PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Confirmed by multiple sources: Crennel to Chiefs

ComfortablyNumb
01-13-2010, 08:15 AM
http://twitter.com/caplannfl

So Weis, Crennel, Pioli back together again. Where's Ben Coates?
16 minutes ago from TweetDeck

As noted over past few days, MIA, WAS, BUF, NYG also showed interest in him.
16 minutes ago from TweetDeck

Expected to be their defensive coordinator. Whether Clancy Pendergast has been reassigned remains to be seen.
17 minutes ago from TweetDeck

Finally confirmed, Romeo Crennel has agreed to join the #Chiefs.
18 minutes ago from TweetDeck

Sorry to add yet another Crennel Thread and major kudos to BRC and Bad Guy for giving us the heads up before the 'insiders.' Longtime lurker, but I thought I'd come out of the shadows to share the news.

Updates:

Jason La Confora of NFL Network confirms:

http://twitter.com/JasonLaCanfora

Chiefs will be relieving Clancy Pendergast of his duties. LB coach Gary Gibbs to remain with team; other spots on D staff to be filled
20 minutes ago from web

Chiefs agree to terms with Romeo Crennel to be D coordinator. He will start after Super Bowl. Full story on NFL.com and NFL Network
21 minutes ago from web

As does Adam Schefter of ESPN:

https://twitter.com/Adam_Schefter

In addition to hiring defensive coordinator Romeo Crennel, the Chiefs terminated the contract of the coach he'll replace, Clancy Pendergast.
11 minutes ago from web

It's official: Romeo Crennel and Charlie Weis are back together in Kansas City, with the Chiefs hiring Crennel.
7 minutes ago from web

Story on NFL.com:

http://blogs.nfl.com/2010/01/13/chiefs-agree-to-trms-with-crennel/

Story on ESPN.com:
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4821761

ProFootballtalk:

Pendergast will go

Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on January 13, 2010 12:21 PM ET
For the second straight year, Clancy Pendergast has lost a gig as defensive coordinator.

And despite a report that he may remain on Kansas City staff's in some capacity, ESPN's Adam Schefter reports Pendergast's contract was terminated.

A potential spot for Pendergast, who coached in Arizona last year, could be with the Falcons as a secondary coach. But Pendergast doesn't seem likely to get another defensive coordinator job again anytime soon.

Report: Chiefs, Crennel do a deal

Posted by Mike Florio on January 13, 2010 10:13 AM ET
Agent Joe Linta recently told the Kansas City Star that, if the Chiefs were to make an offer to Romeo Crennel, he would accept it.

Apparently, the offer has come.

Adam Caplan of Scout.com reports that the Chiefs and Crennel have struck a deal that will make Crennel the team's new defensive coordinator.

Per Nick Wright of KCSP, an announcement currently is expected to come on Friday -- and current defensive coordinator Clancy Pendergast is not expected to be fired.

Coach Todd Haley recently told Wright that the Chiefs wanted to hire Crennel last year, but health issues prompted Crennel to take some time off.

The move gives the Chiefs the two coordinators -- Crennel and Charlie Weis -- who left the Patriots after winning their third Super Bowl in four years.

Permalink 0 Comments Back to Top

Lzen
01-13-2010, 08:18 AM
Fantastic!

Mr_Tomahawk
01-13-2010, 08:19 AM
BRC > $109.95

BigRedChief
01-13-2010, 08:20 AM

Sorry to add yet another Crennel Thread and major kudos to BRC and Bad Guy for giving us the heads up before the 'insiders.' Longtime lurker, but I thought I'd come out of the shadows to share the news.maybe I'll have to start trusting this new source more? :hmmm:

DMAC
01-13-2010, 08:20 AM
Thanks.

Do your hands feel just like two balloons?

The Bad Guy
01-13-2010, 08:22 AM
BRC > $109.95

Where's my cut?

Stinger
BRC & TBG > $109.95

Updated your post and you are correct ......... Rep to both .......

The Bad Guy

Sorry to add yet another Crennel Thread and major kudos to BRC and Bad Guy for giving us the heads up before the 'insiders.' Longtime lurker, but I thought I'd come out of the shadows to share the news.

My pleasure.

Stinger
01-13-2010, 08:24 AM
Where's my cut?

Updated your post and you are correct ......... Rep to both .......

heh I tried only to be beaten to the post by seconds .............

BigRedChief
01-13-2010, 08:26 AM
Where's my cut?Hey I posted the Weiss and Crennel info 2 days before it hit the local and national news. You still stand in my shadow.:p

Stinger
01-13-2010, 08:29 AM
Hey I posted the Weiss and Crennel info 2 days before it hit the local and national news. You still stand in my shadow.:p

We have seen your picture ............ EVERYONE stands in your shadow........

:p

BigRedChief
01-13-2010, 08:31 AM
We have seen your picture ............ EVERYONE stands in your shadow........

:p
:LOL:

Icon
01-13-2010, 08:33 AM
Excellent news! So far it has been a very good offseason. I hope our draft goes as well. A few quality free agents wouldn't hurt either. I'm hoping the signing of our new cooridinators will influence quality free agents to sign with KC.

tomahawk kid
01-13-2010, 08:37 AM
HUGE PROPs to Frank and BRC for sharing the inside info.

Not something they were obligated to do.

Thanks again fellas.

Radar Chief
01-13-2010, 08:37 AM
Thanks.

Do your hands feel just like two balloons?

I can’t explain, you would not understand. This is not how I am.

Reerun_KC
01-13-2010, 08:42 AM
Excellent news! So far it has been a very good offseason. I hope our draft goes as well. A few quality free agents wouldn't hurt either. I'm hoping the signing of our new cooridinators will influence quality free agents to sign with KC.

Agreed, its so good so far! There will be some that are pissed off at progress or the players drafted.. But so far they are taking major steps forward...

ITS good to be a Chiefs fan!

