PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Everything you wanted to know about Cassel's contract compared to peers.

Chiefnj2
01-14-2010, 02:53 PM
From insidethecap.blogspot

Is Matt Cassel the Next Tony Romo?

In the valuing of NFL contracts there are standard metrics by which both clubs and agents utilize to determine the comparative value of contracts. The metrics most often publicized are guaranteed money and total contract value. While these metrics are most certainly important, particularly total guaranteed money, these are not the only metrics used.

Another metric is Average Per Year, which in the case of a free agent contract or draft pick contract is simply the total value of the contract divided by the length of the contract. However, when determining Average Per Year in a contract renegotiation or extension, the formula is total value minus the remaining money to be earned on the previous contract divided by the total new years of the contract. In the example of a player with one year left on his contract who signs a five-year contract, there are four new years, thereby making it a four-year extension. The Average Per Year is then representative of the new money per new contract year.

The metric of 3-Year Total is simply how much money will the player have made if the team were to terminate the contract after three years. This metric speaks to whether or not a contract is front or back loaded. For example, two players both sign five-year contracts worth $50 million with the same guarantee. Using the Average Per Year metric, these contracts are equal. However, lets say that in player A’s contract he’s slated to make $40 million in the first three years and then slated to make $10 million over the final two years , while player B is slated to make $20 million in the first three years and the remaining $30 million over the final two years. The 3-Year Total metric makes this distinction and shows that player A’s contract is superior to player B’s, even though the Average Per Year metric shows that they are equal.

Another metric that distinguishes contracts from one another is the Guarantee Per Year metric. This metric accounts for the length of the contract as it relates to guaranteed money. Obviously two players who both receive $20 million in guaranteed money are in a great positions; however, if player A’s contract is for seven years while player B’s contract is for four years, then player B has the more favorable deal, all things equal.

As you read the analysis of the Matt Cassel contract below, you’ll see me reference these metrics and who the players are that are most comparable to Cassel in each of these metrics.

QB Matt Cassel
Club: KC
Contract Length: 6 years

Total Guarantee: $27,750,000
Guarantee Per Year: $4,625,333
Total Value of Contract Guaranteed: 44%
Comparable Total Guarantees at Position: OAK QB JaMarcus Russell, $32,000,000; DAL QB Tony Romo, $29,294,118; NE QB Tom Brady, $26,500,000; CIN QB Carson Palmer, $24,000,000

Total Value: $63,000,000
Average Per Year (APY): $10,500,000
Comparable APYs at Position: ATL QB Matt Ryan, $11,000,000; SL QB Marc Bulger, $10,841,667; OAK QB JaMarcus Russell, $10,166,667; NO QB Drew Brees, $10,000,000

3-Year Total: $40,500,000

Analysis:
As you assess Chiefs quarterback Matt Cassel’s contract, you have to compare his contract to his peers, who have also been awarded long-term franchise quarterback contracts with very little track record as an NFL starting quarterback. The most recent examples are Green Bay quarterback Aaron Rodgers and Dallas quarterback Tony Romo. Cleveland quarterback Derek Anderson could be considered in this peer group, but because his deal was only a 3-year contract we’ll exclude him from this analysis.

At the high end of this specific market (from an Average Per Year perspective) is Rodgers, who, relative to this market, was the most inexperienced when he signed his contract. Prior to signing his franchise quarterback contract in November of 2008, Rodgers had only eight career starts (all of them in 2008). Despite this fact, the Packers were so sold on the future of Rodgers that they signed him to a seven-year contract with five new years at an average new money per year of $12,264,000. Rodgers’ guarantee per new year was $4,000,000 (total guarantee was $20,000,000), and his 3-Year Total was $28,000,000. Comparatively, despite a lower Average Per Year, Cassel received a higher total guarantee per year $4,625,333 (as well as a higher total guarantee of $27,750,000). Cassel also surpassed Rodgers’ contract in 3-Year total with $30,500,000 versus $28,000,000 and percentage of the total value guaranteed, 44% versus 33%.

