PDA

View Full Version : USC's Gable considering early exit

Tribal Warfare
01-13-2010, 08:16 AM
USC's Gable considering early exit (http://www.ocregister.com/sports/gable-228651-usc-draft.html)
By ADAM MAYA
2010-01-11 20:27:41

LOS ANGELES — As of Monday, C.J. Gable was still a member of the USC football team. The embattled running back said that could change in the next few days as he is considering making himself eligible for the NFL draft.

"(If) something changes at the end of the week, I'll leave," Gable said. "If some coaches leave that I don't want to go, then I might leave."

Gable hinted that running backs coach Todd McNair's role with the team will be key to his decision. McNair said he would not be leaving for Seattle but he might also not be staying at USC. Quarterbacks coach Jeremy Bates and linebackers coach Ken Norton Jr. already have left the program to join Pete Carroll in Seattle.

Gable, who has until Friday to declare for the draft, filed for an early draft evaluation from the league but has not received it yet. He said the desire to support his family is another reason he might go.

If he stays, a new regime at USC might also mean a new role for the redshirt senior. Gable, who seemed trapped in a doghouse that won't likely exist with a different staff, played sparingly this past season after starting nearly all of 2008.

"There's no more favorites," Gable said. "It'll be open to anybody."

Senior cornerback Shareece Wright said he decided to stay at USC and not enter the draft after a conversation with Carroll on Monday.

"He said my value is not as high as it can be," Wright said. "He said I'm a first-round guy, so I shouldn't settle for the third or fourth round. I was really interested in leaving. But it's not a good idea."

Wright had a great showing in the Emerald Bowl after missing the entire regular season because he was academically ineligible. He redshirted the 2008 season after suffering a neck injury in the second game.

NOTES

Junior tackle Tyron Smith recently had surgery on his right thumb to repair a ligament issue and was wearing a cast Monday. He played with the injury all season. Smith said he expects to be eligible for spring football after being academically ineligible for the Emerald Bowl. ... Sophomore safety T.J. McDonald had minor ankle surgery last week. The recovery time is expected to be 4-6 weeks. McDonald had considered playing baseball this spring but said he will focus solely on football.

KCrockaholic
01-13-2010, 01:06 PM
If I was a USC player I would get out now before douchebag Kiffin gets in the house.

Tribal Warfare
01-13-2010, 02:21 PM
If I was a USC player I would get out now before douchebag Kiffin gets in the house.

and sanctions are amidst too for both the football and basketball programs

Mecca
01-13-2010, 03:11 PM
Half the guys on the team were recruited by Lane Kiffin, lets not act like they don't know him.

KCrockaholic
01-14-2010, 12:30 AM
Half the guys on the team were recruited by Lane Kiffin, lets not act like they don't know him.

Half? Maybe 1/4. I haven't seen your view of Kiffin yet though. Good hire in your opinion or not? Since your a USC fan and all.

I think it is a huge step down.

cdcox
01-14-2010, 12:49 AM
USC loves them some ex-Chief running backs.

TigerPig
01-14-2010, 01:04 AM

THIS

Mecca
01-14-2010, 01:44 AM
Kiffin coached at USC for 6 years and was the recruiting coordinator for a period of it...a lot of those players know him because you don't just recruit seniors. Matt Barkley was recruited by him for christ sake.

I like the hire because of the staff he's bringing with him.

RippedmyFlesh
01-14-2010, 10:52 AM
People who think this is going to be the downfall for usc are going to be mistaken.He knows this school this job better than any other job. Even if you hate him you have to admit he has a ton of experience for his age.The same reason people will hate him for leaving tenn are why people will like him at usc because he wants to be there and has been there recently.