PDA

View Full Version : Danario Alexander?

TigerPig
01-12-2010, 07:18 PM
Why is he projected so much lower than Maclin when he had better numbers?

I don't get it. I'm not saying the Chiefs should get him (even though it's not like he isn't a great player and our WRs aren't weak, lol), but from a pure scouting standpoint why isn't he a low one?

KCrockaholic
01-12-2010, 07:24 PM
Maclin had the raw talent, and everybody was looking for the next DeSean Jackson. Alexander does not have great speed, and his hands aren't as polished as Maclins were. Maclin also was a kick returner, so that helped raise his stock, just like Percy Harvin.

I like Alexander a lot. I would love to take a stab at him in round 3, but I can easily see why Maclin was rated higher. You have to remember, stats in a spread offense rarely mean anything.

Mr. Laz
01-12-2010, 07:41 PM
Maclin had the raw talent, and everybody was looking for the next DeSean Jackson. Alexander does not have great speed, and his hands aren't as polished as Maclins were. Maclin also was a kick returner, so that helped raise his stock, just like Percy Harvin.

I like Alexander a lot. I would love to take a stab at him in round 3, but I can easily see why Maclin was rated higher. You have to remember, stats in a spread offense rarely mean anything.alexander has had some knee issues and he looks a little skinny as well

KCrockaholic
01-12-2010, 07:42 PM
alexander has had some knee issues and he looks a little skinny as well

True I forgot. His injury history is horrible.

Ralphy Boy
01-12-2010, 08:11 PM

I like Alexander a lot. I would love to take a stab at him in round 3, but I can easily see why Maclin was rated higher. You have to remember, stats in a spread offense rarely mean anything.

I too like Alexander a lot but he is not anywhere near as talented as Maclin. He isn't nearly fast enough and has had injury concerns. He's likely to slip into the late 2nd, early 3rd round. I could see him being a very good #2 but he's got some work to do.

Maclin was a dynamic kick and punt returner, in addition to being a very good receiver. He came 2 yards shy of breaking the NCAA record for kick return yards in a season. He had the highest average kick returns in a game of any returner since the 70's. He averaged over 200 all purpose yards per game all thru college. He had 2,700 all purpose yards in 2007 and 2,800 in 2008. He did all of that in just 2 years. The sky is the limit on what he can do but you knew when you drafted him that you were getting a great football player that could help your team in a multitude of ways.

Harvin never attempted a kick or punt return in college, though because he had been a WR & RB at Florida, most people thought he had the ability to be a very good return man.

matts22
01-12-2010, 10:54 PM
Maclin had a knee injury at Mizzou as well (torn ACL). The fact that Alexander's surgical graft failed has nothing to do with him being injury prone. It just means that the graft was not as good. It happens.

I think Alexander's hands are at least as good as Maclin's...maybe better.

The reason he is not a consensus 1st round pick has more to do with the fact that he was only productive for one year (though he was REALLY productive) and most people think that he is not that fast.

Personally, I think he plays faster than he might time, has perfect WR size, great hands, good jumping ability, and great at getting YAC (IIRC his TDs averaged over 40 yards per reception). I really hope that he is available with our 3rd round pick, but I think he'll get taken in the 2nd round.

TigerPig
01-12-2010, 11:13 PM
Thanks, guys. Like I've said before, I SUCK at gauging talent. You all better be glad you don't have me as your scout, cause I'd either end up f*cking us all over, or turning to ESPN when we were on the clock to see what Mel Kiper wanted me to do... probably both since Mel sucks.

'Hamas' Jenkins
01-12-2010, 11:51 PM
Alexander has Marques Colston and Vincent Jackson type upside.

buddha
01-13-2010, 04:53 AM
He does have that kind of upside, but I still have plenty of questions about DA's toughness and his durability. He had a great year this year, but Gabbert locked on to him like no other.

As for Alexander vs. Maclin...? Please...there is simply no comparison. There's a reason why Maclin was a two-time All American. You could make a case for Maclin being the greatest all around player Missouri has ever produced. You might not even put Alexander in the top 10 receivers in Missouri history.

