PDA

View Full Version : Earl Thomas if Berry is gone?

Chiefnj2
01-15-2010, 01:23 PM
http://www.mockingthedraft.com/2010/1/14/1251979/earl-thomas-nfl-draft-scouting
5’10, 197 pounds | Safety | Texas

Agility/Hips: Shows smooth, fluid hips in his backpedal. Is a quick-twitch athlete, which would help him if a team decides to use him at cornerback. Exceptional short-area quickness. Can turn his hips

Ball Skills: Thomas has perhaps the best ball skills of any defensive back in this year’s class – Eric Berry included. Thomas is a natural with the ball in the air. He catches the ball like a wide receiver and properly carries the ball. Intercepted eight passes as a sophomore, and returned two for touchdowns.

Body Control: Great high-point agility. Times his leaps really well and reportedly has a good vertical. Maintains his balance while changing direction.
Instincts: Possesses elite recognition skills – both against the pass and sniffing out the run. When he plays back in coverage, Thomas does an excellent job of reading the quarterback’s eyes.

Pass Coverage: Thomas has the skills to be a starting cornerback in the NFL. He stays low in his backpedal and doesn’t take false steps in his break. Adept playing in zone. Has the quickness and playing intelligence to give up a cushion and breaking back on the play. Locates the ball exceptionally well, especially when it’s in the air.

Pursuit: Although Thomas gives up a good amount of size, he doesn’t mind taking on large blockers. Has flawless lateral pursuit.

Run Support: Gives a good effort supporting the run, but doesn’t have the size to always be a factor. Breaks on the ball really well. Not much more than a help player against the inside run. Doesn’t have the size to shoot through gaps in the middle and can be manhandled by guards and centers. Does a nice job of working the outside run.

Size: Listed by Texas at 5-foot-10 and 197 pounds, Thomas has average size for the position. His legs are strong throughout, so if he gets bigger he may not face a loss of quickness or speed. Where Thomas needs to get much stronger is in his upper body. He’s tight-skinned, but doesn’t have enough power to take on strong running backs in the open field.

Speed: Has very good straight-line speed to stay with receivers on deep routes. With his speed, Thomas can afford to play off tight ends which allows him to diagnose the play. Tackling: Solid contact tackler. Solid wrap-up tackler in the open space and will lower his shoulder and pop the ball carrier. In traffic and near the line of scrimmage, Thomas will sometimes become an arm tackler and miss. When he shows good technique, Thomas shows he can lower his pads and run through receivers.

Final word: Thomas had nothing short of a phenomenal season. He was second on Texas with 71 total tackles. He intercepted eight passes and totaled 16 pass breakups and 24 passes defended. Add to those numbers five tackles for a loss and you have one of the best seasons for a defensive back ever.
So when Thomas, a redshirt sophomore, announced he was entering the 2010 NFL Draft, it was no surprise. He was a finalist for the Jim Thorpe Award, which is given to the nation’s top defensive back. Several publications named him a first-team All-American and first-team All-Big-12 member.
Thomas started every game he played at Texas, 27 in total. Some might consider him as inexperienced, but Thomas has shown he has the football acumen to play at the next level. Played safety in college, but some teams might consider him a cornerback. His ball skills, agility and speed would say as much

http://www.draftboardinsider.com/cgi-bin/prospect.cgi?id=1089

Scouting Report: Thomas has a solid build, lean with a small waist and long limbs. He plays a FS at Texas but is asked to do a little of everything. And trust me, he does it all. Only a redshirt sophomore but his coverage skills are very good. He has great anticipation and does an excellent job of reading and diagnosing the making the big play on the ball. He's one of the most physical safetys in the draft, and has no qualms about sacrificing his body for a play. Some think that he's better suited to play a very physical CB in the NFL, to maximize his coverage skills, and try and keep his body in tact. The only real negatives to Thomas' game are the fact that he plays more physical than his frame will hold and it could shorten his NFL career and that he does at times play a little out of control and forgets his assignments.

Draft Status: Thomas is only a redshirt sophomore, but if the Longhorns win a national title, there's a real chance he makes the jump to the NFL. If he did, he'd be no worse than the 2nd safety off the board and probably the 3rd defensive back which means he's probably a top 15 pick. For a player so young, but so talented all that can happen at this point is to have his game get picked apart and hurt his stock. He's not going to get any bigger or any faster or any stronger, and his skills set is what it is.

Final Analysis: Love, love love what Thomas brings to the table. He reminds me a ton of Joe Haden only playing safety. He's got good size for CB, a little undersized for a safety as physical as he is. But he's got great strength both in coverage and in run support, he runs very well, is a great leaper, and has soft hands. He can blitz when asked to, and literally anchors the back 4 of the Longhorn defense. No matter what happens for the Longhorns this year, Thomas would be foolish to return to school when his stock really can't get much higher.

Reminds me of: Troy Polamalu, S Pittsburgh Steelers-Both a little undersized, super aggressive, and able to do anything on the football field. Thomas can certainly grow into the kind of impact player Polamalu is, given the right scheme and coaching. All the physical tools are there.

eazyb81
01-15-2010, 02:10 PM
I prefer Chad Jones but would not be upset if we went with Thomas.