The most lucrative contract of this peer group from a guarantee standpoint is that of Cowboys quarterback Tony Romo; however, Cassel’s contract is fairly similar when you compare the metrics. Prior to signing his franchise quarterback contract, Romo had 17 career starts under his belt. In October of 2007, Romo signed a seven-year contract with six new years. Romo’s average new money per year is $11,250,000, his guarantee per new year is $4,882,353, his Three-Year total is $31,000,000, and the percentage of the total value that was guaranteed was 43 percent. Comparing Cassel in these same metrics, Cassel surpasses Romo in percentage of total value guaranteed, 44 percent versus 43 percent, and Three-Year total, $40,500,000 versus $31,000,000. However, Cassel is slightly lower than Romo in guarantee per year ($4,882,353 versus $4,625,333)and is slightly lower in average per year, $11,250,000 versus $10,500,000. So is Cassel the next Tony Romo? According to his contract, the expectation is for him to be pretty darn close.

The next group of quarterbacks in line for franchise quarterback contracts are New York quarterback Eli Manning and San Diego quarterback Phillip Rivers, but their contracts are going to be in another stratosphere from those signed by Cassel, Rodgers, and Romo, as these two quarterback are significantly more accomplished than the peer group analyzed here (Chicago quarterback Jay Cutler could also be in line for a significant extension if his productivity continues in Chicago as it was in Denver). However, Washington quarterback Jason Campbell and Buffalo quarterback Trent Edwards, if they prove they’re worthy of a long-term deal, could potentially be in the same ball park as Cassel, Romo, and Rodgers.

Hammock Parties
01-14-2010, 02:55 PM
:facepalm:

SDChiefs
01-14-2010, 03:01 PM
This makes me sick.

SDChiefs
01-14-2010, 03:01 PM
This makes me sick.

Reerun_KC
01-14-2010, 03:03 PM
How does it make you feel SD?

Lumpy
01-14-2010, 03:05 PM
:facepalm: This makes me sick.

OnTheWarpath15
01-14-2010, 03:06 PM
ROFL

jAZ
01-14-2010, 03:07 PM
The point of the analysis seems to be that Cassel's contract is reasonable when compared to the less then proven QBOTF players like Romo and Rodgers, and that it's about to be dwarfed by the next round of QB contracts.

And we paid only $13M more to have a longer term deal than the $15M we would have paid for just the 1 year deal many wanted. That's a reasonable deal, IMO.

If he improves under Weis, it will be a pretty good deal. If he doesn't, it won't be *too* bad. Not a huge risk either way.

Mr. Laz
01-14-2010, 03:11 PM
The point of the analysis seems to be that Cassel's contract is reasonable when compared to the less then proven QBOTF players like Romo and Rodgers, and that it's about to be dwarfed by the next round of QB contracts.

And we paid only $13M more to have a longer term deal than the $15M we would have paid for just the 1 year deal many wanted. That's a reasonable deal, IMO.

If he improves under Weis, it will be a pretty good deal. If he doesn't, it won't be *too* bad. Not a huge risk either way.
actually what people are going to concentrate on is that Aaron Rodgers and Romo are better Quarterbacks than Cassell but Cassell is still making the same.

let the bitching begin!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11

OnTheWarpath15
01-14-2010, 03:12 PM

You might want to re-read.

The Packers paid 11% less in guaranteed money for a Top 5 QB.

The Cowboys paid an almost identical amount for a guy that is on the cusp of becoming a franchise QB.

Wake me when Cassel's play comes anywhere close to that of Rodgers and Romo.

OnTheWarpath15
01-14-2010, 03:13 PM
actually what people are going to concentrate on is that Aaron Rodgers and Romo are better Quarterbacks than Cassell but Cassell is still making the same.

let the bitching begin!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11

What else should we be focusing on Laz?

Or are you just here to be your typical, whining self?

Hammock Parties
01-14-2010, 03:18 PM
Has Laz ever provided a counter argument or does he just try to tear down people who complain as whiners that need something to bitch about?

Mr. Laz
01-14-2010, 03:21 PM
Has Laz ever provided a counter argument or does he just try to tear down people who complain as whiners that need something to bitch about?
so your complaining that i'm complaining about the bitching people and their bitching who look for more reason to bitch and then i bitch about their bitching and .... wait, what?

Old Dog
01-14-2010, 03:24 PM

The Cowboys paid an almost identical amount for a guy that is on the cusp of becoming a franchise QB.

Reading comprehension is a bitch for some folks I guess:

Rodgers wasn't a top 5 QB (he had 8 starts) when he signed that contract and Romo (17 starts) wasnt exactly a franchise QB when he signed his either.