KCrockaholic
01-13-2010, 01:02 PM
He does have that kind of upside, but I still have plenty of questions about DA's toughness and his durability. He had a great year this year, but Gabbert locked on to him like no other.

As for Alexander vs. Maclin...? Please...there is simply no comparison. There's a reason why Maclin was a two-time All American. You could make a case for Maclin being the greatest all around player Missouri has ever produced. You might not even put Alexander in the top 10 receivers in Missouri history.

IDK about that. That would be a foolish statement. I think he is at the least one of Mizzou's top 10 WR's.

CoMoChief
01-13-2010, 01:15 PM

He needs to put on some weight......w/o dropping quickness/speed.

CoMoChief
01-13-2010, 01:18 PM
IDK about that. That would be a foolish statement. I think he is at the least one of Mizzou's top 10 WR's.

If you count TE's as receivers

Maclin
Rucker
Coffman
Winslow
Gage

Most of that group's just in the past 6-7 years, except Winslow. you think Alexander belongs in that category, especially if you wanna go back 50 yrs or so?

kepp
01-13-2010, 01:28 PM
Those saying Alexander isn't fast and/or tough haven't watched him play this year. At least half (and probably more) of his yards were after the catch - YAC. He was running away from secondaries - entire secondaries - all season. His numbers before the knee injury: sub 4.4 40 and 45" vertical. Obviously those will drop a bit because of the injury, and his combine numbers will play a big part in where he gets drafted. And as for him needing to add weight...he's the exact size of Randy Moss.

As for comparing him to Maclin...they're just different players. Maclin was drafted so high because he was a game breaker in multiple phases of the game - receiving, rushing, return game.

matts22
01-13-2010, 08:10 PM
You might not even put Alexander in the top 10 receivers in Missouri history.

If you count TE's as receivers

Maclin
Rucker
Coffman
Winslow
Gage

Most of that group's just in the past 6-7 years, except Winslow. you think Alexander belongs in that category, especially if you wanna go back 50 yrs or so?

Wow...I don't even know what to say without it being terribly insulting. So I guess I'll give you some facts.

1. Alexander holds the MU single season records for receptions (113), yardage (1781), and TD (14).

2. He also holds the MU career record for yardage (2778), while being 4th in receptions (191), and 2nd in TDs (22).

3. Except for Winslow, Pinkel coached all of the WR/TE listed above and he was quoted saying that he has only coached 2 players who were truly game-changers: Maclin and Alexander

4. He is the only player in Mizzou history to have 200 yards receiving in back-to-back games. He was only 27 yards short of doing it for a THIRD game in a row. The next game, he AGAIN went for over 200 yards. He had games earlier in the season in which he was only 20 and 30 yards short of 200 yards receiving for the game. Prior to this season, there were only four times in school history when a receiver had over 200 yards.

Yet, you guys think he might not even be in the top TEN in school history?!

Again...WOW.

TigerPig
01-13-2010, 10:54 PM
Wow...I don't even know what to say without it being terribly insulting. So I guess I'll give you some facts.

1. Alexander holds the MU single season records for receptions (113), yardage (1781), and TD (14).

2. He also holds the MU career record for yardage (2778), while being 4th in receptions (191), and 2nd in TDs (22).

3. Except for Winslow, Pinkel coached all of the WR/TE listed above and he was quoted saying that he has only coached 2 players who were truly game-changers: Maclin and Alexander

4. He is the only player in Mizzou history to have 200 yards receiving in back-to-back games. He was only 27 yards short of doing it for a THIRD game in a row. The next game, he AGAIN went for over 200 yards. He had games earlier in the season in which he was only 20 and 30 yards short of 200 yards receiving for the game. Prior to this season, there were only four times in school history when a receiver had over 200 yards.

Again...WOW.

Spread offenses inflate numbers, but even if you take it down a few notches he's still up there.

Another fun question is whether or not Winslow or Maclin is a better college receiver. Before answering Maclin immediately...think about it.

