PDA

View Full Version : ChiefsPlanet Matt Cassel,yes or no?

Steve
01-14-2010, 05:39 PM
I see a lot of threads the seem to be anti-cassel.I thinlk he made some mistakes but if he eliminates those mistakes next year he will be very good franchise quaterback.I like to think that Matt can and will corrections.I would like to see how many agree and how many disagree.His mistakes were mental mostly.We have to remember that all quarterbacks throw interceoptions.

Deberg_1990
01-14-2010, 05:39 PM
heh.....Popcorn!

oh, and no.

DeezNutz
01-14-2010, 05:41 PM
I agree. Dude screams franchise.

Mr. Flopnuts
Never.

Here's to hope though. :toast:

Dante84
the half thing.

kstater
Oh hey, here's a topic that's never discussed.

Extra Point
01-14-2010, 05:48 PM
Yes, only because we're stuck with him. Saying no in spite of the fact that he's here for the next three years, does nothing but generate illusion.

Brock
01-14-2010, 05:50 PM
We're stuck with him for a couple of years anyway, so I hope he's good.

keg in kc
01-14-2010, 05:52 PM
We're stuck with him for a couple of years anyway, so I hope he's good.Pretty much.

Deberg_1990
01-14-2010, 05:53 PM
Cassel he would get better cause Chiefs!!

talastan
01-14-2010, 05:56 PM
I think Weis will improve his issues and make him a much improved QB in 2010. As for franchise QB, I don't think he'll ever get to that level. JMO though...

DWMeyer98
01-14-2010, 06:05 PM
It is pretty hard to judge him yet. there were a lot of things working against him that were beyond his control.

1. His receivers led the league in dropped passes.
2. He had a different receiving corp. nearly every week.
3. The offensive line was porous and gave up a lot of sacks and put him under pressure.
4. There was almost no production in the running game for 1st half of the season.
5. Gailey was fired right before the season and he had to learn a new system during the regular season.

His biggest personal flaw is that he holds onto the ball too long and causes sacks.

The Franchise
01-14-2010, 06:11 PM
Mr. Plow is going to be pissed at you.

Hammock Parties
01-14-2010, 06:24 PM
His mistakes WEREN'T mostly mental.

His most glaring problem was lack of accuracy.

Earthling
01-14-2010, 06:27 PM
All we are saying....
Is give peace a chance...
Errr..Cassel I mean

KCwolf
01-14-2010, 06:28 PM
His mistakes WEREN'T mostly mental.

His most glaring problem was lack of accuracy.

And the fact that his accuracy didn't improve as the season went on is quite disturbing

LOCOChief
01-14-2010, 06:28 PM
He holds the ball too long , he needs to get rid of it.

jAZ
01-14-2010, 06:30 PM
I expect him to play at a decent level next season (~85 QB rating). I'm not counting on him being in the Pro-Bowl in the next couple of years. But I think the people jumping off the QB cliff are way off the mark.

L.A. Chieffan
01-14-2010, 06:32 PM
If Cassel would just throw a TD on every pass that dude would be badass.

Deberg_1990
01-14-2010, 06:49 PM
But I think the people jumping off the QB cliff are way off the mark.

If he would have shown steady imrpovement as the season went along, id be ok with him.

But as the team got better, he got worse....

Reerun_KC
01-14-2010, 06:52 PM
Well since I dont have a freaking say so in he matter and the Chiefs dont give a flying fuck about what I say....

So whether or not I am "ok" with him isnt of consequence to the Chiefs...

Chiefnj2
01-14-2010, 06:53 PM
I don't know how many drops the WRs ended with, but lets assume 50, which I think is close. If KC receivers drop half as many passes (25 for those following at home) then Cassel's completion % is 60%.

okiedokieokoye
01-14-2010, 06:54 PM
Yes. And next year without the added pressure. The guy is still basically a rookie QB...

FAX
01-14-2010, 07:28 PM
We have to hang our hopes on Weis. If anybody can help Cassell improve upon his mechanics and accuracy, it's Weis.

If the guy can get maybe ... 20% better, he'll be a very serviceable quarterback.

FAX

Rasputin
01-14-2010, 07:35 PM
Yes. And next year without the added pressure. The guy is still basically a rookie QB...