HemiEd
01-13-2010, 08:47 AM
maybe I'll have to start trusting this new source more? :hmmm:

He is liable to end up with concrete shoes, so go easy. :D

Mr. Arrowhead
01-13-2010, 08:55 AM
Jason La Canforra has confirmed Crennell to the chiefs as well

http://twitter.com/JasonLaCanfora

Chiefs agree to terms with Romeo Crennel to be D coordinator. He will start after Super Bowl. Full story on NFL.com and NFL Network

Chiefs will be relieving Clancy Pendergast of his duties. LB coach Gary Gibbs to remain with team; other spots on D staff to be filled

BigRedChief
01-13-2010, 08:55 AM
He is liable to end up with concrete shoes, so go easy. :Dyeah, I know. The stuff I post from "the source" has never been wrong. But, tt's only a matter of time before they are wrong and the Planet wants to bury me alongside Hoffa in the end zone at Giants stadium. And then this new source was wrong about shanahan but right about this. so go figure. :hmmm:

Mr. Arrowhead
01-13-2010, 08:57 AM
same with Adam Schefter

http://twitter.com/Adam_Schefter

It's official: Romeo Crennel and Charlie Weis are back together in Kansas City, with the Chiefs hiring Crennel.

The Bad Guy
01-13-2010, 09:00 AM
Some names of interest that might be coming here on the DL:

Mike Wauffle (SP) - Old Giants DL coach. Was just fired this past year.
Clancy was told he could remain with the secondary, but he declined.

Thank god Gibbs is staying.

Iowanian
01-13-2010, 09:02 AM
That wasn't an earthquake in Haiti, that was the rumble of Weis and Crennel jumping on the Chiefs bandwagon.

HemiEd
01-13-2010, 09:03 AM
yeah, I know. The stuff I post from "the source" has never been wrong. But, tt's only a matter of time before they are wrong and the Planet wants to bury me alongside Hoffa in the end zone at Giants stadium. And then this new source was wrong about shanahan but right about this. so go figure. :hmmm:

Well you have to love it. With that place on lockdown, it only took you a few months to get connected. We appreciate it! :thumb:

Frosty
01-13-2010, 09:06 AM
That wasn't an earthquake in Haiti, that was the rumble of Weis and Crennel jumping on the Chiefs bandwagon.

Fat jokes aside, Crennel is 62 and obese. That is a bit worrisome.

BigMeatballDave
01-13-2010, 09:06 AM

Thank god Gibbs is staying.Whoa, so Pederass may be gone completely? PBJ

Mr_Tomahawk
01-13-2010, 09:08 AM
Chiefs add ex-Browns coach Romeo Crennel as defensive coordinator

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/thehuddle/post/2010/01/chiefs-add-ex-browns-coach-romeo-crennel-as-defensive-coordinator/1

Romeo Crennel is headed to Kansas City.

NFL.com and Scout.com report that Crennel has reached a deal to make him the Chiefs' defensive coordinator. NFL.com reported that current defensive coordinator Clancy Pendergast will lose his position.

Crennel, on hiatus last season after a four-year stint as head coach in Cleveland, will be reuniting with Charlie Weis, who signed on last week as offensive coordinator in Kansas City under Todd Haley.

The duo will reprise the roles they had under Bill Belichick when they won three Super Bowls early in the last decade. -- Sean Leahy

--------------------------------

Crennel, Weis reunited in KC

As expected, the Kansas City Chiefs have officially hired Romeo Crennel to be their defensive coordinator, a source close to situation tells ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter.

Crennel is reunited with offensive coordinator Charlie Weis, who was hired recently by Kansas City following his ouster as Notre Dame coach.

Crennel will not start work for a couple of weeks because of a prior commitment -- he'll be the head coach of the East Team in the East-West college football all-star game on Jan. 23 in Orlando, Fla.

--------------------------------------

Chiefs agree to terms with Crennel

http://blogs.nfl.com/2010/01/13/chiefs-agree-to-trms-with-crennel/

The Kansas City Chiefs have agreed to terms with Romeo Crennel to become defensive coordinator, according to a league source.

The Chiefs are in the process of firing current defensive coordinator Clancy Pendergast, according to a source, and Crennel will join the team following the Super Bowl, when he is free from existing commitments with the Cleveland Browns.

Crennel, former head coach in Cleveland, will retain linebackers coach Gary Gibbs, but other staff changes are coming. Defensive line coach Tim Krumrie was already let go last week.

runnercyclist
01-13-2010, 09:08 AM
I can’t explain, you would not understand. This is not how I am.

They'll be no more aaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!

tomahawk kid
01-13-2010, 09:11 AM
Whoa, so Pederass may be gone completely? PBJ

It sure sounds like it.

Sweetness.

the Talking Can
01-13-2010, 09:12 AM

Penderg-ass IS GONE

siberian khatru
01-13-2010, 09:13 AM
The Chiefs are in the process of firing current defensive coordinator Clancy Pendergast

That just struck me as funny.

HALEY: I’m lettin ya go, Clancy.

PENDERGAST: Tell it to me straight, Todd.

HALEY: You’re washed up, I tell ya, you’re through.

PENDERGAST: I can take it, Todd, you just lay it on me.

HALEY: You stink, Clancy, you’re the worst coach on the team, you’ll never work in this league again!

PENDERGAST: Don’t leave me hangin’ by a thread, I gotta know where I stand!

tomahawk kid
01-13-2010, 09:13 AM

Is Wauffle worth a d@mn?

siberian khatru
01-13-2010, 09:14 AM
Is Wauffle worth a d@mn?

He sounds Belgian.

wild1
01-13-2010, 09:17 AM
WIPE is reporting...

eh. forget it.

BigRedChief
01-13-2010, 09:18 AM
Crennel, Weis reunited in KC

As expected, the Kansas City Chiefs have officially hired Romeo Crennel to be their defensive coordinator, a source close to situation tells ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter.

Crennel is reunited with offensive coordinator Charlie Weis, who was hired recently by Kansas City following his ouster as Notre Dame coach.

Crennel will not start work for a couple of weeks because of a prior commitment -- he'll be the head coach of the East Team in the East-West college football all-star game on Jan. 23 in Orlando, Fla.
I told the planet this 10 days ago. :harumph:

milkman
01-13-2010, 09:19 AM
Is Wauffle worth a d@mn?

Wauffle had a hand in the development of Kiwanuka, Tuck and Umenyoria, who all looked like stars with Spagnoulo as DC, so maybe.