Mr. Laz
01-13-2010, 11:18 PM
I think Alexander has HUGE UPSIDE and i hope the Chiefs grab him in the middle rounds.

but he does have some red flags

RustShack
01-13-2010, 11:20 PM
I'll pass on this Mizzou over-hyped prospect. Then again I read on Chiefs Planet about all of these great Mizzou talents so who knows ROFL

Sure-Oz
01-13-2010, 11:50 PM
I'll pass on this Mizzou over-hyped prospect. Then again I read on Chiefs Planet about all of these great Mizzou talents so who knows ROFL
Over hyped? did you watch the kid play? I think he has potential in the NFL if he can stay healthy

kcchiefsus
01-14-2010, 12:05 AM
Over hyped? did you watch the kid play? I think he has potential in the NFL if he can stay healthy

He's a fan of the worst school in the big 12, do you really expect him to know much about anything (besides how to fuck a goat)?

TigerPig
01-14-2010, 12:18 AM
He's a fan of the worst school in the big 12, do you really expect him to know much about anything (besides how to **** a goat)?

By calling Iowa state the worst school in the Big 12, you just offended the entire city of Waco. :)

Though supposedly they have a great medicine program.

KCrockaholic
01-14-2010, 12:26 AM

Again...WOW.

Great post from a guy who knows more about Mizzou than myself!

kepp
01-14-2010, 04:47 PM

Yeah, he didn't do anything against that cyclone defense, did he?

Ralphy Boy
01-15-2010, 10:46 PM

I would think he has the ability to be every bit as much success as these two. At his worst, he's Justin Gage.

Any comparison of him to Randy Moss is just foolish. He is nowhere near as fast or talented. I like the kid, but get real.

RustShack
01-16-2010, 12:08 AM
I forgot, college success always translates to NFL success ROFL

Oh and for the record, Iowa State is winning the North next year. Bank on it.

beer bacon
01-16-2010, 09:39 PM

lol

beer bacon
01-16-2010, 09:46 PM
Alexander had the best single season ever for a Missouri receiver. He has good straight line speed. It has already been said, but he had a ton of long plays this season where he outran the entire opposing defense, and most of the time made a few guys with angles on him look like idiots. He averaged just under 50 yards per TD reception, and that was way better than any of the other big name receivers this season.

I think he will do better on the 40 than people expect, and he has a great vertical. He has caught the injury prone label, so that will hurt him quite a bit. Alexander had a much receiving season than Maclin ever had, but of course Maclin brought a lot on special teams as well.

I think NFL scouts will be concerned that Alexander won't be able to get separation on short or intermediate routes, but Alexander is also the type of receiver that you can throw the ball to, even if he looks covered, and he will go get the ball anyways, break a tackle, and pick up some YAC.

kepp
01-16-2010, 10:26 PM

Yeah, I'll take that one straight to the bank, CoMo.

DJ's left nut
01-18-2010, 10:11 AM
The 'toughness' knock on Alexander is a strange one.

If Alexander and Maclin ended up in a cage match, I'd take Alexander every time. Maclin seemed to constantly be gingerly leaving the field with a ding or a nick. I still don't know how well he'll hold up in the NFL.

Alexander was a rock out there. He went over the middle when asked, took some hits (because DBs knew where the ball was going) and came out for more. Alexander is a very tough WR, IMO.

I also think he has better hands than Maclin.

Maclin has the edge in raw upside because he's a much quicker player than Alexander. Over 100 yards I think the two are comparable, but Maclin's much faster to 20 and he's quicker in and out of his breaks. Alexander's more of a long strider/loper. He plays faster than he times, but he still doesn't possess the quickness that an elite WR does; Maclin does.

Ultimately Maclin has more upside but I'd take Alexander with our 3rd rounder without thinking twice. He'll be a steady WR for a long time, IMO. A guy like Mushin Muhammad comes to mind. At only 21 yrs old, Alexander should put on another 20 lbs or so just due to maturity. At 6'5'', 230 he'd be quite the target and a pretty tough matchup to deal with.