This is a very deep safety draft.

Mr. Laz
01-15-2010, 02:11 PM
If Thomas is there at our 2b or in the 3rd i'm all for grabbing him.

Thomas > Mays

AustinChief
01-15-2010, 02:18 PM
If Thomas is there at our 2b or in the 3rd i'm all for grabbing him.

Thomas > Mays

Thomas won't be there for our 2a much less our 2b... He is a mid to late first rounder... 2nd or 3rd saftey taken.

Chiefnj2
01-15-2010, 02:21 PM
From everything I've read, if Thomas is 2" taller and 5lbs heavier - he'd be a top 5 pick.

Great Expectations
01-15-2010, 03:18 PM
To me it seems like safties are hurt an inordinately large amount of the time. Safties like Polamalu and Sanders are relied upon heavily in run support tend to get beat up too much and miss a lot of games. It stands to reason for me to take a larger safety to try and avoid that issue.

Icon
01-15-2010, 04:08 PM
I keep reading that this is a deep class of Safeties and that has a tendency to push quality down the board. We might be able to get a really good safety with one of our two 2nd round picks if we don't go Berry with our 1st.

Chiefnj2
01-15-2010, 04:13 PM
To me it seems like safties are hurt an inordinately large amount of the time. Safties like Polamalu and Sanders are relied upon heavily in run support tend to get beat up too much and miss a lot of games. It stands to reason for me to take a larger safety to try and avoid that issue.

Do you think there is a correlation between safety size and injuries? Or are the smaller guys just a little more scrappy and tend to get hurt because of their style?

Great Expectations
01-15-2010, 04:20 PM
Do you think there is a correlation between safety size and injuries? Or are the smaller guys just a little more scrappy and tend to get hurt because of their style?

I haven't looked at it too closely. Sanders and Polamalu aren't big by NFL standards and they both throw themselves around a lot. They probably get hurt some because they aren't big enough. Their respective defenses go from very good to very mediocre very quickly when they get hurt. The Raven's D also gets mediocre pretty quick when Reed is hurt.

kepp
01-15-2010, 05:28 PM
From everything I've read, if Thomas is 2" taller and 5lbs heavier - he'd be a top 5 pick.

He needs to talk to Chase Daniel about his pre-combine workouts then :)

Saccopoo
01-15-2010, 07:13 PM

Or you would have Robert Johnson, who had a huge season this year. He might even be around with the first pick in the fifth round. (I doubt it due to the season he had, but a lot of safeties are now in the draft and might push some of them down the list.)

ArrowheadMagic
01-15-2010, 08:46 PM
Rather go Nate Jones or Reshad Jones, maybe even Robert Johnson from Utah in the 4th or 5th.

Mr. Laz
01-15-2010, 09:15 PM
Thomas won't be there for our 2a much less our 2b... He is a mid to late first rounder... 2nd or 3rd saftey taken.
maybe so ... but then i heard that about all sorts of players every year.

with all due respect, it's impossible for 50 players to go in the 1st round of the draft.

AustinChief
01-15-2010, 09:43 PM
maybe so ... but then i heard that about all sorts of players every year.

with all due respect, it's impossible for 50 players to go in the 1st round of the draft.
I agree but he definitely won't make it to our 2nd 2nd rounder (barring a medical condition or awful combine).. I would be AMAZED if he made it to our 1st 2nd... I'd even be tempted to take him there even if we DID take Berry at #5... he would be that much of a steal IMHO.

Mr. Laz
01-15-2010, 09:57 PM
I agree but he definitely won't make it to our 2nd 2nd rounder (barring a medical condition or awful combine).. I would be AMAZED if he made it to our 1st 2nd... I'd even be tempted to take him there even if we DID take Berry at #5... he would be that much of a steal IMHO.
you very well could be correct ... it's soooo hard to predict where a player is going to go. If Thomas interviews well and catches a team's eye he could go early.

if he doesn't, no telling how far he falls

Saccopoo
01-15-2010, 10:33 PM
you very well could be correct ... it's soooo hard to predict where a player is going to go. If Thomas interviews well and catches a team's eye he could go early.

I don't see it. Berry is coming off a very sub-standard year by comparison of his first two years, while Thomas is coming off a season that would be considered superb even by Berry standards. The two are very close in terms of size and ability (and people are starting to say that Thomas has even better ball instincts than Berry). I think you are looking at the two top guys at their position in the draft and depending upon combine and interviews you might even see a switch in terms of who a team likes of the two. I think it's a lot closer than most people think just because Berry has had the hype since last year.

ArrowheadMagic
01-15-2010, 10:47 PM
I don't see it. Berry is coming off a very sub-standard year by comparison of his first two years, while Thomas is coming off a season that would be considered superb even by Berry standards. The two are very close in terms of size and ability (and people are starting to say that Thomas has even better ball instincts than Berry). I think you are looking at the two top guys at their position in the draft and depending upon combine and interviews you might even see a switch in terms of who a team likes of the two. I think it's a lot closer than most people think just because Berry has had the hype since last year.