Hammock Parties
01-13-2010, 09:21 AM
WIPE is reporting...

eh. forget it.

WPI was all over this from the beginning. As we were with Weis. We were talking about Weis before the regular season ended.

The Bad Guy
01-13-2010, 09:22 AM
WPI was all over this from the beginning.

More complete BS lies.

The Bad Guy
01-13-2010, 09:22 AM
WPI was all over this from the beginning. As we were with Weis. We were talking about Weis before the regular season ended.

Talking about, and having concrete info, are two different things genius.

Brock
01-13-2010, 09:24 AM
WPI was all over this from the beginning. As we were with Weis. We were speculating about Weis before the regular season ended.

FYP

Mr_Tomahawk
01-13-2010, 09:25 AM
I'll pocket my $109.95 and just refer to The Bad Guy and BRC for my info...it's free and accurate...

Hammock Parties
01-13-2010, 09:25 AM
Talking about, and having concrete info, are two different things genius.

Oh, we definitely had concrete info.

wild1
01-13-2010, 09:26 AM

Right, you "knew all along but couldn't tell us."

wild1
01-13-2010, 09:27 AM
I'll pocket my $109.95 and just refer to The Bad Guy and BRC for my info...it's free and accurate...

:thumb:

BigRedChief
WPI was all over this from the beginning. As we were with Weis. We were talking about Weis before the regular season ended.welll you know Crennell speculation as DC has been around since Haley was hired. As soon as Weiss got fired it was all over the intrawebs that his most likely destination was KC. Not exactly rocket science to figure out those two bits of information.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not dissing your sources or info or saying that WI didn't have the story. I'm not a member so I don't see the cool kids area over there. but if you wanted to prove to the Planet that you were on this post something with a date/time. The cats out of the bag now. The info is no longer inside info. So you wouldn't be cheating your subscribers.

The Bad Guy
Here you go GC. Here is my post on Monday night. Please show me where WPI had this same information.

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showpost.php?p=6435390&postcount=302

Hammock Parties
01-13-2010, 09:28 AM
welll you know Crennell speculation as DC has been around since Haley was hired. As soon as Weiss got fired it was all over the intrawebs that his most likely destination was KC. Not exactly rocket science to figure out those two bits of information.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not dissing your sources or info or saying that WI didn't have the story. I'm not a member so I don't see the cool kids area over there.

We weren't speculating. We had reports as early as December 1st that Weis would like to come to Kansas City and had met with Pioli and Haley.

KC kid
Pendergast looks to be fired.

milkman
welll you know Crennell speculation as DC has been around since Haley was hired. As soon as Weiss got fired it was all over the intrawebs that his most likely destination was KC. Not exactly rocket science to figure out those two bits of information.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not dissing your sources or info or saying that WI didn't have the story. I'm not a member so I don't see the cool kids area over there.

Are there any cool kids on the short bus?

The Bad Guy
01-13-2010, 09:29 AM

What I do know is that GOChiefs would have been all over this board with blurbs from WIPE if they had any info on him.

Hammock Parties
Right, you "knew all along but couldn't tell us."

We told our premium members.

The Bad Guy
We weren't speculating. We had reports as early as December 1st that Weis would like to come to Kansas City and had met with Pioli and Haley.

100000x WRONG

The Bad Guy
01-13-2010, 09:30 AM

Is that why your premium members were relying on the posts from the other Chiefs website last night?

wild1
01-13-2010, 09:31 AM
What I do know is that GOChiefs would have been all over this board with blurbs from WIPE if they had any info on him.

Exactly... I find it very hard to believe he wouldn't be promoting his blog here if they actually did have any real information

Mr_Tomahawk
01-13-2010, 09:32 AM

Just curious...

Legitimate question:

Why would one pay $109.95 (I believe) to subscribe to WPI when they can get the same information from CP? Do you get a tshirt with a WPI subscription?

Hammock Parties
01-13-2010, 09:32 AM
Exactly... I find it very hard to believe he wouldn't be promoting his blog here if they actually did have any real information

Sorry, I don't post insider content on Chiefsplanet. That's exclusively for our subscribers.

C-Mac
01-13-2010, 09:34 AM
Is that why your premium members were relying on the posts from the other Chiefs website last night?

Them being told and them believing what they are told, are truly two different things.
:D

Reerun_KC
01-13-2010, 09:34 AM
Sorry, I don't post insider content on Chiefsplanet. That's exclusively for our subscribers.

ROFL

Brock
01-13-2010, 09:35 AM

Yeah, you might lose your "job" if you did that. LMAO

The Bad Guy
01-13-2010, 09:36 AM
How sad indeed. GoChiefs squashed again by Chiefsplanet's sources.

Galileo Humpkins
Crennel is 62 and obese. That is a bit worrisome.

Todd Haley purchased Wii Fit for the Chiefs training facility during the offseason. Having it positioned next to the snack machine, however, was as questionable as his playcalling.

How do I know of this Wii Fit purchase? Well, I'm a premium member, ya'see...

Cannibal
I have read a lot that we do not have the required personnel for a 3-4 D which is what Crennel specializes in. If he has in fact been hired, does anyone expect the D to become respectable, or is our talent going to hold it back. Would we be better off switching to a 4-3 even though we've hired Crennel?

BigRedChief
01-13-2010, 09:37 AM
Sorry, I don't post insider content on Chiefsplanet. That's exclusively for our subscribers.And I'll stick up for Gochiefs here that the amount of $109.99 is not determined by WPI but by their national contracts.

Reerun_KC
01-13-2010, 09:39 AM
I have read a lot that we do not have the required personnel for a 3-4 D which is what Crennel specializes in. If he has in fact been hired, does anyone expect the D to become respectable, or is our talent going to hold it back. Would we be better off switching to a 4-3 even though we've hired Crennel?

Dont feed the haters.... Please?

The Bad Guy
01-13-2010, 09:40 AM

Romeo does have experience in the 4-3, but the plan is to keep the 3-4. I know one thing Romeo was adament about before taking the job is improving the linebackers and safeties this off-season.