IF Cassel comes around then his contract makes him a steal, if he doesn't it's not going to cost us the entire future to DX his ass.

Christofire
01-14-2010, 03:26 PM
Here's what really sucks: Let's say Cassel plays out of his mind the next two years -- 4,000 yards, 30 TDs, 9 INTs, with 10+ wins each year. Aren't the chances of him playing out this contract slim? I mean, if he did, and he continues to play out of his mind we'd be getting a deal and Pioli would look like a genius.

But in the NFL, guys are always getting new contracts before their old ones expire. Cassel's agent would be pushing for a new deal, and unless Pioli really takes a stand and makes him play it out, there's not a single year we get Cassel at a halfway reasonable price. Based on his performance of this year, we didn't get our money's worth.

Chiefnj2
01-14-2010, 03:28 PM

And if Romo has a bad game this weekend and the Cowboys lose, all of the "cusp" goes right out the window.

Wake me up when Cassel has the same continuity and supporting staff that Rodgers and Romo has.

BigRedChief
01-14-2010, 03:31 PM
We are so far under the cap and next year is an uncapped year. So wake me when bumping up against the cap is an issue.

Whats more important than Clark's wasted money is the Chiefs wasting time on a QB that doesn't pan out.

Micjones
01-14-2010, 03:36 PM
I'm no NFL contract expert, by any stretch of the imagination, but this does not seem to address the increases I alluded to earlier or the changes in the NFL economy.

Romo signed his deal 2 years ago.
That contract would've been higher had he signed it this season.

Christofire
01-14-2010, 03:37 PM
We are so far under the cap and next year is an uncapped year. So wake me when bumping up against the cap is an issue.

Whats more important than Clark's wasted money is the Chiefs wasting time on a QB that doesn't pan out.

Both good points, but sooner or later there will be a cap, even if it isn't next year.

Wilson8
01-14-2010, 04:13 PM
The nature of the contract means that Matt has next season to show what he is worth. The guaranteed $27,750,000 will be over after 2010. The contract also has a large bonus if Matt is still on the team for 2011. The contract gives KC an out in two years.

The troubling part is the possiblity of wasting two years and still not having a QB of the future.

If KC can plan on an uncapped year for 2010 and would be willing to spend the money, it might not hurt to hedge their bet and draft a QB this year.

I'm wanting a GOOD QB coach to come in and work with Matt, Matt, Brodie, and maybe a drafted QB.

Pants
01-14-2010, 04:17 PM
I'm wanting a GOOD QB coach to come in and work with Matt, Matt, Brodie, and maybe a drafted QB.

Weis.

Halfcan
01-14-2010, 04:17 PM
I think we over paid-lol

Fritz88
01-14-2010, 04:26 PM
F me.

OnTheWarpath15
01-14-2010, 04:30 PM
I'm no NFL contract expert, by any stretch of the imagination, but this does not seem to address the increases I alluded to earlier or the changes in the NFL economy.

Romo signed his deal 2 years ago.
That contract would've been higher had he signed it this season.

Of course it would.

A 4500 yard, 26TD / 9INT season would warrant that.

Micjones
01-14-2010, 04:31 PM
Of course it would.

A 4500 yard, 26TD / 9INT season would warrant that.

I think you misunderstood.
My point is... A $60M contract 2 years ago isn't the same as a $60M contract currently. Player salaries are increasing.

Mecca
01-14-2010, 04:32 PM
Supporting cast?

I don't care who Cassel plays with, he can not make throws Rodgers can make.

OnTheWarpath15
01-14-2010, 04:38 PM
I think you misunderstood.
My point is... A $60M contract 2 years ago isn't the same as a $60M contract currently. Player salaries are increasing.

Without some evidence of success, I think a players pay only increases minimally.

Without improvement in performance, that $60M contract might raise to $65M over two years.

Performance is still the driving factor, or should be. His performance would dictate that contract jumping to $100M, along with Rivers/Roethlisberger.

Had Romo's numbers been at Cassel's level, would he had gotten a huge raise?

Nope. Just the NFL equal to a cost of living raise.

Mecca
01-14-2010, 04:39 PM
If Romo played like Cassel in Dallas ESPN's lead story would be about how he's a fuckin scrub.

Fritz88
01-14-2010, 04:39 PM
Supporting cast?

I don't care who Cassel plays with, he can not make throws Rodgers can make.

i'll have a shot at Angelia Jolie before he has a chance to throw the long ball like Rodgers.

