PDA

View Full Version : Life Blue Valley High School in Stilwell?

NewChief
01-13-2010, 10:08 AM
I was curious about this school's reputation? Our school is holding it up as a model school, and we're looking to emulate a few things they do. I'm always curious when we get an outsider's viewpoint on these school whether it's accurate or not.

DeezNutz
01-13-2010, 10:20 AM
BV school system is top notch, and this particular school is no different.

Excellent model.

Farzin
01-13-2010, 10:27 AM
I was curious about this school's reputation? Our school is holding it up as a model school, and we're looking to emulate a few things they do. I'm always curious when we get an outsider's viewpoint on these school whether it's accurate or not.
The parking lot sucks. My high school shared home football fields with BVHS and I was always afraid a drunk student (from my school, not from BVHS) would hit my car.

As for the school's reputation? What specifically are you asking about? Athletics? Pretty strong athletics department. Mainly football. The football program has been one of the best in the state of Kansas, thanks to former head coach, Steve Rampy, who got hired last month to be the offensive coordinator for Pitt State.

Academics--All four high schools in the district are strong academically. I've heard from my friends that attended Blue Valley that most of the teachers enjoy working with students and are laid back teachers. Most BV schools are like that. The super intendant of the school district likes to brag about it..

Students--I'd say among the four BV schools, this is the school that doesn't have cliques, from my experience. I went to parties (and took a broadcasting class and which involves working with students from all four schools) and just knowing seeing some of the students at these parties, they're pretty stuck up. BV seems to be a more accepting school. I went to a Christmas party last year with a girl I dated at the time. Her best friend was hosting the party (mostly students from BVHS were there) and I was surprised for a moment, simply because I wasn't used to seeing this from my high school. There were a lot of different people there. It wasn't an "all-jock Christmas party." I rarely hear any stories about students getting caught with drugs or alcohol from that school. I guess every high school out there has that, but it's not common in BVHS. I cannot speak for the current students, but I imagine the athletes, younger siblings/classmates/friends and club members that worked with the upperclassmen, I'm sure they've learned from them. Small school, but a good place.

Hope this helps.

carlos3652
01-13-2010, 10:28 AM
Love this School, but i am biased alumni...

vailpass
01-13-2010, 10:29 AM
Do they allow stills in the parking lot? Are shoes required? What is the policy of a father and daughter attending the same grade? Is there a non-smoking section in the lunch room?
edit*whoops, I thought this school was in Arkansas since Phin was doing the asking.

HC_Chief
01-13-2010, 10:34 AM
BV school system is top notch, and this particular school is no different.

Excellent model.

+1
We moved to this area in part due to the excellent school district. It really is top notch.

NewChief
01-13-2010, 10:38 AM
Thanks for the information. We're specifically looking at the way they structure their school day (scheduling).

Farzin
01-13-2010, 10:44 AM
Just google "Blue Valley High School" and check out their website..look for "schedule" .. "class periods" .. "bell schedule" .. something similar and you'll find your answer.

carlos3652
01-13-2010, 10:46 AM
Scheduling was great back in 1998-2000, not sure what they do know though as my kids are not old enough to go there yet... (they had block scheduling on Tuesdays and Thursdays...
Posted via Mobile Device

Farzin
01-13-2010, 10:47 AM
By the way, if this is enough to make you want to attend the school, Marty Schottenheimer's son attended BVHS when they moved to KC. His first name escapes me (I don't think it's Kurt.) But he's currently the OC for the Jets. Just saying :D

NewChief
01-13-2010, 10:50 AM
Scheduling was great back in 1998-2000, not sure what they do know though as my kids are not old enough to go there yet... (they had block scheduling on Tuesdays and Thursdays...
Posted via Mobile Device

That's how they still do it, yes. MWF are all classes. TTh are block.

DeezNutz
01-13-2010, 10:51 AM
By the way, if this is enough to make you want to attend the school, Marty Schottenheimer's son attended BVHS when they moved to KC. His first name escapes me (I don't think it's Kurt.) But he's currently the OC for the Jets. Just saying :D

Brian.

Won a state title.

carlos3652
01-13-2010, 11:05 AM
1991 - qb won state...
Posted via Mobile Device