TheGuardian
01-13-2010, 09:41 AM

Crennel runs a 3-4 as his base but he mixes in a lot of 4-3 stuff too. So we're going to get to find out if I am wrong and some others are right about Dorsey being some spectacular 3-technique. Because if Romeo doesn't use him in that capacity either than that's 3 defensive coordinators who haven't used him that way, and that many of them can't be wrong. Sorry.

BigRedChief
01-13-2010, 09:41 AM
Here you go GC. Here is my post on Monday night. Please show me where WPI had this same information.

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showpost.php?p=6435390&postcount=302
Let the record show that the Planet had this information 10 days ago. I first posted it publically on January 3rd. Some posters on here actually got it a couple of days before I went public.

Cannibal
01-13-2010, 09:42 AM
Dont feed the haters.... Please?

Believe me. I think it's a great hire. I am just concerned. I am hoping that he can mold our team into a respectable D regardless of the talent we have.

milkman
01-13-2010, 09:43 AM
Romeo does have experience in the 4-3, but the plan is to keep the 3-4. I know one thing Romeo was adament about before taking the job is improving the linebackers and safeties this off-season.

At least he got that right.

Eric Berry, come on down!

Archie Bunker
01-13-2010, 09:44 AM

Thank god

milkman
01-13-2010, 09:48 AM
So, who locked the attention whore's thread?

DaFace?

Can you take away his thread starting privs too, please?

DaFace
01-13-2010, 09:51 AM
(whistles innocently)

CaliforniaChief
01-13-2010, 09:54 AM
Has the White House confirmed this yet?

As I've said all along I would have preferred Bowles...but I don't think Crennel would have come unless there was a solid plan for talent infusion.

Optimistically waiting and seeing!

tyton75
01-13-2010, 09:55 AM
Doesn't mean he'll get the guy he wants... Halley is an offensive guy.. he might want OL in the first... and I doubt Weis will talk him out of it..

just saying

milkman
01-13-2010, 09:59 AM
Doesn't mean he'll get the guy he wants... Halley is an offensive guy.. he might want OL in the first... and I doubt Weis will talk him out of it..

just saying

Based on Bad Guy's post, I'm assuming that Pioli and Haley assured him that they would make those positions a priority in the draft before he agreed to take the job.

With that assumption, if Berry is still ther at 5, I'm assuming he's the guy.
If not, I'm guessing Rolando McClain.

CaliforniaChief
01-13-2010, 10:00 AM
Based on Bad Guy's post, I'm assuming that Pioli and Haley assured him that they would make those positions a priority in the draft before he agreed to take the job.

I could live with that. I'd prefer Berry and then get an ILB in the 3rd or 4th (Angerer's my guy), but I would like McClain, too.

warrior
01-13-2010, 10:01 AM
Reporting on ESPN----------great news

King_Chief_Fan
01-13-2010, 10:04 AM

hmmmmm and none of them opened their mouths and reported the news and that they heard it from WPI?

BigRedChief
Reporting on ESPN----------great newsWelcome to 10 days ago ESPN.:Poke:

The Bad Guy

I don't know if it will be through the draft, but he wants upgrades.

Weis and Romeo studied this roster a lot before accepting.

milkman
I could live with that. I'd prefer Berry and then get an ILB in the 3rd or 4th (Angerer's my guy), but I would like McClain, too.

I'm not a fan of taking an ILB in the top 5.

I'm just making assumption based on BG's post and Pioli's history.

CaliforniaChief
01-13-2010, 10:06 AM
I'm not a fan of taking an ILB in the top 5.

I'm just making assumption based on BG's post and Pioli's history.

However it would probably be better than any of the available OL prospects...I agree though. Berry 1st, ILB's in the 3rd/4th makes more sense.

milkman
01-13-2010, 10:06 AM

So, what you're saying is that the Chiefs might trade up to take Clausen then?

:D

Cannibal
01-13-2010, 10:09 AM
So what does this all mean for Glen Dorsey then in your opinions?

King_Chief_Fan
01-13-2010, 10:10 AM
generally there is hoop la involved

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_lLkqBuKz4w

soundmind
01-13-2010, 10:15 AM
There is no pain you are receiving,
A distant ship's smoke on the horizon,
You are only coming through in waves,
Your lips move, but I can't hear what you're saying...

The speculation has landed, hopefully there will be something official so I can stop questioning everything.

Donger
01-13-2010, 10:16 AM
I won't believe it until Wikipedia says so, and it does:

Romeo Crennel (born June 18, 1947 in Lynchburg, Virginia) is the former head coach of the Cleveland Browns of the National Football League. Before becoming the head coach of the Browns, Crennel won three Super Bowls in four seasons as the defensive coordinator of the New England Patriots. Crennel has participated in six Super Bowls winning five of them during his coaching career. On January 13th, 2010, Romeo was hired as the Kansas City Chiefs Defensive Coordinator. He is being reunited with Charlie Weis, whom he coached with in New England during their super bowl run.

ArrowheadHawk
01-13-2010, 10:17 AM
So now we need a badass Special Teams coach.

HemiEd
01-13-2010, 10:21 AM

That is exciting, very exciting stuff.

soundmind
01-13-2010, 10:23 AM

Bobby April is making the rounds...but there again, Buffalo hasn't been a scary ST team in a little while, maybe he's not all that innovative...

HC_Chief
01-13-2010, 10:25 AM
Wow, good news! I like it.

DeezNutz
01-13-2010, 10:25 AM
Chiefs are better today.

I understand why some are more excited about Weis than Crennel, but I think the latter will likely have an even bigger impact b/c we've simply lacked competent coaching on the defensive side of the ball for years.

Yeah, Crennel might not necessarily be a world beater, but I think he's competent. And at this point, I'm willing to welcome competency.

Molitoth
01-13-2010, 10:26 AM

So who coached the Patriots ST during the dynasty? :D

HotRoute
01-13-2010, 10:28 AM
now lets get to work guys, just being back in the NFL isnt going to cut it here. we need some major production from the new coordinators

DaFace
01-13-2010, 10:29 AM
BTW, I hadn't even noticed that this thread was started by a lurker who hadn't ever posted before. I'm always amused when that happens.

smittysbar
01-13-2010, 10:32 AM
BTW, I hadn't even noticed that this thread was started by a lurker who hadn't ever posted before. I'm always amused when that happens.

