows would have done a hell of a lot better if someone with half of a brain was running it.

FOX won't wait 10 years to dominate. If Conan goes and isn't #1/maybe #2 in 18 months he is out the door. NBC was looking to get rid of Jay after 18 months then the Hugh Grant interview fell in his lap. Dave wasn't going to resigned y CBS until ABC came along.

All TV decisions are short term. Make money today or find a new job.

Inspector
01-13-2010, 08:27 AM
The last time I could stay up late enough to watch late night TV, Jack Parr was my favorite.

Is he still on?

vailpass
01-13-2010, 10:05 AM
Conan and it isn't even close. Then Letterman. Then Kimmel. Then anyone else. Then Leno.

FD
01-13-2010, 12:31 PM
Leno did the same thing.

Conan sucks on the tonight show. Not surprised at all his ratings are down and he's getting hammered. It's all about the $$$ and Conan didn't bring it. Makes total sense to move Jay back to the time slot and kick Conan to the curb.

Conan's show was actually doing very well until Leno's new show started. The terrible ratings from the lead-in Leno is whats hurting the affiliates and is hurting Conan's ratings. There might also be an effect where the two shows are still pretty similar and so the market for that is saturated.

Mojo Jojo
01-13-2010, 01:07 PM
Conan's show was actually doing very well until Leno's new show started. The terrible ratings from the lead-in Leno is whats hurting the affiliates and is hurting Conan's ratings. There might also be an effect where the two shows are still pretty similar and so the market for that is saturated.

Lead-in numbers are just an excuse. Take KC as an example....

When NBC was #1 at 9:00 KSHB news was 3 or 4 at 10:00
CBS has bad 9:00 numbers yet KCTV 10:00 news is always 1 or 2
Affiliates only complain about lead-ins when local programs are failing...you never hear a local station claim "we're #1 because of the lead-in."

Baby Lee
01-13-2010, 01:21 PM
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/2-dAlugJQE4&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/2-dAlugJQE4&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

ziggysocki
01-13-2010, 02:41 PM
Team they both suck. Sorry if repost, which since they do is pretty likely, but I didn't feel like scanning the thread.

Extra Point
01-13-2010, 03:21 PM
NBC has a big job ahead, eating the crow over Leno. Pay the man, and put him to pasture. Leno asked for everything he got. They'll just have to be more creative in filling the primetime slots that Leno leaves.