DeezNutz
01-14-2010, 04:44 PM
i'll have a shot at Angelia Jolie before he has a chance to throw the long ball like Rodgers.

Weis might be able to help you with that.

Micjones
01-14-2010, 04:56 PM
Without some evidence of success, I think a players pay only increases minimally.

Without improvement in performance, that $60M contract might raise to $65M over two years.

Then by today's standards both Romo and Rodgers' contracts, already richer than the one Cassel has, both increase (to $72.5M and $70M respectively). And it makes this discussion about whether or not Cassel should be performing like Romo/Rodgers a little less fitting.

All the same...He needs to improve. Significantly.

HemiEd
01-14-2010, 04:59 PM
Reading comprehension is a bitch for some folks I guess:

Rodgers wasn't a top 5 QB (he had 8 starts) when he signed that contract and Romo (17 starts) wasnt exactly a franchise QB when he signed his either.

IF Cassel comes around then his contract makes him a steal, if he doesn't it's not going to cost us the entire future to DX his ass.

That is the way I read it.

Hog's Gone Fishin
01-14-2010, 07:30 PM
Damn . I buy lotto tickets praying for a 4 mil payout. And Cassel sucks!

Marcellus
01-14-2010, 07:40 PM
Before the draft I stated many times that I was concerned about drafting a QB at #4 because of the $ it would cost and I wasn't really sold on any of the QB's at the top of the draft. (Still not).

I was told over and over why the hell should I care it's not my $ and we have the cap room. Now the $ is one of the things being thrown around to claim Cassel is a huge failure.

So I have to ask, why do you give a shit about the $, it's not yours and we have plenty of cap room.

Mecca
01-14-2010, 07:50 PM
Before the draft I stated many times that I was concerned about drafting a QB at #4 because of the $ it would cost and I wasn't really sold on any of the QB's at the top of the draft. (Still not).

I was told over and over why the hell should I care it's not my $ and we have the cap room. Now the $ is one of the things being thrown around to claim Cassel is a huge failure.

So I have to ask, why do you give a shit about the $, it's not yours and we have plenty of cap room.

In the draft you're paying the slot, that isn't quite the same as choosing to pay a guy the cash then finding out he's not that good.

seaofred
01-14-2010, 07:59 PM
Quick question for you guys... What were Romo's stats when he signed his deal? What were Rodgers stats when he signed his deal? What were Cassel's stats when he signed his deal?

Marcellus
01-14-2010, 08:22 PM
In the draft you're paying the slot, that isn't quite the same as choosing to pay a guy the cash then finding out he's not that good.

There is no difference when the argument is it's not your $ why worry about it.

el borracho
01-14-2010, 08:27 PM
Here's what really sucks: Let's say Cassel plays out of his mind the next two years -- 4,000 yards, 30 TDs, 9 INTs, with 10+ wins each year. Aren't the chances of him playing out this contract slim? I mean, if he did, and he continues to play out of his mind we'd be getting a deal and Pioli would look like a genius.

Oh, I don't think you have to worry about that.

'Hamas' Jenkins
01-14-2010, 08:30 PM

Cassel+Jackson=120 million

#3+#34 pick=65-70 million.

rtmike
01-14-2010, 09:01 PM
Has to be an old article. Eli signed an extension last year AFAIK.

Marcellus
01-14-2010, 09:10 PM
Cassel+Jackson=120 million

#3+#34 pick=65-70 million.

Facepalm all you want it doesn't change my point. Nobody cared about $ before the draft, now its an issue, that's hypocritical.

According to many here, the $ shouldn't be a concern paying an unproven QB. Well we got a guy and paid him a bunch of $, why is $ an issue now?

The real issue is with the player, stick to that and don't fret about the $ and use it a platform to complain. It's a 2 year deal if he bombs next year.

Chiefaholic
01-14-2010, 09:26 PM
I hope to GOD that Cassel plays to his potential and takes this team to the Superbowl. This fanbase has too much of the "1 and done" criteria when determining a players potential.

Extra Point
01-14-2010, 09:46 PM
Only $520,000 per dropped pass!

brophog
01-14-2010, 09:56 PM
Any such analysis is flawed unless you compare it relative to the salary cap due to the cap's phenomenal growth in the last decade.