I was surprised he had thread starting privileges.

sparkky
01-13-2010, 10:33 AM
seems like quality moves to me. now if KC will spend some $$ on players.

ComfortablyNumb
01-13-2010, 10:35 AM

I figured that posting the link was the least I could do. I lurk here a bunch, but for whatever reason have never posted. I get all of my Chiefs news here :)

I lurked long before my join date and only broke down and created a membership when you used to have to login on game days to view the game thread.

PS: Thanks for updating the thread title!

BigRedChief
01-13-2010, 10:38 AM
BTW, I hadn't even noticed that this thread was started by a lurker who hadn't ever posted before. I'm always amused when that happens.yeah and he also gave me neg rep. I'm sure it was a mistake but still.....:shake:

DaWolf
01-13-2010, 10:40 AM
It's funny to me. Bruce Arians leaked word out that he was getting canned, and he was retained.

Clancy Pendergast leaks word out that he's safe, and he gets canned...

Donger
01-13-2010, 10:40 AM
yeah and he also gave me neg rep. I'm sure it was a mistake but still.....:shake:

:spock:

ComfortablyNumb
01-13-2010, 10:41 AM
yeah and he also gave me neg rep. I'm sure it was a mistake but still.....:shake:

So sorry man. I thought for sure I had hit the add to reputation button. I sincerely appreciate all of the info you provide. As soon as I can give you a positive rep I will rectify the mistake. Apologies once again.

See this is why I hid in the shadows, to protect you all from my stupidity :)

Icon
01-13-2010, 10:42 AM
Kudos to Haley / Pioli for signing Weiss and Crennel. Time will tell whether it will work but looking at it now it appears like good hires and strongly indicates we're trying hard to improve.

Norman Einstein
01-13-2010, 10:43 AM
Any official statement made by the Chiefs?

Mr. Laz
01-13-2010, 10:43 AM
wow ... didn't see that coming.

will Pendergast just retire or what?

BigRedChief
01-13-2010, 10:44 AM
So sorry man. I thought for sure I had hit the add to reputation button. I sincerely appreciate all of the info you provide. As soon as I can give you a positive rep I will rectify the mistake. Apologies once again.

See this is why I hid in the shadows, to protect you all from my stupidity :)no worries. I was sure it was a mistake.

You got to possibly look stupid to post on here. The archivist's in here will find the most stupid thing you ever said and beat you upon the head and shoulders with it at will. Just the nature of the beast.

Reerun_KC
01-13-2010, 10:45 AM

yeah me either? Strange for a guy that wasnt hired in the first place to be the DC...

milkman
01-13-2010, 10:46 AM
I wonder when KCdonkeyDumbass is going to post that we ran Pendergast out of town for no good reason?

Mr. Laz
01-13-2010, 10:46 AM
Bobby April is making the rounds...but there again, Buffalo hasn't been a scary ST team in a little while, maybe he's not all that innovative...
our special teams are just fine, dammit

where is the silly idea that we need a special teams coach coming from?

we had ONE ... ONE bad special teams game against cleveland.

all we need is a decent KR/PR guy and we are good.

:doh!:

Mr. Laz
01-13-2010, 10:47 AM
yeah me either? Strange for a guy that wasnt hired in the first place to be the DC...
Pendergast has been fire 2 years in a row ... where is he gonna get a job, high school?

Iowanian
01-13-2010, 10:48 AM
I want to change Haley's name to Jack and call the other assistants the Beanstalks...

Every time Crennel or Weis start a team meeting or coach up a player it should begin with "FEE! FI! FOE! FUM!

"FEE FI FOE FUM, DON'T DROP THE BALL YOU EF'N SCUM!"
"FEE FI FOE FUM, Sack that WUSSY FOR ME SON!"

DeezNutz
01-13-2010, 10:48 AM
I wonder when KCdonkeyDumbass is going to post that we ran Pendergast out of town for no good reason?

Maybe Jerome "Brown" can give him a ride?

milkman
01-13-2010, 10:49 AM
Pendergast has been fire 2 years in a row ... where is he gonna get a job, high school?

Oakland.

Shag

Eh, doesn't surprise me - I was actually surprised to hear people speculate he'd take a demotion. That would be a big ego/pride hit, and I have to think he'd lose respect from players, going from DC to a position coach within the same team. Not something you see happen very often...

OnTheWarpath15

Exactly.

Our coverage units were highly rated until Haley gambled with Cribbs, and lost.

Our return units, on the other hand, leave something to be desired - but that can possibly be fixed with just a legit returnman.

beach tribe
01-13-2010, 10:52 AM
no worries. I was sure it was a mistake.

You got to possibly look stupid to post on here. The archivist's in here will find the most stupid thing you ever said and beat you upon the head and shoulders with it at will. Just the nature of the beast.

Not to be a smartass, but if he's been lurking as long as he says he has, I'm sure he's aware.

Thanks for the inside info BTW. You Rock.

Otter
01-13-2010, 10:53 AM
I want to change Haley's name to Jack and call the other assistants the Beanstalks...

Every time Crennel or Weis start a team meeting or coach up a player it should begin with "FEE! FI! FOE! FUM!

"FEE FI FOE FUM, DON'T DROP THE BALL YOU EF'N SCUM!"
"FEE FI FOE FUM, Sack that WUSSY FOR ME SON!"

If I were Whitlock I'd start pushing the whole "Jack Stacks on me" ticket for the Arrowhead 'in' he's been looking for.

The Bad Guy
01-13-2010, 10:54 AM

Actually, it's still up in the air. Yesterday I was told he was going to stay on, but today the same guy told me he's canned and Romeo is going to find a new secondary coach.

So who knows. I'm just glad my source was spot on and that Clancy is gone.

milkman
01-13-2010, 10:55 AM
Eh, doesn't surprise me - I was actually surprised to hear people speculate he'd take a demotion. That would be a big ego/pride hit, and I have to think he'd lose respect from players, going from DC to a position coach within the same team. Not something you see happen very often...

What Pendergast showed me is that he's a dumbass of epic proportions.

Accepting the DC job after how the team persued Romeo last offseason, even after Pendergast was already hired ot be a part of the staff, was stupidity defined.

He had to know his tenure was going to be short lived unless the defnse just blew up.