Thomas will not make the impact in run support that Berry does and will. While Thomas does have good ball skills, he isnt a pure cover guy, like Berry is and can be. Berry is the better prospect. Thomas' only issue will be run support and how he holds up physically. But as prospects Berry is ahead of him. Now if you want to talk about Mays, then you have some discussion.

RustShack
01-15-2010, 11:33 PM
Any relation to Derrick?

Chiefnj2
01-16-2010, 10:41 AM

He's a first round talent. I'm pretty sure he wouldn't have come out if he didn't get a high grade from the board.

Mr. Laz
01-16-2010, 11:49 AM
He's a first round talent. I'm pretty sure he wouldn't have come out if he didn't get a high grade from the board.
which has very little to do with how he performs at the combine and how he interviews.

if he interviews like an arrogant dumbass he will fall regardless of how high he graded out before the draft.

nevermind ... i'm not gonna argue about it.

i had the same argument many times before ... Dorsey will never be there when we pick, no way does Bowe make it past .... Derrick Johnson will never fall ... blah,blah,blah.

none of us know and will just have to wait and see

CoMoChief
01-18-2010, 01:52 PM
Thomas had better be the next Bob Sanders being that small as a safety.

dse2010
01-20-2010, 01:03 PM
I'd rather have Chad Jones than Thomas. Especially if it's in the 2nd round. Chad Jones easily could end up being the best safety in this draft.

Mr. Laz
01-20-2010, 01:05 PM
I'd rather have Chad Jones than Thomas. Especially if it's in the 2nd round. Chad Jones easily could end up being the best safety in this draft.

Just gonna change our name to the LSU Chiefs?

Mr. Laz
01-20-2010, 01:09 PM
LSU football: Chad Jones to enter 2010 NFL draft

By Jim Kleinpeter, The Times Picayune (http://connect.nola.com/user/jskleinp/index.html)

January 11, 2010, 2:57PM

LSU (http://www.nola.com/lsu/) junior safety Chad Jones announced Monday he will enter the 2010 NFL draft, according to a news release emailed to several media outlets by Jones' family.

http://media.nola.com/lsu_impact/photo/md-halftime-jubejpg-799e0a4519bae3ed_medium.jpg

Jones will forfeit his final season of football eligibility and his final two seasons of baseball eligibility.

"Since I was a kid growing up in a family with a strong football tradition, I've always dreamed of playing football in college and hoped one day I'd make it to the NFL," Jones said in the release. "After many discussions with my family and (LSU) Coach (Les) Miles, I feel it's the right time for me to enter the NFL draft."

Jones finished his first full season as a starter at free safety as the team's fifth leading tackler with 74 stops. He had three interceptions and broke up six passes.

Coming out of high school, Jones was drafted in the 13th round by the Houston Astros but chose to play both sports at LSU. In his first two football season, Jones played mostly as a nickel back.

It's unlikely that Jones will go in the first round, more likely the second or third, said Chris Landry, a scouting consultant for 11 NFL teams and 20 colleges. Landry, who has in the past served on the NFL Advisory Board, said there are approximately 22 underclassmen flooding the market with first round grades.

"He's not Eric Berry," said Landry, referring to Tennessee's All-American safety, who is expected to be among the top three players taken. "I think he knows to expect maybe the third round. He should fall into the top half dozen safeties. It's not an impact position."

Landry said Jones is a good athlete with ability and range, but needs to improve his consistency and technique.

Jones contributed to the LSU baseball team's drive to it's sixth NCAA title as a left-handed reliever. In LSU's 11-4 victory against Texas in the championship game, Jones retired five of the six hitters he faced with two strikeouts. He finished the season with a 2.70 earned run average in 6 2/3 inninngs pitched.

http://media.nola.com/tpphotos/photo/lsu-baseball-practice-7725dba063155e4d_small.jpg

LSU baseball Coach Paul Mainieri said he was informed by text from Miles Monday afternoon and said he had mixed emotions.

"A part of me is disappointed I won't have him here to coach next season and a part of me is disappointed he won't be back with the football team," LSU baseball Coach Paul Mainieri said. "On the other hand, I'm happy for him. It's the fulfillment of a dream. He has my full support."

Mainieri said because of the uncertainty he wasn't planning on having Jones and if he returned, it would be "lagniappe" for the Tiger baseball team.

"He helped us win a national championship and for that I will always be grateful," Mainieri said.

Titty Meat
09-27-2010, 02:42 PM
Thomas is the best safety so far.

Crush
09-28-2010, 08:02 PM
Berry's contribution to the Run D cannot be ignored.

kysirsoze
09-28-2010, 09:43 PM

Crennel's defensive schemes are also extremely complicated, especially for the safeties. He''l catch up and it will be awesome. Of course he'll probably get lit up by Manning.:(

Crush
09-29-2010, 10:11 PM
KEEP FUCKING DOUBTING ERIC BERRY!!!

Chiefnj2
09-30-2010, 10:59 AM

It's impossible to judge from this point forward. One is a free safety who will try to make his name picking off passes, the other is a strong safety who will make a name making hits and stopping the run.