The growth rate of the salary cap coupled with mandatory player pay increases per annum makes any comparisons problematic without standardization of currency value per the salary cap of the time of contract resolution.

This phenomenon is the source of an array of perceived salary cap discrepancies, both in the veteran pool and the rookie pool.

Tits McGee
01-14-2010, 10:16 PM
Jesus...

cdcox
01-14-2010, 10:19 PM
Aaron Rodgers was a first round pick. Matt Cassel wasn't. There are reasons for that. Every single day that both QBs were in the league, Aaron Rodgers was a better prospect than Matt Cassel. That's not hindsight that's just reality.

There's a reason that the media went gaga of Tony Romo in 2007. There is a reason people had doubts about how Cassel would perform once he left the Patriots cocoon.

Does anyone really think Cassel has the potential to be a gunslinger like Romo or Rogers? His top end is game manager.

Sweet Dick Willy
01-15-2010, 02:45 AM
"Is Matt Cassel the next Tony Romo"?

No, but at least the flunkies are raising the "comparison bar" past Trent Green now.

Baby Steps!

Pioli Zombie
01-15-2010, 05:46 AM

But in the NFL, guys are always getting new contracts before their old ones expire. Cassel's agent would be pushing for a new deal, and unless Pioli really takes a stand and makes him play it out, there's not a single year we get Cassel at a halfway reasonable price. Based on his performance of this year, we didn't get our money's worth.
"Our money"???
Are you Clark Hunt?
Posted via Mobile Device

DJ's left nut
01-15-2010, 09:08 AM

Yup.

This is just more worthless rationalizing.

The problem isn't that he's getting an average contract in relation to his 'peers' (though calling Romo or Rodgers a 'peer' is laughable; Jamarcus Russell qualifies though).

The problem is that he's locked in as the starting quarterback for my hometown franchise despite sucking royally at actually playing quarterback.

Otter
01-15-2010, 09:48 AM
In my best Gunny voice:

CASSEL YOU HAD BETTER SQUARE YOUR ASS AWAY AND START SHITTING ME TIFFANY CUFF LINKS OR I WILL DEFINITIVELY **** YOU UP!

FAX
01-15-2010, 09:49 AM
I guess that Maple Syrup comes from trees. This, of course, means that at some time in deep, dark antiquity, some crazy bastard licked a tree for no reason.

FAX

carlos3652
01-15-2010, 11:57 AM
lets not compare Derrick anderson's contract... cause it doesnt fit the agenda...

TRR
01-15-2010, 12:01 PM
lets not compare Derrick anderson's contract... cause it doesnt fit the agenda...

Why are we comparing salary and contracts at all?

All it means is that Cassel has a very good agent, and Pioli may or may not have jumped the gun. It has NOTHING to do with Matt Cassel.
Posted via Mobile Device

DJ's left nut
01-15-2010, 12:04 PM

Congrats.

Matt Cassel compares favorably to the absolute worst contract in the league.

This is really what you're hanging your hat on?

Yeah, and I have an agenda.

SDChiefs
01-15-2010, 12:13 PM
There is no difference when the argument is it's not your $ why worry about it.

Because it shows Pioli is willing to throw big money at scrubs. There WILL be a time when Salary Cap is an issue. How are we supposed to field a good team with a backup QB making 15MM. Not to mention what we are paying a 5 tech. Whats next? A punter making 20MM/year. Before we know it, we are at the salary cap ceiling and the players making the most don't deserve the contracts.

TRR
01-15-2010, 12:18 PM
Because it shows Pioli is willing to throw big money at scrubs. There WILL be a time when Salary Cap is an issue. How are we supposed to field a good team with a backup QB making 15MM. Not to mention what we are paying a 5 tech. Whats next? A punter making 20MM/year. Before we know it, we are at the salary cap ceiling and the players making the most don't deserve the contracts.

Talk about putting the cart before the horse. Its WAY to call Cassel a scrub, and the rest of your post is garbage.
Posted via Mobile Device

SDChiefs
01-15-2010, 06:32 PM
Talk about putting the cart before the horse. Its WAY to call Cassel a scrub, and the rest of your post is garbage.
Posted via Mobile Device

So you not understanding economics, or the salary cap (or English from your post) makes my post garbage. Interesting. You go ahead and buy a franchise and spend 120MM on a career back up and a 5 tech and see how quickly you would be ran out of town. You would be calling Matt Millen asking him for a job and he would just laugh at you.