Oh, and ftr, Cunther took a demotion from DC to line coach in '92(?) for the Raiders.

We, of course, hired him after that, cause we're smart like that.

bevischief
01-13-2010, 10:56 AM

He can broadcast with Herm...

DaFace
01-13-2010, 10:57 AM
I was surprised he had thread starting privileges.

30 posts or 30 days is typically the way it works.

Actually, he gave you neutral rep. His post count isn't high enough for him to be able to give you either positive or negative rep.

ComfortablyNumb
01-13-2010, 10:59 AM
30 posts or 30 days is typically the way it works.

Actually, he gave you neutral rep. His post count isn't high enough for him to be able to give you either positive or negative rep.

I did mean for it to be positive for both you and Bad Guy for all of the inside info, but my noob status made it look different than it should. Sorry again.

TRR
01-13-2010, 10:59 AM
Actually, it's still up in the air. Yesterday I was told he was going to stay on, but today the same guy told me he's canned and Romeo is going to find a new secondary coach.

So who knows. I'm just glad my source was spot on and that Clancy is gone.

Interesting that Josh Looney hasn't reported or confirmed the story yet.
Posted via Mobile Device

Chiefnj2
01-13-2010, 11:03 AM
What Pendergast showed me is that he's a dumbass of epic proportions.

It's part of the good ole boy network. Someone will remember this favor he did and give him a job or two.

Inspector
01-13-2010, 11:04 AM

See this is why I hid in the shadows, to protect you all from my stupidity :)

Don't worry about looking stupid. Believe me, after awhile, you get used to it.

soundmind

Exactly.

Our coverage units were highly rated until Haley gambled with Cribbs, and lost.

Our return units, on the other hand, leave something to be desired - but that can possibly be fixed with just a legit returnman.

I completely agree with you guys, I was just answering the post ahead of mine that asked if there were any high-line ST Coaches now that we'd inked these two. Our coverage was actually the most impressive piece we held until that Cleeeeeeland game. But what the hell can you do in that one? Aside from just avoiding the man, there's not a lot that can be done, it's a gamble because he's a freak at the return position.

There's no reason to change up the ST staff, at least not by the 09 performance. In fact, the signing of these two heavyweights has me smiling, because from here, it appears that all we need are some playmakers.

DaFace
Interesting that Josh Looney hasn't reported or confirmed the story yet.
Posted via Mobile Device

He's not really in the role of a beat writer. He sometimes reports what others (Sheffter, etc.) are saying, but he never posts inside info until it's released by the Chiefs officially. However, he's typically the first to post once it's official.

Radar Chief
01-13-2010, 11:06 AM
I did mean for it to be positive for both you and Bad Guy for all of the inside info, but my noob status made it look different than it should. Sorry again.

Get your post count up and it’ll stop being an issue. ;)

milkman
01-13-2010, 11:08 AM
He's not really in the role of a beat writer. He sometimes reports what others (Sheffter, etc.) are saying, but he never posts inside info until it's released by the Chiefs officially. However, he's typically the first to post once it's official.

And they won't make it official until after the East-West all star game.

Delano
01-13-2010, 11:09 AM
There's no reason to change up the ST staff, at least not by the 09 performance. In fact, the signing of these two heavyweights has me smiling, because from here, it appears that all we need are some playmakers.

That's it, huh? Just find some playmakers. Easy enough. LMAO
Posted via Mobile Device

BigRedChief
01-13-2010, 11:10 AM
I did mean for it to be positive for both you and Bad Guy for all of the inside info, but my noob status made it look different than it should. Sorry again.You got started off on the right track. No worries, just keep up posting.

Chiefnj2
01-13-2010, 11:11 AM
Crennel, Weis, Whitlock and Gretz all in the same city? Donut shops rejoice.

milkman
01-13-2010, 11:11 AM
That's it, huh? Just find some playmakers. Easy enough. LMAO
Posted via Mobile Device

With a competent staff in place, even if you're lukewarm about either of the new coordinators, you have to think that the chances of finding playmakers improves, even if only slightly.

soundmind
01-13-2010, 11:12 AM
Official word will likely land on Monday, January 25th if there's some chess-game reason that it has to be after the Shrine Game.

And how badass is that? Our new DC is coaching the East-West All-Star Game and our OC is on the heels of a few years at Notre Dame??? Draft should be solid...

tomahawk kid
01-13-2010, 11:13 AM
Crennel, Weis, Whitlock and Gretz all in the same city? Donut shops rejoice.

TO LAMAR'S!!!!

Mr. Laz
01-13-2010, 11:19 AM
imo our new coordinators are likely to improve our ability to sign Free agents pretty dramatically.

Reerun_KC
01-13-2010, 11:21 AM
You got started off on the right track. No worries, just keep up posting.

Peeps need to rep help the n00b out...

Titty Meat
01-13-2010, 11:21 AM
Fuck yo 109.95!!

Archie Bunker
01-13-2010, 11:23 AM
HUGE PROPs to Frank and BRC for sharing the inside info.

Not something they were obligated to do.

Thanks again fellas.

This. Great to have some quality sources here at Chiefsplanet.

Great job, guys.

BigRedChief
01-13-2010, 11:24 AM
finally that rag of a newpaper, the KCStar says its official
http://chiefsblog.kansascity.com/?q=node/1186

Reerun_KC
01-13-2010, 11:25 AM
This. Great to have some quality sources here at Chiefsplanet.

Great job, guys.

Why do you think WIPE and Whitlock steal most of their info from there... Or why do you think the KC sport radio hacks come here so much...

This is the place for Chiefs news, everyone else in KC sucks the penis...

eazyb81
01-13-2010, 11:27 AM

McClain in R1, Chad Jones in R2.

BigRedChief
I'll pocket my $109.95 and just refer to The Bad Guy and BRC for my info...it's free and accurate...But for how long? I've got expenses you know...also the Giants are calling me.

Titty Meat

what about Nck Wrong? He was saying a week or 2 ago that we wouldn't get Weis and then backpeddled.

Delano
01-13-2010, 11:41 AM
With a competent staff in place, even if you're lukewarm about either of the new coordinators, you have to think that the chances of finding playmakers improves, even if only slightly.