He will be 28 years old. No this was his rookie year imo. He must make major improvements next year. It's not all on him I know that, but at the same time he needs to deliver the goods. He needs to place the ball so that "our" guys can catch it and make playes. He needs to orchastrate drives that lead us to TDs or gield goals on a consistant level. At least keep drives going to keep our D off the field. Third down is his job to move the chains.

At 28 years old he should be in his prime of his career or atleast on the verge of it, so at 29 (his third year here) he should be getting us to the playoffs. At age 30 (his fourth year here) he should be winning us playoff games and continding for AFC championship. At age 31 (his fifth year here) he better be winning us a SUPER BOWL!!!!!! That is of course the stars are lined up just right, and the Football Gods pick our draft picks for us:grovel:

Mecca
01-14-2010, 08:04 PM
That basically a rookie shit doesn't fly, him having experience was one of the things used as a plus for him.

Rasputin
01-14-2010, 08:10 PM
That basically a rookie shit doesn't fly, him having experience was one of the things used as a plus for him.

That's what I am saying. You don't draft a 27 year old QB out of college people would be screaming about his age. He will be 28 next year and should be in his prime, he should have "it" no excuses for him.

Mecca
01-14-2010, 08:12 PM
What is he? Chris Weinke?

Rasputin
01-14-2010, 08:29 PM
Huard had some good games when he replaced Trent, but he was a career back up QB and boy did he become how should I say this " S U C K " . Now we get another career back up QB from New England, he may have had two good games this year on his own. It took him 15 weeks to drive the football down field for a TD in the first quarter. It was a NFL record not to score a TD in the first quarter for 15 games. He finally did it and looked good against the Broncos but it was Jamall Charles and Derrick Johnson that destroyed the Broncos. Matt Cassel did play ok I give him credit for that game.

Twenty years Carl Peterson has gotten us QBs from other teams. They havn't done jack sh!t to win us a Super Bowl. Matt Blundin and Brodie Croyle are the only two QBs I can think of that we drafted for the future but they didn't get the chance to be "franchise". Brodie had a chance but got hurt.

Brodie looked better in the Ravens game than Matt Cassel did all season exept maybe the Broncos game. I'm not saying Brodie should be the guy, but at some point we need to draft a QBOTF

el borracho
01-14-2010, 08:36 PM
About nine years ago I said we should have signed Kerry Collins (free-agent at the time) and, sadly, Collins would still be an improvement over what we have today. Cassel hasn't demonstrated any of the qualities I associate with a franchise QB. Cassel is like one of the Detmer brothers- just good enough to hang around the league for a while.

boogblaster
01-14-2010, 08:50 PM
He's not real accurate .. That can be improved .. His arm isn't that strong .. That can't be improved .. His recievers did drop over 50 balls .. That has to improve .. THe running game now should take some of the pressure off him .. The coaching now should improve his reads and check-downs ......

Coogs
01-14-2010, 09:18 PM
Personally, I think Cassel showed us enough this year that if Clausen is available at #5 you take him and don't look back.

jAZ
01-14-2010, 09:25 PM
If he would have shown steady imrpovement as the season went along, id be ok with him.

But as the team got better, he got worse....

That's reasonable, but it's not like he hasn't shown himself capable of throwing with 65+% accuracy. I expect an improved Cassel next season. We all should.

MahiMike
01-14-2010, 09:27 PM
He's da bomb.

jAZ
01-14-2010, 09:29 PM
Personally, I think Cassel showed us enough this year that if Clausen is available at #5 you take him and don't look back.

As much as I will defend Cassel, I'd agree with that 100%. I would have no problem taking a top QB at the top of the draft. Particularly with Weis here. QB is *that* important a position.

jAZ
01-14-2010, 09:30 PM

Agreed.

Chiefaholic
01-14-2010, 09:31 PM
One the fence.. He needs protection and weapons that not only get open but actually catch the ball when it hits them in the hands.

Deberg_1990
01-14-2010, 09:38 PM

Agree 100%. Doubtful Pioli feels the same. His ego wouldnt allow it.

Redrum_69
01-14-2010, 09:41 PM
Matt is the next Rick Mirer

FAX
01-14-2010, 09:48 PM
You know, the guy who might just benefit most from the Weis hiring is Croyle.

I've always liked Croyle, in that I think he has the makings of a really good NFL QB. His fragility aside, Weis might help him a lot. He could be a very effective backup for us should a backup actually be needed at some point.

FAX

wutamess
01-14-2010, 10:29 PM
hmmm... Am I the only one that sees that he throws ducks up just like Trent Green on his deep passes? I think Brady is a better fit than Cassel is but with the politics we'll never find out.

Brodie isn't exactly helping himself by weighing 115 lbs either.

|Zach|
01-14-2010, 10:31 PM

http://mocoloco.com/archives/off_the_grid_book.jpg

Tits McGee
01-14-2010, 10:32 PM

with a little Joey Harrington and David Carr, all no's.

Sweet Dick Willy
01-15-2010, 02:31 AM
I agree. Dude screams franchise.

ROFL

I don't know why, but the chorus of this song just feels like the "Matt Cassel" tune:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/YKfVYPWLOUw&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/YKfVYPWLOUw&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Slainte
01-15-2010, 06:18 AM
At best, IF he eliminates the mental mistakes, the technical miscues and improves his accuracy, he be a competent game manager.

King_Chief_Fan
01-15-2010, 08:10 AM
I gave him a pass his first year.
We will be adding the components necessary for him to be successful.
QB Coach/OC who will want to get protection and playmakers for the offense. I don't see him having or people making enough excuses for him after the coming season.
After this coming season we should have a good idea of what we have (it may be the same as we think now)

TigerPig
01-15-2010, 08:14 AM
Look for him to be benched and replaced with Croyle if he doesn't show improvement by about week eight.

I think this is where Haley's insistence on keeping Brodie comes from. Haley wants to win, and although right now he HAS to play Cassel, I think that he thinks if he gives him a year and a half that is a sufficient amount of time to prove himself, huge contract or not.

I'd love to think what Pioli thinks about Cassel right now. Not what he's saying or anything like that, but what is going through his head.

Slainte
01-15-2010, 08:25 AM
Look for him to be benched and replaced with Croyle if he doesn't show improvement by about week eight.

Then I'll look for Cassel to back off the bench in week nine after Brokie gets smashed like a glass frog dropped off the Coit Tower...

Manila-Chief
01-15-2010, 08:43 AM
NO!

Last year I had high hopes for him. Now, I see him as just an "ordinary NFL QB." A franchise QB is one you build your team around. Cassel is not that guy. Can he help the team win a SB, YES! but, we must have extra strengths at many other positions for us to win a SB.

Brodie looked better in the Ravens game than Matt Cassel did all season exept maybe the Broncos game. I'm not saying Brodie should be the guy, but at some point we need to draft a QBOTF

I've always liked Croyle, in that I think he has the makings of a really good NFL QB. His fragility aside, Weis might help him a lot. He could be a very effective backup for us should a backup actually be needed at some point.

FAX

This & This...

Reflecting upon what I've heard/read in Haley's comments regarding Croyle, I think had it not been for the $63mil, he just might be our starting QB. I think Haley didn't give Brodie a chance simply because, "they" traded for Matt and he had to win the job. Yes, I'm a big Croyle fan, but these comments are more about Cassel than Croyle.

If there is a franchise QB there when we draft, I'd not oppose the choice. But, NO! this regime will not draft a possible franchise QB ... they may try to find another Brady in the last rounds, but not in first round.

At best, IF he eliminates the mental mistakes, the technical miscues and improves his accuracy, he be a competent game manager.

ROFL

Manila-Chief
01-15-2010, 08:54 AM
Then I'll look for Cassel to back off the bench in week nine after Brokie gets smashed like a glass frog dropped off the Coit Tower...

And what'is to prevent Cassel from having a 350 lb. DT fall on him in game 1 and injury his right shoulder. AZ has a special QB now because Trent Green went down. Injuries are part of the NFL!!!

EyePod
01-15-2010, 09:03 AM
Yes right now. No if he doesn't show significant improvement next season when there'll be literally less pressure (esp. with the emergence of Jamaal).

EyePod
01-15-2010, 09:05 AM

FAX

I love Croyle. He dumps the ball away when he needs to, and doesn't throw terrible passes as often as Cassel does (% wise I mean). His injury problem is his only weakness. And availablity is really important.