Well shit, if KC gets one "playmaker" in '10's draft, they improved on last year. So yes, with at least 4 more competent eyes on internal and external players, the odds they find more playmakers improves. Unfortunately, the pool for those gamebreakers is small.
Posted via Mobile Device

DeezNutz
01-13-2010, 11:42 AM

Finally, the story confirmed by trustworthy sources. :D

Titty Meat
01-13-2010, 11:44 AM
Romeo can't be a good coach without his own assistants.

DeezNutz
01-13-2010, 11:45 AM

Let's not start any of this shit.

2010: No excuses.

Titty Meat
01-13-2010, 11:47 AM
Let's not start any of this shit.

2010: No excuses.

Gunther wasn't good because he didn't have his own guys neither does Romeo.

2010: 30th ranked defense.

The defense will be good in 2012!

Spicy McHaggis
01-13-2010, 12:11 PM
Gunther wasn't good because he didn't have his own guys neither does Romeo.

You're being sarcastic, right? Please?

Tribal Warfare
01-13-2010, 12:15 PM
Crennel reunites with Weis, Pioli in KC (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4821761)
ESPN.com news services

As expected, the Kansas City Chiefs on Wednesday officially hired Romeo Crennel to be their new defensive coordinator.

Crennel, who replaces Clancy Pendergast, reunites with general manager Scott Pioli and offensive coordinator Charlie Weis, who all worked together in New England during their Super Bowl runs. Weis was hired by Kansas City last week following his ouster as Notre Dame's coach.

The Chiefs informed Pendergast early Wednesday that they would be terminating his contract one year after hiring him from Arizona, sources close to the situation told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter. Potential landing spots for Pendergast could include Atlanta, which did not renew the contract of defensive backs coach Emmitt Thomas.

Crennel will not start work for Kansas City for a couple of weeks because of a prior commitment -- he'll be the head coach of the East Team in the East-West college football all-star game on Jan. 23 in Orlando, Fla.

Crennel coached the Browns for four seasons before being fired after the 2008 season. He was 24-40 in Cleveland.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/dzOHq5WbQ8k&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/dzOHq5WbQ8k&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Titty Meat
01-13-2010, 12:18 PM
Yes but if the defense sucks that is what you will hear from some people.

Chief Faithful
01-13-2010, 12:27 PM
[SIZE="5"][url=http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4821761]
[B]The Chiefs informed Pendergast early Wednesday that they would be terminating his contract one year after hiring him from Arizona, sources close to the situation told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter. Potential landing spots for Pendergast could include Atlanta, which did not renew the contract of defensive backs coach Emmitt Thomas.

PBJ

I am still wait and see on a lot of things Chiefs, but Pendergast was not one of them.

Chief Faithful
01-13-2010, 12:29 PM

I don't expect top 10 defense, but I expect significant improvement in 2010.

HotRoute
01-13-2010, 12:33 PM
I'm actually starting to think r.mclain could be our first overall pick

Titty Meat
01-13-2010, 12:33 PM
It's a process

RedThat
01-13-2010, 12:34 PM

I agree with this.

I've been saying this all along. When a good coaching staff is put together, it increases the chances of recruiting good players and also developing good players.

I can't even remember the last time we had competent co-ordinators on both sides of the ball? I think this is a big reason why this team struggled in assembling good talent on both sides of the ball.

HotRoute
01-13-2010, 12:34 PM
He might be just what we need to fill the gap up the middle

Chief Faithful
01-13-2010, 12:36 PM
McClain in R1

I'm with you. I want the biggest defensive playmaker in the center of the defense calling the plays and making the adjustments. McClain has all the skills plus the intelligence to be that General on the field. I picture McClain as an Al Wilson or Ray Lewis type who can really lead a defense in the film room and on the field.

I like Eric Berry as a playmaker, but this defense needs a playmaker who is also a big time leader.

doomy3
01-13-2010, 12:43 PM

Several of the reports I've read said that Romeo would be bringing in different coaches, and that Gibbs (LB Coach) was the only one they would say was staying.

Sure-Oz
01-13-2010, 12:48 PM
Several of the reports I've read said that Romeo would be bringing in different coaches, and that Gibbs (LB Coach) was the only one they would say was staying.

Read that as well

LaChapelle
01-13-2010, 12:51 PM
Badgirl hopes to be incharge of the sideline defibulator

BigChiefFan
01-13-2010, 12:58 PM
I'm actually pretty stoked by these coaching moves. There are no guarantees, but at least they are attempting to improve.

MMXcalibur
01-13-2010, 12:59 PM
I'm actually pretty stoked by these coaching moves. There are no guarantees, but at least they are attempting to improve.

Exactly. I'm looking more forward to this year's Draft then any in the past 5-6 years. Beating the Donks in Denver in the final game really raised my spirits and these coaching moves are making the offseason even more tolerable.

Ralphy Boy
01-13-2010, 01:48 PM
Terminating Clancy is a bit of a shock but does help to explain why this has taken longer to be acknowledged publicly. Haley might have been hoping that Clancy would stay on in some lesser capacity but ultimately either Romeo decided he didn't want him or Clancy didn't want to take the demotion.

CaliforniaChief
01-13-2010, 01:50 PM
If I was Clancy and still had the opportunity to have any job coaching anything defensively, I'd take it in a heartbeat.

Sure-Oz
01-13-2010, 01:51 PM
Clancy might get a HS job

Brock
01-13-2010, 01:56 PM
Well, at least they're not doing the Vermeil thing here and hanging on to a proven loser for years too long.

kcfanXIII
01-13-2010, 01:57 PM
yeah, I know. The stuff I post from "the source" has never been wrong. But, tt's only a matter of time before they are wrong and the Planet wants to bury me alongside Hoffa in the end zone at Giants stadium. And then this new source was wrong about shanahan but right about this. so go figure. :hmmm:

you have never tried to pass what you have heard as fact, you are always up front about the reliability of the source, and you don't charge for speculation and rumor. thats +3 on WPI. lol, in all seriousness though, thanks for sharing, and i wouldn't worry about getting something wrong because like i just said, you've never tried to build up the info you get into something it isn't. keep it up.

RustShack
01-13-2010, 02:01 PM

I still think the Miami DC that just was let go will be our LB coach and Gibbs be an assistant LB coach. That or one of the is the ILB coach and the other the OLB coach.

The Bad Guy
01-13-2010, 02:04 PM
I still think the Miami DC that just was let go will be our LB coach and Gibbs be an assistant LB coach. That or one of the is the ILB coach and the other the OLB coach.

Not happening.

Titty Meat
01-13-2010, 02:13 PM
Not happening.

Your source say anything bout position coaches?

The Bad Guy
01-13-2010, 02:18 PM
Your source say anything bout position coaches?

He did tell me Monday that Gibbs was safe.

Bradford might stay on as an assistant. No idea who the full time coach would be.

He likes the Giants Dline coach that was recently fired, but he might be going elsewhere. I really think Romeo is going to coach the DL.

One name to watch for as the QB coach is going to be John Hufnagel who worked with Weis in 2003 with the Patriots.

Mr_Tomahawk
01-13-2010, 02:21 PM

Bradford might stay on as an assistant. No idea who the full time coach would be.

He likes the Giants Dline coach that was recently fired, but he might be going elsewhere. I really think Romeo is going to coach the DL.

One name to watch for as the QB coach is going to be John Hufnagel who worked with Weis in 2003 with the Patriots.

This is interesting...Thanks for sharing!

...Pats?...watch the haters hate now...

Titty Meat
01-13-2010, 02:22 PM

Any idea if coaching the D-line while being the DC effects anything? My high school coached all the defense did a good job NFL is alot different obviously.

Everyone seems to like the Giants d-line coach I wonder why he was fired.

milkman
01-13-2010, 02:30 PM

That name (Hufnagel) is familiar to me.

Got any more info about him that might trigger my memory?

ModSocks
01-13-2010, 02:33 PM
I'd rather retain Pendergast to work in the secondary then just let him walk. it doesn't hurt to have a former DC as a position coach.

Titty Meat
01-13-2010, 02:33 PM

O-Cordinator for the giants for a few years fired in 06 and has been coaching in the CFL.

Alton deFlat
01-13-2010, 02:34 PM

Playing career

John Hufnagel was named an All-American at Penn State University in 1972, where he was the starting quarterback for three seasons (1970–1972), earning a 26–3 record. As a junior, he was instrumental in the Nittany Lions' 30–6 Cotton Bowl Classic victory over the University of Texas and played in a 14–0 loss to the University of Oklahoma in the 1973 Sugar Bowl as a senior. In 1972, Hufnagel became the first Nittany Lion quarterback to pass for more than 2,000 in a season. His 2,039 passing yards set Penn State’s single-season record for passing yards (since broken) and he remains among the top 10 in most major career passing categories. He finished sixth in the Heisman Trophy voting that year.

Hufnagel was the 14th-round draft choice of the Denver Broncos in the 1973 NFL Draft. There he would play for three seasons before beginning a 12-year career in the Canadian Football League with the Calgary Stampeders (1976–1979), the Saskatchewan Roughriders (1980–1983 and 1987), and the Winnipeg Blue Bombers (1984–1986).

milkman
01-13-2010, 02:36 PM
O-Cordinator for the giants for a few years fired in 06 and has been coaching in the CFL.

Yeah, just did a Wikipedia search, and I now know that I remember him as a Donkey backup QB that played in about 4 or 5 games in the 70s.

Wilson8
01-13-2010, 02:37 PM
This was interesting from wiki on Hufnagel...

After two seasons (1999, 2000) as the quarterbacks coach for the Cleveland Browns, Hufnagel was named the quarterbacks coach of the Indianapolis Colts, where he coached Peyton Manning to a 62.7 percent completion percentage and for 4,131 yards passing. He spent the 2002 season as the quarterbacks coach on Tom Coughlin’s staff in Jacksonville. That year, quarterback Mark Brunell threw only seven interceptions in 416 pass attempts, and an 85.7 quarterback rating. He spent the 2003 season with the Super Bowl champion New England Patriots. Under Hufnagel’s tutelage, Tom Brady earned a second Super Bowl MVP award, completing 60.2 percent of his passes for 3,620 yards and 23 touchdowns.

milkman
01-13-2010, 02:38 PM
Also in looking at his history, he worked with Doug Flutie and Jeff Garcia as a coach.

Great guy to work with a weak-armed QB.

siberian khatru
01-13-2010, 02:38 PM
Yeah, just did a Wikipedia search, and I now know that I remember him as a Donkey backup QB that played in about 4 or 5 games in the 70s.

He also made me think of Brian Baschnagel.

milkman
01-13-2010, 02:43 PM
He also made me think of Brian Baschnagel.

You're just trying to finagel a laugh, right?

(misspelled incorrectly on purpose)

Chiefnj2
01-13-2010, 02:45 PM
I'd rather retain Pendergast to work in the secondary then just let him walk. it doesn't hurt to have a former DC as a position coach.

It's not like Clancy was really put into a position to succeed. "Clancy good news, we are going to run a two gap 34 and you have to try to convert all of the old underachieving tampa system players, plus a few reach draft picks. Good luck with that. Oh, and if you can't make that work, we'll grab a few backup bargain free agents for you. Oops, one other thing, we'll scrap our entire offense right before the season starts so you won't really have great field position to work with. Best of luck."

siberian khatru
01-13-2010, 02:46 PM
You're just trying to finagel a laugh, right?

(misspelled incorrectly on purpose)

Heh, no, that's actually who I thought of. Weird.

The Bad Guy
01-13-2010, 04:11 PM

Coached the Giants a few years ago. My stepdad was actually frat brothers with him.

He did work with QBs who lived and died by the intermediate route, so he wouldn't be a bad thing.

The Bad Guy
01-13-2010, 04:12 PM

Fuck no.

I do not want a guy who was canned to come back here as a position coach.

He's likely bitter over the whole thing. What are the pros of this happening?

Mr. Flopnuts
01-13-2010, 04:21 PM
Any update on when this will be announced?

ncCHIEFfan
01-13-2010, 05:00 PM

:rolleyes::shake:

BigMeatballDave
01-13-2010, 06:20 PM
I told the planet this 10 days ago. :harumph::thumb: